Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Locale: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Publications518 found, 100 shown here
- Van den Oever H, Murphy E, Christie Taylor G. USCOM (Ultrasonic Cardiac Output Monitors) lacks agreement with thermodilution cardiac output and transoesophageal echocardiography valve measurements. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2007;35:903-10 pubmed..57 and r = 0.17, respectively). It was concluded that USCOM showed poor agreement with thermodilution. The estimated valve area was identified as one source of error. ..
- Schabrun S, Hillier S. Evidence for the retraining of sensation after stroke: a systematic review. Clin Rehabil. 2009;23:27-39 pubmed publisher..Further high-quality studies with greater statistical power and meaningful clinical measures are required in order to accurately determine the effectiveness of sensory retraining following stroke. ..
- Fung K, Lewanowitsch T, Henderson S, Priebe I, Hoffmann P, McColl S, et al. Proteomic analysis of butyrate effects and loss of butyrate sensitivity in HT29 colorectal cancer cells. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1220-7 pubmed publisher..We describe novel roles for butyrate in the induction of its tumor suppressing effects and outline potential cellular pathways involved in the development of butyrate insensitivity in the HT29-BR cell population. ..
- Foley W, Ward P, Carter P, Coveney J, Tsourtos G, Taylor A. An ecological analysis of factors associated with food insecurity in South Australia, 2002-7. Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:215-21 pubmed publisher..Regular surveillance is required to continue to monitor levels of food security, but more in-depth understandings, via qualitative research, would be useful. ..
- Pitson S, Pebay A. Regulation of stem cell pluripotency and neural differentiation by lysophospholipids. Neurosignals. 2009;17:242-54 pubmed publisher..This review aims to summarise the current knowledge on LPA and S1P regulation of embryonic and neural stem cell biology. ..
- Hampton Smith R, Peet D. From polyps to people: a highly familiar response to hypoxia. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1177:19-29 pubmed publisher..However, discovery of the "intermediary" properties of the beetle HIF pathway may prove a useful tool to better define HIF signaling in both mammals and invertebrates. ..
- Nussio M, Voelcker N, Miners J, Lewis B, Sykes M, Shapter J. AFM study of the interaction of cytochrome P450 2C9 with phospholipid bilayers. Chem Phys Lipids. 2010;163:182-9 pubmed publisher..Reversible binding of CYP2C9 via an engineered His tag to a phospholipid bilayer was facilitated using nickel-chelating lipids, presenting potential applications for biosensor technologies. ..
- Chew D, Anderson F, Avezum A, Eagle K, Fitzgerald G, Gore J, et al. Six-month survival benefits associated with clinical guideline recommendations in acute coronary syndromes. Heart. 2010;96:1201-6 pubmed publisher..A diminishing benefit associated with each additional ACS therapy is evident. These data may provide a rational basis for selecting between therapeutic options when compliance or cost is an issue. ..
- Roach G, Darwent D, Dawson D. How well do pilots sleep during long-haul flights?. Ergonomics. 2010;53:1072-5 pubmed publisher..To increase the restoration provided by in-flight sleep, airlines could take measures to improve the quality, or increase the amount, of sleep obtained by pilots during flights. ..
- Short M, Gradisar M, Lack L, Wright H, Dohnt H. The sleep patterns and well-being of Australian adolescents. J Adolesc. 2013;36:103-10 pubmed publisher..These results add to our knowledge of adolescent sleep and well-being worldwide. They also highlight the need for greater attention to sleep during this phase of development, when future behaviors and outcomes are being shaped. ..
- Mukaro V, Bylund J, Hodge G, Holmes M, Jersmann H, Reynolds P, et al. Lectins offer new perspectives in the development of macrophage-targeted therapies for COPD/emphysema. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56147 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence for a role of airway lectins in the failed efferocytosis in COPD, supporting their further investigation as potential macrophage-targeted therapies. ..
