Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Queensland, Australia
Locale: Queensland, Australia
Publications457 found, 100 shown here
- Zhu M, Collins M, Robert Iskander D. Microfluctuations of wavefront aberrations of the eye. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2004;24:562-71 pubmed..Higher order aberrations appear to be related to the cardiopulmonary system in a similar way to that reported for the accommodation signal and pupil fluctuations. ..
- Kavanagh J, Morrison S, Barrett R. Lumbar and cervical erector spinae fatigue elicit compensatory postural responses to assist in maintaining head stability during walking. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;101:1118-26 pubmed..A compensatory postural response was not only elicited in the sagittal plane, where greater segmental attenuation occurred, but also in the frontal plane, where greater segmental gain occurred. ..
- Eglezos S, Huang B, Stuttard E. A survey of the bacteriological quality of preroasted peanut, almond, cashew, hazelnut, and brazil nut kernels received into three Australian nut-processing facilities over a period of 3 years. J Food Prot. 2008;71:402-4 pubmed..The bacteriological quality of preroasted peanut, almond, cashew, hazelnut, and Brazil nut kernels received into nut-processing facilities in Australia does not appear to suggest a public health concern...
- Cleghorn G. The role of basic nutritional research in pediatric liver disease: An historical perspective. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24 Suppl 3:S93-6 pubmed publisher..We have proposed that immediately ingested nutrients are a more important source of energy in patients with ESLD than in healthy children, among whom energy may be stored in various body compartments. ..
- McMillan D, Bessen D, Pinho M, Ford C, HALL G, Melo Cristino J, et al. Population genetics of Streptococcus dysgalactiae subspecies equisimilis reveals widely dispersed clones and extensive recombination. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11741 pubmed publisher..To gain a better understanding of their molecular epidemiology and evolutionary relationships, multilocus sequence typing (MLST) analysis was performed on SDSE isolates collected from Australia, Europe and North America...
- Ó Cuív P, Aguirre de Carcer D, Jones M, Klaassens E, Worthley D, Whitehall V, et al. The effects from DNA extraction methods on the evaluation of microbial diversity associated with human colonic tissue. Microb Ecol. 2011;61:353-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, DNA archived in biobanks could be suitable for retrospective profiling analyses, provided the caveats with respect to the DNA extraction method(s) used are taken into account. ..
- Johnson N, Malamud D, Reznik D, Speicher D, Phelan J. Mucosal fluids and biomarkers of clinical disease: workshop 3B. Adv Dent Res. 2011;23:137-41 pubmed publisher..Challenges to their uptake require well-designed studies on their practical reliability and utility, with appropriate controls. A range of ethical, social, and political issues need to be addressed in such studies. ..
- Chaw S, Abdul Majeed A, Dalley A, Chan A, Stein S, Farah C. Epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) biomarkers--E-cadherin, beta-catenin, APC and Vimentin--in oral squamous cell carcinogenesis and transformation. Oral Oncol. 2012;48:997-1006 pubmed publisher..Aberrant expression of Î²-catenin, APC and Vimentin are potential markers of malignant transformation. ..
- Willer C, Schmidt E, Sengupta S, Peloso G, Gustafsson S, Kanoni S, et al. Discovery and refinement of loci associated with lipid levels. Nat Genet. 2013;45:1274-1283 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the value of using genetic data from individuals of diverse ancestry and provide insights into the biological mechanisms regulating blood lipids to guide future genetic, biological and therapeutic research...
- Williamson A, Brindley P, Abbenante G, Datu B, Prociv P, Berry C, et al. Hookworm aspartic protease, Na-APR-2, cleaves human hemoglobin and serum proteins in a host-specific fashion. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:484-94 pubmed..americanus cathepsin D, Na-APR-1. Antiserum against Na-APR-2 inhibited migration of 50% of third-stage N. americanus larvae through skin, which suggests that aspartic proteases might be effective vaccines against human hookworm disease...
