Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk factors in Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Locale: Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Topic: risk factors
- Rupp C, Beck J, Heinz A, Kemmler G, Manz S, Tempel K, et al. Impulsivity and Alcohol Dependence Treatment Completion: Is There a Neurocognitive Risk Factor at Treatment Entry?. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016;40:152-60 pubmed publisher..Poorer GNG response inhibition and a tendency toward steeper discounting of delayed rewards should be regarded as neurocognitive risk factors, which can be identified early in the course of alcohol dependence treatment. ..
- Peer A, Falkensammer G, Alber H, Kroiss A, Griesmacher A, Ulmer H, et al. Limited utilities of N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide and other newer risk markers compared with traditional risk factors for prediction of significant angiographic lesions in stable coronary artery disease. Heart. 2009;95:297-303 pubmed publisher..The predictive value of NT-proBNP for CAD severity is better than that of hs-CRP or GGT. However, NT-proBNP is also of limited value compared with traditional risk factors for predicting significant CAD. ..
- Weissenbacher A, Jara M, Ulmer H, Biebl M, BÃ¶smÃ¼ller C, Schneeberger S, et al. Recipient and donor body mass index as important risk factors for delayed kidney graft function. Transplantation. 2012;93:524-9 pubmed publisher..DGF results in inferior 1- and 5-year graft and patient survival. Recipient and donor BMI correlate with the incidence of DGF. Awareness thereof should have an impact on peri- and posttransplant measures in renal transplant recipients. ..
- Melmer A, Lamina C, Tschoner A, Ress C, Kaser S, Laimer M, et al. Body adiposity index and other indexes of body composition in the SAPHIR study: association with cardiovascular risk factors. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:775-81 pubmed publisher..BAI was inferior to BMI to predict anthropometric parameters other than HC, adiponectin, blood lipids, parameters of glucose homeostasis, and blood pressure in this cross-sectional study. ..
- Eisterer W, Bechter O, Hilbe W, van Driel M, Lokhorst H, Thaler J, et al. CD44 isoforms are differentially regulated in plasma cell dyscrasias and CD44v9 represents a new independent prognostic parameter in multiple myeloma. Leuk Res. 2001;25:1051-7 pubmed..36, P<0.02; CD44v9 expression: relative risk 1.45, P<0.04). These results substantiate the clinical relevance of CD44v domains in plasma cell disorders and establish CD44v9 as a new independent prognostic parameter in MM. ..
- Xu Q, Schett G, Perschinka H, Mayr M, Egger G, Oberhollenzer F, et al. Serum soluble heat shock protein 60 is elevated in subjects with atherosclerosis in a general population. Circulation. 2000;102:14-20 pubmed
- Benzer W, Philippi A, Hoefer S, Friedrich O, Oldridge N. Health-related quality of life predicts unplanned rehospitalization following coronary revascularization. Herz. 2016;41:138-43 pubmed publisher..2, 95â€‰% CI: 1.4-3.5) and social (HR: 1.8, 95â€‰% CI: 1.2-2.7) subscale scores. Poor HRQL assessed after coronary revascularization appears to be a powerful predictor of rehospitalization over a 3-year period. ..
- Baubin M, Kollmitzer J, Pomaroli A, Kraincuk P, Kranzl A, Sumann G, et al. Force distribution across the heel of the hand during simulated manual chest compression. Resuscitation. 1997;35:259-63 pubmed..To reduce the potential risk of sternal fractures by chest compressions applied too far in a cephalad direction, we recommend use of the right hand in contact if the rescuer kneels at the right side of the patient and vice versa. ..
- Sandhofer A, Tatarczyk T, Laimer M, Ritsch A, Kaser S, Paulweber B, et al. The Taq1B-variant in the cholesteryl ester-transfer protein gene and the risk of metabolic syndrome. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:919-22 pubmed publisher..43 (0.26-0.72), P = 0.001). Furthermore, the risk reduction was more pronounced in men than in women. We conclude that CETP plays an important role in the metabolic syndrome, possibly involving novel functions of CETP. ..
- Willeit K, Pechlaner R, Egger G, Weger S, Oberhollenzer M, Willeit J, et al. Carotid atherosclerosis and incident atrial fibrillation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:2660-5 pubmed publisher..2; 95% confidence interval, 2.6-6.8; P<0.0001). We found that subjects with carotid atherosclerosis are at high risk of developing AF. ..
