Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on breast neoplasms in Vienna, Austria
Locale: Vienna, Austria
Topic: breast neoplasms
Publications105 found, 100 shown here
- Hudelist G, Köstler W, Attems J, Czerwenka K, Muller R, Manavi M, et al. Her-2/neu-triggered intracellular tyrosine kinase activation: in vivo relevance of ligand-independent activation mechanisms and impact upon the efficacy of trastuzumab-based treatment. Br J Cancer. 2003;89:983-91 pubmed..The influence of Her-2/neu activation status upon the outcome of trastuzumab-based therapies merits further investigation in larger prospective trials. ..
- Hudelist G, Singer C, Pischinger K, Kaserer K, Manavi M, Kubista E, et al. Proteomic analysis in human breast cancer: identification of a characteristic protein expression profile of malignant breast epithelium. Proteomics. 2006;6:1989-2002 pubmed..This strategy leads to a better understanding of oncogenesis at an operational level and helps to characterize the malignant phenotype of individual tumors, and thereby to identify novel targets for antineoplastic therapy. ..
- Grunt T, Tomek K, Wagner R, Puckmair K, Zielinski C. The DNA-binding epidermal growth factor-receptor inhibitor PD153035 and other DNA-intercalating cytotoxic drugs reactivate the expression of the retinoic acid receptor-beta tumor-suppressor gene in breast cancer cells. Differentiation. 2007;75:883-90 pubmed..These data further support the notion that induction of the RAR-beta tumor-suppressor gene in cancer cells by PD153035 is mediated at least in part by its DNA intercalating activity. ..
- Offterdinger M, Schneider S, Grunt T. Heregulin and retinoids synergistically induce branching morphogenesis of breast cancer cells cultivated in 3D collagen gels. J Cell Physiol. 2003;195:260-75 pubmed..Our data demonstrate cooperative signaling of c-erbB and retinoid receptor pathways at the levels of morphogenesis and immunophenotypic differentiation. ..
- Arnold T, Michlmayr A, Baumann S, Burghuber C, Pluschnig U, Bartsch R, et al. Plasma HMGB-1 after the initial dose of epirubicin/docetaxel in cancer. Eur J Clin Invest. 2013;43:286-91 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that early dynamic changes of plasma HMGB1 could be a promising biomarker to predict the final response to NCT in breast cancer patients. ..
- Schoppmann S, Fenzl A, Schindl M, Bachleitner Hofmann T, Nagy K, Gnant M, et al. Hypoxia inducible factor-1alpha correlates with VEGF-C expression and lymphangiogenesis in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006;99:135-41 pubmed
- Berghoff A, Lassmann H, Preusser M, Hoftberger R. Characterization of the inflammatory response to solid cancer metastases in the human brain. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2013;30:69-81 pubmed publisher..Treatment strategies aimed at activating specific immunity may potentiate immune attack on tumor cells. ..
- Tea M, Grimm C, Fink Retter A, Bikas D, Kroiss R, Kubista E, et al. The validity of complex breast cysts after surgery. Am J Surg. 2009;197:199-202 pubmed publisher..6-fold higher risk of malignancy (P <.0001). Based on our results we reinforce the importance of adequate assessment of complex breast cysts to prevent a missed or delayed diagnosis of malignancy. ..
- Pfeiler G, Stoger H, Dubsky P, Mlineritsch B, Singer C, Balic M, et al. Efficacy of tamoxifen ± aminoglutethimide in normal weight and overweight postmenopausal patients with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: an analysis of 1509 patients of the ABCSG-06 trial. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:1408-14 pubmed publisher..67; Cox P=0·03) and a worse OS (1.47; Cox P=0·11) compared with normal weight patients. BMI impacts on the efficacy of aromatase inhibitor-based treatment but not single tamoxifen. ..
- Singer C, Hudelist G, Walter I, Rueckliniger E, Czerwenka K, Kubista E, et al. Tissue array-based expression of transglutaminase-2 in human breast and ovarian cancer. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2006;23:33-9 pubmed
- Rögelsperger O, Ekmekcioglu C, Jager W, Klimpfinger M, Konigsberg R, Krenbek D, et al. Coexpression of the melatonin receptor 1 and nestin in human breast cancer specimens. J Pineal Res. 2009;46:422-32 pubmed publisher..Abundant expression of MT1 and, particularly, coexpression of MT1 with nestin in invading tumor cells in more advanced tumors suggest an important role for this GPCR in the pathogenesis of breast cancer. ..
