Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on blood pressure in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Locale: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Topic: blood pressure
Publications103 found, 100 shown here
- Hoppe C, Moritz K, Fitzgerald S, Bertram J, Evans R. Transient hypertension and sustained tachycardia in mice housed individually in metabolism cages. Physiol Res. 2009;58:69-75 pubmed..These results demonstrate sustained changes in cardiovascular function when mice are housed in metabolism cages, which could potentially affect renal function. ..
- Davern P, Jackson K, Nguyen Huu T, La Greca L, Head G. Cardiovascular responses to aversive and nonaversive stressors in Schlager genetically hypertensive mice. Am J Hypertens. 2010;23:838-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, BPH/2J hypertensive mice may be a particularly relevant model for human hypertensive patients that overrespond to daily stressors. ..
- Pellegrino V, Mudaliar Y, Gopalakrishnan M, Horton M, Killick C, Parkin W, et al. Computer based haemodynamic guidance system is effective and safe in management of postoperative cardiac surgery patients. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2011;39:191-201 pubmed..There were no device-related adverse events. Guided haemodynamic therapy with the Navigator device was non-inferior to standard intensive care unit therapy. The study was registered with ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT00468247. ..
- Rajapakse N, Mattson D. Role of cellular L-arginine uptake and nitric oxide production on renal blood flow and arterial pressure regulation. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2013;22:45-50 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, we propose that L-Arg transporters are a new treatment target in hypertension and in disease states where renal NO bioavailability is disturbed. ..
- McNamara K, O Reilly S, George J, Peterson G, Jackson S, Duncan G, et al. Intervention fidelity for a complex behaviour change intervention in community pharmacy addressing cardiovascular disease risk. Health Educ Res. 2015;30:897-909 pubmed publisher..Meaningful improvements to health behaviours were observed post-intervention. Findings support further exploration of pharmacists' potential roles for delivering interventions with complex behaviour change requirements. ..
- Polkinghorne K, Atkins R, Kerr P. Native arteriovenous fistula blood flow and resistance during hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;41:132-9 pubmed..AR remained stable during the treatment and may be a more useful measure of vascular access performance as part of an access surveillance program. ..
- Yiallourou S, Witcombe N, Sands S, Walker A, Horne R. The development of autonomic cardiovascular control is altered by preterm birth. Early Hum Dev. 2013;89:145-52 pubmed publisher..Impaired autonomic control in preterm infants may increase their risk of cardiovascular dysfunction later in life. ..
- Korner P, Head G, Badoer E, Bobik A, Angus J. Role of brain amine transmitters and some neuromodulators in blood pressure, heart rate, and baroreflex control. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1987;10 Suppl 12:S26-32 pubmed..This provides one model of the mechanisms by which central peptide transmitters may alter the action of other transmitters. ..
- Kaye D, Johnston L, Vaddadi G, Brunner LaRocca H, Jennings G, Esler M. Mechanisms of carvedilol action in human congestive heart failure. Hypertension. 2001;37:1216-21 pubmed..The favorable effects of carvedilol on ventricular function in the failing heart are not explained by alterations in norepinephrine release or by changes in myocardial contractile efficiency. ..
- Nguyen T, Kawasaki R, Kreis A, Wang J, Shaw J, Vilser W, et al. Correlation of light-flicker-induced retinal vasodilation and retinal vascular caliber measurements in diabetes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:5609-13 pubmed publisher..Determining whether endothelial dysfunction explains the link between retinal vascular caliber and risks of diabetic microvascular complications calls for further study. ..
- Vaddadi G, Guo L, Esler M, Socratous F, Schlaich M, Chopra R, et al. Recurrent postural vasovagal syncope: sympathetic nervous system phenotypes. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2011;4:711-8 pubmed publisher..It is predicted that future therapy targeting the specific mechanisms identified in the present report should translate into more effective treatment. ..
- Yiallourou S, Sands S, Walker A, Horne R. Maturation of heart rate and blood pressure variability during sleep in term-born infants. Sleep. 2012;35:177-86 pubmed publisher..These normative data will aid in the early identification of conditions where autonomic function is impaired, such as in SIDS. ..
