Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Locale: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Publications706 found, 100 shown here
- McWhinney B, Wallis S, Hillister T, Roberts J, Lipman J, Ungerer J. Analysis of 12 beta-lactam antibiotics in human plasma by HPLC with ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2010;878:2039-43 pubmed publisher..Validation has demonstrated the method to be linear, accurate and precise. The method has been used in a pathology laboratory for therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) of beta-lactams in critically ill patients...
- Vaska V, Nimmo G, Jones M, Grimwood K, Paterson D. Increases in Australian cutaneous abscess hospitalisations: 1999-2008. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012;31:93-6 pubmed publisher..05. Increases in hospitalisation for cutaneous abscess treatment have occurred in Australia during the last decade. Research into the underlying causes and prevention of these infections is a public health priority...
- Lawrence S, Willmott L, Milligan E, Winch S, White B, Parker M. Autonomy versus futility? Barriers to good clinical practice in end-of-life care: a Queensland case. Med J Aust. 2012;196:404-5 pubmed..Good communication between doctors and families, as well as community and professional education, is essential to resolve tensions that can arise when there is disagreement about treatment at the end of life. ..
- de Veer S, Swedberg J, Parker E, Harris J. Non-combinatorial library screening reveals subsite cooperativity and identifies new high-efficiency substrates for kallikrein-related peptidase 14. Biol Chem. 2012;393:331-41 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings highlight the importance of binding site cooperativity in protease substrate recognition, which has implications for discovery of optimal substrates and engineering highly effective protease inhibitors. ..
- Chan L, He W, Tan N, Zeng G, Craik D, Daly N. A new family of cystine knot peptides from the seeds of Momordica cochinchinensis. Peptides. 2013;39:29-35 pubmed publisher..Otherwise these new peptides MCo-3 to MCo-6 were evaluated for antimalarial activity against Plasmodium falciparum, and cytotoxic activity against the cancer cell line MDA-MB-231. But these peptides were not active...
- Zadoroznyj M, Brodribb W, Falconer L, Pearce L, Northam C, Kruske S. A qualitative study of pharmacy nurse providers of community based post-birth care in Queensland, Australia. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2013;13:144 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications and possible mechanisms to enhance best-practice care. ..
- Coppieters M, Crooke J, Lawrenson P, Khoo S, Skulstad T, Bet Or Y. A modified straight leg raise test to differentiate between sural nerve pathology and Achilles tendinopathy. A cross-sectional cadaver study. Man Ther. 2015;20:587-91 pubmed publisher..The relatively small changes in strain and excursion were most likely due to limited available ankle mobility in the tested cadavers. Further research is required to establish the diagnostic accuracy of SLRSURAL in a clinical setting. ..
- Rebbeck T, Mitra N, Wan F, Healey S, McGuffog L, Chenevix Trench G, et al. Association of type and location of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations with risk of breast and ovarian cancer. JAMA. 2015;313:1347-61 pubmed publisher..With appropriate validation, these data may have implications for risk assessment and cancer prevention decision making for carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations. ..
- Dore G, Conway B, Luo Y, Janczewska E, Knysz B, Liu Y, et al. Efficacy and safety of ombitasvir/paritaprevir/r and dasabuvir compared to IFN-containing regimens in genotype 1 HCV patients: The MALACHITE-I/II trials. J Hepatol. 2016;64:19-28 pubmed publisher..OBV/PTV/r+DSVÂ±RBV was associated with a generally better mental and physical health, more favorable tolerability, and lower rates of treatment discontinuation due to adverse events. ..
- Amini Khoei H, Hosseini M, Momeny M, Rahimi Balaei M, Amiri S, Haj Mirzaian A, et al. Morphine Attenuated the Cytotoxicity Induced by Arsenic Trioxide in H9c2 Cardiomyocytes. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2016;173:132-9 pubmed publisher..Results of this study suggest that morphine may have protective properties in management of cardiac toxicity in patients who receive ATO as an anti-cancer treatment. ..
- Doggrell S, Schaffer S. Reduced withdrawal and failure rates of accelerated nursing students enrolled in pharmacology is associated with a supportive intervention. BMC Med Educ. 2016;16:40 pubmed publisher..The introduction of an intervention was associated with reduced withdrawal and failure rates for these students in the pharmacology course. ..
