Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Brussels, Brussels Capital, Belgium
Locale: Brussels, Brussels Capital, Belgium
Publications584 found, 100 shown here
- Gilbert M, Thimus D, Malaise J, France F, Camberlin C, Mertens I, et al. Is there an increased incidence of surgically removed thyroid carcinoma in Belgium ten years after Chernobyl? A study of hospital discharge data. Acta Chir Belg. 2008;108:318-22 pubmed..These findings are in favour of the hypothesis of a causal effect linking the increased incidence of thyroid cancers to medical practice and surgery in particular and not to the consequence of the possible contamination. ..
- Stockis J, Fink W, François V, Connerotte T, De Smet C, Knoops L, et al. Comparison of stable human Treg and Th clones by transcriptional profiling. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:869-82 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the hallmark of our panel of activated human Treg clones is to produce bioactive TGF-beta which has autocrine actions on Tregs and can have paracrine actions on other T cells. ..
- Borkowski F. Different facets of competition in the pharmaceutical sector: preliminary findings of the European Commission's sector inquiry into pharmaceuticals. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2010;58:1-5 pubmed publisher..The study is completed by a number of observations on the sector's regulatory framework. The presentation below follows the order of findings described in the Report. ..
- Miendje Deyi V, Vanderpas J, Bontems P, Van Den Borre C, De Koster E, Cadranel S, et al. Marching cohort of Helicobacter pylori infection over two decades (1988-2007): combined effects of secular trend and population migration. Epidemiol Infect. 2011;139:572-80 pubmed publisher..These data show the effects of time, age and ethnicity on the prevalence of H. pylori infection, and its complex heterogeneity in the same cosmopolitan urban area. ..
- Hanquet G, Kissling E, Fenoll A, George R, Lepoutre A, Lernout T, et al. Pneumococcal serotypes in children in 4 European countries. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:1428-39 pubmed publisher..New vaccines targeting these serotypes are available, but serotype dynamics needs further exploration that accounts for underreporting and prevaccine trends. ..
- Catteau X, Simon P, Noel J. Predictors of invasive breast cancer in mammographically detected microcalcification in patients with a core biopsy diagnosis of flat epithelial atypia, atypical ductal hyperplasia or ductal carcinoma in situ and recommendations for a selective appro. Pathol Res Pract. 2012;208:217-20 pubmed publisher..5%) had a micrometastasis. Further larger studies are needed to see if it would be interesting to propose a SLN biopsy in case of necrosis on CNB-diagnosed DCIS with microcalcifications but not associated with a mass...
- Godfraind C, Kaczmarska J, Kocak M, Dalton J, Wright K, Sanford R, et al. Distinct disease-risk groups in pediatric supratentorial and posterior fossa ependymomas. Acta Neuropathol. 2012;124:247-57 pubmed publisher..In contrast, risk factors for pediatric supratentorial tumors are limited to sub-total resection and brain invasion...
- Kovacs D, Tompa P. Diverse functional manifestations of intrinsic structural disorder in molecular chaperones. Biochem Soc Trans. 2012;40:963-8 pubmed
- Mertzanidou A, Spits C, Nguyen H, Van de Velde H, Sermon K. Evolution of aneuploidy up to Day 4 of human preimplantation development. Hum Reprod. 2013;28:1716-24 pubmed publisher..What is the incidence of aneuploidy and mosaicism in all cells of top-quality Day-4 embryos analysed by array-based comparative genomic hybridization (array CGH)?..
- Cuschieri K, Bhatia R, Cruickshank M, Hillemanns P, Arbyn M. HPV testing in the context of post-treatment follow up (test of cure). J Clin Virol. 2016;76 Suppl 1:S56-S61 pubmed publisher..Data on HPV testing in women treated for glandular lesions would be welcome as would the performance of different HPV assays and associated biomarkers in this context. ..