- Peterlongo P, Chang Claude J, Moysich K, Rudolph A, Schmutzler R, Simard J, et al. Candidate genetic modifiers for breast and ovarian cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015;24:308-16 pubmed publisher..Genome-wide association studies have been more successful at identifying genetic modifiers of BRCA1/2 penetrance than candidate gene studies. ..
- Silvestri V, Barrowdale D, Mulligan A, Neuhausen S, Fox S, Karlan B, et al. Male breast cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: pathology data from the Consortium of Investigators of Modifiers of BRCA1/2. Breast Cancer Res. 2016;18:15 pubmed publisher..e., high histologic grade). These findings could lead to the development of gender-specific risk prediction models and guide clinical strategies appropriate for MBC management. ..
- Michlmayr A, Bachleitner Hofmann T, Baumann S, Marchetti Deschmann M, Rech Weichselbraun I, Burghuber C, et al. Modulation of plasma complement by the initial dose of epirubicin/docetaxel therapy in breast cancer and its predictive value. Br J Cancer. 2010;103:1201-8 pubmed publisher..As complement C3 cleavage correlates with the efficacy of docetaxel/epirubicin-based chemotherapy, it has the potential as an easily accessible predictive biomarker. ..
- Bartsch R, Wenzel C, Altorjai G, Pluschnig U, Mader R, Gnant M, et al. Her2 and progesterone receptor status are not predictive of response to fulvestrant treatment. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:4435-9 pubmed..Therefore, it seems to inhibit the cross-talk between growth factor receptor signaling and estrogen receptor in a more effective manner. ..
- Steger G, Galid A, Gnant M, Mlineritsch B, Lang A, Tausch C, et al. Pathologic complete response with six compared with three cycles of neoadjuvant epirubicin plus docetaxel and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in operable breast cancer: results of ABCSG-14. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:2012-8 pubmed..Thus, six cycles of ED+G should be the standard neoadjuvant treatment for operable breast cancer if this combination is chosen. ..
- Rebbeck T, Mitra N, Wan F, Healey S, McGuffog L, Chenevix Trench G, et al. Association of type and location of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations with risk of breast and ovarian cancer. JAMA. 2015;313:1347-61 pubmed publisher..With appropriate validation, these data may have implications for risk assessment and cancer prevention decision making for carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations. ..
- Bartsch R, Wenzel C, Pluschnig U, Hussian D, Sevelda U, Altorjai G, et al. Prognostic value of monitoring tumour markers CA 15-3 and CEA during fulvestrant treatment. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:81 pubmed..Overall, both CA 15-3 and CEA appear to be poor prognostic markers for determining progression in patients receiving fulvestrant. ..
- Taucher S, Rudas M, Mader R, Gnant M, Dubsky P, Bachleitner T, et al. Do we need HER-2/neu testing for all patients with primary breast carcinoma?. Cancer. 2003;98:2547-53 pubmed..Therefore, the assessment of HER-2/neu status in this subgroup of patients with breast carcinoma may be considered unnecessary, unless the role of HER-2/neu status in adjuvant treatment has been proven. ..
- Schramek D, Sigl V, Penninger J. RANKL and RANK in sex hormone-induced breast cancer and breast cancer metastasis. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2011;22:188-94 pubmed publisher..Here we critically review these data with special attention on mammary cancer development. ..
- Taucher S, Rudas M, Mader R, Gnant M, Dubsky P, Roka S, et al. Prognostic markers in breast cancer: the reliability of HER2/neu status in core needle biopsy of 325 patients with primary breast cancer. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2004;116:26-31 pubmed..Notwithstanding, in order to minimize the number of false-positive results, strongly positive core needle biopsies identified using immunohistochemistry should be confirmed by FISH analysis. ..
- Bartsch R, Rottenfusser A, Wenzel C, Dieckmann K, Pluschnig U, Altorjai G, et al. Trastuzumab prolongs overall survival in patients with brain metastases from Her2 positive breast cancer. J Neurooncol. 2007;85:311-7 pubmed..Concerning activity of trastuzumab in brain metastases themselves, no final conclusion is possible. ..
