Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Gembloux, Wallonia, Belgium
Locale: Gembloux, Wallonia, Belgium
- Debacq C, Heraud J, Asquith B, Bangham C, Merien F, Moules V, et al. Reduced cell turnover in lymphocytic monkeys infected by human T-lymphotropic virus type 1. Oncogene. 2005;24:7514-23 pubmed..This dynamics significantly differs from the generalized activation of the T-cell turnover induced by other primate lymphotropic viruses like HIV and SIV. ..
- Harmel N, Letocart E, Cherqui A, Giordanengo P, Mazzucchelli G, Guillonneau F, et al. Identification of aphid salivary proteins: a proteomic investigation of Myzus persicae. Insect Mol Biol. 2008;17:165-74 pubmed publisher..persicae saliva. The presence of these enzymes is discussed in terms of plant-aphid interactions. ..
- Massue D, Moore S, Mageni Z, Moore J, Bradley J, Pigeon O, et al. Durability of Olyset campaign nets distributed between 2009 and 2011 in eight districts of Tanzania. Malar J. 2016;15:176 pubmed publisher..However, the majority of nets still retained substantial levels of permethrin and could still be bio-chemically useful against mosquitoes if their holes were repaired, adding evidence to the value of net care and repair campaigns. ..
- Merezak C, Reichert M, Van Lint C, Kerkhofs P, Portetelle D, Willems L, et al. Inhibition of histone deacetylases induces bovine leukemia virus expression in vitro and in vivo. J Virol. 2002;76:5034-42 pubmed..Together, our results show that BLV gene expression is, like that of a very small fraction of cellular genes, also regulated by deacetylation. ..
- Hubaux R, Vandermeers F, Crisanti M, Crisanti C, Kapoor V, Burny A, et al. Preclinical evidence for a beneficial impact of valproate on the response of small cell lung cancer to first-line chemotherapy. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:1724-34 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that VPA augments anticancer activity of cisplatin and etoposide, two components of the standard first-line chemotherapy of small cell lung cancer. ..
- Florins A, Boxus M, Vandermeers F, Verlaeten O, Bouzar A, Defoiche J, et al. Emphasis on cell turnover in two hosts infected by bovine leukemia virus: a rationale for host susceptibility to disease. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2008;125:1-7 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, B lymphocyte turnover is increased in BLV-infected sheep but reduced in cattle, revealing a potential relationship between cell kinetics and disease progression...
- Dequiedt F, Kettmann R, Burny A, Willems L. Nucleotide sequence of the ovine P53 tumor-suppressor cDNA and its genomic organization. DNA Seq. 1995;5:255-9 pubmed..We also report the structure of the ovine p53 gene that is similar to those already defined from other species. ..
- Martin M, Kettmann R, Dequiedt F. Class IIa histone deacetylases: conducting development and differentiation. Int J Dev Biol. 2009;53:291-301 pubmed publisher..Elucidating cellular and molecular mechanisms by which functions of class IIa HDACs are modulated could potentially lead to new therapeutic opportunities for various diseases. ..
- Mattéotti C, Haubruge E, Thonart P, Francis F, De Pauw E, Portetelle D, et al. Characterization of a new ?-glucosidase/?-xylosidase from the gut microbiota of the termite (Reticulitermes santonensis). FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2011;314:147-57 pubmed publisher..The new ?-glucosidase was expressed in E. coli and purified by affinity chromatography. The purified enzyme shows maximal activity at pH 6.0 and 40?°C. It also displays ?-xylosidase activity...
- Francis F, Gerkens P, Harmel N, Mazzucchelli G, De Pauw E, Haubruge E. Proteomics in Myzus persicae: effect of aphid host plant switch. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2006;36:219-27 pubmed..These techniques are very reliable to describe the proteome from organisms such as insects in response to particular environmental change such as host plant species of herbivores. ..
- Dequiedt F, Martin M, von Blume J, Vertommen D, Lecomte E, Mari N, et al. New role for hPar-1 kinases EMK and C-TAK1 in regulating localization and activity of class IIa histone deacetylases. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7086-102 pubmed..e., Ser155, is a prerequisite for the phosphorylation of the nearby 14-3-3 site, Ser181. We propose that this multisite hierarchical phosphorylation by a variety of kinases allows for sophisticated regulation of class IIa HDACs function. ..