- Poulsen M. Merkel-cell carcinoma of the skin. Lancet Oncol. 2004;5:593-9 pubmed..The treatment challenges for the clinician are often enormous because many of the patients are elderly and because lesions occur in difficult sites such as the head and neck region and the lower leg. ..
- Greer J, Pender M. The presence of glutamic acid at positions 71 or 74 in pocket 4 of the HLA-DRbeta1 chain is associated with the clinical course of multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005;76:656-62 pubmed..Residues at these positions are important in the formation of pocket 4 in the antigen binding site of the HLA-DR molecule...
- Sullivan T, Whitehead K, Williamson R, Grimes D, Schlect D, Brown I, et al. Lymphoproliferative disease of the ocular adnexa: a clinical and pathologic study with statistical analysis of 69 patients. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;21:177-88 pubmed..In this study, distant spread of lymphoma was lower in patients who received greater than 20 Gy of orbital radiotherapy. ..
- Cripps A, Peek K, Dunkley M, Vento K, Marjason J, McIntyre M, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of an oral inactivated whole-cell pseudomonas aeruginosa vaccine administered to healthy human subjects. Infect Immun. 2006;74:968-74 pubmed..aeruginosa. ..
- Ku J, Campbell C, Bennett I. Leiomyoma of the nipple. Breast J. 2006;12:377-80 pubmed..Clinicians should be aware that this is a rare, but potential cause of chronic persistent pain and swelling in the region of the nipple-areola complex of the breast. ..
- Saunus J, French J, Edwards S, Beveridge D, Hatchell E, Wagner S, et al. Posttranscriptional regulation of the breast cancer susceptibility gene BRCA1 by the RNA binding protein HuR. Cancer Res. 2008;68:9469-78 pubmed publisher..These results identify the first posttranscriptional protein regulator of BRCA1 and have implications for understanding BRCA1 regulation in human breast cancer. ..
- Vesey D, Qi W, Chen X, Pollock C, Johnson D. Isolation and primary culture of human proximal tubule cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;466:19-24 pubmed publisher..Cultured in a hormonally defined serum-free growth media, they form a tightly packed monolayer that retains the differentiated characteristics of PTC for up to three passages. ..
- Baumann F, Henderson R, Morrison S, Brown M, Hutchinson N, Douglas J, et al. Use of respiratory function tests to predict survival in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2010;11:194-202 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that respiratory function measurements are useful to predict survival in ALS patients. We show that measurements of FVC in the supine position are worth including in the assessment of respiratory function in ALS. ..
- Lau Q, Scheithauer B, Kovacs K, Horvath E, Syro L, Lloyd R. MGMT immunoexpression in aggressive pituitary adenoma and carcinoma. Pituitary. 2010;13:367-79 pubmed publisher..In an effort to anticipate the likelihood of a temozolomide response, all cases of aggressive pituitary tumors should be assessed for MGMT expression. ..
- Kaminen Ahola N, Ahola A, Flatscher Bader T, Wilkins S, Anderson G, Whitelaw E, et al. Postnatal growth restriction and gene expression changes in a mouse model of fetal alcohol syndrome. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2010;88:818-26 pubmed publisher..Genome-wide gene expression analysis revealed interesting ethanol-induced changes in the liver, including genes involved in the metabolism of exogenous and endogenous compounds, iron homeostasis, and lipid metabolism. ..
- Wang Z, Ma J, Dong B, Song Y, Hu P, Zhang B. Comparison of blood pressure levels among four age groups of Chinese children matched by height. J Hum Hypertens. 2012;26:437-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings, if confirmed in children of other ages, suggest that blood pressure percentile charts can be considerably simplified by establishing normal percentiles according to height alone for each gender. ..
- Davis R, Duffy S, Fletcher S, Avery V, Quinn R. Thiaplakortones A-D: antimalarial thiazine alkaloids from the Australian marine sponge Plakortis lita. J Org Chem. 2013;78:9608-13 pubmed publisher..9 ?M). Thiaplakortone A (1) was the most active natural product, with IC50 values of 51 and 6.6 nM against 3D7 and Dd2 lines, respectively. ..
