Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on skin in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- McWilliam H, Piedrafita D, Li Y, Zheng M, He Y, Yu X, et al. Local immune responses of the Chinese water buffalo, Bubalus bubalis, against Schistosoma japonicum larvae: crucial insights for vaccine design. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2460 pubmed publisher..This study offers a deeper understanding into the immunobiology of schistosomiasis in a natural host, which may aid in the future design of more effective vaccines. ..
- Karki S, Cheng A. Impact of non-rinse skin cleansing with chlorhexidine gluconate on prevention of healthcare-associated infections and colonization with multi-resistant organisms: a systematic review. J Hosp Infect. 2012;82:71-84 pubmed publisher..The topical use of chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) is intended to reduce bacterial density on patients' skin...
- Taylor G. The angiosomes of the body and their supply to perforator flaps. Clin Plast Surg. 2003;30:331-42, v pubmed..Hence, perforator flaps, when dissected to the underlying source vessels, involve tracing vessels either between the deep tissues, whether muscle tendon or bone, or through the deep tissues, usually muscle. ..
- Poon I, Goodall K, Phipps S, Chow J, Pagler E, Andrews D, et al. Mice deficient in heparanase exhibit impaired dendritic cell migration and reduced airway inflammation. Eur J Immunol. 2014;44:1016-30 pubmed publisher..These findings establish an important role for heparanase in immunity and identify the enzyme as a potential target for regulation of an immune response. ..
- Etemadi N, Chopin M, Anderton H, Tanzer M, Rickard J, Abeysekera W, et al. TRAF2 regulates TNF and NF-ÎºB signalling to suppress apoptosis and skin inflammation independently of Sphingosine kinase 1. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..TRAF2 therefore has essential tissue specific functions that do not overlap with those of Sphk1. ..
- Januszewski A, Sachithanandan N, Karschimkus C, O Neal D, Yeung C, Alkatib N, et al. Non-invasive measures of tissue autofluorescence are increased in Type 1 diabetes complications and correlate with a non-invasive measure of vascular dysfunction. Diabet Med. 2012;29:726-33 pubmed publisher..Tissue advanced glycation end-products correlate with vascular risk factors, including circulating advanced glycation end-products. ..
- Gebhardt T, Whitney P, Zaid A, Mackay L, Brooks A, Heath W, et al. Different patterns of peripheral migration by memory CD4+ and CD8+ T cells. Nature. 2011;477:216-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results identify a complexity in memory T-cell migration, illuminating previously unappreciated differences between the CD4(+) and CD8(+) subsets. ..
- Nguyen T, Shaw J, Robinson C, Kawasaki R, Wang J, Kreis A, et al. Diabetic retinopathy is related to both endothelium-dependent and -independent responses of skin microvascular flow. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:1389-93 pubmed publisher..We examined the relationship of DR to endothelium-dependent and endothelium-independent responses in skin microvascular flow...
- Peel T, Bhatti D, De Boer J, Stratov I, Spelman D. Chronic cutaneous ulcers secondary to Haemophilus ducreyi infection. Med J Aust. 2010;192:348-50 pubmed..ducreyi infection leading to chronic lower limb ulcers. Both patients were Australian expatriates visiting Australia from the Pacific Islands--one from Papua New Guinea and the other from Vanuatu...
- McAllen R, Tanaka M, Ootsuka Y, McKinley M. Multiple thermoregulatory effectors with independent central controls. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010;109:27-33 pubmed publisher..This was ranked as: tail > back skin > BAT > fusimotor. These and other data indicate that the four thermoeffector outflows are driven by separate neural pathways, each regulated by independent brain temperature sensors. ..
- Ivanusic J. Size, neurochemistry, and segmental distribution of sensory neurons innervating the rat tibia. J Comp Neurol. 2009;517:276-83 pubmed publisher..skin were observed. The findings of the present study show that the periosteum, medullary cavity, and trabecular bone are all innervated by sensory neurons that have size and neurochemical profiles consistent with a role in nociception...
- Smyth I, Hacking D, Hilton A, Mukhamedova N, Meikle P, Ellis S, et al. A mouse model of harlequin ichthyosis delineates a key role for Abca12 in lipid homeostasis. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000192 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we identify Abca12 as a mediator of Abca1-regulated cellular cholesterol efflux, a finding that may have significant implications for other diseases of lipid metabolism and homeostasis, including atherosclerosis...
- Lazarou M, McKenzie M, Ohtake A, Thorburn D, Ryan M. Analysis of the assembly profiles for mitochondrial- and nuclear-DNA-encoded subunits into complex I. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4228-37 pubmed..Subunit exchange may also act as an efficient mechanism to prevent the accumulation of oxidatively damaged subunits that would otherwise be detrimental to mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and have the potential to cause disease. ..
- Naik E, Michalak E, Villunger A, Adams J, Strasser A. Ultraviolet radiation triggers apoptosis of fibroblasts and skin keratinocytes mainly via the BH3-only protein Noxa. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:415-24 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that UVR activates the Bcl-2-regulated apoptotic pathway predominantly through activation of Noxa and, depending on cellular context, Puma. ..
- Hoi A, Hickey M, Hall P, Yamana J, O Sullivan K, Santos L, et al. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor deficiency attenuates macrophage recruitment, glomerulonephritis, and lethality in MRL/lpr mice. J Immunol. 2006;177:5687-96 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest MIF as a critical effector of organ injury in SLE. ..
- Lim M, Honisett S, Sparkes C, Komesaroff P, Kompa A, Krum H. Differential effect of urotensin II on vascular tone in normal subjects and patients with chronic heart failure. Circulation. 2004;109:1212-4 pubmed..The present observations support the contention that the U-II system may be a potentially important target for pharmacological blockade in the treatment of this condition. ..
- Zomer E, de Ridder I, Kompa A, Komesaroff P, Gilbert R, Krum H. Effect of urotensin II on skin microvessel tone in diabetic patients without heart failure or essential hypertension. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2008;35:1147-50 pubmed publisher..9 +/- 411.3 vs 1984.4 +/- 410.7 AFUs, respectively). In conclusion, UII causes net vasoconstriction in DM. The UII-induced increases in peripheral vascular tone may contribute to DM-related cardiovascular complications. ..
- Leow L, Pintens S, Pigott P, Whitfeld M. Erythema induratum - a hypersensitivity reaction to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Aust Fam Physician. 2006;35:521-2 pubmed..Distinctive and diagnostic histopathology comprises a septolobular panniculitis, necrosis, granulomatous inflammation and vasculitis...
- Overgaard N, Cruz J, Bridge J, Nel H, Frazer I, La Gruta N, et al. CD4+CD8?+ double-positive T cells in skin-draining lymph nodes respond to inflammatory signals from the skin. J Leukoc Biol. 2017;102:837-844 pubmed publisher..The high degree of aggregate contamination and overestimation of DP abundance using conventional analysis techniques may explain discrepancies reported in the literature for DP T cell origin, phenotype, and function. ..