- Gao X, Wong G, Wang B, Kiriazis H, Moore X, Su Y, et al. Inhibition of mTOR reduces chronic pressure-overload cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis. J Hypertens. 2006;24:1663-70 pubmed..Despite sustained pressure overload, inhibition of mTOR by a 4-week period of Rapamune treatment attenuates chronically established LVH and cardiac fibrosis with preserved contractile function. ..
- Calkin A, Allen T, Lassila M, Tikellis C, Jandeleit Dahm K, Thomas M. Increased atherosclerosis following treatment with a dual PPAR agonist in the ApoE knockout mouse. Atherosclerosis. 2007;195:17-22 pubmed..These data provide an important framework for further exploring the potential utility and safety of combinatorial approaches. ..
- Hope S, Hughes A. Drug effects on the mechanical properties of large arteries in humans. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2007;34:688-93 pubmed
- Lambert E, Straznicky N, Schlaich M, Esler M, Dawood T, Hotchkin E, et al. Differing pattern of sympathoexcitation in normal-weight and obesity-related hypertension. Hypertension. 2007;50:862-8 pubmed..The underlying central nervous system mechanism and the adverse consequences of the 2 modes of sympathetic activation may differ. ..
- Harrison C, Drummond G, Sobey C, Selemidis S. Evidence that nitric oxide inhibits vascular inflammation and superoxide production via a p47phox-dependent mechanism in mice. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;37:429-34 pubmed publisher..5. In conclusion, endogenous NO suppresses vascular inflammation, via inhibition of p47(phox) expression, leading to attenuation of NADPH oxidase-dependent superoxide production. ..
- La Gerche A, MacIsaac A, Burns A, Mooney D, Inder W, Voigt J, et al. Pulmonary transit of agitated contrast is associated with enhanced pulmonary vascular reserve and right ventricular function during exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010;109:1307-17 pubmed publisher..0 ± 0.4 vs. 96.7 ± 1.4%, P < 0.0001) was not influenced by PTAC status (P = 0.96). Increased PTAC during exercise is a marker of pulmonary vascular reserve reflected by greater flow, reduced PVR, and enhanced RV function. ..
- Campbell D, Zhang Y, Kelly D, Gilbert R, McCarthy D, Shi W, et al. Aliskiren increases bradykinin and tissue kallikrein mRNA levels in the heart. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2011;38:623-31 pubmed publisher..5. These data demonstrate that the aliskiren-induced increase in cardiac bradykinin levels is independent of renin inhibition and changes in bradykinin metabolism, but is associated with increased tissue kallikrein gene expression. ..
- Eppel G, Head G, Denton K, Evans R. Effects of tempol and candesartan on neural control of the kidney. Auton Neurosci. 2012;168:48-57 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, under the current experimental conditions superoxide appears to make little contribution to the actions of endogenous angiotensin II on baseline renal haemodynamics or excretory function, or their responses to RNS. ..
- Lambert G, Hering D, Esler M, Marusic P, Lambert E, Tanamas S, et al. Health-related quality of life after renal denervation in patients with treatment-resistant hypertension. Hypertension. 2012;60:1479-84 pubmed publisher..In this pre- and post-hypothesis generating study, several aspects of QoL were improved after renal denervation; however, this was not directly associated with the magnitude of BP reduction. ..
- Juhola J, Magnussen C, Berenson G, Venn A, Burns T, Sabin M, et al. Combined effects of child and adult elevated blood pressure on subclinical atherosclerosis: the International Childhood Cardiovascular Cohort Consortium. Circulation. 2013;128:217-24 pubmed publisher..Individuals with persistently elevated BP from childhood to adulthood had increased risk of carotid atherosclerosis. This risk was reduced if elevated BP during childhood resolved by adulthood. ..
- Cox S, Ben A, Story D, Ziogas J. Evidence for the involvement of different receptor subtypes in the pre- and postjunctional actions of angiotensin II at rat sympathetic neuroeffector sites. Br J Pharmacol. 1995;114:1057-63 pubmed..In contrast, the direct vasoconstrictor effect of angiotensin II in the rat caudal artery involves activation of a receptor subtype sensitive only to losartan. ..
- Fujisawa G, Dilley R, Fullerton M, Funder J. Experimental cardiac fibrosis: differential time course of responses to mineralocorticoid-salt administration. Endocrinology. 2001;142:3625-31 pubmed..When mineralocorticoid levels are elevated acutely by bolus injection, changes are discernible after 2 d, in contrast with previous infusion studies in which 3-4 wk were required for measurable changes. ..