- Yi B, Nichiporuk I, Nicolas M, Schneider S, Feuerecker M, Vassilieva G, et al. Reductions in circulating endocannabinoid 2-arachidonoylglycerol levels in healthy human subjects exposed to chronic stressors. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2016;67:92-7 pubmed publisher..001), suggesting that dysregulation of 2-AG signaling might be specifically implicated in the response to chronic stressors. ..
- Eslam M, McLeod D, Kelaeng K, Mangia A, Berg T, Thabet K, et al. IFN-Î»3, not IFN-Î»4, likely mediates IFNL3-IFNL4 haplotype-dependent hepatic inflammation and fibrosis. Nat Genet. 2017;49:795-800 pubmed publisher..IFN-Î»3 rather than IFN-Î»4 likely mediates IFNL3-IFNL4 haplotype-dependent hepatic inflammation and fibrosis. ..
- Gavagan C, Sayers M. A biomechanical analysis of the roundhouse kicking technique of expert practitioners: A comparison between the martial arts disciplines of Muay Thai, Karate, and Taekwondo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182645 pubmed publisher..Effective roundhouse kicking performance was characterized by rapid pelvic axial rotation, hip abduction, hip flexion and knee extension velocities, combined with rapid movements of the COM towards the target. ..
- Farrell D, Daggard G, Mukkur T. Nested duplex PCR to detect Bordetella pertussis and Bordetella parapertussis and its application in diagnosis of pertussis in nonmetropolitan Southeast Queensland, Australia. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:606-10 pubmed..8%) throat swabs positive by culture, indicating that a reassessment of the use of throat swabs should be considered, particularly for older patients, in contact tracing, and in situations in which specimen collection is difficult. ..
- Nash C, Mickan S, Del Mar C, Glasziou P. Resting injured limbs delays recovery: a systematic review. J Fam Pract. 2004;53:706-12 pubmed..We should not assume any benefit for immobilization after acute upper or lower limb injuries in adults. Rest appears to be overused as a treatment. More trials are needed to identify optimal programs for early mobilization. ..
- Brown L. Resistance to ocular antibiotics: an overview. Clin Exp Optom. 2007;90:258-62 pubmed..All health-care professionals should be concerned about this possibility and continue to use these important compounds with respect. ..
- Goire N, Nissen M, LeCornec G, Sloots T, Whiley D. A duplex Neisseria gonorrhoeae real-time polymerase chain reaction assay targeting the gonococcal porA pseudogene and multicopy opa genes. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008;61:6-12 pubmed publisher..In addition, the 2-target system of the NGduplex assay decreases the potential for sequence-related false-negative results and can provide simultaneous confirmation of positive results. ..
- Esler D, Ooi C, Merritt T. Sexual health care for sex workers. Aust Fam Physician. 2008;37:590-2 pubmed..It provides the impetus for future research, education and strategies to improve health service delivery to this important group of patients. ..
- Chapman Kiddell C, Davies P, Gillen L, Radford Smith G. Role of diet in the development of inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010;16:137-51 pubmed publisher..Particular attention is focused on methodological issues including suitability of cases and controls, confounders such as smoking, and total energy expenditure. ..
- Traub R, Inpankaew T, Reid S, Sutthikornchai C, Sukthana Y, Robertson I, et al. Transmission cycles of Giardia duodenalis in dogs and humans in Temple communities in Bangkok--a critical evaluation of its prevalence using three diagnostic tests in the field in the absence of a gold standard. Acta Trop. 2009;111:125-32 pubmed publisher..duodenalis were shown to be operating among the human and canine populations in these Temple communities in Bangkok, supporting the role of the dog as a potential reservoir for Giardia infections in humans. ..
