Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Publications844 found, 100 shown here
- Stockigt J, Lim C. Medications that distort in vitro tests of thyroid function, with particular reference to estimates of serum free thyroxine. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;23:753-67 pubmed publisher..Total serum T4, corrected for alterations in TBG concentration, gives a more robust estimate of thyroxine concentration than current methods of free hormone estimation and should now be reintroduced as the 'gold standard'. ..
- De Silva D, Brekenfeld C, Ebinger M, Christensen S, Barber P, Butcher K, et al. The benefits of intravenous thrombolysis relate to the site of baseline arterial occlusion in the Echoplanar Imaging Thrombolytic Evaluation Trial (EPITHET). Stroke. 2010;41:295-9 pubmed publisher..Arterial obstruction site strongly predicts outcomes. ICA obstruction carries a uniformly poor prognosis, whereas good outcomes with MCA obstruction are associated with tPA therapy. ..
- Bora E, Fornito A, Yucel M, Pantelis C. Voxelwise meta-analysis of gray matter abnormalities in bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;67:1097-105 pubmed publisher..Clinical factors such as illness duration and lithium treatment also impact on case-control comparisons of gray matter volume. ..
- Clemons S, Amir L. Breastfeeding women's experience of expressing: a descriptive study. J Hum Lact. 2010;26:258-65 pubmed publisher..Adverse effects of pumps were pain (17%, 126/737) and damage to nipples (11%, 86/737). Breast pumps may have a role in enabling women to extend the duration of breast milk feeding, but further research is needed...
- Cameron F, Baghurst P, Rodbard D. Assessing glycemic variation: why, when and how?. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2010;7 Suppl 3:432-44 pubmed..The aim of this review is to discuss these 3 key areas: Why measure GV? When can GV be meaningfully assessed?; How to measure to GV?. ..
- Murphy R. Enhanced technique to measure proteins in single segments of human skeletal muscle fibers: fiber-type dependence of AMPK-alpha1 and -beta1. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011;110:820-5 pubmed publisher..Compared with slow-twitch fibers, there was less AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)-?(1) (?25%) and AMPK-?(1) (?60%) in fast-twitch fibers from human skeletal muscle biopsies. ..
- Pettila V, Westbrook A, Nichol A, Bailey M, Wood E, Syres G, et al. Age of red blood cells and mortality in the critically ill. Crit Care. 2011;15:R116 pubmed publisher..01 (95% confidence interval = 1.07 to 3.77). In critically ill patients, in Australia and New Zealand, exposure to older RBCs is independently associated with an increased risk of death. ..
- Bragge P, Clavisi O, Turner T, Tavender E, Collie A, Gruen R. The Global Evidence Mapping Initiative: scoping research in broad topic areas. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2011;11:92 pubmed publisher..Evidence mapping complements other review methods for describing existing research, informing future research efforts, and addressing evidence gaps. ..
- Godler D, Slater H, Bui Q, Ono M, Gehling F, Francis D, et al. FMR1 intron 1 methylation predicts FMRP expression in blood of female carriers of expanded FMR1 alleles. J Mol Diagn. 2011;13:528-36 pubmed publisher..Because matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry is amenable to high-throughput processing and requires minimal DNA, these findings have implications for routine FXS testing and population screening. ..
- Hofman M, Beauregard J, Barber T, Neels O, Eu P, Hicks R. 68Ga PET/CT ventilation-perfusion imaging for pulmonary embolism: a pilot study with comparison to conventional scintigraphy. J Nucl Med. 2011;52:1513-9 pubmed publisher..This pilot study assessed the feasibility of performing V/Q PET/CT and compared diagnostic utility with conventional V/Q imaging in patients with clinical suspicion of PE...
- McGain F, WHITE S, Mossenson S, Kayak E, Story D. A survey of anesthesiologists' views of operating room recycling. Anesth Analg. 2012;114:1049-54 pubmed publisher..We suggest studies of the effect of improving operating room recycling facilities, education, and staff attitudes. ..
- Bivard A, Yassi N, Krishnamurthy V, Lin L, Levi C, Spratt N, et al. A comprehensive analysis of metabolic changes in the salvaged penumbra. Neuroradiology. 2016;58:409-15 pubmed publisher..The significant metabolic variation in salvaged tissue may potentially explain some of the variability seen in stroke recovery despite apparently successful reperfusion. ..