- Bartsch R, De Vries C, Pluschnig U, Dubsky P, Bago Horvath Z, Gampenrieder S, et al. Predicting for activity of second-line trastuzumab-based therapy in her2-positive advanced breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:367 pubmed publisher..None of the variables investigated correlated with activity of second-line therapy. In order to predict for activity of second-line trastuzumab, it appears necessary to evaluate factors known to confer trastuzumab-resistance. ..
- Schoppmann S, Tamandl D, Roberts L, Jomrich G, Schoppmann A, Zwrtek R, et al. HER2/neu expression correlates with vascular endothelial growth factor-C and lymphangiogenesis in lymph node-positive breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2010;21:955-60 pubmed publisher..Inhibiting HER2/neu may reduce tumor progression by blocking VEGF-C-mediated tumor cell proliferation and lymphogenic metastasis. ..
- Gruber S, Minarikova L, Pinker K, Zaric O, Chmelik M, Strasser B, et al. Diffusion-weighted imaging of breast tumours at 3Â Tesla and 7Â Tesla: a comparison. Eur Radiol. 2016;26:1466-73 pubmed publisher..4-fold higher resolution in breast DWI than 3 T â€¢ 7 T DWI has a high diagnostic accuracy comparable to that at 3 T â€¢ At 7 T malignant lesions had 22 % lower ADC than at 3 T (pâ€‰<â€‰0.001). ..
- Gnant M, Dubsky P, Fitzal F, Blaha P, Schoppmann S, Steger G, et al. Maintaining bone density in patients undergoing treatment for breast cancer: is there an adjuvant benefit?. Clin Breast Cancer. 2009;9 Suppl 1:S18-27 pubmed publisher..Results from ongoing studies are expected to further elucidate the benefits of bisphosphonates in maintaining bone health and improving clinical outcomes in patients with breast cancer. ..
- Bentz E, Pils D, Bilban M, Kaufmann U, Hefler L, Reinthaller A, et al. Gene expression signatures of breast tissue before and after cross-sex hormone therapy in female-to-male transsexuals. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:2688-96 pubmed publisher..Cross-sex HT in FtM transsexuals leads to the up-regulation and down-regulation of 243 and 2,007 distinct genes, respectively, and is associated with breast cancer-related gene expression signatures. ..
- Dittrich C, Solska E, Manikhas A, Eniu A, Tjulandin S, Anghel R, et al. A phase II multicenter study of two different dosages of pemetrexed given in combination with cyclophosphamide as first-line treatment in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Invest. 2012;30:309-16 pubmed publisher..8%; 95% CI: 21.0-44.6) and 26 (42.6%) had stable disease. Median progression-free survival was 6.3 months (range: 0.3-31.1). P1800 plus cyclophosphamide 600 represents a regimen of reasonable efficacy and acceptable tolerability. ..
- Lechner D, Weltermann A. Chemotherapy-induced thrombosis: a role for microparticles and tissue factor?. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2008;34:199-203 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the roles of tissue factor and microparticles with regard to chemotherapy-induced hypercoagulability. ..
- Pfeiler G, Königsberg R, Fesl C, Mlineritsch B, Stoeger H, Singer C, et al. Impact of body mass index on the efficacy of endocrine therapy in premenopausal patients with breast cancer: an analysis of the prospective ABCSG-12 trial. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:2653-9 pubmed publisher..BMI significantly impacts on the efficacy of anastrozole plus goserelin in premenopausal patients with breast cancer, probably through influencing aromatase availability and/or ovarian suppression by goserelin. ..
- Nguyen C, Senfter D, Basílio J, Holzner S, Stadler S, Krieger S, et al. NF-ÎºB contributes to MMP1 expression in breast cancer spheroids causing paracrine PAR1 activation and disintegrations in the lymph endothelial barrier in vitro. Oncotarget. 2015;6:39262-75 pubmed publisher..Hence, inflamed tumour tissue and/or vasculature pose an additional threat to cancer progression. ..
