Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on treatment outcome in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Topic: treatment outcome
Publications285 found, 100 shown here
- Ritchie D, Underhill C, Grigg A. Aplastic anemia as a late complication of thymoma in remission. Eur J Haematol. 2002;68:389-91 pubmed..This observation suggests that auto-reactive T cells may be produced by the thymoma but not induce clinical auto-immune disease until a later time, even after eradication of thymoma has been achieved. ..
- Aboltins C, Page M, Buising K, Jenney A, Daffy J, Choong P, et al. Treatment of staphylococcal prosthetic joint infections with debridement, prosthesis retention and oral rifampicin and fusidic acid. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007;13:586-91 pubmed
- Garland S, Cuzick J, Domingo E, Goldie S, Kim Y, Konno R, et al. Recommendations for cervical cancer prevention in Asia Pacific. Vaccine. 2008;26 Suppl 12:M89-98 pubmed publisher..It thus provides a synthesis of the available evidence-based scientific information, in the context of a significant and systematic international review, that is likely to be useful to governments and public health providers. ..
- Gurvitch R, Lefkovits J, Warren R, Duffy S, Clark D, Eccleston D, et al. Clinical outcomes of drug-eluting stent use in patients with ST elevation myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2010;143:283-8 pubmed publisher..While target vessel revascularisation rates were moderate in this high-risk group, there was no increased mortality, reinfarction or stent thrombosis compared to bare-metal stents. ..
- Myles P, Daly D, Silvers A, Cairo S. Prediction of neurological outcome using bispectral index monitoring in patients with severe ischemic-hypoxic brain injury undergoing emergency surgery. Anesthesiology. 2009;110:1106-15 pubmed publisher..BIS, when compared with clinical judgment and routine laboratory tests, provides useful information that may identify patients with a good chance of recovery after ischemic-hypoxic brain injury requiring emergency surgery. ..
- Snell G, Hopkins P, Westall G, Holsworth L, Carle A, Williams T. A feasibility and safety study of bronchoscopic thermal vapor ablation: a novel emphysema therapy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:1993-8 pubmed publisher..1, and the St. George Respiratory Questionnaire Total Score improved from 64.4 at baseline to 49.1. These preliminary data on unilateral BTVA therapy confirm feasibility, an acceptable safety profile, and the potential for efficacy. ..
- Feldman A, Voskoboinik A, Kumar S, Spence S, Morton J, Kistler P, et al. Predictors of acute and long-term success of slow pathway ablation for atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia: a single center series of 1,419 consecutive patients. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2011;34:927-33 pubmed publisher..Recurrence rates in this series were higher in young women, possibly reflecting a more conservative approach to ablation in this age group. ..
- Chua C, Schmölzer G, Davis P. Airway manoeuvres to achieve upper airway patency during mask ventilation in newborn infants - An historical perspective. Resuscitation. 2012;83:411-6 pubmed publisher..The additional application of chin lift might reduce leak during mask ventilation. However given the lack of available data these conclusions remains speculative and further research in this area is required. ..
- Prince H, Martin A, Olsen E, Fivenson D, Duvic M. Denileukin diftitox for the treatment of CD25 low-expression mycosis fungoides and Sézary syndrome. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013;54:69-75 pubmed publisher..The safety profile of DD in CD25 low-expression disease was similar to that in CD25+ disease. These findings suggest that CD25 low expression does not preclude a meaningful clinical response to DD in patients with CTCL. ..
- Kamlin C, O Donnell C, Davis P, Morley C. Colorimetric end-tidal carbon dioxide detectors in the delivery room: strengths and limitations. A case report. J Pediatr. 2005;147:547-8 pubmed..A case is presented in which an ETCO2 detector was misleading in determining endotracheal tube (ETT) position but useful in determining the efficacy of ventilation in an extremely preterm infant. ..
