Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Salzburg, Austria
Locale: Salzburg, Austria
Publications160 found, 100 shown here
- Wallner M, Erler A, Hauser M, Klinglmayr E, Gadermaier G, Vogel L, et al. Immunologic characterization of isoforms of Car b 1 and Que a 1, the major hornbeam and oak pollen allergens. Allergy. 2009;64:452-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, rCar b 1 and rQue a 1 allergens should be considered for improving molecule-based diagnosis and therapy of tree pollen allergies manifesting in birch-free areas. ..
- Dullnig V, Weiss R, Amon S, Rizzi A, Stutz H. Confirmation of immuno-reactivity of the recombinant major birch pollen allergen Bet v 1a by affinity-CIEF. Electrophoresis. 2009;30:2337-46 pubmed publisher..Contrary to traditional immunoassays, affinity CIEF allows for a distinction and relative quantification of mAbs, Ag-antibody complexes and Ag variants coexisting in one sample. ..
- Bach D, Weiss R, Hessenberger M, Kitzmueller S, Weinberger E, Krautgartner W, et al. Transcutaneous immunotherapy via laser-generated micropores efficiently alleviates allergic asthma in Phl p 5-sensitized mice. Allergy. 2012;67:1365-74 pubmed publisher..Immunotherapy via laser-microporated skin combines a painless application route with the high efficacy known from subcutaneous injections and therefore represents a promising alternative to established forms of immunotherapy. ..
- Hofbauer S, Krenn P, Ganghammer S, Asslaber D, Pichler U, Oberascher K, et al. Tiam1/Rac1 signals contribute to the proliferation and chemoresistance, but not motility, of chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells. Blood. 2014;123:2181-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest a dynamic regulation of Rac1 function in the CLL microenvironment. Rac inhibition could be of clinical use by selectively interfering with CLL cell proliferation and chemoresistance. ..
- Tortik N, Steinbacher P, Maisch T, Spaeth A, Plaetzer K. A comparative study on the antibacterial photodynamic efficiency of a curcumin derivative and a formulation on a porcine skin model. Photochem Photobiol Sci. 2016;15:187-95 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the applicability of SACUR-3-based PDI in dermatology, hand hygiene and food production. ..
- Strandt H, Pinheiro D, Kaplan D, Wirth D, GRATZ I, Hammerl P, et al. Neoantigen Expression in Steady-State Langerhans Cells Induces CTL Tolerance. J Immunol. 2017;199:1626-1634 pubmed publisher..Thus, neoantigen presentation by epidermal LCs results in either robust CTL tolerance or CTL memory, and this decision-making depends on the activation state of the presenting LCs. ..
- Poleev A, Fickenscher H, Mundlos S, Winterpacht A, Zabel B, Fidler A, et al. PAX8, a human paired box gene: isolation and expression in developing thyroid, kidney and Wilms' tumors. Development. 1992;116:611-23 pubmed..This restricted expression pattern suggests a specific role for both genes during glomeruli maturation.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Traweger A, Fang D, Liu Y, Stelzhammer W, Krizbai I, Fresser F, et al. The tight junction-specific protein occludin is a functional target of the E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase itch. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10201-8 pubmed..In addition, we provide evidence that Itch is specifically involved in the ubiquitination of occludin in vivo, and that the degradation of occludin is sensitive to proteasome inhibition. ..
- Gimona M, Vandekerckhove J, Goethals M, Herzog M, Lando Z, Small J. Beta-actin specific monoclonal antibody. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1994;27:108-16 pubmed..The characteristics of the antibody indicate that it should serve as a useful tool for studying isoactin distribution and function. ..
- Krylyshkina O, Kaverina I, Kranewitter W, Steffen W, Alonso M, Cross R, et al. Modulation of substrate adhesion dynamics via microtubule targeting requires kinesin-1. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:349-59 pubmed..We conclude that conventional kinesin is not required for the guidance of microtubules into substrate adhesions, but is required for the focal delivery of a component(s) that retards their growth or promotes their disassembly. ..
