Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on pregnancy in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- Galbally M, Lewis A, Ijzendoorn M, Permezel M. The role of oxytocin in mother-infant relations: a systematic review of human studies. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2011;19:1-14 pubmed publisher..As the production of oxytocin is by no means restricted to mothers, the extension of the oxytocin studies to fathering, as well as to alloparental caregiving, would be an intriguing next step. ..
- Carolan M. Maternal age ?45 years and maternal and perinatal outcomes: a review of the evidence. Midwifery. 2013;29:479-89 pubmed publisher..Best outcomes appear to be linked to pre-existing maternal health, and pregnancy care at tertiary centres may also contribute. This information should be used to counsel women aged ?45 years who are contemplating pregnancy. ..
- Lewis S, Lucas R, Halliday J, Ponsonby A. Vitamin D deficiency and pregnancy: from preconception to birth. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010;54:1092-102 pubmed publisher..This review outlines the emerging evidence that maternal vitamin D status during pregnancy is important for the health of the mother and offspring across a range of possible health outcomes. ..
- George A, Lang G, Johnson M, Ridge A, de Silva A, Ajwani S, et al. The evaluation of an oral health education program for midwives in Australia. Women Birth. 2016;29:208-13 pubmed publisher..The program is accessible and acceptable to midwives and can potentially be transferable to other antenatal care providers. ..
- Duncan J, Cock M, Scheerlinck J, Westcott K, McLean C, Harding R, et al. White matter injury after repeated endotoxin exposure in the preterm ovine fetus. Pediatr Res. 2002;52:941-9 pubmed..Thus, repeated exposure of the preterm ovine fetus to LPS causes neuropathology resembling that of cerebral palsy and provides a robust model for exploring the etiology, prevention, and treatment of white matter damage. ..
- Coultas L, Pellegrini M, Visvader J, Lindeman G, Chen L, Adams J, et al. Bfk: a novel weakly proapoptotic member of the Bcl-2 protein family with a BH3 and a BH2 region. Cell Death Differ. 2003;10:185-92 pubmed..Low amounts of Bfk were found in stomach, ovary, bone marrow and spleen, but its level in the mammary gland rose markedly during pregnancy, suggesting that Bfk may play a role in mammary development. ..
- Buist A, Austin M, Hayes B, Speelman C, Bilszta J, Gemmill A, et al. Postnatal mental health of women giving birth in Australia 2002-2004: findings from the beyondblue National Postnatal Depression Program. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2008;42:66-73 pubmed..Specific State-related issues, such as availability of specialist perinatal mental health services and liaison between treating health professionals, also need to be considered. ..
- Ataide R, Hasang W, Wilson D, Beeson J, Mwapasa V, Molyneux M, et al. Using an improved phagocytosis assay to evaluate the effect of HIV on specific antibodies to pregnancy-associated malaria. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10807 pubmed publisher..HIV was found to affect mainly the acquisition of antibodies to pregnancy-specific malaria in primigravidae. Further studies of the relationship between opsonising antibodies to malaria in pregnancy and HIV are indicated. ..
- Skilton M, Bonnet F, Begg L, Juonala M, Kahonen M, Lehtimaki T, et al. Childbearing, child-rearing, cardiovascular risk factors, and progression of carotid intima-media thickness: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns study. Stroke. 2010;41:1332-7 pubmed publisher..Mechanisms that underlie this observation possibly include parity-induced changes in nontraditional risk factors or an acute influence of pregnancy itself. ..
- Massie J, Curnow L, Gaffney L, Carlin J, Francis I. Declining prevalence of cystic fibrosis since the introduction of newborn screening. Arch Dis Child. 2010;95:531-3 pubmed publisher..This is principally due to at-risk couples detected by newborn screening electing to use prenatal testing on subsequent pregnancies. ..
- Feng G, Simpson J, Chaluluka E, Molyneux M, Rogerson S. Decreasing burden of malaria in pregnancy in Malawian women and its relationship to use of intermittent preventive therapy or bed nets. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12012 pubmed publisher..High bed net coverage, and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance, may be contributing to its apparent loss of effectiveness. ..
