Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna binding proteins in Victoria, Australia
Locale: Victoria, Australia
Topic: dna binding proteins
- Yang J, Young M. The mineralocorticoid receptor and its coregulators. J Mol Endocrinol. 2009;43:53-64 pubmed publisher..Understanding the full complement of MR coregulators is essential for unraveling the complexity of MR signaling pathways and will facilitate the development of selective MR modulators. ..
- Chung J, Wilkie I, Boyce J, Townsend K, Frost A, Ghoddusi M, et al. Role of capsule in the pathogenesis of fowl cholera caused by Pasteurella multocida serogroup A. Infect Immun. 2001;69:2487-92 pubmed..The capsule is thus an essential virulence determinant in the pathogenesis of fowl cholera. ..
- McAinch A, Lee J, Bruce C, Tunstall R, Hawley J, Cameron Smith D. Dietary regulation of fat oxidative gene expression in different skeletal muscle fiber types. Obes Res. 2003;11:1471-9 pubmed..Despite changes in gene expression, there were no effects of diet on peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator and fork-head transcription factor O1 mRNA and the protein abundance of PPARalpha and PPARgamma. ..
- Stone J, Gurrin L, Byrnes G, Schroen C, Treloar S, Padilla E, et al. Mammographic density and candidate gene variants: a twins and sisters study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:1479-84 pubmed..We have replicated an association between a variant in the HSD3B1 gene and PMD, which suggests that HSD3B1 may be genetic determinant of mammographic density. ..
- Yang J, Hart E, Tauschek M, Price G, Hartland E, Strugnell R, et al. Bicarbonate-mediated transcriptional activation of divergent operons by the virulence regulatory protein, RegA, from Citrobacter rodentium. Mol Microbiol. 2008;68:314-27 pubmed publisher..This is the first report to describe the molecular mechanism by which an environmental chemical stimulates transcription of virulence-associated genes of an enteric pathogen through an AraC/XlyS-like activator...
- Bullen D, Baldwin T, Curtis J, Alexander W, Handman E. Persistence of lesions in suppressor of cytokine signaling-1-deficient mice infected with Leishmania major. J Immunol. 2003;170:4267-72 pubmed..These results suggest that SOCS1 plays an important role in the regulation of appropriate inflammatory responses during the resolution of L. major infection. ..
- Lewis R, Ward A. Conservation, duplication and divergence of the zebrafish stat5 genes. Gene. 2004;338:65-74 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that the ancestral Stat5 gene has undergone two independent gene duplication events to generate a stat5.2 paralogue in zebrafish and a Stat5a paralogue in mammals...
- Jenkins B, Quilici C, Roberts A, Grail D, Dunn A, Ernst M. Hematopoietic abnormalities in mice deficient in gp130-mediated STAT signaling. Exp Hematol. 2002;30:1248-56 pubmed
- Onnebo S, Condron M, McPhee D, Lieschke G, Ward A. Hematopoietic perturbation in zebrafish expressing a tel-jak2a fusion. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:182-8 pubmed..These results indicate that the zebrafish tel-jak2a oncoprotein is functional, and suggest that this organism will be useful for the experimental study of myeloid malignancy. ..
- Young M, Clyne C, Cole T, Funder J. Cardiac steroidogenesis in the normal and failing heart. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:5121-6 pubmed..The exact cellular location of steroid synthesis in the failing human heart remains to be established. ..
- McNees C, Conlan L, Tenis N, Heierhorst J. ASCIZ regulates lesion-specific Rad51 focus formation and apoptosis after methylating DNA damage. EMBO J. 2005;24:2447-57 pubmed..We propose that ASCIZ acts as a lesion-specific focus scaffold in a Rad51-dependent pathway that resolves cytotoxic repair intermediates, most likely single-stranded DNA gaps, resulting from MLH1-dependent processing of base lesions. ..
- Biben C, Harvey R. Homeodomain factor Nkx2-5 controls left/right asymmetric expression of bHLH gene eHand during murine heart development. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1357-69 pubmed..One aspect of the intrinsic response to L/R information falls under Nkx2-5 homeobox control. ..
