Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular sequence data in Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Locale: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Topic: molecular sequence data
Publications156 found, 100 shown here
- Van Der Haegen A, Peigneur S, Tytgat J. Importance of position 8 in ?-conotoxin KIIIA for voltage-gated sodium channel selectivity. FEBS J. 2011;278:3408-18 pubmed publisher..Replacement of Trp8 enables more selective blockers to be obtained for neuronal sodium channels. Trp is a key determinant for the reversibility of block of rNa(v)1.2. ..
- Kesters D, Thompson A, Brams M, van Elk R, Spurny R, Geitmann M, et al. Structural basis of ligand recognition in 5-HT3 receptors. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:49-56 pubmed publisher..Our study offers the first structural perspective on recognition of serotonin and antagonism by anti-emetics in the 5-HT(3) receptor. ..
- De Loof A, Huybrechts R. "Insects do not have sex hormones": a myth?. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 1998;111:245-60 pubmed..Other gender-specific hormones are likely to exist in the brain-gonad axis. ..
- Van Veldhoven P, Gijsbers S, Mannaerts G, Vermeesch J, Brys V. Human sphingosine-1-phosphate lyase: cDNA cloning, functional expression studies and mapping to chromosome 10q22(1). Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1487:128-34 pubmed..Northern analysis showed the presence of rare large-sized mRNAs of 6.7, 5.8 and 4 kb and the highest expression in liver. By fluorescent in situ hybridization, the gene was mapped to chromosome 10q22. ..
- Van Loock M, Vanrompay D, Herrmann B, Vander Stappen J, Volckaert G, Goddeeris B, et al. Missing links in the divergence of Chlamydophila abortus from Chlamydophila psittaci. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2003;53:761-70 pubmed..abortus diverged from C. psittaci, and so strain R54 was designated a C. psittaci strain. It is recommended that characterization of C. psittaci and C. abortus strains should utilize more than a single method and more than a single gene...
- Spasic D, Raemaekers T, Dillen K, Declerck I, Baert V, Serneels L, et al. Rer1p competes with APH-1 for binding to nicastrin and regulates gamma-secretase complex assembly in the early secretory pathway. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:629-40 pubmed..We conclude that total cellular gamma-secretase activity is restrained by a secondary ER control system that provides a potential therapeutic value. ..
- Janssen T, Husson S, Lindemans M, Mertens I, Rademakers S, Ver Donck K, et al. Functional characterization of three G protein-coupled receptors for pigment dispersing factors in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:15241-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings strengthen the hypothesis that the PDF signaling system, which imposes the circadian clock rhythm on behavior in Drosophila, has been functionally conserved throughout the protostomian evolutionary lineage. ..
- Fierens E, Gebruers K, Voet A, De Maeyer M, Courtin C, Delcour J. Biochemical and structural characterization of TLXI, the Triticum aestivum L. thaumatin-like xylanase inhibitor. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2009;24:646-54 pubmed publisher..e. Triticum aestivum xylanase inhibitor (TAXI) and xylanase inhibitor protein (XIP). This high stability can probably be ascribed to the high number of disulfide bridges, much as seen for other thaumatin-like proteins...
- Verlinden H, Badisco L, Marchal E, Van Wielendaele P, Vanden Broeck J. Endocrinology of reproduction and phase transition in locusts. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2009;162:79-92 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we will review the current knowledge concerning this close interaction between locust phase polyphenism and reproduction. ..
- Balzarini J, Van Daele I, Negri A, Solaroli N, Karlsson A, Liekens S, et al. Human mitochondrial thymidine kinase is selectively inhibited by 3'-thiourea derivatives of beta-thymidine: identification of residues crucial for both inhibition and catalytic activity. Mol Pharmacol. 2009;75:1127-36 pubmed publisher
- Van Doorslaer K, Sidi A, Zanier K, Rybin V, Deryck re F, Rector A, et al. Identification of unusual E6 and E7 proteins within avian papillomaviruses: cellular localization, biophysical characterization, and phylogenetic analysis. J Virol. 2009;83:8759-70 pubmed publisher..Both constructs were highly soluble and well folded, according to nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy measurements...
