Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Locale: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Song X, Ding Y, Liu G, Yang X, Zhao R, Zhang Y, et al. Cancer Cell-derived Exosomes Induce Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase-dependent Monocyte Survival by Transport of Functional Receptor Tyrosine Kinases. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:8453-64 pubmed publisher..This work provides insights into the long sought question on monocyte survival prior to formation of plentiful TAMs in the tumor microenvironment. ..
- Prickett T, Zerlanko B, Gartner J, Parker S, Dutton Regester K, Lin J, et al. Somatic mutations in MAP3K5 attenuate its proapoptotic function in melanoma through increased binding to thioredoxin. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:452-460 pubmed publisher..This mutation represents a potential target for the design of new therapies to treat melanoma. ..
- French J, Johnatty S, Lu Y, Beesley J, Gao B, Kalimutho M, et al. Germline polymorphisms in an enhancer of PSIP1 are associated with progression-free survival in epithelial ovarian cancer. Oncotarget. 2016;7:6353-68 pubmed publisher..We therefore suggest that the minor allele of rs7874043 confers poor PFS by increasing PSIP1 expression. ..
- Powell E, Jonsson J, Clouston A. Metabolic factors and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease as co-factors in other liver diseases. Dig Dis. 2010;28:186-91 pubmed publisher..This has important clinical and therapeutic implications and suggests that obesity should be actively addressed in the management of patients with other chronic liver diseases. ..
- Ye P, Zhao L, McGirr C, Gonda T. MYB down-regulation enhances sensitivity of U937 myeloid leukemia cells to the histone deacetylase inhibitor LBH589 in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett. 2014;343:98-106 pubmed publisher..The combination of MYB knockdown and LBH589 prolonged survival compared to either treatment alone, suggesting that further development of such combinations might lead to effective and safe leukemia therapies. ..
- Cozzi S, Ogbourne S, James C, Rebel H, de Gruijl F, Ferguson B, et al. Ingenol mebutate field-directed treatment of UVB-damaged skin reduces lesion formation and removes mutant p53 patches. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:1263-71 pubmed publisher..Field-directed treatment may be particularly suitable for patients who have AKs surrounded by UV-damaged skin. ..
- Lickliter J, Wood N, Johnson L, McHugh G, Tan J, Wood F, et al. HA14-1 selectively induces apoptosis in Bcl-2-overexpressing leukemia/lymphoma cells, and enhances cytarabine-induced cell death. Leukemia. 2003;17:2074-80 pubmed..Agents of this class may have particular utility in combination with cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs. ..
- Fernandes C, Horn A, Lopes B, Bull E, Azeredo N, Kanashiro M, et al. Induction of apoptosis in leukemia cell lines by new copper(II) complexes containing naphthyl groups via interaction with death receptors. J Inorg Biochem. 2015;153:68-87 pubmed publisher..This signal is amplified by mitochondria with the concomitant release of cytochrome c and the activation of caspase 9. ..
- Norazit A, Meedeniya A, Nguyen M, Mackay Sim A. Progressive loss of dopaminergic neurons induced by unilateral rotenone infusion into the medial forebrain bundle. Brain Res. 2010;1360:119-29 pubmed publisher..01, p?0.05). Dopaminergic axons exposed to low-dose rotenone undergo oxidative stress, with a resultant ongoing loss of dopaminergic neurons, providing an animal model relevant to Parkinson disease. ..
- Nataatmadja M, West M, West J, Summers K, Walker P, Nagata M, et al. Abnormal extracellular matrix protein transport associated with increased apoptosis of vascular smooth muscle cells in marfan syndrome and bicuspid aortic valve thoracic aortic aneurysm. Circulation. 2003;108 Suppl 1:II329-34 pubmed..Up-regulation of MMP-2 might play a role in VSMC apoptosis in MS VSMC. The findings suggest the presence of a fundamental cellular abnormality in BAV thoracic aorta, possibly of genetic origin. ..
- Holzapfel N, Holzapfel B, Champ S, Feldthusen J, Clements J, Hutmacher D. The potential role of lycopene for the prevention and therapy of prostate cancer: from molecular mechanisms to clinical evidence. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:14620-46 pubmed publisher..The scope of this article is to discuss the potential impact of lycopene on prostate cancer by giving an overview about its molecular mechanisms and clinical effects. ..