- Guada M, Beloqui A, Kumar M, PrÃ©at V, Dios ViÃ©itez M, Blanco Prieto M. Reformulating cyclosporine A (CsA): More than just a life cycle management strategy. J Control Release. 2016;225:269-82 pubmed publisher..This review is an attempt to highlight the progress made so far and the room available for further improvements to realize the maximum benefits of CsA. ..
- Svoboda M, Portois L, Malaisse W. Glucose regulation of the expression of the glucagon receptor gene. Mol Genet Metab. 1999;68:258-67 pubmed..Its potential use for gene therapy is also considered, therefore, in this report. ..
- Chiari R, Hames G, Stroobant V, Texier C, Maillere B, Boon T, et al. Identification of a tumor-specific shared antigen derived from an Eph receptor and presented to CD4 T cells on HLA class II molecules. Cancer Res. 2000;60:4855-63 pubmed
- Loriot A, Boon T, De Smet C. Five new human cancer-germline genes identified among 12 genes expressed in spermatogonia. Int J Cancer. 2003;105:371-6 pubmed..Like previously described cancer-germline genes, the 5 genes were induced in cells treated with a demethylating agent. ..
- Smal C, Vertommen D, Bertrand L, Ntamashimikiro S, Rider M, Van Den Neste E, et al. Identification of in vivo phosphorylation sites on human deoxycytidine kinase. Role of Ser-74 in the control of enzyme activity. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:4887-93 pubmed..Our study provided direct evidence that dCK activity can be controlled by phosphorylation in intact cells and highlights the importance of Ser-74 for dCK activity. ..
- Boon T, Coulie P, van den Eynde B, van der Bruggen P. Human T cell responses against melanoma. Annu Rev Immunol. 2006;24:175-208 pubmed..In patients who do respond to the vaccine, the antivaccine T cells probably succeed in reversing focally this immunosuppression and trigger a broad activation of other antitumor T cells, which proceed to destroy the tumor. ..
- Maystadt I, Rezsohazy R, Barkats M, Duque S, Vannuffel P, Remacle S, et al. The nuclear factor kappaB-activator gene PLEKHG5 is mutated in a form of autosomal recessive lower motor neuron disease with childhood onset. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;81:67-76 pubmed..Both loss of PLEKHG5 function and aggregate formation may contribute to neurotoxicity in this novel form of LMND. ..
- Demotte N, Stroobant V, Courtoy P, Van Der Smissen P, Colau D, Luescher I, et al. Restoring the association of the T cell receptor with CD8 reverses anergy in human tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes. Immunity. 2008;28:414-24 pubmed publisher..The separation of TCR and CD8 molecules could be one major mechanism of anergy in tumors and other chronic stimulation conditions. ..
- Golfinopoulos V, Pentheroudakis G, Salanti G, Nearchou A, Ioannidis J, Pavlidis N. Comparative survival with diverse chemotherapy regimens for cancer of unknown primary site: multiple-treatments meta-analysis. Cancer Treat Rev. 2009;35:570-3 pubmed publisher..No type of chemotherapy has been solidly proven to prolong survival in patients with CUP. Regimens using either platinum or taxanes or both need further testing. ..
- Lavand homme P, Roelants F. Patient-controlled intravenous analgesia as an alternative to epidural analgesia during labor: questioning the use of the short-acting opioid remifentanil. Survey in the French part of Belgium (Wallonia and Brussels). Acta Anaesthesiol Belg. 2009;60:75-82 pubmed
- Feron O. Pyruvate into lactate and back: from the Warburg effect to symbiotic energy fuel exchange in cancer cells. Radiother Oncol. 2009;92:329-33 pubmed publisher..Combination with radiotherapy renders remaining cells more sensitive to irradiation, emphasizing how interference with tumor cell metabolism may complement current anticancer modalities. ..