- Ackerman I, Ngian G, Van Doornum S, Briggs A. A systematic review of interventions to improve knowledge and self-management skills concerning contraception, pregnancy and breastfeeding in people with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol. 2016;35:33-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, information regarding family planning, pregnancy or breastfeeding represents a negligible part of published RA educational interventions, with scope to develop targeted resources. ..
- Liu D, Baker H. Disordered zona pellucida-induced acrosome reaction and failure of in vitro fertilization in patients with unexplained infertility. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:74-80 pubmed..Up to 29% of patients with unexplained infertility with normal semen analysis may have this condition, which should be diagnosed and treated with ICSI rather then standard IVF. ..
- Grodski S, Jung C, Kertes P, Davies M, Banting S. Phaeochromocytoma in pregnancy. Intern Med J. 2006;36:604-6 pubmed..Medical preparation and treatment of hypertension is essential for safe surgery. Timing of adrenalectomy is either during the second trimester or as a staged procedure after Caesarean section delivery. ..
- Spencer S, Tilbrook A. Neonatal overfeeding alters adult anxiety and stress responsiveness. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009;34:1133-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, while neonatal litter size affects long-term body weight regulation, it can also alter long-term activity, anxiety and stress responsiveness, and the degree to which it does so appears to be sex-dependent. ..
- Cheong J, Cowan F. Neonatal arterial ischaemic stroke: obstetric issues. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009;14:267-71 pubmed publisher..For preterm babies, fetal heart abnormalities, twin-twin transfusion and hypoglycaemia are recognised risk factors. Larger cohort studies are required to elucidate further the multifactorial pathway to perinatal arterial stroke. ..
- Hooker L, Samaraweera N, Agius P, Taft A. Intimate partner violence and the experience of early motherhood: A cross-sectional analysis of factors associated with a poor experience of motherhood. Midwifery. 2016;34:88-94 pubmed publisher..Greater awareness of factors associated with intimate partner violence and mothering would enable health care professionals and policy makers to improve support for women and children experiencing violence. ..
- Murray C, Goh J, Fynes M, Carey M. Urinary and faecal incontinence following delayed primary repair of obstetric genital fistula. BJOG. 2002;109:828-32 pubmed..This study demonstrates the high rate of successful closure of the fistula in a specialised fistula unit, but highlights the problem of persistent urinary incontinence following closure. ..
- Weston G, Chaves N, Bowditch J. Sheehan's syndrome presenting post-partum with diabetes insipidus. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;45:249-50 pubmed
- Lowe A, Thien F, Stoney R, Bennett C, Hosking C, Hill D, et al. Associations between fatty acids in colostrum and breast milk and risk of allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008;38:1745-51 pubmed publisher..In this cohort of high-risk children, a number of modest associations were observed between FA concentrations in colostrum and breast milk and allergic disease outcomes. Further research in this area with larger sample sizes is needed. ..
- Tran T, Tran T, Fisher J. Validation of three psychometric instruments for screening for perinatal common mental disorders in men in the north of Vietnam. J Affect Disord. 2012;136:104-109 pubmed publisher..Although not suitable to detect PCMD in women, the GHQ-12 is suitable to detect PCMD in men. ..
- Carolan M. Women's experiences of gestational diabetes self-management: a qualitative study. Midwifery. 2013;29:637-45 pubmed publisher..The process is largely facilitated by the women's interest in maximising fetal health which may make them receptive to interventions to improve GDM control and to prevent type 2 diabetes in the future. ..
- Woolhouse H, Perlen S, Gartland D, Brown S. Physical health and recovery in the first 18 months postpartum: does cesarean section reduce long-term morbidity?. Birth. 2012;39:221-9 pubmed publisher..Cesarean section does not result in women experiencing less overall morbidity in the postpartum period compared with women who have a spontaneous vaginal birth. ..
- McDonald E, Brown S. Does method of birth make a difference to when women resume sex after childbirth?. BJOG. 2013;120:823-30 pubmed publisher..Most women having a first birth do not resume vaginal sex until later than 6 weeks postpartum. Women who have an operative vaginal birth, caesarean section or perineal tear or episiotomy appear to delay longer. ..
