Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Vienna, Austria
Locale: Vienna, Austria
Publications1097 found, 100 shown here
- Koeck A, Heringstad B, Egger Danner C, Fuerst C, Fuerst Waltl B. Comparison of different models for genetic analysis of clinical mastitis in Austrian Fleckvieh dual-purpose cows. J Dairy Sci. 2010;93:4351-8 pubmed publisher..In contrast to expectations, sire models had the same predictive ability as animal models. Linear models were found to be robust toward departures from normality and performed equally well as threshold models. ..
- Schmid D, Stolzlechner M, Sorgner A, Bentele C, Assinger A, Chiba P, et al. An abundant, truncated human sulfonylurea receptor 1 splice variant has prodiabetic properties and impairs sulfonylurea action. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:129-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, SUR1?2 represents an endogenous K(ATP)-channel modulator with prodiabetic properties in islet cells. Its predominance in heart may explain why high-affinity sulfonylurea receptors are not found in human cardiac tissue...
- Schneckenleithner C, Bago Horvath Z, Dolznig H, Neugebauer N, Kollmann K, Kolbe T, et al. Putting the brakes on mammary tumorigenesis: loss of STAT1 predisposes to intraepithelial neoplasias. Oncotarget. 2011;2:1043-54 pubmed..Furthermore, they define the loss of STAT1 as a predisposing event via enhanced MIN formation. ..
- Mader A, Prewein B, Zboray K, Casanova E, Kunert R. Exploration of BAC versus plasmid expression vectors in recombinant CHO cells. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013;97:4049-54 pubmed publisher..This study indicated comparable increase of transcription level for both scFc proteins when using the BAC system, but translation, maturation, and secretion of individual proteins seem to be protein specific...
- Homem C, Reichardt I, Berger C, Lendl T, Knoblich J. Long-term live cell imaging and automated 4D analysis of drosophila neuroblast lineages. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79588 pubmed publisher..As defects in type II neuroblast lineages can result in brain tumor formation, our lineage analysis method will allow more detailed and quantitative analysis of tumorigenesis and asymmetric cell division in the Drosophila brain. ..
- Szabo S, WÃ¶genstein K, Fuchs P. Functional and Genetic Analysis of Epiplakin in Epithelial Cells. Methods Enzymol. 2016;569:261-85 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe some of the methods we used to analyze epiplakin's function with the focus on biochemical and ex vivo techniques. ..
- Czerny T, Bouchard M, Kozmik Z, Busslinger M. The characterization of novel Pax genes of the sea urchin and Drosophila reveal an ancient evolutionary origin of the Pax2/5/8 subfamily. Mech Dev. 1997;67:179-92 pubmed..During Drosophila embryogenesis, the Pax258 gene is shown to be expressed in the precursor cells of the external sensory organs, thus suggesting a role for Pax258 in the early development of the peripheral nervous system of insects...
- Mishima M, Kaitna S, Glotzer M. Central spindle assembly and cytokinesis require a kinesin-like protein/RhoGAP complex with microtubule bundling activity. Dev Cell. 2002;2:41-54 pubmed..Biochemical studies indicate that this complex, named centralspindlin, is a heterotetramer. Centralspindlin, but not its individual components, strongly promotes microtubule bundling in vitro. ..
- Hanada R, Leibbrandt A, Hanada T, Kitaoka S, Furuyashiki T, Fujihara H, et al. Central control of fever and female body temperature by RANKL/RANK. Nature. 2009;462:505-9 pubmed publisher..These data identify an entirely novel and unexpected function for the key osteoclast differentiation factors RANKL/RANK in female thermoregulation and the central fever response in inflammation. ..
- Joa H, Vogl S, Atanasov A, Zehl M, Nakel T, Fakhrudin N, et al. Identification of ostruthin from Peucedanum ostruthium rhizomes as an inhibitor of vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation. J Nat Prod. 2011;74:1513-6 pubmed publisher..In summary, a new bioactivity of P. ostruthium rhizomes is described, and 7 has been identified as the responsible compound. ..
