Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on kidney in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Dwyer P, Rosamilia A. Congenital urogenital anomalies that are associated with the persistence of Gartner's duct: a review. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;195:354-9 pubmed..Surgical repair of the urethrovaginal fistulae and removal of the Gartner's duct and cyst was performed transvaginally. ..
- Esler M, Krum H, Schlaich M, Schmieder R, Bohm M, Sobotka P. Renal sympathetic denervation for treatment of drug-resistant hypertension: one-year results from the Symplicity HTN-2 randomized, controlled trial. Circulation. 2012;126:2976-82 pubmed publisher..Renal denervation provides safe and sustained reduction of blood pressure to 1 year. ..
- Campbell D, Zhang Y, Kelly D, Gilbert R, McCarthy D, Shi W, et al. Aliskiren increases bradykinin and tissue kallikrein mRNA levels in the heart. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2011;38:623-31 pubmed publisher..5. These data demonstrate that the aliskiren-induced increase in cardiac bradykinin levels is independent of renin inhibition and changes in bradykinin metabolism, but is associated with increased tissue kallikrein gene expression. ..
- Jamsai D, Clark B, Smith S, Whittle B, Goodnow C, Ormandy C, et al. A missense mutation in the transcription factor ETV5 leads to sterility, increased embryonic and perinatal death, postnatal growth restriction, renal asymmetry and polydactyly in the mouse. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77311 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data define a physiological role for ETV5 in many aspects of development including embryonic and perinatal survival, postnatal growth, limb patterning, kidney development and fertility. ..
- O Connor P, Anderson W, Kett M, Evans R. Renal preglomerular arterial-venous O2 shunting is a structural anti-oxidant defence mechanism of the renal cortex. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2006;33:637-41 pubmed
- Tan T, Whitelaw C, Savarirayan R. A patient with Mullerian abnormalities, renal dysplasia, cervical spine fusion, cataracts and intellectual disability: MURCS-plus?. Clin Dysmorphol. 2007;16:271-3 pubmed..We propose that this patient represents a more severe form of MURCS, or 'MURCS-plus', which may represent a defect of or insult to mesodermal morphogenesis. ..
- Chan C, Burke S, Head G. Contribution of imidazoline receptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors in the rostral ventrolateral medulla to sympathetic baroreflex inhibition by systemic rilmenidine. J Hypertens. 2007;25:147-55 pubmed..However, alpha2-adrenoceptors are also involved, probably as a direct result of the imidazoline receptor action. ..
- Forbes J, Thallas V, Thomas M, Founds H, Burns W, Jerums G, et al. The breakdown of preexisting advanced glycation end products is associated with reduced renal fibrosis in experimental diabetes. FASEB J. 2003;17:1762-4 pubmed
- Hewitson T, Tait M, Kelynack K, Martic M, Becker G. Dipyridamole inhibits in vitro renal fibroblast proliferation and collagen synthesis. J Lab Clin Med. 2002;140:199-208 pubmed..Effects on mitogenesis are mediated through a cyclic guanosine monophosphate-protein kinase G effector pathway. ..
- Hering D, Lambert E, Marusic P, Walton A, Krum H, Lambert G, et al. Substantial reduction in single sympathetic nerve firing after renal denervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Hypertension. 2013;61:457-64 pubmed publisher..Whether the earlier changes in single-unit firing patterns may predict long-term BP response to RDN warrants further exploration. ..
- Hoy W, White A, Dowling A, Sharma S, Bloomfield H, Tipiloura B, et al. Post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis is a strong risk factor for chronic kidney disease in later life. Kidney Int. 2012;81:1026-1032 pubmed publisher..Thus, PSGN contributes to the very serious burden of chronic kidney disease in this community. Rigorous strategies to prevent scabies and Group A streptococcal infections will reduce this burden. ..
