Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on enzyme activation in Vienna, Austria
Locale: Vienna, Austria
Topic: enzyme activation
- Minichsdorfer C, Hohenegger M. Autocrine amplification loop in statin-induced apoptosis of human melanoma cells. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;157:1278-90 pubmed publisher..This pro-apoptotic stimulus implies possible therapeutic potential and may guide feasibility for more potent statins in anti-cancer strategies. ..
- Scheiflinger F, Dockal M, Rosing J, Kerschbaumer R. Enhancement of the enzymatic activity of activated coagulation factor IX by anti-factor IX antibodies. J Thromb Haemost. 2008;6:315-22 pubmed..Our findings show that FVIII can, at least partially, be replaced by an unrelated molecule. Procoagulant antibodies might potentially aid the development of an FVIII substitute for hemophilia A treatment. ..
- Kumerz M, Heiss E, Schachner D, Atanasov A, Dirsch V. Resveratrol inhibits migration and Rac1 activation in EGF- but not PDGF-activated vascular smooth muscle cells. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011;55:1230-6 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to discover an anti-migratory potential of RV in EGF-activated VSMC that is most likely mediated via Rac1 inhibition. ..
- Stadelmann C, Deckwerth T, Srinivasan A, Bancher C, Bruck W, Jellinger K, et al. Activation of caspase-3 in single neurons and autophagic granules of granulovacuolar degeneration in Alzheimer's disease. Evidence for apoptotic cell death. Am J Pathol. 1999;155:1459-66 pubmed
- Eckhart L, Declercq W, Ban J, Rendl M, Lengauer B, Mayer C, et al. Terminal differentiation of human keratinocytes and stratum corneum formation is associated with caspase-14 activation. J Invest Dermatol. 2000;115:1148-51 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that caspase-14 is activated during KC differentiation and strongly suggest that it is involved in the formation of the human skin barrier.J Invest Dermatol 115:1148-1151 2000 ..
- Nowak C, Laredo T, Gebert J, Lipkowski J, Gennis R, Ferguson Miller S, et al. 2D-SEIRA spectroscopy to highlight conformational changes of the cytochrome c oxidase induced by direct electron transfer. Metallomics. 2011;3:619-27 pubmed publisher..The activated state was characterized by a higher number of correlated transitions as well as a higher number of amino acids associated with electron transfer...
- Prchal Murphy M, Semper C, Lassnig C, Wallner B, Gausterer C, Teppner Klymiuk I, et al. TYK2 kinase activity is required for functional type I interferon responses in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39141 pubmed publisher..Tyk2(K923E) mice represent the first model for studying the kinase-independent function of a JAK in vivo and for assessing the consequences of side effects of JAK inhibitors. ..
- Kolbus A, Pilat S, Husak Z, Deiner E, Stengl G, Beug H, et al. Raf-1 antagonizes erythroid differentiation by restraining caspase activation. J Exp Med. 2002;196:1347-53 pubmed..These results reveal an essential function of Raf-1 in erythropoiesis and demonstrate that the ability of Raf-1 to restrict caspase activation is biologically relevant in a context distinct from apoptosis. ..
- Varadi K, Turecek P, Mitterer A, Dorner F, Schwarz H. Thrombin-mediated in vitro processing of pro-von Willebrand factor. Thromb Haemost. 2001;86:1449-58 pubmed..Hirudin preconditioning of vWF-deficient mice attenuated processing of infused rpvWF suggesting that thrombin plays a part in the processing events in vivo. ..
- Reiser V, Salah S, Ammerer G. Polarized localization of yeast Pbs2 depends on osmostress, the membrane protein Sho1 and Cdc42. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:620-7 pubmed..Sho1 itself accumulates at sites of polar growth, but independently of stress conditions and Cdc42. These observations allow us to define the sequence of events that occurs during propogation of osmostress signals. ..
- Jesenberger V, Procyk K, Yuan J, Reipert S, Baccarini M. Salmonella-induced caspase-2 activation in macrophages: a novel mechanism in pathogen-mediated apoptosis. J Exp Med. 2000;192:1035-46 pubmed..The ability of Salmonella to induce caspase-1-independent macrophage apoptosis may play a role in situations in which activation of this protease is either prevented or uncoupled from the induction of apoptosis. ..