- Witzel K, Von Rahden B, Kaminski C, Stein H. Transoral access for endoscopic thyroid resection. Surg Endosc. 2008;22:1871-5 pubmed..The results may be helpful for thyroid resections in humans using a similar access, as suggested by the thyroidectomies in human cadavers preceding this study. ..
- Rauch I, Kofler B. The galanin system in cancer. EXS. 2010;102:223-41 pubmed..Therefore, galanin and its receptors are promising targets for diagnosis and treatment of several types of tumours. ..
- Ettinger M, Peckl Schmid D, Gruber C, Laimer M, Thalhamer J, Hintner H, et al. Transcutaneous gene gun delivery of hNC16A Induces BPAG2-specific tolerance. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:1665-71 pubmed publisher..This is of relevance to patients undergoing gene therapy and has broader implications for the treatment of antigen-specific autoimmune diseases. ..
- Betz V, Betz O, Rosin T, Keller A, Thirion C, Salomon M, et al. The effect of BMP-7 gene activated muscle tissue implants on the repair of large segmental bone defects. Injury. 2015;46:2351-8 pubmed publisher..However, further development of this promising expedited treatment modality is required to improve the healing rate and to investigate if the high infection rate is related to treatment with BMP-7 activated muscle grafts. ..
- Kuchler K, Kreil G, Sures I. The genes for the frog skin peptides GLa, xenopsin, levitide and caerulein contain a homologous export exon encoding a signal sequence and part of an amphiphilic peptide. Eur J Biochem. 1989;179:281-5 pubmed..1987) Eur. J. Biochem. 169, 53-58] also contain a similar exon. This demonstrates the existence of a homologous export exon in genes encoding the precursors of different skin peptides. ..
- Wechselberger C, Puglisi R, Engel E, Lepperdinger G, Boitani C, Kreil G. The mammalian homologues of frog Bv8 are mainly expressed in spermatocytes. FEBS Lett. 1999;462:177-81 pubmed..The mouse Bv8 gene is most active in mid-late pachytene spermatocytes. In mouse testes, Bv8 mRNA can first be detected at the end of the second week post partum. ..
- Kaser A, Bogengruber E, Hallegger M, Doppler E, Lepperdinger G, Jantsch M, et al. Brix from xenopus laevis and brx1p from yeast define a new family of proteins involved in the biogenesis of large ribosomal subunits. Biol Chem. 2001;382:1637-47 pubmed..Depletion of Brx1 p in a conditional yeast mutant leads to defects in rRNA processing, and a block in the assembly of large ribosomal subunits. ..
- Lang R, Berger A, Santic R, Geisberger R, Hermann A, Herzog H, et al. Pharmacological and functional characterization of galanin-like peptide fragments as potent galanin receptor agonists. Neuropeptides. 2005;39:179-84 pubmed..Furthermore it might be a useful tool to study the affinity of GALP to galanin receptors and to search for specific GALP receptors. ..
- Kraus J, Voigt K, Schuller A, Scholz M, Kim K, Schilling M, et al. Interferon-beta stabilizes barrier characteristics of the blood-brain barrier in four different species in vitro. Mult Scler. 2008;14:843-52 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BBB stabilization by IFN-beta-1a may contribute to its beneficial effects in the treatment of MS. A human in vitro BBB model might be useful as bioassay for testing the treatment efficacy of drugs in MS. ..
- Steinbacher P, Stadlmayr V, Marschallinger J, Sänger A, Stoiber W. Lateral fast muscle fibers originate from the posterior lip of the teleost dermomyotome. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3233-9 pubmed publisher..This seems to be a continuation of the rotational cell movement that creates the teleost DM during early somite development. These findings suggest an evolutionary conserved role of the posterior DM lip in amniotes and fish. ..
- Marschallinger J, Obermayer A, Sänger A, Stoiber W, Steinbacher P. Postembryonic fast muscle growth of teleost fish depends upon a nonuniformly distributed population of mitotically active Pax7+ precursor cells. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2442-8 pubmed publisher..This indicates that postembryonic teleost muscle growth includes a cellular mechanism that has no direct equivalent in the amniotes. ..
