Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Locale: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Publications125 found, 100 shown here
- Homaira N, Rahman M, Luby S, Rahman M, Haider M, Faruque L, et al. Multiple outbreaks of puffer fish intoxication in Bangladesh, 2008. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:440-4 pubmed publisher..Lack of knowledge about marine puffer toxicity contributed to the outbreaks. Health communication campaigns will enhance people's knowledge and may prevent future outbreaks. ..
- Khatun F, Zaman F, Mosaiab T, Mostafa F, Zaman M, Rehana F, et al. Evaluation of antinociceptive and antihyperglycemic activities in methanol extracts of whole plants of Alternanthera philoxeroides (Mart.) Griseb. (Amaranthaceae) in mice. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2012;25:583-7 pubmed..7%. Taken together, the results obtained indicate that the extract merit further scientific studies towards discovery of components, which may prove beneficial in ameliorating pain, as well as high sugar levels of diabetic patients. ..
- Bashar K, Tuno N, Ahmed T, Howlader A. False positivity of circumsporozoite protein (CSP)-ELISA in zoophilic anophelines in Bangladesh. Acta Trop. 2013;125:220-5 pubmed publisher..The relatively high proportion of false positives (40%) that was found in this study should warn malaria epidemiologists working in the field to be cautious when interpreting ELISA results. ..
- Hossain M, Ahmed K, Marma A, Hossain S, Ali M, Shamsuzzaman A, et al. A survey of the dog population in rural Bangladesh. Prev Vet Med. 2013;111:134-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that extrapolating from the human:dog ratios of other regions not be relied upon for estimating dog populations, unless the ratios can be supplemented by actual counts of dogs within the target area. ..
- White N, Pukrittayakamee S, Hien T, Faiz M, Mokuolu O, Dondorp A. Malaria. Lancet. 2014;383:723-35 pubmed publisher..We review the epidemiology, clinical features, pathology, prevention, and treatment of malaria. ..
- Zahan R, Nahar L, Nesa M. Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of flower (Alangium salvifolium) extract. Pak J Biol Sci. 2013;16:1040-5 pubmed..The inhibitions were similar to those produced by indomethacin, p.o. The different alkaloids and flavonoids found in the extract could be account for the antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory actions. ..
- Kim K, Kabir E, Jahan S. A review on the distribution of Hg in the environment and its human health impacts. J Hazard Mater. 2016;306:376-385 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews the route of Hg exposure to humans, its human health impacts, the associated risk assessment, and treatment based on the recent findings from various studies. ..
- Wahed P, Razzaq M, Dharmapuri S, Corrales M. Determination of formaldehyde in food and feed by an in-house validated HPLC method. Food Chem. 2016;202:476-83 pubmed publisher..Levels of formaldehyde in food samples were compared with published data. The applicability of the method in different food matrices might mean it has potential as a reference standard method. ..
- Ulla A, Alam M, Sikder B, Sumi F, Rahman M, Habib Z, et al. Supplementation of Syzygium cumini seed powder prevented obesity, glucose intolerance, hyperlipidemia and oxidative stress in high carbohydrate high fat diet induced obese rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:289 pubmed publisher..In addition, Syzygium cumini seed powder may be beneficial in ameliorating insulin resistance and dyslipidemia probably by increasing lipid metabolism in liver of HCHF diet fed rats. ..
- Sultana N, Afolayan A. A new depsidone and antibacterial activities of compounds from Usnea undulata Stirton. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2011;13:1158-64 pubmed publisher..5, 62.5 ?g/ml, respectively. (+) Usnic acid was most active against B. subtilis, B. cereus, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli with MICs of 8, 8, 31, and 31 ?g/ml, respectively, while other compounds exhibited moderate activity...
- Ahmed M, Rahman M, Alimuzzaman M, Shilpi J. Analgesic sesquiterpene dilactone from Mikania cordata. Fitoterapia. 2001;72:919-21 pubmed..o.) significantly inhibited acetic acid-induced writhing in mice. Three other sesquiterpene dilactones isolated from the same plant, namely mikanolide, dihydromikanolide and scandenolide, did not show significant analgesic activity. ..