- Schaefer F, Hoppe B, Jungraithmayr T, Klaus G, Pape L, Farouk M, et al. Safety and usage of darbepoetin alfa in children with chronic kidney disease: prospective registry study. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:443-53 pubmed publisher..No new safety signals for DA were identified in children receiving DA for CKD anemia for â‰¤2 years. Based on Hb concentrations and transfusion requirements, DA was effective at managing anemia in these patients. ..
- Sandhofer A, Tatarczyk T, Kirchmair R, Iglseder B, Paulweber B, Patsch J, et al. Are plasma VEGF and its soluble receptor sFlt-1 atherogenic risk factors? Cross-sectional data from the SAPHIR study. Atherosclerosis. 2009;206:265-9 pubmed publisher..Plasma VEGF and sFlt-1 are only weakly correlated with cardiovascular risk factors, suggesting that circulating VEGF levels do have only a minor impact on the development of atherosclerosis. ..
- Hogl B. Periodic limb movements are associated with disturbed sleep. Pro. J Clin Sleep Med. 2007;3:12-4 pubmed
- Emshoff R, Brandlmaier I, Schmid C, Bertram S, Rudisch A. Bone marrow edema of the mandibular condyle related to internal derangement, osteoarthrosis, and joint effusion. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003;61:35-40 pubmed..However, the data re-emphasize the aspect that internal derangement, osteoarthrosis, and effusion may not be regarded as the unique and dominant factors in defining TMJ bone marrow edema instances. ..
- Heinz A, Decillia M, Feuchtner G, Mueller S, Bartel T, Friedrich G, et al. Relative amplitude index: a new tool for hemodynamic evaluation of periprosthetic regurgitation after transcatheter valve implantation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;147:1021-8, 1029.e1-2 pubmed publisher..820; 95% CI, 5.181-31.250; PÂ =Â .00031) were found to be independent predictors of mortality at 1 year. The RAI is a useful tool to predict perioperative and 1-year outcome in patients with PAR after TAVI. ..
- Weichbold V, Nekahm Heis D, Welzl Mueller K. Universal newborn hearing screening and postnatal hearing loss. Pediatrics. 2006;117:e631-6 pubmed..Additional methods, such as hearing screening at nursery schools or schools, are recommended. ..
- Grassegger A, Pohla Gubo G, Frauscher M, Hintner H. Autoantibodies in systemic sclerosis (scleroderma): clues for clinical evaluation, prognosis and pathogenesis. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2008;158:19-28 pubmed publisher..Anti-RNA polymerase I/III antibodies are associated with a high risk for renal involvement. Autoantibodies against the PDGF receptor and fibrillin-1 seem to play important roles in the pathogenetic process of systemic sclerosis. ..
- BÃ¼scher A, Beck B, Melk A, Hoefele J, Kranz B, Bamborschke D, et al. Rapid Response to Cyclosporin A and Favorable Renal Outcome in Nongenetic Versus Genetic Steroid-Resistant Nephrotic Syndrome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;11:245-53 pubmed publisher..CsA should be given for a minimum period of 6 months in these patients with nongenetic SRNS. In genetic SRNS, response to CsA was low and restricted to exceptional patients. ..
- Streif W, Ageno W. Direct thrombin and factor Xa inhibitors in children: a quest for new anticoagulants for children. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2011;161:73-9 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the characteristics of VTE in children and reviews current knowledge on the use of the new thrombin and factor Xa inhibitors in this population. ..
- Sterlacci W, Heiss S, Augustin F, Tzankov A. Splenic rupture, beyond and behind: a histological, morphometric and follow-up study of 254 cases. Pathobiology. 2006;73:280-7 pubmed..Splenic rupture is due to an often unexpected underlying disease in approximately 10% of the cases. This should be kept in mind when dealing with susceptible patient groups. ..
- Wick G. Atherosclerosis--an autoimmune disease due to an immune reaction against heat-shock protein 60. Herz. 2000;25:87-90 pubmed..As another possibility, the initiation of the disease by a bona fide autoimmune reaction against chemically altered autologous hsp60 is discussed. ..
- Stuhlinger M, Hintringer F, Berger T. [Palpitations in competitive athletes. Risks from premature beats, nonsustained tachycardia and preexcitation]. Herz. 2009;34:315-22 pubmed publisher..Recommendations to limit physical activity and specific treatment options depend on the type of the arrhythmia and the presence and the nature of underlying cardiac disease. ..
- Millonig G, Malcom G, Wick G. Early inflammatory-immunological lesions in juvenile atherosclerosis from the Pathobiological Determinants of Atherosclerosis in Youth (PDAY)-study. Atherosclerosis. 2002;160:441-8 pubmed..We therefore demonstrated that immunological-inflammatory cells are present in the earliest stages of atherogenesis in 15-34-year-old subjects, arguing in favour of an initiating role of the immune system in atherosclerosis development. ..