- Donazzan L, Mahfoud F, Ewen S, Ukena C, Cremers B, Kirsch C, et al. Effects of catheter-based renal denervation on cardiac sympathetic activity and innervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Clin Res Cardiol. 2016;105:364-71 pubmed publisher..These changes occurred independently from BP effects and provide a pathophysiological basis for studies, investigating the potential effect of RDN on arrhythmias and heart failure. ..
- Giunti S, Cooper M. Management strategies for patients with hypertension and diabetes: why combination therapy is critical. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2006;8:108-13 pubmed..Other antihypertensive agents should be added based on the patients risk profile and overall treatment regimen to achieve blood pressure goal. ..
- De Matteo R, Head G, Mayorov D. Tempol in the dorsomedial hypothalamus attenuates the hypertensive response to stress in rabbits. Am J Hypertens. 2006;19:396-402 pubmed..This study provides first published evidence that superoxide in the DMH is important in the regulation of acute hypertensive and tachycardic responses to mental stress. ..
- Chan C, Burke S, Head G. Contribution of imidazoline receptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors in the rostral ventrolateral medulla to sympathetic baroreflex inhibition by systemic rilmenidine. J Hypertens. 2007;25:147-55 pubmed..However, alpha2-adrenoceptors are also involved, probably as a direct result of the imidazoline receptor action. ..
- Chowdhury E, Owen A, Krum H, Wing L, Ryan P, Nelson M, et al. Barriers to achieving blood pressure treatment targets in elderly hypertensive individuals. J Hum Hypertens. 2013;27:545-51 pubmed publisher..These findings identify clinical markers that can be targeted for intervention, but also demographic factors related to service delivery, which may provide further opportunity for achieving better BP control in hypertensive elderly. ..
- Brazionis L, Golley R, Mittinty M, Smithers L, Emmett P, Northstone K, et al. Diet spanning infancy and toddlerhood is associated with child blood pressure at age 7.5 y. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97:1375-86 pubmed publisher..5 y. A less-healthy transition diet by age 2 y was associated with higher BP at 7.5 y. The BMI-related reduction in effect size reinforces the importance of BMI on the diet-BP relation. ..
- Walter L, Biggs S, Nisbet L, Weichard A, Hollis S, Davey M, et al. Improved long-term autonomic function following resolution of sleep-disordered breathing in preschool-aged children. Sleep Breath. 2016;20:309-19 pubmed publisher..This highlights the autonomic impact of SDB in young children and the importance of detection and treatment. ..
- Hering D, Marusic P, Walton A, Duval J, Lee R, Sata Y, et al. Renal artery anatomy affects the blood pressure response to renal denervation in patients with resistant hypertension. Int J Cardiol. 2016;202:388-93 pubmed publisher..However, when patients with dual renal arteries received renal nerve ablation in all arteries there was trend towards a greater BP reduction. Insufficient renal sympathetic nerve ablation may account for these differences. ..
- Simms A, Paton J, Pickering A, Allen A. Amplified respiratory-sympathetic coupling in the spontaneously hypertensive rat: does it contribute to hypertension?. J Physiol. 2009;587:597-610 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the amplified respiratory-related bursts of SNA seen in the neonate and juvenile SH rat may be causal in the development of their hypertension. ..
- Pase M, Pipingas A, Kras M, Nolidin K, Gibbs A, Wesnes K, et al. Healthy middle-aged individuals are vulnerable to cognitive deficits as a result of increased arterial stiffness. J Hypertens. 2010;28:1724-9 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that healthy middle-aged adults are vulnerable to memory deficits as a result of normal increases in pulse pressure associated with ageing. ..
- Mayorov D, Burke S, Head G. Relative importance of rostral ventrolateral medulla in sympathoinhibitory action of rilmenidine in conscious and anesthetized rabbits. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2001;37:252-61 pubmed..A relatively moderate effect of rilmenidine on arterial pressure in conscious, chronically instrumented rabbits may relate to a lower level of sympathetic drive compared with anesthetized animals. ..
- Daly R, Nowson C. Long-term effect of calcium-vitamin D(3) fortified milk on blood pressure and serum lipid concentrations in healthy older men. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63:993-1000 pubmed publisher..Supplementation with reduced-fat calcium-vitamin D(3) fortified milk did not have a beneficial (nor detrimental) effect on blood pressure, lipid or lipoprotein concentrations in healthy community-dwelling older men. ..
