Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on liver in Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Locale: Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
- Moschen A, Wieser V, Tilg H. Adiponectin: key player in the adipose tissue-liver crosstalk. Curr Med Chem. 2012;19:5467-73 pubmed..Targeting adiponectin could evolve as a major treatment concept especially for fatty liver diseases in the future. ..
- Tilg H, Jalan R, Kaser A, Davies N, Offner F, Hodges S, et al. Anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha monoclonal antibody therapy in severe alcoholic hepatitis. J Hepatol. 2003;38:419-25 pubmed..Our data suggest that randomized controlled trials of anti-TNF antibody in severe AH are warranted. ..
- Muller T, Langner C, Fuchsbichler A, Heinz Erian P, Ellemunter H, Schlenck B, et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of Mallory bodies in Wilsonian and non-Wilsonian hepatic copper toxicosis. Hepatology. 2004;39:963-9 pubmed..By sequestering potentially harmful misfolded ubiquitinated proteins as inert cytoplasmic inclusion bodies (e.g., as MBs), p62 may be a major player in an important cellular rescue mechanism in oxidative hepatocyte injury. ..
- Tancevski I, Wehinger A, Demetz E, Hoefer J, Eller P, Huber E, et al. The thyromimetic T-0681 protects from atherosclerosis. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:938-44 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that liver-selective thyromimetics, such as T-0681, may prove to be useful therapeutic agents against the development of atherosclerosis in humans. ..
- Dorn L, Menezes L, Mikuz G, Otto H, Onuchic L, Sergi C. Immunohistochemical detection of polyductin and co-localization with liver progenitor cell markers during normal and abnormal development of the intrahepatic biliary system and in adult hepatobiliary carcinomas. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:1279-90 pubmed publisher
- Finkenstedt A, Wolf E, Höfner E, Gasser B, Bösch S, Bakry R, et al. Hepatic but not brain iron is rapidly chelated by deferasirox in aceruloplasminemia due to a novel gene mutation. J Hepatol. 2010;53:1101-7 pubmed publisher..Iron chelation with deferasirox was effective in mobilizing hepatic iron but has no effect on brain iron. ..
- Moschen A, Molnar C, Enrich B, Geiger S, Ebenbichler C, Tilg H. Adipose and liver expression of interleukin (IL)-1 family members in morbid obesity and effects of weight loss. Mol Med. 2011;17:840-5 pubmed publisher..Excessive weight loss changes the adipose and liver expression profile of IL-1F members toward a more antiinflammatory direction. ..
- Ladurner R, Hochleitner B, Schneeberger S, Barnas U, Krismer A, Kleinsasser A, et al. Extended liver resection and hepatic ischemia in pigs: a new, potentially reversible model to induce acute liver failure and study artificial liver support systems. Eur Surg Res. 2005;37:365-9 pubmed..This technique of extended liver resection after hepatic ischemia in the porcine model may be useful for studies of potentially reversible acute liver failure and experimental bioartificial support. ..
- Czermak B, Akhan O, Hiemetzberger R, Zelger B, Vogel W, Jaschke W, et al. Echinococcosis of the liver. Abdom Imaging. 2008;33:133-43 pubmed..Invasion into the bile ducts, portal vein or hepatic vein may occur. Direct spread of infected tissue may result in cysts in the peritoneal cavity, kidneys, adrenal gland or bones. ..
- Ritsch A, Tancevski I, Schgoer W, Pfeifhofer C, Gander R, Eller P, et al. Molecular characterization of rabbit scavenger receptor class B types I and II: portal to central vein gradient of expression in the liver. J Lipid Res. 2004;45:214-22 pubmed publisher..As shown in this report, identification and characterization of SR-BI expression in the rabbit affords a powerful tool to elucidate the role of SR-BI in cholesterol homeostasis and atherogenesis in human...