- Grunt T, Tomek K, Wagner R, Puckmair K, Kainz B, Rünzler D, et al. Upregulation of retinoic acid receptor-beta by the epidermal growth factor-receptor inhibitor PD153035 is not mediated by blockade of ErbB pathways. J Cell Physiol. 2007;211:803-15 pubmed..This report highlights a triple action for an ErbB-1 inhibitor (ErbB-1 inhibition, DNA intercalation, retinoic acid receptor-beta-induction). Such multitargeting drugs bear great potential for cancer treatment. ..
- Wiedermann U, Davis A, Zielinski C. Vaccination for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer with special focus on Her-2/neu peptide vaccines. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;138:1-12 pubmed publisher..Attention will be given to their advantages and limitations, as well as the use of certain adjuvants to improve anti-cancer responses. ..
- Schindl M, Gnant M, Schoppmann S, Horvat R, Birner P. Overexpression of the human homologue for Caenorhabditis elegans cul-4 gene is associated with poor outcome in node-negative breast cancer. Anticancer Res. 2007;27:949-52 pubmed..04 and p = 0.029, respectively; Cox regression) compared to all other cases. Our data provide evidence for the first time that CUL-4 could play an important role in the development and progression of human cancer. ..
- Tempfer C, Froese G, Heinze G, Bentz E, Hefler L, Huber J. Side effects of phytoestrogens: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Am J Med. 2009;122:939-46.e9 pubmed publisher..Rates of vaginal bleeding, endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial cancer, and breast cancer were not significantly increased among phytoestrogen users in the investigated studies. ..
- Zagouri F, Bago Horvath Z, Rössler F, Brandstetter A, Bartsch R, Papadimitriou C, et al. High MET expression is an adverse prognostic factor in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:1100-5 pubmed publisher..43; 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.65-7.12; P=0.001) and death (adjusted HR for death 3.74; 95% CI 1.65-8.46; P=0.002). These results provide further evidence that the MET pathway could be exploited as a target for TNBC. ..
- Bartsch R, Wenzel C, Hussian D, Pluschnig U, Sevelda U, Koestler W, et al. Analysis of trastuzumab and chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer after the failure of at least one earlier combination: an observational study. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:63 pubmed..The fact that TTP did not decrease significantly from first line to beyond second line treatment is especially noteworthy. Still, randomized trials are warranted. ..
- Muellner M, Duernberger G, Ganglberger F, Kerzendorfer C, Uras I, Schoenegger A, et al. TOPS: a versatile software tool for statistical analysis and visualization of combinatorial gene-gene and gene-drug interaction screens. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15:98 pubmed publisher..TOPS is freely available for academic and non-academic users and is released as open source. ..
- Grunt T, Puckmair K, Tomek K, Kainz B, Gaiger A. An EGF receptor inhibitor induces RAR-beta expression in breast and ovarian cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;329:1253-9 pubmed..These novel results on the ErbB/retinoid receptor cross-talk may be useful for designing future anticancer combination regimens. ..
- Miksits M, Wlcek K, Svoboda M, Thalhammer T, Ellinger I, Stefanzl G, et al. Expression of sulfotransferases and sulfatases in human breast cancer: impact on resveratrol metabolism. Cancer Lett. 2010;289:237-45 pubmed publisher..Our data elucidate the metabolism of resveratrol in malignant and non-malignant breast tissue, which must be considered in humans after oral uptake of dietary resveratrol as a chemopreventive agent. ..
- Kotsopoulos J, Huzarski T, Gronwald J, Moller P, Lynch H, Neuhausen S, et al. Hormone replacement therapy after menopause and risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 mutation carriers: a case-control study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016;155:365-73 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that a short course of HRT should not be contra-indicated for BRCA1 mutation carriers who have undergone menopause and who have no personal history of cancer. ..
- Hudelist G, Czerwenka K, Kubista E, Marton E, Pischinger K, Singer C. Expression of sex steroid receptors and their co-factors in normal and malignant breast tissue: AIB1 is a carcinoma-specific co-activator. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003;78:193-204 pubmed
- Lachmann M, Gelbmann D, Kalman E, Polgar B, Buschle M, von Gabain A, et al. PIBF (progesterone induced blocking factor) is overexpressed in highly proliferating cells and associated with the centrosome. Int J Cancer. 2004;112:51-60 pubmed
- Indik S, Gunzburg W, Salmons B, Rouault F. Mouse mammary tumor virus infects human cells. Cancer Res. 2005;65:6651-9 pubmed..Thus, MMTV can infect human cells and this finding provides a possible explanation for the detection by others of MMTV sequences in human breast cancer patients...
