Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Topic: signal transduction
Publications167 found, 100 shown here
- Drew B, Carey A, Natoli A, Formosa M, Vizi D, Reddy Luthmoodoo M, et al. Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein infusion modulates fatty acid metabolism in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:572-81 pubmed publisher..The phospholipid component of rHDL also has the potentially undesirable effect of increasing circulating NEFA. ..
- Roberts V, Lu B, Rajakumar S, Cowan P, Dwyer K. The CD39-adenosinergic axis in the pathogenesis of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Purinergic Signal. 2013;9:135-43 pubmed publisher..This review aims to examine the role of adenosine receptor signalling and the ecto-nucleotidases, CD39 and CD73, in IRI, with a particular focus on renal IRI. ..
- Khoo P, Allan K, Willoughby L, Brumby A, Richardson H. In Drosophila, RhoGEF2 cooperates with activated Ras in tumorigenesis through a pathway involving Rho1-Rok-Myosin-II and JNK signalling. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:661-78 pubmed publisher..Overall, our analysis highlights the need for further analysis of the Rok-Myosin-II pathway in cooperation with Ras in human cancers. ..
- Akbarzadeh S, Ji H, Frecklington D, Marmy Conus N, Mok Y, Bowes L, et al. Mixed lineage kinase 2 interacts with clathrin and influences clathrin-coated vesicle trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:36280-7 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for MLK2 and the stress-signaling pathway at sites of clathrin activity in vesicle formation or trafficking. ..
- Kanellakis P, Pomilio G, Walker C, Husband A, Huang J, Nestel P, et al. A novel antioxidant 3,7-dihydroxy-isoflav-3-ene (DHIF) inhibits neointimal hyperplasia after vessel injury attenuating reactive oxygen species and nuclear factor-kappaB signaling. Atherosclerosis. 2009;204:66-72 pubmed publisher..DHIF's ability to attenuate NF-kappaB activation suggests that it may not only be useful in preventing restenosis but also in attenuating atherosclerosis. ..
- Itman C, Small C, Griswold M, Nagaraja A, Matzuk M, Brown C, et al. Developmentally regulated SMAD2 and SMAD3 utilization directs activin signaling outcomes. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1688-700 pubmed publisher..In transgenic mice with altered activin bioactivity that display fertility phenotypes, Gja1 and Serpina5 are significantly altered. Thus, differential SMAD utilization in response to activin features during Sertoli cell maturation. ..
- Ahmed N, Abubaker K, Findlay J, Quinn M. Epithelial mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cell-like phenotypes facilitate chemoresistance in recurrent ovarian cancer. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2010;10:268-78 pubmed..We propose the molecular targeting of distinct 'EMT transformed cancer stem-like cells' and suggest ways that may improve the efficacy of current chemotherapeutic regimens much needed for the management of this disease. ..
- Jones K, Roche M, Gantier M, Begum N, Honjo T, CARADONNA S, et al. X4 and R5 HIV-1 have distinct post-entry requirements for uracil DNA glycosylase during infection of primary cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:18603-14 pubmed publisher..These differences may result from activation of distinct signaling cascades and/or infection of divergent T-lymphocyte subpopulations. ..
- Markman B, Dienstmann R, Tabernero J. Targeting the PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway--beyond rapalogs. Oncotarget. 2010;1:530-43 pubmed..It is hoped that these agents will circumvent some of the shortcomings of the rapalogs and lead to meaningful benefits for cancer patients. ..
- Ernst M, Ramsay R. Colorectal cancer mouse models: integrating inflammation and the stroma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;27:39-50 pubmed publisher..They confer molecular links between inflammation, stroma, the stem cell niche, and neoplastic cell growth. ..
- Whitham M, Chan M, Pal M, Matthews V, Prelovsek O, Lunke S, et al. Contraction-induced interleukin-6 gene transcription in skeletal muscle is regulated by c-Jun terminal kinase/activator protein-1. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10771-9 pubmed publisher..Importantly, exercise did not increase IL-6 mRNA expression in skeletal muscle-specific JNK-deficient mice. These data identify a novel contraction-mediated transcriptional regulatory pathway for IL-6 in skeletal muscle. ..
- Loi S, Dushyanthen S, Beavis P, Salgado R, Denkert C, Savas P, et al. RAS/MAPK Activation Is Associated with Reduced Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Therapeutic Cooperation Between MEK and PD-1/PD-L1 Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1499-509 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Ras/MAPK activation and MHC expression may be predictive biomarkers of response to immune checkpoint inhibitors. ..