- Steinbacher P, Marschallinger J, Obermayer A, Neuhofer A, Sänger A, Stoiber W. Temperature-dependent modification of muscle precursor cell behaviour is an underlying reason for lasting effects on muscle cellularity and body growth of teleost fish. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:1791-801 pubmed publisher..5°-fish, show enhanced MPC proliferation but reduced differentiation, thus leading to smaller hatchlings but allowing for a larger MPC pool that can be used for enhanced post-hatching growth, finally resulting in larger adults. ..
- Ziegler V, Knaup J, Stahl D, Krammer B, Plaetzer K. Fluorescence detection and depletion of T47D breast cancer cells from human mononuclear cell-enriched blood preparations by photodynamic treatment: Basic in vitro experiments towards the removal of circulating tumor cells. Lasers Surg Med. 2011;43:548-56 pubmed publisher..Breast cancer cells are efficiently killed by PDT with minor depletion of MNCs. Our findings provide a basis for the PDT of blood samples for a future depletion of CTCs. ..
- Weiss R, Hessenberger M, Kitzmüller S, Bach D, Weinberger E, Krautgartner W, et al. Transcutaneous vaccination via laser microporation. J Control Release. 2012;162:391-9 pubmed publisher..The P.L.E.A.S.E. device represents a highly effective and versatile platform for transcutaneous vaccination. ..
- Maier E, Duschl A, Horejs Hoeck J. STAT6-dependent and -independent mechanisms in Th2 polarization. Eur J Immunol. 2012;42:2827-33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we emphasize the role of STAT6 not only as a transcriptional activator promoting Th2 development, but also in fine-tuning alternative signaling pathways which are involved in the initiation of Th2 polarization. ..
- Merkel O, Taylor N, Prutsch N, Staber P, Moriggl R, Turner S, et al. When the guardian sleeps: Reactivation of the p53 pathway in cancer. Mutat Res. 2017;773:1-13 pubmed publisher..However, improving current p53 targeted molecules and finding the best therapy partners will clearly impact the future of cancer therapy. ..
- Scheiblhofer S, Weiss R, Gabler M, Leitner W, Thalhamer J. Replicase-based DNA vaccines for allergy treatment. Methods Mol Med. 2006;127:221-35 pubmed
- Harrer A, Lang R, Grims R, Braitsch M, Hawranek T, Aberer W, et al. Diclofenac hypersensitivity: antibody responses to the parent drug and relevant metabolites. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13707 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, a potential involvement of the most relevant metabolites in DF hypersensitivity reactions could be excluded. ..
- Lahnsteiner F, Kletzl M. The effect of water temperature on gamete maturation and gamete quality in the European grayling (Thymalus thymallus) based on experimental data and on data from wild populations. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2012;38:455-67 pubmed publisher..The regression functions indicate that an increase in water temperature from 21 December to spawning of 1°C advances spawning by 5½ days, and an increase of 1°C in the last 10-15 days advances spawning by 3½ days...
- Hessenberger M, Weiss R, Weinberger E, Boehler C, Thalhamer J, Scheiblhofer S. Transcutaneous delivery of CpG-adjuvanted allergen via laser-generated micropores. Vaccine. 2013;31:3427-34 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, immunomodulation with T helper 1-promoting adjuvants can prevent the risk for new sensitization. ..
- Nardone R, Höller Y, Brigo F, Seidl M, Christova M, Bergmann J, et al. Functional brain reorganization after spinal cord injury: systematic review of animal and human studies. Brain Res. 2013;1504:58-73 pubmed publisher..Integrated neuroimaging and neurophysiological approaches may also lead to the development of new therapeutic strategies, which have the potential of enhancing sensorimotor recovery in patients with SCI. ..
- Michels N, de Henauw S, Beghin L, Cuenca GarcÃa M, Gonzalez Gross M, Hallström L, et al. Ready-to-eat cereals improve nutrient, milk and fruit intake at breakfast in European adolescents. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55:771-779 pubmed publisher..Therefore, RTEC may be regarded as a good breakfast option as part of a varied and balanced diet. Nevertheless, more research is warranted concerning the role of different RTEC types in nutrient intake, especially for simple sugars. ..