- Donazzan L, Mahfoud F, Ewen S, Ukena C, Cremers B, Kirsch C, et al. Effects of catheter-based renal denervation on cardiac sympathetic activity and innervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Clin Res Cardiol. 2016;105:364-71 pubmed publisher..These changes occurred independently from BP effects and provide a pathophysiological basis for studies, investigating the potential effect of RDN on arrhythmias and heart failure. ..
- Hering D, Marusic P, Walton A, Duval J, Lee R, Sata Y, et al. Renal artery anatomy affects the blood pressure response to renal denervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Int J Cardiol. 2016;202:388-93 pubmed publisher..However, when patients with dual renal arteries received renal nerve ablation in all arteries there was trend towards a greater BP reduction. Insufficient renal sympathetic nerve ablation may account for these differences. ..
- Lambert E, Sari C, Dawood T, Nguyen J, McGrane M, Eikelis N, et al. Sympathetic nervous system activity is associated with obesity-induced subclinical organ damage in young adults. Hypertension. 2010;56:351-8 pubmed publisher..Sympathetic activity is closely associated with cardiovascular and renal alterations observed in these subjects. ..
- Liu S, Kompa A, Kumfu S, Nishijima F, Kelly D, Krum H, et al. Subtotal nephrectomy accelerates pathological cardiac remodeling post-myocardial infarction: implications for cardiorenal syndrome. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:1866-80 pubmed publisher..This animal model may be of use in assessing the impact of therapies to treat CRS. ..
- Mayorov D, Head G. AT1 receptors in the RVLM mediate pressor responses to emotional stress in rabbits. Hypertension. 2003;41:1168-73 pubmed..These results suggest that AT1 receptors in the RVLM are important in mediating the pressor effects of emotional stress in conscious rabbits. ..
- Funder J, Pearce P, Smith R, Smith A. Mineralocorticoid action: target tissue specificity is enzyme, not receptor, mediated. Science. 1988;242:583-5 pubmed..These analogs cannot bind to mineralocorticoid receptors. ..
- Rana K, Wang Y, Powell H, Jones C, McCredie D, Buzza M, et al. Persistent familial hematuria in children and the locus for thin basement membrane nephropathy. Pediatr Nephrol. 2005;20:1729-37 pubmed..This study also highlights the risk of excluding X-linked Alport syndrome on the basis of the absence of a family history or of kidney failure...
- Tan A, Sourris K, Harcourt B, Thallas Bonke V, Penfold S, Andrikopoulos S, et al. Disparate effects on renal and oxidative parameters following RAGE deletion, AGE accumulation inhibition, or dietary AGE control in experimental diabetic nephropathy. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F763-70 pubmed publisher..In the present study, diverse approaches to block the AGE-RAGE axis had disparate effects on DN, which has potential clinical implications for the way this axis should be targeted in humans. ..
- van den Buuse M, Tritton S, Burke S, Head G. Interaction of the dopamine D2 receptor agonist quinpirole with sympathetic vasomotor tone and the central action of rilmenidine in conscious rabbits. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1998;72:187-94 pubmed..However, the previously described apparent desensitisation to the antihypertensive effect of rilmenidine could not be observed in rabbits, suggesting marked species differences in the mechanism and site of action of rilmenidine...
- Bethune M. Literature review and suggested protocol for managing ultrasound soft markers for Down syndrome: thickened nuchal fold, echogenic bowel, shortened femur, shortened humerus, pyelectasis and absent or hypoplastic nasal bone. Australas Radiol. 2007;51:218-25 pubmed..Although isolated single umbilical artery is not usually considered a soft marker of aneuploidy, a management plan for this common finding is also included...
- Giunti S, Calkin A, Forbes J, Allen T, Thomas M, Cooper M, et al. The pleiotropic actions of rosuvastatin confer renal benefits in the diabetic Apo-E knockout mouse. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F528-35 pubmed publisher..The combination treatment is not superior to monotherapies. ..