- Sonnleitner E, Romeo A, Blasi U. Small regulatory RNAs in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. RNA Biol. 2012;9:364-71 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the current knowledge on the regulation and function of P. aeruginosa sRNAs that titrate regulatory proteins, base-pair with target mRNAs, and which are derived from CRISPR elements. ..
- Fuehrer H, Baumann T, Riedl J, Treiber M, Igel P, Swoboda P, et al. Endoparasites of rodents from the Chittagong Hill Tracts in Southeastern Bangladesh. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2012;124 Suppl 3:27-30 pubmed publisher..n = 2) and Trichuris sp. (n = 1)-and acanthocephalans (Moniliformis moniliformis; n = 2). Several of the examined parasites are of zoonotic importance via direct or indirect transmission (e.g. C. hepatica) and may affect humans...
- Ameres S, Zamore P. Diversifying microRNA sequence and function. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2013;14:475-88 pubmed publisher..Rigorously testing the many discrepant models for how miRNAs function using quantitative biochemical measurements made in vivo and in vitro remains a major challenge for the future. ..
- Monzote L, García M, Pastor J, Gil L, Scull R, Maes L, et al. Essential oil from Chenopodium ambrosioides and main components: activity against Leishmania, their mitochondria and other microorganisms. Exp Parasitol. 2014;136:20-6 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the potentialities of EO in cellular and molecular system, which could be consider in future studies to develop new antileishmanial drugs with a wide anti-parasitic spectrum. ..
- Patel V, Mori J, McLean B, Basu R, Das S, Ramprasath T, et al. ACE2 Deficiency Worsens Epicardial Adipose Tissue Inflammation and Cardiac Dysfunction in Response to Diet-Induced Obesity. Diabetes. 2016;65:85-95 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ACE2 plays a novel role in heart disease associated with obesity wherein ACE2 negatively regulates obesity-induced EAT inflammation and cardiac insulin resistance. ..
- Wolf T, Sreevatsan S, Singer R, Lipende I, Collins A, Gillespie T, et al. Noninvasive Tuberculosis Screening in Free-Living Primate Populations in Gombe National Park, Tanzania. Ecohealth. 2016;13:139-44 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the feasibility of large-scale mycobacterial screening in wild primates. ..
- Grigoriadis A, Wang Z, Cecchini M, Hofstetter W, Felix R, Fleisch H, et al. c-Fos: a key regulator of osteoclast-macrophage lineage determination and bone remodeling. Science. 1994;266:443-8 pubmed..These results identify Fos as a key regulator of osteoclast-macrophage lineage determination in vivo and provide insights into the molecular mechanisms underlying metabolic bone diseases. ..
- Kühholzer B, Muller S, Besenfelder U, Prokofiev M, Ernst L, Brem G. Laparoscopic recovery of pronuclear-stage goat embryos. Vet Rec. 1998;142:40-2 pubmed..All the embryos recovered within this period were at the pronuclear stage whereas 28 per cent of those recovered one to six hours later were at the two- or four-cell stage. ..
- Schlotterer C, Harr B. Drosophila virilis has long and highly polymorphic microsatellites. Mol Biol Evol. 2000;17:1641-6 pubmed..7 repeats vs. 12.2 repeats). Characterization of 11 microsatellite loci mapping to division 40-49 on the fourth chromosome of D. virilis indicated that D. virilis microsatellites are more variable than those of D. melanogaster. ..
- Sun Y, Kanekar S, Vetter M, Gorski S, Jan Y, Glaser T, et al. Conserved and divergent functions of Drosophila atonal, amphibian, and mammalian Ath5 genes. Evol Dev. 2003;5:532-41 pubmed..These observations suggest that the atonaI family may occupy a position in a gene hierarchy where differences in gene regulation or function can be correlated with evolutionary diversity of eye development. ..