- Fung A, Wilson D, Lappas M, Howard M, Barnes M, O Donoghue F, et al. Effects of maternal obstructive sleep apnoea on fetal growth: a prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68057 pubmed publisher..OSA may be associated with reduced fetal growth in late pregnancy. Further evaluation is warranted to establish whether OSA may be an important contributor to adverse perinatal outcome, including stillbirth. ..
- van Exel E, Koopman J, Bodegom D, Meij J, Knijff P, Ziem J, et al. Effect of APOE ?4 allele on survival and fertility in an adverse environment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179497 pubmed publisher..Its adverse associations in affluent modern populations with later onset diseases of aging further characterize APOE-?4 as an example of antagonistic pleiotropy. ..
- Bath M. Simple and efficient in vitro fertilization with cryopreserved C57BL/6J mouse sperm. Biol Reprod. 2003;68:19-23 pubmed..The production of 2-cell embryos and the birth of live pups at these rates indicate that cryopreservation of sperm is a practical way to archive the haploid genome of genetically altered C57BL/6J mice. ..
- Polglase G, Wallace M, Morgan D, Hooper S. Increases in lung expansion alter pulmonary hemodynamics in fetal sheep. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;101:273-82 pubmed..We suggest that the increase in PBF associated with pressure equalization following TO reflects an increase in growth of the pulmonary vascular bed, leading to an increase in its cross-sectional area. ..
- Vajda F, Lander C, Hitchcock A, Graham J, Solinas C, O BRIEN T, et al. Changing Australian prescribing patterns for antiepileptic drugs in pregnancy and their possible consequences. J Clin Neurosci. 2007;14:611-7 pubmed..Reporting of data for this paper took into account the 12 months follow-up period for each pregnancy outcome, thus in effect making the evaluation period 21 months for each pregnancy and its outcome. ..
- Lappas M, Rice G. Transcriptional regulation of the processes of human labour and delivery. Placenta. 2009;30 Suppl A:S90-5 pubmed publisher..We also propose that coordination of these different pathways is achieved by competition for common cofactors that control the activity of NRs in human gestational tissues. ..
- Jaworowski A, Fernandes L, Yosaatmadja F, Feng G, Mwapasa V, Molyneux M, et al. Relationship between human immunodeficiency virus type 1 coinfection, anemia, and levels and function of antibodies to variant surface antigens in pregnancy-associated malaria. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009;16:312-9 pubmed publisher..In multigravid pregnant women with malaria, impaired serum opsonic activity may contribute to anemia and possibly to the decreased immunity to pregnancy-associated malaria associated with HIV-1. ..
- Forster D, McEgan K, Ford R, Moorhead A, Opie G, Walker S, et al. Diabetes and antenatal milk expressing: a pilot project to inform the development of a randomised controlled trial. Midwifery. 2011;27:209-14 pubmed publisher..Until such evidence is available, the authors suggest that the routine encouragement of antenatal milk expressing in women with diabetes in pregnancy should cease. ..
- Larman M, Gardner D. Vitrification of mouse embryos with super-cooled air. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:1462-6 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that a closed vitrification device (Rapid-i), which does not require direct liquid nitrogen contact for vitrification, is appropriate for vitrification and long-term storage of mouse embryos. ..
- Brown S, Yelland J, Sutherland G, Baghurst P, Robinson J. Stressful life events, social health issues and low birthweight in an Australian population-based birth cohort: challenges and opportunities in antenatal care. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:196 pubmed publisher..Developing the evidence base and infrastructure necessary in order for antenatal services to respond effectively to the social circumstances of women's lives is long overdue. ..
- O Shea J, Davis P, Doyle L. Maternal preeclampsia and risk of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in preterm infants. Pediatr Res. 2012;71:210-4 pubmed publisher..We compared the incidence of BPD (oxygen requirement at 36 wks' postmenstrual age) in the PE group (infants exposed to PE) with that in the remainder (nonexposed infants). We also contrasted results with comparable reported studies. ..
- Ng M, Manikappa S. Postpartum seizure and ischaemic stroke following dural puncture and epidural blood patch. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2012;40:347-51 pubmed..The difficulties in definitively elucidating the cause of seizures and cerebral infarction in the postpartum period and the impact of anaesthetic interventions in this case are discussed. ..