- Kosmider S, Shedda S, Jones I, McLaughlin S, Gibbs P. Predictors of clinic non-attendance: opportunities to improve patient outcomes in colorectal cancer. Intern Med J. 2010;40:757-63 pubmed publisher..Patients at risk of non-attendance can be identified. More research is needed to identify barriers as to why patients do not attend appointments and to develop measures that may improve patient attendance. ..
- Kotecha S, Westall G, Holsworth L, Pham A, Williams T, Snell G. Long-term outcomes from bronchoscopic lung volume reduction using a bronchial prosthesis. Respirology. 2011;16:167-73 pubmed publisher..BLVR with the Emphasys one-way valve has an acceptable safety profile and in select patients may achieve long-term sustained improvements in pulmonary function. ..
- Gill S, Thomas J, Fox C, Kron T, Rolfo A, Leahy M, et al. Acute toxicity in prostate cancer patients treated with and without image-guided radiotherapy. Radiat Oncol. 2011;6:145 pubmed publisher..Onset of these symptoms was earlier in the non-IGRT group. IGRT results in less acute toxicity during radiotherapy in prostate cancer. ..
- Bradshaw C, Pirotta M, De Guingand D, Hocking J, Morton A, Garland S, et al. Efficacy of oral metronidazole with vaginal clindamycin or vaginal probiotic for bacterial vaginosis: randomised placebo-controlled double-blind trial. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34540 pubmed publisher..acidophilus probiotic, does not reduce BV recurrence. ANZCTR.org.au ACTRN12607000350426. ..
- Montes M, Nelson M, Girard P, Sasadeusz J, Horban A, Grinsztejn B, et al. Telaprevir-based therapy in patients coinfected with chronic hepatitis C virus infection and HIV: INSIGHT study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:244-50 pubmed publisher..In treatment-naive/-experienced HCV-1/HIV-1 patients there were significantly higher SVR rates with telaprevir-based therapy compared with pre-specified historical controls, and safety comparable to that in HCV-monoinfected patients. ..
- Cadilhac D, Kilkenny M, Srikanth V, Lindley R, Lalor E, Osborne R, et al. Do cognitive, language, or physical impairments affect participation in a trial of self-management programs for stroke?. Int J Stroke. 2016;11:77-84 pubmed publisher..Reduced participation by those with global disability and the possibility of more adverse events in people with cognitive impairments needs to be considered. ..
- Paterson K, Nicholls M, Bennell K, Bates D. Intra-articular injection of photo-activated platelet-rich plasma in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomized controlled pilot study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:67 pubmed publisher..Photo-activated PRP may provide a safe and effective novel treatment for knee OA. ACTRN12611000651987. ..
- Andrews D, Williams D, Alexander K, Lie Y. Randomised comparison of the Classic Laryngeal Mask Airway with the Cobra Perilaryngeal Airway during anaesthesia in spontaneously breathing adult patients. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2009;37:85-92 pubmed..The findings suggest that the PLA provides a superior airway seal at a lower intracuff pressure compared to the LMA. However the time for successful insertion may be increased. ..
- Toussaint N. Review: differences in prescription between conventional and alternative haemodialysis. Nephrology (Carlton). 2010;15:399-405 pubmed publisher..An international quotidian dialysis registry has also recently been created to capture observational data on patients receiving alternative HD regimens and provides further information on dialysis prescriptions for these therapies. ..
- Gillies M, Walton R, Arnold J, McAllister I, Simpson J, Hunyor A, et al. Comparison of outcomes from a phase 3 study of age-related macular degeneration with a matched, observational cohort. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:676-81 pubmed publisher..Similarity of mean VA improvement in the matched observational cohort with that of the phase 3 clinical trial suggests that these results can be achieved in real-world clinical practice with a modified treatment regimen. ..
- Leow L, Pintens S, Pigott P, Whitfeld M. Erythema induratum - a hypersensitivity reaction to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Aust Fam Physician. 2006;35:521-2 pubmed..Distinctive and diagnostic histopathology comprises a septolobular panniculitis, necrosis, granulomatous inflammation and vasculitis...