- Schreiner M, Hulan H, Razzazi Fazeli E, Bohm J, Iben C. Feeding laying hens seal blubber oil: effects on egg yolk incorporation, stereospecific distribution of omega-3 fatty acids, and sensory aspects. Poult Sci. 2004;83:462-73 pubmed..1) the sensory properties of the eggs. The procedures elaborated herein provide directly applicable consequences for the food industry. ..
- Reimers M, Schwarzenberger F, Preuschoft S. Rehabilitation of research chimpanzees: stress and coping after long-term isolation. Horm Behav. 2007;51:428-35 pubmed..Our results indicate that chimpanzees can recover from severe social deprivation, and may experience resocialization as less stressful than solitary housing. ..
- Schonewille E, Singh A, Göbel T, Gerner W, Saalmuller A, Hess M. Fowl adenovirus (FAdV) serotype 4 causes depletion of B and T cells in lymphoid organs in specific pathogen-free chickens following experimental infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2008;121:130-9 pubmed..The effects are much more severe in the birds infected with the virulent virus only indicating that the preceding infection with the attenuated virus reduces significantly the adverse effects induced by the virulent virus...
- Köhsler M, Leitsch D, Fürnkranz U, Duchene M, Aspöck H, Walochnik J. Acanthamoeba strains lose their abilities to encyst synchronously upon prolonged axenic culture. Parasitol Res. 2008;102:1069-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results indicate that losses in encystment potential occur shortly after transfer into axenic culture to remain constant over many years...
- Ndumu D, Baumung R, Hanotte O, Wurzinger M, Okeyo M, Jianlin H, et al. Genetic and morphological characterisation of the Ankole Longhorn cattle in the African Great Lakes region. Genet Sel Evol. 2008;40:467-90 pubmed publisher..Both analyses on distance-based and model-based methods consistently isolated the Mugamba sub-population in Burundi from the others. ..
- Bradl M, Lassmann H. Oligodendrocytes: biology and pathology. Acta Neuropathol. 2010;119:37-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, we will lay out the different pathways leading to oligodendrocyte and myelin loss in human CNS diseases, and we will reveal the different principles leading to the restoration of myelin sheaths or to a failure to do so. ..
- Bender T, Bohm M, Kratochwill K, Lederhuber H, Endemann M, Bidmon B, et al. HSP-mediated cytoprotection of mesothelial cells in experimental acute peritoneal dialysis. Perit Dial Int. 2010;30:294-9 pubmed publisher..PDS with added glutamine might represent a promising therapeutic approach against low biocompatibility of PDS but needs validation in a chronic PD model. ..
- Schwarz J, Kählig H, Matsko N, Kratzel M, Husa M, Valenta C. Decrease of liposomal size and retarding effect on fluconazole skin permeation by lysine derivatives. J Pharm Sci. 2011;100:2911-9 pubmed publisher..This was confirmed by cryo-transmission electron microscopy. The addition of Lys-5 and Lys-7 induced a structural change resulting in a decrease in particle size between 10% and 40% and a retarding effect on fluconazole skin permeation...
- Hartl B, Hainisch E, Shafti Keramat S, Kirnbauer R, Corteggio A, Borzacchiello G, et al. Inoculation of young horses with bovine papillomavirus type 1 virions leads to early infection of PBMCs prior to pseudo-sarcoid formation. J Gen Virol. 2011;92:2437-2445 pubmed publisher..Together with previous findings obtained in horses and cows, these data suggest that papillomavirus infection may include a viraemic phase. ..
- Kirschner A, Rameder A, Schrammel B, Indra A, Farnleitner A, Sommer R. Development of a new CARD-FISH protocol for quantification of Legionella pneumophila and its application in two hospital cooling towers. J Appl Microbiol. 2012;112:1244-56 pubmed publisher..Our aim was thus to develop a new FISH protocol for rapid and specific detection of Leg. pneumophila in water samples...
- Hooijberg E, Leidinger E, Freeman K. An error management system in a veterinary clinical laboratory. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2012;24:458-68 pubmed publisher..Sigma metrics ranged from 4.1 to 4.7. All data were comparable to that reported in human clinical laboratories. The incremental annual reduction of error shows that use of an error management system led to quality improvement. ..