- Callaghan J, Tan S, Khan M, Curran K, Campbell W, Smolka A, et al. Renal expression of the gene encoding the gastric H(+)-K(+)-ATPase beta-subunit. Am J Physiol. 1995;268:F363-74 pubmed
- Bhargava A, Fullerton M, Myles K, Purdy T, Funder J, Pearce D, et al. The serum- and glucocorticoid-induced kinase is a physiological mediator of aldosterone action. Endocrinology. 2001;142:1587-94 pubmed
- Moretti J, Burke S, Evans R, Lambert G, Head G. Enhanced responses to ganglion blockade do not reflect sympathetic nervous system contribution to angiotensin II-induced hypertension. J Hypertens. 2009;27:1838-48 pubmed publisher..Enhanced depressor responses to ganglion blockade in AngII hypertension do not reflect augmented SNS activity, but rather, augmented sympathetic vasoconstriction mediated by a vascular amplifier effect. ..
- Doody O, Adam W, Foley P, Lyon S. Fibromuscular dysplasia presenting with bilateral renal infarction. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2009;32:329-32 pubmed publisher..The delayed diagnosis in this patient until the condition had progressed to bilateral renal infarcts highlights the need for prompt investigation and diagnosis of suspected cases of FMD...
- Büsst C, Bloomer L, Scurrah K, Ellis J, Barnes T, Charchar F, et al. The epithelial sodium channel ?-subunit gene and blood pressure: family based association, renal gene expression, and physiological analyses. Hypertension. 2011;58:1073-8 pubmed publisher..07) 1.7-fold higher expression of SCNN1G compared with normotensive controls. These data provide genetic and phenotypic evidence in support of a role for a common genetic variant of SCNN1G in blood pressure determination. ..
- Takakubo F, Dahl H. The expression pattern of the pyruvate dehydrogenase E1 alpha subunit genes during spermatogenesis in adult mouse. Exp Cell Res. 1992;199:39-49 pubmed
- Dumesny C, Whitley J, Baldwin G, Giraud A, Shulkes A. Developmental expression and biological activity of gastrin-releasing peptide and its receptors in the kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2004;287:F578-85 pubmed..However, amidated GRP did stimulate the proliferation of these cells. These studies demonstrate that the developing and mature kidney may be previously unidentified sites of autocrine or paracrine action for GRP. ..
- Smith E, Cai M, McMahon L, Pedagogos E, Toussaint N, Brumby C, et al. Serum fetuin-A concentration and fetuin-A-containing calciprotein particles in patients with chronic inflammatory disease and renal failure. Nephrology (Carlton). 2013;18:215-21 pubmed publisher..Patients with CUA on haemodialysis have very high serum Fet-A reduction ratios, suggesting that this measurement may have a prognostic/diagnostic role in this condition. ..
- Roberts V, Lu B, Rajakumar S, Cowan P, Dwyer K. The CD39-adenosinergic axis in the pathogenesis of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Purinergic Signal. 2013;9:135-43 pubmed publisher..This review aims to examine the role of adenosine receptor signalling and the ecto-nucleotidases, CD39 and CD73, in IRI, with a particular focus on renal IRI. ..
- Cock M, Harding R. Renal and amniotic fluid responses to umbilicoplacental embolization for 20 days in fetal sheep. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:R1094-102 pubmed..We conclude that, in fetal growth restriction, reduced kidney weight, rather than hypoxemia per se is responsible for reduced urine production, which, if severe and prolonged, may contribute to oligohydramnios...
- Bukczynska P, Klingler Hoffmann M, Mitchelhill K, Lam M, Ciccomancini M, Tonks N, et al. The T-cell protein tyrosine phosphatase is phosphorylated on Ser-304 by cyclin-dependent protein kinases in mitosis. Biochem J. 2004;380:939-49 pubmed..In addition, recombinant CDKs, but not the Polo-like kinase Plk1, phosphorylated Ser-304 in vitro. Our studies identify Ser-304 as a major phosphorylation site in human TCPTP, and the TC45 variant as a novel mitotic CDK substrate. ..