- Vandermoten S, Francis F, Haubruge E, Leal W. Conserved odorant-binding proteins from aphids and eavesdropping predators. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23608 pubmed publisher..For the first time we have demonstrated that insect species belonging to distinct Orders have conserved OBPs, which specifically bind a common semiochemical and has no binding affinity for related compounds. ..
- Frederickx C, Dekeirsschieter J, Brostaux Y, Wathelet J, Verheggen F, Haubruge E. Volatile organic compounds released by blowfly larvae and pupae: new perspectives in forensic entomology. Forensic Sci Int. 2012;219:215-20 pubmed publisher..We concluded, based on the analysis of the released volatile organic compounds, that it is possible to increase the accuracy of the estimated PMI, through improved estimation of the age of blowflies present on the cadaver. ..
- Sneyers M, Kettmann R, Massart S, Renaville R, Burny A, Portetelle D. Cloning and characterization of a cDNA encoding the beta-subunit of the bovine insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor. DNA Seq. 1991;1:405-6 pubmed..This communication reports the sequence of the beta-subunit of the insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor. It shares 91.1% homology at the nucleotide level and 97.7% at the amino acid level with the equivalent human receptor subunit. ..
- Twizere J, Kruys V, Lef bvre L, Vanderplasschen A, Collete D, Debacq C, et al. Interaction of retroviral Tax oncoproteins with tristetraprolin and regulation of tumor necrosis factor-alpha expression. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:1846-59 pubmed..This observation is of importance for the cell transformation process induced by leukemogenic retroviruses, because TNF-alpha overexpression plays a central role in pathogenesis...
- Sneyers M, Kettmann R, Massart S, Renaville R, Burny A, Portetelle D. Cloning and characterization of a cDNA encoding the bovine insulin-like growth factor binding protein 1 (bIGFBP-1). DNA Seq. 1991;1:407-8 pubmed..This communication reports the complete amino acid sequence (263 amino acids) for the insulin-like growth factor binding protein 1 in the bovine (bIGFBP-1). It is 70% homologous with the equivalent IGFBP-1 in human and rat. ..
- Claes V, Taquet A, Kettmann R, Burny A. Sequence analysis of the pig phosphoglucose isomerase gene promoter region. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990;1087:339-40 pubmed..The sequence organization of the pig PGI promoter is similar to that of other housekeeping genes. This GC-rich region includes a TATA-like box, two putative Sp1 recognition sites but no CCAAT box. ..
- Heuskin S, Lorge S, Godin B, Leroy P, Frère I, Verheggen F, et al. Optimisation of a semiochemical slow-release alginate formulation attractive towards Aphidius ervi Haliday parasitoids. Pest Manag Sci. 2012;68:127-36 pubmed publisher..Semiochemical alginate beads can be considered as efficient slow-release systems in biological control. These formulations could be very useful to attract aphid parasitoids on crop fields. ..
- Dembele K, Haubruge E, Gaspar C. Concentration effects of selected insecticides on brain acetylcholinesterase in the common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2000;45:49-54 pubmed..1x10(-7) to 8.12x10(-4) M in both single inhibitory action and joint inhibitory effect. The results suggest that in biomonitoring programs carp brain AChE can be a good diagnostic tool for chronic OP nd C pollution. ..
- Verheggen F, Haubruge E, Mescher M. Alarm pheromones-chemical signaling in response to danger. Vitam Horm. 2010;83:215-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude with a brief discussion of the potential exploitation of alarm signaling to achieve the applied goal of managing pest species. ..
- Claes V, Kettmann R, Burny A. Structure of the gene encoding pig phosphoglucose isomerase. Gene. 1994;150:235-41 pubmed..Extending from the 5'-flanking region to the first intron, a 0.6-kb CpG island has been identified. The Pgi structural gene contains several DNA repetitive elements in its non-coding regions. ..
- Dequiedt F, Willems L, Burny A, Kettmann R. Nucleotide sequence of the bovine P53 tumor-suppressor cDNA. DNA Seq. 1995;5:261-4 pubmed..Furthermore, the homology is not equally distributed along the molecule since the highest divergence is located within the exon 4. The bovine p53 shares 93% and 91% homology with the ovine p53 at the DNA and protein level respectively. ..
- Dekeirsschieter J, Stefanuto P, Brasseur C, Haubruge E, Focant J. Enhanced characterization of the smell of death by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry (GCxGC-TOFMS). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39005 pubmed publisher..The use of GCxGC-TOFMS in study of postmortem volatile compounds instead of conventional GC-MS was successful. ..