- Der Sarkissian C, Balanovsky O, Brandt G, Khartanovich V, Buzhilova A, Koshel S, et al. Ancient DNA reveals prehistoric gene-flow from siberia in the complex human population history of North East Europe. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003296 pubmed publisher..It contributes to the description of the spatio-temporal distribution of mitochondrial diversity and will be of significance for future reconstructions of the history of Europeans. ..
- Milte R, Ratcliffe J, Miller M, Crotty M. Economic evaluation for protein and energy supplementation in adults: opportunities to strengthen the evidence. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013;67:1243-50 pubmed publisher..In summary, the available economic evidence indicates that protein and energy supplementation in treatment or prevention of malnutrition provides an opportunity to improve patient wellbeing and lower health system costs. ..
- Taylor A, Fluharty M, BjÃ¸rngaard J, Gabrielsen M, Skorpen F, Marioni R, et al. Investigating the possible causal association of smoking with depression and anxiety using Mendelian randomisation meta-analysis: the CARTA consortium. BMJ Open. 2014;4:e006141 pubmed publisher..02, 95% CI 0.98 to 1.06) in current smokers. Results were similar for former smokers. Findings from Mendelian randomisation analyses do not support a causal role of smoking heaviness in the development of depression and anxiety. ..
- Jayanna M, Burgess N, Singh R, Hourigan L, Brown G, Zanati S, et al. Cost Analysis of Endoscopic Mucosal Resection vs Surgery for Large Laterally Spreading Colorectal Lesions. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;14:271-8.e1-2 pubmed publisher..This approach is likely to deliver substantial overall health expenditure savings. ClinicalTrials.gov, Number: NCT01368289. ..
- Herdman B, Paton J, Wang H, Beddoe T, Paton A. Vacuolation Activity and Intracellular Trafficking of ArtB, the Binding Subunit of an AB5 Toxin Produced by Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..Thus, the isolated B subunit of this cryptic AB5 toxin has significant effects on target cells with the potential to contribute directly to pathogenesis independently of the catalytic A subunit. ..
- Lowe R, Shirley N, Bleackley M, Dolan S, Shafee T. Transcriptomics technologies. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005457 pubmed publisher..An analysis of gene expression in its entirety allows detection of broad coordinated trends which cannot be discerned by more targeted assays. ..
- Do C, Lower K, Macardle C, Kuss B. Trisomy 12 assessment by conventional fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH), FISH in suspension (FISH-IS) and laser scanning cytometry (LSC) in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Genet. 2017;216-217:142-149 pubmed publisher..This method is able to accurately differentiate between monosomy, disomy and trisomy with a sensitivity of 1% in CLL. An analysis comparing conventional FISH, FISH-IS and laser scanning cytometry (LSC) is presented...
- Blake T, Jenkins B, D Andrea R, Gonda T. Functional cross-talk between cytokine receptors revealed by activating mutations in the extracellular domain of the beta-subunit of the GM-CSF receptor. J Leukoc Biol. 2002;72:1246-55 pubmed..The implications of these data are discussed as are our findings that activated hbeta(c) mutants can functionally interact with certain other cytokine receptors. ..
- Limaye V, Li X, Hahn C, Xia P, Berndt M, Vadas M, et al. Sphingosine kinase-1 enhances endothelial cell survival through a PECAM-1-dependent activation of PI-3K/Akt and regulation of Bcl-2 family members. Blood. 2005;105:3169-77 pubmed
- Ben Tovim D, Bassham J, Bennett D, Dougherty M, Martin M, O Neill S, et al. Redesigning care at the Flinders Medical Centre: clinical process redesign using "lean thinking". Med J Aust. 2008;188:S27-31 pubmed..Results to date show that the Redesigning Care program has enabled the hospital to provide safer and more accessible care during a period of growth in demand. ..
- Galluccio S, Rai S, Sharley P. An unexpected ending: brain death following acute severe asthma. Crit Care Resusc. 2008;10:235-8 pubmed..We discuss the mechanisms that may have precipitated severe intracranial hypertension resulting in brain death, and the possible methods to detect and avoid such a devastating consequence. ..