- Tang C, Pietersz G. Intracellular detection and immune signaling pathways of DNA vaccines. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2009;8:1161-70 pubmed publisher..This review provides an update on the cellular detection and the subsequent signaling pathways mediated by DNA vaccines. ..
- Gough N, Lipkowitz S, Kirsch I, Begley C. Localization of murine HLH gene NSCL to chromosome 1 by use of recombinant inbred strains. Mamm Genome. 1992;3:182-3 pubmed
- Baglietto L, Lindor N, Dowty J, White D, Wagner A, Gomez Garcia E, et al. Risks of Lynch syndrome cancers for MSH6 mutation carriers. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:193-201 pubmed publisher..Germline mutations in MSH6 account for 10%-20% of Lynch syndrome colorectal cancers caused by hereditary DNA mismatch repair gene mutations. Because there have been only a few studies of mutation carriers, their cancer risks are uncertain...
- Olayioye M, Guthridge M, Stomski F, Lopez A, Visvader J, Lindeman G. Threonine 391 phosphorylation of the human prolactin receptor mediates a novel interaction with 14-3-3 proteins. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32929-35 pubmed..This was accompanied by a ligand-induced increase in protein kinase B and Erk activation but not that of Stat5a. Phosphorylation of the receptor on Thr391 may therefore provide a new mechanism by which prolactin signaling is attenuated. ..
- McGee S, Hargreaves M. Exercise and myocyte enhancer factor 2 regulation in human skeletal muscle. Diabetes. 2004;53:1208-14 pubmed..Finally, we found no role for NFAT in MEF-2 regulation. From these data, it appears that HDAC5, PGC-1, and p38 regulate MEF-2 and could be potential targets for modulating GLUT4 expression. ..
- Kn H, Bassal S, Tikellis C, El Osta A. Expression analysis of the epigenetic methyltransferases and methyl-CpG binding protein families in the normal B-cell and B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Cancer Biol Ther. 2004;3:989-94 pubmed..We envisage changes in the epigenetic program are multifactorial in nature and postulate that the prevalent genomic methylases just one component of a larger epigenetic repertoire. ..
- Dowty J, Lose F, Jenkins M, Chang J, Chen X, Beesley J, et al. The RAD51D E233G variant and breast cancer risk: population-based and clinic-based family studies of Australian women. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008;112:35-9 pubmed..Larger studies would be required to determine if this variant is associated with a smaller risk of breast cancer. ..
- Hogan B, Hunter M, Oates A, Crowhurst M, Hall N, Heath J, et al. Zebrafish gcm2 is required for gill filament budding from pharyngeal ectoderm. Dev Biol. 2004;276:508-22 pubmed..This study identifies yet another role for a GCM gene in embryonic development and indicates a role for gcm2 during the evolution of divergent pharyngeal morphologies. ..
- Harikrishnan K, Chow M, Baker E, Pal S, Bassal S, Brasacchio D, et al. Brahma links the SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex with MeCP2-dependent transcriptional silencing. Nat Genet. 2005;37:254-64 pubmed..We show that Brm and MeCP2 assembly on chromatin occurs on methylated genes in cancer and the gene FMR1 in fragile X syndrome. These experimental findings identify a new role for SWI/SNF in gene repression by MeCP2. ..
- Li H, Pinto A, Duan W, Li J, Toh B, Liu J. Telomerase down-regulation does not mediate PC12 pheochromocytoma cell differentiation induced by NGF, but requires MAP kinase signalling. J Neurochem. 2005;95:891-901 pubmed..The withdrawal of telomerase is not required to mediate NGF-induced PC12 cell differentiation and re-establishment of telomerase activity at significant levels does not inhibit differentiation. ..
- Malaterre J, Mantamadiotis T, Dworkin S, Lightowler S, Yang Q, Ransome M, et al. c-Myb is required for neural progenitor cell proliferation and maintenance of the neural stem cell niche in adult brain. Stem Cells. 2008;26:173-81 pubmed..Neural progenitor cells lacking c-Myb showed a reduced intrinsic proliferative capacity and reduction of Sox-2 and Pax-6 expression. These data point to an important role for c-Myb in the neurogenic niche of the adult brain. ..