- Chatterjee P, Lim W, Shui G, Gupta V, James I, Fagan A, et al. Plasma Phospholipid and Sphingolipid Alterations in Presenilin1 Mutation Carriers: A Pilot Study. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016;50:887-94 pubmed publisher..Further, findings reported in this study allow comparison of lipid alterations in ADAD with those reported previously in sporadic AD. The findings observed in the current pilot study warrant validation in the larger DIAN cohort. ..
- Miller S, Senior P, Prakash M, Apostolopoulos V, Sakkal S, Nurgali K. Leukocyte populations and IL-6 in the tumor microenvironment of an orthotopic colorectal cancer model. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2016;48:334-41 pubmed publisher..In summary, the kinetics of the immune response to CRC and the key effector lymphocytes that are implicated in tumor immunity are demonstrated. Furthermore, IL-6 is a key cytokine present within the tumor microenvironment. ..
- Chiarotto A, Ostelo R, Turk D, Buchbinder R, Boers M. Core outcome sets for research and clinical practice. Braz J Phys Ther. 2017;21:77-84 pubmed publisher..There is a lack of COSs for neurological, geriatric, cardio-respiratory and pediatric conditions, therefore, future research could determine the value of developing COSs for these conditions. ..
- Edgeworth D, Keating D, Ellis M, Button B, Williams E, Clark D, et al. Improvement in exercise duration, lung function and well-being in G551D-cystic fibrosis patients: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, cross-over study with ivacaftor treatment. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:2037-2045 pubmed publisher..Investigation over a more prolonged period may delineate the potential interdependencies of the observed discordances over time. ClinicalTrials.gov-NCT01937325. ..
- Crowe S, Mills J, Kirihara J, Boothman J, Marshall J, McGrath M. Full-length recombinant CD4 and recombinant gp120 inhibit fusion between HIV infected macrophages and uninfected CD4-expressing T-lymphoblastoid cells. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1990;6:1031-7 pubmed..These results indicate that both molecules (gp120 and CD4) are critical to the fusion process, and suggest that gp120 is expressed on the surface of HIV-infected monocyte-macrophages. ..
- Aldred M, Hall R, Kilpatrick N, Bankier A, Savarirayan R, Lamande S, et al. Molecular analysis for genetic counselling in amelogenesis imperfecta. Oral Dis. 2002;8:249-53 pubmed..The firm establishment of an X-linked mode of inheritance affects the genetic counselling for this family. ..
- Howard A, Dean D, Cooper S, Kirtshig G, Wojnarowska F. Circulating basement membrane zone antibodies are found in lichen sclerosus of the vulva. Australas J Dermatol. 2004;45:12-5 pubmed..These antibodies may be a reflection of a tendency to produce autoantibodies or be relevant to pathogenesis. ..
- Eime R, Owen N, Finch C. Protective eyewear promotion: applying principles of behaviour change in the design of a squash injury prevention programme. Sports Med. 2004;34:629-38 pubmed..Attempts were made within the project structure to make provision for the future dissemination and sustainability of more widespread eye injury prevention measures in the sport of squash. ..
- Lamb G. Rippling muscle disease may be caused by "silent" action potentials in the tubular system of skeletal muscle fibers. Muscle Nerve. 2005;31:652-8 pubmed..It is suggested that the distinctive contractions in RMD may be due to stretch-induced generation of action potentials within the tubular system. ..
- Tilley L, Sougrat R, Lithgow T, Hanssen E. The twists and turns of Maurer's cleft trafficking in P. falciparum-infected erythrocytes. Traffic. 2008;9:187-97 pubmed..Visualization of both resident and cargo proteins has helped decipher the signals and routes for trafficking of parasite proteins to the MC and beyond...
- Dow L, Elsum I, King C, Kinross K, Richardson H, Humbert P. Loss of human Scribble cooperates with H-Ras to promote cell invasion through deregulation of MAPK signalling. Oncogene. 2008;27:5988-6001 pubmed publisher..Our data identify Scribble as an important mediator of MAPK signalling and provide a molecular basis for the observation that Scribble expression is decreased in many invasive human cancers. ..