- Sun C, Pezic A, Tikellis G, Ponsonby A, Wake M, Carlin J, et al. Effects of school-based interventions for direct delivery of physical activity on fitness and cardiometabolic markers in children and adolescents: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Obes Rev. 2013;14:818-38 pubmed publisher
- Soldatos G, Jandeleit Dahm K, Thomson H, Formosa M, D Orsa K, Calkin A, et al. Large artery biomechanics and diastolic dysfunctionin patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med. 2011;28:54-60 pubmed publisher..Diastolic dysfunction, present in a significant proportion of this population with Type 2 DM, was closely associated with arterial stiffening, suggesting a common aetiology. ..
- Masuo K, Straznicky N, Lambert G, Katsuya T, Sugimoto K, Rakugi H, et al. Leptin-receptor polymorphisms relate to obesity through blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic nerve activation in a Caucasian male population. Hypertens Res. 2008;31:1093-100 pubmed publisher..We therefore hypothesize that leptin-receptor play a role in the development of obesity through leptin resistance and blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic nerve activity. ..
- Head G, Burke S. Comparison of renal sympathetic baroreflex effects of rilmenidine and alpha-methylnoradrenaline in the ventrolateral medulla of the rabbit. J Hypertens. 2000;18:1263-76 pubmed..To determine the influence of imidazoline receptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors in the rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) on the renal sympathetic baroreflex...
- Head G, Obeyesekere V, Jones M, Simpson E, Krozowski Z. Aromatase-deficient (ArKO) mice have reduced blood pressure and baroreflex sensitivity. Endocrinology. 2004;145:4286-91 pubmed..Thus, aromatase activity is critical for normal autonomic control of the heart and, hence, for reducing the deleterious effects of high BP variability. ..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, Tuck M. Beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms relate to insulin resistance and sympathetic overactivity as early markers of metabolic disease in nonobese, normotensive individuals. Am J Hypertens. 2005;18:1009-14 pubmed..These findings show an important role of beta2-adrenoceptor gene polymorphisms in the association of insulin resistance in hypertension and obesity. ..
- Moretti J, Burke S, Evans R, Lambert G, Head G. Enhanced responses to ganglion blockade do not reflect sympathetic nervous system contribution to angiotensin II-induced hypertension. J Hypertens. 2009;27:1838-48 pubmed publisher..Enhanced depressor responses to ganglion blockade in AngII hypertension do not reflect augmented SNS activity, but rather, augmented sympathetic vasoconstriction mediated by a vascular amplifier effect. ..
- Giunti S, Calkin A, Forbes J, Allen T, Thomas M, Cooper M, et al. The pleiotropic actions of rosuvastatin confer renal benefits in the diabetic Apo-E knockout mouse. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F528-35 pubmed publisher..The combination treatment is not superior to monotherapies. ..
- Thomas M, Pickering R, Tsorotes D, Koitka A, Sheehy K, Bernardi S, et al. Genetic Ace2 deficiency accentuates vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis in the ApoE knockout mouse. Circ Res. 2010;107:888-97 pubmed publisher..Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE)2 opposes the actions of angiotensin (Ang) II by degrading it to Ang 1-7...
- Kim I, Prowle J, Baldwin I, Bellomo R. Incidence, risk factors and outcome associations of intra-abdominal hypertension in critically ill patients. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2012;40:79-89 pubmed..In a minority of patients, IAH was associated with abdominal compartment syndrome. In this cohort IAH was not associated with an increased risk of mortality. ..
- Mayorov D, Head G. Influence of rostral ventrolateral medulla on renal sympathetic baroreflex in conscious rabbits. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001;280:R577-87 pubmed..We conclude that the RVLM plays a key role in circulatory control in conscious rabbits. However, we find no evidence for the role of ANG II receptors in the RVLM in the moment-to-moment regulation of AP and RSNA...
- Wong T, Larsen E, Klein R, Mitchell P, Couper D, Klein B, et al. Cardiovascular risk factors for retinal vein occlusion and arteriolar emboli: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities & Cardiovascular Health studies. Ophthalmology. 2005;112:540-7 pubmed..To examine the associations of retinal vein occlusion and arteriolar emboli with cardiovascular disease...