- Ng A, Waring P, Ristevski S, Wang C, Wilson T, Pritchard M, et al. Inactivation of the transcription factor Elf3 in mice results in dysmorphogenesis and altered differentiation of intestinal epithelium. Gastroenterology. 2002;122:1455-66 pubmed..Elf3 is an important regulator of morphogenesis and terminal differentiation of epithelial cell lineages in the small intestine. ..
- Western P, Harry J, Marshall Graves J, Sinclair A. Temperature-dependent sex determination in the American alligator: expression of SF1, WT1 and DAX1 during gonadogenesis. Gene. 2000;241:223-32 pubmed..We conclude that DAX1, WT1 and SF1 may be involved in gonadal development of the alligator. These genes may form part of a gonadal-development pathway which has been conserved through vertebrate evolution...
- Elefanty A, Begley C, Metcalf D, Barnett L, Kontgen F, Robb L. Characterization of hematopoietic progenitor cells that express the transcription factor SCL, using a lacZ "knock-in" strategy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:11897-902 pubmed..Our data also suggested that expression of SCL was transient and confined to hematopoietic stem and/or progenitor cells, because the differentiated progeny of most lineages (except the erythroid) were beta-galactosidase-negative. ..
- Robb L, Begley C. The SCL/TAL1 gene: roles in normal and malignant haematopoiesis. Bioessays. 1997;19:607-13 pubmed..Biochemical studies have indicated some of the proteins which interact with SCL and this has refined the hypotheses concerning the mechanisms by which SCL plays a role in leukaemogenesis and haematopoietic development. ..
- Cameron F, Sinclair A. Mutations in SRY and SOX9: testis-determining genes. Hum Mutat. 1997;9:388-95 pubmed
- Pask A, Harry J, Renfree M, Marshall Graves J. Absence of SOX3 in the developing marsupial gonad is not consistent with a conserved role in mammalian sex determination. Genesis. 2000;27:145-52 pubmed..The absence of expression in the developing gonad strongly suggests that SOX3 does not have a conserved role in mammalian sexual determination or differentiation. ..
- Bernard O, Ganiatsas S, Kannourakis G, Dringen R. Kiz-1, a protein with LIM zinc finger and kinase domains, is expressed mainly in neurons. Cell Growth Differ. 1994;5:1159-71 pubmed..Our results suggest that Kiz-1 may play distinct roles in dividing cells and in differentiated neurons. ..
- Robb L, Lyons I, Li R, Hartley L, Kontgen F, Harvey R, et al. Absence of yolk sac hematopoiesis from mice with a targeted disruption of the scl gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:7075-9 pubmed..Transcripts of GATA-1 and PU.1 transcription factors were absent from RNA from scl-/- yolk sacs and embryos. These results implicate scl as a crucial regulator of early hematopoiesis. ..
- Haupt Y, Alexander W, Barri G, Klinken S, Adams J. Novel zinc finger gene implicated as myc collaborator by retrovirally accelerated lymphomagenesis in E mu-myc transgenic mice. Cell. 1991;65:753-63 pubmed..Thus, myc-induced lymphomagenesis can entail the concerted action of several genes, including the presumptive nuclear regulator bmi-1. ..
- Greenhalgh C, Bertolino P, Asa S, Metcalf D, Corbin J, Adams T, et al. Growth enhancement in suppressor of cytokine signaling 2 (SOCS-2)-deficient mice is dependent on signal transducer and activator of transcription 5b (STAT5b). Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:1394-406 pubmed..Furthermore, the deletion of SOCS-2 from mice also lacking signal transducer and activator of transcription 5b had little effect on growth, suggesting that the action of SOCS-2 may be the regulation of the GH signaling pathway. ..
- Corcoran L, Karvelas M. Oct-2 is required early in T cell-independent B cell activation for G1 progression and for proliferation. Immunity. 1994;1:635-45 pubmed..Responses to signals from activated T cells are unaffected. The requirement for Oct-2 maps to an early activation step in G1, during which B cells make the commitment to progress through the cell cycle and to divide...