- Prior L, Eikelis N, Armitage J, Davern P, Burke S, Montani J, et al. Exposure to a high-fat diet alters leptin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2010;55:862-8 pubmed publisher..The paradoxical reduction in hypothalamic neuronal activation by leptin suggests a marked "selective leptin resistance" in these animals. ..
- Tikellis C, Bialkowski K, Pete J, Sheehy K, Su Q, Johnston C, et al. ACE2 deficiency modifies renoprotection afforded by ACE inhibition in experimental diabetes. Diabetes. 2008;57:1018-25 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that ACE2 is a complex and site-specific modulator of diabetic kidney disease. ..
- Hoi A, Hickey M, Hall P, Yamana J, O Sullivan K, Santos L, et al. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor deficiency attenuates macrophage recruitment, glomerulonephritis, and lethality in MRL/lpr mice. J Immunol. 2006;177:5687-96 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest MIF as a critical effector of organ injury in SLE. ..
- Jiang F, Lim H, Morris M, Prior L, Velkoska E, Wu X, et al. Systemic upregulation of NADPH oxidase in diet-induced obesity in rats. Redox Rep. 2011;16:223-9 pubmed publisher..The association between NADPH oxidase Nox4 expression in the vasculature and the elevated blood pressure in obesity requires further investigation. ..
- Mount P, Gleich K, Tam S, Fraser S, Choy S, Dwyer K, et al. The outcome of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury is unchanged in AMPK-?1 deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29887 pubmed publisher..This difference might be due to a lack of effect of MIF on AMPK activation and lower CD74 expression in the kidney. ..
- Haase Fielitz A, Bellomo R, Devarajan P, Story D, Matalanis G, Dragun D, et al. Novel and conventional serum biomarkers predicting acute kidney injury in adult cardiac surgery--a prospective cohort study. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:553-60 pubmed publisher..Plasma NGAL and serum cystatin C were superior to conventional biomarkers in the prediction of AKI and were also of prognostic value in this setting. ..
- Murphy B, Georgiou T, Machet D, Hill P, McRae J. Factor H-related protein-5: a novel component of human glomerular immune deposits. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39:24-7 pubmed..This study shows FHR-5 to be strongly associated with glomerular complement deposition and suggests a role in complement activation or regulation. It may be an important mediator of glomerular disease. ..
- Kosari S, Rathner J, Badoer E. Central resistin enhances renal sympathetic nerve activity via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase but reduces the activity to brown adipose tissue via extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2. J Neuroendocrinol. 2012;24:1432-9 pubmed publisher..c.v. administration of U0126. The findings indicate that resistin increases renal SNA via PI3K and reduces BAT SNA via ERK1/2. ..
- Smith E, Holt S, Hewitson T. FGF23 activates injury-primed renal fibroblasts via FGFR4-dependent signalling and enhancement of TGF-Î² autoinduction. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2017;92:63-78 pubmed publisher..These findings strengthen the rationale for exploring therapeutic inhibition of FGFR4 or restoration of Î±-Klotho as upstream regulators of off-target FGF23 effects. ..
- Thallas Bonke V, Coughlan M, Tan A, Harcourt B, Morgan P, Davies M, et al. Targeting the AGE-RAGE axis improves renal function in the context of a healthy diet low in advanced glycation end-product content. Nephrology (Carlton). 2013;18:47-56 pubmed publisher..Diabetic mice given a low-AGE diet still developed renal disease, which could be attenuated by targeting of the AGE-RAGE axis. ..
- Hill P, McRae J, Dwyer K. PLA2R and membranous nephropathy: A 3â€‰year prospective Australian study. Nephrology (Carlton). 2016;21:397-403 pubmed publisher..We have shown 100% specificity of both serum anti-PLA2R and glomerular PLA2R in iMN, with a sensitivity of 81.0%. When serum testing is combined with tissue localization of PLA2R, the sensitivity increases to 95.2%. ..
