Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in Liège, Wallonia, Belgium
Locale: Liège, Wallonia, Belgium
Topic: escherichia coli
- Szalo I, Goffaux F, Pirson V, Pierard D, Ball H, Mainil J. Presence in bovine enteropathogenic (EPEC) and enterohaemorrhagic (EHEC) Escherichia coli of genes encoding for putative adhesins of human EHEC strains. Res Microbiol. 2002;153:653-8 pubmed..Overall results showed that different genes encoding for putative adhesins of human EHEC strains are present in bovine EPEC and EHEC strains, but not one of them is present in all strains. ..
- Bebrone C, Anne C, De Vriendt K, Devreese B, Rossolini G, Van Beeumen J, et al. Dramatic broadening of the substrate profile of the Aeromonas hydrophila CphA metallo-beta-lactamase by site-directed mutagenesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28195-202 pubmed..The double mutant is significantly activated by the binding of a second zinc ion under conditions where the WT enzyme is non-competitively inhibited by the same ion. ..
- Makarchikov A, Brans A, Bettendorff L. Thiamine diphosphate adenylyl transferase from E. coli: functional characterization of the enzyme synthesizing adenosine thiamine triphosphate. BMC Biochem. 2007;8:17 pubmed..The existence of a mechanism for the enzymatic synthesis of this compound is in agreement with the hypothesis of a non-cofactor role for thiamine derivatives in living cells. ..
- Gigliobianco T, Lakaye B, Makarchikov A, Wins P, Bettendorff L. Adenylate kinase-independent thiamine triphosphate accumulation under severe energy stress in Escherichia coli. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:16 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they show that E. coli accumulate large amounts of ThTP under severe energy stress when ATP levels are very low, an observation not in favor of an ATP-dependent mechanisms for ThTP synthesis. ..
- Sauvage E, Powell A, Heilemann J, Josephine H, Charlier P, Davies C, et al. Crystal structures of complexes of bacterial DD-peptidases with peptidoglycan-mimetic ligands: the substrate specificity puzzle. J Mol Biol. 2008;381:383-93 pubmed publisher..This striking deficiency may represent a sophisticated defense mechanism against low-molecular-mass substrate-analogue inhibitors/antibiotics; its discovery should focus new inhibitor design...
- Pennartz A, Généreux C, Parquet C, Mengin Lecreulx D, Joris B. Substrate-induced inactivation of the Escherichia coli AmiD N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidase highlights a new strategy to inhibit this class of enzyme. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:2991-7 pubmed publisher..The soluble truncated AmiD exhibits a biphasic kinetic time course that can be explained by the inactivation of the enzyme by the substrate. This behavior highlights a new strategy to inhibit this class of enzymes. ..
- Gigliobianco T, Lakaye B, Wins P, El Moualij B, Zorzi W, Bettendorff L. Adenosine thiamine triphosphate accumulates in Escherichia coli cells in response to specific conditions of metabolic stress. BMC Microbiol. 2010;10:148 pubmed publisher..Both conditions prevent bacterial growth. There is no obvious link with the stringent response or catabolite repression. ..
- Kohn G, Delvaux D, Lakaye B, Servais A, Scholer G, Fillet M, et al. High inorganic triphosphatase activities in bacteria and mammalian cells: identification of the enzymes involved. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43879 pubmed publisher..The role of these enzymes may be to hydrolyze PPP(i), which could be cytotoxic because of its high affinity for Ca(2+), thereby interfering with Ca(2+) signaling. ..
- Magoué C, Melin P, Gangoue Pieboji J, Okomo Assoumou M, Boreux R, de Mol P. Prevalence and spread of extended-spectrum ?-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Ngaoundere, Cameroon. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013;19:E416-20 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of outpatients, inpatients, their carers, hospital workers and their families as reservoirs of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae. ..
- Lakaye B, Makarchikov A, Antunes A, Zorzi W, Coumans B, De Pauw E, et al. Molecular characterization of a specific thiamine triphosphatase widely expressed in mammalian tissues. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13771-7 pubmed..The mRNA was expressed in most human tissues but at relatively low levels. This is the first report of a molecular characterization of a specific ThTPase. ..