- Thomas S, Milnes S, Komesaroff P. Understanding organ donation in the collaborative era: a qualitative study of staff and family experiences. Intern Med J. 2009;39:588-94 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that we should not assume that 'rates' of donation in Australia would increase merely through administrative programmes or marketing campaigns. ..
- Lillywhite L, Saling M, Harvey A, Abbott D, Archer J, Vears D, et al. Neuropsychological and functional MRI studies provide converging evidence of anterior language dysfunction in BECTS. Epilepsia. 2009;50:2276-84 pubmed publisher..The converging lines of evidence from the neuropsychological and activation methodologies support the view that BECTS is associated with language difficulties that are regional, and anterior, in nature. ..
- Braithwaite M, Philip J, Finlayson F, Tranberg H, Gold M, Kotsimbos T, et al. Adverse events arising from a palliative care survey. Palliat Med. 2009;23:665-9 pubmed publisher..Also arising from adverse responses and the complaint process, is the impact of criticism on study researchers. ..
- Pardoe H, Pell G, Abbott D, Jackson G. Hippocampal volume assessment in temporal lobe epilepsy: How good is automated segmentation?. Epilepsia. 2009;50:2586-92 pubmed publisher..In our study Freesurfer was the most sensitive to hippocampal atrophy in mTLE and could be used if expert manual segmentation is not available. ..
- Kee K, Naughton M. Heart failure and sleep-disordered breathing: mechanisms, consequences and treatment. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2009;15:565-70 pubmed publisher..Identification of SDB in the CHF population appears to be important as it is probably associated with greater mortality, but whether SDB intervention significantly influences CHF survival still remains to be determined. ..
- Azzopardi P, Bennett C, Graham S, Duke T. Bacille Calmette-Guérin vaccine-related disease in HIV-infected children: a systematic review. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:1331-44 pubmed..Data on the risk of BCG vaccination in HIV-infected children are limited. Targeted surveillance for BCG complications employing sophisticated diagnostic techniques is required to inform vaccination policy. ..
- Barry A, Schultz L, Buckee C, Reeder J. Contrasting population structures of the genes encoding ten leading vaccine-candidate antigens of the human malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8497 pubmed publisher..The results of this study also provide a realistic framework for the diversity of these antigens to be incorporated into the design of next-generation malaria vaccines. ..
- Rosenfeld J. The evolution of treatment for hypothalamic hamartoma: a personal odyssey. Neurosurg Focus. 2011;30:E1 pubmed..Total seizure-freedom rates of 52% to 66% have been achieved with surgery...
- MacKinnon R, Duivenvoorden H, Campbell L. Unbalanced translocations of 20q in AML and MDS often involve interstitial rather than terminal deletions of 20q. Cancer Genet. 2011;204:153-61 pubmed publisher..This points to a more complex mechanism of translocation involving at least three breakpoints and two separate events, and raises questions about the order of these events and the significance of these abnormalities. ..
- Cai M, McMahon L, Smith E, Williams D, Holt S. Hyperparathyroidism in chronic kidney disease: complexities within the commonplace. Clin Med (Lond). 2012;12:333-7 pubmed..We present four cases of hyperparathyroidism in patients with CKD that highlight some of these dilemmas. ..
- Smith G, Dyson K, Taylor D, Morgans A, Cantwell K. Effectiveness of the Valsalva Manoeuvre for reversion of supraventricular tachycardia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD009502 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed and this should include a standardised approach to performance technique and methodology. ..
- Scheffer I, Heron S, Regan B, Mandelstam S, Crompton D, Hodgson B, et al. Mutations in mammalian target of rapamycin regulator DEPDC5 cause focal epilepsy with brain malformations. Ann Neurol. 2014;75:782-7 pubmed publisher..The clinicoradiological phenotypes associated with DEPDC5 mutations share features with the archetypal mTORopathy, tuberous sclerosis, raising the possibility of therapies targeted to this pathway. ..
- Jackson T, Dimitropoulos V, Madden R, Gillett S. Australian diagnosis related groups: Drivers of complexity adjustment. Health Policy. 2015;119:1433-41 pubmed publisher..Development of casemix classifications in health care is driven by both technical and socio-political factors. Use of additional diagnoses to adjust for patient complexity and cost needs to respond to these in each casemix application. ..