- Tikellis C, Brown R, Head G, Cooper M, Thomas M. Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 mediates hyperfiltration associated with diabetes. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014;306:F773-80 pubmed publisher..The results of our study suggest that ACE2 plays a key role in the recruitment of the renal reserve and hyperfiltration associated with diabetes. ..
- Jha J, Banal C, Okabe J, Gray S, Hettige T, Chow B, et al. NADPH Oxidase Nox5 Accelerates Renal Injury in Diabetic Nephropathy. Diabetes. 2017;66:2691-2703 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study provides evidence of a role for Nox5 and its derived ROS in promoting progression of diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Wang Y, Ghali J, Zhang G, Hu M, Wang Y, Sawyer A, et al. Development and function of Foxp3(+) regulatory T cells. Nephrology (Carlton). 2016;21:81-5 pubmed publisher..Specifically in kidney disease, Tregs have been shown to play a role in limiting injury and may potentially have a therapeutic role. ..
- Sorocos K, Kostoulias X, Cullen McEwen L, Hart A, Bertram J, Caruana G. Expression patterns and roles of periostin during kidney and ureter development. J Urol. 2011;186:1537-44 pubmed publisher..Together these results suggest that periostin and bone morphogenetic protein 4 may have a role in branching morphogenesis, nephrogenesis and possibly smooth muscle cell migration. ..
- Head G, Burke S. Comparison of renal sympathetic baroreflex effects of rilmenidine and alpha-methylnoradrenaline in the ventrolateral medulla of the rabbit. J Hypertens. 2000;18:1263-76 pubmed..To determine the influence of imidazoline receptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors in the rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) on the renal sympathetic baroreflex...
- Verghese E, Ricardo S, Weidenfeld R, Zhuang J, Hill P, Langham R, et al. Renal primary cilia lengthen after acute tubular necrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:2147-53 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that the length of renal cilia is a clinically relevant indicator of renal injury and repair. ..
- Prior L, Davern P, Burke S, Lim K, Armitage J, Head G. Exposure to a high-fat diet during development alters leptin and ghrelin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2014;63:338-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that offspring from mothers consuming an HFD exhibit an adverse cardiovascular profile in adulthood because of altered central hypothalamic sensitivity to leptin and ghrelin. ..
- Tikellis C, Cooper M, Bialkowski K, Johnston C, Burns W, Lew R, et al. Developmental expression of ACE2 in the SHR kidney: a role in hypertension?. Kidney Int. 2006;70:34-41 pubmed..Further research is required to distinguish the contribution of these changes to the development and progression of hypertension in this model. ..
- Maxwell M, Tsantikos E, Kong A, Vanhaesebroeck B, Tarlinton D, Hibbs M. Attenuation of phosphoinositide 3-kinase ? signaling restrains autoimmune disease. J Autoimmun. 2012;38:381-91 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that agents targeting p110? PI3K need not achieve full blockade of the enzyme to be of great benefit in the treatment of SLE. ..
- Knight K, Uda Y, Findlay M, Brown D, Cronin K, Jamieson E, et al. Vascularized tissue-engineered chambers promote survival and function of transplanted islets and improve glycemic control. FASEB J. 2006;20:565-7 pubmed..05). It is concluded that hyperglycemia in experimental type 1 diabetes can be effectively treated by islets seeded into a vascularized chamber functioning as a "pancreatic organoid." ..
- Bellomo R, Kellum J, Ronco C, Wald R, Martensson J, Maiden M, et al. Acute kidney injury in sepsis. Intensive Care Med. 2017;43:816-828 pubmed publisher..If sepsis resolves, the majority of patients recover renal function. Yet, even a single episode of septic AKI is associated with increased subsequent risk of chronic kidney disease. ..