- Janssens F, de Suray N, Piessevaux H, Horsmans Y, de Timary P, Starkel P. Can transient elastography replace liver histology for determination of advanced fibrosis in alcoholic patients: a real-life study. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2010;44:575-82 pubmed publisher..TE with modified cut-offs has the potential to predict advanced fibrosis and significant portal hypertension in alcoholic patients. APRI and Forns scores are of limited usefulness in alcoholics. ..
- Dhooge W, Den Hond E, Koppen G, Bruckers L, Nelen V, Van De Mieroop E, et al. Internal exposure to pollutants and body size in Flemish adolescents and adults: associations and dose-response relationships. Environ Int. 2010;36:330-337 pubmed publisher..Environmental exposures to pollutants resulting in "normal" levels of internal exposure were associated with quite substantial differences in body mass index. ..
- Benmiloud S, Steffens M, Beauloye V, de Wandeleer A, Devogelaer J, Brichard B, et al. Long-term effects on bone mineral density of different therapeutic schemes for acute lymphoblastic leukemia or non-Hodgkin lymphoma during childhood. Horm Res Paediatr. 2010;74:241-50 pubmed publisher..05). A low bone mass is frequently observed in adult survivors of childhood ALL and NHL, and is associated with male gender at the LS and with dexamethasone treatment, cranial irradiation and BMT/TBI at the hip. ..
- Neyns B, Tosoni A, Hwu W, Reardon D. Dose-dense temozolomide regimens: antitumor activity, toxicity, and immunomodulatory effects. Cancer. 2010;116:2868-77 pubmed publisher..Further studies exploring the clinical implications of lymphodepletion are warranted. ..
- Lenglez S, Hermand D, Decottignies A. Genome-wide mapping of nuclear mitochondrial DNA sequences links DNA replication origins to chromosomal double-strand break formation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genome Res. 2010;20:1250-61 pubmed publisher..This highlighted regions of S. pombe mtDNA prone to breaking. Together with an analysis of human NUMTs, we propose that these fragile sites in mtDNA may correspond to replication pause sites. ..
- Taylor Smith K, Tweya H, Harries A, Schoutene E, Jahn A. Gender differences in retention and survival on antiretroviral therapy of HIV-1 infected adults in Malawi. Malawi Med J. 2010;22:49-56 pubmed..Improving early access to ART may reduce mortality, especially among men. A gender difference in adherence to therapy needs further investigation. ..
- Piagnerelli M, Cotton F, Van Nuffelen M, Vincent J, Gulbis B. Modifications in erythrocyte membrane protein content are not responsible for the alterations in rheology seen in sepsis. Shock. 2012;37:17-21 pubmed publisher..Alterations in RBC rheology in sepsis are therefore mainly due to alterations in membrane compounds other than skeletal proteins, like carbohydrates, such as sialic acid and/or lipids...
- de Jong A, Thomas V, Klein U, Marion H, Moyaert H, Simjee S, et al. Pan-European resistance monitoring programmes encompassing food-borne bacteria and target pathogens of food-producing and companion animals. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2013;41:403-9 pubmed publisher..This 'methodology harmonisation' allows easy comparisons among EU member states and makes the CEESA programmes invaluable to address food safety and antibiotic efficacy. ..
- Pilcer G, Rosière R, Traina K, Sebti T, Vanderbist F, Amighi K. New co-spray-dried tobramycin nanoparticles-clarithromycin inhaled powder systems for lung infection therapy in cystic fibrosis patients. J Pharm Sci. 2013;102:1836-1846 pubmed publisher..These new formulations, showing high lung deposition properties, even at sub-optimal inspiratory flow rates, represent a great possibility for advancing pulmonary drug administration and local therapy of lung infections. ..
- Sylvester R, Oosterlinck W, Holmang S, Sydes M, Birtle A, Gudjonsson S, et al. Systematic Review and Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis of Randomized Trials Comparing a Single Immediate Instillation of Chemotherapy After Transurethral Resection with Transurethral Resection Alone in Patients with Stage pTa-pT1 Urothelial Carc. Eur Urol. 2016;69:231-44 pubmed publisher
- Seymour L, Bogaerts J, Perrone A, Ford R, Schwartz L, Mandrekar S, et al. iRECIST: guidelines for response criteria for use in trials testing immunotherapeutics. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:e143-e152 pubmed publisher..This guideline will allow consistent conduct, interpretation, and analysis of trials of immunotherapies. ..