- Geltner C, Lass FlÃ¶rl C. Invasive pulmonary Aspergillosis in organ transplants--Focus on lung transplants. Respir Investig. 2016;54:76-84 pubmed publisher..Early diagnosis and therapy is crucial. Reliable information on the local microbiological spectrum is a prerequisite for the effective treatment of molds with primary or secondary resistance to antimycotic drugs. ..
- Niedermüller U, Trinka E, Bauer G. Abducens palsy after lumbar puncture. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2002;104:61-3 pubmed..The presented case emphasizes the use of atraumatic small-size needles for lumbar puncture. ..
- Sprenger F, Seppi K, Poewe W. Drug safety evaluation of rotigotine. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2012;11:503-12 pubmed publisher..In addition, transdermal delivery is associated with local skin reactions, which are usually mild but may lead to a treatment discontinuation in a minority of patients. ..
- Gasser R. Cholestasis and metabolic bone disease - a clinical review. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2008;158:553-7 pubmed publisher..After orthotopic liver transplantation bone mineral density improves in long-term follow-up. Studies are needed for fracture prevention in chronic liver disease...
- Pechlaner R, Weiss G, Bansal S, Mayr M, Santer P, Pallhuber B, et al. Inadequate hepcidin serum concentrations predict incident type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2016;32:187-92 pubmed publisher..Hepcidin levels that are inadequately low in relation to body iron stores are an independent predictor for incident T2DM and may contribute to diabetes-related tissue iron overload. Copyright Â© 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Zimmerhackl L, Scheiring J, Prüfer F, Taylor C, Loirat C. Renal transplantation in HUS patients with disorders of complement regulation. Pediatr Nephrol. 2007;22:10-6 pubmed..espn.ucwm.ac.uk . On no account should live related donation take place unless the risks of graft loss are understood. International collaboration to identify safer ways of transplanting these challenging patients is urgently needed...
- Blasko I, Jungwirth S, Jellinger K, Kemmler G, Krampla W, Weissgram S, et al. Effects of medications on plasma amyloid beta (Abeta) 42: longitudinal data from the VITA cohort. J Psychiatr Res. 2008;42:946-55 pubmed..Whether the use of gingko biloba might prevent the conversion to MCI or AD needs to be proven in prospective, clinical trials. ..
- Boes E, Kollerits B, Heid I, Hunt S, Pichler M, Paulweber B, et al. INSIG2 polymorphism is neither associated with BMI nor with phenotypes of lipoprotein metabolism. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:827-33 pubmed publisher..Our results do not support an association of the INSIG2 gene with the regulation of body weight or parameters related to lipoprotein metabolism. ..
- Strasak A, Pfeiffer R, Klenk J, Hilbe W, Oberaigner W, Gregory M, et al. Prospective study of the association of gamma-glutamyltransferase with cancer incidence in women. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:1902-6 pubmed publisher..006). Our study is the first to demonstrate in a large population-based cohort that high GGT levels significantly increased cancer risk in women. ..
- Hofer J, Janecke A, Zimmerhackl L, Riedl M, Rosales A, Giner T, et al. Complement factor H-related protein 1 deficiency and factor H antibodies in pediatric patients with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:407-15 pubmed publisher..Initial presentation of Shiga toxin-negative HUS with severe thrombocytopenia and no central nervous system complications in pediatric patients is especially suspicious for CFH antibody aHUS. ..
- Kralinger F, Golser K, Wischatta R, Wambacher M, Sperner G. Predicting recurrence after primary anterior shoulder dislocation. Am J Sports Med. 2002;30:116-20 pubmed..Patients in this age group who participate in high-risk sports activities should undergo primary surgical stabilization because of the increased risk of recurrence...
- Madersbacher H, Cardozo L, Chapple C, Abrams P, Toozs Hobson P, Young J, et al. What are the causes and consequences of bladder overdistension? ICI-RS 2011. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31:317-21 pubmed publisher..To report the outcome of the think tank on prolonged bladder overdistension from the 3rd ICI-RS meeting...
- Schulman Marcus J, Hartaigh B, Gransar H, Lin F, Valenti V, Cho I, et al. Sex-Specific Associations Between Coronary Artery Plaque Extent and Risk of Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events: The CONFIRM Long-Term Registry. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016;9:364-372 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to examine sex-specific associations, if any, between per-vessel coronary artery disease (CAD) extent and the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) over a 5-year study duration...