- Lebeer S, Claes I, Balog C, Schoofs G, Verhoeven T, Nys K, et al. The major secreted protein Msp1/p75 is O-glycosylated in Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG. Microb Cell Fact. 2012;11:15 pubmed publisher..Glycosylation is not required for the peptidoglycan hydrolase activity of Msp1 nor for Akt activation capacity in epithelial cells, but appears to be important for its stability and protection against proteases. ..
- Kalender Atak Z, De Keersmaecker K, Gianfelici V, Geerdens E, Vandepoel R, Pauwels D, et al. High accuracy mutation detection in leukemia on a selected panel of cancer genes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38463 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we established an optimized analysis pipeline for Roche/454 data that can be applied to accurately detect gene mutations in cancer, which led to the identification of several new candidate T-ALL driver mutations. ..
- van Hoef V, Breugelmans B, Spit J, Simonet G, Zels S, Vanden Broeck J. Phylogenetic distribution of protease inhibitors of the Kazal-family within the Arthropoda. Peptides. 2013;41:59-65 pubmed publisher..Kazal-like inhibitors, which play an important protective role in the pancreas of vertebrates, also seem to be present in Arthropoda. ..
- Khuong T, Habets R, Kuenen S, Witkowska A, Kasprowicz J, Swerts J, et al. Synaptic PI(3,4,5)P3 is required for Syntaxin1A clustering and neurotransmitter release. Neuron. 2013;77:1097-108 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate that PI(3,4,5)P3, based on electrostatic interactions, clusters Syntaxin1A at release sites to regulate neurotransmitter release. ..
- Vandewalle J, Bauters M, Van Esch H, Belet S, Verbeeck J, Fieremans N, et al. The mitochondrial solute carrier SLC25A5 at Xq24 is a novel candidate gene for non-syndromic intellectual disability. Hum Genet. 2013;132:1177-85 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that SLC25A5 is involved in memory formation or establishment, which could add mitochondrial processes to the wide array of pathways that regulate normal cognitive functions. ..
- Dewerchin M, Nuffelen A, Wallays G, Bouche A, Moons L, Carmeliet P, et al. Generation and characterization of urokinase receptor-deficient mice. J Clin Invest. 1996;97:870-8 pubmed..u-PAR-1- peritoneal macrophages had a threefold decreased initial rate of u-PA-mediated plasminogen activation in vitro but degraded extracellular matrix proteins in vitro as efficiently as u-PAR-1- macrophages. ..
- Dode L, De Greef C, Mountian I, Attard M, Town M, Casteels R, et al. Structure of the human sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase 3 gene. Promoter analysis and alternative splicing of the SERCA3 pre-mRNA. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:13982-94 pubmed..Expression of the mouse SERCA3 isoforms in COS-1 cells demonstrated their ability to function as active pumps, although with different apparent affinities for Ca2+. ..
- Ma P, Winderickx J, Nauwelaers D, Dumortier F, De Doncker A, Thevelein J, et al. Deletion of SFI1, a novel suppressor of partial Ras-cAMP pathway deficiency in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, causes G(2) arrest. Yeast. 1999;15:1097-109 pubmed..In conclusion, we have identified an essential function in the G(2)-M transition of the cell cycle for a yeast gene of previously unknown function. ..
- Langouche L, Pals K, Denef C. Structure-activity relationship and signal transduction of gamma-MSH peptides in GH3 cells: further evidence for a new melanocortin receptor. Peptides. 2002;23:1077-86 pubmed..We conclude that the putative novel gamma-MSH receptor in GH3 cells is a GPCR, but with structure-activity and signal transduction features different from those of the classical MCRs. ..
- De Bolle L, Michel D, Mertens T, Manichanh C, Agut H, De Clercq E, et al. Role of the human herpesvirus 6 u69-encoded kinase in the phosphorylation of ganciclovir. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;62:714-21 pubmed..Our results indicate that the limited phosphorylation of ganciclovir by pU69 may contribute to its modest antiviral activity against HHV-6 in certain cell systems. ..