- Paulus P, Stanley E, Schäfer R, Abraham D, Aharinejad S. Colony-stimulating factor-1 antibody reverses chemoresistance in human MCF-7 breast cancer xenografts. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4349-56 pubmed..These studies support the paradigm of CSF-1 blockade in the treatment of solid tumors and show that anti-CSF-1 antibodies are potential therapeutic agents for the treatment of mammary cancer. ..
- Wiedermann U, Wiltschke C, Jasinska J, Kundi M, Zurbriggen R, Garner Spitzer E, et al. A virosomal formulated Her-2/neu multi-peptide vaccine induces Her-2/neu-specific immune responses in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a phase I study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:673-83 pubmed..The induction of anti-Her-2-specific antibodies could result in clinical benefit comparable to passive anti-Her-2 antibody therapy. ..
- Preusser M, Plumer S, Dirnberger E, Hainfellner J, Mannhalter C. Fixation of brain tumor biopsy specimens with RCL2 results in well-preserved histomorphology, immunohistochemistry and nucleic acids. Brain Pathol. 2010;20:1010-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, RCL2 fixation of brain tumor biopsies does not seem to significantly compromise histological tumor typing or immunohistochemistry and preserves nucleic acids (DNA and RNA) at a better quality than formalin fixation. ..
- Tong D, Heinze G, Pils D, Wolf A, Singer C, Concin N, et al. Gene expression of PMP22 is an independent prognostic factor for disease-free and overall survival in breast cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:682 pubmed publisher..Including it into a model with established prognostic factors will increase the accuracy of prognosis. ..
- Funovics M, Philipp M, Lackner B, Fuchsjaeger M, Funovics P, Metz V. Galactography: method of choice in pathologic nipple discharge?. Eur Radiol. 2003;13:94-9 pubmed..In the present series, the colour of the secretions does not add significant information about underlying pathology. ..
- Gebeshuber C, Martinez J. miR-100 suppresses IGF2 and inhibits breast tumorigenesis by interfering with proliferation and survival signaling. Oncogene. 2013;32:3306-10 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal miR-100 as a context-dependent master regulator of the IGF/mTOR pathway and a potential target for therapeutic approaches. ..
- Gnant M, Pfeiler G, Stoger H, Mlineritsch B, Fitzal F, Balic M, et al. The predictive impact of body mass index on the efficacy of extended adjuvant endocrine treatment with anastrozole in postmenopausal patients with breast cancer: an analysis of the randomised ABCSG-6a trial. Br J Cancer. 2013;109:589-96 pubmed publisher..07). Body mass index may be used to predict outcome benefit of extended AI treatment in patients with receptor-positive breast cancer. ..
- Blanco I, Kuchenbaecker K, Cuadras D, Wang X, Barrowdale D, de Garibay G, et al. Assessing associations between the AURKA-HMMR-TPX2-TUBG1 functional module and breast cancer risk in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120020 pubmed publisher..Together, the results of this study support the hypothesis of a causative link between altered function of AURKA-HMMR-TPX2-TUBG1 and breast carcinogenesis in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. ..
- Gschwantler Kaulich D, Tan Y, Fuchs E, Hudelist G, KÃ¶stler W, Reiner A, et al. PTEN expression as a predictor for the response to trastuzumab-based therapy in Her-2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172911 pubmed publisher..018), while there was no significant correlation with PFS or OS. In Her-2-positive metastatic breast cancers, PTEN positivity was significantly associated with progressive disease, but not with PFS or OS. ..
- Kral M, Klimek C, Kutay B, Timelthaler G, Lendl T, Neuditschko B, et al. Covalent dimerization of interleukin-like epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) inducer (ILEI) facilitates EMT, invasion, and late aspects of metastasis. FEBS J. 2017;284:3484-3505 pubmed publisher..These data show that covalent ILEI self-assembly is essential for EMT induction, elevated tumor growth, and metastasis. ..
