Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Locale: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Publications1013 found, 100 shown here
- Burke D, Howells J, Trevillion L, McNulty P, Jankelowitz S, Kiernan M. Threshold behaviour of human axons explored using subthreshold perturbations to membrane potential. J Physiol. 2009;587:491-504 pubmed publisher..By extrapolation, we suggest that, when human axons discharge, nodal slow K+ currents will be activated sufficiently early to contribute to the early changes in excitability following the action potential. ..
- Fung C, Naughton S, Turnbull L, Tingpej P, Rose B, Arthur J, et al. Gene expression of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a mucin-containing synthetic growth medium mimicking cystic fibrosis lung sputum. J Med Microbiol. 2010;59:1089-100 pubmed publisher..ASMDM thus appears to be highly suitable for gene expression studies of P. aeruginosa in CF. ..
- Octavia S, Maharjan R, Sintchenko V, Stevenson G, Reeves P, Gilbert G, et al. Insight into evolution of Bordetella pertussis from comparative genomic analysis: evidence of vaccine-driven selection. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:707-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that B. pertussis, despite its high population homogeneity, is evolving in response to vaccination pressure with recent expansion of clones carrying variants of genes encoding ACV antigens...
- Pandit S, Sullivan J, Egger V, Borecki A, Oleskevich S. Functional effects of adult human olfactory stem cells on early-onset sensorineural hearing loss. Stem Cells. 2011;29:670-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that transplantation of adult human olfactory mucosa-derived stem cells can help preserve auditory function during early-onset progressive sensorineural hearing loss. ..
- Nabipour I, Sambrook P, Blyth F, Janu M, Waite L, Naganathan V, et al. Serum uric acid is associated with bone health in older men: a cross-sectional population-based study. J Bone Miner Res. 2011;26:955-64 pubmed publisher..51, 95% CI 0.29-0.89, p?=?.018) fractures. In conclusion, higher serum UA levels are associated with higher BMD at all skeletal sites and with a lower prevalence of vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in older men. ..
- Prasad S, See V, Brown P, McKay T, Narayan A, Kovoor P, et al. Impact of duration of ischemia on left ventricular diastolic properties following reperfusion for acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2011;108:348-54 pubmed publisher..LV diastolic dysfunction represents a significant pathophysiologic link among duration of myocardial ischemia, infarct size, and outcomes. ..
- Vaithilingam V, Quayum N, Joglekar M, Jensen J, Hardikar A, Oberholzer J, et al. Effect of alginate encapsulation on the cellular transcriptome of human islets. Biomaterials. 2011;32:8416-25 pubmed publisher..In vivo studies indicate differences among the centres in the quality of the islets isolated. We conclude that microencapsulation of human islets with barium alginate has little effect on their transcriptome. ..
- Solski J, Yang S, Nicholson G, Luquin N, Williams K, Fernando R, et al. A novel TARDBP insertion/deletion mutation in the flail arm variant of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2012;13:465-70 pubmed publisher..The identification of a TARDBP indel mutation in a patient with FAV extends the spectrum of mutations and further supports the role of TDP-43 in a range of neurodegenerative phenotypes. ..
- Zablotska I, Holt M, de Wit J, McKechnie M, Mao L, Prestage G. Gay men who are not getting tested for HIV. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:1887-94 pubmed..Interventions should encourage regular testing, engage with young gay men, improve access and convenience of testing, train service providers and expand testing options. ..
- Georgiou A, Westbrook J, Braithwaite J. An empirically-derived approach for investigating Health Information Technology: the Elementally Entangled Organisational Communication (EEOC) framework. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2012;12:68 pubmed publisher..The EEOC framework aims to account for the complex range of contextual factors and triggers that play a role in the success or otherwise of new HITs, and in the realisation of their innovation potential. ..
- Luckett T, Davidson P, Lam L, Phillips J, Currow D, Agar M. Do community specialist palliative care services that provide home nursing increase rates of home death for people with life-limiting illnesses? A systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative studies. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013;45:279-97 pubmed publisher..But a compelling trend warrants further confirmatory studies. Future trials should compare the relative efficacy of different models and intensities of SPCSs. ..
- Burgess A, Lorca T, Castro A. Quantitative live imaging of endogenous DNA replication in mammalian cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45726 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that this simplified method can be used to accurately identify and quantify DNA replication under multiple and various experimental conditions. ..