- Osborne R, Buchbinder R, Ackerman I. Can a disease-specific education program augment self-management skills and improve Health-Related Quality of Life in people with hip or knee osteoarthritis?. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006;7:90 pubmed..Using an innovative design combining both quantitative and qualitative components, this project will provide high quality data to facilitate evidence-based recommendations regarding the ASMP. ..
- Ranasinghe W, Wright T, Attia J, McElduff P, DOYLE T, Bartholomew M, et al. Effects of bariatric surgery on urinary and sexual function. BJU Int. 2011;107:88-94 pubmed publisher..However, erectile index and orgasmic function worsened when adjusted for time. Further evaluation is required by means of larger prospective studies involving urodynamic testing. ..
- Zhu Y, Hayward P, Hadinata I, Matalanis G, Buxton B, Stewart A, et al. Long-term impact of radial artery harvest on forearm function and symptoms: a comparison with leg vein. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;145:412-9 pubmed publisher..We sought to characterize forearm function and symptoms after RA harvest and compare these with those associated with saphenous vein (SV) removal...
- Khan F, Amatya B, Hoffman K. Systematic review of multidisciplinary rehabilitation in patients with multiple trauma. Br J Surg. 2012;99 Suppl 1:88-96 pubmed publisher..The issues in study design and research methodology in rehabilitation are challenging. Opportunities to prioritize trauma rehabilitation, disability management and social reintegration of multiple injury survivors are discussed. ..
- Warrender Sparkes M, Spelman T, Izquierdo G, Trojano M, Lugaresi A, Grand Maison F, et al. The effect of oral immunomodulatory therapy on treatment uptake and persistence in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2016;22:520-32 pubmed publisher..Those who switched to fingolimod were more likely to do so for convenience. Persistence was improved on fingolimod compared to other medications. ..
- Alison J, McKeough Z, Jenkins S, Holland A, Hill K, Morris N, et al. A randomised controlled trial of supplemental oxygen versus medical air during exercise training in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: supplemental oxygen in pulmonary rehabilitation trial (SuppORT) (Protocol). BMC Pulm Med. 2016;16:25 pubmed publisher..Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12612000395831, 5th Jan,2012. ..
- Chiarotto A, Ostelo R, Turk D, Buchbinder R, Boers M. Core outcome sets for research and clinical practice. Braz J Phys Ther. 2017;21:77-84 pubmed publisher..There is a lack of COSs for neurological, geriatric, cardio-respiratory and pediatric conditions, therefore, future research could determine the value of developing COSs for these conditions. ..
- van Hoesel R. Exploring the benefits of bilateral cochlear implants. Audiol Neurootol. 2004;9:234-46 pubmed..Data from a number of new studies are presented to discuss these and other issues related to the potential to benefit from bilateral implantation. ..
- Filan P, Mills J, Clarnette T, Ekert H, Ekert P. Spontaneous liver hemorrhage during laparotomy for necrotizing enterocolitis: a potential role for recombinant factor VIIa. J Pediatr. 2005;147:857-9 pubmed..We describe our experience in 4 premature infants with necrotizing enterocolitis who received recombinant factor VIIa to manage life-threatening intraoperative hemorrhage. ..
- Polizzotto M, Bryan T, Ashby M, Martin P. Symptomatic management of calciphylaxis: a case series and review of the literature. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2006;32:186-90 pubmed..Particular emphasis is placed on the use of multimodal analgesia with high-dose opioids, ketamine, and benzodiazepines and on the use of preemptive analgesia...
- Peters L, O Sullivan B, Giralt J, Fitzgerald T, Trotti A, Bernier J, et al. Critical impact of radiotherapy protocol compliance and quality in the treatment of advanced head and neck cancer: results from TROG 02.02. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2996-3001 pubmed publisher..001, respectively. These results demonstrate the critical importance of radiotherapy quality on outcome of chemoradiotherapy in head and neck cancer. Centers treating only a few patients are the major source of quality problems. ..