- Peterson C, Siegal M. Deafness, conversation and theory of mind. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1995;36:459-74 pubmed..We discuss the results in terms of a conversational account of the development of a theory of mind in deaf children, and the extent to which this account is applicable to children with autism. ..
- Lavin M. ATM: the product of the gene mutated in ataxia-telangiectasia. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 1999;31:735-40 pubmed..It is clear that a better definition of the role of ATM in DNA damage recognition, cell cycle control and cell signalling may assist in the treatment of the progressive neurodegeneration in this syndrome. ..
- Semmler A, Whitchurch C, Leech A, Mattick J. Identification of a novel gene, fimV, involved in twitching motility in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbiology. 2000;146 ( Pt 6):1321-32 pubmed..It is suggested that FimV may be involved in remodelling of the peptidoglycan layer to enable assembly of the type IV fimbrial structure and machinery. ..
- Beamish H, Kedar P, Kaneko H, Chen P, Fukao T, Peng C, et al. Functional link between BLM defective in Bloom's syndrome and the ataxia-telangiectasia-mutated protein, ATM. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:30515-23 pubmed..These data suggest that ATM and BLM function together in recognizing abnormal DNA structures by direct interaction and that these phosphorylation sites in BLM are important for radiosensitivity status but not for SCE frequency. ..
- Baker J, Satarug S, Edwards R, Moore M, Williams D, Reilly P. Potential for early involvement of CYP isoforms in aspects of human cadmium toxicity. Toxicol Lett. 2003;137:85-93 pubmed..Potential mechanisms by which Cd may alter CYP4A11 expression are discussed briefly...
- Donoghue A. Heat illness in the U.S. mining industry. Am J Ind Med. 2004;45:351-6 pubmed..4 (P < 0.001). Heat illness occurs most frequently in stone mills, metal mills, and underground metal mines. Preventive measures should target the summer months of June, July, and August. ..
- Moseley G, Nicholas M, Hodges P. A randomized controlled trial of intensive neurophysiology education in chronic low back pain. Clin J Pain. 2004;20:324-30 pubmed..The results suggest that pain neurophysiology education, but not back school type education, should be included in a wider pain management approach. ..
- McCombe P, Csurhes P, Greer J. Studies of HLA associations in male and female patients with Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy (CIDP). J Neuroimmunol. 2006;180:172-7 pubmed..This suggests that sex-related factors may interact with the risk associated with carriage of HLA-DR2 for development of CIDP...
- Spurling G, Hayman N, Cooney A. Adult health checks for Indigenous Australians: the first year's experience from the Inala Indigenous Health Service. Med J Aust. 2009;190:562-4 pubmed..The adult health check for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders aged 15-54 years is a viable vehicle for evaluating health status, identifying chronic disease risk factors and for implementing preventive health care. ..
- Purcell A, Fleming J, Bennett S, Burmeister B, Haines T. Determining the minimal clinically important difference criteria for the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory in a radiotherapy population. Support Care Cancer. 2010;18:307-15 pubmed publisher..MCIDs validated in this study allow better interpretation of changes in MFI sub-scale scores and allow effect size calculations for determining sample size in future studies. ..
- Tsao H, Tucker K, Coppieters M, Hodges P. Experimentally induced low back pain from hypertonic saline injections into lumbar interspinous ligament and erector spinae muscle. Pain. 2010;150:167-72 pubmed publisher..The results highlight that injection into the interspinous ligament elicits consistent pain that is not influenced by trunk movements. These findings support the implementation of this experimental ligament pain model in research. ..
- Comans T, Currin M, Brauer S, Haines T. Factors associated with quality of life and caregiver strain amongst frail older adults referred to a community rehabilitation service: implications for service delivery. Disabil Rehabil. 2011;33:1215-21 pubmed publisher..Community rehabilitation services working with older populations must adopt models of care that screen for and address a wide range of factors that contribute to poor quality of life and caregiver strain. ..
- Danoy P, Pryce K, Hadler J, Bradbury L, Farrar C, Pointon J, et al. Association of variants at 1q32 and STAT3 with ankylosing spondylitis suggests genetic overlap with Crohn's disease. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001195 pubmed publisher..Finally these findings suggest common aetiopathogenic pathways for AS and Crohn's disease and further highlight the involvement of common risk variants across multiple diseases. ..
