Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in Victoria, Australia
Locale: Victoria, Australia
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
- Yeap H, Mee P, Walker T, Weeks A, O Neill S, Johnson P, et al. Dynamics of the "popcorn" Wolbachia infection in outbred Aedes aegypti informs prospects for mosquito vector control. Genetics. 2011;187:583-95 pubmed publisher..The results were used to assess the potential for wMelPop-CLA to invade natural populations of Ae. aegypti and to develop recommendations for the maintenance of fitness in infected mosquitoes that need to compete against field insects. ..
- Burke R, Commons E, Camakaris J. Expression and localisation of the essential copper transporter DmATP7 in Drosophila neuronal and intestinal tissues. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:1850-60 pubmed publisher..This fusion protein localises at or proximal to the basolateral membrane of DmATP7 expressing midgut cells supporting a role for DmATP7 in export of copper from midgut cells. ..
- Willoughby L, Batterham P, Daborn P. Piperonyl butoxide induces the expression of cytochrome P450 and glutathione S-transferase genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Pest Manag Sci. 2007;63:803-8 pubmed..The implications of the induction of gene families known to metabolise insecticides and the use of PBO in pest management programs are discussed. ..
- Oates A, Wollberg P, Achen M, Wilks A. Sampling the genomic pool of protein tyrosine kinase genes using the polymerase chain reaction with genomic DNA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;249:660-7 pubmed..Furthermore, as a tool to hasten the discovery of members of gene families that are of particular interest, this method offers an opportunity to sample the genome for new members irrespective of their expression pattern. ..
- Robin C, Daborn P, Hoffmann A. Fighting fly genes. Trends Genet. 2007;23:51-4 pubmed..Here, we describe the study of aggressive behaviour in flies and explore the possibility that cytochrome P450 is involved in aggression. ..
- Bunt S, Hime G. Ectopic activation of Dpp signalling in the male Drosophila germline inhibits germ cell differentiation. Genesis. 2004;39:84-93 pubmed..A third cell population that expressed stem cell markers was seen to proliferate in the distal testis when Dpp signalling was either stimulated or repressed in germline stem cells. ..
- Umina P, Hoffmann A, Weeks A, McKechnie S. An independent non-linear latitudinal cline for the sn-glycerol-3-phosphate (alpha- Gpdh ) polymorphism of Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Genet Res. 2006;87:13-21 pubmed..These results suggest clinal selection at the alpha-Gpdh locus that is partially or wholly unrelated to linear climatic gradients along the eastern coast of Australia. ..
- Harvey K, Mattila J, Sofer A, Bennett F, Ramsey M, Ellisen L, et al. FOXO-regulated transcription restricts overgrowth of Tsc mutant organs. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:691-6 pubmed publisher..Analogous transcriptional changes are observed in mammalian cells, which implies that FOXO attenuates TOR-driven growth in diverse species. ..
- Andrews J, Smith M, Merakovsky J, Coulson M, Hannan F, Kelly L. The stoned locus of Drosophila melanogaster produces a dicistronic transcript and encodes two distinct polypeptides. Genetics. 1996;143:1699-711 pubmed..The protein encoded by the first ORF contains four tandemly repeated motifs, and one domain of the protein encoded by the second ORF shows similarity to a family of proteins (AP50s) associated with clathrin assembly protein complexes. ..
- Daborn P, Lumb C, Harrop T, Blasetti A, Pasricha S, Morin S, et al. Using Drosophila melanogaster to validate metabolism-based insecticide resistance from insect pests. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;42:918-24 pubmed publisher..Using D. melanogaster to assess the potential for novel metabolic resistance mechanisms to evolve in pest species is discussed. ..
- Willoughby L, Schlosser T, Manning S, Parisot J, Street I, Richardson H, et al. An in vivo large-scale chemical screening platform using Drosophila for anti-cancer drug discovery. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:521-9 pubmed publisher..The platform can also be adapted for use with other disease models, thus offering widespread applications in drug development. ..
- Dow L, Brumby A, Muratore R, Coombe M, Sedelies K, Trapani J, et al. hScrib is a functional homologue of the Drosophila tumour suppressor Scribble. Oncogene. 2003;22:9225-30 pubmed..These data demonstrate that hScrib is a functional homologue of DmScrib and therefore predict an important role for hScrib in the suppression of mammalian tumorigenesis. ..