- Clynen E, Huybrechts J, De Loof A, Schoofs L. Mass spectrometric analysis of the perisympathetic organs in locusts: identification of novel periviscerokinins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;300:422-8 pubmed
- Nilius B, Weidema F, Prenen J, Hoenderop J, Vennekens R, Hoefs S, et al. The carboxyl terminus of the epithelial Ca(2+) channel ECaC1 is involved in Ca(2+)-dependent inactivation. Pflugers Arch. 2003;445:584-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified two domains in the carboxyl terminus of ECaC1 that control Ca(2+)-dependent inactivation...
- Coemans B, Matsumura H, Terauchi R, Remy S, Swennen R, Sági L. SuperSAGE combined with PCR walking allows global gene expression profiling of banana (Musa acuminata), a non-model organism. Theor Appl Genet. 2005;111:1118-26 pubmed..SuperSAGE in conjunction with 3'RACE and TAIL-PCR will be a powerful tool for transcriptomics of non-model, but otherwise important organisms. ..
- Rector A, Mostmans S, Van Doorslaer K, McKnight C, Maes R, Wise A, et al. Genetic characterization of the first chiropteran papillomavirus, isolated from a basosquamous carcinoma in an Egyptian fruit bat: the Rousettus aegyptiacus papillomavirus type 1. Vet Microbiol. 2006;117:267-75 pubmed publisher..This is the first time a papillomavirus has been isolated and characterized from a member of the Chiroptera order...
- Denayer E, Parret A, Chmara M, Schubbert S, Vogels A, Devriendt K, et al. Mutation analysis in Costello syndrome: functional and structural characterization of the HRAS p.Lys117Arg mutation. Hum Mutat. 2008;29:232-9 pubmed..Together, these data show that a RAS mutation that only perturbs guanine nucleotide binding has similar functional consequences as mutations that impair GTP hydrolysis and causes human disease. ..
- Zwaenepoel K, Louis J, Goris J, Janssens V. Diversity in genomic organisation, developmental regulation and distribution of the murine PR72/B" subunits of protein phosphatase 2A. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:393 pubmed publisher..We have integrated these results in a more consistent nomenclature of both human and murine PR72/B" genes and their transcripts/proteins. Our results provide a platform for the future generation of PR72/B" knockout mice. ..
- Clements J, Hens K, Francis C, Schellens A, Callaerts P. Conserved role for the Drosophila Pax6 homolog Eyeless in differentiation and function of insulin-producing neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:16183-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Eyeless has an evolutionarily conserved role in IPCs with remarkable similarities to the role of vertebrate Pax6 in beta cells of the pancreas. ..
- Vandendriessche T, Olamendi Portugal T, Zamudio F, Possani L, Tytgat J. Isolation and characterization of two novel scorpion toxins: The alpha-toxin-like CeII8, specific for Na(v)1.7 channels and the classical anti-mammalian CeII9, specific for Na(v)1.4 channels. Toxicon. 2010;56:613-23 pubmed publisher..Since these effects have also been reported for the beta-toxin CssIV, the bioactive surfaces of the toxins have been compared to each other. ..
- Janssen T, Lindemans M, Meelkop E, Temmerman L, Schoofs L. Coevolution of neuropeptidergic signaling systems: from worm to man. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1200:1-14 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that these four neuropeptide signaling systems have been well conserved during the course of evolution and that they were already well established prior to the divergence of protostomes and deuterostomes. ..
- Leysen S, Vanderkelen L, Van Asten K, Vanheuverzwijn S, Theuwis V, Michiels C, et al. Structural characterization of the PliG lysozyme inhibitor family. J Struct Biol. 2012;180:235-42 pubmed publisher..Instead, we could identify a distinct cluster of surface residues that are conserved across the PliG family and are essential for efficient G-type lysozyme inhibition, as evidenced by mutagenesis studies. ..
- Diego Garcia E, Peigneur S, Debaveye S, Gheldof E, Tytgat J, Caliskan F. Novel potassium channel blocker venom peptides from Mesobuthus gibbosus (Scorpiones: Buthidae). Toxicon. 2013;61:72-82 pubmed publisher..Biochemical and molecular characterization of MegKTx peptides and transcripts shows a relation with toxins of three different ?-KTx subfamilies (?-KTx3.x, ?-KTx9.x and ?-KTx16.x). ..