- Christ A, Labzin L, Bourne G, Fukunishi H, Weber J, Sweet M, et al. Development and characterization of new inhibitors of the human and mouse hematopoietic prostaglandin D(2) synthases. J Med Chem. 2010;53:5536-48 pubmed publisher..Compound 34 therefore represents a selective hematopoietic prostaglandin D(2) synthase inhibitor. ..
- Abraham M, Van der Westhuyzen J, Khanna V. Arginine extravasation leading to skin necrosis. J Paediatr Child Health. 2012;48:E96-7 pubmed publisher..We want to highlight the need for good intravenous access and monitoring the drip site to prevent extravasation injuries that can be caused by arginine, which is a hyperosmolar solution. ..
- Rowland S, Smith C, Gillam E, Wright T. The concept lens diagram: a new mechanism for presenting biochemistry content in terms of "big ideas". Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2011;39:267-79 pubmed publisher..This method is applicable to the full spectrum of content usually taught in biochemistry. ..
- Partridge B, Bell S, Lucke J, Yeates S, Hall W. Smart drugs "as common as coffee": media hype about neuroenhancement. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28416 pubmed publisher..We urge journalists and researchers to be cautious in their portrayal of the non-medical use of drugs for neuroenhancement. ..
- Frith J, Mills R, Hudson J, Cooper White J. Tailored integrin-extracellular matrix interactions to direct human mesenchymal stem cell differentiation. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:2442-56 pubmed publisher..This platform also provides information for the development of biomaterials capable of directing hMSC differentiation for use in tissue engineering therapies. ..
- Spearing N, Connelly L, Gargett S, Sterling M. Does injury compensation lead to worse health after whiplash? A systematic review. Pain. 2012;153:1274-82 pubmed publisher..Consequently, there is no clear evidence to support the idea that compensation and its related processes lead to worse health. ..
- Hill R, Davies P. You look all right to me: compromised nutritional status in paediatric patients with ulcerative colitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013;56:385-9 pubmed publisher..The present study aims to investigate BMI in patients with UC in relation to their BCM...
- Kassianos A, Wang X, Sampangi S, MUCZYNSKI K, Healy H, Wilkinson R. Increased tubulointerstitial recruitment of human CD141(hi) CLEC9A(+) and CD1c(+) myeloid dendritic cell subsets in renal fibrosis and chronic kidney disease. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;305:F1391-401 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that activated mDC subsets, likely recruited into the tubulointerstitium, are positioned to play a role in the development of fibrosis and, thus, progression to chronic kidney disease. ..
- Goh L, Hobson Peters J, Prow N, Gardner J, Bielefeldt Ohmann H, Pyke A, et al. Neutralizing monoclonal antibodies to the E2 protein of chikungunya virus protects against disease in a mouse model. Clin Immunol. 2013;149:487-97 pubmed publisher..Given the current shortage of widely available reagents for CHIKV, these specific antibodies will be useful not only in research, but may also provide the basis for new diagnostics and treatments. ..
- Douglas C, Haydon D, Wollin J. Supporting Staff to Identify Residents in Pain: A Controlled Pretest-Posttest Study in Residential Aged Care. Pain Manag Nurs. 2016;17:25-37 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, our findings confirm the need for change and importance of translational pain research in RACFs. ..
- Mackay S, White K, Obst P. Sign and Share: What Influences Our Participation in Online Microvolunteering. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2016;19:257-63 pubmed publisher..Intention predicted behavior. The findings suggest an important role for attitudes and moral considerations in understanding what influences this increasingly popular form of online activity. ..
- Johnatty S, Tan Y, Buchanan D, Bowman M, Walters R, Obermair A, et al. Family history of cancer predicts endometrial cancer risk independently of Lynch Syndrome: Implications for genetic counselling. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;147:381-387 pubmed publisher..Associations remained significant irrespective of proband MMR status, and after excluding MMR pathogenic variant carriers, indicating that Lynch syndrome genes do not fully explain familial EC risk. ..
- Wyder M, Ward P, De Leo D. Separation as a suicide risk factor. J Affect Disord. 2009;116:208-13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, particularly in younger males, separation appears to be strongly associated with the risk of suicide. ..
