Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on knockout mice in Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Topic: knockout mice
- Kitching A, Turner A, Wilson G, Semple T, Odobasic D, Timoshanko J, et al. IL-12p40 and IL-18 in crescentic glomerulonephritis: IL-12p40 is the key Th1-defining cytokine chain, whereas IL-18 promotes local inflammation and leukocyte recruitment. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:2023-33 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that in severe experimental crescentic GN, IL-12p40 is the key Th1-defining cytokine chain, whereas IL-18 has local proinflammatory roles. ..
- Kitching A, Turner A, O Sullivan K, Dewerchin M, Lijnen H. Endogenous alpha2-antiplasmin does not enhance glomerular fibrin deposition or injury in glomerulonephritis. J Thromb Haemost. 2003;1:1992-9 pubmed..19 +/- 0.01, alpha2-AP-/- 0.36 +/- 0.03 lyzed area/total area). alpha2-AP is not important to net glomerular fibrin deposition, crescent formation or renal impairment in crescentic GN. ..
- McPherson S, Ellem S, Simpson E, Patchev V, Fritzemeier K, Risbridger G. Essential role for estrogen receptor beta in stromal-epithelial regulation of prostatic hyperplasia. Endocrinology. 2007;148:566-74 pubmed..This highlights the potential of selective estrogen-receptor modulators, rather than aromatase inhibitors, for the management of dysregulated prostate growth. ..
- Parish C, Finkelstein D, Tripanichkul W, Satoskar A, Drago J, Horne M. The role of interleukin-1, interleukin-6, and glia in inducing growth of neuronal terminal arbors in mice. J Neurosci. 2002;22:8034-41 pubmed..This study demonstrates that these cytokines play an important role in plasticity and regeneration that is separate from the inflammatory response associated with brain injury. ..
- Heffernan M, Summers R, Thorburn A, Ogru E, Gianello R, Jiang W, et al. The effects of human GH and its lipolytic fragment (AOD9604) on lipid metabolism following chronic treatment in obese mice and beta(3)-AR knock-out mice. Endocrinology. 2001;142:5182-9 pubmed
- Quinn J, Tam S, Sims N, Saleh H, McGregor N, Poulton I, et al. Germline deletion of AMP-activated protein kinase beta subunits reduces bone mass without altering osteoclast differentiation or function. FASEB J. 2010;24:275-85 pubmed publisher..These results show that AMPK is required to maintain normal bone density, but not through bone cell differentiation, and does not mediate powerful osteolytic effects of AICA-riboside. ..
- Cowin P, Gold E, Aleksova J, O Bryan M, Foster P, Scott H, et al. Vinclozolin exposure in utero induces postpubertal prostatitis and reduces sperm production via a reversible hormone-regulated mechanism. Endocrinology. 2010;151:783-92 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate in utero Vinclozolin-induced male reproductive tract abnormalities are AR mediated and reversible and involve a mechanism independent of Dnmt expression. ..
- Miller A, De Silva T, Judkins C, Diep H, Drummond G, Sobey C. Augmented superoxide production by Nox2-containing NADPH oxidase causes cerebral artery dysfunction during hypercholesterolemia. Stroke. 2010;41:784-9 pubmed publisher..We tested the hypothesis that elevated superoxide production by Nox2-NADPH oxidase occurs in cerebral arteries during hypercholesterolemia and causes decreased nitric oxide function...
- Loveland K, Schlatt S. Stem cell factor and c-kit in the mammalian testis: lessons originating from Mother Nature's gene knockouts. J Endocrinol. 1997;153:337-44 pubmed..This review summarises the current knowledge regarding functions of c-kit and SCF in the testis and discusses the implications of information gleaned from other biological systems. ..
- Tipping P, Huang X, Qi M, Van G, Tang W. Crescentic glomerulonephritis in CD4- and CD8-deficient mice. Requirement for CD4 but not CD8 cells. Am J Pathol. 1998;152:1541-8 pubmed..They support the hypothesis that crescent formation is a manifestation of CD4-dependent (and CD8-independent) delayed type hypersensitivity in the glomerulus...
- D Angelo M, Bird P, Peters C, Reinheckel T, Trapani J, Sutton V. Cathepsin H is an additional convertase of pro-granzyme B. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:20514-9 pubmed publisher..This indicates a great deal of functional redundancy in GrB maturation, which would prevent pathogen-mediated immune suppression by via convertase inhibition. ..
- O Leary D, Noakes P, Lavidis N, Kola I, Hertzog P, Ristevski S. Targeting of the ETS factor GABPalpha disrupts neuromuscular junction synaptic function. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3470-80 pubmed..Therefore, the GABP transcription factor aids in the structural formation and function of neuromuscular junctions by regulating the expression of postsynaptic genes. ..