- Leggatt G, Gabrielli B. Histone deacetylase inhibitors in the generation of the anti-tumour immune response. Immunol Cell Biol. 2012;90:33-8 pubmed publisher..This review will examine the evidence for the generation of anti-tumour immunity after treatment of cancers with HDAC inhibitors. ..
- Mattarollo S, Kenna T, Nieda M, Nicol A. Chemotherapy and zoledronate sensitize solid tumour cells to Vgamma9Vdelta2 T cell cytotoxicity. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2007;56:1285-97 pubmed..We conclude that administration of Vgamma9Vdelta2 T cells at suitable intervals after chemotherapy and zoledronate may substantially increase antitumour activities in a range of malignancies. ..
- Antalis T, La Linn M, Donnan K, Mateo L, Gardner J, Dickinson J, et al. The serine proteinase inhibitor (serpin) plasminogen activation inhibitor type 2 protects against viral cytopathic effects by constitutive interferon alpha/beta priming. J Exp Med. 1998;187:1799-811 pubmed
- Hasnain S, Prins J, McGuckin M. Oxidative and endoplasmic reticulum stress in β-cell dysfunction in diabetes. J Mol Endocrinol. 2016;56:R33-54 pubmed publisher..Finally we summarise evidence that β-cell dysfunction is reversible in T2D and discuss therapeutic opportunities for relieving oxidative and ER stress and restoring glycaemic control. ..
- Burgess A, Pavey S, Warrener R, Hunter L, Piva T, Musgrove E, et al. Up-regulation of p21(WAF1/CIP1) by histone deacetylase inhibitors reduces their cytotoxicity. Mol Pharmacol. 2001;60:828-37 pubmed..These data indicate the enormous potential of therapeutic strategies that bypass the cytoprotective effect of p21 and act on the same molecular targets as the histone deacetylase inhibitors. ..
- Nataatmadja M, West J, West M. Overexpression of transforming growth factor-beta is associated with increased hyaluronan content and impairment of repair in Marfan syndrome aortic aneurysm. Circulation. 2006;114:I371-7 pubmed..These factors limit tissue repair and are likely to contribute to aneurysm development. ..
- Pat B, Cuttle L, Watters D, Yang T, Johnson D, Gobe G. Fibrogenic stresses activate different mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways in renal epithelial, endothelial or fibroblast cell populations. Nephrology (Carlton). 2003;8:196-204 pubmed..Our results demonstrate renal cell-specific differences in the activation of ERK and JNK following fibrotic insult, which may be useful for targeting excessive fibroblast proliferation in chronic fibrosis. ..
- Moxon Lester L, Sinclair K, Burke C, Cowin G, Rose S, Colditz P. Increased cerebral lactate during hypoxia may be neuroprotective in newborn piglets with intrauterine growth restriction. Brain Res. 2007;1179:79-88 pubmed..These findings support previous studies showing increased susceptibility to hypoxic brain injury in IUGR neonates but suggest that increased glycolysis during hypoxia confers neuroprotection in some IUGR piglets. ..
- Shahzad M, Small D, Morais C, Wojcikowski K, Shabbir A, Gobe G. Protection against oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in kidney epithelium by Angelica and Astragalus. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;179:412-9 pubmed publisher..membranaceus. In conclusion, in a model of oxidative stress that might occur after nephrotoxicity, the plant extracts were protective via anti-apoptotic and anti-inflammatory mechanisms. ..
- Tonks I, Hacker E, Irwin N, Muller H, Keith P, Mould A, et al. Melanocytes in conditional Rb-/- mice are normal in vivo but exhibit proliferation and pigmentation defects in vitro. Pigment Cell Res. 2005;18:252-64 pubmed
- Spring K, Cross S, Li C, Watters D, Ben Senior L, Waring P, et al. Atm knock-in mice harboring an in-frame deletion corresponding to the human ATM 7636del9 common mutation exhibit a variant phenotype. Cancer Res. 2001;61:4561-8 pubmed..Thus, expression of mutant protein in Atm-DeltaSRI knock-in mice gives rise to a discernibly different phenotype to Atm(-/-) mice, which may account for the heterogeneity seen in A-T patients with different mutations. ..
- Small D, Bennett N, Roy S, Gabrielli B, Johnson D, Gobe G. Oxidative stress and cell senescence combine to cause maximal renal tubular epithelial cell dysfunction and loss in an in vitro model of kidney disease. Nephron Exp Nephrol. 2012;122:123-30 pubmed publisher..The aim here was to use an in vitro model to investigate the separate and cumulative effects of oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and cell senescence in promoting loss of renal mass...