- Boes E, Coassin S, Kollerits B, Heid I, Kronenberg F. Genetic-epidemiological evidence on genes associated with HDL cholesterol levels: a systematic in-depth review. Exp Gerontol. 2009;44:136-60 pubmed publisher..The resulting findings will probably result in a re-drawing and extension of the involved metabolic pathways of HDLC metabolism...
- Pinggera D, Unterhofer C, Görtz P, Thome C, Ortler M. Postoperative Thromboembolic Prophylaxis with Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin and Risk of Rebleeding in Patients with Chronic Subdural Hematomas: A Comparative Retrospective Cohort Study. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:284-290 pubmed publisher..24, 95% confidence interval 0.63-2.44, P = 0.532, absolute risk reduction -0.05). Our data provide preliminary evidence that early postoperative administration of LWMH does not increase risk of clinically relevant recurrence of CSDHs. ..
- Mairer K, Wille M, Burtscher M. The prevalence of and risk factors for acute mountain sickness in the Eastern and Western Alps. High Alt Med Biol. 2010;11:343-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, expert advice by mountain guides or experienced colleagues could help to reduce the AMS risk in these subjects...
- Faserl K, Golderer G, Kremser L, Lindner H, Sarg B, Wildt L, et al. Polymorphism in vitamin D-binding protein as a genetic risk factor in the pathogenesis of endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E233-41 pubmed publisher..Future studies evaluating specific vitamin D-binding protein polymorphisms as a risk factor for endometriosis in larger populations of women are warranted. ..
- Kiechl S, Laxton R, Xiao Q, Hernesniemi J, Raitakari O, Kahonen M, et al. Coronary artery disease-related genetic variant on chromosome 10q11 is associated with carotid intima-media thickness and atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:2678-83 pubmed publisher..62 ng/mL for T/T versus 2.74 ng/mL for C/C or C/T; P=0.023). The coronary heart disease-related variant at the 10q11.21 locus is associated with carotid IMT and atherosclerosis. ..
- Burtscher M, Gatterer H, Flatz M, Sommersacher R, Woldrich T, Ruedl G, et al. Effects of modern ski equipment on the overall injury rate and the pattern of injury location in Alpine skiing. Clin J Sport Med. 2008;18:355-7 pubmed publisher..The maintenance of adequate binding adjustment is especially important for the prevention of knee injuries in female carving skiers. ..
- Voskarides K, Stefanou C, Pieri M, Demosthenous P, Felekkis K, Arsali M, et al. A functional variant in NEPH3 gene confers high risk of renal failure in primary hematuric glomerulopathies. Evidence for predisposition to microalbuminuria in the general population. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174274 pubmed publisher..Additionally, genetics studies provide evidence for a role in predisposing homozygous subjects of the general population to micro-albuminuria. ..
- Tschiderer L, Willeit J, Schett G, Kiechl S, Willeit P. Osteoprotegerin concentration and risk of cardiovascular outcomes in nine general population studies: Literature-based meta-analysis involving 26,442 participants. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183910 pubmed publisher..05). Elevated osteoprotegerin concentration is associated with an increased risk of incident cardiovascular disease in the general population. The mechanisms underlying this observation deserve further investigation. ..
- Gaenzer H, Marschang P, Sturm W, Neumayr G, Vogel W, Patsch J, et al. Association between increased iron stores and impaired endothelial function in patients with hereditary hemochromatosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;40:2189-94 pubmed..Consequent iron-depletion therapy normalizes endothelial function and may thus reduce the increased risk of cardiovascular events. Female patients may be at a reduced risk, presumably due to continuous iron loss by menstruation. ..
- Willeit J, Kiechl S, Weimer T, Mair A, Santer P, Wiedermann C, et al. Marburg I polymorphism of factor VII--activating protease: a prominent risk predictor of carotid stenosis. Circulation. 2003;107:667-70 pubmed
- Wiesmayr S, Tabarelli W, Stelzmueller I, Nachbaur D, Boesmueller C, Wykypiel H, et al. Listeria meningitis in transplant recipients. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2005;117:229-33 pubmed..Meningitis is a rare complication following organ and stem-cell transplantation and can be caused by a variety of microorganisms...
- Schgoer W, Eller P, Mueller T, Tancevski I, Wehinger A, Ulmer H, et al. The MTP -493TT genotype is associated with peripheral arterial disease: results from the Linz Peripheral Arterial Disease (LIPAD) Study. Clin Biochem. 2008;41:712-6 pubmed publisher..011), LDL cholesterol (p=0.002) and apolipoprotein B (p=0.034). Our results provide preliminary evidence for a potential role of the MTP -493TT genotype in the pathogenesis of PAD. ..