- Haque R, Mondal D, Duggal P, Kabir M, Roy S, Farr B, et al. Entamoeba histolytica infection in children and protection from subsequent amebiasis. Infect Immun. 2006;74:904-9 pubmed..The challenge of producing an effective vaccine will be to improve upon naturally acquired immunity, which does not provide absolute protection from reinfection. ..
- Rahim Z, Möllers M, te Koppele Vije A, de Beer J, Zaman K, Matin M, et al. Characterization of Mycobacterium africanum subtype I among cows in a dairy farm in Bangladesh using spoligotyping. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2007;38:706-13 pubmed..Since M. africanum is believed to be a human pathogen, general infection in cattle may be a public health threat. The presence of these bacteria in the animal reservoir most likely originated from a caretaker. ..
- Mondal D, Chowdhury R, Huda M, Maheswary N, Akther S, Petzold M, et al. Insecticide-treated bed nets in rural Bangladesh: their potential role in the visceral leishmaniasis elimination programme. Trop Med Int Health. 2010;15:1382-9 pubmed publisher..Bed nets treated with slow-release insecticides can be an important complementary measure for sandfly control in the visceral leishmaniasis elimination programme. ..
- Chowdhury R, Huda M, Kumar V, Das P, Joshi A, Banjara M, et al. The Indian and Nepalese programmes of indoor residual spraying for the elimination of visceral leishmaniasis: performance and effectiveness. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2011;105:31-5 pubmed publisher..Preparation for, and the monitoring of, the IRS operations against sandfly populations in India and Nepal need to be improved. ..
- Leung D, Das S, Malek M, Ahmed D, Khanam F, Qadri F, et al. Non-typhoidal Salmonella gastroenteritis at a diarrheal hospital in Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1996-2011. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013;88:661-9 pubmed publisher..NTS patients had increased inflammatory cells in stool and required more fluid resuscitation. ..
- Andersen A, Schmidt L, Faurholt Jepsen D, Roos N, Friis H, Kongsbak K, et al. The effect of daily consumption of the small fish Amblypharyngodon mola or added vitamin A on iron status: a randomised controlled trial among Bangladeshi children with marginal vitamin A status. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2016;25:464-71 pubmed publisher..73 mg/l (95% ci 0.17, 1.28, p=0.01)????????????????????????? ???????????????????a ????????????? ??????????????????. ..
- Haque R, Mondal D, Kirkpatrick B, Akther S, Farr B, Sack R, et al. Epidemiologic and clinical characteristics of acute diarrhea with emphasis on Entamoeba histolytica infections in preschool children in an urban slum of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;69:398-405 pubmed..Understanding the etiology, frequency, and consequences of acute diarrhea in children from a developing country should aid in the design of interventions to improve child health. ..
- Alam S, Mustafa G, Ahmad N, Khan M. Presentation and endoscopic management of biliary ascariasis. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2007;38:631-5 pubmed..This should be kept in mind in the management of an acute abdomen, especially in tropical countries. Endoscopic extraction is a safe and effective procedure for the treatment of HPA...
- Saha A, Ahmed M. The analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of the extract of Albizia lebbeck in animal model. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2009;22:74-7 pubmed..In radiant heat tail-flick method the crude extract produced 40.74% (p<0.001) and 61.48% (p<0.001) elongation of tail flicking time 30 minutes after oral administration at the 200 and 400 mg/kg dose level, respectively. ..
- Nasrin S, Bachar S, Choudhuri M. Toxicological studies of "Chondrokola Rosh", an Ayurvedic preparation on liver function tests of rats. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011;8:170-4 pubmed publisher..This study showed that CKR had no remarkable toxic effect on liver of the animals despite the presence of traces of transformed heavy metals. ..
- Talukder F, Khan K, Uddin R, Jahan N, Alam M. In vitro free radical scavenging and anti-hyperglycemic activities of Achyranthes aspera extract in alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Drug Discov Ther. 2012;6:298-305 pubmed..Results revealed significant anti-hyperglycemic activity of A. aspera extracts in alloxan-treated mice that may be mediated by diminished oxidative stress. ..
- Rahmatullah M, Hossain M, Mahmud A, Sultana N, Rahman S, Islam M, et al. Antihyperglycemic and antinociceptive activity evaluation of 'khoyer' prepared from boiling the wood of Acacia catechu in water. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2013;10:1-5 pubmed..The results validate the folk medicinal use of the plant for reduction of blood sugar in diabetic patients, as well as the folk medicinal use for alleviation of pain. ..