- Niault T, Sobczak I, Meissl K, Weitsman G, Piazzolla D, Maurer G, et al. From autoinhibition to inhibition in trans: the Raf-1 regulatory domain inhibits Rok-alpha kinase activity. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:335-42 pubmed publisher..Downstream of Ras and Rho, the Raf-1-Rok-alpha interaction represents a novel paradigm of pathway cross talk that contributes to tumorigenesis and cell motility. ..
- Wandl S, Wesierska Gadek J. Is olomoucine, a weak CDK2 inhibitor, able to induce apoptosis in cancer cells?. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1171:242-9 pubmed publisher..It remains to clarify whether the strong proapoptotic effect of OLO observed in HL-60 cells depends on their differentiation status...
- Wesierska Gadek J. mTOR and its link to the picture of Dorian Gray - re-activation of mTOR promotes aging. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:892-3 pubmed
- Nguyen H, Nguyen T, Nguyen T, Peterbauer C, Mathiesen G, Haltrich D. Chitinase from Bacillus licheniformis DSM13: expression in Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1 and biochemical characterisation. Protein Expr Purif. 2012;81:166-74 pubmed publisher..4 days at 37 and 50°C, respectively), and good stability in the pH range of 5-10. The results presented lead the way to overproduction of chitinase in a food-grade system, which is of interest for the food and feed industry...
- Hadzijusufovic E, Peter B, Herrmann H, Rülicke T, Cerny Reiterer S, Schuch K, et al. NI-1: a novel canine mastocytoma model for studying drug resistance and IgER-dependent mast cell activation. Allergy. 2012;67:858-68 pubmed publisher..Kit mutations supposedly contribute to abnormal growth and drug resistance in these patients...
- Kramer E, Gieffers C, Hölzl G, Hengstschlager M, Peters J. Activation of the human anaphase-promoting complex by proteins of the CDC20/Fizzy family. Curr Biol. 1998;8:1207-10 pubmed..The temporally distinct association of hCDC20 and hCDH1 with APC suggests that these proteins are, respectively, mitosis-specific and G1-specific activating subunits of APC. ..
- Matt U, Sharif O, Martins R, Furtner T, Langeberg L, Gawish R, et al. WAVE1 mediates suppression of phagocytosis by phospholipid-derived DAMPs. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:3014-24 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data uncover an unanticipated role for WAVE1 as a critical modulator of the innate immune response to severe bacterial infections. ..
- Ribitsch D, Hromic A, Zitzenbacher S, Zartl B, Gamerith C, Pellis A, et al. Small cause, large effect: Structural characterization of cutinases from Thermobifida cellulosilytica. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2481-2488 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2481-2488. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Sobczak I, Galabova Kovacs G, Sadzak I, Kren A, Christofori G, Baccarini M. B-Raf is required for ERK activation and tumor progression in a mouse model of pancreatic beta-cell carcinogenesis. Oncogene. 2008;27:4779-87 pubmed publisher..The progression from adenoma to carcinoma is also significantly impaired. Thus, endogenous B-Raf contributes to the development of RIP1Tag2 tumors by supporting the stromal response and tumor progression. ..
- Kastl S, Speidl W, Kaun C, Rega G, Assadian A, Weiss T, et al. The complement component C5a induces the expression of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in human macrophages via NF-kappaB activation. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:1790-7 pubmed..On the other hand one could speculate that C5a-induced upregulation of PAI-1 in plaque macrophages could act as a defense mechanism against plaque destabilization and rupture. ..
- Sutterlüty H, Mayer C, Setinek U, Attems J, Ovtcharov S, Mikula M, et al. Down-regulation of Sprouty2 in non-small cell lung cancer contributes to tumor malignancy via extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway-dependent and -independent mechanisms. Mol Cancer Res. 2007;5:509-20 pubmed..Our results suggest that Spry2 plays a role as tumor suppressor in NSCLC by antagonizing receptor tyrosine kinase-induced signaling at different levels, indicating feasibility for the usage of Spry in targeted gene therapy of NSCLC. ..
