Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on organ size in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Topic: organ size
- Walterfang M, Wood A, Barton S, Velakoulis D, Chen J, Reutens D, et al. Corpus callosum size and shape alterations in individuals with bipolar disorder and their first-degree relatives. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2009;33:1050-7 pubmed publisher..Global and regional thinning of the callosum is seen in BD but not in their first-degree relatives. This suggests that CC abnormalities are linked to disease expression in BD and may not represent a marker of familial predisposition. ..
- Kukuljan S, Nowson C, Sanders K, Daly R. Effects of resistance exercise and fortified milk on skeletal muscle mass, muscle size, and functional performance in middle-aged and older men: an 18-mo randomized controlled trial. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;107:1864-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the daily consumption of low-fat fortified milk does not enhance the effects of RT on skeletal muscle size, strength, or function in healthy middle-aged and older men with adequate energy and nutrient intakes. ..
- Singh R, Denton K, Bertram J, Jefferies A, Moritz K. Reduced nephron endowment due to fetal uninephrectomy impairs renal sodium handling in male sheep. Clin Sci (Lond). 2010;118:669-80 pubmed publisher..This suggests that people born with a nephron deficit should be monitored for early signs of renal and cardiovascular disease. ..
- McNamara B, Diouf B, Douglas Denton R, Hughson M, Hoy W, Bertram J. A comparison of nephron number, glomerular volume and kidney weight in Senegalese Africans and African Americans. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25:1514-20 pubmed publisher..This may mark exposure to environmental stressors or hereditary traits concentrated in the population's relocation to North America. ..
- Vogel A, Poole M, Pemberton H, Caverlé M, Boonstra F, Low E, et al. Motor speech signature of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia: Refining the phenotype. Neurology. 2017;89:837-844 pubmed publisher..Subtle but measurable deficits in prosody are common in bvFTD and should be considered during disease management. Language function correlated with speech timing measures derived from the unprepared monologue only. ..
- Du X, Gao X, Jennings G, Dart A, Woodcock E. Preserved ventricular contractility in infarcted mouse heart overexpressing beta(2)-adrenergic receptors. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;279:H2456-63 pubmed..85%, P < 0.05) and LVEDP levels (6 +/- 0.3 vs. 9 +/- 0.8 mmHg, P < 0.05) were also lower in TG than in WT mice with large IS. Thus beta(2)-AR overexpression preserved LV contractility following MI without adverse consequence...
- Kennedy C, Koopman P, Mishina Y, O Bryan M. Sox8 and Sertoli-cell function. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1120:104-13 pubmed..We conclude that SOX8 transactivated genes have key roles in adult Sertoli-cell function and its elimination results in progressive male infertility. ..
- Ma G, Allen T, Cooper M, Cao Z. Calcium channel blockers, either amlodipine or mibefradil, ameliorate renal injury in experimental diabetes. Kidney Int. 2004;66:1090-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that CCBs may be useful in preventing pathologic injury in the diabetic kidney. ..
- Walker E, Poulton I, McGregor N, Ho P, Allan E, Quach J, et al. Sustained RANKL response to parathyroid hormone in oncostatin M receptor-deficient osteoblasts converts anabolic treatment to a catabolic effect in vivo. J Bone Miner Res. 2012;27:902-12 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the transient RANKL induction by intermittent PTH administration, which is associated with its anabolic action, is changed to a prolonged induction in OSMR-deficient osteoblasts, resulting in bone destruction. ..
- Walterfang M, Patenaude B, Abel L, Kluenemann H, Bowman E, Fahey M, et al. Subcortical volumetric reductions in adult Niemann-Pick disease type C: a cross-sectional study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34:1334-40 pubmed publisher..Volume losses in other subcortical regions may also be involved in the characteristic range of motor, psychiatric, and cognitive deficits seen in the disease. ..
- Foroudi F, Pham D, Bressel M, Gill S, Kron T. Intrafraction bladder motion in radiation therapy estimated from pretreatment and posttreatment volumetric imaging. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013;86:77-82 pubmed publisher..Asymmetric expansion of CTV to PTV should be considered. Care is required in using image-guided radiation therapy protocols that reduce CTV to PTV margins based only on daily pretreatment soft tissue position. ..
- Prior L, Davern P, Burke S, Lim K, Armitage J, Head G. Exposure to a high-fat diet during development alters leptin and ghrelin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2014;63:338-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that offspring from mothers consuming an HFD exhibit an adverse cardiovascular profile in adulthood because of altered central hypothalamic sensitivity to leptin and ghrelin. ..
- Cock M, Harding R. Renal and amniotic fluid responses to umbilicoplacental embolization for 20 days in fetal sheep. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:R1094-102 pubmed..We conclude that, in fetal growth restriction, reduced kidney weight, rather than hypoxemia per se is responsible for reduced urine production, which, if severe and prolonged, may contribute to oligohydramnios...
- Ryan J, Artero S, CarriÃ¨re I, Maller J, Meslin C, Ritchie K, et al. GWAS-identified risk variants for major depressive disorder: Preliminary support for an association with late-life depressive symptoms and brain structural alterations. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;26:113-125 pubmed publisher..However effect sizes remain modest and associations did not reach corrected significance levels. Further large imaging studies are needed to confirm our findings. ..
- Gao Y, Short R. Fertility control in laboratory rats and mice after feeding with the antigestagen RU486. J Reprod Fertil. 1994;101:477-81 pubmed..The treatment period was therefore reduced to 3 days every 18 days and no more litters were produced and none of the treated females was pregnant at autopsy.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Ryall J, Gregorevic P, Plant D, Sillence M, Lynch G. Beta 2-agonist fenoterol has greater effects on contractile function of rat skeletal muscles than clenbuterol. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2002;283:R1386-94 pubmed..These data indicate that fenoterol has greater effects on the functional properties of rat skeletal muscles than clenbuterol...
- O Loughlin P, Mackenzie M, Vandenspiegel D, Griffiths H. New taeniogyrinid species of sea cucumber from the Weddell Sea (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea: Synaptida). Zootaxa. 2015;3995:271-83 pubmed publisher..nov. and Taeniogyrus bamberi sp. nov.. A specimen of Sigmodota magnibacula (Massin & HÃ©tÃ©rier) is described. A key is provided for the genera and species of Taeniogyrinae that occur south of the Antarctic Convergence. ..