- Fuerst Waltl B, Fuerst C. Effect of inbreeding depression on survival of Austrian Brown Swiss calves and heifers. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:6086-92 pubmed publisher..Inbreeding significantly affected all traits unfavorably. In the full rearing period (P4), heifer calves with an inbreeding coefficient of 0.10 had a 4.9% higher mortality rate than heifer calves with no inbreeding. ..
- Gotesman M, Soliman H, El Matbouli M. Antibody screening identifies 78 putative host proteins involved in Cyprinid herpesvirus 3 infection or propagation in common carp, Cyprinus carpio L. J Fish Dis. 2013;36:721-33 pubmed publisher..A total of 78 host proteins and five CyHV-3 proteins were identified in the two analyses. These data can be used to develop novel control methods for CyHV-3, based on pathways or proteins identified in this study. ..
- Weissenbock H, Bakonyi T, Rossi G, Mani P, Nowotny N. Usutu virus, Italy, 1996. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:274-7 pubmed publisher..Partial sequencing confirmed identity with the 2001 Vienna strain and provided evidence for a much earlier introduction of this virus into Europe than previously assumed...
- Ravignani A, Westphal Fitch G, Aust U, Schlumpp M, Fitch W. More than one way to see it: Individual heuristics in avian visual computation. Cognition. 2015;143:13-24 pubmed publisher..These findings, and our general approach, have implications for the design of future pattern learning experiments, and the interpretation of comparative cognition research more generally. ..
- Sykora S, Jindra C, Hofer M, Steinborn R, Brandt S. Equine papillomavirus type 2: An equine equivalent to human papillomavirus 16?. Vet J. 2017;225:3-8 pubmed publisher..The majority of samples contained more E6 than E2 DNA, with E6:E2 ratios ranging between 0.88 and 4.12. Although not statistically significant (P>0.05), this finding suggests that EcPV2 can integrate into the equine host cell genome. ..
- Perl A, Dahl U, Wilgenbus P, Cremer H, Semb H, Christofori G. Reduced expression of neural cell adhesion molecule induces metastatic dissemination of pancreatic beta tumor cells. Nat Med. 1999;5:286-91 pubmed..The results indicate that the loss of NCAM-mediated cell adhesion is one rate-limiting step in the actual metastatic dissemination of beta tumor cells. ..
- Gruber R, Kandler B, Fuerst G, Fischer M, Watzek G. Porcine sinus mucosa holds cells that respond to bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-6 and BMP-7 with increased osteogenic differentiation in vitro. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2004;15:575-80 pubmed..We conclude that the sinus mucosa holds mesenchymal progenitor cells and cells committed to the osteogenic lineage that can respond to BMP-6 and BMP-7 by an increase of their osteogenic differentiation. ..
- Hassl A, Benyr G. Hygienic evaluation of terraria inhabited by amphibians and reptiles: cryptosporidia, free-living amebas, salmonella. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2003;115 Suppl 3:68-71 pubmed..Despite the perceived benefits of keeping exotic animals in a household, the general public and especially those who have an immunodeficiency must be made aware of the danger of infectious diseases possibly being spread by their pets...
- Mandl C. Flavivirus immunization with capsid-deletion mutants: basics, benefits, and barriers. Viral Immunol. 2004;17:461-72 pubmed..Capsid-deletion mutants can be used to rationally design safe and effective vaccine strains or to create new vaccines that combine advantages of genetic vaccination, conventional inactivated, and live vaccines. ..
- Hofmann J, Grundler F. Females and males of root-parasitic cyst nematodes induce different symplasmic connections between their syncytial feeding cells and the phloem in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2006;44:430-3 pubmed
- Kolarich D, Loos A, Leonard R, Mach L, Marzban G, Hemmer W, et al. A proteomic study of the major allergens from yellow jacket venoms. Proteomics. 2007;7:1615-23 pubmed..vulgaris, germanica, maculifrons, pensylvanica, flavopilosa and squamosa revealed the latter as a taxonomic outlier and led to the discovery of several not previously reported amino acid differences. ..