- Al Amin M, Alam T, Hasan S, Hasan A, Quddus A. Prenatal maternal lipopolysaccharide administration leads to age- and region-specific oxidative stress in the early developmental stage in offspring. Neuroscience. 2016;318:84-93 pubmed publisher..Except MDA, all OS markers recovered and returned to the level of control animals on PnD-21. Taken together, these results suggest that prenatal LPS-exposure induces age- and region-specific OS in the early postnatal stage. ..
- Al Amin M, Reza H, Saadi H, Mahmud W, Ibrahim A, Alam M, et al. Astaxanthin ameliorates aluminum chloride-induced spatial memory impairment and neuronal oxidative stress in mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;777:60-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest a future study to determine the underlying mechanism of astaxanthin in improving aluminum-exposed behavioral deficits. ..
- SegalÃ©s J, Islam A, Kumar R, Liu Q, Sousa Victor P, Dilworth F, et al. Chromatin-wide and transcriptome profiling integration uncovers p38Î± MAPK as a global regulator of skeletal muscle differentiation. Skelet Muscle. 2016;6:9 pubmed publisher..These results uncover p38Î± association and function on chromatin at novel classes of target genes during skeletal muscle cell differentiation. This is consistent with this MAPK isoform being a transcriptional regulator. ..
- Alam M, Miyoshi S, Ahmed K, Hasan N, Tomochika K, Shinoda S. Proteolytic activation of Vibrio mimicus (Vm) major outer membrane protein haemagglutinin (HA) with Vm-HA/protease: Implication for understanding bacterial adherence. Microbiol Immunol. 2006;50:845-50 pubmed..mimicus strains. Proteolytic activation of OMPHA was also achieved with various proteases from bacterial and eukaryotic sources. These findings may indicate a novel coordination of V. mimicus HAs in the adherence of the bacterium...
- Alam M, Sultana M, Nair G, Siddique A, Hasan N, Sack R, et al. Viable but nonculturable Vibrio cholerae O1 in biofilms in the aquatic environment and their role in cholera transmission. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17801-6 pubmed..cholerae cells freshly discharged into the environment are significantly less robust than cells adapted to environmental conditions. ..
- Islam M, Mondol A, Azmi I, de Boer E, Beumer R, Zwietering M, et al. Occurrence and characterization of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in raw meat, raw milk, and street vended juices in Bangladesh. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2010;7:1381-5 pubmed publisher..This study represents the first survey of STEC in the food chain in Bangladesh. ..
- Rahman M, Molla A, Saha N, Rahman A. Study on heavy metals levels and its risk assessment in some edible fishes from Bangshi River, Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Food Chem. 2012;134:1847-54 pubmed publisher..From the human health point of view, this study showed that there was no possible health risk to consumers due to intake of studied fishes under the current consumption rate. ..
- Hossain H, Karmakar U, Biswas S, Shahid Ud Daula A, Jahan I, Adnan T, et al. Antinociceptive and antioxidant potential of the crude ethanol extract of the leaves of Ageratum conyzoides grown in Bangladesh. Pharm Biol. 2013;51:893-8 pubmed publisher..Ageratum conyzoides Linn. (Asteraceae) is an annual herbaceous plant with a long history of traditional medicinal and agricultural uses; it is usually grown in the northeast part of Bangladesh...
- Kamruzzaman M, Bari S, Faruque S. In vitro and in vivo bactericidal activity of Vitex negundo leaf extract against diverse multidrug resistant enteric bacterial pathogens. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2013;6:352-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it will be useful to identify and isolate the active compounds of this extract that could be a good alternative of antibiotics to treat cholera. ..
- Takeuchi H, Khan A, Yunus M, Hasan M, Hawlader M, Takanashi S, et al. Anti-Ascaris immunoglobulin E associated with bronchial hyper-reactivity in 9-year-old rural Bangladeshi children. Allergol Int. 2016;65:141-146 pubmed publisher..Anti-Ascaris IgE level is associated with an increased risk of BHR among 9-year-old rural Bangladeshi children. ..