- Visvader J, Begley C, Adams J. Differential expression of the LYL, SCL and E2A helix-loop-helix genes within the hemopoietic system. Oncogene. 1991;6:187-94 pubmed
- Corcoran L, Karvelas M, Nossal G, Ye Z, Jacks T, Baltimore D. Oct-2, although not required for early B-cell development, is critical for later B-cell maturation and for postnatal survival. Genes Dev. 1993;7:570-82 pubmed..Thus, Oct-2 is not required for the generation of immunoglobulin-bearing B cells but is crucial for their maturation to immunoglobulin-secreting cells and for another undetermined organismal function. ..
- Begley C, Lipkowitz S, GOBEL V, Mahon K, Bertness V, Green A, et al. Molecular characterization of NSCL, a gene encoding a helix-loop-helix protein expressed in the developing nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:38-42 pubmed..The NSCL gene was mapped to murine chromosome 1. The very restricted pattern of NSCL expression suggests an important role for this HLH protein in neurological development. ..
- Oates A, Wollberg P, Pratt S, Paw B, Johnson S, Ho R, et al. Zebrafish stat3 is expressed in restricted tissues during embryogenesis and stat1 rescues cytokine signaling in a STAT1-deficient human cell line. Dev Dyn. 1999;215:352-70 pubmed..dev dyn 1999;215:352-370. ..
- Begley C, Visvader J, Green A, Aplan P, Metcalf D, Kirsch I, et al. Molecular cloning and chromosomal localization of the murine homolog of the human helix-loop-helix gene SCL. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:869-73 pubmed..The murine SCL homolog was mapped to the central part of chromosome 4. ..
- Elefanty A, Begley C, Hartley L, Papaevangeliou B, Robb L. SCL expression in the mouse embryo detected with a targeted lacZ reporter gene demonstrates its localization to hematopoietic, vascular, and neural tissues. Blood. 1999;94:3754-63 pubmed
- Foletta V, Lim M, Soosairajah J, Kelly A, Stanley E, Shannon M, et al. Direct signaling by the BMP type II receptor via the cytoskeletal regulator LIMK1. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:1089-98 pubmed..This study identifies the first function of the BMPR-II tail domain and suggests that the deregulation of actin dynamics may contribute to the etiology of PPH. ..
- Peng B, Sutherland K, Sum E, Olayioye M, Wittlin S, Tang T, et al. CPAP is a novel stat5-interacting cofactor that augments stat5-mediated transcriptional activity. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2019-33 pubmed..Furthermore, CPAP was found to augment Stat5-mediated transcription. Thus, we have identified CPAP as a novel coactivator of Stat5 proteins in the PRL (and probably other) pathways. ..
- Jobling A, Fang Z, Koleski D, Tymms M. Expression of the ETS transcription factor ELF3 in the retinal pigment epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:3530-7 pubmed..Furthermore, its regulation of TIMP3 may have implications for degenerative retinal diseases, such as age-related macular degeneration. ..
- Krebs D, Hilton D. SOCS proteins: negative regulators of cytokine signaling. Stem Cells. 2001;19:378-87 pubmed..Additionally, the study of embryos lacking socs3 has revealed that SOCS3 is an important regulator of fetal liver hematopoiesis. The biological role of other SOCS proteins remains to be determined. ..
- Yu H, Stasinopoulos S, Leedman P, Medcalf R. Inherent instability of plasminogen activator inhibitor type 2 mRNA is regulated by tristetraprolin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:13912-8 pubmed..This study identifies TTP as a functional PAI-2 ARE-binding protein that modulates the post-transcriptional regulation of the PAI-2 gene. ..
- Kennan R, Dhungyel O, Whittington R, Egerton J, Rood J. The type IV fimbrial subunit gene (fimA) of Dichelobacter nodosus is essential for virulence, protease secretion, and natural competence. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:4451-8 pubmed..nodosus virulence gene. These studies represent the first time that molecular genetics has been used to determine the role of virulence genes in this slow growing anaerobic bacterium...