- Theys K, Vercauteren J, Snoeck J, Zazzi M, Camacho R, Torti C, et al. HIV-1 subtype is an independent predictor of reverse transcriptase mutation K65R in HIV-1 patients treated with combination antiretroviral therapy including tenofovir. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:1053-6 pubmed publisher..K65R selection was significantly higher in HIV-1 subtype C. This could not be explained by clinical and demographic factors in multivariate analysis, suggesting subtype sequence-specific K65R pathways. ..
- Vandamme D, Landuyt B, Luyten W, Schoofs L. A comprehensive summary of LL-37, the factotum human cathelicidin peptide. Cell Immunol. 2012;280:22-35 pubmed publisher..Recent insights even indicate for a role of these peptides in cancer. This review provides a comprehensive summary of the most recent and relevant insights concerning the human cathelicidin LL-37. ..
- De Keersmaecker K, Atak Z, Li N, Vicente C, Patchett S, Girardi T, et al. Exome sequencing identifies mutation in CNOT3 and ribosomal genes RPL5 and RPL10 in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Nat Genet. 2013;45:186-90 pubmed publisher..Our data provide insights into the mutational landscape of pediatric versus adult T-ALL and identify the ribosome as a potential oncogenic factor. ..
- Dillen S, Zels S, Verlinden H, Spit J, Van Wielendaele P, Vanden Broeck J. Functional characterization of the short neuropeptide F receptor in the desert locust, Schistocerca gregaria. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53604 pubmed publisher..This is the first comprehensive study in which a clearly negative correlation is described between the sNPF signalling pathway and feeding, prompting a reconsideration of the diverse roles of sNPFs in the physiology of insects. ..
- Hubin E, Cioffi F, Rozenski J, van Nuland N, Broersen K. Characterization of insulin-degrading enzyme-mediated cleavage of AÎ² in distinct aggregation states. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1860:1281-90 pubmed publisher..These findings need to be taken into account in therapeutic strategies designed to increase AÎ² clearance in AD patients by modulating IDE activity. ..
- Nilius B, Mahieu F, Prenen J, Janssens A, Owsianik G, Vennekens R, et al. The Ca2+-activated cation channel TRPM4 is regulated by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-biphosphate. EMBO J. 2006;25:467-78 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that PIP2 is a strong positive modulator of TRPM4, and implicate the C-terminal PH domain in PIP2 action. PLC-mediated PIP2 breakdown may constitute a physiologically important brake on TRPM4 activity. ..
- Matthijnssens J, Heylen E, Zeller M, Rahman M, Lemey P, Van Ranst M. Phylodynamic analyses of rotavirus genotypes G9 and G12 underscore their potential for swift global spread. Mol Biol Evol. 2010;27:2431-6 pubmed publisher..g., a vaccine escape mutant) can spread worldwide in little more than a decade. These results re-emphasize the need for thorough and continued RV surveillance in order to detect such potential spreading events at an early stage. ..
- Ovaere M, Herdewijn P, Van Meervelt L. The crystal structure of the CeNA:RNA hybrid ce(GCGTAGCG):r(CGCUACGC). Chemistry. 2011;17:7823-30 pubmed publisher..The fact that the CeNA:RNA hybrid adopts an A-type double helical conformation confirms the high potential of CeNAs for the construction of efficient siRNAs which can be used for therapeutical applications. ..
- Raemaekers T, Peric A, Baatsen P, Sannerud R, Declerck I, Baert V, et al. ARF6-mediated endosomal transport of Telencephalin affects dendritic filopodia-to-spine maturation. EMBO J. 2012;31:3252-69 pubmed publisher..This suggests a specific microenvironment facilitating ARF6-mediated mobilization of TLN that contributes to promotion of dendritic spine development. ..
- Zlateva K, Lemey P, Vandamme A, Van Ranst M. Molecular evolution and circulation patterns of human respiratory syncytial virus subgroup a: positively selected sites in the attachment g glycoprotein. J Virol. 2004;78:4675-83 pubmed..The evolutionary rate of HRSV subgroup A isolates was estimated to be 1.83 x 10(-3) nucleotide substitutions/site/year, projecting the most recent common ancestor back to the early 1940s. ..