- Wiley K, Cooper S, Wood N, Leask J. Understanding pregnant women's attitudes and behavior toward influenza and pertussis vaccination. Qual Health Res. 2015;25:360-70 pubmed publisher..They were thus more likely to intend to vaccinate against pertussis to protect their infant. Framing of vaccination information toward protection of the baby might help increase vaccine uptake among pregnant women. ..
- Norman R, Viney R, Aaronson N, Brazier J, Cella D, Costa D, et al. Using a discrete choice experiment to value the QLU-C10D: feasibility and sensitivity to presentation format. Qual Life Res. 2016;25:637-49 pubmed publisher..A DCE valuation task in which only four of the QLU-C10D's ten dimensions differed in any choice set is feasible for deriving utility weights for the QLU-C10D. ..
- Murray S, Griffiths S, Hazery L, Shen T, Wooldridge T, Mond J. Go big or go home: A thematic content analysis of pro-muscularity websites. Body Image. 2016;16:17-20 pubmed publisher..Clinician awareness of the potentially non-healthful behaviors involved in the pursuit of muscularity may enhance the detection and treatment of male eating disorders, in particular. ..
- King M, Costa D, Aaronson N, Brazier J, Cella D, Fayers P, et al. QLU-C10D: a health state classification system for a multi-attribute utility measure based on the EORTC QLQ-C30. Qual Life Res. 2016;25:625-36 pubmed publisher..The next phase of the QLU-C10D's development involves valuation studies, currently planned or being conducted across the globe. ..
- McKetin R, Dawe S, Burns R, Hides L, Kavanagh D, Teesson M, et al. The profile of psychiatric symptoms exacerbated by methamphetamine use. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;161:104-9 pubmed publisher..66, p=0.056). Methamphetamine use produced a symptom profile comprised of positive psychotic and affective symptoms, which aligned with a diagnosis of substance-induced psychosis, with no evidence of a negative syndrome. ..
- Janssen A, Shaw T, Bradbury L, Moujaber T, NÃ¸rrelykke A, Zerillo J, et al. A mixed methods approach to developing and evaluating oncology trainee education around minimization of adverse events and improved patient quality and safety. BMC Med Educ. 2016;16:91 pubmed publisher..This is particularly important for junior doctors as they are working closely with patients and learning skills and behaviors, which will influence their practice throughout their careers. ..
- Kim I, Kim D, Song Y, Guermazi A, Crema M, Hunter D, et al. The prevalence of periarticular lesions detected on magnetic resonance imaging in middle-aged and elderly persons: a cross-sectional study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:186 pubmed publisher..Periarticular lesions on MRI of the knee are common in middle-aged and elderly persons. Anserine bursitis and Baker's cysts are more common in subjects with knee pain compared to those without. ..
- Lv J, Zhang H, Wong M, Jardine M, Hladunewich M, Jha V, et al. Effect of Oral Methylprednisolone on Clinical Outcomes in Patients With IgA Nephropathy: The TESTING Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:432-442 pubmed publisher..Guidelines recommend corticosteroids in patients with IgA nephropathy and persistent proteinuria, but the effects remain uncertain...
- Oei J, Lui K, Wang H, Henry R. Decreased neutrophil apoptosis in tracheal fluids of preterm infants at risk of chronic lung disease. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2003;88:F245-9 pubmed..To investigate the hypothesis that preterm infants who are more susceptible to lung damage have decreased neutrophil apoptosis, and to explore its relation to interleukin 10 (IL10) concentration...
- Tan E, Stark H, Lowinger J, Ringland C, Ward R, Pearson S. Information sources used by New South Wales cancer clinicians: a qualitative study. Intern Med J. 2006;36:711-7 pubmed..However, to ensure maximal CI-SCaT uptake, implementation plans should harness positive behavioural influences and attempt to modify the negative forces that act on hospital clinicians in their day-to-day work. ..
- Baldwin J, Dadds M. Reliability and validity of parent and child versions of the multidimensional anxiety scale for children in community samples. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46:252-60 pubmed..The MASC is useful for directly comparing symptom reporting across children and parents during clinical assessment. ..
- Shafiq J, Delaney G, Barton M. An evidence-based estimation of local control and survival benefit of radiotherapy for breast cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2007;84:11-7 pubmed..These estimates could be used to benchmark population-based survival reports and to assess the cost-effectiveness of radiotherapy for breast cancer treatment. ..