- Sterling G, Wilson A. Chondroblastoma of the talus: a case report. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2002;41:178-82 pubmed..The patient underwent an uneventful recovery, and was asymptomatic at follow-up 24 months postsurgery. He had 75% movement at the subtalar joint, when compared with the contralateral foot...
- Engwerda C, Belnoue E, Grüner A, Renia L. Experimental models of cerebral malaria. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2005;297:103-43 pubmed..As our understanding of pathogenic responses to Plasmodium parasites gathers momentum, the chance of a breakthrough in the development of treatments and vaccines to prevent death from cerebral malaria have become more realistic...
- Kijas A, Harris J, Harris J, Lavin M. Aprataxin forms a discrete branch in the HIT (histidine triad) superfamily of proteins with both DNA/RNA binding and nucleotide hydrolase activities. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13939-48 pubmed
- Morris N, Snyder E, Beck K, Haseler L, Olson L, Johnson B. The relationship between resting lung-to-lung circulation time and peak exercise capacity in chronic heart failure patients. J Card Fail. 2007;13:389-94 pubmed..923-0.045 (LLCT); r2 = 54%. These results suggest that resting LLCT determined using the soluble inert gas technique represents a simple, noninvasive method that provides additional information regarding exercise capacity in CHF. ..
- Glanfield A, McManus D, Anderson G, Jones M. Pumping iron: a potential target for novel therapeutics against schistosomes. Trends Parasitol. 2007;23:583-8 pubmed..Elucidation of these metabolic mechanisms could lead to the development of new interventions for the control of schistosomiasis and other helminth diseases. ..
- Endo Munoz L, Dahler A, Teakle N, Rickwood D, Hazar Rethinam M, Abdul Jabbar I, et al. E2F7 can regulate proliferation, differentiation, and apoptotic responses in human keratinocytes: implications for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma formation. Cancer Res. 2009;69:1800-8 pubmed publisher..Combined, these data suggest that the selected disruption of E2F1 and E2F7 in keratinocytes is likely to contribute to CSCC formation and may prove to be a viable therapeutic target. ..
- Frances S, Mackenzie D, Klun J, Debboun M. Laboratory and field evaluation of SS220 and deet against mosquitoes in Queensland, Australia. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2009;25:174-8 pubmed..Seven hours after application, SS220 provided greater than 96.0% protection against all mosquitoes, whereas 20% deet provided 58.9% protection...
- Pattabiraman D, Sun J, Dowhan D, Ishii S, Gonda T. Mutations in multiple domains of c-Myb disrupt interaction with CBP/p300 and abrogate myeloid transforming ability. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:1477-86 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that multiple Myb domains influence its interaction with CBP/p300, highlight the importance of this interaction for myeloid transformation, and suggest an approach for molecular targeting of Myb in leukemia. ..
- Margaret M, Jennene G, Madsen W, Godden J. Generating ideas for the teaching of nursing's history in Australia. Collegian. 2010;17:13-22 pubmed
- Lai J, Lehman M, Dinger M, Hendy S, Mercer T, Seim I, et al. A variant of the KLK4 gene is expressed as a cis sense-antisense chimeric transcript in prostate cancer cells. RNA. 2010;16:1156-66 pubmed publisher..In this study, we have shown complex gene expression at the KLK4 locus that might be a hallmark of cis sense-antisense chimeric transcription. ..
- Henderson S, Kendall E, See L. The effectiveness of culturally appropriate interventions to manage or prevent chronic disease in culturally and linguistically diverse communities: a systematic literature review. Health Soc Care Community. 2011;19:225-49 pubmed publisher..The review supported the use of trained bi-lingual health workers, who are culturally competent, as a major consideration in the development of an appropriate health service model for CALD communities. ..
- Gardiner R, Gwynne R, Roberts S. Perinephric abscess. BJU Int. 2011;107 Suppl 3:20-3 pubmed publisher..The clinical characteristics and contemporary treatment approaches of these different types of perinephric abscess are outlined in this overview of the topic...