- Openshaw J, Hegde S, Sazzad H, Khan S, Hossain M, Epstein J, et al. Increased Morbidity and Mortality in Domestic Animals Eating Dropped and Bitten Fruit in Bangladeshi Villages: Implications for Zoonotic Disease Transmission. Ecohealth. 2016;13:39-48 pubmed publisher..4). Reporting of illnesses and deaths among goats rose as the frequency of feeding bitten fruit increased. One possible explanation for this finding is the transmission of bat pathogens to domestic animals via bitten fruit consumption. ..
- Nahid M, Ross S, Umiker B, Li H, Sugii S, Bari L. Development of porcine ficolin-alpha monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies for determining the binding capacity of multiple GlcNAc-binding proteins to bacterial danger components. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2016;170:13-9 pubmed publisher..These proteins may play important roles in innate immunity by sensing danger components that can lead to antibacterial activity. ..
- Haque M, Ullah M, Nahar K. In vitro antibacterial and cytotoxic activities of different parts of plant Swietenia mahagony. Pak J Biol Sci. 2009;12:599-602 pubmed..The chloroform extract of seed and ethyl acetate extract of bark showed good cytotoxic activities and the LC50 values were found 13.75 and 11.64 microg mL(-1), respectively. ..
- Tanchangya J, Geater A. Use of traditional cooking fuels and the risk of young adult cataract in rural Bangladesh: a hospital-based case-control study. BMC Ophthalmol. 2011;11:16 pubmed publisher..There is a possibility that these apparent associations could have been the result of uncontrolled founding, for instance by wealth. The nature of the associations, therefore, needs to be further investigated. ..
- Mala W, Alam M, Angkititrakul S, Wongwajana S, Lulitanond V, Huttayananont S, et al. Serogroup, virulence, and molecular traits of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from clinical and cockle sources in northeastern Thailand. Infect Genet Evol. 2016;39:212-218 pubmed publisher..Seafoods such as cockles potentially serve as a source of virulent V. parahaemolyticus, but further work is required to identify possible additional sources. ..
- Ashraf H, Mahalanabis D, Mitra A, Tzipori S, Fuchs G. Hyperimmune bovine colostrum in the treatment of shigellosis in children: a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. Acta Paediatr. 2001;90:1373-8 pubmed..The results indicate that HBC as an adjuvant is unable to show any beneficial effect in reducing the stool frequency, duration or severity of childhood shigellosis due to S. dysenteriae type I infection. ..
- Rabbani G, Saha S, Akhtar M, Marni F, Mitra A, Ahmed S, et al. Antioxidants in detoxification of arsenic-induced oxidative injury in rabbits: preliminary results. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2003;38:273-87 pubmed..Arsenic toxicity increases nitric oxide production in the body. Exogenous antioxidants such as polyphenols and recipe of vitamins, zinc, and selenium are useful for arsenic detoxification. ..
- Sohrab M, Chowdhury R, Rahman K, Hasan C, Rashid M. Antibacterial activity and cytotoxicity of extractives from Ravenia spectabilis. Fitoterapia. 2004;75:510-3 pubmed..In a brine shrimp lethality bioassay, the extract and the fraction were found to exhibit moderate cytotoxicity having LC50 of 76.26 microg/ml and 14.98 microg/ml, respectively. ..
- Blum L, Khan R, Nahar N, Breiman R. In-depth assessment of an outbreak of Nipah encephalitis with person-to-person transmission in Bangladesh: implications for prevention and control strategies. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80:96-102 pubmed..Differing popular and medical views of illness caused conflict and rejection of biomedical recommendations. Future investigators should consider local perceptions of disease and treatment when developing outbreak strategies...
- Albert M, Ansaruzzaman M, Shimada T, Rahman A, Bhuiyan N, Nahar S, et al. Characterization of Aeromonas trota strains that cross-react with Vibrio cholerae O139 Bengal. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:3119-23 pubmed..Studies on bacteria that share somatic antigen with V. cholerae O139 may shed further light on the genesis of V. cholerae O139. ..
- Howard G, Pedley S, Tibatemwa S. Quantitative microbial risk assessment to estimate health risks attributable to water supply: can the technique be applied in developing countries with limited data?. J Water Health. 2006;4:49-65 pubmed..The study shows how QMRA can be used in countries with limited data, and that the outcome can provide valuable information for the management of water supplies. ..