- Pennings G, Segers S, Debrock S, Heindryckx B, Kontozova Deutsch V, Punjabi U, et al. Human embryo research in Belgium: an overview. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:96-107 pubmed publisher..Data collection requires a sufficiently clear definition of "research" and "embryo." These conceptual questions frequently reveal lack of clarity in legislation. ..
- Devlin N, Herdman M, Pavesi M, Phung D, Naidoo S, Beer T, et al. Health-related quality of life effects of enzalutamide in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: an in-depth post hoc analysis of EQ-5D data from the PREVAIL trial. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:130 pubmed publisher..nct01212991. ..
- Frippiat C, Gastaldi A, Van Grunderbeeck S. Persistence of immersed blood and hair DNA: A preliminary study based on casework. J Forensic Leg Med. 2017;51:1-8 pubmed publisher..This high variability may be explained by the variability of water composition coming from nine different sink pipes. For hair root cells incubated in water, we observed that more than 90% of the DNA was degraded after 72 h. ..
- Filbrich L, Alamia A, Blandiaux S, Burns S, Legrain V. Shaping visual space perception through bodily sensations: Testing the impact of nociceptive stimuli on visual perception in peripersonal space with temporal order judgments. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182634 pubmed publisher..Indeed, nociceptive stimuli mostly impacted the perception of the closest visual stimuli. It is hypothesized that these crossmodal interactions may rely on representations of the space directly surrounding specific body parts. ..
- Lee A, Kozuki N, Cousens S, Stevens G, Blencowe H, Silveira M, et al. Estimates of burden and consequences of infants born small for gestational age in low and middle income countries with INTERGROWTH-21st standard: analysis of CHERGÂ datasets. BMJ. 2017;358:j3677 pubmed publisher..Increased efforts are required to improve the quality of care for and survival of these high risk infants in low and middle income countries. ..
- Lefranc F, Yeaton P, Brotchi J, Kiss R. Cimetidine, an unexpected anti-tumor agent, and its potential for the treatment of glioblastoma (review). Int J Oncol. 2006;28:1021-30 pubmed
- Bleyenheuft Y, Thonnard J. Tactile spatial resolution measured manually: a validation study. Somatosens Mot Res. 2007;24:111-4 pubmed..This study highlights the inter-examiner reliability in the manual application of this test and validates this procedure. ..
- Dumont P, Ingrassia L, Rouzeau S, Ribaucour F, Thomas S, Roland I, et al. The Amaryllidaceae isocarbostyril narciclasine induces apoptosis by activation of the death receptor and/or mitochondrial pathways in cancer cells but not in normal fibroblasts. Neoplasia. 2007;9:766-76 pubmed..Normal human fibroblasts appear approximately 250-fold less sensitive to narciclasine, which does not induce apoptosis in these cells probably due to the absence of death receptor pathway activation...
- Poncelet A, Cornet J, Coulon C, Collard P, Noirhomme P, Weynand B. Intra-tumoral vascular or perineural invasion as prognostic factors for long-term survival in early stage non-small cell lung carcinoma. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008;33:799-804 pubmed publisher..However, in contrast to recent reports, we did not find that intra-tumoral permeation adversely affects long-term survival. ..
- Fortin S, Le Mercier M, Camby I, Spiegl Kreinecker S, Berger W, Lefranc F, et al. Galectin-1 is implicated in the protein kinase C epsilon/vimentin-controlled trafficking of integrin-beta1 in glioblastoma cells. Brain Pathol. 2010;20:39-49 pubmed publisher..The understanding of molecular mediators such as galectin-1 and the pathways through which they drive the cell invasion so descriptive of GBM is anticipated to reveal potential therapeutic targets that promote glioma malignancy. ..