- Anderson W, Shweta A, Evans R, Edgley A, Gao Y. Total peripheral resistance responsiveness during the development of secondary renal hypertension in dogs. J Hypertens. 2007;25:649-62 pubmed..There was no evidence of vascular amplification of the effects of vasoconstrictor agents, indicating that this did not play a role in the development of hypertension. ..
- Watson A, McKinley M, May C. Effect of central urotensin II on heart rate, blood pressure and brain Fos immunoreactivity in conscious rats. Neuroscience. 2008;155:241-9 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that UII acts on specific brain nuclei to stimulate the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis and to stimulate adrenal sympathetic nerve activity. ..
- Sasongko M, Wong T, Donaghue K, Cheung N, Jenkins A, Benitez Aguirre P, et al. Retinal arteriolar tortuosity is associated with retinopathy and early kidney dysfunction in type 1 diabetes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;153:176-83.e1 pubmed publisher..To examine the association of retinal vessel tortuosity with diabetic retinopathy and early nephropathy in type 1 diabetes...
- Büsst C, Bloomer L, Scurrah K, Ellis J, Barnes T, Charchar F, et al. The epithelial sodium channel ?-subunit gene and blood pressure: family based association, renal gene expression, and physiological analyses. Hypertension. 2011;58:1073-8 pubmed publisher..07) 1.7-fold higher expression of SCNN1G compared with normotensive controls. These data provide genetic and phenotypic evidence in support of a role for a common genetic variant of SCNN1G in blood pressure determination. ..
- Brown R, Hilliard L, Head G, Jones E, Widdop R, Denton K. Sex differences in the pressor and tubuloglomerular feedback response to angiotensin II. Hypertension. 2012;59:129-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, the enhancement of the AT(2)R may, in part, underlie the protection that premenopausal women demonstrate against cardiovascular disease. ..
- Prior L, Davern P, Burke S, Lim K, Armitage J, Head G. Exposure to a high-fat diet during development alters leptin and ghrelin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2014;63:338-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that offspring from mothers consuming an HFD exhibit an adverse cardiovascular profile in adulthood because of altered central hypothalamic sensitivity to leptin and ghrelin. ..
- Marsh C, Carter H, Guelfi K, Smith K, Pike K, Naylor L, et al. Brachial and Cerebrovascular Functions Are Enhanced in Postmenopausal Women after Ingestion of Chocolate with a High Concentration of Cocoa. J Nutr. 2017;147:1686-1692 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at www.ANZCTR.orgau as ACTRN12616000990426. ..
- van den Buuse M, Catanzariti R. Stimulation of the ventral tegmental area enhances the effect of vasopressin on blood pressure in conscious rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2000;129:29-36 pubmed..British Journal of Pharmacology (2000) 129, 29 - 36..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Kawaguchi H, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, et al. Rebound weight gain as associated with high plasma norepinephrine levels that are mediated through polymorphisms in the beta2-adrenoceptor. Am J Hypertens. 2005;18:1508-16 pubmed
- Gurley S, Riquier Brison A, Schnermann J, Sparks M, Allen A, Haase V, et al. AT1A angiotensin receptors in the renal proximal tubule regulate blood pressure. Cell Metab. 2011;13:469-475 pubmed publisher..Thus, effectively targeting epithelial functions of the proximal tubule of the kidney should be a useful therapeutic strategy in hypertension. ..
- Januszewski A, Sachithanandan N, Karschimkus C, O Neal D, Yeung C, Alkatib N, et al. Non-invasive measures of tissue autofluorescence are increased in Type 1 diabetes complications and correlate with a non-invasive measure of vascular dysfunction. Diabet Med. 2012;29:726-33 pubmed publisher..Tissue advanced glycation end-products correlate with vascular risk factors, including circulating advanced glycation end-products. ..
- Anderson W, Ramsey D, Takata M. Development of hypertension from unilateral renal artery stenosis in conscious dogs. Hypertension. 1990;16:441-51 pubmed..Thus, the hypertension was due at all times to reduced peripheral conductance, with the two kidneys responsible for 40% of this reduced conductance. ..