- Teumer A, Tin A, Sorice R, Gorski M, Yeo N, Chu A, et al. Genome-wide Association Studies Identify Genetic Loci Associated With Albuminuria in Diabetes. Diabetes. 2016;65:803-17 pubmed publisher..Relative expression of RAB38 was higher in tubuli of patients with diabetic kidney disease compared with control subjects. The loci identified here confirm known pathways and highlight novel pathways influencing albuminuria. ..
- Esterbauer H, Oberkofler H, Krempler F, Patsch W. Human peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 (PPARGC1) gene: cDNA sequence, genomic organization, chromosomal localization, and tissue expression. Genomics. 1999;62:98-102 pubmed..Hence, PPARGC1 expression might influence insulin sensitivity as well as energy expenditure, thereby contributing to the development and pathophysiology of human obesity. ..
- Tontsch S, Zach O, Bauer H. Identification and localization of M-CoREST (1A13), a mouse homologue of the human transcriptional co-repressor CoREST, in the developing mouse CNS. Mech Dev. 2001;108:165-9 pubmed..As shown by in situ hybridization and Northern blotting, expression of M-CoREST mRNA is abundant in neural tissue at early embryonic stages but declines significantly towards birth, coincident with the progression of CNS maturation. ..
- Jakab M, Schmidt S, Grundbichler M, Paulmichl M, Hermann A, Weiger T, et al. Hypotonicity and ethanol modulate BK channel activity and chloride currents in GH4/C1 pituitary tumour cells. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2006;187:51-9 pubmed..The hypotonicity-induced BK channel activation can also be observed in cell free outside-out patches. Hypotonicity, but not ethanol leads to the activation of Cl- channels with features of Ca2+-activated Cl- currents. ..
- Lahnsteiner F, Weismann T. Treatment of ichthyophthiriasis in rainbow trout and common carp with common and alternative therapeutics. J Aquat Anim Health. 2007;19:186-94 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the number of treatment repetitions played a minor role, and parasites were eliminated with five treatments in all experiments when the type of chemical and treatment interval were optimal...
- Omar A, Foissner W. Neotypification and ontogenesis of Leptopharynx costatus costatus Mermod, 1914. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2012;59:268-86 pubmed publisher..These observations require changes in the descriptive morphology, support the classification of Leptopharynx into the Microthoracidae, and sustain the nonmonophyly of the Nassophorea...
- Kleiter N, Artner I, Gmachl N, Ghaffari Tabrizi N, Kratochwil K. Mutagenic transgene insertion into a region of high gene density and multiple linkage disruptions on mouse chromosome 11. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2002;97:100-5 pubmed..A comparison with the corresponding region on human chromosome 17q12 revealed several small-scale rearrangements during evolutionary divergence within this cluster of densely packed genes. ..
- Schrofner S, Zsombok A, Hermann A, Kerschbaum H. Nitric oxide decreases a calcium-activated potassium current via activation of phosphodiesterase 2 in Helix U-cells. Brain Res. 2004;999:98-105 pubmed..These experiments suggest that the NO-mediated decrease of KCa-current in U-cells results from synthesis of cGMP by activation of a guanylyl-cyclase and subsequent activation of PDE2. ..
- Brachtl G, Sahakyan K, Denk U, Girbl T, Alinger B, Hofbauer S, et al. Differential bone marrow homing capacity of VLA-4 and CD38 high expressing chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23758 pubmed publisher..Our data argue for a prominent role of VLA-4 but not CD38 expression in the homing of CLL cells to BM niches and in human BM infiltration, but only a limited role in their protection by stromal cells. ..
- Reinisch A, Hernandez D, Schallmoser K, Majeti R. Generation and use of a humanized bone-marrow-ossicle niche for hematopoietic xenotransplantation into mice. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:2169-2188 pubmed publisher..This protocol describes a robust and reproducible in vivo methodology for the study of normal and malignant human hematopoiesis in a more physiologic setting...