- Alviar M, Olver J, Brand C, Hale T, Khan F. Do patient-reported outcome measures used in assessing outcomes in rehabilitation after hip and knee arthroplasty capture issues relevant to patients? Results of a systematic review and ICF linking process. J Rehabil Med. 2011;43:374-81 pubmed publisher..Patient-reported outcome measures in arthroplasty rehabilitation do not fully address relevant areas of activity, participation and environment, suggesting limited clinical applicability. ..
- Tatoulis J, Buxton B, Fuller J. The right internal thoracic artery: is it underutilized?. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2011;26:528-35 pubmed publisher..The role of BITA/CABG versus DESs also needs further definition. ..
- Saxena A, Dinh D, Yap C, Reid C, Billah B, Smith J, et al. Critical analysis of early and late outcomes after isolated coronary artery bypass surgery in elderly patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;92:1703-11 pubmed publisher..016). Elderly patients who undergo isolated CABG have significantly lower perioperative risks than have been previously reported. The long-term survival of these patients is comparable with an age-adjusted population. ..
- Sandborn W, Feagan B, Marano C, Zhang H, Strauss R, Johanns J, et al. Subcutaneous golimumab maintains clinical response in patients with moderate-to-severe ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:96-109.e1 pubmed publisher..Safety was consistent with that reported for other TNF? antagonists and golimumab in other approved indications. ClinicalTrials.gov number: NCT00488631. ..
- Noble P, Albera C, Bradford W, Costabel U, du Bois R, Fagan E, et al. Pirfenidone for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: analysis of pooled data from three multinational phase 3 trials. Eur Respir J. 2016;47:243-53 pubmed publisher..Analysis of data from three phase 3 trials demonstrated that treatment with pirfenidone for 1â€…year resulted in clinically meaningful reductions in disease progression in patients with IPF. ..
- Morton J, Sanders P, Davidson N, Sparks P, Vohra J, Kalman J. Phased-array intracardiac echocardiography for defining cavotricuspid isthmus anatomy during radiofrequency ablation of typical atrial flutter. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2003;14:591-7 pubmed..8 +/- 0.8 mm (P = NS vs pre); mid 3.8 +/- 0.8 mm (P = 0.05 vs pre); and posterior 3.8 +/- 0.8 mm (P = 0.02 vs pre). Phased-array ICE permits novel real-time CTI imaging with excellent endocardial resolution and may facilitate RFA of AFL. ..
- Tan H, Uchino S, Bellomo R. Electrolyte mass balance during CVVH: lactate vs. bicarbonate-buffered replacement fluids. Ren Fail. 2004;26:149-53 pubmed..Isovolemic CVVH is not isonatremic and the use of bicarbonate-buffered fluid results in a significant accumulation of chloride and a loss of magnesium. ..
- Ong C, Choo K, Morreau P, Auldist A. The learning curve in learning the curve: a review of Nuss procedure in teenagers. ANZ J Surg. 2005;75:421-4 pubmed..Modification of technique and increased experience has reduced complications. The use of bilateral lateral stabilisers without additional wire fixation is an alternative method to avoid bar displacement. ..
- Srinivasan J, Wallace K, Scheffer I. Febrile seizures. Aust Fam Physician. 2005;34:1021-5 pubmed..Carers should be counselled in the management of seizures. The effectiveness of prophylactic treatment with medication remains controversial. ..
- Hinman R, Payne C, Metcalf B, Wrigley T, Bennell K. Lateral wedges in knee osteoarthritis: what are their immediate clinical and biomechanical effects and can these predict a three-month clinical outcome?. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;59:408-15 pubmed publisher..Although some parameters predicted clinical outcome, these explained only one-third of the variance, suggesting that other unknown factors are also important. ..