- Rahman M, Hasan N, Das A, Hossain T, Jahan R, Khatun A, et al. Effect of Delonix regia leaf extract on glucose tolerance in glucose-induced hyperglycemic mice. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011;8:34-6 pubmed..The methanolic extract of leaf of Delonix regia had beneficial effects in reducing the elevated blood glucose level of hyperglycemic mice. ..
- Hirve S, Kroeger A, Matlashewski G, Mondal D, Banjara M, Das P, et al. Towards elimination of visceral leishmaniasis in the Indian subcontinent-Translating research to practice to public health. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005889 pubmed publisher..This paper describes the process of the TDR's engagement and contribution to this initiative...
- Hossain S, Rahman A, Kabir Y, Shams A, Afros F, Hashimoto M. Effects of shrimp (Macrobracium rosenbergii)-derived chitosan on plasma lipid profile and liver lipid peroxide levels in normo- and hypercholesterolaemic rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2007;34:170-6 pubmed..Liver LPO levels were positively correlated with the TUFA/TSFA molar ratio. 6. The present study suggests that dietary CS decreases the atherogenic lipid profiles of both NC and HC rats and reduces the bodyweight gain of HC rats. ..
- Zaman R, Alamgir A, Rahman M, Azziz Baumgartner E, Gurley E, Sharker M, et al. Influenza in outpatient ILI case-patients in national hospital-based surveillance, Bangladesh, 2007-2008. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8452 pubmed publisher..To scale-up such national interventions, we need to quantify the national rates of influenza and the economic burden associated with this disease through further studies. ..
- Mahmud M, Bari M, Hossain M. Prevalence of Salmonella serovars and antimicrobial resistance profiles in poultry of Savar area, Bangladesh. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2011;8:1111-8 pubmed publisher..The results of the present investigation suggested that multiple drug resistance is common among the Salmonella isolates of poultry and some of these isolates may have zoonotic implications. ..
- Huda M, Hirve S, Siddiqui N, Malaviya P, Banjara M, Das P, et al. Active case detection in national visceral leishmaniasis elimination programs in Bangladesh, India, and Nepal: feasibility, performance and costs. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:1001 pubmed publisher..However adequate time and resources are required for training, planning and strengthening referral services to overcome challenges faced by the programs in conducting ACD. ..
- Nesa M, Karim S, Api K, Sarker M, Islam M, Kabir A, et al. Screening of Baccaurea ramiflora (Lour.) extracts for cytotoxic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, neuropharmacological and antidiarrheal activities. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:35 pubmed publisher..Our investigation demonstrated significant cytotoxic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, CNS depressant and antidiarrheal activities of methanol extract of Baccaurea ramiflora pulp and seeds (200Â mg/kg). ..
- Faruque S, Asadulghani -, Saha M, Alim A, Albert M, Islam K, et al. Analysis of clinical and environmental strains of nontoxigenic Vibrio cholerae for susceptibility to CTXPhi: molecular basis for origination of new strains with epidemic potential. Infect Immun. 1998;66:5819-25 pubmed..cholerae are more likely to possess the TCP pathogenicity island and hence to be infected by CTXPhi, leading to the origination of potential new epidemic clones...
- Shoda R, Mahalanabis D, Islam K, Wahed M, Albert M. Folic acid supplementation on red kidney bean-induced diarrhoea and enteric bacterial translocation into mesenteric lymph nodes in rats: a pilot study. Acta Paediatr. 2002;91:51-4 pubmed..40 +/- 0.89 vs 1.42 +/- 1.31, p = 0.16) was documented. A significant positive correlation was also seen between the bacterial count in the jejunal mucosal scrapings and in the mesenteric lymph nodes...
- Luby S, Rahman M, Hossain M, Blum L, Husain M, Gurley E, et al. Foodborne transmission of Nipah virus, Bangladesh. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1888-94 pubmed..This investigation suggests that Nipah virus was transmitted from P. giganteus to persons through drinking fresh date palm sap...
- Talukder K, Mondol A, Islam M, Islam Z, Dutta D, Khajanchi B, et al. A novel serovar of Shigella dysenteriae from patients with diarrhoea in Bangladesh. J Med Microbiol. 2007;56:654-8 pubmed..coli serotype reference strains. It is therefore proposed that these isolates represent a new provisional serovar of S. dysenteriae, type strain KIVI 162...