- Willoughby L, Manent J, Allan K, Lee H, Portela M, Wiede F, et al. Differential regulation of protein tyrosine kinase signalling by Dock and the PTP61F variants. FEBS J. 2017;284:2231-2250 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Dock selectively enhances the PTP61Fm-mediated attenuation of InR signalling and underscores the specificity of PTPs and the importance of adaptor proteins in regulating PTP function in vivo. ..
- Taylor R, Wang H, Wilkinson S, Richards M, Britt K, Vaillant F, et al. Lineage enforcement by inductive mesenchyme on adult epithelial stem cells across developmental germ layers. Stem Cells. 2009;27:3032-42 pubmed publisher..In order to use adult epithelial SCs in regenerative medicine, we must additionally regulate their intrinsic properties to prevent (or enable) transdifferentiation in specified SC niches...
- Puthalakath H, O Reilly L, Gunn P, Lee L, Kelly P, Huntington N, et al. ER stress triggers apoptosis by activating BH3-only protein Bim. Cell. 2007;129:1337-49 pubmed..These results define the molecular mechanisms of ER stress-induced apoptosis and identify targets for therapeutic intervention in ER stress-related diseases. ..
- Hirokawa Y, Tikoo A, Huynh J, Utermark T, Hanemann C, Giovannini M, et al. A clue to the therapy of neurofibromatosis type 2: NF2/merlin is a PAK1 inhibitor. Cancer J. 2004;10:20-6 pubmed
- Xu Y, Harder K, Huntington N, Hibbs M, Tarlinton D. Lyn tyrosine kinase: accentuating the positive and the negative. Immunity. 2005;22:9-18 pubmed..Here, we review the outcomes of altered Lyn activity within the framework of B cell development and differentiation and the circumstances that appear to dictate the outcome. ..
- Khong T, Sharkey J, Spencer A. The effect of azacitidine on interleukin-6 signaling and nuclear factor-kappaB activation and its in vitro and in vivo activity against multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2008;93:860-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that azacitidine demonstrates novel and highly relevant anti-myeloma effects and warrants further evaluation in a clinical context. ..
- Achen M, Stacker S. Molecular control of lymphatic metastasis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1131:225-34 pubmed publisher..This article provides an overview of the molecular mechanisms that control lymphatic metastasis and discusses potential therapeutic approaches for inhibiting this process in human cancer. ..
- Yang S, Wang K, Parkington H, Chen C. Involvement of tetrodotoxin-resistant Na+ current and protein kinase C in the action of growth hormone (GH)-releasing hormone on primary cultured somatotropes from GH-green fluorescent protein transgenic mice. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4726-35 pubmed publisher..An increase in the TTX-R Na+ current may contribute to the GHRH-induced exocytosis of GH granules from mouse somatotropes. ..
- Akiyama T, Dass C, Choong P. Novel therapeutic strategy for osteosarcoma targeting osteoclast differentiation, bone-resorbing activity, and apoptosis pathway. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7:3461-9 pubmed publisher..This review article will attempt to discuss these issues in term. ..
- Cheng H, Johnson T, Mills R, Chong Y, Chan K, Culvenor J. Allosteric networks governing regulation and catalysis of Src-family protein tyrosine kinases: implications for disease-associated kinases. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;37:93-101 pubmed publisher..4. Further investigations to decipher the roles of the hydrophobic spine residues in regulation and catalysis of SFKs will benefit the development of therapeutic SFK inhibitors for cancer treatment. ..
- Michell D, Andrews K, Chin Dusting J. Endothelial dysfunction in hypertension: the role of arginase. Front Biosci (Schol Ed). 2011;3:946-60 pubmed..These pathways may offer alternative mechanisms to treat the complications associated with hypertension rather than the conventional therapies that aim to lower blood pressure. ..
- Day F, Ruth K, Thompson D, Lunetta K, Pervjakova N, Chasman D, et al. Large-scale genomic analyses link reproductive aging to hypothalamic signaling, breast cancer susceptibility and BRCA1-mediated DNA repair. Nat Genet. 2015;47:1294-1303 pubmed publisher..Mendelian randomization analyses supported a causal effect of later ANM on breast cancer risk (∼6% increase in risk per year; P = 3 × 10(-14)), likely mediated by prolonged sex hormone exposure rather than DDR mechanisms. ..