- Ibiebele T, Hughes M, Pandeya N, Zhao Z, Montgomery G, Hayward N, et al. High intake of folate from food sources is associated with reduced risk of esophageal cancer in an Australian population. J Nutr. 2011;141:274-83 pubmed publisher..High intake of folate-containing foods may reduce risk of EAC, but our data raise the possibility that folic acid supplementation may increase risks of BE with dysplasia and EAC...
- Tsao H, Tucker K, Hodges P. Changes in excitability of corticomotor inputs to the trunk muscles during experimentally-induced acute low back pain. Neuroscience. 2011;181:127-33 pubmed publisher..Further work is required to reveal whether such changes involve spinal and/or supraspinal centres and their consequence for spine control...
- Whitington T, Frith M, Johnson J, Bailey T. Inferring transcription factor complexes from ChIP-seq data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:e98 pubmed publisher..SpaMo can assist researchers in extracting maximum information relating to binding mechanisms from their TF ChIP-seq data. SpaMo is available for download and interactive use as part of the MEME Suite (http://meme.nbcr.net). ..
- Kotze A, Steinmann P, Zhou H, Du Z, Zhou X. The effect of egg embryonation on field-use of a hookworm benzimidazole-sensitivity egg hatch assay in Yunnan Province, People's Republic of China. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1203 pubmed publisher..The protocols used in this study and our suggested measures for accounting for egg embryonation should have widespread application in monitoring benzimidazole sensitivity at field sites worldwide. ..
- Smutny M, Wu S, Gomez G, Mangold S, Yap A, Hamilton N. Multicomponent analysis of junctional movements regulated by myosin II isoforms at the epithelial zonula adherens. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22458 pubmed publisher..This extends our recent analysis of Myosin II at the ZA to demonstrate that Myosin IIA and Myosin IIB make distinct contributions to junctional movement at the ZA...
- Abu Bakar A, Arthur D, Wikman A, Rahnasto M, Juvonen R, Vepsalainen J, et al. Metabolism of bilirubin by human cytochrome P450 2A6. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;261:50-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the observations indicate that the CYP2A6 may function as human "Bilirubin Oxidase" where bilirubin is potentially a substrate and a regulator of the enzyme. ..
- Duncombe J, Clements A, Hu W, Weinstein P, Ritchie S, Espino F. Geographical information systems for dengue surveillance. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;86:753-5 pubmed publisher..It also advocates for increased international collaboration in transboundary disease surveillance to confront the emerging global challenge of dengue. ..
- Booth Depaz I, Toselli F, Wilce P, Gillam E. Differential expression of human cytochrome P450 enzymes from the CYP3A subfamily in the brains of alcoholic subjects and drug-free controls. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013;41:1187-94 pubmed publisher..The site-specific expression of CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 in the human brain may have implications for the role of these enzymes in both normal brain physiology and the response to drugs. ..
- Colquhoun D, Bunker S, Clarke D, Glozier N, Hare D, Hickie I, et al. Screening, referral and treatment for depression in patients with coronary heart disease. Med J Aust. 2013;198:483-4 pubmed..The benefits of treating depression include improved quality of life, improved adherence to other therapies and, potentially, improved CHD outcomes. ..
- Edwards S, Beesley J, French J, Dunning A. Beyond GWASs: illuminating the dark road from association to function. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;93:779-97 pubmed publisher..These approaches have already accelerated progress from genetic studies to biological knowledge and might ultimately guide the development of prognostic, preventive, and therapeutic measures. ..
- ..This article will help readers develop an increased understanding of Twitter as a tool for extracting useful facts and insights from the ever increasing volume of health information. ..
- Weber T, Debuse D, Salomoni S, Elgueta Cancino E, De Martino E, Caplan N, et al. Trunk muscle activation during movement with a new exercise device for lumbo-pelvic reconditioning. Physiol Rep. 2017;5: pubmed publisher..These data suggest that FRED continuously engages LM and TrA, and therefore, has the potential as a stationary exercise device to train these muscles. ..