- Moussa L, Apostolopoulos J, Davenport P, Tchongue J, Tipping P. Protease-activated receptor-2 augments experimental crescentic glomerulonephritis. Am J Pathol. 2007;171:800-8 pubmed..PAR-2-mediated augmentation of renal plasminogen activator inhibitor expression and inhibition of matrix-metalloprotinase-9 activity may contribute to increased glomerular fibrin accumulation and glomerular injury in CGN. ..
- Hill R, McInnes K, Gong E, Jones M, Simpson E, Boon W. Estrogen deficient male mice develop compulsive behavior. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;61:359-66 pubmed..This study describes the novel observation of a possible link between estrogen, COMT and development of compulsive behaviors in male animals which may have therapeutic implications in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) patients. ..
- Ellem S, Risbridger G. Aromatase and prostate cancer. Minerva Endocrinol. 2006;31:1-12 pubmed..Studies using these animals may lead to a better understanding of the role that aromatase--and therefore estrogen--plays in the development and progression of prostate disease. ..
- McPherson S, Hussain S, Balanathan P, Hedwards S, Niranjan B, Grant M, et al. Estrogen receptor-beta activated apoptosis in benign hyperplasia and cancer of the prostate is androgen independent and TNFalpha mediated. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3123-8 pubmed publisher..Our data are indicative of the therapeutic potential of ERbeta agonist for treatment of PCa and/or BPH with or without androgen withdrawal. ..
- Yang Y, Morand E, Getting S, Paul Clark M, Liu D, Yona S, et al. Modulation of inflammation and response to dexamethasone by Annexin 1 in antigen-induced arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;50:976-84 pubmed..Anx-1 exerts endogenous antiinflammatory effects on AIA via the regulation of cytokine gene expression, and also mediates the antiinflammatory actions of dexamethasone in AIA. ..
- Robertson K, O DONNELL L, Jones M, Meachem S, Boon W, Fisher C, et al. Impairment of spermatogenesis in mice lacking a functional aromatase (cyp 19) gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7986-91 pubmed..Our findings indicate that local expression of aromatase is essential for spermatogenesis and provide evidence for a direct action of estrogen on male germ cell development and thus fertility. ..
- Mittaz L, Russell D, Wilson T, Brasted M, Tkalcevic J, Salamonsen L, et al. Adamts-1 is essential for the development and function of the urogenital system. Biol Reprod. 2004;70:1096-105 pubmed..These results demonstrate that a functional Adamts-1 is required for normal ovulation to occur, and hence the Adamts-1 gene plays an important role in female fertility, primarily during the tissue remodeling process of ovulation...
- Wong J, Ross S, McColl C, Massalas J, Powney E, Finkelstein D, et al. Proconvulsant-induced seizures in alpha(4) nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit knockout mice. Neuropharmacology. 2002;43:55-64 pubmed..The results show that a functional deletion of the alpha(4) nAChR subunit in vivo is associated with a major increase in sensitivity to GABA receptor blockers. ..
- Misso M, Murata Y, Boon W, Jones M, Britt K, Simpson E. Cellular and molecular characterization of the adipose phenotype of the aromatase-deficient mouse. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1474-80 pubmed
- Parish C, Finkelstein D, Drago J, Borrelli E, Horne M. The role of dopamine receptors in regulating the size of axonal arbors. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5147-57 pubmed..These results suggest that individual dopaminergic axons in D2(-/-) mice have reached maximal arbor size. We conclude that the D2 receptor may play a role in modulating the extent of the terminal arbor of SNpc neurons. ..
- Phoon R, Kitching A, Odobasic D, Jones L, Semple T, Holdsworth S. T-bet deficiency attenuates renal injury in experimental crescentic glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:477-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude that T-bet directs Th1 responses that induce renal injury in experimental crescentic glomerulonephritis...
- Gantier M, Tong S, Behlke M, Xu D, Phipps S, Foster P, et al. TLR7 is involved in sequence-specific sensing of single-stranded RNAs in human macrophages. J Immunol. 2008;180:2117-24 pubmed..Our results suggest that differential sequence-specific sensing of RNA oligonucleotides between human and mouse macrophages is due to the modulation of TLR7 sensing by human TLR8. ..
- Yu Y, Chu P, Bowser D, Keating D, Dubach D, Harper I, et al. Mice deficient for the chromosome 21 ortholog Itsn1 exhibit vesicle-trafficking abnormalities. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:3281-90 pubmed publisher..These results imply a role for ITSN1 in the early endocytic anomalies reported in DS brains which may have ramifications for the onset of AD. ..