- Helck A, Schumann C, Aumann J, Thierfelder K, Strobl F, Braunagel M, et al. Automatic path proposal computation for CT-guided percutaneous liver biopsy. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2016;11:2199-2205 pubmed..Automatic software-based path proposal for CT-guided liver biopsies in the majority provides path proposals that are easy to establish and comparable to experts' insertion trajectories. ..
- Than K, Tin K, La T, Thant K, Myint T, Beeson J, et al. The potential of task shifting selected maternal interventions to auxiliary midwives in Myanmar: a mixed-method study. BMC Public Health. 2018;18:99 pubmed publisher..With the current national government's commitment towards one AMW in one village, this study highlights the potential for shifting specific maternal lifesaving tasks to AMWs. ..
- Reubinoff B, Pera M, Fong C, Trounson A, Bongso A. Embryonic stem cell lines from human blastocysts: somatic differentiation in vitro. Nat Biotechnol. 2000;18:399-404 pubmed..Embryonic stem cells provide a model to study early human embryology, an investigational tool for discovery of novel growth factors and medicines, and a potential source of cells for use in transplantation therapy. ..
- Triglia T, Thompson J, Caruana S, Delorenzi M, Speed T, Cowman A. Identification of proteins from Plasmodium falciparum that are homologous to reticulocyte binding proteins in Plasmodium vivax. Infect Immun. 2001;69:1084-92 pubmed..We identified a parasite clone that lacks the gene for one of these proteins, showing that the gene is not required for normal in vitro growth. Antibodies to these proteins can inhibit merozoite invasion of RBCs. ..
- Kausche A, Jones G, Trounson A, Figueiredo F, MacLachlan V, Lolatgis N. Sex ratio and birth weights of infants born as a result of blastocyst transfers compared with early cleavage stage embryo transfers. Fertil Steril. 2001;76:688-93 pubmed
- O Reilly L, Ekert P, Harvey N, Marsden V, Cullen L, Vaux D, et al. Caspase-2 is not required for thymocyte or neuronal apoptosis even though cleavage of caspase-2 is dependent on both Apaf-1 and caspase-9. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:832-41 pubmed..Caspase-2 processing does not occur in thymocytes lacking Apaf-1 or caspase-9, suggesting that in this cell type, activation of caspase-2 occurs downstream of apoptosome formation. ..
- Mileshkin L, Michael M, O Reilly M, McKenzie A, Stark R. CNS listeriosis confused with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis in a patient with a malignant insulinoma. Am J Clin Oncol. 2002;25:576-9 pubmed..The clinical and radiologic features of this illustrative case are described. Listeriosis is an important treatable differential diagnosis in patients with malignancy presenting with neurologic signs...
- Marti M, Baum J, Rug M, Tilley L, Cowman A. Signal-mediated export of proteins from the malaria parasite to the host erythrocyte. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:587-92 pubmed..Recent data demonstrate that a specific NH(2)-terminal signal conserved across the genus Plasmodium plays a central role in this export process. ..
- Azzam R, Kedzierska K, Leeansyah E, Chan H, Doischer D, Gorry P, et al. Impaired complement-mediated phagocytosis by HIV type-1-infected human monocyte-derived macrophages involves a cAMP-dependent mechanism. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2006;22:619-29 pubmed
- McCaffrey K, Boo I, Poumbourios P, Drummer H. Expression and characterization of a minimal hepatitis C virus glycoprotein E2 core domain that retains CD81 binding. J Virol. 2007;81:9584-90 pubmed..Our data provide insights into the E2 structure by suggesting that the three variable regions reside outside a conserved E2 core. ..
- Leventer R, Guerrini R, Dobyns W. Malformations of cortical development and epilepsy. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2008;10:47-62 pubmed..The malformations tuberous sclerosis, focal cortical dysplasia, hemimegalencephaly, classical lissencephaly, subcortical band heterotopia, periventricular nodular heterotopia, polymicrogyria, and schizencephaly will be presented. ..
- Oppido G, Davies B, McMullan D, Cochrane A, Cheung M, D Udekem Y, et al. Surgical treatment of congenital mitral valve disease: midterm results of a repair-oriented policy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008;135:1313-20; discussion 1320-1 pubmed publisher..Suboptimal primary repair was significant predictor for reoperation but re-repair was often successful. ..