- Ghai R, Mobli M, Norwood S, Bugarcic A, Teasdale R, King G, et al. Phox homology band 4.1/ezrin/radixin/moesin-like proteins function as molecular scaffolds that interact with cargo receptors and Ras GTPases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7763-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, this work defines a novel family of proteins that participate in a network of interactions that will impact on both endosomal protein trafficking and compartment specific Ras signaling cascades. ..
- Morris J, Chiche J, Grellier C, Lopez M, Bornaghi L, Maresca A, et al. Targeting hypoxic tumor cell viability with carbohydrate-based carbonic anhydrase IX and XII inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2011;54:6905-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings identified two inhibitors (compounds 5 and 17) that block CA IX-induced survival and have potential for development as in vivo cancer cell selective inhibitors. ..
- Bastian B, Loughnan S, Haslam N, Radke H. Don't mind meat? The denial of mind to animals used for human consumption. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2012;38:247-56 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this mind denial in turn reduces negative affect associated with dissonance. The findings highlight the role of dissonance reduction in facilitating the practice of meat eating and protecting cultural commitments. ..
- Duell B, Carey A, Tan C, Cui X, Webb R, Totsika M, et al. Innate transcriptional networks activated in bladder in response to uropathogenic Escherichia coli drive diverse biological pathways and rapid synthesis of IL-10 for defense against bacterial urinary tract infection. J Immunol. 2012;188:781-92 pubmed publisher..Identification of protective roles for other elements in the transcriptome will provide critical new insight into the complex cascade of events that underpin UTI...
- Barrett H, Gatford K, Houda C, De Blasio M, McIntyre H, Callaway L, et al. Maternal and neonatal circulating markers of metabolic and cardiovascular risk in the metformin in gestational diabetes (MiG) trial: responses to maternal metformin versus insulin treatment. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:529-36 pubmed publisher
- Twyman L, Bonevski B, Paul C, Bryant J, Gartner C, Guillaumier A. Electronic Cigarettes: Awareness, Recent Use, and Attitudes Within a Sample of Socioeconomically Disadvantaged Australian Smokers. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016;18:670-7 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that socioeconomically disadvantaged smokers are aware of and accessing e-cigarettes in a country with relatively high restrictions covering e-cigarette sale and use. ..
- Yates D, Savage M, Walters D, Raffel O. Retrospective Study of First-Generation Drug-Eluting Stents, Second-Generation Drug-Eluting Stents and Non-Drug Eluting Stent Methods in the Treatment of Native Vessel In-Stent Restenosis in Real-World Clinical Practice. Heart Lung Circ. 2016;25:342-51 pubmed publisher..9%, 0%, 5.6%; p=0.018; TLR: 21.4%, 3.1%, 7.4%; p=0.041). First-generation DES may be superior to second-generation DES and non-DES in treating BMS or DES ISR with regard to overall adverse cardiac events. ..
- Sendall M, Stoneham M, Crane P, Fleming M, Janda M, Tenkate T, et al. Outdoor workers and sun protection strategies: two case study examples in Queensland, Australia. Rural Remote Health. 2016;16:3558 pubmed..There are several recommendations from this article. Workplace health promotion strategies for sun safety need to be contextualised to individual workplaces to take advantage of the strengths of the workplace and to build capacity. ..
- Muthukaruppan A, Lasham A, Blenkiron C, Woad K, Black M, Knowlton N, et al. Gene expression profiling of breast tumours from New Zealand patients. N Z Med J. 2017;130:40-56 pubmed
- Cheung B, Holmes R, Easteal S, Beacham I. Evolution of class I alcohol dehydrogenase genes in catarrhine primates: gene conversion, substitution rates, and gene regulation. Mol Biol Evol. 1999;16:23-36 pubmed publisher..This variation may explain the different patterns of gene expression in humans and baboons...