- Sominsky L, Ziko I, Spencer S. Neonatal overfeeding disrupts pituitary ghrelin signalling in female rats long-term; Implications for the stress response. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173498 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for how females may respond to stress throughout life, suggesting the way ghrelin modifies the stress response at the level of the pituitary may be less efficient in the neonatally overfed. ..
- Palmer C, Duette G, Wagner M, Henstridge D, Saleh S, Pereira C, et al. Metabolically active CD4+ T cells expressing Glut1 and OX40 preferentially harbor HIV during inÂ vitro infection. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:3319-3332 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, infection of CD4+ T cells is limited by p110Î³ PI3K inhibition. Modulating glucose metabolism may limit cellular activation and prevent residual HIV replication in 'virologically suppressed' cART-treated HIV+ persons. ..
- Monaghan K, Khong T, Burns C, Spencer A. The novel JAK inhibitor CYT387 suppresses multiple signalling pathways, prevents proliferation and induces apoptosis in phenotypically diverse myeloma cells. Leukemia. 2011;25:1891-9 pubmed publisher..Importantly, apoptosis was also induced in primary patient MM cells (n=6) with CYT387 as a single agent, and again synergy was seen when combined with conventional therapies. ..
- O Reilly L, Ekert P, Harvey N, Marsden V, Cullen L, Vaux D, et al. Caspase-2 is not required for thymocyte or neuronal apoptosis even though cleavage of caspase-2 is dependent on both Apaf-1 and caspase-9. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:832-41 pubmed..Caspase-2 processing does not occur in thymocytes lacking Apaf-1 or caspase-9, suggesting that in this cell type, activation of caspase-2 occurs downstream of apoptosome formation. ..
- Han Y, Masaki T, Hurst L, Ikezumi Y, Trzaskos J, Atkins R, et al. Extracellular signal-regulated kinase-dependent interstitial macrophage proliferation in the obstructed mouse kidney. Nephrology (Carlton). 2008;13:411-8 pubmed publisher..These studies show that accumulation of interstitial macrophages in the obstructed kidney is, in part, dependent upon the ERK signalling pathway. ..
- Szczepny A, Hogarth C, Young J, Loveland K. Identification of Hedgehog signaling outcomes in mouse testis development using a hanging drop-culture system. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:258-63 pubmed publisher..These novel results identify Hh target genes in the testis and demonstrate this signaling pathway likely affects cell survival and differentiation in the context of normal adult testis. ..
- Getachew R, Ballinger M, Burch M, Little P, Osman N. Characterisation of Ki11502 as a potent inhibitor of PDGF beta receptor-mediated proteoglycan synthesis in vascular smooth muscle cells. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;626:186-92 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that Ki11502 is a potent and selective inhibitor of PDGF beta receptor phosphorylation, proliferation and proteoglycan synthesis in human vascular smooth muscle cells. ..
- Little P, Bhattacharya R, Moreyra A, Korichneva I. Zinc and cardiovascular disease. Nutrition. 2010;26:1050-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the area of zinc homeostasis is emerging in cardiovascular disease research. The goal of this report is to review the current knowledge and suggest further avenues of research. ..
- Winbanks C, Wang B, Beyer C, Koh P, White L, Kantharidis P, et al. TGF-beta regulates miR-206 and miR-29 to control myogenic differentiation through regulation of HDAC4. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13805-14 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a novel mechanism of interaction between TGF-? and miR-206 and -29 in the regulation of myogenic differentiation through HDAC4. ..
- De Bond J, Li Q, Millar R, Clarke I, Smith J. Kisspeptin signaling is required for the luteinizing hormone response in anestrous ewes following the introduction of males. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57972 pubmed publisher..We conclude that introduction of male sheep to seasonally anestrous female sheep activates kisspeptin neurons and other cells in the hypothalamus, leading to increased GnRH/LH secretion...
- Jeong W, Kim S, Sohn B, Park Y, Park E, Kim S, et al. Activation of YAP1 is associated with poor prognosis and response to taxanes in ovarian cancer. Anticancer Res. 2014;34:811-817 pubmed..Activation of YAP1 is significantly associated with prognosis and the YAP1 signature can predict response to taxane-based adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with ovarian cancer. ..