- Wagner T, Hirtenlehner K, Shen P, Moeslinger R, Muhr D, Fleischmann E, et al. Global sequence diversity of BRCA2: analysis of 71 breast cancer families and 95 control individuals of worldwide populations. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:413-23 pubmed..Our data indicate that, in BRCA2, simple sequence variation is frequent [in the coding region 1 in 194 bp (straight theta = 2.2 x 10(-4)), and in the non-coding region 1 in 108 bp (straight theta = 4.4 x 10(-4)), respectively]. ..
- Mullauer L, Mosberger I, Grusch M, Rudas M, Chott A. Fas ligand is expressed in normal breast epithelial cells and is frequently up-regulated in breast cancer. J Pathol. 2000;190:20-30 pubmed..These results suggest that increased expression of FasL may confer an advantage on breast cancer cells, possibly by eliminating tumour-infiltrating immune cells, and/or by facilitating tissue destruction during invasion. ..
- Concin N, Zeillinger C, Tong D, Stimpfl M, König M, Printz D, et al. Comparison of p53 mutational status with mRNA and protein expression in a panel of 24 human breast carcinoma cell lines. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003;79:37-46 pubmed..Therefore, direct DNA analyses and functional assays remain the only methods for the reliable detection of p53 mutations. ..
- Hefler L, Tempfer C, Grimm C, Lebrecht A, Ulbrich E, Heinze G, et al. Estrogen-metabolizing gene polymorphisms in the assessment of breast carcinoma risk and fibroadenoma risk in Caucasian women. Cancer. 2004;101:264-9 pubmed..Although the authors were not able to develop interaction models involving SNPs, they did provide evidence that CYP1A1 is a low-penetrance susceptibility gene with respect to breast carcinoma in a large series of Caucasian women. ..
- Hudelist G, Pacher Zavisin M, Singer C, Holper T, Kubista E, Schreiber M, et al. Use of high-throughput protein array for profiling of differentially expressed proteins in normal and malignant breast tissue. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004;86:281-91 pubmed..We hypothesize that the use of protein arrays will not only increase our understanding of the molecular events, but could prove useful in evaluating prognosis and in determining optimal antineoplastic therapy. ..
- Strauss Blasche G, Gnad E, Ekmekcioglu C, Hladschik B, Marktl W. Combined inpatient rehabilitation and spa therapy for breast cancer patients: effects on quality of life and CA 15-3. Cancer Nurs. 2005;28:390-8 pubmed..Hot mud packs inducing hyperthermia did not affect CA 15-3. In conclusion, the combination of inpatient rehabilitation with spa therapy provides a promising approach for breast cancer rehabilitation. ..
- Jechlinger M, Sommer A, Moriggl R, Seither P, Kraut N, Capodiecci P, et al. Autocrine PDGFR signaling promotes mammary cancer metastasis. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1561-70 pubmed..Thus, autocrine PDGFR signaling plays an essential role during cancer progression, suggesting a novel application of STI571 to therapeutically interfere with metastasis. ..
- Heffeter P, Jakupec M, Korner W, Chiba P, Pirker C, Dornetshuber R, et al. Multidrug-resistant cancer cells are preferential targets of the new antineoplastic lanthanum compound KP772 (FFC24). Biochem Pharmacol. 2007;73:1873-86 pubmed
- Hudelist G, Wülfing P, Kersting C, Burger H, Mattsson B, Czerwenka K, et al. Expression of aromatase and estrogen sulfotransferase in preinvasive and invasive breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008;134:67-73 pubmed
- Indik S, Gunzburg W, Kulich P, Salmons B, Rouault F. Rapid spread of mouse mammary tumor virus in cultured human breast cells. Retrovirology. 2007;4:73 pubmed..One of the main drawbacks to this model, however, was that until now human cells had not been demonstrated to sustain productive MMTV infection...
- Tong D, Heinze G, Schremmer M, Schuster E, Czerwenka K, Leodolter S, et al. Expression of the human MTA1 gene in breast cell lines and in breast cancer tissues. Oncol Res. 2007;16:465-70 pubmed..It also correlated positively with expression of noninvasive factors and reverse correlated with invasive factors in both cell lines and tumor tissues. ..