- Marshman L, Allison D, Molloy C. Acute haematogenous infection of a closed vertebral fracture. J Clin Neurosci. 2009;16:1643-6 pubmed publisher..The patient's symptoms and signs gradually normalised following administration of flucloxacillin for 6 weeks, and the use of a cast brace. We conclude that haematogenous infection can be successfully managed non-operatively. ..
- Luu S, Cannon P, Selva D. Hypertrophic changes of the lower eyelid margin after hughes procedure for eyelid reconstruction: the management and outcomes. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010;26:344-7 pubmed publisher..In situations of horizontal eyelid laxity, a full-thickness wedge excision offers a good means of removing the offending eyelid segment. ..
- Fraser C, Lousberg E, Guerin L, Hughes T, Brown M, Diener K, et al. Dasatinib alters the metastatic phenotype of B16-OVA melanoma in vivo. Cancer Biol Ther. 2010;10:715-27 pubmed
- Sawyer M, Borojevic N, Lynch J. Evaluating population-level interventions for young people's mental health: challenges and opportunities. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2011;5 Suppl 1:46-51 pubmed publisher..However, if they are to achieve their full effectiveness, ongoing evaluations are needed. ..
- Byard R, Winskog C. Autoerotic death: incidence and age of victims--a population-based study. J Forensic Sci. 2012;57:129-31 pubmed publisher..Whether this is because of different kinds of paraphilic activities in different populations or of differences in methods of central data collection is uncertain...
- LaPointe L, Pedersen S, Dunne R, Brown G, Pimlott L, Gaur S, et al. Discovery and validation of molecular biomarkers for colorectal adenomas and cancer with application to blood testing. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29059 pubmed publisher..KIAA1199 is differentially expressed in neoplastic tissues and KIAA1199 transcripts are more abundant in the plasma of patients with either cancer or adenoma compared to controls. ..
- Cakouros D, Isenmann S, Cooper L, Zannettino A, Anderson P, Glackin C, et al. Twist-1 induces Ezh2 recruitment regulating histone methylation along the Ink4A/Arf locus in mesenchymal stem cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1433-41 pubmed publisher..These studies for the first time link Twist-1 to histone methylation of the Ink4A/Arf locus by controlling the expression of histone methyltransferases as well as the expression of other bHLH factors. ..
- Sorich M, McKinnon R. Personalized medicine: potential, barriers and contemporary issues. Curr Drug Metab. 2012;13:1000-6 pubmed
- Danthiir V, Hosking D, Burns N, Wilson C, Nettelbeck T, Calvaresi E, et al. Cognitive performance in older adults is inversely associated with fish consumption but not erythrocyte membrane n-3 fatty acids. J Nutr. 2014;144:311-20 pubmed publisher..We found no evidence to support the hypothesis that higher proportions of long-chain n-3 fatty acids or fish intake benefits cognitive performance in normal older adults. ..
- Briffa T, Hung J, Knuiman M, McQuillan B, Chew D, Eikelboom J, et al. Trends in incidence and prevalence of hospitalization for atrial fibrillation and associated mortality in Western Australia, 1995-2010. Int J Cardiol. 2016;208:19-25 pubmed publisher..The high 1-year mortality following incident AF hospitalization has improved only modestly over the recent period. ..
- Koullali B, Oudijk M, Nijman T, Mol B, Pajkrt E. Risk assessment and management to prevent preterm birth. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016;21:80-8 pubmed publisher..The most effective methods to prevent preterm birth depend on the obstetric history, which makes the identification of women at risk of preterm birth an important task for clinical care providers. ..
- Waters K, Chawla J, Harris M, Dakin C, Heussler H, Black R, et al. Rationale for and design of the "POSTA" study: Evaluation of neurocognitive outcomes after immediate adenotonsillectomy compared to watchful waiting in preschool children. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:47 pubmed publisher..The study could provide data on whether a window of opportunity exists for reversing IQ deficits linked to OSA in the pre-school age-group. Australian and New Zealand Clinical Trials Registration Number ACTRN12611000021976 . ..