- Yip J, Alshahrani M, Beauchemin N, Jackson D. CEACAM1 regulates integrin Î±IIbÎ²3-mediated functions in platelets. Platelets. 2016;27:168-77 pubmed publisher..This study provides direct evidence that Ceacam1 is essential for normal integrin Î±IIbÎ²3-mediated platelet function and that disruption of mouse Ceacam1 induced moderate integrin Î±IIbÎ²3-mediated functional defects. ..
- Du X, Gao X, Jennings G, Dart A, Woodcock E. Preserved ventricular contractility in infarcted mouse heart overexpressing beta(2)-adrenergic receptors. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;279:H2456-63 pubmed..85%, P < 0.05) and LVEDP levels (6 +/- 0.3 vs. 9 +/- 0.8 mmHg, P < 0.05) were also lower in TG than in WT mice with large IS. Thus beta(2)-AR overexpression preserved LV contractility following MI without adverse consequence...
- Ahmed N, Oliva K, Wang Y, Quinn M, Rice G. Downregulation of urokinase plasminogen activator receptor expression inhibits Erk signalling with concomitant suppression of invasiveness due to loss of uPAR-beta1 integrin complex in colon cancer cells. Br J Cancer. 2003;89:374-84 pubmed..This novel paradigm of uPAR-integrin signalling may afford opportunities for alternative therapeutic strategies for the treatment of cancer. ..
- Fuchsberger M, Hochrein H, O Keeffe M. Activation of plasmacytoid dendritic cells. Immunol Cell Biol. 2005;83:571-7 pubmed..This review concentrates on the pathways to activation of pDC, examining the activating ligands, receptors and signalling molecules that are known to be involved, and the relevance of these activation pathways to human disease. ..
- Thomas H, Angstetra E, Fernandes R, Mariana L, Irawaty W, Jamieson E, et al. Perturbations in nuclear factor-kappaB or c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathways in pancreatic beta cells confer susceptibility to cytokine-induced cell death. Immunol Cell Biol. 2006;84:20-7 pubmed..Blocking NFkappaB has been proposed as a mechanism for protection of beta cells from cytokine-induced cell death in vivo. Our results suggest that this would make beta cells equally or more sensitive to cytokines. ..
- Marti M, Baum J, Rug M, Tilley L, Cowman A. Signal-mediated export of proteins from the malaria parasite to the host erythrocyte. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:587-92 pubmed..Recent data demonstrate that a specific NH(2)-terminal signal conserved across the genus Plasmodium plays a central role in this export process. ..
- Wilson O Brien A, DeHaan C, Rogers S. Mitogen-stimulated and rapamycin-sensitive glucose transporter 12 targeting and functional glucose transport in renal epithelial cells. Endocrinology. 2008;149:917-24 pubmed..Our results provide evidence for a link between GLUT12 protein trafficking, glucose transport and signaling molecules central to the control of metabolic disease processes. ..
- Liu K, Gualano R, Hibbs M, Anderson G, Bozinovski S. Epidermal growth factor receptor signaling to Erk1/2 and STATs control the intensity of the epithelial inflammatory responses to rhinovirus infection. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:9977-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that targeting EGFR may provide a selective therapy that dampens neutrophil-driven inflammation without compromising essential antiviral pathways mediated by pathogen recognition receptors such as TLR3. ..
- Callander G, Thomas W, Bathgate R. Prolonged RXFP1 and RXFP2 signaling can be explained by poor internalization and a lack of beta-arrestin recruitment. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C1058-66 pubmed publisher..The apparent lack of classical regulation for RXFP1 and RXFP2 provides the molecular basis for the prolonged signaling and physiological actions of relaxin and related peptides. ..
- Murphy K, Koopman R, Naim T, Leger B, Trieu J, Ibebunjo C, et al. Antibody-directed myostatin inhibition in 21-mo-old mice reveals novel roles for myostatin signaling in skeletal muscle structure and function. FASEB J. 2010;24:4433-42 pubmed publisher..These observations identify novel roles for myostatin in regulation of muscle mass and highlight the therapeutic potential of antibody-directed myostatin inhibition for sarcopenia...
- Nicholls C, Li H, Liu J. GAPDH: a common enzyme with uncommon functions. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012;39:674-9 pubmed publisher..The present mini review summarizes recent findings relating to the extraglycolytic functions of GAPDH and highlights the significant role this enzyme plays in regulating both cell survival and apoptotic death. ..
