Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on type 2 diabetes mellitus in Victoria, Australia
Locale: Victoria, Australia
Topic: type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Aston Mourney K, Proietto J, Andrikopoulos S. Investigational agents that protect pancreatic islet beta-cells from failure. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2005;14:1241-50 pubmed..Evidence will also be presented that the future of drug therapy designed to prevent beta-cell failure should target the formation of advanced glycation end products and alleviate oxidative and endoplasmic reticulum stress. ..
- Chen M, McAinch A, Macaulay S, Castelli L, O Brien P, Dixon J, et al. Impaired activation of AMP-kinase and fatty acid oxidation by globular adiponectin in cultured human skeletal muscle of obese type 2 diabetics. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:3665-72 pubmed..These data suggest that reduced activation of AMPK by gAD in obese and obese type 2 diabetic subjects is not caused by reduced adiponectin receptor expression but that aspects downstream of the receptor may inhibit AMPK signaling. ..
- Kebede M, Favaloro J, Gunton J, Laybutt D, Shaw M, Wong N, et al. Fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase overexpression in pancreatic beta-cells results in reduced insulin secretion: a new mechanism for fat-induced impairment of beta-cell function. Diabetes. 2008;57:1887-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that upregulation of FBPase in pancreatic islet beta-cells, as occurs in states of lipid oversupply and type 2 diabetes, contributes to insulin secretory dysfunction. ..
- Bolton K, Segal D, McMillan J, Jowett J, Heilbronn L, Abberton K, et al. Decorin is a secreted protein associated with obesity and type 2 diabetes. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008;32:1113-21 pubmed publisher..027 and P=0.001, respectively). Decorin expression in adipose tissue was markedly upregulated in the obese state and may therefore play a role in adipose tissue homeostasis or in pathophysiology associated with obesity. ..
- Bozaoglu K, Segal D, Shields K, Cummings N, Curran J, Comuzzie A, et al. Chemerin is associated with metabolic syndrome phenotypes in a Mexican-American population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:3085-8 pubmed publisher..This replicated result using a large human sample suggests that chemerin may be involved in the development of the metabolic syndrome. ..
- Walder K, Kantham L, McMillan J, Trevaskis J, Kerr L, de Silva A, et al. Tanis: a link between type 2 diabetes and inflammation?. Diabetes. 2002;51:1859-66 pubmed
- Naemiratch B, Manderson L. 'Normal, but...': living with type 2 diabetes in Bangkok, Thailand. Chronic Illn. 2008;4:188-98 pubmed publisher..The sustained idea of the normality of the embodied and socially embedded self implied that the disease was under control, ensuring its minimal intrusion into social relationships and practical living. ..
- Lappas M, Yee K, Permezel M, Rice G. Sulfasalazine and BAY 11-7082 interfere with the nuclear factor-kappa B and I kappa B kinase pathway to regulate the release of proinflammatory cytokines from human adipose tissue and skeletal muscle in vitro. Endocrinology. 2005;146:1491-7 pubmed..Control of the IKK-beta/NF-kappa B pathway may therefore provide an alternative therapeutic strategy for regulating aberrant cytokine release and thereby alleviating insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Campbell D, Kladis A, Zhang Y, Jenkins A, Prior D, Yii M, et al. Increased tissue kallikrein levels in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2010;53:779-85 pubmed..However, our findings do not support a role for the kallikrein-kinin system in mediating the effects of statin therapy on endothelial function. ..