- Cyarto E, Lautenschlager N, Desmond P, Ames D, Szoeke C, Salvado O, et al. Protocol for a randomized controlled trial evaluating the effect of physical activity on delaying the progression of white matter changes on MRI in older adults with memory complaints and mild cognitive impairment: the AIBL Active trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2012;12:167 pubmed publisher..Since imbedded in AIBL this RCT will also be able to investigate the interaction between vascular and Alzheimer's disease pathologies. Australia New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12611000612910. ..
- Kwan P, Wang W, Wu J, Li S, Yang H, Ding D, et al. Long-term outcome of phenobarbital treatment for epilepsy in rural China: a prospective cohort study. Epilepsia. 2013;54:537-42 pubmed publisher..One hundred years after the discovery of its antiepileptic effect, phenobarbital is still playing an important role in the management of epilepsy. ..
- Walter L, Biggs S, Nisbet L, Weichard A, Hollis S, Davey M, et al. Improved long-term autonomic function following resolution of sleep-disordered breathing in preschool-aged children. Sleep Breath. 2016;20:309-19 pubmed publisher..This highlights the autonomic impact of SDB in young children and the importance of detection and treatment. ..
- Blackman P. A review of chronic exertional compartment syndrome in the lower leg. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000;32:S4-10 pubmed..Surgical treatment is usually definitive and techniques for decompression of the five compartments are presented with comparison to available conservative treatments...
- Tjandra J, Chan M. Systematic review on the short-term outcome of laparoscopic resection for colon and rectosigmoid cancer. Colorectal Dis. 2006;8:375-88 pubmed..Several large randomized controlled trials on laparoscopic resection for colon and rectosigmoid cancer have recently been published. There is a need to provide an up-to-date systematic review in this subject...
- Krum H, Schlaich M, Sobotka P. Renal sympathetic nerve ablation for treatment-resistant hypertension. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013;76:495-503 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the current status of percutaneous renal sympathetic nerve denervation, clinical efficacy and safety outcomes and prospects beyond refractory hypertension. ..
- Meagher P, Morrison W. An unusual presentation of bilateral prominent ears. Br J Plast Surg. 2001;54:366-7 pubmed..The cause of this condition is probably multifactorial and, whilst there is certainly a strong familial component, pathological causes are few. We present a case of bilateral postauricular dermoid cysts giving rise to this condition. ..
- Dargaville P, Mills J, Copnell B, Loughnan P, McDougall P, Morley C. Therapeutic lung lavage in meconium aspiration syndrome: a preliminary report. J Paediatr Child Health. 2007;43:539-45 pubmed
- Holland A, Hill C, Conron M, Munro P, McDonald C. Short term improvement in exercise capacity and symptoms following exercise training in interstitial lung disease. Thorax. 2008;63:549-54 pubmed publisher..Exercise training improves exercise capacity and symptoms in patients with ILD, but these benefits are not sustained 6 months following intervention. ..
- Keating D, Levvey B, Kotsimbos T, Whitford H, Westall G, Williams T, et al. Lung transplantation in pulmonary fibrosis: challenging early outcomes counterbalanced by surprisingly good outcomes beyond 15 years. Transplant Proc. 2009;41:289-91 pubmed publisher..Consideration should be given to utilizing SLT to maximize the allocation of donor lungs and to decrease waiting list mortality associated with IPF. ..
- Pratt B, Zion D, Lwin K, Cheah P, Nosten F, Loff B. Closing the translation gap for justice requirements in international research. J Med Ethics. 2012;38:552-8 pubmed publisher..Such empirical work is necessary to inform the articulation of obligations of justice in international research and to develop guidance on how to fulfil them in order to facilitate better adherence to guidelines' requirements. ..