- Hebenstreit D, Giaisi M, Treiber M, Zhang X, Mi H, Horejs Hoeck J, et al. LEF-1 negatively controls interleukin-4 expression through a proximal promoter regulatory element. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:22490-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that IL-4 stimulation possesses a negative effect on the expressions of LEF-1 and TCF-1 in primary T cells, suggesting a positive feedback effect of IL-4 on IL4 gene expression. ..
- Martano G, Vogl C, Bojaxhi E, Bresgen N, Eckl P, Stutz H. Solid-phase extraction and GC-MS analysis of potentially genotoxic cleavage products of ?-carotene in primary cell cultures. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2011;400:2415-26 pubmed publisher..For the first time, quantification of volatile CPs in treatment solutions and culture media for primary cells becomes accessible by this validated method. ..
- Russe E, Purschke M, Farinelli W, Wang Y, Doukas A, Limpiangkanan W, et al. Micro-fractional, directional skin tightening: A porcine model. Lasers Surg Med. 2016;48:264-9 pubmed publisher..The direction of shrinkage is influenced by the direction of micro-hole closure, irrespective of the skin tension lines. This approach may allow reshaping the skin in a desired direction without scarring. ..
- Wechselberger C, Kreil G, Richter K. Isolation and sequence of a cDNA encoding the precursor of a bombesinlike peptide from brain and early embryos of Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:9819-22 pubmed..Moreover, it could be detected in early embryos (stage 2 and stage 10) of X. laevis. These findings suggest novel roles for peptides of the bombesin family in oocyte maturation and early amphibian development. ..
- Small J, Rottner K, Hahne P, Anderson K. Visualising the actin cytoskeleton. Microsc Res Tech. 1999;47:3-17 pubmed..Included also is a comparison of cooled CCD technology, confocal and 2-photon fluorescence microscopy of living and fixed cells, as well as a critique of current procedures for electron microscopy. ..
- Soldati A, Jacob D, Glatzel P, Swarbrick J, Geck J. Element substitution by living organisms: the case of manganese in mollusc shell aragonite. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22514 pubmed publisher..This outstanding feature is most likely facilitated through the non-classical crystallization pathway of bivalve shells. ..
- Zaborsky N, Brunner M, Wallner M, Himly M, Karl T, Schwarzenbacher R, et al. Antigen aggregation decides the fate of the allergic immune response. J Immunol. 2010;184:725-35 pubmed publisher..We conclude that aggregation of Bet v 1d triggers the establishment of a protective Ab titer and supports a rationale for Bet v 1d being a promising candidate for specific immunotherapy of birch pollen allergy...
- Jakab M, Grundbichler M, Benicky J, Ravasio A, Chwatal S, Schmidt S, et al. Glucose induces anion conductance and cytosol-to-membrane transposition of ICln in INS-1E rat insulinoma cells. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2006;18:21-34 pubmed
- Kiesslich T, Neureiter D, Wolkersdörfer G, Plaetzer K, Berr F. Advances in photodynamic therapy for the treatment of hilar biliary tract cancer. Future Oncol. 2010;6:1925-36 pubmed publisher..This article summarizes the recent advances in preclinical and clinical experience of PDT for hBTC, including experimental in vitro and in vivo studies, clinical studies and an overview of the ongoing clinical trials...
- Gadermaier G, Hauser M, Egger M, Ferrara R, Briza P, Santos K, et al. Sensitization prevalence, antibody cross-reactivity and immunogenic peptide profile of Api g 2, the non-specific lipid transfer protein 1 of celery. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24150 pubmed publisher..To investigate the sensitization prevalence and cross-reactivity of Api g 2 from celery stalks in a Mediterranean population and in a mouse model...
- Broussalis E, Trinka E, Killer M, Harrer A, McCoy M, Kraus J. Current therapies in ischemic stroke. Part B. Future candidates in stroke therapy and experimental studies. Drug Discov Today. 2012;17:671-84 pubmed publisher..In this part B of our review on stroke therapies we provide an overview on future candidates in stroke therapy and neuroprotective agents that are under investigation. ..
- Koller A, Rid R, Beyreis M, Bianchini R, Holub B, Lang A, et al. In vitro toxicity of the galanin receptor 3 antagonist SNAP 37889. Neuropeptides. 2016;56:83-8 pubmed publisher..We caution that the clinical use of SNAP 37889 at doses that might be used to treat anxiety- or depression- related diseases could have unexpected non-galanin receptor-mediated toxicity, especially on immune cells. ..