- Than K, Tin K, La T, Thant K, Myint T, Beeson J, et al. The potential of task shifting selected maternal interventions to auxiliary midwives in Myanmar: a mixed-method study. BMC Public Health. 2018;18:99 pubmed publisher..With the current national government's commitment towards one AMW in one village, this study highlights the potential for shifting specific maternal lifesaving tasks to AMWs. ..
- Ymer S, Stevenson J, Herington A. Guinea pig serum contains a specific high affinity growth hormone-binding protein with novel ligand specificity. Endocrinology. 1997;138:3577-86 pubmed..The identification of serum GHBP and the novel ligand specificity, which is also expressed by the liver membrane GHR, argue against the view that the guinea pig has a defective GHBP. ..
- Jaworowski A, Kamwendo D, Ellery P, Sonza S, Mwapasa V, Tadesse E, et al. CD16+ monocyte subset preferentially harbors HIV-1 and is expanded in pregnant Malawian women with Plasmodium falciparum malaria and HIV-1 infection. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:38-42 pubmed..These data suggest a role for CD16(+) monocytes in the pathogenesis of maternal malaria and HIV-1 infections. ..
- Holmes W, Hoy D, Lockley A, Thammavongxay K, Bounnaphol S, Xeuatvongsa A, et al. Influences on maternal and child nutrition in the highlands of the northern Lao PDR. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16:537-45 pubmed..The study also demonstrated that with appropriate training, supervision and support, local teams are able to plan and conduct a large-scale qualitative study. ..
- Feng G, Aitken E, Yosaatmadja F, Kalilani L, Meshnick S, Jaworowski A, et al. Antibodies to variant surface antigens of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes are associated with protection from treatment failure and the development of anemia in pregnancy. J Infect Dis. 2009;200:299-306 pubmed publisher..Antibodies to VSA-PAM develop with gravidity and block placental adhesion or opsonize IEs for phagocytic clearance, helping to prevent maternal anemia and low birth weight in infants...
- Malhotra A, Menahem S, Shekleton P, Gillam L. Medical and ethical considerations in twin pregnancies discordant for serious cardiac disease. J Perinatol. 2009;29:662-7 pubmed publisher..Such an approach will assist parents in their very difficult decision making. ..
- Wall C, Santamaria J. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an unusual cause of acute limb compartment syndrome. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2010;38:560-2 pubmed..We recommend that intensive care units develop clinical practice guidelines for the use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation therapy in order to minimise the risk of similar adverse events in the future. ..
- Dennerstein G, Ellis D, Reed C, Bennett C. Pathogenicity of non-albicans yeasts in the vagina. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2011;15:33-6 pubmed publisher..Non-albicans yeasts found on culture of a vaginal swab can probably be ignored. The clinician's efforts should be concentrated on making a correct diagnosis without assuming that NAY are pathogenic. ..
- Woolhouse H, Gartland D, Hegarty K, Donath S, Brown S. Depressive symptoms and intimate partner violence in the 12 months after childbirth: a prospective pregnancy cohort study. BJOG. 2012;119:315-23 pubmed publisher..Intimate partner violence is common among women reporting postnatal depressive symptoms and may be an important factor for health professionals to consider in their management. ..
- Gartland D, Lansakara N, Flood M, Brown S. Assessing obstetric risk factors for maternal morbidity: congruity between medical records and mothers' reports of obstetric exposures. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;206:152.e1-10 pubmed publisher..Using primary data sources (eg, partograms) with clearly defined prespecified criteria will provide the most accurate obstetric exposure and outcome data. ..
- Suresh A, Liu A, Poulton A, Quinton A, Amer Z, Mongelli M, et al. Comparison of maternal abdominal subcutaneous fat thickness and body mass index as markers for pregnancy outcomes: A stratified cohort study. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;52:420-6 pubmed publisher..As SFT is considered a surrogate measure for visceral fat, these results suggest that central obesity is a stronger risk factor than general adiposity in pregnancy. ..
- Prior L, Davern P, Burke S, Lim K, Armitage J, Head G. Exposure to a high-fat diet during development alters leptin and ghrelin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2014;63:338-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that offspring from mothers consuming an HFD exhibit an adverse cardiovascular profile in adulthood because of altered central hypothalamic sensitivity to leptin and ghrelin. ..