- Menkhorst E, Salamonsen L, Robb L, Dimitriadis E. IL11 antagonist inhibits uterine stromal differentiation, causing pregnancy failure in mice. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:920-7 pubmed publisher..PEGIL11A significantly diminished STAT3 phosphorylation in HES cells in vitro (P < or = 0.05). This study provides valuable information for PEGIL11A that could lead to the development of this protein as a nonhormonal contraceptive. ..
- Kuligowski M, Kwan R, Lo C, Wong C, James W, Bourges D, et al. Antimyeloperoxidase antibodies rapidly induce alpha-4-integrin-dependent glomerular neutrophil adhesion. Blood. 2009;113:6485-94 pubmed publisher..Lower doses induce adhesion only after an infection-related stimulus, whereas higher doses are capable of inducing responses in the absence of an additional inflammatory stimulus, via alternative adhesion mechanisms. ..
- Huijsman E, van de Par C, Economou C, van der Poel C, Lynch G, Schoiswohl G, et al. Adipose triacylglycerol lipase deletion alters whole body energy metabolism and impairs exercise performance in mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;297:E505-13 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate an essential role for both ATGL and HSL in maintaining adequate FFA supply to sustain normal substrate metabolism at rest and during exercise. ..
- Jones K, Mansell A, Patella S, Scott B, Hedger M, de Kretser D, et al. Activin A is a critical component of the inflammatory response, and its binding protein, follistatin, reduces mortality in endotoxemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:16239-44 pubmed..These findings demonstrate activin A's crucial role in the inflammatory response and show that blocking its actions by the use of follistatin has significant therapeutic potential to reduce the severity of inflammatory diseases. ..
- McPherson S, Wang H, Jones M, Pedersen J, Iismaa T, Wreford N, et al. Elevated androgens and prolactin in aromatase-deficient mice cause enlargement, but not malignancy, of the prostate gland. Endocrinology. 2001;142:2458-67 pubmed..It is concluded in ArKO mice that, despite the long-term elevation of androgens and PRL, the absence of estrogen in these animals does not result in induction of malignancy in the prostate gland. ..
- Jones M, Thorburn A, Britt K, Hewitt K, Wreford N, Proietto J, et al. Aromatase-deficient (ArKO) mice have a phenotype of increased adiposity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:12735-40 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate an important role for estrogen in the maintenance of lipid homeostasis in both males and females. ..
- Britt K, Drummond A, Cox V, Dyson M, Wreford N, Jones M, et al. An age-related ovarian phenotype in mice with targeted disruption of the Cyp 19 (aromatase) gene. Endocrinology. 2000;141:2614-23 pubmed..In conclusion, the ovarian environment in ArKO mice does not allow the characteristic development of follicles that culminates in ovulation and demonstrates an in vivo requirement of estrogen for normal ovarian function in the mouse. ..
- Murray S, Bartlett P, Cheema S. Differential loss of spinal sensory but not motor neurons in the p75NTR knockout mouse. Neurosci Lett. 1999;267:45-8 pubmed..In contrast, motor neurons were not lost in either the cervical or lumbar spinal cord. These data suggest that p75NTR is essential for the prenatal survival of a significant number of sensory, but not motor neurons. ..
- Kitching A, Tipping P, Holdsworth S. IL-12 directs severe renal injury, crescent formation and Th1 responses in murine glomerulonephritis. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:1-10 pubmed..These results establish a central role for IL-12 in severe crescentic GN. ..
- Hickey M, Bullard D, Issekutz A, James W. Leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions are enhanced in dermal postcapillary venules of MRL/fas(lpr) (lupus-prone) mice: roles of P- and E-selectin. J Immunol. 2002;168:4728-36 pubmed..Furthermore, the data suggest that the endothelial selectins share overlapping roles in mediating this enhanced leukocyte recruitment. ..
- de Haan J, Bladier C, Lotfi Miri M, Taylor J, Hutchinson P, Crack P, et al. Fibroblasts derived from Gpx1 knockout mice display senescent-like features and are susceptible to H2O2-mediated cell death. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004;36:53-64 pubmed..Gpx1-/- fibroblasts also demonstrate a dose-dependent susceptibility to H2O2-induced apoptosis. Our findings suggest that Gpx1 is protective against both ROS-mediated senescence-like changes and oxidant-mediated cell death. ..
- Gosbell A, Stefanovic N, Scurr L, Pete J, Kola I, Favilla I, et al. Retinal light damage: structural and functional effects of the antioxidant glutathione peroxidase-1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:2613-22 pubmed..This study identified glutaredoxin-2 as a potential candidate. ..