- Nasreen M, Waldie T, Dixon C, Steptoe R. Steady-state antigen-expressing dendritic cells terminate CD4+ memory T-cell responses. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:2016-25 pubmed publisher..This finding is important in understanding how to effectively apply immunotherapy to ongoing T-cell-mediated autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. ..
- Gobe G, Rubin M, Williams G, Sawczuk I, Buttyan R. Apoptosis and expression of Bcl-2, Bcl-XL, and Bax in renal cell carcinomas. Cancer Invest. 2002;20:324-32 pubmed..The results indicate that, in RCCs with increased expression of Bcl-2 and/or Bcl-XL, levels of apoptosis are minimal and these combined factors may assist in progression of the cancers and resistance to treatments. ..
- Gobe G, Bennett N, West M, Colditz P, Brown L, Vesey D, et al. Increased progression to kidney fibrosis after erythropoietin is used as a treatment for acute kidney injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014;306:F681-92 pubmed publisher..In summary, although rhEPO was protective of renal function and structure in acute kidney injury, the supraphysiological dose needed for renoprotection contributed to fibrogenesis and stimulated chronic kidney disease in the long term. ..
- van Bueren K, Bennetts J, Fowles L, Berkman J, Simpson F, Wicking C. Murine embryonic expression of the gene for the UV-responsive protein p15(PAF). Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:47-50 pubmed..Our data also suggest a role in embryonic development, consistent with findings that a wide range of tumours result from aberrant activity of key developmental pathways. ..
- Nichols A, Meelkop E, Linton C, Giordano Santini R, Sullivan R, Donato A, et al. The Apoptotic Engulfment Machinery Regulates Axonal Degeneration in C.Â elegans Neurons. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1673-1683 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal the existence of a WLD(S)/Nmnat-independent axonal degeneration pathway, conservation of the axonal clearance machinery, and a function for CED-7 and NRF-5 in this process. ..
- Bolderson E, Richard D, Edelmann W, Khanna K. Involvement of Exo1b in DNA damage-induced apoptosis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:3452-63 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Exo1 has a role in the timely induction of apoptosis and that it is subsequently cleaved and degraded during apoptosis, potentially inhibiting DNA damage repair. ..
- Duffy S, Coulthard M, Spanevello M, Herath N, Yeadon T, McCarron J, et al. Generation and characterization of EphA1 receptor tyrosine kinase reporter knockout mice. Genesis. 2008;46:553-61 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a possible role for EphA1 in tissue patterning and hormone-induced apoptotic processes. ..
- Cardinal J, Margison G, Mynett K, Yates A, Cameron D, Elder R. Increased susceptibility to streptozotocin-induced beta-cell apoptosis and delayed autoimmune diabetes in alkylpurine-DNA-N-glycosylase-deficient mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5605-13 pubmed..5-fold greater in the APNG(-/-) mice. We conclude that APNG substrates are diabetogenic but by different mechanisms according to the status of APNG activity. ..
- Catts V, Al Menhali N, Burne T, Colditz M, Coulson E. The p75 neurotrophin receptor regulates hippocampal neurogenesis and related behaviours. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:883-92 pubmed publisher..However, the behavioural attributes of the p75(NTR-/-) mice may be better explained by altered circuitry driven by the loss of p75(NTR) in the basal forebrain, rather than direct changes to neurogenesis. ..
- Sagulenko V, Thygesen S, Sester D, Idris A, Cridland J, Vajjhala P, et al. AIM2 and NLRP3 inflammasomes activate both apoptotic and pyroptotic death pathways via ASC. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:1149-60 pubmed publisher..Thus caspase-8 is an integral part of the inflammasome, and this extends the relevance of the inflammasome to cell types that do not express caspase-1. ..
- Müller C, Nguyen T, Ahlemeyer B, Meshram M, Santrampurwala N, Cao S, et al. PEX13 deficiency in mouse brain as a model of Zellweger syndrome: abnormal cerebellum formation, reactive gliosis and oxidative stress. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:104-19 pubmed publisher..Thus, PEX13-deficient mice provide a valuable animal model for investigating the molecular basis and treatment of ZS cerebellar pathology. ..
- Gueven N, Luff J, Peng C, Hosokawa K, Bottle S, Lavin M. Dramatic extension of tumor latency and correction of neurobehavioral phenotype in Atm-mutant mice with a nitroxide antioxidant. Free Radic Biol Med. 2006;41:992-1000 pubmed..These data suggest that antioxidant therapy has considerable potential in the management of ataxia telangiectasia and possibly other neurodegenerative disorders where oxidative stress is implicated...