- Sharma N, Ooi J, Papalkar D, Sharma S, Francis I, Fung V. Pharmacological mydriasis secondary to ipratropium bromide: a cause of unilateral dilated pupil. J Clin Neurosci. 2008;15:320-1 pubmed publisher..No alternative cause was found despite extensive investigations. Greater recognition of this iatrogenic cause of reversible pupillary dilatation may avoid the need for unnecessary investigations...
- Li H, Mitchell P, Liew G, Rochtchina E, Kifley A, Wong T, et al. Lens opacity and refractive influences on the measurement of retinal vascular fractal dimension. Acta Ophthalmol. 2010;88:e234-40 pubmed publisher..Myopic refraction ?-4D was associated with a reduction in Df, suggesting rarefaction of retinal vasculature associated with high myopia. ..
- Pandya V, Lee S, Benger R, Danks J, Kourt G, Martin P, et al. External dacryocystorhinostomy: assessing factors that influence outcome. Orbit. 2010;29:291-7 pubmed publisher..002). The results at our tertiary center are comparable to results stated in the literature. In our series, only the amount of nasolacrimal obstruction and duration of postoperative intubation influenced surgical success. ..
- Idan A, Griffiths K, Harwood D, Seibel M, Turner L, Conway A, et al. Long-term effects of dihydrotestosterone treatment on prostate growth in healthy, middle-aged men without prostate disease: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153:621-32 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the wider use of nonsteroidal pure androgens in older men. BHR Pharma. ..
- Coulson S, Croxson G, Adams R, Oey V. Prognostic factors in herpes zoster oticus (ramsay hunt syndrome). Otol Neurotol. 2011;32:1025-30 pubmed publisher..To determine if an accurate prognosis can be made in patients with Herpes zoster oticus (HZO), facial nerve outcomes were assessed at 1-year after onset and compared with symptoms and signs at presentation...
- Dix C, Yeung D, Rule M, Ma D. Essential, but at what risk? A prospective study on central venous access in patients with haematological malignancies. Intern Med J. 2012;42:901-6 pubmed publisher..The relatively high complication rate, compared with reports of non-haematology patients, highlights the need to improve CVC management, a vital part of care for this population. ..
- Morton R, Snelling P, Webster A, Rose J, Masterson R, Johnson D, et al. Factors influencing patient choice of dialysis versus conservative care to treat end-stage kidney disease. CMAJ. 2012;184:E277-83 pubmed publisher..Patients approaching end-stage kidney disease are willing to trade considerable life expectancy to reduce the burden and restrictions imposed by dialysis. ..
- Timmins S, Diba C, Farrow C, Schoeffel R, Berend N, Salome C, et al. The relationship between airflow obstruction, emphysema extent, and small airways function in COPD. Chest. 2012;142:312-319 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that small airways disease and emphysema extent contribute independently to the severity of both COPD and airflow obstruction...
- Murray S, Rieger E, Hildebrandt T, Karlov L, Russell J, Boon E, et al. A comparison of eating, exercise, shape, and weight related symptomatology in males with muscle dysmorphia and anorexia nervosa. Body Image. 2012;9:193-200 pubmed publisher..The present findings provide moderate support for the notion that muscle dysmorphia may be nosologically similar to anorexia nervosa. ..
- Oates E, Payne J, Foster S, Clarke N, North K. Young Australian adults with NF1 have poor access to health care, high complication rates, and limited disease knowledge. Am J Med Genet A. 2013;161A:659-66 pubmed publisher..Access to multidisciplinary adult clinics that specialize in NF1 may address many of the unmet health needs of young adults with NF1. ..
- Ng S, Tang W, Ching J, Wong M, Chow C, Hui A, et al. Incidence and phenotype of inflammatory bowel disease based on results from the Asia-pacific Crohn's and colitis epidemiology study. Gastroenterology. 2013;145:158-165.e2 pubmed publisher..IBD can be as severe or more severe in Asia than in the West. The emergence of IBD in Asia will result in the need for specific health care resources, and offers a unique opportunity to study etiologic factors in developing nations. ..
- Klein A, Rapee R, Hudson J, Schniering C, Wuthrich V, Kangas M, et al. Interpretation modification training reduces social anxiety in clinically anxious children. Behav Res Ther. 2015;75:78-84 pubmed publisher..This study also highlights the importance of using specific training stimuli. ..