- Meister T, Lussy H, Bakonyi T, Sikutová S, Rudolf I, Vogl W, et al. Serological evidence of continuing high Usutu virus (Flaviviridae) activity and establishment of herd immunity in wild birds in Austria. Vet Microbiol. 2008;127:237-48 pubmed..Herd immunity is a possible explanation for the significant decrease in USUV-associated bird mortalities in Austria during the recent years. ..
- Jin C, Altmann F, Strasser R, Mach L, Schähs M, Kunert R, et al. A plant-derived human monoclonal antibody induces an anti-carbohydrate immune response in rabbits. Glycobiology. 2008;18:235-41 pubmed publisher..This emphasizes the need for the use of glyco-engineered plants lacking any potentially antigenic N-glycan structures for the production of plant-derived recombinant proteins intended for parenteral human application. ..
- Schuller E, Jilma B, Voicu V, Golor G, Kollaritsch H, Kaltenböck A, et al. Long-term immunogenicity of the new Vero cell-derived, inactivated Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine IC51 Six and 12 month results of a multicenter follow-up phase 3 study. Vaccine. 2008;26:4382-6 pubmed publisher..At 12 months, the SCR was 83% and the GMT (41) remained above the protective titer of 1:10. Most people immunized with IC51 will have protective neutralizing antibody levels for at least a year. ..
- Zarrabi T, Cervenka R, Sandtner W, Lukacs P, Koenig X, Hilber K, et al. A molecular switch between the outer and the inner vestibules of the voltage-gated Na+ channel. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:39458-70 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these functional data define the position of the selectivity filter relative to the adjacent DIV-S6 segment within the ionic permeation pathway. ..
- Pabst M, Grass J, Fischl R, Leonard R, Jin C, Hinterkörner G, et al. Nucleotide and nucleotide sugar analysis by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry on surface-conditioned porous graphitic carbon. Anal Chem. 2010;82:9782-8 pubmed publisher..Due to the unique structural selectivity of graphitic carbon, the method described herein distinguishes more nucleotides and nucleotide sugars than previously reported approaches. ..
- Gruber A, Fallmann J, Kratochvill F, Kovarik P, Hofacker I. AREsite: a database for the comprehensive investigation of AU-rich elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:D66-9 pubmed publisher..The database is publicly available at: http://rna.tbi.univie.ac.at/AREsite. ..
- Schaschl H, Suchentrunk F, Morris D, Ben Slimen H, Smith S, Arnold W. Sex-specific selection for MHC variability in Alpine chamois. BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:20 pubmed publisher..This scenario renders the MHC-mediated immune response more important for males than for females, which implies a relatively stronger selection pressure on MHC genes in males than in females. ..
- Gruber Schoffnegger D, Drdla Schutting R, Hönigsperger C, Wunderbaldinger G, Gassner M, Sandkühler J. Induction of thermal hyperalgesia and synaptic long-term potentiation in the spinal cord lamina I by TNF-? and IL-1? is mediated by glial cells. J Neurosci. 2013;33:6540-51 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel, decisive role of spinal glial cells for the synaptic effects of IL-1? and TNF-? and for some forms of hyperalgesia...
- Roetzer A, Haller G, Beyerly J, Geier C, Wolf H, Gruener C, et al. Genotypic and phenotypic analysis of clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus revealed production patterns and hemolytic potentials unlinked to gene profiles and source. BMC Microbiol. 2016;16:13 pubmed publisher..However, identification of spa typing clusters was suitable to predict similar quantities of released exotoxins. ..
- Lemmermeyer T, Lamp B, Schneider R, Ziebuhr J, Tekes G, Thiel H. Characterization of monoclonal antibodies against feline coronavirus accessory protein 7b. Vet Microbiol. 2016;184:11-9 pubmed publisher..We speculate that glycosylation of 7b is part of the viral evasion strategy to prevent an immune response against this antigenic site. ..