- Ainsworth T, Kramasky Winter E, Loya Y, Hoegh Guldberg O, Fine M. Coral disease diagnostics: what's between a plague and a band?. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:981-92 pubmed..The pathology of coral disease as a whole requires further investigation. This study emphasizes the importance of going beyond the external macroscopic signs of coral disease for accurate disease diagnosis. ..
- Sieh S, Taubenberger A, Rizzi S, Sadowski M, Lehman M, Rockstroh A, et al. Phenotypic characterization of prostate cancer LNCaP cells cultured within a bioengineered microenvironment. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40217 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest that the presented 3D culture system represents a powerful tool for high throughput prostate cancer drug testing that recapitulates tumor microenvironment. ..
- Monteith G, Davis F, Roberts Thomson S. Calcium channels and pumps in cancer: changes and consequences. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:31666-73 pubmed publisher..In some cases, these Ca(2+) channels or pumps are potential therapeutic targets for specific cancer subtypes or correlate with prognosis. ..
- Tallack M, Perkins A. KLF1 directly coordinates almost all aspects of terminal erythroid differentiation. IUBMB Life. 2010;62:886-90 pubmed publisher..The full extent of KLF1 target genes have provided new insights into erythropoiesis, and have established that KLF1 controls almost all aspects of erythroid cell development and maturation. ..
- Lavin M, Gueven N. The complexity of p53 stabilization and activation. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:941-50 pubmed..The stability of p53 is also influenced by a series of other interacting proteins. In this review, we discuss the post-translational modifications to p53 in response to different stresses and the consequences of these changes. ..
- Dickinson J, Bates E, Ferrante A, Antalis T. Plasminogen activator inhibitor type 2 inhibits tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced apoptosis. Evidence for an alternate biological function. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:27894-904 pubmed..The results suggest that intracellular PAI-2 might be an important factor in regulating cell death in TNF-mediated inflammatory processes through inhibition of a proteinase involved in TNF-induced apoptosis. ..
- Ye P, Zhao L, Gonda T. The MYB oncogene can suppress apoptosis in acute myeloid leukemia cells by transcriptional repression of DRAK2 expression. Leuk Res. 2013;37:595-601 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify a novel mechanism by which MYB suppresses apoptosis in an AML model cell line. ..
- Peake J, Gobe G, Fassett R, Coombes J. The effects of dietary fish oil on inflammation, fibrosis and oxidative stress associated with obstructive renal injury in rats. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011;55:400-10 pubmed publisher..Compared with normal chow, fish oil increased the expression of HO-1 protein in kidney tissue. Fish oil intake reduced inflammation, fibrosis and oxidative stress following obstructive renal injury. ..
- Wu M, Brennan F, Lynch J, Mantovani S, Phipps S, Wetsel R, et al. The receptor for complement component C3a mediates protection from intestinal ischemia-reperfusion injuries by inhibiting neutrophil mobilization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:9439-44 pubmed publisher..This study identifies a role for C3aR in regulating neutrophil mobilization after acute intestinal injury and highlights C3aR agonism as a potential treatment option for acute, neutrophil-driven pathologies. ..
- Tallack M, Whitington T, Yuen W, Wainwright E, Keys J, Gardiner B, et al. A global role for KLF1 in erythropoiesis revealed by ChIP-seq in primary erythroid cells. Genome Res. 2010;20:1052-63 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we suggest new mechanisms for KLF1 cooperation with other transcription factors, in particular the erythroid transcription factor GATA1, to maintain homeostasis in the erythroid compartment...
- Wykes M, Zhou Y, Liu X, Good M. Plasmodium yoelii can ablate vaccine-induced long-term protection in mice. J Immunol. 2005;175:2510-6 pubmed..Our study demonstrates a novel mechanism by which Plasmodium ablates immunological memory of vaccines, which would leave the host immuno-compromised. ..
- Sköld H, Aspengren S, Cheney K, Wallin M. Fish Chromatophores--From Molecular Motors to Animal Behavior. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2016;321:171-219 pubmed publisher..In this cross-disciplinary review, we have highlighted emerging trends in pigment cell research and identified unsolved problems for future research. ..
- Guo X, Zheng H, Guo Y, Wang Y, Anderson G, Ci Y, et al. Nasal delivery of nanoliposome-encapsulated ferric ammonium citrate can increase the iron content of rat brain. J Nanobiotechnology. 2017;15:42 pubmed publisher..Moreover, there was not overtly toxic affects to brain, lung epithelial cells and tracheal mucosa. ..