- Roy R, Hebden L, Rangan A, Allman Farinelli M. The development, application, and validation of a Healthy eating index for Australian Adults (HEIFA-2013). Nutrition. 2016;32:432-40 pubmed publisher..The findings infer that even a highly educated affluent group of young adults fails to meet recommended dietary guidelines. ..
- Stanbury J, Baade P, Yu Y, Yu X. Cancer survival in New South Wales, Australia: socioeconomic disparities remain despite overall improvements. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:48 pubmed publisher..While recent health and social policies in NSW have accompanied an increase in cancer survival overall, they have not been associated with a reduction in socioeconomic inequalities. ..
- Mukherjee P, Huilgol R, Graham A, Fagan P. Open and endovascular repair of aneurysms affecting the distal extracranial internal carotid artery: case series. J Laryngol Otol. 2016;130 Suppl 4:S29-34 pubmed publisher..An open surgical approach is difficult but well established. Endovascular treatment of these lesions is a relatively recent technique, and new cases need to be continually reported with a view to attaining long-term data. ..
- Hunter J, Leach M, Braun L, Bensoussan A. An interpretive review of consensus statements on clinical guideline development and their application in the field of traditional and complementary medicine. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:116 pubmed publisher..Uptake of the recommendations arising from this review are expected to result in the development of higher quality clinical guidelines that offer greater assistance to those seeking answers about the appropriate use of T&CM. ..
- Hu Y, Tanaka T, Zhu J, Guan W, Wu J, Psaty B, et al. Discovery and fine-mapping of loci associated with MUFAs through trans-ethnic meta-analysis in Chinese and European populations. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:974-981 pubmed publisher..Pathway-based analyses suggested that the identified loci were in unsaturated FA metabolism and signaling pathways. Our findings provide novel insight into the genetic basis relevant to MUFA metabolism and biology. ..
- Chong L, Sautenet B, Tong A, Hanson C, Samuel S, Zappitelli M, et al. Range and Heterogeneity of Outcomes in Randomized Trials of Pediatric Chronic Kidney Disease. J Pediatr. 2017;186:110-117.e11 pubmed publisher..Efforts to ensure consistent reporting of outcomes that are important to patients and clinicians will improve the value of trials to guide clinical decision-making. In our study, non-English articles were excluded. ..
- Jayamaha J, Binns P, Fennell M, Ferson M, Newton P, Tran T, et al. Laboratory diagnosis, molecular characteristics, epidemiological and clinical features of an outbreak of measles in a low incidence population in Australia. J Clin Virol. 2012;54:168-73 pubmed publisher..Several disease markers are employed for diagnosis and are important to determine epidemiological and molecular characteristics for future control measures...
- Dore G. The changing therapeutic landscape for hepatitis C. Med J Aust. 2012;196:629-32 pubmed
- Kwok J, Li Q, Hallupp M, Whyte S, Ames D, Beyreuther K, et al. Novel Leu723Pro amyloid precursor protein mutation increases amyloid beta42(43) peptide levels and induces apoptosis. Ann Neurol. 2000;47:249-53 pubmed..The mutation is predicted to alter the luminal transmembrane length and helical arrangement of the APP molecule and thus affect the gamma-secretase cleavage site. ..
- Bariol C, Field A, Vickers C, Ward R. Regression of gastric T cell lymphoma with eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Gut. 2001;48:269-71 pubmed..This is the first report of a gastric T cell lymphoma regressing with H pylori eradication, and suggests a causal link between primary gastric T cell lymphoma and this organism. ..
- McHardy A, Pollard H. Unusual cause of wrist pain in a golfer. Br J Sports Med. 2004;38:e34 pubmed..The unusual case is reported of a low handicap golfer with wrist pain aggravated by the putting stroke. The condition was resolved with treatment. The likely mechanism for the injury is discussed. ..
- Huynh O, Hampartzoumian T, Arm J, Hunt J, Borges L, Ahern M, et al. Down-regulation of leucocyte immunoglobulin-like receptor expression in the synovium of rheumatoid arthritis patients after treatment with disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2007;46:742-51 pubmed..However, clinical responses may not be due to direct effects of DMARDs on LILR expression but due to partial inhibition of LIRA2-mediated TNF-alpha production by steroids leading to suppression of inflammation. ..
- Murphy B, Belov K, Thompson M. Evolution of viviparity and uterine angiogenesis: vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in oviparous and viviparous skinks. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2010;314:148-56 pubmed publisher..The presence of VEGF(111) in S. equalis may be an opportunity to investigate the function of this unique transcript in a whole animal system. ..