- Eyre N, Aloia A, Joyce M, Chulanetra M, Tyrrell D, Beard M. Sensitive luminescent reporter viruses reveal appreciable release of hepatitis C virus NS5A protein into the extracellular environment. Virology. 2017;507:20-31 pubmed publisher..We hypothesise that the presence of NS5A in extracellular fluids contributes to HCV pathogenesis. ..
- Wong M, Olds T, Gold L, Lycett K, Dumuid D, Muller J, et al. Time-Use Patterns and Health-Related Quality of Life in Adolescents. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..The cluster characterized by low physical activity and moderate screen time was associated with the lowest HRQoL. Whether this pattern translates into precursors of noncommunicable diseases remains to be determined. ..
- Gore C, Hahn A, Burge C, Telford R. VO2max and haemoglobin mass of trained athletes during high intensity training. Int J Sports Med. 1997;18:477-82 pubmed..It is concluded that trained athletes with erythrocythemic hypervolemia have limited capability to increase further either total red cell volume or Hb mass. ..
- Mullighan C, Heatley S, Lester S, Rischmueller M, Gordon T, Bardy P. Fas gene promoter polymorphisms in primary Sjögren's syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis. 2004;63:98-101 pubmed..However, the results suggest that genetically determined variability in Fas expression may modulate Ro/La autoantibody responses in patients with pSS. ..
- Fielding J, Nayda C. Postexposure prophylaxis for Australian bat lyssavirus in South Australia, 1996 to 2003. Aust Vet J. 2005;83:233-4 pubmed
- Verrall G, Slavotinek J, Barnes P, Esterman A, Oakeshott R, Spriggins A. Hip joint range of motion restriction precedes athletic chronic groin injury. J Sci Med Sport. 2007;10:463-6 pubmed..This work should be viewed as preliminary and caution is advised in applying the conclusion to clinical practice as the numbers in this study were small. ..
- Abeywardena M, Leifert W, Warnes K, Varghese J, Head R. Cardiovascular biology of interleukin-6. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:1809-21 pubmed..This review discusses some of the mechanisms of IL-6 signalling on various aspects of cardiovascular biology as well as some recent developments in drug targeting of this complex. ..
- Dhillon V, Thomas P, Iarmarcovai G, Kirsch Volders M, Bonassi S, Fenech M. Genetic polymorphisms of genes involved in DNA repair and metabolism influence micronucleus frequencies in human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Mutagenesis. 2011;26:33-42 pubmed publisher..These results contribute substantial evidence to the hypothesis that genotype may influence MN frequency in human cells. ..
- Sia D, Davis G, Selva D. Recurrent orbitofrontal cholesterol granuloma: a case report. Orbit. 2012;31:184-6 pubmed publisher..We describe the case of a 77-year-old man with recurrent orbitofrontal cholesterol granuloma 11 years after surgery, presumably due to subtotal curettage. The potential use of an endoscope to aid complete removal of lesion is discussed. ..
- Gulati K, Aw M, Findlay D, Losic D. Local drug delivery to the bone by drug-releasing implants: perspectives of nano-engineered titania nanotube arrays. Ther Deliv. 2012;3:857-73 pubmed..An overview of recent research to advance the drug-releasing performance of TNT arrays and the potential of their future applications and development are presented. ..
- Andraweera P, Dekker G, Dissanayake V, Bianco Miotto T, Jayasekara R, Roberts C. Vascular endothelial growth factor family gene polymorphisms in preeclampsia in Sinhalese women in Sri-Lanka. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013;26:532-6 pubmed publisher..VEGFA rs699947, VEGFA rs3025039, KDR rs2071559, and KDR rs2305948 polymorphisms were not associated with preeclampsia. Maternal PGF rs1042886 polymorphism is associated with preeclampsia in Sinhalese women in Sri-Lanka. ..