- Liddell J, Hoepken H, Crack P, Robinson S, Dringen R. Glutathione peroxidase 1 and glutathione are required to protect mouse astrocytes from iron-mediated hydrogen peroxide toxicity. J Neurosci Res. 2006;84:578-86 pubmed..These results demonstrate that GPx1 contributes to the rapid clearance of H(2)O(2) by mouse astrocytes and that both GPx1 and a high concentration of glutathione are required to protect these cells from iron-dependent peroxide damage. ..
- Yang Y, Hall P, Little C, Fosang A, Milenkovski G, Santos L, et al. Reduction of arthritis severity in protease-activated receptor-deficient mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:1325-32 pubmed..We conclude that PAR-1 plays a significant role in this model of arthritis. ..
- Apostolopoulos J, Hickey M, Sharma L, Davenport P, Moussa L, James W, et al. The cytoplasmic domain of tissue factor in macrophages augments cutaneous delayed-type hypersensitivity. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:902-11 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that leukocyte expression of the cytoplasmic domain of TF contributes to antigen-specific cellular adaptive immune responses via effects on leukocyte recruitment and activation...
- Wong J, Clifford J, Massalas J, Kinsella A, Waddington J, Drago J. Essential conservation of D1 mutant phenotype at the level of individual topographies of behaviour in mice lacking both D1 and D3 dopamine receptors. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2003;167:167-73 pubmed..Under the present conditions, there was little systematic evidence for D(1):D(3) interactions in the regulation of these aspects of behaviour. ..
- Kuligowski M, Kitching A, Hickey M. Leukocyte recruitment to the inflamed glomerulus: a critical role for platelet-derived P-selectin in the absence of rolling. J Immunol. 2006;176:6991-9 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that anti-GBM Ab-induced leukocyte adhesion in glomeruli occurs via a novel pathway involving a nonrolling interaction mediated by platelet-derived P-selectin. ..
- Luu K, Nie G, Salamonsen L. Endometrial calbindins are critical for embryo implantation: evidence from in vivo use of morpholino antisense oligonucleotides. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:8028-33 pubmed
- Davenport P, Tipping P. The role of interleukin-4 and interleukin-12 in the progression of atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:1117-25 pubmed..05). This suggests that both Th1 and Th2 cytokines play roles throughout the development of atherosclerosis in various vascular sites in apoE(-/-) mice. ..
- Short J, Ledent C, Borrelli E, Drago J, Lawrence A. Genetic interdependence of adenosine and dopamine receptors: evidence from receptor knockout mice. Neuroscience. 2006;139:661-70 pubmed..These data are consistent with the existence of functional interactions between dopaminergic and purinergic systems in these reward and motor-related brain regions. ..
- Wong J, Clifford J, Massalas J, Finkelstein D, Horne M, Waddington J, et al. Neurochemical changes in dopamine D1, D3 and D1/D3 receptor knockout mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 2003;472:39-47 pubmed..Upregulated dopamine D2-like binding and enkephalin in D1(-/-) mice may be due to decreased dopamine turnover. Upregulated enkephalin in D1(-/-) mice is dependent on functional dopamine D3 receptors. ..
- Yang Y, Aeberli D, Dacumos A, Xue J, Morand E. Annexin-1 regulates macrophage IL-6 and TNF via glucocorticoid-induced leucine zipper. J Immunol. 2009;183:1435-45 pubmed publisher..These data confirm ANXA1 as a key inhibitor of macrophage cytokine expression and identify GILZ as a previously unrecognized mechanism of the anti-inflammatory effects of ANXA1. ..
- Robertson K, Simpson E, Lacham Kaplan O, Jones M. Characterization of the fertility of male aromatase knockout mice. J Androl. 2001;22:825-30 pubmed
- Dudakov J, Goldberg G, Reiseger J, Chidgey A, Boyd R. Withdrawal of sex steroids reverses age- and chemotherapy-related defects in bone marrow lymphopoiesis. J Immunol. 2009;182:6247-60 pubmed publisher..Since SSA has been achieved clinically for over 25 years, this provides a novel, rational basis for approaching the need for immune recovery in many clinical conditions. ..
- Robertson K, O Donnell L, Simpson E, Jones M. The phenotype of the aromatase knockout mouse reveals dietary phytoestrogens impact significantly on testis function. Endocrinology. 2002;143:2913-21 pubmed..Our study highlights the importance of estrogen in spermatogenesis and shows that relatively low levels of dietary phytoestrogens have a biological effect in the testis. ..
- Scarff K, Ung K, Nandurkar H, Crack P, Bird C, Bird P. Targeted disruption of SPI3/Serpinb6 does not result in developmental or growth defects, leukocyte dysfunction, or susceptibility to stroke. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4075-82 pubmed