Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Publications598 found, 100 shown here
- Funder J. Minireview: Aldosterone and mineralocorticoid receptors: past, present, and future. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5098-102 pubmed publisher..Two decades later we still do not know the boundaries, and for every answer, two questions are springing up: truly the more we learn, the less we know. ..
- Lang T, Lo C, Skinner N, Locarnini S, Visvanathan K, Mansell A. The hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg) targets and suppresses activation of the toll-like receptor signaling pathway. J Hepatol. 2011;55:762-9 pubmed publisher..These finding suggest the mechanism as to how HBeAg evades innate immune responses contributing to the pathogenesis of chronic hepatitis B infection and the establishment of viral persistence...
- Donoghue J, McGavigan C, Lederman F, Cann L, Fu L, Dimitriadis E, et al. Dilated thin-walled blood and lymphatic vessels in human endometrium: a potential role for VEGF-D in progestin-induced break-through bleeding. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30916 pubmed publisher..Our results lead to a novel hypothesis to explain BTB, with stromal cell decidualisation rather than progestin treatment per se being the proposed causative event, and VEGF-D being the proposed effector agent. ..
- Georgiou Karistianis N, Scahill R, Tabrizi S, Squitieri F, Aylward E. Structural MRI in Huntington's disease and recommendations for its potential use in clinical trials. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2013;37:480-90 pubmed publisher..We also argue for an intensified effort to consider issues highlighted here so that we have the best chance of assessing the efficacy of the therapeutic benefit in forestalling this devastating disease...
- Gargett C, Zaitseva M, Bucak K, Chu S, Fuller P, Rogers P. 17Beta-estradiol up-regulates vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 expression in human myometrial microvascular endothelial cells: role of estrogen receptor-alpha and -beta. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:4341-9 pubmed..These observations suggest that 17beta-estradiol increases VEGFR-2 expression on human myometrial MEC promoting endothelial cell proliferation, an effect that varies between subjects and appears to be mediated primarily by ERalpha. ..
- Lazar Adler N, Govan B, Cullinane M, Harper M, Adler B, Boyce J. The molecular and cellular basis of pathogenesis in melioidosis: how does Burkholderia pseudomallei cause disease?. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2009;33:1079-99 pubmed publisher..With the recent increase in genomic and molecular studies, the current understanding of the infection process of melioidosis has increased substantially, yet, much still remains to be elucidated...
- Jamieson S, Butzow R, Andersson N, Alexiadis M, Unkila Kallio L, Heikinheimo M, et al. The FOXL2 C134W mutation is characteristic of adult granulosa cell tumors of the ovary. Mod Pathol. 2010;23:1477-85 pubmed publisher..This unique FOXL2 mutation appears to be characteristic of adult granulosa cell tumors...
- Damasiewicz M, Polkinghorne K. Intra-dialytic hypotension and blood volume and blood temperature monitoring. Nephrology (Carlton). 2011;16:13-8 pubmed publisher..We review the clinical utility of these technologies and summarize the current evidence of their effect on reducing the incidence of IDH in haemodialysis population. ..
- Keightley M, Crowhurst M, Layton J, Beilharz T, Markmiller S, Varma S, et al. In vivo mutation of pre-mRNA processing factor 8 (Prpf8) affects transcript splicing, cell survival and myeloid differentiation. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:2150-7 pubmed publisher..Cph provides an animal model for zygotic PRPF8 dysfunction diseases and for evaluating therapeutic interventions. ..
- Robert R, Juglair L, Lim E, Ang C, Wang C, Ebert G, et al. A fully humanized IgG-like bispecific antibody for effective dual targeting of CXCR3 and CCR6. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184278 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that dual targeting of CXCR3 and CCR6 with a fully humanized BsAb may display a potent interventional approach for the treatment of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. ..
- Mellor S, Richards M, Pedersen J, Robertson D, Risbridger G. Loss of the expression and localization of inhibin alpha-subunit in high grade prostate cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83:969-75 pubmed..These results demonstrate that in contrast to ovarian granulosa cell tumors, inhibin alpha gene expression is down-regulated in poorly differentiated prostate cancer. ..
- Dimitriadis E, Robb L, Salamonsen L. Interleukin 11 advances progesterone-induced decidualization of human endometrial stromal cells. Mol Hum Reprod. 2002;8:636-43 pubmed..These results suggest that IL-11 has both paracrine and autocrine actions on human endometrial stromal cells and plays an important role in preparing the human endometrium for implantation. ..