- Ceyssens P, BRABBAN A, Rogge L, Lewis M, Pickard D, Goulding D, et al. Molecular and physiological analysis of three Pseudomonas aeruginosa phages belonging to the "N4-like viruses". Virology. 2010;405:26-30 pubmed publisher..These phages are the first described representatives of a novel kind of obligatory lytic P. aeruginosa-infecting phages, belonging to the widespread "N4-like viruses" genus...
- Diego Garcia E, Peigneur S, Clynen E, Marien T, Czech L, Schoofs L, et al. Molecular diversity of the telson and venom components from Pandinus cavimanus (Scorpionidae Latreille 1802): transcriptome, venomics and function. Proteomics. 2012;12:313-28 pubmed publisher..Expressed sequence tags from venom glands provide complementary information to MS and reveal undescribed components related to the biological activity of the venom...
- Umelo I, Noeparast A, Chen G, Renard M, Geers C, Vansteenkiste J, et al. Identification of a novel HER3 activating mutation homologous to EGFR-L858R in lung cancer. Oncotarget. 2016;7:3068-83 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide a basis for the clinical exploration of targeted therapies in HER3 mutant NSCLC and by extrapolation, in other cancers that more frequently carry somatic HER3 mutations. ..
- Eggermont J, Wuytack F, De Jaegere S, Nelles L, Casteels R. Evidence for two isoforms of the endoplasmic-reticulum Ca2+ pump in pig smooth muscle. Biochem J. 1989;260:757-61 pubmed
- Zlateva K, Van Ranst M. Detection of subgroup B respiratory syncytial virus in the cerebrospinal fluid of a patient with respiratory syncytial virus pneumonia. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004;23:1065-6 pubmed..The infant was diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia and had a febrile seizure. The patient recovered uneventfully after 9 days in the hospital. ..
- Fransen M, Vastiau I, Brees C, Brys V, Mannaerts G, Van Veldhoven P. Analysis of human Pex19p's domain structure by pentapeptide scanning mutagenesis. J Mol Biol. 2005;346:1275-86 pubmed..Finally, our observation that Pex19p contains two distinct binding sites for Pex3p suggests that the peroxin may bind PMPs in multiple places and for multiple purposes. ..
- Vleugels R, Lenaerts C, Baumann A, Vanden Broeck J, Verlinden H. Pharmacological characterization of a 5-HT1-type serotonin receptor in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65052 pubmed publisher..castaneum facilitating functional research of 5-HT receptors in insects and other invertebrates. The pharmacological profiles may contribute to establish a reliable classification scheme for invertebrate 5-HT receptors...
- Veugelers M, Vermeesch J, Watanabe K, Yamaguchi Y, Marynen P, David G. GPC4, the gene for human K-glypican, flanks GPC3 on xq26: deletion of the GPC3-GPC4 gene cluster in one family with Simpson-Golabi-Behmel syndrome. Genomics. 1998;53:1-11 pubmed..The tight clustering of GPC3 and GPC4, with deletions that occasionally affect both genes, may be relevant for explaining the variability of the SGBS phenotype. ..
- Walmagh M, Briers Y, Dos Santos S, Azeredo J, Lavigne R. Characterization of modular bacteriophage endolysins from Myoviridae phages OBP, 201?2-1 and PVP-SE1. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36991 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these endolysins extensively enlarge the pool of potential antibacterial compounds used against multi-drug resistant Gram-negative bacterial infections...
- Kas K, Lemahieu V, Meyen E, Van de Ven W, Merregaert J. Isolation, cDNA, and genomic structure of a conserved gene (NOF) at chromosome 11q13 next to FAU and oriented in the opposite transcriptional orientation. Genomics. 1996;34:433-6 pubmed..Moreover, the mouse ESTs map in the same organization, closely linked to the FAU gene, in the mouse genome. NOF, however, is not affected by the t(11;17)(q13;q21) chromosomal translocation. ..
- Toth Zsamboki E, Oury C, Watanabe H, Nilius B, Vermylen J, Hoylaerts M. The intracellular tyrosine residues of the ATP-gated P2X(1) ion channel are essential for its function. FEBS Lett. 2002;524:15-9 pubmed..Thus, Y16, Y362, Y363 and Y370 are required for the appropriate three-dimensional structure and function of the intracellular P2X(1) domains. ..