- Lambert G, Hering D, Esler M, Marusic P, Lambert E, Tanamas S, et al. Health-related quality of life after renal denervation in patients with treatment-resistant hypertension. Hypertension. 2012;60:1479-84 pubmed publisher..In this pre- and post-hypothesis generating study, several aspects of QoL were improved after renal denervation; however, this was not directly associated with the magnitude of BP reduction. ..
- Constantinou M, Jhanji V, Jing X, Lamoureux E, Boffa U, Taylor H, et al. A randomized, single-center study of equivalence of 2 intraocular lenses used in cataract surgery. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:482-488 pubmed publisher..05) or after (P>0.05) the surgery. The Tecsoft Flex IOL is a low-cost suitable alternative that is similar to the AcrySof IOL in terms of safety and visual outcomes. ..
- McLellan A, Kumar S, Smith C, Morton J, Kalman J, Kistler P. The role of adenosine following pulmonary vein isolation in patients undergoing catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: a systematic review. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2013;24:742-51 pubmed publisher..Paradoxically acute adenosine-induced PV reconnection may portend a greater likelihood of AF recurrence despite additional ablation. Randomized controlled trials are required to determine the role of adenosine testing post-PVI. ..
- Aboltins C, Dowsey M, Peel T, Lim W, Parikh S, Stanley P, et al. Early prosthetic hip joint infection treated with debridement, prosthesis retention and biofilm-active antibiotics: functional outcomes, quality of life and complications. Intern Med J. 2013;43:810-5 pubmed publisher..It is therefore important to consider other outcomes after PJI treatment that may influence management decisions, such as function, quality of life (QOL) and treatment-associated complications...
- Kalincik T, Spelman T, Trojano M, Duquette P, Izquierdo G, Grammond P, et al. Persistence on therapy and propensity matched outcome comparison of two subcutaneous interferon beta 1a dosages for multiple sclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63480 pubmed publisher..Propensity score matching effectively minimised baseline covariate imbalance between two directly compared sub-populations from a large observational registry. ..
- O Brien P, Brennan L, Laurie C, Brown W. Intensive medical weight loss or laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in the treatment of mild to moderate obesity: long-term follow-up of a prospective randomised trial. Obes Surg. 2013;23:1345-53 pubmed publisher..There is also a sustained reduction of the metabolic syndrome. There is a significant maintenance requirement after LAGB. ..
- Parakh S, Gan H, Parslow A, Burvenich I, Burgess A, Scott A. Evolution of anti-HER2 therapies for cancer treatment. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;59:1-21 pubmed publisher..Future research will lead to higher therapeutic responses, lower toxicities and providing insight into the mechanisms of resistance to HER2-targeted treatments. ..
- Davis I, Chen W, Jackson H, Parente P, Shackleton M, Hopkins W, et al. Recombinant NY-ESO-1 protein with ISCOMATRIX adjuvant induces broad integrated antibody and CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cell responses in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10697-702 pubmed..In an unplanned analysis, vaccinated patients appeared to have superior clinical outcomes to those treated with placebo or protein alone. The vaccine is safe and highly potent immunologically. ..
- Pather S, Quinn M. Clear-cell cancer of the ovary-is it chemosensitive?. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2005;15:432-7 pubmed..Advanced disease does respond to carboplatin and paclitaxel, which should be the chemotherapeutic regimen of choice. New second-line agents are urgently required. ..
- Buchbinder R, Green S, Youd J, Assendelft W, Barnsley L, Smidt N. Systematic review of the efficacy and safety of shock wave therapy for lateral elbow pain. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:1351-63 pubmed..To determine the efficacy and safety of extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) for lateral elbow pain...
- Fogarty G, Cassumbhoy R, Martin J, Fay M, Ainslie J. Technique for axillary radiotherapy using computer-assisted planning for high-risk skin cancer. Australas Radiol. 2007;51:267-75 pubmed..This technique for axillary radiotherapy for regional control of skin cancer is acceptable in terms of disease control and toxicity as validated by audit at 2 years. ..