- Traweger A, Fuchs R, Krizbai I, Weiger T, Bauer H, Bauer H. The tight junction protein ZO-2 localizes to the nucleus and interacts with the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein scaffold attachment factor-B. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2692-700 pubmed..Interestingly, no association of SAF-B with ZO-1 was found, which supports the notion that junctional MAGUKs serve nonredundant functions. ..
- Aiub C, Gadermaier G, Silva I, Felzenszwalb I, Pinto L, Ferreira F, et al. N-nitrosodiethylamine genotoxicity evaluation: a cytochrome P450 induction study in rat hepatocytes. Genet Mol Res. 2011;10:2340-8 pubmed publisher..Understanding the cumulative effects in target cells during precarcinogenesis is crucial to understanding the mode of action of potential carcinogens and in order to develop comprehensive chemical toxicity profiles. ..
- Scheiblhofer S, Thalhamer J, Weiss R. Laser microporation of the skin: prospects for painless application of protective and therapeutic vaccines. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2013;10:761-73 pubmed publisher..Thorough investigation of the underlying immunological mechanisms will help to provide the knowledge for a rational design of transcutaneous protective/therapeutic vaccines. ..
- Richter K, Good P, Dawid I. A developmentally regulated, nervous system-specific gene in Xenopus encodes a putative RNA-binding protein. New Biol. 1990;2:556-65 pubmed..The occurrence of an RNP protein with nervous system-limited expression suggests that it may be involved in the tissue-specific control of RNA processing. ..
- Hoepflinger M, Pieslinger A, Tenhaken R. Investigations on N-rich protein (NRP) of Arabidopsis thaliana under different stress conditions. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2011;49:293-302 pubmed publisher..Summarizing, our findings point to a contribution of NRP in signal transduction of the initial phase of general stress response in Arabidopsis thaliana. ..
- Egger M, Alessandri C, Wallner M, Briza P, Zennaro D, Mari A, et al. Is aboriginal food less allergenic? Comparing IgE-reactivity of eggs from modern and ancient chicken breeds in a cohort of allergic children. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19062 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive diagnosis of egg allergy should distinguish between reactivity to hen's egg white and yolk fractions to avoid unnecessary dietary restrictions to improve life quality of the allergic child and its family. ..
- Lehner C, Gehwolf R, Hirzinger C, Stephan D, Augat P, Tauber M, et al. Bupivacaine induces short-term alterations and impairment in rat tendons. Am J Sports Med. 2013;41:1411-8 pubmed publisher..Toxicity of the local anesthetic bupivacaine (BV) has been a matter of debate across medical fields. Numerous in vitro studies demonstrate considerable toxicity of BV on various cell types...
- Moessler H, Mericskay M, Li Z, Nagl S, Paulin D, Small J. The SM 22 promoter directs tissue-specific expression in arterial but not in venous or visceral smooth muscle cells in transgenic mice. Development. 1996;122:2415-25 pubmed
- Holler C, Pinon J, Denk U, Heyder C, Hofbauer S, Greil R, et al. PKCbeta is essential for the development of chronic lymphocytic leukemia in the TCL1 transgenic mouse model: validation of PKCbeta as a therapeutic target in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2009;113:2791-4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, targeting of PKCbeta with the specific inhibitor enzastaurin led to killing of human CLL samples in vitro. We thus propose that PKCbeta may be a relevant target for the treatment of CLL. ..
- Limberger R, Wickham S. Predator dispersal determines the effect of connectivity on prey diversity. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29071 pubmed publisher..When connections enable the spread of a generalist predator, positive effects of connectivity on prey species richness are outweighed by regional extinctions through predation. ..