- Liew V, Layani L, Speakman D. Bouveret's syndrome in Melbourne. ANZ J Surg. 2002;72:161-3 pubmed
- Udawela M, Christopoulos G, Tilakaratne N, Christopoulos A, Albiston A, Sexton P. Distinct receptor activity-modifying protein domains differentially modulate interaction with calcitonin receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;69:1984-9 pubmed
- Ojaimi S, Buttery J, Korman T. Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus recombinant vaccine associated lipoatrophy. Vaccine. 2009;27:4876-8 pubmed publisher..There have also been reports in association with Diptheria Pertussis Tetanus (DPT) vaccine. We report on two cases of lipoatrophy associated with the new Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) recombinant vaccine (Gardasil). ..
- Lin S, Kolle G, Grimmond S, Zhou Q, Doust E, Little M, et al. Subfractionation of differentiating human embryonic stem cell populations allows the isolation of a mesodermal population enriched for intermediate mesoderm and putative renal progenitors. Stem Cells Dev. 2010;19:1637-48 pubmed publisher..5 and the corticonephrogenic interstitium at E15.5 of murine kidney development. Hence, this approach confirms an ability to direct human ES cells toward a renal progenitor state. ..
- Tan K, Lai N. Telemedicine for the support of parents of high-risk newborn infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;:CD006818 pubmed publisher..Clinical trials are needed to assess the application of telemedicine to support parents and families of infants in NICU with length of hospital stay and their perception of NICU care as the major outcomes. ..
- Chand A, Pathirage N, Lazarus K, Chu S, Drummond A, Fuller P, et al. Liver receptor homologue-1 expression in ovarian epithelial and granulosa cell tumours. Steroids. 2013;78:700-6 pubmed publisher..Its role in this disease therefore warrants further investigation. ..
- Trujillo J, Gras S, Twist K, Croft N, Channappanavar R, Rossjohn J, et al. Structural and functional correlates of enhanced antiviral immunity generated by heteroclitic CD8 T cell epitopes. J Immunol. 2014;192:5245-56 pubmed publisher..Our data highlight that increased peptide/MHC complex display contributes to heteroclitic epitope efficacy and describe parameters for maximizing immune responses that cross-react with the native epitope. ..
- Ellisdon A, Halls M. Compartmentalization of GPCR signalling controls unique cellular responses. Biochem Soc Trans. 2016;44:562-7 pubmed publisher..A high-resolution understanding of how compartmentalized signalling is controlled will probably provide unique opportunities to selectively and therapeutically target GPCRs. ..
- Scott C, Tilbrook A, Simmons D, Rawson J, Chu S, Fuller P, et al. The distribution of cells containing estrogen receptor-alpha (ERalpha) and ERbeta messenger ribonucleic acid in the preoptic area and hypothalamus of the sheep: comparison of males and females. Endocrinology. 2000;141:2951-62 pubmed..Low levels of ERbeta mRNA in the preoptic area and ventromedial and arcuate nuclei, regions known to be important for the regulation of reproduction, suggest that ERbeta may not be involved in these functions. ..
- Chu S, Nishi Y, Yanase T, Nawata H, Fuller P. Transrepression of estrogen receptor beta signaling by nuclear factor-kappab in ovarian granulosa cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1919-28 pubmed..Recent evidence suggests that ERbeta may function to promote differentiation. The inhibition of ERbeta in combination with the antiapoptotic properties of NF-kappaB may therefore contribute to pathogenesis of GCT. ..
- Ghildyal R, Jordan B, Li D, Dagher H, Bardin P, Gern J, et al. Rhinovirus 3C protease can localize in the nucleus and alter active and passive nucleocytoplasmic transport. J Virol. 2009;83:7349-52 pubmed publisher..3C may thus contribute to host cell shutoff in infected cells by localizing in the nucleus and facilitating nuclear pore breakdown. ..
- Dimitriadis E, Nie G, Hannan N, Paiva P, Salamonsen L. Local regulation of implantation at the human fetal-maternal interface. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:313-22 pubmed publisher..This is important for both directing and restraining trophoblast invasion and for leukocyte trafficking into the decidua until the placenta is fully established. ..
- Mackay I. Travels and travails of autoimmunity: a historical journey from discovery to rediscovery. Autoimmun Rev. 2010;9:A251-8 pubmed publisher..This present conspectus arbitrarily concludes at year 1965, recognizing that the history of autoimmunity even now is far from over. ..