- Gnant M, Mlineritsch B, Luschin Ebengreuth G, Kainberger F, Kässmann H, Piswanger Sölkner J, et al. Adjuvant endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: 5-year follow-up of the ABCSG-12 bone-mineral density substudy. Lancet Oncol. 2008;9:840-9 pubmed publisher..The aim of this substudy is to gain insight into bone health in this setting...
- Gebeshuber C, Zatloukal K, Martinez J. miR-29a suppresses tristetraprolin, which is a regulator of epithelial polarity and metastasis. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:400-5 pubmed publisher..Previously, miR-29 family members were shown to have tumour-suppressive effects in haematopoietic, cholangiocytic and lung tumours. Therefore, miRNAs can act as either oncogenes or tumour suppressors, depending on the context. ..
- Grimm C, Kantelhardt E, Heinze G, Polterauer S, Zeillinger R, Kolbl H, et al. The prognostic value of four interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms in Caucasian women with breast cancer: a multicenter study. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:78 pubmed publisher..Carriage of the mutant alleles of IL1RN was independently associated with shortened disease free and overall survival rates in Caucasian patients with breast cancer. ..
- Dressler A, Hudelist G, Fink Retter A, Gschwantler Kaulich D, Pfeiler G, Rosner M, et al. Tuberin and p27 expression in breast cancer patients with or without BRCA germline mutations. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2013;139:1349-55 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that tuberin and p27 are aberrantly expressed in malignant tissue, but their expression does not appear to be dependent on the BRCA mutation state of a breast cancer patient. ..
- Leitner L, JÃ¼rets A, Itariu B, Keck M, Prager G, Langer F, et al. Osteopontin promotes aromatase expression and estradiol production in human adipocytes. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015;154:63-9 pubmed publisher..Thereby, obesity-induced OPN expression in AT may contribute to estradiol production and thus to the association of obesity with estrogen-dependent cancers. ..
- Nguyen C, Huttary N, Atanasov A, Chatuphonprasert W, Brenner S, Fristiohady A, et al. Fenofibrate inhibits tumour intravasation by several independent mechanisms in a 3-dimensional co-culture model. Int J Oncol. 2017;50:1879-1888 pubmed publisher..A combination with other FDA-approved drugs further improved this effect. Our new concept may lead to a novel therapy for cancer patients. ..
- Zielinski C, Budinsky A, Wagner T, Wolfram R, Kostler W, Kubista M, et al. Defect of tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) production and TNF-alpha-induced ICAM-1-expression in BRCA1 mutations carriers. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003;81:99-105 pubmed..We conclude that the presence of germline mutations of BRCA1 was associated with a selective deficiency in spontaneous and LPS-induced production of TNF-alpha and of TNF-alpha-induced ICAM-1 expression on peripheral blood monocytes. ..
- Singer C, Mogg M, Koestler W, Pacher M, Marton E, Kubista E, et al. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-II serum concentrations in patients with benign and malignant breast lesions: free IGF-II is correlated with breast cancer size. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:4003-9 pubmed..However, women with breast lesions have decreased IGF-II concentrations, and free IGF-II levels are clearly correlated to the size of a breast cancer, indicating an involvement in tumor growth. ..
- Eger A, Aigner K, Sonderegger S, Dampier B, Oehler S, Schreiber M, et al. DeltaEF1 is a transcriptional repressor of E-cadherin and regulates epithelial plasticity in breast cancer cells. Oncogene. 2005;24:2375-85 pubmed..RNA interference-mediated downregulation of deltaEF1 in cancer cells was sufficient to derepress E-cadherin expression and restore cell to cell adhesion, suggesting that deltaEF1 is a key player in late stage carcinogenesis. ..
- Aigner K, Dampier B, Descovich L, Mikula M, Sultan A, Schreiber M, et al. The transcription factor ZEB1 (deltaEF1) promotes tumour cell dedifferentiation by repressing master regulators of epithelial polarity. Oncogene. 2007;26:6979-88 pubmed..In invasive ductal and lobular breast cancer, upregulation of ZEB1 was stringently coupled to cancer cell dedifferentiation. Our data show that ZEB1 represents a key player in pathologic EMTs associated with tumour progression. ..