- Smith E, Ruszkiewicz A, Jamieson G, Drew P. IGFBP7 is associated with poor prognosis in oesophageal adenocarcinoma and is regulated by promoter DNA methylation. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:775-82 pubmed publisher..We examined whether silencing of IGFBP7 was associated with survival in patients with oesophageal adenocarcinoma...
- Liu R, Proud C. Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase as a drug target in cancer, and in cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2016;37:285-94 pubmed publisher..In this article we review the recent evidence concerning the role of eEF2K in human diseases as well as the progress in developing small-molecule inhibitors of this enzyme. ..
- Topping D, Clifton P. Short-chain fatty acids and human colonic function: roles of resistant starch and nonstarch polysaccharides. Physiol Rev. 2001;81:1031-64 pubmed..However, the lack of a generally accepted analytical procedure that accommodates the major influences on RS means this is yet to be established...
- Nicholson I. CD62L (L-selectin). J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2002;16:144-6 pubmed
- Holtmann G. Understanding GERD symptoms in the clinical setting. Drugs Today (Barc). 2005;41 Suppl B:13-7 pubmed..Proper symptom assessment as a measure of the severity of disease and for the evaluation of treatment response is required, as are symptom assessment tools for practical clinical use. ..
- Singh K, Spencer A, Brennan D. Effects of water fluoride exposure at crown completion and maturation on caries of permanent first molars. Caries Res. 2007;41:34-42 pubmed..Since most of the caries occurred on pit and fissure surfaces, the findings relate to this class of lesion. ..
- Nalivaiko E, Sgoifo A. Central 5-HT receptors in cardiovascular control during stress. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2009;33:95-106 pubmed publisher..5-HT3 receptors located in sympathetic ganglia possibly contribute to the development of sustained hypertension in chronically stressed rats. ..
- Marcu L. The role of amifostine in the treatment of head and neck cancer with cisplatin-radiotherapy. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2009;18:116-23 pubmed publisher..The emerging role of radioprotectors and furthermore, the effectiveness of amifostine in combined cisplatin-radiotherapy trials are presented. ..
- To S, Rodda S, Rathjen P, Keough R. Modulation of CP2 family transcriptional activity by CRTR-1 and sumoylation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11702 pubmed publisher..These findings imply that functional redundancy with other family members may mask important roles for CRTR-1 in other tissues, including the blastocyst stage embryo and embryonic stem cells. ..
- Caughey G, Roughead E, Pratt N, Killer G, Gilbert A. Stroke risk and NSAIDs: an Australian population-based study. Med J Aust. 2011;195:525-9 pubmed
- Crowther C, Dodd J, Hiller J, Haslam R, Robinson J. Planned vaginal birth or elective repeat caesarean: patient preference restricted cohort with nested randomised trial. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001192 pubmed publisher..Women, clinicians, and policy makers can use this information to develop health advice and make decisions about care for women who have had a previous caesarean. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN53974531 ..
- Ludford I, Scheil W, Tucker G, Grivell R. Pregnancy outcomes for nulliparous women of advanced maternal age in South Australia, 1998-2008. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;52:235-41 pubmed publisher..Advanced maternal age was also independently associated with selected adverse pregnancy and infant outcomes. ..
- Kaidonis J. Oral diagnosis and treatment planning: part 4. Non-carious tooth surface loss and assessment of risk. Br Dent J. 2012;213:155-61 pubmed publisher..The adverse effects of tooth wear are becoming increasingly apparent both in young persons and, as more people retain their teeth, into old age. This situation challenges the preventive and restorative skills of dental practitioners. ..
- Wolf S, Kwakkel G, Bayley M, McDonnell M. Best practice for arm recovery post stroke: an international application. Physiotherapy. 2016;102:1-4 pubmed publisher..A simple, user-friendly app for decision making in the treatment of upper extremity impairments following stroke is feasible and welcomed. ..