- Nguyen B, Saegerman C, Pirard C, Mignon J, Widart J, Thirionet B, et al. Does imidacloprid seed-treated maize have an impact on honey bee mortality?. J Econ Entomol. 2009;102:616-23 pubmed..Our results support the hypothesis that imidacloprid seed-treated maize has no negative impact on honey bees. ..
- Vermeulen C, Lejeune P, Lisein J, Sawadogo P, Bouché P. Unmanned aerial survey of elephants. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54700 pubmed publisher..Technological evolution will make civil UAS more efficient, allowing them to compete with light aircraft for aerial wildlife surveys...
- Zirbes L, Nguyen B, de Graaf D, De Meulenaer B, Reybroeck W, Haubruge E, et al. Hydroxymethylfurfural: a possible emergent cause of honey bee mortality?. J Agric Food Chem. 2013;61:11865-70 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews the current knowledge of the presence of HMF in honey bee environment and possible consequences on bee mortality. Some lines of inquiry for further toxicological analysis are likewise proposed. ..
- Yu Q, Reichert M, Brousseau T, Cleuter Y, Burny A, Kettmann R. Sequence of bovine CD5. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:5296 pubmed
- Gillet N, Florins A, Boxus M, Burteau C, Nigro A, Vandermeers F, et al. Mechanisms of leukemogenesis induced by bovine leukemia virus: prospects for novel anti-retroviral therapies in human. Retrovirology. 2007;4:18 pubmed..Recently, the BLV model has also cast light onto novel prospects for therapies of HTLV induced diseases, for which no satisfactory treatment exists so far...
- Rey C, Vanderschuren H. Cassava Mosaic and Brown Streak Diseases: Current Perspectives and Beyond. Annu Rev Virol. 2017;4:429-452 pubmed publisher..This review explores established and new technologies for genetic manipulation to achieve desired traits such as virus resistance. ..
- Merezak C, Pierreux C, Adam E, Lemaigre F, Rousseau G, Calomme C, et al. Suboptimal enhancer sequences are required for efficient bovine leukemia virus propagation in vivo: implications for viral latency. J Virol. 2001;75:6977-88 pubmed..These observations, which were obtained in an animal model for HTLV-1, are of interest for oncovirus-induced pathogenesis in humans...
- Mattéotti C, Thonart P, Francis F, Haubruge E, Destain J, Brasseur C, et al. New glucosidase activities identified by functional screening of a genomic DNA library from the gut microbiota of the termite Reticulitermes santonensis. Microbiol Res. 2011;166:629-42 pubmed publisher..The substrate specificities and characteristic activities of these enzymes suggest that they may intervene in the depolymerisation of cellulose and hemicellulose. ..
- Lefebvre L, Vanderplasschen A, Ciminale V, Heremans H, Dangoisse O, Jauniaux J, et al. Oncoviral bovine leukemia virus G4 and human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 p13(II) accessory proteins interact with farnesyl pyrophosphate synthetase. J Virol. 2002;76:1400-14 pubmed..Identification of FPPS as a molecular partner for p13(II) and G4 accessory proteins opens new prospects for treatment of retrovirus-induced leukemia...
- Jansen J, Defrance T, Warnier A. Effects of organic-farming-compatible insecticides on four aphid natural enemy species. Pest Manag Sci. 2010;66:650-6 pubmed publisher..Insecticidal soaps could be considered as an alternative for aphid control in organic farming in terms of selectivity. ..
- Gatot J, Callebaut I, Van Lint C, Demonte D, Kerkhofs P, Portetelle D, et al. Bovine leukemia virus SU protein interacts with zinc, and mutations within two interacting regions differently affect viral fusion and infectivity in vivo. J Virol. 2002;76:7956-67 pubmed
- Dekeirsschieter J, Verheggen F, Gohy M, Hubrecht F, Bourguignon L, Lognay G, et al. Cadaveric volatile organic compounds released by decaying pig carcasses (Sus domesticus L.) in different biotopes. Forensic Sci Int. 2009;189:46-53 pubmed publisher..The main cadaveric VOCs are acids, cyclic hydrocarbons, oxygenated compounds, sulfur and nitrogen compounds. A better knowledge of the smell of death and their volatile constituents may have many applications in forensic sciences...
- Florins A, Gillet N, Asquith B, Boxus M, Burteau C, Twizere J, et al. Cell dynamics and immune response to BLV infection: a unifying model. Front Biosci. 2007;12:1520-31 pubmed..As conclusion, we propose a hypothetical model unifying all these mechanisms...