- Sarker S, Pant N, Juneja L, Hammarstrom L. Successful treatment of rotavirus-induced diarrhoea in suckling mice with egg yolk immunoglobulin. J Health Popul Nutr. 2007;25:465-8 pubmed..The use of an animal model has allowed therapy to be evaluated with higher doses of immunoglobulins and has suggested that an improved therapeutic effect can be achieved by increasing the dose in the clinical setting...
- Ara N, Nur M, Amran M, Wahid M, Ahmed M. In vitro antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities of leaves and flowers extracts from Lippia alba. Pak J Biol Sci. 2009;12:87-90 pubmed
- Rahman M, Bachar S, Rahmatullah M. Analgesic and antiinflammatory activity of methanolic extract of Acalypha indica Linn. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2010;23:256-8 pubmed..The obtained results provide a support for the use of this plant in traditional medicine. ..
- Hossain M, Bulbul T, Ahmed K, Ahmed Z, Salimuzzaman M, Haque M, et al. Five-year (January 2004-December 2008) surveillance on animal bite and rabies vaccine utilization in the Infectious Disease Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Vaccine. 2011;29:1036-40 pubmed publisher..Only a negligible number of patients received rabies immunoglobulin (RIG). To prevent further human deaths and economic losses intra-dermal TCV regime and equine RIG should be immediately introduced in Bangladesh...
- Bin Sayeed M, Ratan M, Hossen F, Hassan F, Faisal M, Kadir M. Arsenosugar induced blood and brain oxidative stress, DNA damage and neurobehavioral impairments. Neurochem Res. 2013;38:405-12 pubmed publisher..This might be responsible for the dysfunction of cognitive and motor functions. However, further investigation is suggested for deciphering the biomolecular mechanism...
- Mostofa R, Ahmed S, Begum M, Sohanur Rahman M, Begum T, Ahmed S, et al. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory and gastric anti-ulcer activity of Phyllanthus niruri L. (Euphorbiaceae) leaves in experimental rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:267 pubmed publisher..niruri leaf possess anti-inflammatory activity and promotes ulcer protection as ascertained by regeneration of mucosal layer and substantial prevention of the formation of hemorrhage and edema. ..
- Sarker R, Giasuddin M, Chowdhury E, Islam M. Serological and virological surveillance of avian influenza virus in domestic ducks of the north-east region of Bangladesh. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:180 pubmed publisher..The H7 virus had cleavage site motif of low pathogenic virus. Low pathogenic avian influenza viruses were detected from apparently healthy domestic ducks. A small proportion of domestic ducks were found seropositive to H5 AI virus. ..
- Samad M, Mohsin M, Razu B, Hossain M, Mahzabeen S, Unnoor N, et al. -Gingerol, from Zingiber officinale, potentiates GLP-1 mediated glucose-stimulated insulin secretion pathway in pancreatic β-cells and increases RAB8/RAB10-regulated membrane presentation of GLUT4 transporters in skeletal muscle to improve hypergl. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:395 pubmed publisher
- Rouf A, Islam M, Rahman M. Evaluation of antidiarrhoeal activity Rumex maritimus root. J Ethnopharmacol. 2003;84:307-10 pubmed..Among these, the methanol extract most significantly prolonged the time for induction of diarrhoea, reduced the frequency of diarrhoeal episodes and also decreased the propulsion of charcoal meal through the gastrointestinal tract...
- Ansaruzzaman M, Sultana M, Talukder K, Alam K, Matsushita S, Safa A, et al. Isolation and characterization of provisional serovar Shigella boydii E16553 from diarrhoeal patients in Bangladesh. J Med Microbiol. 2005;54:477-80 pubmed..boydii 19...
- Alam M, Sultana M, Nair G, Sack R, Sack D, Siddique A, et al. Toxigenic Vibrio cholerae in the aquatic environment of Mathbaria, Bangladesh. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:2849-55 pubmed..The biofilm community is concluded to be an additional reservoir of cholera bacteria in the aquatic environment between seasonal epidemics of cholera in Bangladesh...