- GÃ¼ntÃ¼rkÃ¼n O, Bugnyar T. Cognition without Cortex. Trends Cogn Sci. 2016;20:291-303 pubmed publisher..During the long parallel evolution of mammals and birds, several neural mechanisms for cognition and complex behaviors may have converged despite an overall forebrain organization that is otherwise vastly different. ..
- Sarker S, Menanteau Ledouble S, Kotob M, El Matbouli M. A RNAi-based therapeutic proof of concept targets salmonid whirling disease in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178687 pubmed publisher..We also observed long-term RNAi in T. tubifex. Together these results demonstrate a novel RNAi-based therapeutic proof of concept in vivo against salmonid whirling disease. ..
- Shanmugasundaram B, Aher Y, Aradska J, Ilić M, Daba Feyissa D, Kalaba P, et al. R-Modafinil exerts weak effects on spatial memory acquisition and dentate gyrus synaptic plasticity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179675 pubmed publisher..D1R may play an important regulatory role in these processes. ..
- Nanobashvili J, Neumayer C, Fuegl A, Blumer R, Prager M, Sporn E, et al. Development of 'no-reflow' phenomenon in ischemia/reperfusion injury: failure of active vasomotility and not simply passive vasoconstriction. Eur Surg Res. 2003;35:417-24 pubmed..Affections of active vasomotility and not merely passive changes of external pressure (i.e., interstitial edema formation) should be considered important in the development of microvascular constriction during 'no-reflow' phenomenon. ..
- Kolodziejek J, Durrwald R, Herzog S, Ehrensperger F, Lussy H, Nowotny N. Genetic clustering of Borna disease virus natural animal isolates, laboratory and vaccine strains strongly reflects their regional geographical origin. J Gen Virol. 2005;86:385-98 pubmed..All field and laboratory strains, as well as the vaccine strain, clearly segregated from the recently described and highly divergent BDV strain No/98, which originated from an area in Austria where Borna disease is not endemic. ..
- Mayer B, Emery G, Berdnik D, Wirtz Peitz F, Knoblich J. Quantitative analysis of protein dynamics during asymmetric cell division. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1847-54 pubmed..We propose that a high-affinity binding site is asymmetrically distributed by aPKC and Lgl and is responsible for asymmetric localization of cell-fate determinants during mitosis. ..
- Handl C, Bouchet P. Mystery tubes coiled around deep-water tropical gorgonians: fecampiid cocoons (Platyhelminthes: Fecampiida) resembling Solenogastres (Mollusca). Syst Parasitol. 2007;67:81-5 pubmed..These objects proved to be cocoons with egg capsules, each containing two eggs or young larvae, typical of the parasitic platyhelminth group Fecampiida. ..
- Hess M, Liebhart D, Grabensteiner E, Singh A. Cloned Histomonas meleagridis passaged in vitro resulted in reduced pathogenicity and is capable of protecting turkeys from histomonosis. Vaccine. 2008;26:4187-93 pubmed publisher..For the first time vaccination of turkeys is reported to induce a solid protection against a severe challenge, both based on a clonal culture of Histomonas meleagridis. ..
- Hohensinner P, Kaun C, Rychli K, Niessner A, Pfaffenberger S, Rega G, et al. The inflammatory mediator oncostatin M induces stromal derived factor-1 in human adult cardiac cells. FASEB J. 2009;23:774-82 pubmed publisher..Our data, showing that OSM induces SDF-1 protein secretion in human cardiac cells in vitro and murine hearts in vivo, suggest that OSM via the induction of SDF-1 might play a key role in repair and tissue regeneration. ..
- Novak R, Shlaes D. The pleuromutilin antibiotics: a new class for human use. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2010;11:182-91 pubmed..In this review, the key properties of pleuromutilin derivatives, designed primarily through modifications at the C(14) side chain, are presented, and the potential of these compounds in systemic therapy in humans is discussed. ..
