Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sympathetic nervous system in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Topic: sympathetic nervous system
- Simms A, Paton J, Pickering A, Allen A. Amplified respiratory-sympathetic coupling in the spontaneously hypertensive rat: does it contribute to hypertension?. J Physiol. 2009;587:597-610 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the amplified respiratory-related bursts of SNA seen in the neonate and juvenile SH rat may be causal in the development of their hypertension. ..
- Hering D, Marusic P, Walton A, Duval J, Lee R, Sata Y, et al. Renal artery anatomy affects the blood pressure response to renal denervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Int J Cardiol. 2016;202:388-93 pubmed publisher..However, when patients with dual renal arteries received renal nerve ablation in all arteries there was trend towards a greater BP reduction. Insufficient renal sympathetic nerve ablation may account for these differences. ..
- Donazzan L, Mahfoud F, Ewen S, Ukena C, Cremers B, Kirsch C, et al. Effects of catheter-based renal denervation on cardiac sympathetic activity and innervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Clin Res Cardiol. 2016;105:364-71 pubmed publisher..These changes occurred independently from BP effects and provide a pathophysiological basis for studies, investigating the potential effect of RDN on arrhythmias and heart failure. ..
- Davern P, Jackson K, Nguyen Huu T, La Greca L, Head G. Cardiovascular responses to aversive and nonaversive stressors in Schlager genetically hypertensive mice. Am J Hypertens. 2010;23:838-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, BPH/2J hypertensive mice may be a particularly relevant model for human hypertensive patients that overrespond to daily stressors. ..
- Hering D, Lambert E, Marusic P, Walton A, Krum H, Lambert G, et al. Substantial reduction in single sympathetic nerve firing after renal denervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Hypertension. 2013;61:457-64 pubmed publisher..Whether the earlier changes in single-unit firing patterns may predict long-term BP response to RDN warrants further exploration. ..
- Esler M. Differentiation in the effects of the angiotensin II receptor blocker class on autonomic function. J Hypertens Suppl. 2002;20:S13-9 pubmed..A reduction in noradrenaline spillover disproportionate to any possible fall in nerve firing would document the presence of presynaptic antagonism of noradrenaline release. ..
- Straznicky N, Eikelis N, Nestel P, Dixon J, Dawood T, Grima M, et al. Baseline sympathetic nervous system activity predicts dietary weight loss in obese metabolic syndrome subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:605-13 pubmed publisher..004). These findings indicate that baseline sympathetic drive and nutritional sympathetic responsiveness may be important prognostic biological markers for weight loss outcome. ..
- Lambert E, Hotchkin E, Alvarenga M, Pier C, Richards J, Barton D, et al. Single-unit analysis of sympathetic nervous discharges in patients with panic disorder. J Physiol. 2006;570:637-43 pubmed..Quantification from single vasoconstrictor unit recording provides evidence of a disturbed sympathetic firing pattern in patients with panic disorder. ..
- Schlaich M, Krum H, Sobotka P. Renal sympathetic nerve ablation: the new frontier in the treatment of hypertension. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2010;12:39-46 pubmed publisher..Recent reports on a novel catheter-based renal nerve ablation procedure reviewed in this article are promising. ..
- Lambert E, Sari C, Dawood T, Nguyen J, McGrane M, Eikelis N, et al. Sympathetic nervous system activity is associated with obesity-induced subclinical organ damage in young adults. Hypertension. 2010;56:351-8 pubmed publisher..Sympathetic activity is closely associated with cardiovascular and renal alterations observed in these subjects. ..
- Cox S, Ben A, Story D, Ziogas J. Evidence for the involvement of different receptor subtypes in the pre- and postjunctional actions of angiotensin II at rat sympathetic neuroeffector sites. Br J Pharmacol. 1995;114:1057-63 pubmed..In contrast, the direct vasoconstrictor effect of angiotensin II in the rat caudal artery involves activation of a receptor subtype sensitive only to losartan. ..
- Vaddadi G, Guo L, Esler M, Socratous F, Schlaich M, Chopra R, et al. Recurrent postural vasovagal syncope: sympathetic nervous system phenotypes. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2011;4:711-8 pubmed publisher..It is predicted that future therapy targeting the specific mechanisms identified in the present report should translate into more effective treatment. ..
- Lambert G, Hering D, Esler M, Marusic P, Lambert E, Tanamas S, et al. Health-related quality of life after renal denervation in patients with treatment-resistant hypertension. Hypertension. 2012;60:1479-84 pubmed publisher..In this pre- and post-hypothesis generating study, several aspects of QoL were improved after renal denervation; however, this was not directly associated with the magnitude of BP reduction. ..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, Tuck M. Beta2- and beta3-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms are related to the onset of weight gain and blood pressure elevation over 5 years. Circulation. 2005;111:3429-34 pubmed..These findings suggest that beta2-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms in association with a heightened sympathetic nerve activity could predict the future onset of obesity and hypertension, as shown in the 5-year longitudinal study. ..