- Traven A, Hammet A, Tenis N, Denis C, Heierhorst J. Ccr4-not complex mRNA deadenylase activity contributes to DNA damage responses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2005;169:65-75 pubmed..Taken together, our data thus suggest that both transcriptional and post-transcriptional functions of the Ccr4-Not complex contribute to the DNA damage response affecting gene expression in a complex manner. ..
- Southon A, Burke R, Norgate M, Batterham P, Camakaris J. Copper homoeostasis in Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells. Biochem J. 2004;383:303-9 pubmed..This work is consistent with previous studies in mammalian cells, validating S2 cells as a model system for studying Cu transport and identifying novel Cu regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Pike B, Tenis N, Heierhorst J. Rad53 kinase activation-independent replication checkpoint function of the N-terminal forkhead-associated (FHA1) domain. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39636-44 pubmed
- Adams V, Lucet I, Lyras D, Rood J. DNA binding properties of TnpX indicate that different synapses are formed in the excision and integration of the Tn4451 family. Mol Microbiol. 2004;53:1195-207 pubmed..TnpX is the first large serine recombinase in which differential binding to its transposon and target sites has been demonstrated. ..
- Metcalf D, Greenhalgh C, Viney E, Willson T, Starr R, Nicola N, et al. Gigantism in mice lacking suppressor of cytokine signalling-2. Nature. 2000;405:1069-73 pubmed
- Bernard O, Burkitt V, Webb G, Bottema C, Nicholl J, Sutherland G, et al. Structure and chromosomal localization of the genomic locus encoding the Kiz1 LIM-kinase gene. Genomics. 1996;35:593-6 pubmed..Analysis of the chromosomal localization of KIZ1/LIMK1 indicates that it lies on human chromosome 17 in the region 17q25 and on mouse Chromosome 5, band G2. ..
- Vairo G, Soos T, Upton T, Zalvide J, DeCaprio J, Ewen M, et al. Bcl-2 retards cell cycle entry through p27(Kip1), pRB relative p130, and altered E2F regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4745-53 pubmed..Hence, Bcl-2 appears to retard cell cycle entry by increasing p27 and p130 levels and maintaining repressive complexes of p130 with E2F4, perhaps to delay E2F1 expression. ..
- Frankenberg S, Tisdall D, Selwood L. Identification of a homologue of POU5F1 (OCT3/4) in a marsupial, the brushtail possum. Mol Reprod Dev. 2001;58:255-61 pubmed..These results are comparable with those of murine and bovine expression studies, and suggest that the putative role of POU5F1 in totipotent and pluripotent cells is conserved among mammals. ..
- Owczarek C, Zhang Y, Layton M, Metcalf D, Roberts B, Nicola N. The unusual species cross-reactivity of the leukemia inhibitory factor receptor alpha-chain is determined primarily by the immunoglobulin-like domain. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:23976-85 pubmed..These findings should enable the development of a "humanized" mouse LIFR that could act as a potent antagonist of hLIF biological activities in vivo. ..
- Burke R, Commons E, Camakaris J. Expression and localisation of the essential copper transporter DmATP7 in Drosophila neuronal and intestinal tissues. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:1850-60 pubmed publisher..This fusion protein localises at or proximal to the basolateral membrane of DmATP7 expressing midgut cells supporting a role for DmATP7 in export of copper from midgut cells. ..
- Heierhorst J. Mdt1/ASCIZ: a new DNA damage response protein family. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:2654-60 pubmed..The Mdt1/ASCIZ family may function as structurally related scaffolds that facilitate efficient DNA repair, albeit with diverged lesion specificity. ..
- Jenkins B, Roberts A, Najdovska M, Grail D, Ernst M. The threshold of gp130-dependent STAT3 signaling is critical for normal regulation of hematopoiesis. Blood. 2005;105:3512-20 pubmed
- Corcoran L, Vremec D, Febbraio M, Baldwin T, Handman E. Differential regulation of CD36 expression in antigen-presenting cells: Oct-2 dependence in B lymphocytes but not dendritic cells or macrophages. Int Immunol. 2002;14:1099-104 pubmed..We conclude that CD36 does not play a major role in B cell function, but that CD36 may contribute indirectly to humoral immunity through cells of the innate immune system. ..