- Sonveaux P, Vegran F, Schroeder T, Wergin M, Verrax J, Rabbani Z, et al. Targeting lactate-fueled respiration selectively kills hypoxic tumor cells in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:3930-42 pubmed publisher..As MCT1 was found to be expressed by an array of primary human tumors, we suggest that MCT1 inhibition has clinical antitumor potential. ..
- Dujardin M, Schiettecatte A, Verdries D, De Mey J. Cystic lesions of the female reproductive system: a review. JBR-BTR. 2010;93:56-61 pubmed..This paper gives an overview of radiological findings in the variety of physiologic and pathologic cysts which may be encountered in this field...
- Dylag T, Jehenson P, van de Loo J, Sanne J. Basic and clinical proteomics from the EU Health Research perspective. Proteomics Clin Appl. 2010;4:888-91 pubmed..The scientific community, including both academia and industry, is encouraged to apply for FP7 funding so that the EU can even more efficiently support innovative health research and ultimately, bring better healthcare to patients. ..
- Cnop M, Foufelle F, Velloso L. Endoplasmic reticulum stress, obesity and diabetes. Trends Mol Med. 2012;18:59-68 pubmed publisher..Finally, prolonged ER stress impairs insulin synthesis and causes pancreatic ? cell apoptosis. In this review, we discuss ways in which ER stress operates as a common molecular pathway in the pathogenesis of obesity and diabetes. ..
- Cahu X, Constantinescu S. Oncogenic Drivers in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms: From JAK2 to Calreticulin Mutations. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2015;10:335-43 pubmed publisher..Targeting of both oncogenic drivers and epigenetic defects could be required for effective therapy. ..
- Vanderbeeken Y, Duchateau J, Collet H, Van Boogaert L, Desseilles P, Lucas A. Functional modifications of the CD4+ and the CD8+ subset due to maternal serum. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 1989;11:397-420 pubmed..Appearing quite early during the gestation (at the 5-6th week), this factor was vanishing 2 weeks after the delivery. ..
- Kerstiëns B, Matthys F. Interventions to control virus transmission during an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever: experience from Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995. J Infect Dis. 1999;179 Suppl 1:S263-7 pubmed..Before the intervention, 67 health workers contracted EHF; after the initiation of control measures, just 3 cases were reported among health staff and none among Red Cross volunteers involved in body burial. ..
- Liistro G. Pathophysiology of upper airway obstruction during sleep. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg. 2002;56:101-6 pubmed..The objective of this article is to review the pathophysiological basis of upper airway obstruction during sleep. ..
- Blondeel A. Contact allergy to the mild surfactant decylglucoside. Contact Dermatitis. 2003;49:304-5 pubmed
- Chapiro J, Claverol S, Piette F, Ma W, Stroobant V, Guillaume B, et al. Destructive cleavage of antigenic peptides either by the immunoproteasome or by the standard proteasome results in differential antigen presentation. J Immunol. 2006;176:1053-61 pubmed..Considering that mature dendritic cells mainly contain IPs, our results have implications for the design of immunotherapy strategies. ..
- Pierrot N, Santos S, Feyt C, Morel M, Brion J, Octave J. Calcium-mediated transient phosphorylation of tau and amyloid precursor protein followed by intraneuronal amyloid-beta accumulation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39907-14 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that an increase in cytosolic calcium concentration induces modifications of neuronal metabolism of APP and tau, similar to those found in Alzheimer disease. ..
- de Kerchove L, Vanoverschelde J, Poncelet A, Glineur D, Rubay J, Zech F, et al. Reconstructive surgery in active mitral valve endocarditis: feasibility, safety and durability. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;31:592-9 pubmed..We demonstrate that a high level of safety and excellent durability of MV repair can be obtained even for complex repairs. ..