- Masuo K, Straznicky N, Lambert G, Katsuya T, Sugimoto K, Rakugi H, et al. Leptin-receptor polymorphisms relate to obesity through blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic nerve activation in a Caucasian male population. Hypertens Res. 2008;31:1093-100 pubmed publisher..We therefore hypothesize that leptin-receptor play a role in the development of obesity through leptin resistance and blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic nerve activity. ..
- Sevigny C, Bassi J, Teschemacher A, Kim K, Williams D, Anderson C, et al. C1 neurons in the rat rostral ventrolateral medulla differentially express vesicular monoamine transporter 2 in soma and axonal compartments. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:1536-44 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate differential distribution of VMAT2 within different subpopulations of C1 neurons and suggest that this might reflect differences in somatodendritic vs. synaptic release of catecholamines. ..
- Du X, Feng X, Gao X, Tan T, Kiriazis H, Dart A. I(f) channel inhibitor ivabradine lowers heart rate in mice with enhanced sympathoadrenergic activities. Br J Pharmacol. 2004;142:107-12 pubmed..This specific HR-reducing action of ivabradine is well preserved under conditions that are associated with significant activation of the sympathoadrenergic system. ..
- Mansfield D, Kaye D, Brunner La Rocca H, Solin P, Esler M, Naughton M. Raised sympathetic nerve activity in heart failure and central sleep apnea is due to heart failure severity. Circulation. 2003;107:1396-400 pubmed..We measured awake total body and cardiac NE spillover and related these to measurements of cardiac hemodynamics and apnea severity in CHF patients with CSA, with normal breathing, and with obstructive sleep apnea (CHF-OSA)...
- Walter L, Foster A, Patterson R, Anderson V, Davey M, Nixon G, et al. Cardiovascular variability during periodic leg movements in sleep in children. Sleep. 2009;32:1093-9 pubmed..This study aimed to quantify the effect of PLMS episodes during NREM2 sleep on heart rate variability (HRV) measures of sympathovagal balance in children...
- Head G, Burke S. Comparison of renal sympathetic baroreflex effects of rilmenidine and alpha-methylnoradrenaline in the ventrolateral medulla of the rabbit. J Hypertens. 2000;18:1263-76 pubmed..To determine the influence of imidazoline receptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors in the rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) on the renal sympathetic baroreflex...
- Burke S, Lambert E, Head G. New approaches to quantifying sympathetic nerve activity. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2011;13:249-57 pubmed publisher..These have led to a better understanding of sympathoactivation in hypertension and its underlying mechanisms. ..
- Bokiniec P, Shahbazian S, McDougall S, Berning B, Cheng D, Llewellyn Smith I, et al. Polysialic Acid Regulates Sympathetic Outflow by Facilitating Information Transfer within the Nucleus of the Solitary Tract. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6558-6574 pubmed publisher..These findings hint at the importance of elucidating how other glycans influence neural function. ..
- McAllen R, Tanaka M, Ootsuka Y, McKinley M. Multiple thermoregulatory effectors with independent central controls. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010;109:27-33 pubmed publisher..This was ranked as: tail > back skin > BAT > fusimotor. These and other data indicate that the four thermoeffector outflows are driven by separate neural pathways, each regulated by independent brain temperature sensors. ..
- Moretti J, Burke S, Evans R, Lambert G, Head G. Enhanced responses to ganglion blockade do not reflect sympathetic nervous system contribution to angiotensin II-induced hypertension. J Hypertens. 2009;27:1838-48 pubmed publisher..Enhanced depressor responses to ganglion blockade in AngII hypertension do not reflect augmented SNS activity, but rather, augmented sympathetic vasoconstriction mediated by a vascular amplifier effect. ..
- Mayorov D, Head G. Influence of rostral ventrolateral medulla on renal sympathetic baroreflex in conscious rabbits. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001;280:R577-87 pubmed..We conclude that the RVLM plays a key role in circulatory control in conscious rabbits. However, we find no evidence for the role of ANG II receptors in the RVLM in the moment-to-moment regulation of AP and RSNA...
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, Tuck M. Beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms relate to insulin resistance and sympathetic overactivity as early markers of metabolic disease in nonobese, normotensive individuals. Am J Hypertens. 2005;18:1009-14 pubmed..These findings show an important role of beta2-adrenoceptor gene polymorphisms in the association of insulin resistance in hypertension and obesity. ..