- Delaney S, Rich D, Thomson S, Hargrave M, Lovelock P, Welsh M, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator splice variants are not conserved and fail to produce chloride channels. Nat Genet. 1993;4:426-31 pubmed
- Koopman P. Sry and Sox9: mammalian testis-determining genes. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1999;55:839-56 pubmed
- Cho Min Naing -, Lertmaharit S, Kamol ratanakul P, Saul A. Ex post and ex ante willingness to pay (WTP) for the ICT Malaria Pf/Pv test kit in Myanmar. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2000;31:104-11 pubmed..05) in the ex ante condition in a household survey of YAS village. Traveling time to RHC had a negative relationship with WTP (p < 0.05) in the ex post condition in the RHC survey in KK village. ..
- Gemmell E, Bird P, Carter C, Drysdale K, Seymour G. Effect of Fusobacterium nucleatum on the T and B cell responses to Porphyromonas gingivalis in a mouse model. Clin Exp Immunol. 2002;128:238-44 pubmed..nucleatum. Finally, the results suggested that P. gingivalis and F. nucleatum do not induce the production of cross-reactive antibodies to other oral microorganisms. ..
- Hatfield J, Rothnagel J, Smith R. Characterization of the mouse hnRNP A2/B1/B0 gene and identification of processed pseudogenes. Gene. 2002;295:33-42 pubmed..The fifth, which possesses putative promoter elements and has a coding sequence identical to that of the hnRNP A2 mRNA variant, may be functional. ..
- Yan M, Peng J, Jabbar I, Liu X, Filgueira L, Frazer I, et al. Activation of dendritic cells by human papillomavirus-like particles through TLR4 and NF-kappaB-mediated signalling, moderated by TGF-beta. Immunol Cell Biol. 2005;83:83-91 pubmed..LC may resist activation in normal epithelium abundant in TGF-beta, but not in situations in which TGF-beta concentrations are reduced. ..
- Morgan T, Cowley D, Weier S, Venkatesh B. Stability of the strong ion gap versus the anion gap over extremes of PCO2 and pH. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2007;35:370-3 pubmed..01; hypoalbuminaemic blood: 16.5 (0.8) mEq/l versus 11.8 (2.0) mEq/l, P < 0.05). We conclude that, unlike the AG, the SIG is not affected by severe respiratory acidosis and alkalosis, enhancing its utility in acid-base disturbances. ..
- Carter O, Hasler F, Pettigrew J, Wallis G, Liu G, Vollenweider F. Psilocybin links binocular rivalry switch rate to attention and subjective arousal levels in humans. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;195:415-24 pubmed..In addition, it suggests that psilocybin's effect on binocular rivalry is unlikely to be mediated by the 5-HT2A receptor. ..
- Wood J, McGwin G, Elgin J, Vaphiades M, Braswell R, DeCarlo D, et al. On-road driving performance by persons with hemianopia and quadrantanopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:577-85 pubmed publisher..This study was designed to examine the on-road driving performance of drivers with hemianopia and quadrantanopia compared with age-matched controls...
- Rajandram R, Pat B, Li J, Johnson D, Gobe G. Expression of apoptotic tumour necrosis factor receptor-associated factor, caspase recruitment domain and cell death-inducing DFF-45 effector genes in therapy-treated renal cell carcinoma. Nephrology (Carlton). 2009;14:205-12 pubmed publisher..These newly identified RCC apoptosis genes have shown potential for improving outcome in other cancers and may prove to have the same potential in RCC with further study. ..
- Ramm G, Shepherd R, Hoskins A, Greco S, Ney A, Pereira T, et al. Fibrogenesis in pediatric cholestatic liver disease: role of taurocholate and hepatocyte-derived monocyte chemotaxis protein-1 in hepatic stellate cell recruitment. Hepatology. 2009;49:533-44 pubmed publisher..Therapies aimed at neutralizing MCP-1 or bile acids may help reduce fibro-obliterative liver injury in childhood cholestatic diseases. ..
- Vargas A, Lakhani S, Simpson P. Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma of the breast: molecular pathology and clinical impact. Future Oncol. 2009;5:233-43 pubmed publisher..It is now important to define the most appropriate management strategy for patients diagnosed with pleomorphic lobular carcinoma...
- Cheung C, Gibbons N, Johnson D, Nicol D. Silibinin--a promising new treatment for cancer. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2010;10:186-95 pubmed..The results of these studies may help to more precisely target and dose silibinin therapy to optimise clinical outcomes for oncology patients. ..