- Ospina Tascón G, Cordioli R, Vincent J. What type of monitoring has been shown to improve outcomes in acutely ill patients?. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:800-20 pubmed publisher..This review puts into perspective the recent negative studies on the use of the pulmonary artery catheter in the acutely ill. ..
- Sznajer Y, Coldea C, Meire F, Delpierre I, Sekhara T, Touraine R. A de novo SOX10 mutation causing severe type 4 Waardenburg syndrome without Hirschsprung disease. Am J Med Genet A. 2008;146A:1038-41 pubmed publisher..698-2A > C). The present phenotype and the genotype findings underline the wide spectrum of SOX10 gene implication in unusual type 4 Waardenburg syndrome patient. ..
- Gruson D, Rousseau M, Ahn S, Van Linden F, Thys F, Ketelslegers J, et al. Accuracy of N-terminal-pro-atrial natriuretic peptide in patients admitted to emergency department. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2008;68:410-4 pubmed publisher..89-0.98) and was equivalent to Nt-proBNP (0.91; p=0.284) and BNP (0.93; p=0.572). The diagnostic accuracy of Nt-proANP was equivalent to BNP and Nt-proBNP in the present cohort of patients admitted to ED with dyspnoea and/or chest pain. ..
- Nkuize M, de Wit S, Muls V, Arvanitakis M, Buset M. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopic findings in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. HIV Med. 2010;11:412-7 pubmed publisher..However, HP infection, reflux symptoms and GERD have increased in the HAART era. ..
- Colette S, Defrere S, Lousse J, van Langendonckt A, Gotteland J, Loumaye E, et al. Inhibition of steroid sulfatase decreases endometriosis in an in vivo murine model. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:1362-70 pubmed publisher..In vivo, E2MATE decreased endometriosis development without affecting systemic estradiol levels. Use of STS-I could therefore be of potential interest in endometriosis treatment. ..
- Leurs F, Ivanenko Y, Bengoetxea A, Cebolla A, Dan B, Lacquaniti F, et al. Optimal walking speed following changes in limb geometry. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:2276-82 pubmed publisher..17) than in normal walking (Fr ?0.25). These findings are consistent with an important role of limb geometry optimization and kinematic coordination strategies in minimizing the energy expenditure of human walking...
- Quinten C, Maringwa J, Gotay C, Martinelli F, Coens C, Reeve B, et al. Patient self-reports of symptoms and clinician ratings as predictors of overall cancer survival. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:1851-8 pubmed publisher..62; P = .01), nausea (C-index = .65 vs .62; P < .001), and constipation (C-index = .62 vs .61; P = .01). Patients provide a subjective measure of symptom severity that complements clinician scoring in predicting overall survival. ..
- Prades J, Remue E, Van Hoof E, Borras J. Is it worth reorganising cancer services on the basis of multidisciplinary teams (MDTs)? A systematic review of the objectives and organisation of MDTs and their impact on patient outcomes. Health Policy. 2015;119:464-74 pubmed publisher..Evidence is consistent in showing positive consequences for patients' management in multiple dimensions, which should encourage the development of structured multidisciplinary care, minimum standards and exchange of best practices. ..
- Van Belleghem G, Devos S, De Wit L, Hubloue I, Lauwaert D, Pien K, et al. Predicting in-hospital mortality of traffic victims: A comparison between AIS-and ICD-9-CM-related injury severity scales when only ICD-9-CM is reported. Injury. 2016;47:141-6 pubmed publisher..When only ICD-9-CM codes are reported, ICD-9-CM-based severity scores perform better than severity scores based on the conversion to AIS. ..
- Sabath D, BENDER M, Sankaran V, Vamos E, Kentsis A, Yi H, et al. Characterization of Deletions of the HBA and HBB Loci by Array Comparative Genomic Hybridization. J Mol Diagn. 2016;18:92-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, comparative genomic hybridization can be used to characterize deletions of the HBA and HBB loci, allowing high-resolution characterization of novel deletions that are not readily detected by PCR-based methods. ..