- Bilandzic M, Stenvers K. Betaglycan: a multifunctional accessory. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;339:180-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, this review encompasses a discussion of the emerging roles of the betaglycan/inhibin pathway in reproductive cancers and disease. ..
- Gao Y, Truong Y, Cacioli P, Butler P, Kyratzis I. Bioremediation of pesticide contaminated water using an organophosphate degrading enzyme immobilized on nonwoven polyester textiles. Enzyme Microb Technol. 2014;54:38-44 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that OpdA immobilized on nonwoven polyester fabrics is useful in environmental remediation of organophosphate compounds. ..
- Rowley M, Scealy M, Whisstock J, Jois J, Wijeyewickrema L, Mackay I. Prediction of the immunodominant epitope of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex E2 in primary biliary cirrhosis using phage display. J Immunol. 2000;164:3413-9 pubmed..The peptide sequences, along with the known NMR structure of the inner lipoyl domain of PDC-E2, allow the prediction of nonsequential residues 131HM132 and 178FEV180 that contribute to a conformational epitope. ..
- Mackay I, Whittingham S, Fida S, Myers M, Ikuno N, Gershwin M, et al. The peculiar autoimmunity of primary biliary cirrhosis. Immunol Rev. 2000;174:226-37 pubmed
- Rogers P, Donoghue J, Girling J. Endometrial lymphangiogensis. Placenta. 2008;29 Suppl A:S48-54 pubmed..There is also a close association between some lymphatics in the basalis and the spiral arterioles, thus identifying a potential mechanism for a vascular control feedback loop. ..
- Murhandarwati E, Wang L, Black C, Nhan D, Richie T, Coppel R. Inhibitory antibodies specific for the 19-kilodalton fragment of merozoite surface protein 1 do not correlate with delayed appearance of infection with Plasmodium falciparum in semi-immune individuals in Vietnam. Infect Immun. 2009;77:4510-7 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for understanding naturally acquired immunity to malaria and for the development and evaluation of MSP1(19)-based vaccines. ..
- Young J, Dias V, Loveland K. Defining the window of germline genesis in vitro from murine embryonic stem cells. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:390-401 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that signaling by BMP2 and BMP4, but not BMP8B, enhances germline marker expression within EBs and identify Day 3 to Day 5 in EB differentiation as a window for specification of germ cells in vitro. ..
- Blackford R. Moral pluralism versus the total view: why Singer is wrong about radical life extension. J Med Ethics. 2009;35:747-52 pubmed publisher..A more pluralistic account of the nature of morality promises to solve these problems, and in this case it reaches a benevolent recommendation on life-extension technology. ..
- Grubman A, Kaparakis M, Viala J, Allison C, Badea L, Karrar A, et al. The innate immune molecule, NOD1, regulates direct killing of Helicobacter pylori by antimicrobial peptides. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:626-39 pubmed publisher..pylori bacteria by epithelial cells and confirms the importance of NOD1 in host defence mechanisms against cagPAI(+)H. pylori infection. ..
- Singh H, Makino S, Endo Y, Li Y, Stephens A, Nie G. Application of the wheat-germ cell-free translation system to produce high temperature requirement A3 (HtrA3) proteases. Biotechniques. 2012;52:23-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrated the unique utility of the wheat-germ cell-free translation system for producing and characterizing human HtrA3. These strategies will be likely applicable to a wide range of proteases. ..
- Harper M, Boyce J, Adler B. The key surface components of Pasteurella multocida: capsule and lipopolysaccharide. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2012;361:39-51 pubmed publisher..In addition, LPS is a major antigen in the stimulation of adaptive immune responses to infection...
- Forrester H, Temple Smith P, Ham S, de Kretser D, Southwick G, Sprung C. Genome-wide analysis using exon arrays demonstrates an important role for expression of extra-cellular matrix, fibrotic control and tissue remodelling genes in Dupuytren's disease. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59056 pubmed publisher..In addition, alternative splicing was identified in some DD associated genes. These highly sensitive genomic investigations provide new insight into the molecular mechanisms that may underpin the development and progression of DD. ..
- Gyawali B, Koomulli Parambil S, Iddawela M. Continuous versus intermittent docetaxel for metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;102:118-24 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the data from available studies regarding the feasibility and controversies of intermittent docetaxel in prostate cancer. ..
- Hey A, Browne C, Simpson R, Thorburn G. Simultaneous isolation of insulin-like growth factors I and II from adult sheep serum. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;997:27-35 pubmed..The isolation procedure represents one of general utility that can be easily modified to facilitate the isolation of recombinant IGFs from culture fluid. ..