- Kellett M, McKechnie S. A cluster of diagnostic Hsp68 amino acid sites that are identified in Drosophila from the melanogaster species group are concentrated around beta-sheet residues involved with substrate binding. Genome. 2005;48:226-33 pubmed publisher..Within montium subgroup species, 2 nearly identical hsp68 PCR products that differed in length are either different alleles or products of an ancestral hsp68 duplication...
- Grzeschik N, Parsons L, Allott M, Harvey K, Richardson H. Lgl, aPKC, and Crumbs regulate the Salvador/Warts/Hippo pathway through two distinct mechanisms. Curr Biol. 2010;20:573-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study implicates Lgl, aPKC, and Crumbs as regulators of tissue growth via the SWH pathway. ..
- Clay F, McEwen S, Bertoncello I, Wilks A, Dunn A. Identification and cloning of a protein kinase-encoding mouse gene, Plk, related to the polo gene of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:4882-6 pubmed..Since polo is required for mitosis in Drosophila it is possible that Plk is involved in some aspect of cell cycle regulation in mammalian cells. ..
- Zhang X, Milton C, Humbert P, Harvey K. Transcriptional output of the Salvador/warts/hippo pathway is controlled in distinct fashions in Drosophila melanogaster and mammalian cell lines. Cancer Res. 2009;69:6033-41 pubmed publisher..melanogaster and optimally activate Sd. This shows that Yki/YAP WW domains have distinct regulatory roles in different cell types and implies the existence of proteins that promote tissue growth in collaboration with Yki and Sd. ..
- Southon A, Farlow A, Norgate M, Burke R, Camakaris J. Malvolio is a copper transporter in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:709-16 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate Mvl is a functional Cu transporter and that despite partial functional redundancy with the Ctr1 proteins, Cu uptake through this pathway is necessary for optimal viability at the cellular and organismal levels. ..
- Zhang X, Milton C, Poon C, Hong W, Harvey K. Wbp2 cooperates with Yorkie to drive tissue growth downstream of the Salvador-Warts-Hippo pathway. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1346-55 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies define an important role for Wbp2 as a downstream component of the SWH tissue growth-control pathway. ..
- Southon A, Burke R, Norgate M, Batterham P, Camakaris J. Copper homoeostasis in Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells. Biochem J. 2004;383:303-9 pubmed..This work is consistent with previous studies in mammalian cells, validating S2 cells as a model system for studying Cu transport and identifying novel Cu regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Chung H, Boey A, Lumb C, Willoughby L, Batterham P, Daborn P. Induction of a detoxification gene in Drosophila melanogaster requires an interaction between tissue specific enhancers and a novel cis-regulatory element. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:863-71 pubmed publisher..Variations within this class of CREs may explain the variability of gene induction responses. ..
- Poon C, Lin J, Zhang X, Harvey K. The sterile 20-like kinase Tao-1 controls tissue growth by regulating the Salvador-Warts-Hippo pathway. Dev Cell. 2011;21:896-906 pubmed publisher..Given that SWH pathway activity is subverted in many human cancers, our findings identify human TAO kinases as potential tumor suppressor genes. ..
- Phillips A, Smith M, Ramaswami M, Kelly L. The products of the Drosophila stoned locus interact with synaptic vesicles via synaptotagmin. J Neurosci. 2000;20:8254-61 pubmed..However, STNB is not associated with all synaptic vesicles. We hypothesize that STNB specifies a subset of synaptic vesicles with a role in the synaptic vesicle cycle that is yet to be determined. ..
- Oates A, Brownlie A, Pratt S, Irvine D, Liao E, Paw B, et al. Gene duplication of zebrafish JAK2 homologs is accompanied by divergent embryonic expression patterns: only jak2a is expressed during erythropoiesis. Blood. 1999;94:2622-36 pubmed..Taken together with recent gene knockout data in the mouse, we suggest that jak2a may be functionally equivalent to mammalian Jak2, with a role in early erythropoiesis. ..