- van den Buuse M, Tritton S, Burke S, Head G. Interaction of the dopamine D2 receptor agonist quinpirole with sympathetic vasomotor tone and the central action of rilmenidine in conscious rabbits. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1998;72:187-94 pubmed..However, the previously described apparent desensitisation to the antihypertensive effect of rilmenidine could not be observed in rabbits, suggesting marked species differences in the mechanism and site of action of rilmenidine...
- Mansfield D, Kaye D, Brunner La Rocca H, Solin P, Esler M, Naughton M. Raised sympathetic nerve activity in heart failure and central sleep apnea is due to heart failure severity. Circulation. 2003;107:1396-400 pubmed..We measured awake total body and cardiac NE spillover and related these to measurements of cardiac hemodynamics and apnea severity in CHF patients with CSA, with normal breathing, and with obstructive sleep apnea (CHF-OSA)...
- Eppel G, Malpas S, Denton K, Evans R. Neural control of renal medullary perfusion. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2004;31:387-96 pubmed..Failure of these mechanisms would promote reductions in MBF in response to physiological activation of the renal nerves, which could, in turn, lead to salt and water retention and hypertension...
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, Tuck M. Beta2- and beta3-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms are related to the onset of weight gain and blood pressure elevation over 5 years. Circulation. 2005;111:3429-34 pubmed..These findings suggest that beta2-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms in association with a heightened sympathetic nerve activity could predict the future onset of obesity and hypertension, as shown in the 5-year longitudinal study. ..
- Thomas M, Tsalamandris C, Macisaac R, Jerums G. Functional erythropoietin deficiency in patients with Type 2 diabetes and anaemia. Diabet Med. 2006;23:502-9 pubmed..The likelihood of functional erythropoietin deficiency as a cause of anaemia is not dependent on the severity of renal impairment or excluded in diabetic patients with reduced iron stores or availability. ..
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Kawaguchi H, Fu Y, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, et al. Beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms relate to obesity through blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic activation. Am J Hypertens. 2006;19:1084-91 pubmed..We propose that the beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms related to blunted leptin-mediated sympathetic activation offers further proof for the mechanisms of obesity. ..
- Tibballs J, Russell P. Reliability of pulse palpation by healthcare personnel to diagnose paediatric cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2009;80:61-4 pubmed publisher..Brachial palpation is slightly more reliable than femoral palpation. ..
- Ellis J, Lamantia A, Chavez R, Scurrah K, Nichols C, Harrap S. Genes controlling postural changes in blood pressure: comprehensive association analysis of ATP-sensitive potassium channel genes KCNJ8 and ABCC9. Physiol Genomics. 2010;40:184-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that sequence variants in KCNJ8 and ABCC9 are unlikely to contribute to variation in DeltaSBP. Other genes in the identified chromosome 12p region warrant investigation...
- Soo J, Lacey S, Kluger R, Silbert B. Defining intra-operative hypotension--a pilot comparison of blood pressure during sleep and general anaesthesia. Anaesthesia. 2011;66:354-60 pubmed publisher..001). This decreased even further intra-operatively: systolic blood pressure by 49 (36-64 [15-96]) mmHg and mean arterial pressure by 36 (26-46 [8-66]) mmHg (p = 0.001). ..
- Soeding P, Wang J, Hoy G, Jarman P, Phillips H, Marks P, et al. The effect of the sitting upright or 'beachchair' position on cerebral blood flow during anaesthesia for shoulder surgery. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2011;39:440-8 pubmed..91). These findings indicate that in patients in the beachchair position receiving sevoflurane anaesthesia, CBF is maintained when mean arterial pressure is above 70 mmHg, consistent with intact autoregulation. ..
- Jackson K, Marques F, Watson A, Palma Rigo K, Nguyen Huu T, Morris B, et al. A novel interaction between sympathetic overactivity and aberrant regulation of renin by miR-181a in BPH/2J genetically hypertensive mice. Hypertension. 2013;62:775-81 pubmed publisher..We suggest that renal hyperinnervation and enhanced sympathetically induced renin synthesis mediated by lower micro-RNA-181a contributes to hypertension in BPH/2J mice. ..
- Cock M, Harding R. Renal and amniotic fluid responses to umbilicoplacental embolization for 20 days in fetal sheep. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:R1094-102 pubmed..We conclude that, in fetal growth restriction, reduced kidney weight, rather than hypoxemia per se is responsible for reduced urine production, which, if severe and prolonged, may contribute to oligohydramnios...