- Crowther M, Bell S. Neuropathic shoulder in syringomyelia treated with resurfacing arthroplasty of humeral head and soft-tissue lining of glenoid: a case report. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007;16:e38-40 pubmed
- Ye K, McD Taylor D, Knott J, Dent A, MacBean C. Handover in the emergency department: deficiencies and adverse effects. Emerg Med Australas. 2007;19:433-41 pubmed..Recommendations for improvement include guideline development to standardize handover processes, the greater use of information technology facilities, ongoing feedback to staff, and quality assurance and education activities. ..
- Levinger I, Goodman C, Peake J, Garnham A, Hare D, Jerums G, et al. Inflammation, hepatic enzymes and resistance training in individuals with metabolic risk factors. Diabet Med. 2009;26:220-7 pubmed publisher..05). HiMF was associated with increased inflammatory markers and hepatic enzyme concentrations. RT did not reduce inflammatory markers and hepatic enzymes in individuals with HiMF. ..
- Wang K, Dowrick A, Choi J, Rahim R, Edwards E. Post-operative numbness and patient satisfaction following plate fixation of clavicular fractures. Injury. 2010;41:1002-5 pubmed publisher..Surgeons should consider using this approach in plate fixation of clavicle fractures. ..
- Thomas N, Rossell S, Farhall J, Shawyer F, Castle D. Cognitive behavioural therapy for auditory hallucinations: effectiveness and predictors of outcome in a specialist clinic. Behav Cogn Psychother. 2011;39:129-38 pubmed publisher..Lack of insight and presence of formal thought disorder do not preclude effective cognitive-behavioural treatment of auditory hallucinations. There is a need to further understand why negative symptoms may present a barrier to therapy. ..
- Pettila V, Westbrook A, Nichol A, Bailey M, Wood E, Syres G, et al. Age of red blood cells and mortality in the critically ill. Crit Care. 2011;15:R116 pubmed publisher..01 (95% confidence interval = 1.07 to 3.77). In critically ill patients, in Australia and New Zealand, exposure to older RBCs is independently associated with an increased risk of death. ..
- Monagle P, Cochrane A, Roberts R, Manlhiot C, Weintraub R, Szechtman B, et al. A multicenter, randomized trial comparing heparin/warfarin and acetylsalicylic acid as primary thromboprophylaxis for 2 years after the Fontan procedure in children. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;58:645-51 pubmed publisher..International Multi Centre Randomized Clinical Trial Of Anticoagulation In Children Following Fontan Procedures; NCT00182104). ..
- John T, Starmans M, Chen Y, Russell P, Barnett S, White S, et al. The role of Cancer-Testis antigens as predictive and prognostic markers in non-small cell lung cancer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67876 pubmed publisher..NY-ESO-1 was predictive of increased response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and benefit from adjuvant chemotherapy. Further studies investigating the relationship between these findings and immune mechanisms are warranted. ..
- Lapuz C, Kondalsamy Chennakesavan S, Bernshaw D, Khaw P, Narayan K. Stage IB cervix cancer with nodal involvement treated with primary surgery or primary radiotherapy: Patterns of failure and outcomes in a contemporary population. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2016;60:274-82 pubmed publisher..Almost all relapses occurred beyond the pelvis and therefore more aggressive local treatment is unlikely to improve survival in these patients. ..
- Wang X, Gkanatsas Y, Palasubramaniam J, Hohmann J, Chen Y, Lim B, et al. Thrombus-Targeted Theranostic Microbubbles: A New Technology towards Concurrent Rapid Ultrasound Diagnosis and Bleeding-free Fibrinolytic Treatment of Thrombosis. Theranostics. 2016;6:726-38 pubmed publisher..This technology holds promise for major progress in rapid diagnosis and bleeding-free thrombolysis thereby potentially preventing the often devastating consequences of thrombotic disease in many patients. ..