- Rafehi H, Ververis K, Karagiannis T. Controversies surrounding the clinical potential of cinnamon for the management of diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012;14:493-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, we discuss the mechanisms of action of cinnamon in the context of T2D and we highlight some of the associated controversies. ..
- Watts R, McAinch A, Dixon J, O Brien P, Cameron Smith D. Increased Smad signaling and reduced MRF expression in skeletal muscle from obese subjects. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:525-8 pubmed publisher..The major regulatory ligand may not be MSTN and further members of the TGF-?1 superfamily should be considered. ..
- Etemadi N, Chopin M, Anderton H, Tanzer M, Rickard J, Abeysekera W, et al. TRAF2 regulates TNF and NF-ÎºB signalling to suppress apoptosis and skin inflammation independently of Sphingosine kinase 1. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..TRAF2 therefore has essential tissue specific functions that do not overlap with those of Sphk1. ..
- Sims N. gp130 signaling in bone cell biology: multiple roles revealed by analysis of genetically altered mice. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;310:30-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together these results indicate multiple roles for gp130 cytokines in controlling osteoblasts and osteoclast function, including paracrine roles to mediate signaling between these two cell types. ..
- Testro A, Visvanathan K, Skinner N, Markovska V, Crowley P, Angus P, et al. Acute allograft rejection in human liver transplant recipients is associated with signaling through toll-like receptor 4. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26:155-63 pubmed publisher..This supports the theory that damage-associated structures signaling through TLR4 may be responsible for the early activation of alloimmune T-cells, favoring allograft rejection. ..
- Trapani J, Sutton V. Granzyme B: pro-apoptotic, antiviral and antitumor functions. Curr Opin Immunol. 2003;15:533-43 pubmed..The recent discovery of a triply mutated human granzyme B allele, whose product is predicted to possess a reduced capacity to induce cell death, opens the way for major progress in these areas in coming years. ..
- Mansell A, Brint E, Gould J, O Neill L, Hertzog P. Mal interacts with tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor (TRAF)-6 to mediate NF-kappaB activation by toll-like receptor (TLR)-2 and TLR4. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:37227-30 pubmed..MalE190A inhibited TLR2- and TLR4-mediated activation of NF-kappaB. These results identify a specific role for Mal in TLR-mediated signaling in regulating NF-kappaB-dependent gene transcription via its interaction with TRAF6. ..
- Turnley A, Faux C, Rietze R, Coonan J, Bartlett P. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 2 regulates neuronal differentiation by inhibiting growth hormone signaling. Nat Neurosci. 2002;5:1155-62 pubmed..These findings indicate that SOCS2 promotes neuronal differentiation by blocking growth hormone-mediated downregulation of Ngn1. ..
- Mansell A, Smith R, Doyle S, Gray P, Fenner J, Crack P, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 negatively regulates Toll-like receptor signaling by mediating Mal degradation. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:148-55 pubmed..The transient activation of Mal and subsequent SOCS-1-mediated degradation is a rapid and selective means of limiting primary innate immune response. ..
- Mukhamedova N, Escher G, D Souza W, Tchoua U, Grant A, Krozowski Z, et al. Enhancing apolipoprotein A-I-dependent cholesterol efflux elevates cholesterol export from macrophages in vivo. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:2312-22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that pathways of cholesterol efflux using apoA-I as an acceptor make a predominant contribution to cholesterol export from macrophages in vivo. ..
- McConell G, Manimmanakorn A, Lee Young R, Kemp B, Linden K, Wadley G. Differential attenuation of AMPK activation during acute exercise following exercise training or AICAR treatment. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:1422-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, 10 days of AICAR administration substantially mimics the effect of 10 days training on attenuating skeletal muscle AMPK activation in response to subsequent exercise. ..
- Burgess A. EGFR family: structure physiology signalling and therapeutic targets. Growth Factors. 2008;26:263-74 pubmed publisher..EGFR and erbB2 are frequently activated, over expressed or mutated in many common cancers and the antagonists and/or inhibitors of EGFR and/or erbB2 signalling have already been shown to have therapeutic benefits for cancer patients. ..