- Schwentner C, Oswald J, Lunacek A, Pelzer A, Fritsch H, Schlenck B, et al. Extracellular microenvironment and cytokine profile of the ureterovesical junction in children with vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol. 2008;180:694-700 pubmed publisher..We investigated the presence of regulating cytokines and the extracellular matrix composition to elucidate further the pathophysiology of vesicoureteral reflux...
- Ehrlenbach S, Willeit P, Kiechl S, Willeit J, Reindl M, Schanda K, et al. Influences on the reduction of relative telomere length over 10 years in the population-based Bruneck Study: introduction of a well-controlled high-throughput assay. Int J Epidemiol. 2009;38:1725-34 pubmed publisher..Our methodology proved to be a reliable tool for a rapid, accurate and cost-efficient determination of RTL with a low amount of DNA. ..
- Rudnicki M, Perco P, Neuwirt H, Noppert S, Leierer J, Sunzenauer J, et al. Increased renal versican expression is associated with progression of chronic kidney disease. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44891 pubmed..These data show for the first time an association of renal versican isoform V0 and V1 expression with progressive renal disease. ..
- Smekal V, Oberladstaetter J, Struve P, Krappinger D. Shaft fractures of the clavicle: current concepts. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009;129:807-15 pubmed publisher..Though, indications for operative management remain controversial. Further prospective randomized comparative clinical trials are necessary for a well-founded risk-benefit analysis...
- Suhre K, Shin S, Petersen A, Mohney R, Meredith D, Wägele B, et al. Human metabolic individuality in biomedical and pharmaceutical research. Nature. 2011;477:54-60 pubmed publisher..The study advances our knowledge of the genetic basis of metabolic individuality in humans and generates many new hypotheses for biomedical and pharmaceutical research. ..
- Dichtl W, Wolber T, Paoli U, Brüllmann S, Stuhlinger M, Berger T, et al. Appropriate therapy but not inappropriate shocks predict survival in implantable cardioverter defibrillator patients. Clin Cardiol. 2011;34:433-6 pubmed publisher..However, it confirms that appropriate ICD therapy is a warning sign and should prompt physicians to consider additional treatment strategies. ..
- Blocher J, Schmutzhard E, Wilkins P, Gupton P, Schaffert M, Auer H, et al. A cross-sectional study of people with epilepsy and neurocysticercosis in Tanzania: clinical characteristics and diagnostic approaches. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1185 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to systematically compare the clinical characteristics of PWE due to NCC or other causes and to explore the utility of two different antibody tests for diagnosis of NCC in sub-Saharan Africa. ..
- Stemberger S, Scholz S, Singleton A, Wenning G. Genetic players in multiple system atrophy: unfolding the nature of the beast. Neurobiol Aging. 2011;32:1924.e5-14 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the emerging evidence in favor of genetic players in MSA. ..
- Burtscher M, Mairer K, Wille M, Broessner G. Risk factors for high-altitude headache in mountaineers. Cephalalgia. 2011;31:706-11 pubmed publisher..The aim was to identify most relevant risk factors of high-altitude headache within a broad mountaineering population through a prospective, observational, rater-blinded study...
- Mader S, Lutterotti A, Di Pauli F, Kuenz B, Schanda K, Aboul Enein F, et al. Patterns of antibody binding to aquaporin-4 isoforms in neuromyelitis optica. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10455 pubmed publisher..Our results confirm M-23 AQP4-IgG Abs as reliable biomarkers in patients with NMO and high risk syndromes. M-1 and M-23 AQP4-IgG Abs are significantly associated with a higher number of relapses and longer disease duration. ..
- Weigel F, Lemke A, TÃ¶nshoff B, Pape L, Fehrenbach H, Henn M, et al. Febrile urinary tract infection after pediatric kidney transplantation: a multicenter, prospective observational study. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:1021-8 pubmed publisher..This prospective study confirms a high incidence of fUTI after pediatric KTx, which is not restricted to patients with CAKUT; fUTIs have a negative impact on graft function during the infectious episode but not on 2-year graft outcome. ..
- Beer R, Lackner P, Pfausler B, Schmutzhard E. Nosocomial ventriculitis and meningitis in neurocritical care patients. J Neurol. 2008;255:1617-24 pubmed publisher..Rapid diagnosis and prompt initiation of appropriate antimicrobial therapy is needed. A stepwise algorithm for the management of EVD-related ventriculitis is proposed. ..