- Tjandra J, Tagkalidis P. Carbohydrate-electrolyte (E-Lyte) solution enhances bowel preparation with oral fleet phospho-soda. Dis Colon Rectum. 2004;47:1181-6 pubmed..Carbohydrate-electrolyte (E-Lyte) solution protects against hypokalemia, improves patient tolerability, and may enhance use of oral sodium phosphate as a bowel-preparation agent. ..
- Wickremasinghe S, Xie J, Lim J, Chauhan D, Robman L, Richardson A, et al. Variants in the APOE gene are associated with improved outcome after anti-VEGF treatment for neovascular AMD. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:4072-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a possible role for a personalized approach to treatment with anti-VEGF. ..
- Smith E, Cai M, McMahon L, Pedagogos E, Toussaint N, Brumby C, et al. Serum fetuin-A concentration and fetuin-A-containing calciprotein particles in patients with chronic inflammatory disease and renal failure. Nephrology (Carlton). 2013;18:215-21 pubmed publisher..Patients with CUA on haemodialysis have very high serum Fet-A reduction ratios, suggesting that this measurement may have a prognostic/diagnostic role in this condition. ..
- Tan J, Chan M, Tjandra J. Evolving therapy for fecal incontinence. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50:1950-67 pubmed..Sphincteroplasty is limited to a small group of patients with isolated defect of the external sphincter. A stoma, although effective, can be avoided in most cases. ..
- Carr A, DeSteiger R. Osteolysis in patients with a metal-on-metal hip arthroplasty. ANZ J Surg. 2008;78:144-7 pubmed publisher..We report a prevalence of 2.6% of patients displaying femoral osteolysis associated with characteristic clinical and histological findings. ..
- Tjandra J, Chan M, Yeh C, Murray Green C. Sacral nerve stimulation is more effective than optimal medical therapy for severe fecal incontinence: a randomized, controlled study. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008;51:494-502 pubmed publisher..Sacral neuromodulation significantly improved the outcome in patients with severe fecal incontinence compared with the control group undergoing optimal medical therapy. ..
- Crossland D, Wilkinson J, Cochrane A, D Udekem Y, Brizard C, Lane G. Initial results of primary device closure of large muscular ventricular septal defects in early infancy using perventricular access. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2008;72:386-391 pubmed publisher..Perventricular muscular VSD closure can be safely and effectively undertaken in small infants with suitable muscular defects, and this strategy can avoid the need for bypass. ..
- Atkin N, Jackson K, Danks R. Bilateral open thoracic cordotomy for refractory cancer pain: a neglected technique?. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010;39:924-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss the various interventional options and review the recent literature regarding the use of both percutaneous and open cordotomy for cancer pain. ..
- Rischin D, Peters L, O Sullivan B, Giralt J, Fisher R, Yuen K, et al. Tirapazamine, cisplatin, and radiation versus cisplatin and radiation for advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (TROG 02.02, HeadSTART): a phase III trial of the Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2989-95 pubmed publisher..We found no evidence that the addition of TPZ to chemoradiotherapy, in patients with advanced head and neck cancer not selected for the presence of hypoxia, improves OS. ..
- Halmos E, Power V, Shepherd S, Gibson P, Muir J. A diet low in FODMAPs reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:67-75.e5 pubmed publisher..In a controlled, cross-over study of patients with IBS, a diet low in FODMAPs effectively reduced functional gastrointestinal symptoms. This high-quality evidence supports its use as a first-line therapy. ACTRN12612001185853. ..
- Singh P, Constable L, O DONNELL J. Arthroscopic excision of a giant-cell tumour of the ligamentum teres. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91:809-11 pubmed publisher..The lesion was only detected at the time of hip arthroscopy despite pre-operative MRI being performed. It was successfully excised arthroscopically with resolution of the symptoms...
- Hagemeyer C, Peter K. Targeting the platelet integrin GPIIb/IIIa. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:4119-33 pubmed