- Nolan M, Nitz J, Choy N, Illing S. Age-related changes in musculoskeletal function, balance and mobility measures in men aged 30-80 years. Aging Male. 2010;13:194-201 pubmed publisher..Hence, these results inform clinicians and policy makers for the establishment of pre-emptive interventions to promote healthier ageing. ..
- McKenna K, Liddle J, Brown A, Lee K, Gustafsson L. Comparison of time use, role participation and life satisfaction of older people after stroke with a sample without stroke. Aust Occup Ther J. 2009;56:177-88 pubmed publisher..Experiencing a stroke can affect the configuration of older people's time use and reduce their role participation. Facilitation of older people's role participation after stroke may enhance their life satisfaction. ..
- Dredge K, Hammond E, Handley P, Gonda T, Smith M, Vincent C, et al. PG545, a dual heparanase and angiogenesis inhibitor, induces potent anti-tumour and anti-metastatic efficacy in preclinical models. Br J Cancer. 2011;104:635-42 pubmed publisher..The anti-metastatic property of PG545, likely due to the inhibition of heparanase, may prove to be a critical attribute as the compound enters phase I clinical trials. ..
- McEvoy B, Powell J, Goddard M, Visscher P. Human population dispersal "Out of Africa" estimated from linkage disequilibrium and allele frequencies of SNPs. Genome Res. 2011;21:821-9 pubmed publisher..sapiens from Africa. We use simulated genetic polymorphism data to demonstrate the validity of our conclusions against alternative population demographic scenarios. ..
- Finnane A, Liu Y, Battistutta D, Janda M, Hayes S. Lymphedema after breast or gynecological cancer: use and effectiveness of mainstream and complementary therapies. J Altern Complement Med. 2011;17:867-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it highlights the immediate need for larger prospective studies assessing the inter-relationship between the use of mainstream and CAM therapies for treatment success. ..
- Mika A, Reynolds S, Mohlin F, Willis C, Swe P, Pickering D, et al. Novel scabies mite serpins inhibit the three pathways of the human complement system. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40489 pubmed publisher..In summary, the SMSs were acting at several levels mediating overall inhibition of the complement system and thus we propose that they may protect scabies mites from complement-mediated gut damage...
- Sheard J, Ash S, Silburn P, Kerr G. Nutritional status in Parkinson's disease patients undergoing deep brain stimulation surgery: a pilot study. J Nutr Health Aging. 2013;17:148-51 pubmed publisher..Malnutrition remains unrecognised and untreated in this group despite unintentional weight loss and presence of nutrition impact symptoms. Improving nutritional status prior to surgery may improve surgical outcomes. ..
- Faith J. Taphonomic and paleoecological change in the large mammal sequence from Boomplaas Cave, western Cape, South Africa. J Hum Evol. 2013;65:715-30 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with recent arguments that the LGM in this region may not have been extremely harsh and arid. ..
- Hasnain S, Prins J, McGuckin M. Oxidative and endoplasmic reticulum stress in β-cell dysfunction in diabetes. J Mol Endocrinol. 2016;56:R33-54 pubmed publisher..Finally we summarise evidence that β-cell dysfunction is reversible in T2D and discuss therapeutic opportunities for relieving oxidative and ER stress and restoring glycaemic control. ..
- Haylen B, Maher C, Barber M, Camargo S, Dandolu V, Digesu A, et al. An International Urogynecological Association (IUGA) / International Continence Society (ICS) joint report on the terminology for female pelvic organ prolapse (POP). Int Urogynecol J. 2016;27:165-94 pubmed publisher..Interval (5-10 year) review is anticipated to keep the document updated and as widely acceptable as possible. A consensus-based Terminology Report for female POP has been produced to aid clinical practice and research. ..
- Gassner C, BrÃ¶nnimann C, Merki Y, Mattle Greminger M, Sigurdardottir S, Meyer E, et al. Stepwise partitioning of Xp21: a profiling method for XK deletions causative of the McLeod syndrome. Transfusion. 2017;57:2125-2135 pubmed publisher..1 is pragmatic and cost-efficient in comparison to other diagnostic techniques such as "massive parallel sequencing" given the rarity of MLS. All males with suspected MLS should be considered for molecular XK profiling. ..