- Zhang C, Sriratana A, Minamikawa T, Nagley P. Photosensitisation properties of mitochondrially localised green fluorescent protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;242:390-5 pubmed..Thus, GFP5 can be used in the development of an organelle-specific photosensitiser since it can be targeted to different subcellular locations by protein engineering of the signal sequences. ..
- Wang L, Crouch L, Richie T, Nhan D, Coppel R. Naturally acquired antibody responses to the components of the Plasmodium falciparum merozoite surface protein 1 complex. Parasite Immunol. 2003;25:403-12 pubmed..No correlation was observed between the antibodies at the commencement of the study and absence of parasitaemia during surveillance in this population. ..
- Buzza M, Zamurs L, Sun J, Bird C, Smith A, Trapani J, et al. Extracellular matrix remodeling by human granzyme B via cleavage of vitronectin, fibronectin, and laminin. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23549-58 pubmed..It may also contribute to tissue destruction in diseases in which extracellular GrB is evident, such as rheumatoid arthritis and atherosclerosis. ..
- Liu J, Sumer H, Leung J, Upton K, Dottori M, Pebay A, et al. Late passage human fibroblasts induced to pluripotency are capable of directed neuronal differentiation. Cell Transplant. 2011;20:193-203 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these iPS cells differentiate into cell types representative of the three germ layers in teratomas in vivo, and directed neuronal differentiation in vitro. ..
- Kennan R, Han X, Porter C, Rood J. The pathogenesis of ovine footrot. Vet Microbiol. 2011;153:59-66 pubmed publisher..Finally, virulence experiments in sheep have shown that the AprV2 protease is required for virulence...
- Udabage L, Brownlee G, Stern R, Brown T. Inhibition of hyaluronan degradation by dextran sulphate facilitates characterisation of hyaluronan synthesis: an in vitro and in vivo study. Glycoconj J. 2004;20:461-71 pubmed..These results suggest dynamic feedback signalling and complex mechanisms occur in the net deposition of HA in vivo. ..
- Martin P, MacLeod C. Behavioral management of headache triggers: Avoidance of triggers is an inadequate strategy. Clin Psychol Rev. 2009;29:483-95 pubmed publisher..It argues that the philosophy of 'avoidance of triggers' should be replaced with 'coping with triggers,' as the latter includes both avoidance and approach/confront strategies involving exposure to triggers. ..
- Ruwanpura S, McLachlan R, Meachem S. Hormonal regulation of male germ cell development. J Endocrinol. 2010;205:117-31 pubmed publisher..Therefore understanding the basic mechanisms by which hormones govern germ cell progression are important steps towards improved understating of fertility regulation in health diseases. ..
- Micallef S, Li X, Schiesser J, Hirst C, Yu Q, Lim S, et al. INS(GFP/w) human embryonic stem cells facilitate isolation of in vitro derived insulin-producing cells. Diabetologia. 2012;55:694-706 pubmed publisher..INS(GFP/w) hESCs are a valuable tool for investigating the nature of early INS⁺ progenitors in beta cell ontogeny and will facilitate the development of novel protocols for generating INS⁺ cells from differentiating hESCs. ..
- Forster S. Interferon signatures in immune disorders and disease. Immunol Cell Biol. 2012;90:520-7 pubmed publisher..Understanding these signatures, the disease-specific differences and the biological effects induced has the potential to facilitate IFN-driven therapeutic development. ..
- Royce S, Shen M, Patel K, Huuskes B, Ricardo S, Samuel C. Mesenchymal stem cells and serelaxin synergistically abrogate established airway fibrosis in an experimental model of chronic allergic airways disease. Stem Cell Res. 2015;15:495-505 pubmed publisher..RLN appeared to enhance the therapeutic effects of MSCs in a chronic disease setting; most likely a consequence of the ability of RLN to limit TGF-Î²1-induced matrix synthesis complemented by the MMP-promoting effects of MSCs. ..
- Lourbakos A, Potempa J, Travis J, D Andrea M, Andrade Gordon P, Santulli R, et al. Arginine-specific protease from Porphyromonas gingivalis activates protease-activated receptors on human oral epithelial cells and induces interleukin-6 secretion. Infect Immun. 2001;69:5121-30 pubmed..gingivalis might mediate inflammatory events associated with periodontal disease on first contact with a primary barrier of cells. ..
- Trounson A. Research must continue on preimplantation genetic diagnosis methodologies. Fertil Steril. 2004;82:299 pubmed..Further research is required to enable a larger pool of appropriate patients to benefit from preimplantation genetic diagnosis...