- Eller P, Schgoer W, Mueller T, Tancevski I, Wehinger A, Ulmer H, et al. Hepatic lipase polymorphism and increased risk of peripheral arterial disease. J Intern Med. 2005;258:344-8 pubmed..Our results extend these data to the vascular territory of the lower limbs, such that hepatic lipase promoter variation represents a genetic risk factor of PAD. ..
- Kiechl S, Wittmann J, Giaccari A, Knoflach M, Willeit P, Bozec A, et al. Blockade of receptor activator of nuclear factor-?B (RANKL) signaling improves hepatic insulin resistance and prevents development of diabetes mellitus. Nat Med. 2013;19:358-63 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study provides evidence for a role of RANKL signaling in the pathogenesis of T2DM. If so, translation to the clinic may be feasible given current pharmacological strategies to lower RANKL activity to treat osteoporosis. ..
- Maglione M, Cardini B, Oberhuber R, Watschinger K, Jenny M, Gostner J, et al. Prevention of lethal murine pancreas ischemia reperfusion injury is specific for tetrahydrobiopterin. Transpl Int. 2012;25:1084-95 pubmed publisher..These results show a striking superiority of tetrahydrobiopterin in preventing lethal IRI compared with related compounds and suggest nitric oxide synthases as treatment target...
- Demetz E, Tancevski I, Duwensee K, Stanzl U, Huber E, Heim C, et al. Inhibition of hepatic scavenger receptor-class B type I by RNA interference decreases atherosclerosis in rabbits. Atherosclerosis. 2012;222:360-6 pubmed publisher..Our results are another indication that the role of SR-BI in lipoprotein metabolism and atherogenesis in rabbits--a CETP-expressing animal model displaying a manlike lipoprotein profile may be different from the one found in rodents...
- Theurl I, Schroll A, Nairz M, Seifert M, Theurl M, Sonnweber T, et al. Pathways for the regulation of hepcidin expression in anemia of chronic disease and iron deficiency anemia in vivo. Haematologica. 2011;96:1761-9 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, iron deficiency inducible regulatory pathways can reverse inflammation mediated stimulation of hepcidin expression. ..
- Poelzl G, Ess M, Mussner Seeber C, Pachinger O, Frick M, Ulmer H. Liver dysfunction in chronic heart failure: prevalence, characteristics and prognostic significance. Eur J Clin Invest. 2012;42:153-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose a cardio-hepatic syndrome in CHF. Future studies are needed to clarify the exact mechanisms of organ interaction. ..
- Mayr R, Griffiths W, Hermann M, McFarlane I, Halsall D, Finkenstedt A, et al. Identification of mutations in SLC40A1 that affect ferroportin function and phenotype of human ferroportin iron overload. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:2056-63, 2063.e1 pubmed publisher..The variant p.W158C in SLC40A1 impairs intracellular trafficking of ferroportin, resulting in reduced iron export. The variant p.H507R does not bind hepcidin in vitro and results in apparent hepcidin resistance. ..
- Weiler S, Fiegl D, MacFarland R, Stienecke E, Bellmann Weiler R, Dunzendorfer S, et al. Human tissue distribution of voriconazole. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:925-8 pubmed publisher..41 ?g/g (IQR, 16.72 ?g/g) in the brain, 6.89 ?g/g (IQR, 24.16 ?g/g) in the liver, 6.47 ?g/g (IQR, 6.19 ?g/g) in the kidneys, 5.60 ?g/g (IQR, 11.49 ?g/g) in the spleen, and 7.55 ?g/g (IQR, 16.91 ?g/g) in the myocardium. ..
- Moschen A, Molnar C, Geiger S, Graziadei I, Ebenbichler C, Weiss H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of excessive weight loss: potent suppression of adipose interleukin 6 and tumour necrosis factor alpha expression. Gut. 2010;59:1259-64 pubmed publisher..Expression of IL-6 and TNFalpha mRNA is more pronounced in adipose compared to liver tissue in patients with severe obesity. Our results highlight excessive weight loss as a successful anti-inflammatory strategy. ..