- Willems L, Kettmann R, Chen G, Portetelle D, Burny A, Derse D. A cyclic AMP-responsive DNA-binding protein (CREB2) is a cellular transactivator of the bovine leukemia virus long terminal repeat. J Virol. 1992;66:766-72 pubmed..These data suggest that the cyclic AMP pathway plays a role in the regulation of viral expression in BLV-infected animals...
- Debacq C, Sanchez Alcaraz M, Mortreux F, Kerkhofs P, Kettmann R, Willems L. Reduced proviral loads during primo-infection of sheep by Bovine Leukemia virus attenuated mutants. Retrovirology. 2004;1:31 pubmed..In order to better understand the mechanisms associated with this period, we aimed at analyzing simultaneously three parameters: B-lymphocytosis, cell proliferation and viral replication...
- Willems L, Kettmann R, Chen G, Portetelle D, Burny A, Derse D. Nucleotide sequence of the bovine cyclic-AMP responsive DNA binding protein (CREB2) cDNA. DNA Seq. 1991;1:415-7 pubmed..The deduced amino acid sequence revealed that CREB2 contains a leucine zipper structure (residue 295 to 316), a basic amino acid domain (residue 268 to 291) and several potential phosphorylation sites. ..
- Fassotte C, Delecolle J, Cors R, Defrance T, De Deken R, Haubruge E, et al. Culicoides trapping with Rothamsted suction traps before and during the bluetongue epidemic of 2006 in Belgium. Prev Vet Med. 2008;87:74-83 pubmed publisher..newsteadi. This paper examines the overall phenology and the physiological status of Culicoides in 2006 before and during the bluetongue epidemic. It discusses the potential of the Rothamsted suction trap to monitor Culicoides...
- Colinet F, Vanderick S, Charloteaux B, Eggen A, Gengler N, Renaville B, et al. Genomic location of the bovine growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR) gene and investigation of genetic polymorphism. Anim Biotechnol. 2009;20:28-33 pubmed publisher..These variations are located in the extracellular N-terminal end, the exoloop 2, and the cytoloop 3 of the receptor, respectively. ..
- Vandermeers F, Hubert P, Delvenne P, Mascaux C, Grigoriu B, Burny A, et al. Valproate, in combination with pemetrexed and cisplatin, provides additional efficacy to the treatment of malignant mesothelioma. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:2818-28 pubmed publisher..These observations support the potential additional efficacy of valproate in combination with pemetrexed and cisplatin for treatment of malignant mesothelioma. ..
- Debacq C, Asquith B, Kerkhofs P, Portetelle D, Burny A, Kettmann R, et al. Increased cell proliferation, but not reduced cell death, induces lymphocytosis in bovine leukemia virus-infected sheep. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10048-53 pubmed..The imbalance created by the net increase in proliferation in the absence of compensating cell death reveals a complex mechanism of feedback regulation controlling homeostasis in the blood compartment...
- Vandermoten S, Santini S, Haubruge E, Heuze F, Francis F, Brasseur R, et al. Structural features conferring dual geranyl/farnesyl diphosphate synthase activity to an aphid prenyltransferase. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;39:707-16 pubmed publisher..Thus the aphid enzyme apparently evolved to maintain the capacity to produce both GPP and FPP through a balance between these mechanisms...
- Durieux D, Fischer C, Brostaux Y, Sloggett J, Deneubourg J, Vandereycken A, et al. Role of long-chain hydrocarbons in the aggregation behaviour of Harmonia axyridis (Pallas) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae). J Insect Physiol. 2012;58:801-7 pubmed publisher..These findings support the potential use of these blends, in association with volatiles, in the design of traps in order to control infestations of this species in dwellings. ..
- Florins A, de Brogniez A, Elemans M, Bouzar A, François C, Reichert M, et al. Viral expression directs the fate of B cells in bovine leukemia virus-infected sheep. J Virol. 2012;86:621-4 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, cyclosporine treatment of these animals indicated that an efficient immune response is required to control virus-expressing cells...
- Colinet D, Kummert J, Lepoivre P. The nucleotide sequence and genome organization of the whitefly transmitted sweetpotato mild mottle virus: a close relationship with members of the family Potyviridae. Virus Res. 1998;53:187-96 pubmed..Despite similarities with rymoviruses, potyviruses and, to a lesser extent, bymoviruses, comparative sequence analyses demonstrated that SPMMV belongs to a distinct genus of the family Potyviridae...