- Greening D, Nguyen H, Elgass K, Simpson R, Salamonsen L. Human Endometrial Exosomes Contain Hormone-Specific Cargo Modulating Trophoblast Adhesive Capacity: Insights into Endometrial-Embryo Interactions. Biol Reprod. 2016;94:38 pubmed publisher..Thus, exosomes contribute to the endometrial-embryo interactions within the human uterine microenvironment essential for successful implantation. ..
- Eldar Geva T, Meagher S, Healy D, MacLachlan V, Breheny S, Wood C. Effect of intramural, subserosal, and submucosal uterine fibroids on the outcome of assisted reproductive technology treatment. Fertil Steril. 1998;70:687-91 pubmed..Surgical or medical treatment should be considered in infertile patients who have intramural and/or submucosal fibroids before resorting to ART treatment. ..
- Inder T, Wells S, Mogridge N, Spencer C, Volpe J. Defining the nature of the cerebral abnormalities in the premature infant: a qualitative magnetic resonance imaging study. J Pediatr. 2003;143:171-9 pubmed..We have defined a distinct pattern of diffuse white and gray matter abnormality in the extremely immature infant. ..
- Kelsall H, Sim M, Ikin J, Forbes A, McKenzie D, Glass D, et al. Reproductive health of male Australian veterans of the 1991 Gulf War. BMC Public Health. 2007;7:79 pubmed..0; 95% CI 0.6-1.6). The numbers of cancers and deaths in children were too small to draw any firm conclusions. The results of this study do not show an increased risk of adverse reproductive outcome in Australian male Gulf War veterans. ..
- Tippett E, Fernandes L, Rogerson S, Jaworowski A. A novel flow cytometric phagocytosis assay of malaria-infected erythrocytes. J Immunol Methods. 2007;325:42-50 pubmed..These assays have the advantage over other malaria phagocytosis assays in that they are rapid, simple and specific to malaria-infected cells and avoid potential bias associated with manual counting. ..
- Morley R, Carlin J, Pasco J, Wark J, Ponsonby A. Maternal 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration and offspring birth size: effect modification by infant VDR genotype. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63:802-4 pubmed publisher..Sample size was insufficient to investigate effect modification by the other VDR polymorphisms. These preliminary findings suggest that studies of maternal vitamin D status and birth size may need to take VDR genotype into account. ..
- Siew M, Wallace M, Kitchen M, Lewis R, Fouras A, Te Pas A, et al. Inspiration regulates the rate and temporal pattern of lung liquid clearance and lung aeration at birth. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:1888-95 pubmed publisher..8 +/- 5.3% of EBMs were associated with a decrease in FRC. We conclude that lung aeration is predominantly achieved by inspiratory efforts and that EBMs help to maintain FRC following its formation. ..
- Doyle L. Antenatal magnesium sulfate and neuroprotection. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2012;24:154-9 pubmed publisher..Antenatal magnesium sulfate may reduce the excessive rates of cerebral palsy in survivors of very preterm birth...
- Brown S, Gartland D, Donath S, MacArthur C. Fecal incontinence during the first 12 months postpartum: complex causal pathways and implications for clinical practice. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;119:240-9 pubmed publisher..In this nulliparous cohort, method of birth was not a major determinant of fecal incontinence status beyond 3 months postpartum. II. ..
- Tran M, Gallo L, Wadley G, Jefferies A, Moritz K, Wlodek M. Effect of pregnancy for females born small on later life metabolic disease risk. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45188 pubmed publisher..Our data suggests that pregnancy ameliorates the enhanced peripheral insulin sensitivity in growth restricted females and has deleterious effects for hepatic insulin sensitivity, regardless of maternal birth weight. ..
- Stark Z, Pangrazio A, McGillivray G, Fink A. Association of severe autosomal recessive osteopetrosis and structural brain abnormalities: a case report and review of the literature. Eur J Med Genet. 2013;56:36-8 pubmed publisher..Brain malformations are not typically considered part of the phenotypic spectrum of osteopetrosis. We review the literature, and propose that this may represent a novel autosomal recessive variant of osteopetrosis. ..