- Thaler R, Agsten M, Spitzer S, Paschalis E, Karlic H, Klaushofer K, et al. Homocysteine suppresses the expression of the collagen cross-linker lysyl oxidase involving IL-6, Fli1, and epigenetic DNA methylation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:5578-88 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, IL-6 stimulation results via JAK2, Fli1, and Dnmt1 in down-regulation of Lox expression by epigenetic CpG methylation revealing a new mechanism negatively affecting bone matrix formation. ..
- Auersperg A, Huber L, Gajdon G. Navigating a tool end in a specific direction: stick-tool use in kea (Nestor notabilis). Biol Lett. 2011;7:825-8 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that the same animals can thereafter direct the functional end of a stick-tool into a desired direction, aiming at a positive option while avoiding a negative one. ..
- Tretter V, Kerschner B, Milenkovic I, Ramsden S, Ramerstorfer J, Saiepour L, et al. Molecular basis of the Î³-aminobutyric acid A receptor Î±3 subunit interaction with the clustering protein gephyrin. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:37702-11 pubmed publisher..3 Î¼m and 0.2 Î¼m, respectively. Taken together, these observations suggest that clustering of GABA(A)R Î±2, Î±3, and GlyRs by gephyrin is mediated by distinct mechanisms at mixed glycinergic/GABAergic synapses. ..
- Krenn H, Aspöck H. Form, function and evolution of the mouthparts of blood-feeding Arthropoda. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2012;41:101-18 pubmed publisher..Representatives of one taxon of Acari liquefy skin tissue by enzymatic action. During feeding, many blood-feeding arthropods inadvertently transmit pathogens, which mostly are transported through the discharged saliva into the host. ..
- Sukseree S, Mildner M, Rossiter H, Pammer J, Zhang C, Watanapokasin R, et al. Autophagy in the thymic epithelium is dispensable for the development of self-tolerance in a novel mouse model. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38933 pubmed publisher..In summary, the results of this study suggest that autophagy in the thymic epithelium is dispensable for negative selection of autoreactive T cells...
- Hobaus J, Thiem U, Hummel D, Kállay E. Role of calcium, vitamin D, and the extrarenal vitamin D hydroxylases in carcinogenesis. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2013;13:20-35 pubmed..The present review describes the role of the vitamin D hydroxylases in cancer pathogenesis and the cross-talk between the extra-renal autocrine/paracrine vitamin D system and calcium in cancer prevention. ..
- Beckelmann J, Budik S, Helmreich M, Palm F, Walter I, Aurich C. Sex-dependent insulin like growth factor-1 expression in preattachment equine embryos. Theriogenology. 2013;79:193-9 pubmed publisher..6 ± 0.3, female 11.6 ± 2.4). Results demonstrate an increased expression of IGF-1 in female equine embryos. Sex-related influences on expression of the IGF system are probably related to a gradual X chromosome inactivation. ..
- Sadovnik I, Hoelbl Kovacic A, Herrmann H, Eisenwort G, Cerny Reiterer S, Warsch W, et al. Identification of CD25 as STAT5-Dependent Growth Regulator of Leukemic Stem Cells in Ph+ CML. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:2051-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, CD25 serves as a growth regulator of CML LSCs, which may have biologic and clinical implications and may pave the way for the development of new more effective LSC-eradicating treatment strategies in CML. ..
- Todt H, Zojer N, Raberger G. Kinetics of rate-dependent slowing of intraventricular conduction by the class Ib antiarrhythmic agent tocainide in vivo. Br J Pharmacol. 1993;110:145-50 pubmed..The kinetic parameters obtained in vivo can be used in order to predict steady state reductions in conduction velocity at a wide range of frequencies...
- Schreiber M, Poirier C, Franchi A, Kurzbauer R, Guenet J, Carle G, et al. Structure and chromosomal assignment of the mouse fra-1 gene, and its exclusion as a candidate gene for oc (osteosclerosis). Oncogene. 1997;15:1171-8 pubmed..The segregation of fra-1 in two different crosses of mice carrying oc and an allelism test between oc and a targeted disruption of fra-1 demonstrate that fra-1 and oc are two distinct genes rather than oc being a mutant allele of fra-1...