- Dantas de Araujo A, Wu C, Wu K, Reid R, Durek T, Lim J, et al. Europium-Labeled Synthetic C3a Protein as a Novel Fluorescent Probe for Human Complement C3a Receptor. Bioconjug Chem. 2017;28:1669-1676 pubmed publisher..The macromolecular conjugate Eu-DTPA-hC3a is a novel nonradioactive probe suitable for studying ligand-C3aR interactions with potential value in accelerating drug development for human C3aR in physiology and disease...
- Kumar R, Duffy S, Avery V, Davis R. Synthesis of antimalarial amide analogues based on the plant serrulatane diterpenoid 3,7,8-trihydroxyserrulat-14-en-19-oic acid. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4091-4095 pubmed publisher..Replacing the carboxylic acid of 1 with various amides resulted in moderate activity against the P. falciparum 3D7 strain with IC50 values ranging from 1.25 to 5.65µM. ..
- Yang J, Zeng J, Goddard M, Wray N, Visscher P. Concepts, estimation and interpretation of SNP-based heritability. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1304-1310 pubmed publisher..We discuss issues that could influence the accuracy of , definitions, assumptions and interpretations of the models, and pitfalls of misusing the methods and misinterpreting the models and results. ..
- Kennedy D, Wood S, Ramsdale T, Tam P, Steiner K, Mattick J. Identification of a mouse orthologue of the human ras-GAP-SH3-domain binding protein and structural confirmation that these proteins contain an RNA recognition motif. Biomed Pept Proteins Nucleic Acids. 1996;2:93-9 pubmed
- Mulvenna J, Foley F, Craik D. Discovery, structural determination, and putative processing of the precursor protein that produces the cyclic trypsin inhibitor sunflower trypsin inhibitor 1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:32245-53 pubmed..The precursor reported here also indicates that despite strong active site sequence homology, SFTI-1 has no other similarities with the Bowman-Birk trypsin inhibitors, presenting interesting evolutionary questions. ..
- Hoy W, Hughson M, Singh G, Douglas Denton R, Bertram J. Reduced nephron number and glomerulomegaly in Australian Aborigines: a group at high risk for renal disease and hypertension. Kidney Int. 2006;70:104-10 pubmed..Optimization of fetal growth should ultimately reduce the florid epidemic of renal disease, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease...
- Weinrauch P, Moore W, Shooter D, Wilkinson M, Bonrath E, Dedy N, et al. Early prosthetic complications after unipolar hemiarthroplasty. ANZ J Surg. 2006;76:432-5 pubmed
- Lynch B, Baade P, Fritschi L, Leggett B, Owen N, Pakenham K, et al. Modes of presentation and pathways to diagnosis of colorectal cancer in Queensland. Med J Aust. 2007;186:288-91 pubmed..The strong association between not having health insurance and longer post-presentation times is concerning. The other hypothesised predictors of time to diagnosis were not as strongly associated as we anticipated. ..
- Wei M, Mengesha A, Good D, Anne J. Bacterial targeted tumour therapy-dawn of a new era. Cancer Lett. 2008;259:16-27 pubmed
- Roberts J, Webb S, Paterson D, Ho K, Lipman J. A systematic review on clinical benefits of continuous administration of beta-lactam antibiotics. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:2071-8 pubmed publisher..We systematically reviewed the literature to determine whether any clinical benefits exist for administration of beta-lactam antibiotics by extended or continuous infusion...
- Voisey J, Swagell C, Hughes I, Connor J, Lawford B, Young R, et al. A polymorphism in the dysbindin gene (DTNBP1) associated with multiple psychiatric disorders including schizophrenia. Behav Brain Funct. 2010;6:41 pubmed publisher..These disorders may actually be different expressions of a single metabolic pathway perturbation. As our participant numbers are limited our observations should be viewed with caution until they are independently replicated. ..
- Clark M. Toolmark identification of a mattock to a clod of soil from a grave. J Forensic Sci. 2011;56:241-3 pubmed publisher..Shovels and a mattock, which had been discarded by the suspects, were subsequently found at another location. A toolmark comparison identified the hoe end of the mattock head as having produced the striated toolmark. ..
- Hardy J, Carmont S, O Shea A, Vora R, Schluter P, Nikles C, et al. Pilot study to determine the optimal dose of methylphenidate for an n-of-1 trial for fatigue in patients with cancer. J Palliat Med. 2010;13:1193-7 pubmed publisher..The results indicate a dose of 5 mg twice daily for the definitive study. There was little correlation between performance status and maximum tolerated dose. No patient withdrew because of toxicity. ..
