Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondrial proteins in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Topic: mitochondrial proteins
- Lazarou M, Smith S, Thorburn D, Ryan M, McKenzie M. Assembly of nuclear DNA-encoded subunits into mitochondrial complex IV, and their preferential integration into supercomplex forms in patient mitochondria. FEBS J. 2009;276:6701-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that newly imported nuclear DNA-encoded subunits can integrate into the complex IV holoenzyme and supercomplex forms by associating with pre-existing subunits and intermediate assembly complexes. ..
- McKenzie M, Liolitsa D, Akinshina N, Campanella M, Sisodiya S, Hargreaves I, et al. Mitochondrial ND5 gene variation associated with encephalomyopathy and mitochondrial ATP consumption. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36845-52 pubmed..These data suggest that in response to impaired respiration due to the mtDNA mutation, mitochondria consume ATP to maintain Deltapsim, representing a potential pathophysiological mechanism in human mitochondrial disease. ..
- Latouche C, Heywood S, Henry S, Ziemann M, Lazarus R, El Osta A, et al. Maternal overnutrition programs changes in the expression of skeletal muscle genes that are associated with insulin resistance and defects of oxidative phosphorylation in adult male rat offspring. J Nutr. 2014;144:237-44 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that maternal overnutrition, even in the absence of prepregnancy obesity, can promote metabolic dysregulation and predispose offspring to type 2 diabetes. ..
- Richter V, Palmer C, Osellame L, Singh A, Elgass K, Stroud D, et al. Structural and functional analysis of MiD51, a dynamin receptor required for mitochondrial fission. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:477-86 pubmed publisher..MiD51 foci are also dependent on the presence of Drp1, and after scission they are distributed to daughter organelles, supporting the involvement of MiD51 in the fission apparatus...
- Heinz E, Lithgow T. Back to basics: a revealing secondary reduction of the mitochondrial protein import pathway in diverse intracellular parasites. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:295-303 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Protein Import and Quality Control in Mitochondria and Plastids...
- Palmer C, Osellame L, Laine D, Koutsopoulos O, Frazier A, Ryan M. MiD49 and MiD51, new components of the mitochondrial fission machinery. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:565-73 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of MiD49/51 seems to sequester Drp1 from functioning at mitochondria and cause fused tubules to associate with actin. Thus, MiD49/51 are new mediators of mitochondrial division affecting Drp1 action at mitochondria. ..
- Baker M, Webb C, Stroud D, Palmer C, Frazier A, Guiard B, et al. Structural and functional requirements for activity of the Tim9-Tim10 complex in mitochondrial protein import. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:769-79 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Tim9 plays an important functional role that includes facilitating the initial steps in translocating precursor substrates into the intermembrane space. ..
- Dunning C, McKenzie M, Sugiana C, Lazarou M, Silke J, Connelly A, et al. Human CIA30 is involved in the early assembly of mitochondrial complex I and mutations in its gene cause disease. EMBO J. 2007;26:3227-37 pubmed..Our results indicate that CIA30 is a crucial component in the early assembly of complex I and mutations in its gene can cause mitochondrial disease. ..
- Uren R, Dewson G, Bonzon C, Lithgow T, Newmeyer D, Kluck R. Mitochondrial release of pro-apoptotic proteins: electrostatic interactions can hold cytochrome c but not Smac/DIABLO to mitochondrial membranes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2266-74 pubmed
- Stojanovski D, Koutsopoulos O, Okamoto K, Ryan M. Levels of human Fis1 at the mitochondrial outer membrane regulate mitochondrial morphology. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:1201-10 pubmed..These results indicate that the levels of hFis1 at the mitochondrial surface influences mitochondrial fission events and hence overall mitochondrial morphology within the cell. ..
- Gentle I, Gabriel K, Beech P, Waller R, Lithgow T. The Omp85 family of proteins is essential for outer membrane biogenesis in mitochondria and bacteria. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:19-24 pubmed
- Hewitt V, Alcock F, Lithgow T. Minor modifications and major adaptations: the evolution of molecular machines driving mitochondrial protein import. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1808:947-54 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Protein translocation across or insertion into membranes. ..
- Truscott K, Lowth B, Strack P, Dougan D. Diverse functions of mitochondrial AAA+ proteins: protein activation, disaggregation, and degradation. Biochem Cell Biol. 2010;88:97-108 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe the current status of knowledge regarding the known mitochondrial AAA+ proteins and their role in this organelle. ..
- Van Bergen N, Crowston J, Kearns L, Staffieri S, Hewitt A, Cohn A, et al. Mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation compensation may preserve vision in patients with OPA1-linked autosomal dominant optic atrophy. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21347 pubmed publisher..Identification of genetic variants that enable this response may provide novel therapeutic insights into OXPHOS compensation for preventing vision loss in optic neuropathies. ..
- Fang L, Moore X, Gao X, Dart A, Lim Y, Du X. Down-regulation of mitofusin-2 expression in cardiac hypertrophy in vitro and in vivo. Life Sci. 2007;80:2154-60 pubmed..Further study is required to examine the causal relationship between Mfn2 and cardiac hypertrophy. ..
- Humphries A, Streimann I, Stojanovski D, Johnston A, Yano M, Hoogenraad N, et al. Dissection of the mitochondrial import and assembly pathway for human Tom40. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11535-43 pubmed..Nevertheless, we show that Tom40 assembly is reduced in mitochondria depleted of human Sam50. These findings are discussed in context with current models from fungal studies. ..
- Bazzocco S, Dopeso H, Cartón García F, Macaya I, Andretta E, Chionh F, et al. Highly Expressed Genes in Rapidly Proliferating Tumor Cells as New Targets for Colorectal Cancer Treatment. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:3695-704 pubmed publisher..We have characterized at the transcriptomic level the differences between colorectal cancer cells that vary in their growth rates, and identified novel candidate chemotherapeutic targets for the treatment of colorectal cancer. ..