- Day B, Stringer B, Al Ejeh F, Ting M, Wilson J, Ensbey K, et al. EphA3 maintains tumorigenicity and is a therapeutic target in glioblastoma multiforme. Cancer Cell. 2013;23:238-48 pubmed publisher..These results identify EphA3 as a functional, targetable receptor in GBM. ..
- Skeldal S, Sykes A, Glerup S, Matusica D, Palstra N, Autio H, et al. Mapping of the interaction site between sortilin and the p75 neurotrophin receptor reveals a regulatory role for the sortilin intracellular domain in p75 neurotrophin receptor shedding and apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:43798-809 pubmed publisher..Thus, although the intracellular domain of sortilin does not contribute to p75(NTR) binding, it does regulate the rates of p75(NTR) cleavage, which is required to mediate pro-neurotrophin-stimulated cell death. ..
- de Kluyver R, Moritz L, Harris C, Azukizawa H, Frazer I. Antigen-specific CD8 T cells can eliminate antigen-bearing keratinocytes with clonogenic potential via an IFN-gamma-dependent mechanism. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:1841-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, antigen-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTLs) may mediate destruction of epithelium expressing non-self antigen by eliminating KCs with potential for self-renewal through an IFN-gamma-dependent mechanism. ..
- Markey K, Burman A, Banovic T, Kuns R, Raffelt N, Rowe V, et al. Soluble lymphotoxin is an important effector molecule in GVHD and GVL. Blood. 2010;115:122-32 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that antagonists neutralizing both TNF and LTalpha3 may be effective for treatment of GVHD, particularly if residual leukemia lacks the p55 TNFR. ..
- Tallack M, Magor G, Dartigues B, Sun L, Huang S, Fittock J, et al. Novel roles for KLF1 in erythropoiesis revealed by mRNA-seq. Genome Res. 2012;22:2385-98 pubmed publisher..Our study has identified two novel lncRNAs that are dynamically expressed during erythroid differentiation, and discovered a role for KLF1 in directing apoptotic gene expression to drive the terminal stages of erythroid maturation. ..
- Pavlovski D, Thundyil J, Monk P, Wetsel R, Taylor S, Woodruff T. Generation of complement component C5a by ischemic neurons promotes neuronal apoptosis. FASEB J. 2012;26:3680-90 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that neurons in the CNS have the capability to generate C5a following ischemic stress, and this has the potential to activate their C5a receptors, with deleterious consequences. ..
- Ewen K, Koopman P. Mouse germ cell development: from specification to sex determination. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;323:76-93 pubmed publisher..At this point, germ cells (GCs) commit to either a female or male sexual lineage, denoted by meiosis entry and mitotic arrest, respectively. This developmental program is determined by cues emanating from the somatic environment...
- Wojcikowski K, Wohlmuth H, Johnson D, Gobe G. Effect of Astragalus membranaceus and Angelica sinensis combined with Enalapril in rats with obstructive uropathy. Phytother Res. 2010;24:875-84 pubmed publisher..Further studies focusing on the isolation of the active constituents of A&A and the clinical application of the combination of ACEi plus A&A are warranted to determine the value of this treatment in humans...
- Waterhouse N, Kumar S, Song Q, Strike P, Sparrow L, Dreyfuss G, et al. Heteronuclear ribonucleoproteins C1 and C2, components of the spliceosome, are specific targets of interleukin 1beta-converting enzyme-like proteases in apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:29335-41 pubmed..The results described here demonstrate that the hnRNP C proteins, abundant nuclear proteins thought to be involved in RNA splicing, belong to a critical set of protein substrates that are cleaved by ICE-like proteases during apoptosis. ..
- Yang H, Zhang Y, Wang Z, Xue S, Li S, Zhou X, et al. Increased Chondrocyte Apoptosis in Kashin-Beck Disease and Rats Induced by T-2 Toxin and Selenium Deficiency. Biomed Environ Sci. 2017;30:351-362 pubmed publisher..T-2 toxin under a selenium-deficient nutritional status induces chondrocyte death, which emphasizes the role of chondrocyte apoptosis in cartilage damage and progression of KBD. ..
- Gobe G. Apoptosis in brain and gut tissue of mice fed a seed preparation of the cycad Lepidozamia peroffskyana. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;205:327-33 pubmed