- Latouche C, Heywood S, Henry S, Ziemann M, Lazarus R, El Osta A, et al. Maternal overnutrition programs changes in the expression of skeletal muscle genes that are associated with insulin resistance and defects of oxidative phosphorylation in adult male rat offspring. J Nutr. 2014;144:237-44 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that maternal overnutrition, even in the absence of prepregnancy obesity, can promote metabolic dysregulation and predispose offspring to type 2 diabetes. ..
- Wang L, Shen J, Cram D, Ma M, Wang H, Zhang W, et al. Preferential selection and transfer of euploid noncarrier embryos in preimplantation genetic diagnosis cycles for reciprocal translocations. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:620-627.e4 pubmed publisher..The method has potential application in clinical PGD cycles for patients with reciprocal translocations or other structural rearrangements. ..
- Carolan M, Cassar L. Antenatal care perceptions of pregnant African women attending maternity services in Melbourne, Australia. Midwifery. 2010;26:189-201 pubmed publisher..In this climate of change, the provision of a supportive sensitive service appears to promote acceptance of services and attendance at appointments. ..
- Giles M, Pedrana A, Jones C, Garland S, Hellard M, Lewin S. Antenatal screening practice for infectious diseases by general practitioners in Australia. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009;49:39-44 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the need for more education and resources to increase HIV testing rates and to improve follow-up of an HCV-exposed infant. ..
- Begg D, Sinclair A, Stahl L, Premaratna S, Hafandi A, Jois M, et al. Hypertension induced by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid deficiency is alleviated by alpha-linolenic acid regardless of dietary source. Hypertens Res. 2010;33:808-13 pubmed publisher..The differences observed between DEF, SUF-F and SUF-C phenotypes indicate that body fat and leptin may be involved in omega-3 fatty acid deficiency hypertension. ..
- Bryan S. Current challenges in the assessment and management of patients with bleeding in early pregnancy. Emerg Med (Fremantle). 2003;15:219-22 pubmed..This article looks at some of the common ultrasound findings and discusses the management options for failed and ectopic pregnancies. ..
- O Brien P, Dixon J. A rational approach to cholelithiasis in bariatric surgery: its application to the laparoscopically placed adjustable gastric band. Arch Surg. 2003;138:908-12 pubmed..Our data indicate that a noninterventionist approach to the gallbladder is appropriate for patients undergoing adjustable gastric banding surgery. ..
- Sachdev A, Usatoff V, Thaow C. Sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis and methotrexate. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006;46:58-9 pubmed
- McLean A, Stanisic D, McGready R, Chotivanich K, Clapham C, Baiwog F, et al. P. falciparum infection and maternofetal antibody transfer in malaria-endemic settings of varying transmission. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186577 pubmed publisher..Plasmodium falciparum infections may reduce maternofetal antibody transfer efficiency, but mechanisms remain unclear...
- Vajda F, Eadie M. Maternal valproate dosage and foetal malformations. Acta Neurol Scand. 2005;112:137-43 pubmed
- Sheehan P. Hyperemesis gravidarum--assessment and management. Aust Fam Physician. 2007;36:698-701 pubmed..Benefit has been reported with the use of ginger. Evidence is mixed regarding acupressure and acupuncture. ..
- Coman D, Bacic S, Boys A, Sparrow D, Dunwoodie S, Savarirayan R, et al. Spondylocostal dysostosis in a pregnancy complicated by confined placental mosaicism for tetrasomy 9p. Am J Med Genet A. 2008;146A:1972-6 pubmed publisher..Testing of the genes DLL3, MESP2, and LFNG did not identify a mutation, suggesting that the siblings may have a new molecular subtype of SCD...
- Giles M, Hellard M, Lewin S, O Brien M. The "work" of women when considering and using interventions to reduce mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of HIV. AIDS Care. 2009;21:1230-7 pubmed publisher..Even in circumstances where access to and acceptance of interventions are high, women continue to engage in this work even after they have a made a decision about a particular intervention...