- Djamei A, Pitzschke A, Nakagami H, Rajh I, Hirt H. Trojan horse strategy in Agrobacterium transformation: abusing MAPK defense signaling. Science. 2007;318:453-6 pubmed
- Nakkharat P, Haltrich D. Lactose hydrolysis and formation of galactooligosaccharides by a novel immobilized beta-galactosidase from the thermophilic fungus Talaromyces thermophilus. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2006;129-132:215-25 pubmed..Hence, this immobilized enzyme can be useful both for the cleavage of lactose at elevated temperatures, and the formation of GalOS, prebiotic sugars that have a number of interesting properties for food applications...
- Baccarini M. Second nature: biological functions of the Raf-1 "kinase". FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3271-7 pubmed..Do they still hold surprises? Recent gene targeting studies indicate that they do. This review focuses on the regulation and biology of the best-studied Raf isoform, Raf-1, in the context of its kinase-independent functions. ..
- Koprulu A, Kastner R, Wienerroither S, Lassnig C, Putz E, Majer O, et al. The tyrosine kinase Btk regulates the macrophage response to Listeria monocytogenes infection. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60476 pubmed publisher..This correlated with elevated IFN-? and IL-12p70 serum levels in Btk (-/-) mice at day 1 after infection. Taken together, our data suggest an important regulatory role for Btk in macrophages during Lm infection. ..
- Kubicek M, Pacher M, Abraham D, Podar K, Eulitz M, Baccarini M. Dephosphorylation of Ser-259 regulates Raf-1 membrane association. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7913-9 pubmed
- Jechlinger M, Sommer A, Moriggl R, Seither P, Kraut N, Capodiecci P, et al. Autocrine PDGFR signaling promotes mammary cancer metastasis. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1561-70 pubmed..Thus, autocrine PDGFR signaling plays an essential role during cancer progression, suggesting a novel application of STI571 to therapeutically interfere with metastasis. ..
- Qiao R, Weissmann F, Yamaguchi M, Brown N, VanderLinden R, Imre R, et al. Mechanism of APC/CCDC20 activation by mitotic phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2570-8 pubmed publisher..These results reveal how APC/C phosphorylation enables CDC20 to bind and activate the APC/C in mitosis. ..
- Sonderegger S, Haslinger P, Sabri A, Leisser C, Otten J, Fiala C, et al. Wingless (Wnt)-3A induces trophoblast migration and matrix metalloproteinase-2 secretion through canonical Wnt signaling and protein kinase B/AKT activation. Endocrinology. 2010;151:211-20 pubmed publisher..The two signaling cascades act independently in trophoblasts; however, both pathways promote Wnt-dependent migration and the release of matrix metalloproteinase-2, which has been identified as novel Wnt target in invasive trophoblasts. ..
- Finsterbusch M, Khare V, Campregher C, Evstatiev R, Gasche C. An intracytoplasmic IL-10 receptor variant permits rapid reduction in STAT3 activation. Genes Immun. 2011;12:575-81 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that IL10R1-G330R does not alter surface expression but duration of STAT phosphorylation, indicating that the position of G330 is important in stabilizing the STAT signal. ..
- Geetha N, Mihaly J, Stockenhuber A, Blasi F, Uhrin P, Binder B, et al. Signal integration and coincidence detection in the mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) cascade: concomitant activation of receptor tyrosine kinases and of LRP-1 leads to sustained ERK phosphorylation via down. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25663-74 pubmed publisher..In addition, the findings provide an explanation of why chronic elevation of LRP-1 ligands (e.g. PAI-1) can predispose to cancer. ..
- Hombauer H, Weismann D, Mudrak I, Stanzel C, Fellner T, Lackner D, et al. Generation of active protein phosphatase 2A is coupled to holoenzyme assembly. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e155 pubmed..We propose a novel model of PP2A biogenesis in which a tightly controlled activation cascade protects cells from untargeted activity of the free catalytic PP2A subunit. ..