- Scheiblhofer S, Stoecklinger A, Gruber C, Hauser Kronberger C, Alinger B, Hammerl P, et al. Gene gun immunization with clinically relevant allergens aggravates allergen induced pathology and is contraindicated for allergen immunotherapy. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:1879-87 pubmed
- Lang R, Gundlach A, Kofler B. The galanin peptide family: receptor pharmacology, pleiotropic biological actions, and implications in health and disease. Pharmacol Ther. 2007;115:177-207 pubmed
- Reitsamer H, Bogner B, Tockner B, Kiel J. Effects of dorzolamide on choroidal blood flow, ciliary blood flow, and aqueous production in rabbits. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2301-7 pubmed publisher..Acute topical dorzolamide is a ciliary vasodilator and has a direct inhibitory effect on aqueous production, but it does not have a detectable effect on choroidal hemodynamics at the posterior pole in the rabbit. ..
- Mayr J, Haselhorst T, Langereis M, Dyason J, Huber W, Frey B, et al. Influenza C virus and bovine coronavirus esterase reveal a similar catalytic mechanism: new insights for drug discovery. Glycoconj J. 2008;25:393-9 pubmed publisher..This study provides valuable insights towards the design of drugs to combat INF-C virus and coronavirus infections causing outbreaks of upper respiratory infections and severe diarrhea in calves, respectively. ..
- Bauer J, Lang R, Jakab M, Kofler B. Galanin family of peptides in skin function. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2008;65:1820-5 pubmed publisher..We discuss these data in light of the role of the galanin peptide family in inflammation and cell proliferation. ..
- Stoecklinger A, Eticha T, Mesdaghi M, Kissenpfennig A, Malissen B, Thalhamer J, et al. Langerin+ dermal dendritic cells are critical for CD8+ T cell activation and IgH ?-1 class switching in response to gene gun vaccines. J Immunol. 2011;186:1377-83 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings reflect a highly specialized division of labor between different DC subsets both with respect to Ag encounter as well as downstream processes of immune activation. ..
- Wallner M, Hauser M, Himly M, Zaborsky N, Mutschlechner S, Harrer A, et al. Reshaping the Bet v 1 fold modulates T(H) polarization. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;127:1571-8.e9 pubmed publisher..We observed that the fold alteration led to a modified crosstalk with dendritic cells and a shift of the immune response polarization toward a mixed T(H)1/T(H)2 cytokine production. ..
- Schmidhuber S, Santic R, Tam C, Bauer J, Kofler B, Brain S. Galanin-like peptides exert potent vasoactive functions in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:716-21 pubmed..These results indicate functional activity of GALP in the periphery in vivo and suggest a potential role as an inflammatory modulator. ..
- Steinbacher P, Haslett J, Obermayer A, Marschallinger J, Bauer H, Sänger A, et al. MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic phases in brown trout: a precocious onset of mosaic hyperplasia is a prerequisite for fast somatic growth. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1106-14 pubmed..Furthermore, we suggest that Pax7 is expressed in myogenic progenitor cells that account for second- and third-phase myogenesis. These findings are discussed in relation to teleost myotome development and to teleost growth strategies. ..
- Winklmayr M, Schmid C, Laner Plamberger S, Kaser A, Aberger F, Eichberger T, et al. Non-consensus GLI binding sites in Hedgehog target gene regulation. BMC Mol Biol. 2010;11:2 pubmed publisher..Variant GLI binding sites with relatively low affinity can within natural promoters lead to strong transcriptional activation. This may facilitate the identification of additional direct GLI target genes. ..
- Andruchov O, Wang Y, Andruchova O, Galler S. Functional properties of skinned rabbit skeletal and cardiac muscle preparations containing alpha-cardiac myosin heavy chain. Pflugers Arch. 2004;448:44-53 pubmed..We conclude that type alpha fibres have characteristic kinetic properties that fill the gap between the fast type II and the slow type I fibres, and the following order of velocity can be established: IIB>IID(X)>IIA>alpha>I...
- Oostingh G, Casals E, Italiani P, Colognato R, Stritzinger R, Ponti J, et al. Problems and challenges in the development and validation of human cell-based assays to determine nanoparticle-induced immunomodulatory effects. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2011;8:8 pubmed publisher..These problems have to be solved to enable the development of reliable assays for the assessment of nano-immunosafety. ..