- Boban A, Lambert C, Hermans C. Is the cardiovascular toxicity of NSAIDS and COX-2 selective inhibitors underestimated in patients with haemophilia?. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;100:25-31 pubmed publisher..Further studies should be conducted to evaluate the impact of NSAIDs on cardiovascular risks and the prevalence of hypertension in haemophilia patients. ..
- Vincent J, Mira J, Antonelli M. Sepsis: older and newer concepts. Lancet Respir Med. 2016;4:237-40 pubmed publisher..These definitions should help provide a more standardised approach to the identification of patients with suspected sepsis in both clinical practice and clinical research. ..
- Clarys P, Gabard B, Lambrecht R, Barel A, Bieli E, Lüdi S. There is no influence of a temperature rise on in vivo adsorption of UV filters into the stratum corneum. J Dermatol Sci. 2001;27:77-81 pubmed..The application temperature did not influence the stratum corneum adsorption of the tested UV filters while the nature of the vehicle significantly influenced the amount of UV filters recovered from the stratum corneum. ..
- Sylvester R, van der Meijden A, Lamm D. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin reduces the risk of progression in patients with superficial bladder cancer: a meta-analysis of the published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol. 2002;168:1964-70 pubmed..Thus, it is the agent of choice for patients with intermediate and high risk papillary tumors and those with carcinoma in situ. ..
- De Nayer P. Historical overview of analytical methods for the measurement of transthyretin. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2002;40:1271-3 pubmed..Finally, structural studies and mutation analysis of transthyretin in patients with amyloid neuropathy have opened a new area of research...
- Michel O, LeVan T, Stern D, Dentener M, Thorn J, Gnat D, et al. Systemic responsiveness to lipopolysaccharide and polymorphisms in the toll-like receptor 4 gene in human beings. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;112:923-9 pubmed..The single-nucleotide polymorphisms at position +896 or +1196 in the TLR-4 gene is associated with systemic inflammatory hyporesponsiveness to inhaled lipopolysaccharide. ..
- Levecq L, De Potter P. Solitary choroidal tuberculoma in an immunocompetent patient. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123:864-6 pubmed
- Fortpied J, Maliekal P, Vertommen D, van Schaftingen E. Magnesium-dependent phosphatase-1 is a protein-fructosamine-6-phosphatase potentially involved in glycation repair. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18378-85 pubmed..Furthermore, lysozyme glycated with Glu-6-P was converted by MDP-1 to a substrate for FN3K. We conclude that MDP-1 may act physiologically in conjunction with FN3K to free proteins from the glycation products derived from Glu-6-P. ..
- Kalai M, Suin V, Festjens N, Meeus A, Bernis A, Wang X, et al. The caspase-generated fragments of PKR cooperate to activate full-length PKR and inhibit translation. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1050-9 pubmed..PKR-ND facilitates the interaction of PKR-KD with full-length PKR and thus the activation of the kinase and amplifies the translation inhibitory signal. ..
- Spinewine A, Swine C, Dhillon S, Lambert P, Nachega J, Wilmotte L, et al. Effect of a collaborative approach on the quality of prescribing for geriatric inpatients: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007;55:658-65 pubmed..This is an important finding, because only limited data exist on the effect of various strategies to improve medication use in elderly inpatients. The present approach has the potential to minimize risk and improve patient outcomes. ..
- Heyman P, Baert K, Plyusnina A, Cochez C, Lundkvist A, Esbroeck M, et al. Serological and genetic evidence for the presence of Seoul hantavirus in Rattus norvegicus in Flanders, Belgium. Scand J Infect Dis. 2009;41:51-6 pubmed publisher..We also serologically screened an at-risk group that was in contact with R. norvegicus on a daily basis and found no evidence for SEOV infection. ..