- Kansara M, Tsang M, Kodjabachian L, Sims N, Trivett M, Ehrich M, et al. Wnt inhibitory factor 1 is epigenetically silenced in human osteosarcoma, and targeted disruption accelerates osteosarcomagenesis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:837-51 pubmed publisher..These data lead us to suggest that derepression of Wnt signaling by targeting secreted Wnt antagonists in osteoblasts may increase susceptibility to osteosarcoma. ..
- Xu D, Holko M, Sadler A, Scott B, Higashiyama S, Berkofsky Fessler W, et al. Promyelocytic leukemia zinc finger protein regulates interferon-mediated innate immunity. Immunity. 2009;30:802-16 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the regulatory mechanisms of IFN signaling and the induction of innate antiviral immunity. ..
- Belz G, Kallies A. Effector and memory CD8+ T cell differentiation: toward a molecular understanding of fate determination. Curr Opin Immunol. 2010;22:279-85 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the recent progress in our understanding of the molecular wiring of this differentiation process. ..
- Wilkinson Berka J, Miller A, Binger K. Prorenin and the (pro)renin receptor: recent advances and implications for retinal development and disease. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2011;20:69-76 pubmed publisher..New functions for the (P)RR highlight previously unrecognized roles for this receptor in cellular events that may have implications for both the developing and diseased retina. ..
- Lekawanvijit S, Kompa A, Zhang Y, Wang B, Kelly D, Krum H. Myocardial infarction impairs renal function, induces renal interstitial fibrosis, and increases renal KIM-1 expression: implications for cardiorenal syndrome. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;302:H1884-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, renal impairment occurs early post-MI and is associated with hemodynamic and structural changes in the kidney possibly via activation of the Smad2 signaling pathway. ..
- Li R, Doherty J, Antonipillai J, Chen S, Devlin M, Visser K, et al. LIM kinase inhibition reduces breast cancer growth and invasiveness but systemic inhibition does not reduce metastasis in mice. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2013;30:483-95 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, metastasis to the liver was increased after administration of the inhibitor. These data raise a concern about the use of systemic LIMK inhibitors for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. ..
- Hill R, Wu Y, Gogos A, van den Buuse M. Sex-dependent alterations in BDNF-TrkB signaling in the hippocampus of reelin heterozygous mice: a role for sex steroid hormones. J Neurochem. 2013;126:389-99 pubmed publisher..These data may provide a better understanding of the interaction of Reelin and BDNF in the hippocampus, which may be involved in schizophrenia. ..
- Mauer J, Chaurasia B, Goldau J, Vogt M, Ruud J, Nguyen K, et al. Signaling by IL-6 promotes alternative activation of macrophages to limit endotoxemia and obesity-associated resistance to insulin. Nat Immunol. 2014;15:423-30 pubmed publisher..Our results identify signaling via IL-6 as an important determinant of the alternative activation of macrophages and assign an unexpected homeostatic role to IL-6 in limiting inflammation. ..
- Ho T, Vessey K, Cappai R, Dinet V, Mascarelli F, Ciccotosto G, et al. Amyloid precursor protein is required for normal function of the rod and cone pathways in the mouse retina. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29892 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that APP is not required for basic visual function, but that it is involved in modulating inner retinal circuitry. ..
- Ritchie R, Rosenkranz A, Huynh L, Stephenson T, Kaye D, Dusting G. Activation of IP prostanoid receptors prevents cardiomyocyte hypertrophy via cAMP-dependent signaling. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;287:H1179-85 pubmed..01, n = 5). Activation of IP receptors thus represents a novel approach to prevention of hypertrophy, and this effect is linked to cAMP-dependent signaling. ..
- Kalinina N, Agrotis A, Antropova Y, Ilyinskaya O, Smirnov V, Tararak E, et al. Smad expression in human atherosclerotic lesions: evidence for impaired TGF-beta/Smad signaling in smooth muscle cells of fibrofatty lesions. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:1391-6 pubmed..The lack of key TGF-beta signaling components in SMCs of fibrofatty lesions indicates impaired ability of these cells to initiate TGF-beta-mediated Smad-dependent transcriptional responses. ..
- McKenzie M, Dudek N, Mariana L, Chong M, Trapani J, Kay T, et al. Perforin and Fas induced by IFNgamma and TNFalpha mediate beta cell death by OT-I CTL. Int Immunol. 2006;18:837-46 pubmed..However, in the absence of perforin, the Fas/FasL pathway provides an alternative mechanism dependent on islet cell Fas upregulation by cytokines IFNgamma and TNFalpha. ..