- Begum K, Ahsan C, Ansaruzzaman M, Dutta D, Ahmad Q, Talukder K. Toxin(s), other than cholera toxin, produced by environmental non O1 non O139 Vibrio cholerae. Cell Mol Immunol. 2006;3:115-21 pubmed..However, 87% of the isolates were positive for haemagglutinin/protease and all of the strains were positive for mannose-sensitive-haemagglutinin assay...
- Mondal D, Haque R, Sack R, Kirkpatrick B, Petri W. Attribution of malnutrition to cause-specific diarrheal illness: evidence from a prospective study of preschool children in Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80:824-6 pubmed..and Entamoeba histolytica were significantly more prevalent in malnourished children. We concluded that the malnutrition attributed risk is not equal for enteric pathogens associated with diarrheal illness...
- Mazid M, Datta B, Nahar L, Rashid M, Bachar S, Bashar S, et al. Analgesic and diuretic properties of alpha-santalone from Polygonum flaccidum. Phytother Res. 2010;24:1084-7 pubmed publisher..Complete (1)H and (13)C NMR data of 1 are also presented...
- Islam Q, Razzak M, Islam M, Bari M, Basher A, Chowdhury F, et al. Puffer fish poisoning in Bangladesh: clinical and toxicological results from large outbreaks in 2008. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2011;105:74-80 pubmed publisher..To improve the management of this and other poisoning in Bangladesh, facilities for life-saving assisted ventilation and related training of healthcare personnel are urgently needed at all levels of the health system...
- Shirin T, Rahman A, Danielsson A, Uddin T, Bhuyian T, Sheikh A, et al. Antimicrobial peptides in the duodenum at the acute and convalescent stages in patients with diarrhea due to Vibrio cholerae O1 or enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infection. Microbes Infect. 2011;13:1111-20 pubmed publisher..V. cholerae induced an innate immune response at the acute stage of disease characterized by increased expression of hBD-2, and continued expression of hBD-1, HD-5-6, and LL-37...
- Talukder K, Azmi I, Ahmed K, Hossain M, Kabir Y, Cravioto A, et al. Activation of p53/ATM-dependent DNA damage signaling pathway by shiga toxin in mammalian cells. Microb Pathog. 2012;52:311-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of involvement of ATM/p53 in STX-inducing mammalian cell death. ..
- Raqib R, Sarker P, Mily A, Alam N, Arifuzzaman A, Rekha R, et al. Efficacy of sodium butyrate adjunct therapy in shigellosis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:111 pubmed..Here, we aimed to evaluate whether butyrate can be used as an adjunct to antibiotics in the treatment of shigellosis in patients...
- Alam M, Choi J, Lee D. Synthesis of novel Schiff base analogues of 4-amino-1,5-dimethyl-2-phenylpyrazol-3-one and their evaluation for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. Bioorg Med Chem. 2012;20:4103-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, 3f showed promising antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities and may be used as the lead compound in a future study. ..
- Alam M, Chakma S, Khan W, Glass G, Mohon A, Elahi R, et al. Diversity of anopheline species and their Plasmodium infection status in rural Bandarban, Bangladesh. Parasit Vectors. 2012;5:150 pubmed publisher..Within these studies entomological surveillance has been undertaken to study the role of the existing anopheline species involved in the malaria transmission cycle throughout the year...
- Nabi A, Biswas K, Haque K, Arai Y, Nakagawa T, Ebihara A, et al. Acid-activated prorenin binds to (pro)renin receptor in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;428:506-11 pubmed publisher..5-0.77 ?M). These in vitro data indicate that prorenin acidified in vivo possibly modulate RA system in receptor-dependent and/or -independent manners which could ultimately lead to the pathogenesis of diseases. ..
- Jamil K, Ahmed K, Hossain M, Matsumoto T, Ali M, Hossain S, et al. Arctic-like rabies virus, Bangladesh. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:2021-4 pubmed publisher..Its glycoprotein has 3 potential N-glycosylation sites that affect viral pathogenesis. Diversity of rabies virus might have public health implications in Bangladesh...
- Zanoni P, Khetarpal S, Larach D, Hancock Cerutti W, Millar J, Cuchel M, et al. Rare variant in scavenger receptor BI raises HDL cholesterol and increases risk of coronary heart disease. Science. 2016;351:1166-71 pubmed publisher..P376L carriers have a profound HDL-related phenotype and an increased risk of CHD (odds ratio = 1.79, which is statistically significant). ..