- Gaudet E, Godwin S, Head G. Effects of central infusion of ANG II and losartan on the cardiac baroreflex in rabbits. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;278:H558-66 pubmed..These data demonstrate a novel long-term modulation of cardiac baroreflexes by endogenous ANG II that is independent of blood pressure level...
- Ma G, Allen T, Cooper M, Cao Z. Calcium channel blockers, either amlodipine or mibefradil, ameliorate renal injury in experimental diabetes. Kidney Int. 2004;66:1090-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that CCBs may be useful in preventing pathologic injury in the diabetic kidney. ..
- Du X, Fang L, Gao X, Kiriazis H, Feng X, Hotchkin E, et al. Genetic enhancement of ventricular contractility protects against pressure-overload-induced cardiac dysfunction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2004;37:979-87 pubmed
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Sugimoto K, Kawaguchi H, Rakugi H, Ogihara T, et al. High plasma norepinephrine levels associated with beta2-adrenoceptor polymorphisms predict future renal damage in nonobese normotensive individuals. Hypertens Res. 2007;30:503-11 pubmed
- Prior L, Velkoska E, Watts R, Cameron Smith D, Morris M. Undernutrition during suckling in rats elevates plasma adiponectin and its receptor in skeletal muscle regardless of diet composition: a protective effect?. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008;32:1585-94 pubmed publisher..The long-term potential benefit of limiting nutrition in the early postnatal period warrants further investigation. ..
- Sun C, Ponsonby A, Wong T, Brown S, Kearns L, Cochrane J, et al. Effect of birth parameters on retinal vascular caliber: the Twins Eye Study in Tasmania. Hypertension. 2009;53:487-93 pubmed publisher..The independent effect of shorter birth length on retinal arteriolar caliber supports a role for twin-specific supply line factors affecting fetal growth on vascular structure. ..
- Yan E, Baburamani A, Walker A, Walker D. Changes in cerebral blood flow, cerebral metabolites, and breathing movements in the sheep fetus following asphyxia produced by occlusion of the umbilical cord. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;297:R60-9 pubmed publisher..The prolonged increase of breathing movements for many hours suggests loss of the pontine/thalamic control that produces the distinct pattern of fetal breathing movements...
- Prior L, Eikelis N, Armitage J, Davern P, Burke S, Montani J, et al. Exposure to a high-fat diet alters leptin sensitivity and elevates renal sympathetic nerve activity and arterial pressure in rabbits. Hypertension. 2010;55:862-8 pubmed publisher..The paradoxical reduction in hypothalamic neuronal activation by leptin suggests a marked "selective leptin resistance" in these animals. ..
- Head G, Mihailidou A, Duggan K, Beilin L, Berry N, Brown M, et al. Definition of ambulatory blood pressure targets for diagnosis and treatment of hypertension in relation to clinic blood pressure: prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2010;340:c1104 pubmed publisher..These results provide a framework for the diagnosis and management of hypertension using ambulatory blood pressure values. ..
- Jiang F, Lim H, Morris M, Prior L, Velkoska E, Wu X, et al. Systemic upregulation of NADPH oxidase in diet-induced obesity in rats. Redox Rep. 2011;16:223-9 pubmed publisher..The association between NADPH oxidase Nox4 expression in the vasculature and the elevated blood pressure in obesity requires further investigation. ..
- Islam F, Bhuiyan A, Chakrabarti R, Rahman M, Kanagasingam Y, Hiller J. Undiagnosed hypertension in a rural district in Bangladesh: The Bangladesh Population-based Diabetes and Eye Study (BPDES). J Hum Hypertens. 2016;30:252-9 pubmed publisher..Lower SES was associated with a higher risk of undiagnosed hypertension. Public health programs at the grass-roots level must emphasise the provision of primary care and preventive services in managing this non-communicable disease. ..
- Darvall J, Vijayakumar R, Leslie K. Prewarming neurosurgical patients to minimize hypotension on induction of anesthesia: a randomized trial. Can J Anaesth. 2016;63:577-83 pubmed publisher..00). Prewarming with convective forced air for one hour prior to intravenous anesthetic induction did not prevent hypotension during the induction period (Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry [ANZCTR] ACTRN12615000431527). ..