- O Keeffe M, Fancke B, Suter M, Ramm G, Clark J, Wu L, et al. Nonplasmacytoid, high IFN-?-producing, bone marrow dendritic cells. J Immunol. 2012;188:3774-83 pubmed publisher..We propose that these DC constitute a novel bone marrow inflammatory DC type, ideally geared to linking innate and adaptive immune responses in bone marrow via their potent IFN-? production and high T cell stimulatory capacity. ..
- Woodcock E, Kistler P, Ju Y. Phosphoinositide signalling and cardiac arrhythmias. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;82:286-95 pubmed publisher..The aim of the present review is to outline current evidence that this signalling pathway can be a player in the initiation or maintenance of arrhythmias. ..
- Matthews V, Aström M, Chan M, Bruce C, Krabbe K, Prelovsek O, et al. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is produced by skeletal muscle cells in response to contraction and enhances fat oxidation via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase. Diabetologia. 2009;52:1409-18 pubmed publisher..These data identify BDNF as a contraction-inducible protein in skeletal muscle that is capable of enhancing lipid oxidation in skeletal muscle via activation of AMPK. ..
- Dewson G, Kratina T, Czabotar P, Day C, Adams J, Kluck R. Bak activation for apoptosis involves oligomerization of dimers via their alpha6 helices. Mol Cell. 2009;36:696-703 pubmed publisher..We conclude that alpha6:alpha6 interaction occurs during Bak oligomerization and proapoptotic function, but we find no evidence that zinc binding to that interface regulates apoptosis. ..
- Lin E, Irvine J, Cao A, Alexander A, Love J, Patel R, et al. Nitroxyl (HNO) stimulates soluble guanylyl cyclase to suppress cardiomyocyte hypertrophy and superoxide generation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34892 pubmed publisher..HNO donors may thus represent innovative pharmacotherapy for cardiac hypertrophy. ..
- Jo E, Li S, Liang Q, Zhang X, Wang H, Herbert T, et al. Chronic activation of PPARα with fenofibrate reduces autophagic proteins in the liver of mice independent of FGF21. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173676 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that chronic stimulation of PPARα may suppress the autophagy capacity in the liver as a result of reduced content of a number of autophagy-associated proteins independent of FGF21. ..
- Hayward N, Wilmott J, Waddell N, Johansson P, Field M, Nones K, et al. Whole-genome landscapes of major melanoma subtypes. Nature. 2017;545:175-180 pubmed publisher..The whole-genome mutation landscape of melanoma reveals diverse carcinogenic processes across its subtypes, some unrelated to sun exposure, and extends potential involvement of the non-coding genome in its pathogenesis. ..
- Phelan D, Price G, Liu Y, Dorow D. Activated JNK phosphorylates the c-terminal domain of MLK2 that is required for MLK2-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:10801-10 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the apoptotic activity of MLK2 is dependent on the C-terminal domain that is the main target for MLK2 phosphorylation by activated JNK. ..
- Morris J, Huynh H, Vasilevski O, Woodcock E. Alpha1-adrenergic receptor signaling is localized to caveolae in neonatal rat cardiomyocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2006;41:17-25 pubmed..PLCbeta3 was primarily observed in heavier membranes. We conclude that PIP2 in cardiomyocyte sarcolemma is compartmentalized and that alpha1-adrenergic receptor signaling is localized to caveolae. ..
- Hagemeyer C, Peter K. Targeting the platelet integrin GPIIb/IIIa. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:4119-33 pubmed
- Kazutaka S, Winnall W, Muir J, Hedger M. Regulation of Sertoli cell activin A and inhibin B by tumour necrosis factor ? and interleukin 1?: interaction with follicle-stimulating hormone/adenosine 3',5'-cyclic phosphate signalling. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;335:195-203 pubmed publisher..It is anticipated that these interactions play important roles in the fine control of events during the cycle of the seminiferous epithelium and in the inhibition of spermatogenesis during inflammation. ..
- Smith E, Holt S, Hewitson T. FGF23 activates injury-primed renal fibroblasts via FGFR4-dependent signalling and enhancement of TGF-Î² autoinduction. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2017;92:63-78 pubmed publisher..These findings strengthen the rationale for exploring therapeutic inhibition of FGFR4 or restoration of Î±-Klotho as upstream regulators of off-target FGF23 effects. ..