- Fink Retter A, Gschwantler Kaulich D, Hudelist G, Mueller R, Kubista E, Czerwenka K, et al. Differential spatial expression and activation pattern of EGFR and HER2 in human breast cancer. Oncol Rep. 2007;18:299-304 pubmed..Our findings of decreased intratumoral EGFR expression and the absence of activated EGFR suggests that, in contrast to HER2, EGFR inhibition might not be an ideal target for antibody therapy. ..
- Wesierska Gadek J, Gueorguieva M, Kramer M, Ranftler C, Sarg B, Lindner H. A new, unexpected action of olomoucine, a CDK inhibitor, on normal human cells: up-regulation of CLIMP-63, a cytoskeleton-linking membrane protein. J Cell Biochem. 2007;102:1405-19 pubmed..These results were subsequently confirmed by immunoblotting. Further experiments revealed that OLO, but not ROSC, strongly up-regulates CLIMP-63 in a dose- and time-dependent manner solely in senescent cells. ..
- Hudelist G, Wagner T, Rosner M, Fink Retter A, Gschwantler Kaulich D, Czerwenka K, et al. Intratumoral IGF-I protein expression is selectively upregulated in breast cancer patients with BRCA1/2 mutations. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2007;14:1053-62 pubmed
- Bartsch R, Ziebermayr R, Zielinski C, Steger G. Triple-negative breast cancer. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2010;160:174-81 pubmed publisher..For the first time, this approach offers the chance of highly active, specific therapy for triple-negative disease...
- Maschler S, Gebeshuber C, Wiedemann E, Alacakaptan M, Schreiber M, Custic I, et al. Annexin A1 attenuates EMT and metastatic potential in breast cancer. EMBO Mol Med. 2010;2:401-14 pubmed publisher..AnxA1 knockdown stimulated multiple signalling pathways but only Tyk2/Stat3 and Erk1/2 signalling were essential for EMT. ..
- Tea M, Grimm C, Heinz Peer G, Delancey J, Singer C. The predictive value of suspicious sonographic characteristics in atypical cyst-like breast lesions. Breast. 2011;20:165-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast, atypical breast cysts do harbour a risk of malignancy. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the predictive value of sonographic findings that are considered characteristic of malignant atypical cyst-like lesions...
- Seelinger M, Popescu R, Giessrigl B, Jarukamjorn K, Unger C, Wallnöfer B, et al. Methanol extract of the ethnopharmaceutical remedy Smilax spinosa exhibits anti-neoplastic activity. Int J Oncol. 2012;41:1164-72 pubmed publisher..Based on our data Smilax spinosa may be a promising source for novel anticancer agents...
- Proestling K, Hebar A, Pruckner N, Marton E, Vinatzer U, Schreiber M. The Pro allele of the p53 codon 72 polymorphism is associated with decreased intratumoral expression of BAX and p21, and increased breast cancer risk. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47325 pubmed publisher..The Arg72Pro genotype has no significant effects in patients with TP53 mutated tumors, in which p53 is non-functional. ..
- Woitek R, Spick C, Schernthaner M, Rudas M, Kapetas P, Bernathova M, et al. A simple classification system (the Tree flowchart) for breast MRI can reduce the number of unnecessary biopsies in MRI-only lesions. Eur Radiol. 2017;27:3799-3809 pubmed publisher..The Tree flowchart predicts 30.6% of malignancies with >98% specificity. â€¢ The Tree's high specificity aids in decision-making after benign biopsy results. ..
- Schiller Fruehwirth I, Jahn B, Einzinger P, Zauner G, Urach C, Siebert U. The Long-Term Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of Organized versus Opportunistic Screening for Breast Cancer in Austria. Value Health. 2017;20:1048-1057 pubmed publisher..The attendance rate, but not the test accuracy of mammography, was an influential factor for the cost-effectiveness. The decision to adopt organized screening is likely an efficient use of limited health care resources in Austria. ..
- Wesierska Gadek J, Gritsch D, Zulehner N, Komina O, Maurer M. Interference with ER-? enhances the therapeutic efficacy of the selective CDK inhibitor roscovitine towards ER-positive breast cancer cells. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:1103-17 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that ROSC negatively affects the functional status of ER-?, making it potentially useful in the treatment of estrogen-dependent breast cancer cells. ..