- Bartholomeeusen K, De Rijck J, Busschots K, Desender L, Gijsbers R, Emiliani S, et al. Differential interaction of HIV-1 integrase and JPO2 with the C terminus of LEDGF/p75. J Mol Biol. 2007;372:407-21 pubmed..Furthermore, JPO2 over-expression activated transcription from the HIV-1 LTR. ..
- Leysen S, Van Herreweghe J, Callewaert L, Heirbaut M, Buntinx P, Michiels C, et al. Molecular basis of bacterial defense against host lysozymes: X-ray structures of periplasmic lysozyme inhibitors PliI and PliC. J Mol Biol. 2011;405:1233-45 pubmed publisher..This motif is related to the functional SGxxY motif found in the MliC/PliC family. ..
- Petit M, Mols R, Schoenmakers E, Mandahl N, Van de Ven W. LPP, the preferred fusion partner gene of HMGIC in lipomas, is a novel member of the LIM protein gene family. Genomics. 1996;36:118-29 pubmed..Two alternative HMGIC/LPP hybrid transcripts have been detected; the difference between them is mainly the presence of either two or three LIM domains in the predicted HMGI-C/LPP fusion proteins. ..
- Leyssen P, Charlier N, Paeshuyse J, De Clercq E, Neyts J. Prospects for antiviral therapy. Adv Virus Res. 2003;61:511-53 pubmed
- Rector A, Lemey P, Tachezy R, Mostmans S, Ghim S, Van Doorslaer K, et al. Ancient papillomavirus-host co-speciation in Felidae. Genome Biol. 2007;8:R57 pubmed
- Kasri N, Holmes A, Bultynck G, Parys J, Bootman M, Rietdorf K, et al. Regulation of InsP3 receptor activity by neuronal Ca2+-binding proteins. EMBO J. 2004;23:312-21 pubmed..We also show that phosphorylation of CaBP1 at a casein kinase 2 consensus site regulates its inhibition of IICR. Our data suggest that CaBPs are endogenous regulators of InsP(3)Rs tuning the sensitivity of cells to InsP(3). ..
- Van den Steen P, Proost P, Wuyts A, Van Damme J, Opdenakker G. Neutrophil gelatinase B potentiates interleukin-8 tenfold by aminoterminal processing, whereas it degrades CTAP-III, PF-4, and GRO-alpha and leaves RANTES and MCP-2 intact. Blood. 2000;96:2673-81 pubmed..This led to a better understanding of regulator (IL-8) and effector molecules (gelatinase B) of neutrophils and of mechanisms underlying leukocytosis, shock syndromes, and stem cell mobilization by IL-8. (Blood. 2000;96:2673-2681) ..
- Van Damme E, Hause B, Hu J, Barre A, Rouge P, Proost P, et al. Two distinct jacalin-related lectins with a different specificity and subcellular location are major vegetative storage proteins in the bark of the black mulberry tree. Plant Physiol. 2002;130:757-69 pubmed..In addition, due to its high activity, abundance, and ease of preparation, MornigaM is of great potential value for practical applications as a tool and bioactive protein in biological and biomedical research. ..
- De Keersmaecker S, Sonck K, Vanderleyden J. Let LuxS speak up in AI-2 signaling. Trends Microbiol. 2006;14:114-9 pubmed..Ongoing attempts to dissect the metabolic and signaling roles of LuxS leave little doubt that unraveling the regulation of luxS expression and cellular LuxS activity is the key to understanding LuxS-based quorum sensing. ..
- De Rijck J, de Kogel C, Demeulemeester J, Vets S, El Ashkar S, Malani N, et al. The BET family of proteins targets moloney murine leukemia virus integration near transcription start sites. Cell Rep. 2013;5:886-94 pubmed publisher..Together, these data validate BET proteins as MLV integration targeting factors. ..