- Stuhlmeier K. Apis mellifera venom and melittin block neither NF-kappa B-p50-DNA interactions nor the activation of NF-kappa B, instead they activate the transcription of proinflammatory genes and the release of reactive oxygen intermediates. J Immunol. 2007;179:655-64 pubmed..Taken together, data presented in this work do not corroborate an earlier report regarding the effectiveness of BV as an inhibitor of the transcription factor NF-kappaB. ..
- Heinl S, Hartinger D, Thamhesl M, Vekiru E, Krska R, Schatzmayr G, et al. Degradation of fumonisin B1 by the consecutive action of two bacterial enzymes. J Biotechnol. 2010;145:120-9 pubmed publisher..g. in ensilaged forage or in the intestinal tract of animals...
- Knapp D, Bhoite L, Stillman D, Nasmyth K. The transcription factor Swi5 regulates expression of the cyclin kinase inhibitor p40SIC1. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5701-7 pubmed..This transcriptional control may be important for inactivation of the Clb/Cdk1 kinase in G2/M transition and during the subsequent G1 period. ..
- Kral J, Kuttke M, Schrottmaier W, Birnecker B, Warszawska J, Wernig C, et al. Sustained PI3K Activation exacerbates BLM-induced Lung Fibrosis via activation of pro-inflammatory and pro-fibrotic pathways. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23034 pubmed publisher..This might point to an uncontrolled wound healing response in which the inflammatory as well as tissue repair mechanisms proceed in parallel, thereby preventing resolution and at the same time promoting extensive fibrosis. ..
- Gruber Olipitz M, Strobel T, Chen W, Grotzer M, Quehenberger F, Slavc I, et al. Synthesis, chaperoning, and metabolism of proteins are regulated by NT-3/TrkC signaling in the medulloblastoma cell line DAOY. J Proteome Res. 2008;7:1932-44 pubmed publisher..Protein levels of translational, splicing, processing, chaperone, protein handling, and metabolism machineries were shown to depend on neurotrophin-3-induced TrkC activation probably representing pharmacological targets. ..
- Prieschl E, Csonga R, Novotny V, Kikuchi G, Baumruker T. Glycosphingolipid-induced relocation of Lyn and Syk into detergent-resistant membranes results in mast cell activation. J Immunol. 2000;164:5389-97 pubmed..In this respect, the effects of galactosylsphingosine are clearly distinct from the signaling elicited by other sphingolipids without the sugar moiety, such as sphingosine-1-phosphate...
- Zwerina J, Tzima S, Hayer S, Redlich K, Hoffmann O, Hanslik Schnabel B, et al. Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) regulates osteoclastogenesis and bone resorption. FASEB J. 2005;19:2011-3 pubmed..In summary, these data indicate that HO-1 negatively regulates osteoclastogenesis, leading to a positive net balance of bone. ..
- Billich A, Urtz N, Reuschel R, Baumruker T. Sphingosine kinase 1 is essential for proteinase-activated receptor-1 signalling in epithelial and endothelial cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2009;41:1547-55 pubmed publisher..We propose SPHK1 inhibition as a novel way to block PAR-1 mediated signalling, which could be useful in treatment of a number of diseases, in particular in atherosclerosis. ..
- Singer C, Hudelist G, Lamm W, Mueller R, Handl C, Kubista E, et al. Active (p)CrkL is overexpressed in human malignancies: potential role as a surrogate parameter for therapeutic tyrosine kinase inhibition. Oncol Rep. 2006;15:353-9 pubmed..We further suggest that pCrkL might serve as a potential surrogate parameter for the efficacy of therapeutic TK inhibition. ..
- Haubner B, Adamowicz Brice M, Khadayate S, Tiefenthaler V, Metzler B, Aitman T, et al. Complete cardiac regeneration in a mouse model of myocardial infarction. Aging (Albany NY). 2012;4:966-77 pubmed..This novel model system provides the unique opportunity to uncover molecular and cellular pathways that can induce cardiac regeneration after ischemic injury, findings that one day could be translated to human heart attack patients. ..
- Maurer G, Tarkowski B, Baccarini M. Raf kinases in cancer-roles and therapeutic opportunities. Oncogene. 2011;30:3477-88 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the role of BRAF and CRAF in different aspects of carcinogenesis, on the success of molecular therapies targeting Raf and the challenges they present. ..