- Anderson L, Sutherland R, Butt A. BAG-1 overexpression attenuates luminal apoptosis in MCF-10A mammary epithelial cells through enhanced RAF-1 activation. Oncogene. 2010;29:527-38 pubmed publisher..As BAG-1 expression is often elevated in preinvasive breast cancers, these findings support a possible role for BAG-1 as an early contributor to the malignant process in the breast. ..
- Weber M, Banks E, Sitas F. Smoking in migrants in New South Wales, Australia: report on data from over 100 000 participants in The 45 and Up Study. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2011;30:597-605 pubmed publisher..Smoking prevalence varies substantially across cultural subgroups. Understanding smoking dynamics across diverse cultural groups will assist in better targeting of tobacco control programs. ..
- Massudi H, Grant R, Guillemin G, Braidy N. NAD+ metabolism and oxidative stress: the golden nucleotide on a crown of thorns. Redox Rep. 2012;17:28-46 pubmed publisher..NAD+ precursors have been shown to slow down ageing and extend lifespan in yeasts, and protect severed axons from degeneration in animal models neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Lv J, Neal B, Ehteshami P, Ninomiya T, Woodward M, Rodgers A, et al. Effects of intensive blood pressure lowering on cardiovascular and renal outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001293 pubmed publisher..Further trials are required to more clearly define the risks and benefits of BP targets below those currently recommended, given the benefits suggested by the currently available data. ..
- Chow E, Iu K, Fu X, Wilson D, Zhang L. HIV and sexually transmissible infections among money boys in China: a data synthesis and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48025 pubmed publisher..8% (10.6-20.3%) concurrently use illicit drugs. HIV/STI epidemics have affected Chinese MBs but the evidence suggests that the extent of infections is not greater than among other MSM in China. ..
- Singer J, Trollor J, Crawford J, O Rourke M, Baune B, Brodaty H, et al. The association between pulse wave velocity and cognitive function: the Sydney Memory and Ageing Study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61855 pubmed publisher..A higher level of PWV was not associated with lower cognitive function in the whole sample. ..
- Halliday L, Boughton M, Kerridge I. Liminal reproductive experiences after therapies for hematological malignancy. Qual Health Res. 2015;25:408-16 pubmed publisher..These issues might possibly require longer-term support, counseling, and informational resources. We also discuss the strengths, limitations, and implications of the study. ..
- Melehan K, Hoyos C, Yee B, Wong K, Buchanan P, Grunstein R, et al. Increased sexual desire with exogenous testosterone administration in men with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Andrology. 2016;4:55-61 pubmed publisher..These small improvements would need to be balanced against potentially more serious adverse effects of T therapy on breathing. ..
- Rao P, Phan K, Maharaj M, Pelletier M, Walsh W, Mobbs R. Accelerometers for objective evaluation of physical activity following spine surgery. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;26:14-8 pubmed publisher..Future studies should aim to validate accelerometer data in relation to traditional measures of functional recovery, patient outcomes, and physical activity. ..
- Harte J, Sheehan A, Stewart S, Foureur M. Childbirth Supporters' Experiences in a Built Hospital Birth Environment: Exploring Inhibiting and Facilitating Factors in Negotiating the Supporter Role. HERD. 2016;9:135-61 pubmed publisher..Suggested design guidelines to facilitate supporters' well-being and their roles in designed hospital birth spaces are provided. ..
- Kabir M, Rahman M, Smith W, Lusha M, Azim S, Milton A. Knowledge and perception about climate change and human health: findings from a baseline survey among vulnerable communities in Bangladesh. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:266 pubmed publisher..The most influential factor leading to understanding of CC and its impact on health was education. School-based intervention could be explored to increase peoples' knowledge about CC and necessary health adaptation at community level. ..
- Du Y, Chen M, Yang J, Jia Y, Han S, Holmes E, et al. Molecular Evolution and Emergence of H5N6 Avian Influenza Virus in Central China. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..4.4, with the exception of one virus with an HA gene derived from clade 2.3.2 such that it represents a novel reassortant. Clearly, the ongoing surveillance of LPMs is central to monitoring the emergence of pathogenic influenza viruses. ..
