Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on amino acids in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Locale: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Topic: amino acids
- Dance I. The mechanistically significant coordination chemistry of dinitrogen at FeMo-co, the catalytic site of nitrogenase. J Am Chem Soc. 2007;129:1076-88 pubmed
- Ting L, Williams T, Cowley M, Lauro F, Guilhaus M, Raftery M, et al. Cold adaptation in the marine bacterium, Sphingopyxis alaskensis, assessed using quantitative proteomics. Environ Microbiol. 2010;12:2658-76 pubmed publisher..This study is also a benchmark for comparative proteomic analyses with other important marine bacteria and other cold-adapted organisms. ..
- Foo L, Zhang Q, Zhu K, Ma G, Hu X, Greenfield H, et al. Low vitamin D status has an adverse influence on bone mass, bone turnover, and muscle strength in Chinese adolescent girls. J Nutr. 2009;139:1002-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that adequate vitamin D status during adolescence is important for optimizing bone mass, which may lead to higher peak bone mass at maturity. Poor vitamin D status also compromises forearm muscle strength. ..
- Fanson B, Taylor P. Additive and interactive effects of nutrient classes on longevity, reproduction, and diet consumption in the Queensland fruit fly (Bactrocera tryoni). J Insect Physiol. 2012;58:327-34 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a need for caution when interpreting effects of dietary yeast as effects of protein. ..
- Suryo Rahmanto A, Davies M. Catalytic activity of selenomethionine in removing amino acid, peptide, and protein hydroperoxides. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;51:2288-99 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings demonstrate that SeMet may play an important role in the catalytic removal of damaging peptide and protein oxidation products. ..
- Fanson B, Taylor P. Protein:carbohydrate ratios explain life span patterns found in Queensland fruit fly on diets varying in yeast:sugar ratios. Age (Dordr). 2012;34:1361-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, Q-flies adjusted their diet intake in response to P:C ratios and diet concentration. Our results substantiate recent claims that P:C ratios significantly modulate life span in flies. ..
- Ho Y, Abecasis A, Theys K, Deforche K, Dwyer D, Charleston M, et al. HIV-1 gp120 N-linked glycosylation differs between plasma and leukocyte compartments. Virol J. 2008;5:14 pubmed publisher..These findings could also have relevance in shielding and evasion of HIV-1 from neutralizing antibodies. ..
- Lee H, Mun H, Lewis N, Crouch M, Culverston E, Mason R, et al. Allosteric activation of the extracellular Ca2+-sensing receptor by L-amino acids enhances ERK1/2 phosphorylation. Biochem J. 2007;404:141-9 pubmed
- Stack C, Lowther J, Cunningham E, Donnelly S, Gardiner D, Trenholme K, et al. Characterization of the Plasmodium falciparum M17 leucyl aminopeptidase. A protease involved in amino acid regulation with potential for antimalarial drug development. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:2069-80 pubmed..Availability of functionally active recombinant PfLAP, coupled with a simple enzymatic readout, will aid medicinal chemistry and/or high throughput approaches for the future design/discovery of new antimalarial drugs. ..
- Biagini G, Yarlett N, Ball G, Billetz A, Lindmark D, Martinez M, et al. Bacterial-like energy metabolism in the amitochondriate protozoon Hexamita inflata. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2003;128:11-9 pubmed..This study also indicates that, as with other amitochondriate protozoa and some bacteria, the ADH pathway significantly contributes to the energy yield of the cell, particularly under O(2)-limited conditions...
- Carpenter K, Wiley V. Application of tandem mass spectrometry to biochemical genetics and newborn screening. Clin Chim Acta. 2002;322:1-10 pubmed..This review covers some of the basic theory of MS/MS and focuses on the practical application of the technique in these two interrelated areas. ..
- Warren C. Post-uptake metabolism affects quantification of amino acid uptake. New Phytol. 2012;193:522-31 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, post-uptake metabolism and transport could be minimized by harvesting plants within minutes of isotope addition...
- Jaratlerdsiri W, Rodríguez Zárate C, Isberg S, Damayanti C, Miles L, Chansue N, et al. Distribution of endogenous retroviruses in crocodilians. J Virol. 2009;83:10305-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, CERV 1 was found only in crocodiles (Crocodylidae). The data generated here could assist future studies aimed at identifying orthologous and paralogous ERVs among crocodilians...
- Rodgers K, Shiozawa N. Misincorporation of amino acid analogues into proteins by biosynthesis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:1452-66 pubmed publisher..We confine the review to studies in which the synthetic machinery of cell has not been modified to accept non-protein amino acids. ..
- Yan W, Armishaw C, Goyette J, Yang Z, Cai H, Alewood P, et al. Mast cell and monocyte recruitment by S100A12 and its hinge domain. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:13035-43 pubmed publisher..Interaction is unlikely to occur via the receptor for advanced glycation end products but, rather, via a G-protein-coupled mechanism. ..
- Huang M, Sivagurunathan S, Ting S, Jansson P, Austin C, Kelly M, et al. Molecular and functional alterations in a mouse cardiac model of Friedreich ataxia: activation of the integrated stress response, eIF2? phosphorylation, and the induction of downstream targets. Am J Pathol. 2013;183:745-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, the pathogenesis of cardiomyopathy in FA correlates with the early and persistent eIF2? phosphorylation, which precedes activation of autophagy and apoptosis. ..
- Maroulis S, Schofield P, Edwards M. Osmoregulation in the parasitic protozoan Tritrichomonas foetus. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:4527-33 pubmed..However, inhibitors of Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) cotransport in other systems, such as quinine, ouabain, furosemide, and bumetanide, had no effect on the RVI or K(+) influx in T. foetus...
- Piper M, Soultoukis G, Blanc E, Mesaros A, Herbert S, Juricic P, et al. Matching Dietary Amino Acid Balance to the In Silico-Translated Exome Optimizes Growth and Reproduction without Cost to Lifespan. Cell Metab. 2017;25:610-621 pubmed publisher..Exome matching also enhanced mouse growth, indicating that it can be applied to other organisms whose genome sequence is known. ..