- Audsley J, Tannock G. Cell-based influenza vaccines: progress to date. Drugs. 2008;68:1483-91 pubmed
- Matthews V, Aström M, Chan M, Bruce C, Krabbe K, Prelovsek O, et al. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is produced by skeletal muscle cells in response to contraction and enhances fat oxidation via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase. Diabetologia. 2009;52:1409-18 pubmed publisher..These data identify BDNF as a contraction-inducible protein in skeletal muscle that is capable of enhancing lipid oxidation in skeletal muscle via activation of AMPK. ..
- Calkin A, Drew B, Ono A, Duffy S, Gordon M, Schoenwaelder S, et al. Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein attenuates platelet function in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus by promoting cholesterol efflux. Circulation. 2009;120:2095-104 pubmed publisher..Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein (rHDL) has short-term beneficial effects on atherosclerotic plaques, but whether it can effectively reduce the reactivity of diabetic platelets is not known...
- Crook J, Hei D, Stacey G. The International Stem Cell Banking Initiative (ISCBI): raising standards to bank on. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2010;46:169-72 pubmed publisher..This paper is a brief overview of ISCBI, its primary activities, potential network participants, and the challenges for harmonizing stem cell banking on a global level. ..
- Inglis S, Clark R, McAlister F, Ball J, Lewinter C, Cullington D, et al. Structured telephone support or telemonitoring programmes for patients with chronic heart failure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;:CD007228 pubmed publisher..Structured telephone support and telemonitoring are effective in reducing the risk of all-cause mortality and CHF-related hospitalisations in patients with CHF; they improve quality of life, reduce costs, and evidence-based prescribing. ..
- Richard D, Bartfai R, Volz J, Ralph S, Muller S, Stunnenberg H, et al. A genome-wide chromatin-associated nuclear peroxiredoxin from the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:11746-55 pubmed publisher..Our results represent the first description of a dedicated chromatin-associated peroxiredoxin and potentially represent an ingenious way by which the parasite can survive the highly oxidative environment within its human host...
- Allnutt B, Buraundi S, Farmer P, Southwell B, Hutson J, Balic A. The common fetal development of the mammary fat pad and gubernaculum. J Pediatr Surg. 2011;46:378-83 pubmed publisher..This unique developmental pattern is consistent with a prime role for the MFP in testicular descent. ..
- Michell D, Andrews K, Chin Dusting J. Endothelial dysfunction in hypertension: the role of arginase. Front Biosci (Schol Ed). 2011;3:946-60 pubmed..These pathways may offer alternative mechanisms to treat the complications associated with hypertension rather than the conventional therapies that aim to lower blood pressure. ..
- Katz D, Chin W, Appu S, Harper M, Vukasin F, Tay Y, et al. Novel extraction technique to remove a penile constriction device. J Sex Med. 2012;9:937-40 pubmed publisher..The current case report describes a noninvasive technique for removing a penile constriction device that does not rely on specialized equipment and industrial drills that can cause iatrogenic injury. ..
- Jegaskanda S, Reece J, De Rose R, Stambas J, Sullivan L, Brooks A, et al. Comparison of influenza and SIV specific CD8 T cell responses in macaques. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32431 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that strategies to maintain a more functional CD8(+) T-cell response, profile may assist in controlling HIV disease. ..
- Myles P, Buchanan F, Bain C. The effect of hair colour on anaesthetic requirements and recovery time after surgery. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2012;40:683-9 pubmed..82 (0.57-1.19), P=0.30. We found no evidence that patient hair colour affects anaesthetic requirements or recovery characteristics in a broad range of surgical procedures. ..
- Kunin M, Engelhard D, Piterman L, Thomas S. Response of general practitioners to infectious disease public health crises: an integrative systematic review of the literature. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2013;7:522-33 pubmed publisher..In this integrative systematic review, we identified research-based evidence to (1) challenges that GPs have when participating in pandemics or epidemics and (2) whether GPs from different countries encountered different challenges...
- De Nardo D, Labzin L, Kono H, Seki R, Schmidt S, Beyer M, et al. High-density lipoprotein mediates anti-inflammatory reprogramming of macrophages via the transcriptional regulator ATF3. Nat Immunol. 2014;15:152-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings may explain the broad anti-inflammatory and metabolic actions of HDL and provide the basis for predicting the success of new HDL-based therapies. ..