- van der Pligt P, Campbell K, Willcox J, Opie J, Denney Wilson E. Opportunities for primary and secondary prevention of excess gestational weight gain: General Practitioners' perspectives. BMC Fam Pract. 2011;12:124 pubmed publisher..Time efficient and cost effective interventions may assist GPs in ensuring women are supported in achieving healthy GWG to provide optimal maternal and infant health outcomes. ..
- Kennedy E, Mackesy Buckley S, Subramaniam S, Demmke A, Latu R, Robertson A, et al. The case for investing in family planning in the Pacific: costs and benefits of reducing unmet need for contraception in Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands. Reprod Health. 2013;10:30 pubmed publisher..In small island developing states such as Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands, increasing investment in family planning would contribute to improved maternal and infant outcomes and substantial public sector savings. ..
- Duncombe D, Skouteris H, Wertheim E, Kelly L, Fraser V, Paxton S. Vigorous exercise and birth outcomes in a sample of recreational exercisers: a prospective study across pregnancy. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006;46:288-92 pubmed..Replication in a large, more diverse sample is recommended. ..
- Daley A, THORPE S, Garland S. Varicella and the pregnant woman: prevention and management. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;48:26-33 pubmed publisher..Clinical practice guidelines for management of a pregnant woman exposed to VZV are presented. ..
- Boeuf P, Hasang W, Hanssen E, Glazier J, Rogerson S. Relevant assay to study the adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes to the placental epithelium. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21126 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates the power of this assay to advance our understanding of epithelial adhesion of infected erythrocytes and in the design of intervention strategies. ..
- McGillivray G, Rosenfeld J, McKinlay Gardner R, Gillam L. Genetic counselling and ethical issues with chromosome microarray analysis in prenatal testing. Prenat Diagn. 2012;32:389-95 pubmed publisher..Non-directive pre-test and post-test genetic counselling is central to the delivery of these ethical objectives...
- Shah N. Effects of milk-derived bioactives: an overview. Br J Nutr. 2000;84 Suppl 1:S3-10 pubmed..This review considers an overview of the bioactive components in milk proteins and whey and their physiological function. ..
- O Dowd R, Kent J, Moseley J, Wlodek M. Effects of uteroplacental insufficiency and reducing litter size on maternal mammary function and postnatal offspring growth. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R539-48 pubmed..The present study demonstrates that uteroplacental insufficiency impairs mammary function, compromises milk quality and quantity, and reduces calcium transport into milk, further restraining postnatal growth. ..
- McCalman J, Heyeres M, Campbell S, Bainbridge R, Chamberlain C, Strobel N, et al. Family-centred interventions by primary healthcare services for Indigenous early childhood wellbeing in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States: a systematic scoping review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:71 pubmed publisher..Further research pertaining to the role of fathers in family-centred care, and the effects and costs of interventions is needed. ..
- Singh R, Shaw J, Zimmet P. Epidemiology of childhood type 2 diabetes in the developing world. Pediatr Diabetes. 2004;5:154-68 pubmed..These are of relevance in both developed and developing nations. ..
- Sozo F, O Day L, Maritz G, Kenna K, Stacy V, Brew N, et al. Repeated ethanol exposure during late gestation alters the maturation and innate immune status of the ovine fetal lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2009;296:L510-8 pubmed publisher..Changes to the innate immune status of the fetus could increase the susceptibility of the neonatal lungs to infection. ..
- Kausche A, Jones G, Trounson A, Figueiredo F, MacLachlan V, Lolatgis N. Sex ratio and birth weights of infants born as a result of blastocyst transfers compared with early cleavage stage embryo transfers. Fertil Steril. 2001;76:688-93 pubmed
- Giles M, Garland S, Oats J. Management of preterm prelabour rupture of membranes: an audit. How do the results compare with clinical practice guidelines?. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;45:201-6 pubmed..In addition, routine measurement of C reactive protein should cease. The current clinical practice guideline should be modified to reflect the current evidence in the literature. ..
- Van Den Bergen J, Miles D, Sinclair A, Western P. Normalizing gene expression levels in mouse fetal germ cells. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:362-70 pubmed publisher..Application of these reference genes to expression analysis in fetal germ and somatic cells provides a more accurate system in which to profile gene expression in these tissues. ..