- Feng F, Harper R, Reynolds P. BMPR2 gene delivery reduces mutation-related PAH and counteracts TGF-Î²-mediated pulmonary cell signalling. Respirology. 2016;21:526-32 pubmed publisher..This study provides further evidence that BMPR2 modulation may have therapeutic potential. See Editorial, page 406. ..
- Petersen K, Clifton P, Lister N, Keogh J. Effect of weight loss induced by energy restriction on measures of arterial compliance: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Atherosclerosis. 2016;247:7-20 pubmed publisher..51; p = 0.001). Augmentation index, strain, augmentation pressure and pulse pressure were not significantly changed with weight loss. Weight loss induced by energy restriction improves some measures of arterial compliance and stiffness. ..
- Doyle I, Hermans C, Bernard A, Nicholas T, Bersten A. Clearance of Clara cell secretory protein 16 (CC16) and surfactant proteins A and B from blood in acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998;158:1528-35 pubmed
- Dunbar A, Goddard C. Structure-function and biological role of betacellulin. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2000;32:805-15 pubmed..This review will focus on the structure of BTC and the various biological effects ascribed to this member of the EGF family. ..
- Townsend G, Richards L, Hughes T, Pinkerton S, Schwerdt W. The value of twins in dental research. Aust Dent J. 2003;48:82-8 pubmed..Current knowledge about the genetic bases of common dental problems is summarized and future directions in dental research involving twins are outlined. ..
- McKeen S, Dharsono F. Thoracic splenosis: diagnosis of a case based on history and computerized tomography findings. Australas Radiol. 2007;51 Suppl:B246-9 pubmed..Thoracic splenosis is an uncommon cause of multiple pleural-based nodules. We present a case where a diagnosis of thoracic splenosis was made on the basis of radiologic findings and past history. ..
- Evans A. The flat-footed child -- to treat or not to treat: what is the clinician to do?. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2008;98:386-93 pubmed..Children with juvenile arthritis should receive customized foot orthoses.) This approach will dispel much of the contention surrounding the use of foot orthoses in children. ..
- Dixon D, Griggs K, Forsyth K, Bersten A. Lower interleukin-8 levels in airway aspirates from breastfed infants with acute bronchiolitis. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2010;21:e691-6 pubmed publisher..02) but not with myeloperoxidase, suggesting the predominance of mature, secondary granule laden neutrophils. These findings indicate a potential mechanism of protective immune regulation during bronchiolitis in the breastfed infant. ..
- Yang M, Lim Y, Li X, Zhong J, Zhou X. Precursor of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (proBDNF) forms a complex with Huntingtin-associated protein-1 (HAP1) and sortilin that modulates proBDNF trafficking, degradation, and processing. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:16272-84 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the complex facilitates furin cleavage to release mature BDNF. ..
- Gronthos S, Arthur A, Bartold P, Shi S. A method to isolate and culture expand human dental pulp stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;698:107-21 pubmed publisher..This process involves the enzymatic digestion of fresh samples of human dental pulp tissue followed by the isolation of DPSC using magnetic bead cell separation, based on their expression of mesenchymal stem cell associated markers. ..
- Harvey R, Ogunniyi A, Chen A, Paton J. Pneumolysin with low hemolytic activity confers an early growth advantage to Streptococcus pneumoniae in the blood. Infect Immun. 2011;79:4122-30 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that low-hemolytic-activity Ply alleles contribute to systemic virulence and may provide a survival advantage in the blood. Moreover, pneumococci expressing such alleles remain vulnerable to Ply-based vaccines. ..
- Casolari D, Makri M, Yoshida C, Muto A, Igarashi K, Melo J. Transcriptional suppression of BACH2 by the Bcr-Abl oncoprotein is mediated by PAX5. Leukemia. 2013;27:409-15 pubmed publisher..The current results, combined with previous reports, establish Pax5 and Bach2 as transcriptional targets of Bcr-Abl, whose downregulation may contribute to lymphoid blast crisis of CML. ..