- Varcoe R. Combination therapy for complex peripheral artery disease: the evidence for combining mechanical revascularization with anti-restenotic drug delivery systems. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2017;58:722-730 pubmed publisher..Herein we seek to describe and evaluate the growing number of options for combination treatment in this challenging disease. ..
- Mayer M, Naylor J, Harris I, Badge H, Adie S, Mills K, et al. Evidence base and practice variation in acute care processes for knee and hip arthroplasty surgeries. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180090 pubmed publisher..Surgeon practices vary widely even in the presence of high-level recommendations. It is unclear whether further evidence alone would lessen unwarranted practice variation. ..
- Lord M, Cheng B, McCarthy S, Jung M, Whitelock J. The modulation of platelet adhesion and activation by chitosan through plasma and extracellular matrix proteins. Biomaterials. 2011;32:6655-62 pubmed publisher..These data support the role of plasma and extracellular matrix proteins in promoting chitosan mediated platelet adhesion and activation supporting the hypothesis that chitosan promotes wound healing via these interactions. ..
- Rhee J, Zwar N, Kemp L. Uptake and implementation of Advance Care Planning in Australia: findings of key informant interviews. Aust Health Rev. 2012;36:98-104 pubmed publisher..A patient-centred approach to ACP is required to resolve the differences in views on how advance care plans should be implemented. ..
- Badolato J, Gardiner E, Morrison N, Eisman J. Identification and characterisation of a novel human RNA-binding protein. Gene. 1995;166:323-7 pubmed..E5.1 may, therefore, represent a novel gene, encoding a protein involved in processing of precursor RNAs into mature mRNA. ..
- Khachigian L, Santiago F, Rafty L, Chan O, Delbridge G, Bobik A, et al. GC factor 2 represses platelet-derived growth factor A-chain gene transcription and is itself induced by arterial injury. Circ Res. 1999;84:1258-67 pubmed..These findings demonstrate negative regulation of PDGF-A expression by GCF2. This is the first report of the induction of an endogenous transcriptional repressor in the rat vessel wall. ..
- Jalbert I, Stapleton F. Effect of lens wear on corneal stroma: preliminary findings. Aust N Z J Ophthalmol. 1999;27:211-3 pubmed..05). These preliminary findings indicate that extended wear of hydrogel lenses reduces stromal keratocyte density. The mechanisms for this alteration may include hypoxic, cytokine-mediated or mechanical effects. ..
- Armour K, Lowe P. Complicated lichenoid drug eruption. Australas J Dermatol. 2005;46:21-4 pubmed..The mucosal lesions were slow to improve and required the addition of tacrolimus 0.03% solution t.d.s. for complete resolution. ..
- Jin F, Prestage G, Pell C, Donovan B, Van de Ven P, Kippax S, et al. Hepatitis A and B infection and vaccination in a cohort of homosexual men in Sydney. Sex Health. 2004;1:227-37 pubmed..This study points to a need for vaccination strategies which ensure high levels of hepatitis A and B immunity in young sexually active gay men. ..
- Wright D. Specialist payment schemes and patient selection in private and public hospitals. J Health Econ. 2007;26:1014-26 pubmed..On the other hand, salary aligns the interests of fairness preferring specialists with benevolent public hospitals that commit to admit all patients irrespective of their expected length of stay. ..
- ..The therapeutic efficacy of steroids in the management of Meniere's disease, sudden idiopathic sensorineural HL, chronic otitis media, and vestibular neuronitis remain controversial. ..
- Valenzuela M, Sachdev P. Can cognitive exercise prevent the onset of dementia? Systematic review of randomized clinical trials with longitudinal follow-up. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009;17:179-87 pubmed publisher..Importantly, cognitive exercise has yet to be shown to prevent incident dementia in an appropriately designed trial and this is now an international priority. ..
- Ampt A, Amoroso C, Harris M, McKenzie S, Rose V, Taggart J. Attitudes, norms and controls influencing lifestyle risk factor management in general practice. BMC Fam Pract. 2009;10:59 pubmed publisher..Provider education, community awareness raising, support and capacity building may improve the uptake of lifestyle modification interventions. ..
- Pang T, Ihre Lundgren C, Gill A, McMullen T, Sywak M, Sidhu S, et al. Correlation between indeterminate aspiration cytology and final histopathology of thyroid neoplasms. Surgery. 2010;148:532-7 pubmed publisher..Papillary cancer in this group of patients trended up, probably due to a significant increase in the diagnosis of follicular variant of papillary cancer. ..