- Kosari S, Rathner J, Badoer E. Central resistin enhances renal sympathetic nerve activity via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase but reduces the activity to brown adipose tissue via extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2. J Neuroendocrinol. 2012;24:1432-9 pubmed publisher..c.v. administration of U0126. The findings indicate that resistin increases renal SNA via PI3K and reduces BAT SNA via ERK1/2. ..
- Porta A, Marchi A, Bari V, De Maria B, Esler M, Lambert E, et al. Assessing the strength of cardiac and sympathetic baroreflex controls via transfer entropy during orthostatic challenge. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2017;375: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the themed issue 'Mathematical methods in medicine: neuroscience, cardiology and pathology'. ..
- Esler M, Kaye D. Increased sympathetic nervous system activity and its therapeutic reduction in arterial hypertension, portal hypertension and heart failure. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1998;72:210-9 pubmed
- Prior L, Davern P, Burke S, Lim K, Armitage J, Head G. Exposure to a high-fat diet during development alters leptin and ghrelin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2014;63:338-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that offspring from mothers consuming an HFD exhibit an adverse cardiovascular profile in adulthood because of altered central hypothalamic sensitivity to leptin and ghrelin. ..
- Kiriazis H, Du X, Feng X, Hotchkin E, Marshall T, Finch S, et al. Preserved left ventricular structure and function in mice with cardiac sympathetic hyperinnervation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;289:H1359-65 pubmed..In conclusion, overexpression of NGF in heart leads to sympathetic hyperinnervation that is not associated with detrimental effects on LV performance and is likely due to concomitantly enhanced norepinephrine neuronal uptake. ..
- Prior L, Eikelis N, Armitage J, Davern P, Burke S, Montani J, et al. Exposure to a high-fat diet alters leptin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2010;55:862-8 pubmed publisher..The paradoxical reduction in hypothalamic neuronal activation by leptin suggests a marked "selective leptin resistance" in these animals. ..
- Enriori P, Sinnayah P, Simonds S, Garcia Rudaz C, Cowley M. Leptin action in the dorsomedial hypothalamus increases sympathetic tone to brown adipose tissue in spite of systemic leptin resistance. J Neurosci. 2011;31:12189-97 pubmed publisher..Because the sympathetic nervous system contributes in regulating blood pressure, heart rate, and hepatic glucose production, selective leptin resistance may be a crucial mechanism linking adiposity and metabolic syndrome. ..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Sugimoto K, Kawaguchi H, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, et al. High plasma norepinephrine levels associated with beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms predict future renal damage in nonobese normotensive individuals. Hypertens Res. 2007;30:503-11 pubmed
- Lambert E, Eikelis N, Esler M, Dawood T, Schlaich M, Bayles R, et al. Altered sympathetic nervous reactivity and norepinephrine transporter expression in patients with postural tachycardia syndrome. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2008;1:103-9 pubmed publisher..Paradoxically, whole-body NE spillover to plasma during rest in the supine position and in response to head-up tilt is not altered despite excessive nerve firing rate in response to the head-up tilt. ..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Kawaguchi H, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, et al. Beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms relate to obesity through blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic activation. Am J Hypertens. 2006;19:1084-91 pubmed..We propose that the beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms related to blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic activation offers further proof for the mechanisms of obesity. ..
- Jackson K, Marques F, Watson A, Palma Rigo K, Nguyen Huu T, Morris B, et al. A novel interaction between sympathetic overactivity and aberrant regulation of renin by miR-181a in BPH/2J genetically hypertensive mice. Hypertension. 2013;62:775-81 pubmed publisher..We suggest that renal hyperinnervation and enhanced sympathetically induced renin synthesis mediated by lower micro-RNA-181a contributes to hypertension in BPH/2J mice. ..
- Cassaglia P, Griffiths R, Walker A. Cerebral sympathetic nerve activity has a major regulatory role in the cerebral circulation in REM sleep. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:1050-6 pubmed publisher..As SNA increases precede AP surges, they may serve to protect the brain against potentially damaging intravascular pressure changes or hyperperfusion in REM sleep. ..
- van den Buuse M, Tritton S, Burke S, Head G. Interaction of the dopamine D2 receptor agonist quinpirole with sympathetic vasomotor tone and the central action of rilmenidine in conscious rabbits. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1998;72:187-94 pubmed..However, the previously described apparent desensitisation to the antihypertensive effect of rilmenidine could not be observed in rabbits, suggesting marked species differences in the mechanism and site of action of rilmenidine...
- Du X, Vincan E, Woodcock D, Milano C, Dart A, Woodcock E. Response to cardiac sympathetic activation in transgenic mice overexpressing beta 2-adrenergic receptor. Am J Physiol. 1996;271:H630-6 pubmed..Thus overexpression of cardiac beta 2-receptors modifies beta-adrenergic activity, but the responses to endogenous and exogenous adrenergic stimulation are affected differently...