- Mayorov D, Head G. Influence of rostral ventrolateral medulla on renal sympathetic baroreflex in conscious rabbits. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001;280:R577-87 pubmed..We conclude that the RVLM plays a key role in circulatory control in conscious rabbits. However, we find no evidence for the role of ANG II receptors in the RVLM in the moment-to-moment regulation of AP and RSNA...
- Bouillet P, Cory S, Zhang L, Strasser A, Adams J. Degenerative disorders caused by Bcl-2 deficiency prevented by loss of its BH3-only antagonist Bim. Dev Cell. 2001;1:645-53 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Bim levels set the threshold for initiation of apoptosis in several tissues and suggest that degenerative diseases might be alleviated by blocking BH3-only proteins. ..
- Lekawanvijit S, Kompa A, Zhang Y, Wang B, Kelly D, Krum H. Myocardial infarction impairs renal function, induces renal interstitial fibrosis, and increases renal KIM-1 expression: implications for cardiorenal syndrome. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;302:H1884-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, renal impairment occurs early post-MI and is associated with hemodynamic and structural changes in the kidney possibly via activation of the Smad2 signaling pathway. ..
- Chew P, Yuen D, Stefanovic N, Pete J, Coughlan M, Jandeleit Dahm K, et al. Antiatherosclerotic and renoprotective effects of ebselen in the diabetic apolipoprotein E/GPx1-double knockout mouse. Diabetes. 2010;59:3198-207 pubmed publisher..To investigate the effect of the GPx1-mimetic ebselen on diabetes-associated atherosclerosis and renal injury in a model of increased oxidative stress...
- Kimberley N, Hutson J, Southwell B, Grover S. Vaginal agenesis, the hymen, and associated anomalies. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2012;25:54-8 pubmed publisher..Review anomalies in patients with vaginal agenesis. In particular, to clarify the impact of an absent hymen on the presence of other anomalies; on the success of creating a vagina with dilators; and on sexual function outcomes...
- Wang B, Komers R, Carew R, Winbanks C, Xu B, Herman Edelstein M, et al. Suppression of microRNA-29 expression by TGF-?1 promotes collagen expression and renal fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012;23:252-65 pubmed publisher..Pharmacologic modulation of these miRNAs may have therapeutic potential for progressive renal fibrosis. ..
- Callander G, Thomas W, Bathgate R. Prolonged RXFP1 and RXFP2 signaling can be explained by poor internalization and a lack of beta-arrestin recruitment. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C1058-66 pubmed publisher..The apparent lack of classical regulation for RXFP1 and RXFP2 provides the molecular basis for the prolonged signaling and physiological actions of relaxin and related peptides. ..
- Hering D, Mahfoud F, Walton A, Krum H, Lambert G, Lambert E, et al. Renal denervation in moderate to severe CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012;23:1250-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study suggests a favorable short-term safety profile and beneficial BP effects of catheter-based renal nerve ablation in patients with stage 3-4 CKD and resistant hypertension. ..
- Ma G, Allen T, Cooper M, Cao Z. Calcium channel blockers, either amlodipine or mibefradil, ameliorate renal injury in experimental diabetes. Kidney Int. 2004;66:1090-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that CCBs may be useful in preventing pathologic injury in the diabetic kidney. ..
- Anderson W, Ramsey D, Takata M. Development of hypertension from unilateral renal artery stenosis in conscious dogs. Hypertension. 1990;16:441-51 pubmed..Thus, the hypertension was due at all times to reduced peripheral conductance, with the two kidneys responsible for 40% of this reduced conductance. ..
- Albiston A, Obeyesekere V, Smith R, Krozowski Z. Cloning and tissue distribution of the human 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 enzyme. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1994;105:R11-7 pubmed..These data suggest that 11 beta HSD2 plays an important role in modulating mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptor occupancy by glucocorticoids. ..