- Chowdhury F, Rahman M, Sarkar M, Rabbi F, Khan S, Ahsan C, et al. Protection against shigellosis caused by Shigella dysenteriae serotype 4 in guinea pigs using Escherichia albertii DM104 as a live vaccine candidate strain. Acta Microbiol Immunol Hung. 2017;64:151-164 pubmed publisher..All these results reconfirm our previous findings and additionally point out that the intranasal immunization of the environmental E. albertii strain DM104 in guinea pig model can be a better live vaccine candidate against shigellosis. ..
- Haider N, Khan M, Hossain M, Sazzad H, Rahman M, Ahmed F, et al. Serological evidence of hepatitis E virus infection in pigs and jaundice among pig handlers in Bangladesh. Zoonoses Public Health. 2017;64:572-577 pubmed publisher..Identifying and genotyping HEV in pigs and pig handlers may provide further evidence of the pig's role in zoonotic HEV transmission in Bangladesh. ..
- Yoneyama T, Arai M, Akamine R, Koryudzu K, Tsuchiya A, Sadhu S, et al. Notch Inhibitors from Calotropis gigantea That Induce Neuronal Differentiation of Neural Stem Cells. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:2453-2461 pubmed publisher..The mechanism of uscharin (1) for the Notch signaling inhibitory activity would be acceleration of the degradation of the Notch intracellular domain (NICD) in the MEB5 cells. ..
- Rahman M, Alam A, Nessa K, Hossain A, Nahar S, Datta D, et al. Etiology of sexually transmitted infections among street-based female sex workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:1244-6 pubmed..gonorrhoeae, 25% were positive for C. trachomatis, 45.5% were positive for T. vaginalis, 32.6% were seropositive for T. pallidum, 62.5% were seropositive for HSV-2, and 51% had infections with two or more pathogens. ..
- Mottakin A, Chowdhury R, Haider M, Rahman K, Hasan C, Rashid M. Cytotoxicity and antibacterial activity of extractives from Wedelia calendulacea. Fitoterapia. 2004;75:355-9 pubmed
- van den Broek I, van der Wardt S, Talukder L, Chakma S, Brockman A, Nair S, et al. Drug resistance in Plasmodium falciparum from the Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh. Trop Med Int Health. 2004;9:680-7 pubmed..To assess the efficacy of antimalarial treatment and molecular markers of Plasmodium falciparum resistance in the Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh...
- Mondal D, Petri W, Sack R, Kirkpatrick B, Haque R. Entamoeba histolytica-associated diarrheal illness is negatively associated with the growth of preschool children: evidence from a prospective study. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2006;100:1032-8 pubmed..01-8.52, P=0.047) more likely to be malnourished and 4.69 times (95% CI 1.55-14.18, P=0.006) more prone to be stunted. Entamoeba histolytica-associated diarrheal illness was negatively associated with the growth of preschool children...
- Islam M, Khandoker M, Afroz S, Rahman M, Khan R. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of goat ovaries, follicles and oocytes in view of in vitro production of embryos. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2007;8:465-9 pubmed..45+/-0.19) vs (4.16+/-0.37) per ovary], follicles aspirated [(2.55+/-0.10) vs (2.48+/-0.21) per ovary] and normal COCs [(1.12+/-0.07) vs (0.76+/-0.14) per ovary] were found in CL-absent group than those of CL-present group of ovaries. ..
- Salam M, Sawada T, Ohya T, Ninomiya K, Hayashi S. Detection of environmental estrogenicity using transgenic medaka hatchlings (Oryzias latipes) expressing the GFP-tagged choriogenin L gene. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2008;43:272-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that ChgL-GFP transgenic medaka could be a simple and practical tool in detecting environmental estrogenicity considering the actual concentrations of estrogenic activity in contaminated and/or wastewater. ..
- Ahmad N, Khan M, Hoque M, Haque R, Mondol D. Detection of Entamoeba histolytica DNA from liver abscess aspirate using polymerase chain reaction (PCR): a diagnostic tool for amoebic liver abscess. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 2007;33:13-20 pubmed..The study indicates that detection of E.histolytica by PCR is more sensitive than amoebic antigen detection and PCR assay can be successfully used to confirm the diagnosis of amoebic liver abscess. ..