- Janssens S, Viaene T, Huysmans S, Smets E, Geuten K. Selection on length mutations after frameshift can explain the origin and retention of the AP3/DEF-like paralogues in Impatiens. J Mol Evol. 2008;66:424-35 pubmed publisher..It is rather the length of the C-terminal domain that either is strictly conserved or varies strongly. This suggests a role for the length of the C-terminal domain in the retention of duplicated genes. ..
- Lemaire K, Moura R, Granvik M, Igoillo Esteve M, Hohmeier H, Hendrickx N, et al. Ubiquitin fold modifier 1 (UFM1) and its target UFBP1 protect pancreatic beta cells from ER stress-induced apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18517 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that UFM1-UFBP1 participate in preventing ER stress-induced apoptosis in protein secretory cells. ..
- Peeters L, Janssen T, De Haes W, Beets I, Meelkop E, Grant W, et al. A pharmacological study of NLP-12 neuropeptide signaling in free-living and parasitic nematodes. Peptides. 2012;34:82-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, a SAR analysis revealed the essential pharmacophore in C. elegans NLP-12b to be the pentapeptide RPLQFamide...
- Matthijnssens J, Miño S, Papp H, Potgieter C, Novo L, Heylen E, et al. Complete molecular genome analyses of equine rotavirus A strains from different continents reveal several novel genotypes and a largely conserved genotype constellation. J Gen Virol. 2012;93:866-75 pubmed publisher..This conserved genetic configuration of equine RVA strains could be useful for future vaccine development or improvement of currently used equine RVA vaccines. ..
- De Groef B, Goris N, Arckens L, Kuhn E, Darras V. Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH)-induced thyrotropin release is directly mediated through CRH receptor type 2 on thyrotropes. Endocrinology. 2003;144:5537-44 pubmed..We conclude that CRH-induced TSH secretion is mediated by CRH-R2 expressed on thyrotropes. ..
- Chávez Gutiérrez L, Tolia A, Maes E, Li T, Wong P, De Strooper B. Glu(332) in the Nicastrin ectodomain is essential for gamma-secretase complex maturation but not for its activity. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:20096-105 pubmed publisher..Consequently, these studies indicate that the main role of the Glu(332) is in the maturation and assembly of gamma-secretase rather than in the recognition of the substrates. ..
- Rahman M, Yang X, Sun H, Mahzebin K, Verstappen N, Novo L, et al. Emerging G9 rotavirus strains in the northwest of China. Virus Res. 2008;137:157-62 pubmed publisher..These findings will be of major significance for understanding the emergence of newly introduced rotavirus strains. ..
- Matthijnssens J, Taraporewala Z, Yang H, Rao S, Yuan L, Cao D, et al. Simian rotaviruses possess divergent gene constellations that originated from interspecies transmission and reassortment. J Virol. 2010;84:2013-26 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that simian RVs are of diverse ancestry with genome constellations that originated largely by interspecies transmission and reassortment with nonhuman animal RVs. ..
- Wlodarska I, Baens M, Peeters P, Aerssens J, Mecucci C, Brock P, et al. Biallelic alterations of both ETV6 and CDKN1B genes in a t(12;21) childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia case. Cancer Res. 1996;56:2655-61 pubmed..In addition, the putative loss of wild-type function of CDKN1B and ETV6 could indicate a synergistic effect of both genes in the pathogenesis of this leukemia case. ..
- Eelen G, Vanden Bempt I, Verlinden L, Drijkoningen M, Smeets A, Neven P, et al. Expression of the BRCA1-interacting protein Brip1/BACH1/FANCJ is driven by E2F and correlates with human breast cancer malignancy. Oncogene. 2008;27:4233-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these data show that Brip1 is a genuine target gene for the E2F/Rb pathway and that elevated expression levels of Brip1 are detected in primary invasive breast carcinomas with unfavorable characteristics. ..
- Van Der Haegen A, Peigneur S, Dyubankova N, Moller C, MARI F, Diego Garcia E, et al. Pc16a, the first characterized peptide from Conus pictus venom, shows a novel disulfide connectivity. Peptides. 2012;34:106-13 pubmed publisher..Hence, the specific target of pc16a still remains to be discovered. ..