- Sundararajan K, Flabouris A, Thompson C, Seppelt I. Hospital overnight and evaluation of systems and timelines study: A point prevalence study of practice in Australia and New Zealand. Resuscitation. 2016;100:1-5 pubmed publisher..e. mortality) and the completeness of patient observations. Observational studies with a larger sample are required to explore this important problem. ..
- Knope K, Kurucz N, Doggett S, Muller M, Johansen C, Feldman R, et al. Arboviral diseases and malaria in Australia, 2012-13: Annual report of the National Arbovirus and Malaria Advisory Committee. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2016;40:E17-47 pubmed
- Gecz J, Oostra B, Hockey A, Carbonell P, Turner G, Haan E, et al. FMR2 expression in families with FRAXE mental retardation. Hum Mol Genet. 1997;6:435-41 pubmed
- Cheng A, Mavrokokki A, Carter G, Stein B, Fazzalari N, Wilson D, et al. The dental implications of bisphosphonates and bone disease. Aust Dent J. 2005;50:S4-13 pubmed..Dentists must ask about bisphosphonate usage for bone disease when recording medical histories and take appropriate actions to avoid the development of this debilitating condition in their patients. ..
- Blunden S, Chervin R. Sleep problems are associated with poor outcomes in remedial teaching programmes: a preliminary study. J Paediatr Child Health. 2008;44:237-42 pubmed..If sleep disturbances worsen daytime behaviour, then diagnosis and treatment of underlying sleep disorders could offer a novel therapeutic opportunity. ..
- Fielke K, Cord Udy N, Buckskin J, Lattanzio A. The development of an 'Indigenous team' in a mainstream mental health service in South Australia. Australas Psychiatry. 2009;17 Suppl 1:S75-8 pubmed publisher..We report on our progress to date and possible future directions for the team. ..
- Hunt T, Williams M, Frith P, Schembri D. Heliox, dyspnoea and exercise in COPD. Eur Respir Rev. 2010;19:30-8 pubmed publisher..Little conclusive evidence was found to determine whether Heliox altered the sensation of dyspnoea during exercise...
- Berry J, Ryan P, Braunack Mayer A, Duszynski K, Xafis V, Gold M. A randomised controlled trial to compare opt-in and opt-out parental consent for childhood vaccine safety surveillance using data linkage: study protocol. Trials. 2011;12:1 pubmed publisher..The limitations to generalisability are discussed. Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12610000332022. ..
- Simon S, Torpy D, Brophy B, Blumbergs P, Selva D, Crompton J. Neuro-ophthalmic manifestations and outcomes of pituitary apoplexy--a life and sight-threatening emergency. N Z Med J. 2011;124:52-9 pubmed..Pituitary apoplexy should be considered in any patient with abrupt onset of neuro-ophthalmic deficits. Prompt medical and surgical management is lifesaving and can lead to significant improvement in visual and cranial nerve deficits. ..
- Price T, Beeke C, Townsend A, Lo L, Amitesh R, Padbury R, et al. BRAF Mutation Testing and Metastatic Colorectal Cancer in the Community Setting: Is There an Urgent Need for More Education?. Mol Diagn Ther. 2016;20:75-82 pubmed publisher..BRAF testing is currently performed infrequently in an Australian setting despite its importance as a significant prognostic factor, and the implications for alternate therapeutic approaches. ..
- Arthur A, Cakouros D, Cooper L, Nguyen T, Isenmann S, Zannettino A, et al. Twist-1 Enhances Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Support of Hematopoiesis by Modulating CXCL12 Expression. Stem Cells. 2016;34:504-9 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that Twist-1, which maintains BMSC at an immature state, endows them with an increased capacity for supporting hematopoiesis via direct activation of CXCL12 gene expression. ..
- Ullrich S, Fitzgerald P, Nkamba I, Steinert R, Horowitz M, Feinle Bisset C. Intragastric Lysine Lowers the Circulating Glucose and Insulin Responses to a Mixed-Nutrient Drink without Slowing Gastric Emptying in Healthy Adults. J Nutr. 2017;147:1275-1281 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at www.anzctr.orgau as 12614000837628. ..