- Hannan N, Salamonsen L. CX3CL1 and CCL14 regulate extracellular matrix and adhesion molecules in the trophoblast: potential roles in human embryo implantation. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:58-65 pubmed publisher..For the first time, this study demonstrates the direct effects of CX3CL1 and CCL14 on trophoblast adhesion molecules and ECM, suggesting mechanisms by which trophoblast cells migrate during early pregnancy. ..
- Ludlow K, Bowman D, Kirk D. Hitting the mark or falling short with nanotechnology regulation?. Trends Biotechnol. 2009;27:615-20 pubmed publisher..With varying responses between jurisdictions appearing inevitable, we argue that the timing and type of regulation adopted for nanotechnology, and its appropriateness, will be crucial to its commercial success. ..
- Swan M, Moore G, Sievert W, Devonshire D. Efficacy and safety of single-session argon plasma coagulation in the management of chronic radiation proctitis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010;72:150-4 pubmed publisher..The benefits were offset by an increased incidence of short-term complications but no increase in long-term complications. ..
- Kaur G, Lieu K, Jans D. 70-kDa heat shock cognate protein hsc70 mediates calmodulin-dependent nuclear import of the sex-determining factor SRY. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4148-57 pubmed publisher..Our novel findings strongly implicate hsc70 in CaM-dependent nuclear import of SRY. ..
- Griffiths K, Dolezal O, Cao B, Nilsson S, See H, Pfleger K, et al. i-bodies, Human Single Domain Antibodies That Antagonize Chemokine Receptor CXCR4. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12641-57 pubmed publisher..Epitope mapping of the three CXCR4 i-bodies AM3-114, AM4-272, and AM3-523 revealed binding deep in the binding pocket of the receptor. ..
- Berger P, Kyriakides M, Smolich J, Ramsden C, Walker A. Massive decline in lung liquid before vaginal delivery at term in the fetal lamb. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998;178:223-7 pubmed
- Okada H, Nie G, Salamonsen L. Requirement for proprotein convertase 5/6 during decidualization of human endometrial stromal cells in vitro. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:1028-34 pubmed..These results suggest that PC5/6 plays a key role for decidualization in human endometrium. ..
- Davis R, Ng E, Costa M, Mossman A, Sourris K, Elefanty A, et al. Targeting a GFP reporter gene to the MIXL1 locus of human embryonic stem cells identifies human primitive streak-like cells and enables isolation of primitive hematopoietic precursors. Blood. 2008;111:1876-84 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate the utility of MIXL1(GFP/w) HESCs for analyzing the previously inaccessible events surrounding the development of human primitive streak-like cells and their subsequent commitment to hematopoiesis. ..
- Smith D, Cossins L, Hatzinisiriou I, Haber M, Nagley P. Lack of correlation between MYCN expression and the Warburg effect in neuroblastoma cell lines. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:259 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest preferential use of glycolysis for energy production and MYCN expression may be independent markers of neuroblastoma malignancy in vitro if not in vivo. ..
- Mann C, Canny B, Lindley J, Rajan R. The influence of language family on academic performance in Year 1 and 2 MBBS students. Med Educ. 2010;44:786-94 pubmed publisher..However, given that language family differences exist, this may reflect acculturation rather than simply English language skills. ..
- Addamo P, Farrow M, Bradshaw J, Moss S, Georgiou Karistianis N. The effect of attending to motor overflow on its voluntary inhibition in young and older adults. Brain Cogn. 2010;74:358-64 pubmed publisher..Both Age Groups could significantly reduce overflow when so requested, independent of visual feedback. Thus motor overflow can be modulated by higher order cognitive control with directed attention. ..
- Makanji Y, Harrison C, Robertson D. Feedback regulation by inhibins A and B of the pituitary secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone. Vitam Horm. 2011;85:299-321 pubmed publisher..While this review reinforces the important role inhibin plays in regulating FSH, the observed differences in mode of action of inhibins A and B and their interplay with other gonadal factors are still poorly understood. ..
- Sidhu S, Falzon G, Hart S, Fox J, Lewis R, Siu K. Classification of breast tissue using a laboratory system for small-angle x-ray scattering (SAXS). Phys Med Biol. 2011;56:6779-91 pubmed publisher..A closer examination of the amorphous scattering intensity showed not only a trend of increased scattering intensity with disease severity, but also a corresponding decrease in the size of the scatterers contributing to this intensity. ..