- Gabbett T. The development and application of an injury prediction model for noncontact, soft-tissue injuries in elite collision sport athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2010;24:2593-603 pubmed publisher..These findings provide information on the training dose-response relationship and a scientific method of monitoring and regulating training load in elite collision sport athletes. ..
- Warrilow D, Warren K, Harrich D. Strand transfer and elongation of HIV-1 reverse transcription is facilitated by cell factors in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13229 pubmed publisher..It also had a protective function for the reverse transcription products, but it is unclear if this is related to improved DNA synthesis. ..
- Pelecanos A, Ryan P, Gatton M. Outbreak detection algorithms for seasonal disease data: a case study using Ross River virus disease. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2010;10:74 pubmed publisher..Although many algorithms have been designed for detecting outbreaks, few have been specifically assessed against diseases that have distinct seasonal incidence patterns, such as those caused by vector-borne pathogens...
- Williams J, Greenslade J, McKenzie J, Chu K, Brown A, Paterson D, et al. A prospective registry of emergency department patients admitted with infection. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:27 pubmed publisher..The detailed observational data obtained will provide a solid baseline to inform the design of further controlled trials planned to optimise treatment and outcomes for emergency patients admitted with infections. ..
- Cascales L, Henriques S, Kerr M, Huang Y, Sweet M, Daly N, et al. Identification and characterization of a new family of cell-penetrating peptides: cyclic cell-penetrating peptides. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:36932-43 pubmed publisher..The ability of diverse disulfide-rich cyclic peptides to penetrate cells enhances their potential in drug design, and we propose a new classification for them, i.e. cyclic cell-penetrating peptides...
- Scott I, Gray L, Martin J, Pillans P, Mitchell C. Deciding when to stop: towards evidence-based deprescribing of drugs in older populations. Evid Based Med. 2013;18:121-4 pubmed publisher..Evidence supporting a structured approach to drug discontinuation (or deprescribing) is emerging, and while many barriers to deprescribing exist in routine practice, various enabling strategies can help overcome them. ..
- Millers E, Johnson L, Birrell G, Masci P, Lavin M, de Jersey J, et al. The structure of human microplasmin in complex with textilinin-1, an aprotinin-like inhibitor from the Australian brown snake. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54104 pubmed publisher..The unusual mode of interaction between textilinin-1 and plasmin explains textilinin-1's selectivity for human plasmin over plasma kallikrein. This difference can be exploited in future drug design efforts. ..
- Hemani G, Shakhbazov K, Westra H, Esko T, Henders A, McRae A, et al. Detection and replication of epistasis influencing transcription in humans. Nature. 2014;508:249-53 pubmed publisher..This study presents the first evidence, to our knowledge, for many instances of segregating common polymorphisms interacting to influence human traits. ..
- Keays S, Keays R, Newcombe P. Femoral intercondylar notch width size: a comparison between siblings with and without anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016;24:672-9 pubmed publisher..To reduce ACL-injury rates, we advise that siblings of ACL-injured athletes with narrow notches, be radiologically screened, and if necessary, cautioned and counselled regardingÂ preventative training. Case-control study, Level III. ..
- Yau M, Liu L, Lim J, Lohman R, Cotterell A, Suen J, et al. Benzylamide antagonists of protease activated receptor 2 with anti-inflammatory activity. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:986-991 pubmed publisher..These findings show that new benzylamide antagonists of PAR2 have anti-inflammatory activity. ..
- Drali R, Abi Rached L, Boutellis A, Djossou F, Barker S, Raoult D. Host switching of human lice to new world monkeys in South America. Infect Genet Evol. 2016;39:225-231 pubmed publisher..Because this phylogenetic group forms a separate branch within the clade of lice from humans that were of American origin, this finding indicates that human lice have transferred to New World monkeys. ..
- Lipscombe B, Boyd R, Coleman A, Fahey M, Rawicki B, Whittingham K. Does early communication mediate the relationship between motor ability and social function in children with cerebral palsy?. Res Dev Disabil. 2016;53-54:279-86 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates the important role of early communication in ongoing social development. Early identification of communication delay and enriched language exposure is crucial in this population. ..