- Ghijselings I, De Cooman S, Carette R, Peyton P, De Wolf A, Hendrickx J. Performance of an active inspired hypoxic guard. J Clin Monit Comput. 2016;30:63-8 pubmed publisher..The O2 Guard(Â®), an active inspired hypoxic guard, rapidly reverses and limits the duration of inspired hypoxic episodes when the delivered hypoxic guard fails to do so. ..
- Gartoulla P, Bell R, Worsley R, Davis S. Menopausal vasomotor symptoms are associated with poor self-assessed work ability. Maturitas. 2016;87:33-9 pubmed publisher..Although 4 in 5 women functioned well at work, recognition of the association with VMS may improve wellbeing and work performance of working women at midlife. ..
- Gibberd A, Simpson J, Eades S. Use of family relationships improved consistency of identification of Aboriginal people in linked administrative data. J Clin Epidemiol. 2017;90:144-155 pubmed publisher..g., no hospital admissions). When many data sets are linked, more specific algorithms select more representative Aboriginal samples and identify Aboriginality of relatives more consistently. ..
- Morton J, Sanders P, Das A, Vohra J, Sparks P, Kalman J. Focal atrial tachycardia arising from the tricuspid annulus: electrophysiologic and electrocardiographic characteristics. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2001;12:653-9 pubmed..Knowledge of this anatomic distribution and P wave morphology allows targeted mapping and may facilitate successful RFA. ..
- Londrigan S, Graham K, Takada Y, Halasz P, Coulson B. Monkey rotavirus binding to alpha2beta1 integrin requires the alpha2 I domain and is facilitated by the homologous beta1 subunit. J Virol. 2003;77:9486-501 pubmed..Rotavirus-alpha2beta1 binding led to increased virus infection and RRV growth. SA11 and RRV require the alpha2 I domain for binding to alpha2beta1, and their binding to this integrin is distinguishable from that of collagen. ..
- Erber N. Use of hearing aids by older people: influence of non-auditory factors (vision, manual dexterity). Int J Audiol. 2003;42 Suppl 2:2S21-5 pubmed
- O Reilly B, Fynes M, Achtari C, Hiscock R, Thomas E, Murray C, et al. A prospective randomised double-blind controlled trial evaluating the effect of trans-sacral magnetic stimulation in women with overactive bladder. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2008;19:497-502 pubmed..This attempt to promote trans-sacral electromagnetic neuromodulation with a specially created device was ineffective on the symptoms of OAB. ..
- Brown A, Lubman D, Paxton S. STIs and blood borne viruses - risk factors for individuals with mental illness. Aust Fam Physician. 2008;37:531-4 pubmed..General practitioners play an important role in ensuring the sexual health needs of those with mental heath issues are adequately addressed. ..
- Wheeler K, Davis P, Kamlin C, Morley C. Assist control volume guarantee ventilation during surfactant administration. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2009;94:F336-8 pubmed publisher..When giving surfactant during AC/VG ventilation, complete obstruction is common. PIPs increased and remain elevated for 30-60 min. The Pmax setting may restrict tidal volume delivery. ..
- Sehgal A, McNamara P. Does echocardiography facilitate determination of hemodynamic significance attributable to the ductus arteriosus?. Eur J Pediatr. 2009;168:907-14 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will highlight the evidence for echocardiography markers of hemodynamic significance and speculate as to how they may facilitate improved decision making in the neonatal intensive care unit. ..
- Koves I, Cameron F, Kornberg A. Ocular myasthenia gravis and Graves disease in a 10-year-old child. J Child Neurol. 2009;24:615-7 pubmed publisher..Resolution of myasthenia gravis is not expected until the euthyroid state is restored. We recommend complete thyroid status review on all patients presenting with ocular myasthenia gravis. ..
- Thorp A, Healy G, Owen N, Salmon J, Ball K, Shaw J, et al. Deleterious associations of sitting time and television viewing time with cardiometabolic risk biomarkers: Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle (AusDiab) study 2004-2005. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:327-34 pubmed publisher..Preventive initiatives aimed at reducing sitting time should focus on both nonleisure and leisure-time domains. ..