- Goodchild S, Howell M, Littler D, Mandyam R, Sale K, Mazzanti M, et al. Metamorphic response of the CLIC1 chloride intracellular ion channel protein upon membrane interaction. Biochemistry. 2010;49:5278-89 pubmed publisher..Consistent with previous findings, the N-terminal domain of CLIC1 is likely to insert into the lipid bilayer, while the C-domain remains in solution on the extravesicular side of the membrane. ..
- Yacopetti N, Alexandrou E, Spencer T, Frost S, Davidson P, O Sullivan G, et al. Central venous catheter insertion by a clinical nurse consultant or anaesthetic medical staff: a single-centre observational study. Crit Care Resusc. 2010;12:90-5 pubmed..4/1000 catheters in the CNC group (P = 0.04). Insertion outcomes were favourable in both the AMS and CNC groups. Infection outcomes differed between groups, with a higher rate of CRBSI in the AMS group. ..
- Bachmann P, Piazza R, Janes M, Wong N, Davies C, Mogavero A, et al. Epigenetic silencing of BIM in glucocorticoid poor-responsive pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and its reversal by histone deacetylase inhibition. Blood. 2010;116:3013-22 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a novel therapeutic strategy to reverse glucocorticoid resistance and improve outcome for high-risk pediatric ALL. ..
- Awan N, Bennett M, Walters W. Emergency peripartum hysterectomy: a 10-year review at the Royal Hospital for Women, Sydney. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011;51:210-5 pubmed publisher..Previous CS is a risk factor for abnormal placentation and particularly for morbid adherence of the placenta. The morbidity associated with EPH is considerable. ..
- Barter P, Rye K, Tardif J, Waters D, Boekholdt S, Breazna A, et al. Effect of torcetrapib on glucose, insulin, and hemoglobin A1c in subjects in the Investigation of Lipid Level Management to Understand its Impact in Atherosclerotic Events (ILLUMINATE) trial. Circulation. 2011;124:555-62 pubmed publisher..It remains to be determined whether this effect is the consequence of raising high-density lipoprotein.at http:www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00134264. ..
- Roberts T, Sutton G, Lawless M, Jindal Bali S, Hodge C. Capsular block syndrome associated with femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2011;37:2068-70 pubmed publisher..No author has a financial or proprietary interest in any material or method mentioned. Additional disclosure is found in the footnotes. ..
- Alhagamhmad M, Day A, Lemberg D, Leach S. An update of the role of nutritional therapy in the management of Crohn's disease. J Gastroenterol. 2012;47:872-82 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the role of exclusive enteral nutrition as a therapeutic option for the treatment of Crohn's disease, as well as the latest findings into its mechanisms of action. ..
- Schmidt J, Fleming J, Ownsworth T, Lannin N. Video feedback on functional task performance improves self-awareness after traumatic brain injury: a randomized controlled trial. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2013;27:316-24 pubmed publisher..The results also provide evidence that improvement in self-awareness was not accompanied by deterioration in emotional status. ..
- Evans A, Bagnall R, Duflou J, Semsarian C. Postmortem review and genetic analysis in sudden infant death syndrome: an 11-year review. Hum Pathol. 2013;44:1730-6 pubmed publisher..The underlying cause of SIDS remains largely unknown. Mutations in cardiac ion channel genes including rare nonsynonymous HCN gene variants may play a role in the pathogenesis of some SIDS cases. ..
- Chu D, Li K, Epps J, Smith J, Wolfe J. Experimental evaluation of inverse filtering using physical systems with known glottal flow and tract characteristics. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;133:EL358-62 pubmed publisher..Accurate determination of resonance frequencies and bandwidths required a suitable order of inverse filter. ..
- Tran N, Hutvagner G. Biogenesis and the regulation of the maturation of miRNAs. Essays Biochem. 2013;54:17-28 pubmed publisher..In the present chapter we highlight the most important steps of miRNA processing, describe the functions of key proteins involved in the maturation of miRNAs, and discuss how the generation and the stability of miRNAs are regulated. ..
- Liew S, Wu W, Chan H, Ho W, Kim H, Goodman G, et al. Consensus on Changing Trends, Attitudes, and Concepts of Asian Beauty. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2016;40:193-201 pubmed publisher..For a full description of these Evidence-Based Medicine ratings, please refer to Table of Contents or the online Instructions to Authors www.springer.com/00266. ..