- Wagner R, Wendlberger U. Field efficacy of moxidectin in dogs and rabbits naturally infested with Sarcoptes spp., Demodex spp. and Psoroptes spp. mites. Vet Parasitol. 2000;93:149-58 pubmed..Side effects seem to occur more frequently if applied subcutaneously, therefore the oral route should be preferred. ..
- Koehsler M, Walochnik J, Michel R, Lugauer J, Wylezich C. Molecular identification and classification of Cochlonema euryblastum, a zoopagalean parasite of Thecamoeba quadrilineata. Mycologia. 2007;99:215-21 pubmed..Thus, the addition of C. euryblastum to the zoopagalean tree further confirms the finding that molecular data do not support the traditional classification of the Zoopageles. ..
- Buchinger B, Spitzer S, Karlic H, Klaushofer K, Varga F. Lysyl oxidase (LOX) mRNA expression and genes of the differentiated osteoblastic phenotype are upregulated in human osteosarcoma cells by suramin. Cancer Lett. 2008;265:45-54 pubmed publisher..TA was attenuated in the human cells while in UMR-106 it was not changed. In UMR-106 suramin had no influence on osteocalcin and LOX expression, in the human cells however, both genes were upregulated. ..
- Samadi L, Steiner G. Expression of Hox genes during the larval development of the snail, Gibbula varia (L.)-further evidence of non-colinearity in molluscs. Dev Genes Evol. 2010;220:161-72 pubmed publisher..Therefore, expression of Hox genes may serve as an example of co-option and plasticity of gene function during evolution of gastropods. ..
- Schneeweiss G, Schönswetter P. A re-appraisal of nunatak survival in arctic-alpine phylogeography. Mol Ecol. 2011;20:190-2 pubmed
- Frenzel E, Doll V, Pauthner M, Lücking G, Scherer S, Ehling Schulz M. CodY orchestrates the expression of virulence determinants in emetic Bacillus cereus by impacting key regulatory circuits. Mol Microbiol. 2012;85:67-88 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that CodY profoundly modulates the virulence of B. cereus, possibly controlling the development of pathogenic traits in suitable host environments...
- Harr B, Schlotterer C. Long microsatellite alleles in Drosophila melanogaster have a downward mutation bias and short persistence times, which cause their genome-wide underrepresentation. Genetics. 2000;155:1213-20 pubmed..We propose that species-specific, size-dependent mutation spectra of microsatellite alleles may provide a general mechanism to account for the observed differences in microsatellite length between species. ..
- Wagner S, Jasinska J, Breiteneder H, Kundi M, Pehamberger H, Scheiner O, et al. Delayed tumor onset and reduced tumor growth progression after immunization with a Her-2/neu multi-peptide vaccine and IL-12 in c-neu transgenic mice. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007;106:29-38 pubmed..Our findings clearly demonstrate that this multi-peptide vaccine is effective in tumor prevention and support its use against minimal disease, drug-resistant tumors or even for prophylaxis against cancers overexpressing Her-2/neu. ..
- Hofer E, Schweighofer B. Signal transduction induced in endothelial cells by growth factor receptors involved in angiogenesis. Thromb Haemost. 2007;97:355-63 pubmed..Furthermore, the potential cross-talk with signals induced by other growth factors and inflammatory cytokines as well as the modulation by VE-cadherin is discussed. ..
- Untersmayr E, Jensen Jarolim E. The role of protein digestibility and antacids on food allergy outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121:1301-8; quiz 1309-10 pubmed publisher..Thus antiulcer agents impeding gastric protein digestion have a major effect on the sensitization and effector phase of food allergy. ..
- Walochnik J, Wylezich C, Michel R. The genus Sappinia: history, phylogeny and medical relevance. Exp Parasitol. 2010;126:4-13 pubmed publisher..In 2001, Gelman and colleagues reported a case of severe encephalitis in a non-immunocompromised young man caused by Sappinia. ..