- Staessen C, Verpoest W, Donoso P, Haentjens P, Van der Elst J, Liebaers I, et al. Preimplantation genetic screening does not improve delivery rate in women under the age of 36 following single-embryo transfer. Hum Reprod. 2008;23:2818-25 pubmed publisher..Clinical Trials.gov: NCT00670059. ..
- Breckpot K, Aerts Toegaert C, Heirman C, Peeters U, Beyaert R, Aerts J, et al. Attenuated expression of A20 markedly increases the efficacy of double-stranded RNA-activated dendritic cells as an anti-cancer vaccine. J Immunol. 2009;182:860-70 pubmed..Together these findings demonstrate that A20 negatively regulates NF-kappaB and activator protein-1 in DCs and that down-regulation of A20 results in DCs with enhanced T cell stimulatory capacity. ..
- Gottignies P, Hossey D, Lasser L, Cherifi S, Devriendt J, De Bels D. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding related to emphysematous cholecystitis due to Clostridium perfringens. Int J Infect Dis. 2010;14:e257-8 pubmed publisher..An emergency cholecystectomy was performed and antimicrobial therapy initiated. The patient recovered uneventfully. Links between ulcers and emphysematous cholecystitis are discussed...
- Lemaire S, Van Bambeke F, Appelbaum P, Tulkens P. Cellular pharmacokinetics and intracellular activity of torezolid (TR-700): studies with human macrophage (THP-1) and endothelial (HUVEC) cell lines. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009;64:1035-43 pubmed publisher..This may confer an advantage to torezolid in vivo if the drug can be used at dosages creating serum concentrations similar to those achieved with linezolid. ..
- Chintawar S, Hourez R, Ravella A, Gall D, Orduz D, Rai M, et al. Grafting neural precursor cells promotes functional recovery in an SCA1 mouse model. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13126-35 pubmed publisher..We postulate that a similar neuroprotective effect of NPCs may be applicable to other cerebellar degenerative diseases...
- Lamoral Theys D, Le Mercier M, Le Calve B, Rynkowski M, Bruyère C, Decaestecker C, et al. Long-term temozolomide treatment induces marked amino metabolism modifications and an increase in TMZ sensitivity in Hs683 oligodendroglioma cells. Neoplasia. 2010;12:69-79 pubmed..Thus, long-term TMZ treatment seems beneficial in this Hs683 oligodendroglioma model, which revealed itself unable to develop resistance against TMZ...
- Chambaere K, Bilsen J, Cohen J, Onwuteaka Philipsen B, Mortier F, Deliens L. Physician-assisted deaths under the euthanasia law in Belgium: a population-based survey. CMAJ. 2010;182:895-901 pubmed publisher..Although opioids were used in most of these cases, misconceptions seem to persist about their actual life-shortening effects. ..
- Laubach M, Breugelmans M, Leyder M, Demey J, Foulon W. Nonsurgical treatment of pyomyoma in the postpartum period. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2011;12:65-8 pubmed publisher..Only 13 cases of pyomyoma related to pregnancy have been described since 1945. Treatment consists of hysterectomy, which exposes critically ill patients to operative risks and induces infertility...
- Abbes Orabi N, Paterson H, Goncette L, Danse E, Saey J, Kartheuser A. Malone appendicostomy: an unexpected complication. Tech Coloproctol. 2011;15:81-3 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report of a fecolith causing obstruction within a Malone appendicostomy. ..
- de Kerchove L, Boodhwani M, Glineur D, Noirhomme P, El Khoury G. A new simple and objective method for graft sizing in valve-sparing root replacement using the reimplantation technique. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;92:749-51 pubmed publisher..Graft sizing with this objective and reproducible simple method results in restoration of normal aortic valve geometry and function. ..
- Goyvaerts C, De Groeve K, Dingemans J, Van Lint S, Robays L, Heirman C, et al. Development of the Nanobody display technology to target lentiviral vectors to antigen-presenting cells. Gene Ther. 2012;19:1133-40 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the Nb display technology is an attractive approach to generate LVs targeted to specific cell types...