- Debyser Z, De Clercq E. Chemical crosslinking of the subunits of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase. Protein Sci. 1996;5:278-86 pubmed..The crosslinking assay thus allows the investigation of the effect of inhibitors on the dimerization of HIV-1 RT...
- Schulz J, Annaert W, Vandekerckhove J, Zimmermann P, De Strooper B, David G. Syndecan 3 intramembrane proteolysis is presenilin/gamma-secretase-dependent and modulates cytosolic signaling. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:48651-7 pubmed..The cleavage is mediated by presenilin/gamma-secretase complex and negatively regulates the plasma membrane targeting of the transcriptional cofactor CASK. ..
- Van den Bergh K, Rouge P, Proost P, Coosemans J, Krouglova T, Engelborghs Y, et al. Synergistic antifungal activity of two chitin-binding proteins from spindle tree (Euonymus europaeus L.). Planta. 2004;219:221-32 pubmed
- Cleynen I, Van de Ven W. The HMGA proteins: a myriad of functions (Review). Int J Oncol. 2008;32:289-305 pubmed..To provide clarity in the abundance of articles on this topic, this review gives a general overview of the nuclear functions and regulation of the HMGA genes and corresponding proteins. ..
- Vekemans D, Proost S, Vanneste K, Coenen H, Viaene T, Ruelens P, et al. Gamma paleohexaploidy in the stem lineage of core eudicots: significance for MADS-box gene and species diversification. Mol Biol Evol. 2012;29:3793-806 pubmed publisher..We consider that the traits generated from this potential characterize extant core eudicots both chemically and morphologically. ..
- De Loof A, Schoofs L. Homologies between the amino acid sequences of some vertebrate peptide hormones and peptides isolated from invertebrate sources. Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1990;95:459-68 pubmed..9. As the number of different neuro-/gut peptides with possible function(s) as hormone, neurotransmitter or neuromodulator is now estimated to be of the order of a few hundred, more similarities will probably show up in the near future. ..
- Geuten K, Becker A, Kaufmann K, Caris P, Janssens S, Viaene T, et al. Petaloidy and petal identity MADS-box genes in the balsaminoid genera Impatiens and Marcgravia. Plant J. 2006;47:501-18 pubmed..We discuss several candidate mechanisms for heterotopic petaloidy involving modified gene expression and protein interaction of SEP3-like and class B genes...
- Meersseman G, Verschueren K, Nelles L, Blumenstock C, Kraft H, Wuytens G, et al. The C-terminal domain of Mad-like signal transducers is sufficient for biological activity in the Xenopus embryo and transcriptional activation. Mech Dev. 1997;61:127-40 pubmed..We also mapped the MusMLP gene to a region on mouse chromosome 13 that corresponds to a region on human chromosome 5q that contains cancer-related genes. ..
- Van Leuven F, Stas L, Thiry E, Nelissen B, Miyake Y. Strategy to sequence the 89 exons of the human LRP1 gene coding for the lipoprotein receptor related protein: identification of one expressed mutation among 48 polymorphisms. Genomics. 1998;52:138-44 pubmed
- Baens M, Steyls A, Dierlamm J, De Wolf Peeters C, Marynen P. Structure of the MLT gene and molecular characterization of the genomic breakpoint junctions in the t(11;18)(q21;q21) of marginal zone B-cell lymphomas of MALT type. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2000;29:281-91 pubmed..The clustering of breaks in intron 7 of API2 and the consistent "in frame" API2-MLT fusions could therefore reflect certain functional constraints crucial for clonal outgrowth. ..
- Frints S, Jun L, Fryns J, Devriendt K, Teulingkx R, Van den Berghe L, et al. Inv(X)(p21.1;q22.1) in a man with mental retardation, short stature, general muscle wasting, and facial dysmorphism: clinical study and mutation analysis of the NXF5 gene. Am J Med Genet A. 2003;119A:367-74 pubmed..Therefore, mutation screening of the NXF gene family in phenotypically identical patients is recommended. ..
- Vastiau A, Cao L, Jaspers M, Owsianik G, Janssens V, Cuppens H, et al. Interaction of the protein phosphatase 2A with the regulatory domain of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator channel. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3392-6 pubmed..Taken together our results show a direct and functional interaction between CFTR and PP2A. ..