- Goldshmit Y, Sztal T, Jusuf P, Hall T, Nguyen Chi M, Currie P. Fgf-dependent glial cell bridges facilitate spinal cord regeneration in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7477-92 pubmed publisher..This suggests that differential Fgf regulation, rather than intrinsic cell differences, underlie the distinct responses of mammalian and zebrafish glia to injury. ..
- Rogers S, Fey D, McCloy R, Parker B, Mitchell N, Payne R, et al. PP1 initiates the dephosphorylation of MASTL, triggering mitotic exit and bistability in human cells. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:1340-54 pubmed publisher..This feedback loop drives complete deactivation of MASTL, ensuring a strong switch-like activation of phosphatase activity during mitotic exit. ..
- Davis S. The effects of tibolone on mood and libido. Menopause. 2002;9:162-70 pubmed..Hence, tibolone provides another option for menopausal women experiencing loss of libido as part of their symptomatology or who have persistent low libido despite adequate estrogen/progestin replacement therapy. ..
- Pathirage N, Di Nezza L, Salmonsen L, Jobling T, Simpson E, Clyne C. Expression of aromatase, estrogen receptors, and their coactivators in patients with endometrial cancer. Fertil Steril. 2006;86:469-72 pubmed
- Ilancheran S, Michalska A, Peh G, Wallace E, Pera M, Manuelpillai U. Stem cells derived from human fetal membranes display multilineage differentiation potential. Biol Reprod. 2007;77:577-88 pubmed..These observations suggest that the term amnion, an abundant and easily accessible tissue, may be a useful source of multipotent stem cells that possess a degree of immune privilege. ..
- Watt M, Spriet L. Triacylglycerol lipases and metabolic control: implications for health and disease. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;299:E162-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this review outlines recent advances that propose a "revised" role for TG lipases in cellular function, metabolic homeostasis, and disease prevention. ..
- Wagstaff K, Rawlinson S, Hearps A, Jans D. An AlphaScreen®-based assay for high-throughput screening for specific inhibitors of nuclear import. J Biomol Screen. 2011;16:192-200 pubmed publisher..The authors validate the activity and specificity of mifepristone and ivermectin in inhibiting nuclear protein import in living cells, underlining the utility of the screening approach. ..
- Elliott D, Braam S, Koutsis K, Ng E, Jenny R, Lagerqvist E, et al. NKX2-5(eGFP/w) hESCs for isolation of human cardiac progenitors and cardiomyocytes. Nat Methods. 2011;8:1037-40 pubmed publisher..We used NKX2-5 eGFP(+) cells to identify VCAM1 and SIRPA as cell-surface markers expressed in cardiac lineages. ..
- Thrift A, Arabshahi S. Is stroke incidence in low- to middle-income countries driven by economics?. Int J Stroke. 2012;7:307-8 pubmed publisher..Public health messages and prevention strategies must therefore be targeted regionally rather than nationwide. Without a comprehensive and multifaceted approach to prevention, the epidemic of stroke will continue. ..
- Lowry K, Murray S, McLean C, Talman P, Mathers S, Lopes E, et al. A potential role for the p75 low-affinity neurotrophin receptor in spinal motor neuron degeneration in murine and human amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2001;2:127-34 pubmed..The precise mechanism by which this receptor drives the apoptotic process, both in murine SOD1-G93A motor neuron degeneration and in human amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, remains to be determined. ..
- Gantier M, Tong S, Behlke M, Xu D, Phipps S, Foster P, et al. TLR7 is involved in sequence-specific sensing of single-stranded RNAs in human macrophages. J Immunol. 2008;180:2117-24 pubmed..Our results suggest that differential sequence-specific sensing of RNA oligonucleotides between human and mouse macrophages is due to the modulation of TLR7 sensing by human TLR8. ..
- Sehgal A, Ramsden C, McNamara P. Indomethacin impairs coronary perfusion in infants with hemodynamically significant ductus arteriosus. Neonatology. 2012;101:20-7 pubmed publisher..These indices showed partial recovery when reassessed after 60 min. There were no changes in left ventricular output or transductal flow. Intravenous indomethacin was followed by a decline in coronary arterial diastolic blood flow. ..
- Ethier J, Farnworth P, Findlay J, Ooi G. Transforming growth factor-beta modulates inhibin A bioactivity in the LbetaT2 gonadotrope cell line by competing for binding to betaglycan. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2754-63 pubmed..We propose that under certain circumstances, TGFbeta may facilitate activin biological activity by hindering the access of inhibin to its coreceptor betaglycan. ..