- Stowasser M, Gunasekera T, Gordon R. Familial varieties of primary aldosteronism. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2001;28:1087-90 pubmed..As has already occurred in FH-I, elucidation of causative mutations is likely to facilitate earlier detection of PAL. ..
- Bianco J, Perry C, Harkin D, Mackay Sim A, Feron F. Neurotrophin 3 promotes purification and proliferation of olfactory ensheathing cells from human nose. Glia. 2004;45:111-23 pubmed..This technique opens the door for clinical trials in which nasal ensheathing cells will be autotransplanted in humans suffering from nerve injury. ..
- Chou C, Timms A, Wei J, Tsai W, Wordsworth B, Brown M. Replication of association of IL1 gene complex members with ankylosing spondylitis in Taiwanese Chinese. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006;65:1106-9 pubmed..This finding provides strong statistical support that the previously observed association of this gene cluster with AS is a true positive finding. These authors contributed equally to the study. ..
- Bain P, Shaw G, Patel B. Induction of p53-regulated gene expression in human cell lines exposed to the cyanobacterial toxin cylindrospermopsin. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2007;70:1687-93 pubmed..Accumulation of p53 protein occurred after longer exposures in the HepG2-derived cell line C3A. Data suggest that cylindrospermopsin induces stress responses that result in the activation of the p53 transcription factor. ..
- Sloots T, Whiley D, Lambert S, Nissen M. Emerging respiratory agents: new viruses for old diseases?. J Clin Virol. 2008;42:233-43 pubmed publisher..We review the new viral agents that have been detected in respiratory samples since 2001, and examine their contribution as agents of human disease. ..
- Mitchell D, Minchin R. E. coli nitroreductase/CB1954 gene-directed enzyme prodrug therapy: role of arylamine N-acetlytransferase 2. Cancer Gene Ther. 2008;15:758-64 pubmed publisher..Moreover, endogenous NAT2, which is localized predominantly in the liver and gut, may be involved in the dose-limiting hepatic toxicity and gastrointestinal side effects seen in patients treated with the higher doses of CB1954. ..
- Bogossian F, Kellett S, Mason B. The use of tablet PCs to access an electronic portfolio in the clinical setting: a pilot study using undergraduate nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29:246-53 pubmed publisher..Tablet PCs offer advantages related to and beyond portfolio use in the clinical setting. ..
- Lindsay N, Healy G, Colditz P, Lingwood B. Use of the Ages and Stages Questionnaire to predict outcome after hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy in the neonate. J Paediatr Child Health. 2008;44:590-5 pubmed publisher..Its capacity to identify those with milder delay is limited. The ability of the test to detect only those with severe developmental delay means that the ASQ is of little value as a screening tool in this population. ..
- Efron N, Al Dossari M, Pritchard N. In vivo confocal microscopy of the palpebral conjunctiva and tarsal plate. Optom Vis Sci. 2009;86:E1303-8 pubmed publisher..The aim of this work is to develop a more complete understanding of the in vivo histology of the human palpebral conjunctiva and tarsal plate...
- Izatt M, Adam C, Labrom R, Askin G. The relationship between deformity correction and clinical outcomes after thoracoscopic scoliosis surgery: a prospective series of one hundred patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35:E1577-85 pubmed publisher..Postoperative major Cobb angle is a significant predictor of patient satisfaction when comparing subgroups of patients with the highest and lowest postoperative Cobb angles. ..
- Lazarus S, Pretorius C, Khafagi F, Campion K, Brennan S, Conigrave A, et al. A novel mutation of the primary protein kinase C phosphorylation site in the calcium-sensing receptor causes autosomal dominant hypocalcemia. Eur J Endocrinol. 2011;164:429-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, CASR(T888) represents a functionally important, inhibitory phosphorylation site that contributes to the control of PTH secretion. ..
- Poropat A. The Eysenckian personality factors and their correlations with academic performance. Br J Educ Psychol. 2011;81:41-58 pubmed publisher..In particular, the measurement and validity problems of Psychoticism mean its continued use in academic settings is unjustified. ..