Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Locale: South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Hasnain S, Tauro S, Das I, Tong H, Chen A, Jeffery P, et al. IL-10 promotes production of intestinal mucus by suppressing protein misfolding and endoplasmic reticulum stress in goblet cells. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:357-368.e9 pubmed publisher..However, it is not clear how immune factors affect ER stress and therefore disease symptoms...
- Bowling F. Pyridoxine supply in human development. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2011;22:611-8 pubmed publisher..Pyridoxine potentiates vitamin A teratogenicity and an excess leads to peripheral nerve cell degeneration. The key role of vitamin B(6) in the developing human is in metabolism, especially of the neurotransmitters. ..
- Eri R, Adams R, Tran T, Tong H, Das I, Roche D, et al. An intestinal epithelial defect conferring ER stress results in inflammation involving both innate and adaptive immunity. Mucosal Immunol. 2011;4:354-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, the Winnie primary epithelial defect results in complex multicytokine-mediated colitis involving both innate and adaptive immune components with a prominent IL-23/T(H)17 response, similar to that of human ulcerative colitis. ..
- Williams S, Munster D, Quin R, Gotley D, McGuckin M. The MUC3 gene encodes a transmembrane mucin and is alternatively spliced. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;261:83-9 pubmed..The new finding that MUC3 encodes a transmembrane molecule presents a new paradigm for the structure of this mucin and the manner in which it may function. ..
- Linden S, Sheng Y, Every A, Miles K, Skoog E, Florin T, et al. MUC1 limits Helicobacter pylori infection both by steric hindrance and by acting as a releasable decoy. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000617 pubmed publisher..pylori infected mice. Thus, MUC1 protects the epithelium from non-MUC1 binding bacteria by inhibiting adhesion to the cell surface by steric hindrance, and from MUC1-binding bacteria by acting as a releasable decoy. ..
- McAuley J, Linden S, Png C, King R, Pennington H, Gendler S, et al. MUC1 cell surface mucin is a critical element of the mucosal barrier to infection. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:2313-24 pubmed
- Winkler I, Hendy J, Coughlin P, Horvath A, Levesque J. Serine protease inhibitors serpina1 and serpina3 are down-regulated in bone marrow during hematopoietic progenitor mobilization. J Exp Med. 2005;201:1077-88 pubmed..These data suggest an unexpected role for serpina1 and serpina3 in regulating the bone marrow hematopoietic microenvironment as well as influencing the migratory behavior of hematopoietic precursors. ..
- Clark G, Fitzpatrick S, Kuo B, Modra C, Jamriska L, Hart D. CMRF-35A, CMRF-35H: potential new CD. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2002;16:233-5 pubmed
- Wykes M, MacDonald K, Tran M, Quin R, Xing P, Gendler S, et al. MUC1 epithelial mucin (CD227) is expressed by activated dendritic cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2002;72:692-701 pubmed..The function of CD227 on DC and T cells requires further elucidation. ..
- Ju X, Clark G, Hart D. Review of human DC subtypes. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;595:3-20 pubmed publisher..We also hope to clarify the differences in nomenclature between the human and mouse models that have arisen by way of the different experimental models. ..
- Linden S, Florin T, McGuckin M. Mucin dynamics in intestinal bacterial infection. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3952 pubmed publisher..coli. Mucin glycoproteins are the main component of the first barrier that bacteria encounter in the intestinal tract...
- Levesque J, Winkler I, Hendy J, Williams B, Helwani F, Barbier V, et al. Hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization results in hypoxia with increased hypoxia-inducible transcription factor-1 alpha and vascular endothelial growth factor A in bone marrow. Stem Cells. 2007;25:1954-65 pubmed..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Winkler I, Barbier V, Nowlan B, Jacobsen R, Forristal C, Patton J, et al. Vascular niche E-selectin regulates hematopoietic stem cell dormancy, self renewal and chemoresistance. Nat Med. 2012;18:1651-7 pubmed publisher..As bone marrow suppression is a severe side effect of high-dose chemotherapy, transient blockade of E-selectin is potentially a promising treatment for the protection of HSCs during chemotherapy or irradiation. ..
- Forristal C, Winkler I, Nowlan B, Barbier V, Walkinshaw G, Levesque J. Pharmacologic stabilization of HIF-1? increases hematopoietic stem cell quiescence in vivo and accelerates blood recovery after severe irradiation. Blood. 2013;121:759-69 pubmed publisher..HIF-1? protein stabilization increases HSC quiescence in vivo. HIF-1? protein stabilization increases HSC resistance to irradiation and accelerates recovery. ..
- Sanchez W, McGee S, Connor T, Mottram B, Wilkinson A, Whitehead J, et al. Dichloroacetate inhibits aerobic glycolysis in multiple myeloma cells and increases sensitivity to bortezomib. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:1624-33 pubmed publisher..Myeloma cells display aerobic glycolysis and DCA may complement clinically used MM therapies to inhibit disease progression. ..
- Das I, Png C, Oancea I, Hasnain S, Lourie R, Proctor M, et al. Glucocorticoids alleviate intestinal ER stress by enhancing protein folding and degradation of misfolded proteins. J Exp Med. 2013;210:1201-16 pubmed publisher..In IBD, glucocorticoids are likely to ameliorate ER stress by promoting correct folding of secreted proteins and enhancing removal of misfolded proteins from the ER. ..