- Chee D, Phillips R, Maixner W, Southwell B, Hutson J. The potential of capillary birthmarks as a significant marker for capillary malformation-arteriovenous malformation syndrome in children who had nontraumatic cerebral hemorrhage. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45:2419-22 pubmed publisher..However, family history and physical examination alone do not confirm CM-AVM but form a useful screening tool to identify families needing further investigations with genetic testing and/or magnetic resonance imaging. ..
- Gabbe B, Biostat G, Lecky F, Bouamra O, Woodford M, Jenks T, et al. The effect of an organized trauma system on mortality in major trauma involving serious head injury: a comparison of the United kingdom and victoria, australia. Ann Surg. 2011;253:138-43 pubmed publisher..This study provides further evidence to support efforts to implement such systems. ..
- Adebayo O, Burrow M, Tyas M, Palamara J. Effect of tooth surface preparation on the bonding of self-etching primer adhesives. Oper Dent. 2012;37:137-49 pubmed publisher..All adhesives exhibited no significant differences in 1SBS on enamel and dentin under the clinical cavity preparation protocols, except for TK on den-tin. SEM revealed areas of altered subsurface enamel/dentin following EL ablation. ..
- Cheasley D, Pereira L, Lightowler S, Vincan E, Malaterre J, Ramsay R. Myb controls intestinal stem cell genes and self-renewal. Stem Cells. 2011;29:2042-50 pubmed publisher..Self-renewal assays using organoid cultures and inducible Myb knockout studies further highlighted the dependence of ISC on Myb consistent with role in other stem cell-containing tissues. ..
- Hoe V, Kelsall H, Urquhart D, Sim M. Risk factors for musculoskeletal symptoms of the neck or shoulder alone or neck and shoulder among hospital nurses. Occup Environ Med. 2012;69:198-204 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that different factors may be associated with a single pain region versus pain in two regions. ..
- McCaffrey K, Boo I, Tewierek K, Edmunds M, Poumbourios P, Drummer H. Role of conserved cysteine residues in hepatitis C virus glycoprotein e2 folding and function. J Virol. 2012;86:3961-74 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the yield of total monomeric E2 increased to 70% in M+C597A. These studies reveal the contribution of each cysteine residue and the nine disulfide pairs to E2 structure and function...
- Yiallourou S, Sands S, Walker A, Horne R. Maturation of heart rate and blood pressure variability during sleep in term-born infants. Sleep. 2012;35:177-86 pubmed publisher..These normative data will aid in the early identification of conditions where autonomic function is impaired, such as in SIDS. ..
- Hodgson J, Gaff C. Enhancing family communication about genetics: ethical and professional dilemmas. J Genet Couns. 2013;22:16-21 pubmed publisher..A subsequent manuscript will describe the counseling framework we have developed to enhance family communication about genetics. ..
- Hickey M, Higham J, Fraser I. Progestogens with or without oestrogen for irregular uterine bleeding associated with anovulation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;:CD001895 pubmed publisher..There is no consensus about which regimens are most effective. Further research is needed to establish the role of these hormonal treatments in the management of this common gynaecological problem. ..
- Carolan M. Maternal age ?45 years and maternal and perinatal outcomes: a review of the evidence. Midwifery. 2013;29:479-89 pubmed publisher..Best outcomes appear to be linked to pre-existing maternal health, and pregnancy care at tertiary centres may also contribute. This information should be used to counsel women aged ?45 years who are contemplating pregnancy. ..
- Sciberras E, Efron D, Schilpzand E, Anderson V, Jongeling B, Hazell P, et al. The Children's Attention Project: a community-based longitudinal study of children with ADHD and non-ADHD controls. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:18 pubmed publisher..The study's examination of a broad range of risk and protective factors and ADHD-related outcomes has the potential to inform novel strategies for intervention and prevention. ..
- McCabe M, Sharlip I, Atalla E, Balon R, Fisher A, Laumann E, et al. Definitions of Sexual Dysfunctions in Women and Men: A Consensus Statement From the Fourth International Consultation on Sexual Medicine 2015. J Sex Med. 2016;13:135-43 pubmed publisher..As more research and clinical studies are conducted, there likely will be modifications of at least some definitions. ..