- Strasser P, Gimona M, Herzog M, Geiger B, Small J. Variable and constant regions in the C-terminus of vinculin and metavinculin. Cloning and expression of fragments in E. coli. FEBS Lett. 1993;317:189-94 pubmed..35 and 10.25 for the recombinant proteins. Biochemical and structural features of the metavinculin-specific sequence and the conserved vinculin/metavinculin carboxy-terminus are discussed. ..
- Neureiter D, Zopf S, Leu T, Dietze O, Hauser Kronberger C, Hahn E, et al. Apoptosis, proliferation and differentiation patterns are influenced by Zebularine and SAHA in pancreatic cancer models. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2007;42:103-16 pubmed..These compounds may therefore be suitable as adjunctive therapeutic agents in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Feichtner S, Inführ D, Achatz Straussberger G, Schmid D, Karnowski A, Lamers M, et al. Targeting the extracellular membrane-proximal domain of membrane-bound IgE by passive immunization blocks IgE synthesis in vivo. J Immunol. 2008;180:5499-505 pubmed..The decrease of allergen-specific serum IgE might be related to tolerance-inducing mechanisms stopping mIgE-displaying B cells in their proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Stan Lotter H, Doppler E, Jarosch M, Radax C, Gruber C, Inatomi K. Isolation of a chymotrypsinogen B-like enzyme from the archaeon Natronomonas pharaonis and other halobacteria. Extremophiles. 1999;3:153-61 pubmed..Cell extracts from other halobacteria exhibited similar proteolytic activity and immunoreactivity. The data suggested a widespread distribution of a chymotrypsinogen B-like protease among halo- and haloalkaliphilic Archaea. ..
- Steinbacher P, Haslett J, Six M, Gollmann H, Sänger A, Stoiber W. Phases of myogenic cell activation and possible role of dermomyotome cells in teleost muscle formation. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3132-43 pubmed..These findings are discussed in relation to their implications for the generality of vertebrate developmental patterns. ..
- Wopfner N, Gruber P, Wallner M, Briza P, Ebner C, Mari A, et al. Molecular and immunological characterization of novel weed pollen pan-allergens. Allergy. 2008;63:872-81 pubmed publisher..The identified proteins are novel pan-allergens and can be used as diagnostic markers for polysensitization and used in component-resolved diagnosis. ..
- Weinberger E, Isakovic A, Scheiblhofer S, Ramsauer C, Reiter K, Hauser Kronberger C, et al. The influence of antigen targeting to sub-cellular compartments on the anti-allergic potential of a DNA vaccine. Vaccine. 2013;31:6113-21 pubmed publisher..Targeting the antigen to proteasomal or lysosomal degradation reduces the availability of native allergen, thereby rendering the vaccine hypoallergenic without compromising efficacy, an important feature for a therapeutic setting. ..
- Burgstaller G, Gimona M. Actin cytoskeleton remodelling via local inhibition of contractility at discrete microdomains. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:223-31 pubmed..The results provide direct evidence for the spatially restricted inhibition of contractility via the recruitment and accumulation of cortactin and p190RhoGAP. ..
- Schmidhuber S, Starr A, Wynick D, Kofler B, Brain S. Targeted disruption of the galanin gene attenuates inflammatory responses in murine skin. J Mol Neurosci. 2008;34:149-55 pubmed..These data indicate that Gal KO mice demonstrate abnormal neurogenic inflammatory responses in murine skin compared to strain-matched wild-type mice. ..
- Gmachl M, Kreil G. Bee venom hyaluronidase is homologous to a membrane protein of mammalian sperm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:3569-73 pubmed..These structural data support the long-held view that hyaluronidases play a role in fertilization...
- Lepperdinger G, Strobl B, Jilek A, Weber A, Thalhamer J, Flöckner H, et al. The lipocalin Xlcpl1 expressed in the neural plate of Xenopus laevis embryos is a secreted retinaldehyde binding protein. Protein Sci. 1996;5:1250-60 pubmed..Based on these data, it is suggested that cpl1 is an integral member of the retinoid signaling pathway and, therefore, it plays a key role in pattern formation in early embryonic development. ..