- Ristevski S, Tam P, Kola I, Hertzog P. Desrt, an AT-rich interaction domain family transcription factor gene, is an early marker for nephrogenic mesoderm and is expressed dynamically during mouse limb development. Mech Dev. 2001;104:139-42 pubmed..Desrt is also detected in the myotome of the somites, the oro-naso-pharyngeal ectoderm and underlying mesenchyme, otic vesicles, the gut and its derivatives, and transiently in the liver. ..
- Sims Lucas S, Caruana G, Dowling J, Kett M, Bertram J. Augmented and accelerated nephrogenesis in TGF-beta2 heterozygous mutant mice. Pediatr Res. 2008;63:607-12 pubmed publisher..Manipulation of TGF-beta2 signaling in vivo may provide avenues for protection or rescue of nephron endowment in fetuses at risk. ..
- Tikellis C, Johnston C, Forbes J, Burns W, Burrell L, Risvanis J, et al. Characterization of renal angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 in diabetic nephropathy. Hypertension. 2003;41:392-7 pubmed
- Rizkalla B, Forbes J, Cao Z, Boner G, Cooper M. Temporal renal expression of angiogenic growth factors and their receptors in experimental diabetes: role of the renin-angiotensin system. J Hypertens. 2005;23:153-64 pubmed..Furthermore, the effects of angiotensin II receptor blockade on these parameters is consistent with the VEGF-VEGF-R2 and angiopoietin-Tie-2 axes being modulated in the kidney by haemodynamic factors in the diabetic context. ..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Sugimoto K, Kawaguchi H, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, et al. High plasma norepinephrine levels associated with beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms predict future renal damage in nonobese normotensive individuals. Hypertens Res. 2007;30:503-11 pubmed
- Gray L, Sterjovski J, Churchill M, Ellery P, Nasr N, Lewin S, et al. Uncoupling coreceptor usage of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) from macrophage tropism reveals biological properties of CCR5-restricted HIV-1 isolates from patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Virology. 2005;337:384-98 pubmed..Thus, reduced CD4/CCR5 dependence is a phenotype of R5 HIV-1 associated with M-tropism and late stage infection, which may affect the efficacy of HIV-1 entry inhibitors. ..
- Smith C, McClive P, Hudson Q, Sinclair A. Male-specific cell migration into the developing gonad is a conserved process involving PDGF signalling. Dev Biol. 2005;284:337-50 pubmed..Taken together, these studies indicate that a key cellular event in gonadal sex differentiation is conserved among higher vertebrates, that it involves PDGF signalling, and that in mammals is an indirect effect of Sry expression. ..
- Thomas M, Tsalamandris C, Macisaac R, Jerums G. Functional erythropoietin deficiency in patients with Type 2 diabetes and anaemia. Diabet Med. 2006;23:502-9 pubmed..The likelihood of functional erythropoietin deficiency as a cause of anaemia is not dependent on the severity of renal impairment or excluded in diabetic patients with reduced iron stores or availability. ..
- Cristiano B, Chan J, Hannan K, Lundie N, Marmy Conus N, Campbell I, et al. A specific role for AKT3 in the genesis of ovarian cancer through modulation of G(2)-M phase transition. Cancer Res. 2006;66:11718-25 pubmed..These findings are consistent with AKT3 playing a key role in the genesis of at least one subset of ovarian cancers. ..
- Hughes P, Robati M, Lu W, Zhou J, Strasser A, Bouillet P. Loss of PKD1 and loss of Bcl-2 elicit polycystic kidney disease through distinct mechanisms. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1123-7 pubmed..Loss of one Bcl-2 allele did not influence the PKD1del34 phenotype significantly. We conclude that loss of PKD1 and loss of Bcl-2 elicit PKD through distinct mechanisms. ..
- Harcourt B, Sourris K, Coughlan M, Walker K, Dougherty S, Andrikopoulos S, et al. Targeted reduction of advanced glycation improves renal function in obesity. Kidney Int. 2011;80:190-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeted reduction of the advanced glycation pathway improved renal function in obesity. ..