Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on copper in Victoria, Australia
Locale: Victoria, Australia
- Materia S, Cater M, Klomp L, Mercer J, La Fontaine S. Clusterin (apolipoprotein J), a molecular chaperone that facilitates degradation of the copper-ATPases ATP7A and ATP7B. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:10073-83 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, it is possible that variations in clusterin expression and function could contribute to the variable clinical expression of Menkes and Wilson diseases. ..
- Ke B, Llanos R, Wright M, Deal Y, Mercer J. Alteration of copper physiology in mice overexpressing the human Menkes protein ATP7A. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R1460-7 pubmed..The reduction in Cu was most pronounced in the hearts of older T22#2 females (24%), T22#2 males (18%), and T25#5 females (23%), as well as in the brains of 60-day-old T22#2 females and males (23% and 30%, respectively). ..
- Hardman B, Manuelpillai U, Wallace E, Monty J, Kramer D, Kuo Y, et al. Expression, localisation and hormone regulation of the human copper transporter hCTR1 in placenta and choriocarcinoma Jeg-3 cells. Placenta. 2006;27:968-77 pubmed..Furthermore, insulin altered the intracellular localisation of hCTR1, suggesting a previously undescribed role of this hormone in regulating copper uptake through the endocytic pathway. ..
- Cappai R, Cheng F, Ciccotosto G, Needham B, Masters C, Multhaup G, et al. The amyloid precursor protein (APP) of Alzheimer disease and its paralog, APLP2, modulate the Cu/Zn-Nitric Oxide-catalyzed degradation of glypican-1 heparan sulfate in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13913-20 pubmed..These observation identify a functional relationship between the heparan sulfate and copper ion binding activities of APP/APLP2 in their modulation of the nitroxyl anion-catalyzed heparan sulfate degradation in glypican-1. ..
- Stephenson S, Dubach D, Lim C, Mercer J, La Fontaine S. A single PDZ domain protein interacts with the Menkes copper ATPase, ATP7A. A new protein implicated in copper homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:33270-9 pubmed
- Barnham K, McKinstry W, Multhaup G, Galatis D, Morton C, Curtain C, et al. Structure of the Alzheimer's disease amyloid precursor protein copper binding domain. A regulator of neuronal copper homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:17401-7 pubmed..The surface location of this site, structural homology of CuBD to copper chaperones, and the role of APP in neuronal copper homeostasis are consistent with the CuBD acting as a neuronal metallotransporter. ..
- Lane C, Petris M, Benmerah A, Greenough M, Camakaris J. Studies on endocytic mechanisms of the Menkes copper-translocating P-type ATPase (ATP7A; MNK). Endocytosis of the Menkes protein. Biometals. 2004;17:87-98 pubmed..These studies, together with earlier studies on the requirement for L1487L1488, suggest that MNK can utilise both clathrin-dependent and clathrin-independent endocytosis in HeLa cells. ..
- Van Hiel M, Breugelmans B, Pagel C, Williams A, Varan A, Burke R, et al. The ovicidal, larvacidal and adulticidal properties of 5,5'-dimethyl-2,2'-bipyridyl against Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49961 pubmed publisher..29 mM was recorded following the ingestion of the compound. The capacity of Ha44 to act on all stages of the life-cycle and potentially via a range of targets suggests that target site resistance is unlikely to evolve. ..
- Fitridge I, Dempster T, Guenther J, de Nys R. The impact and control of biofouling in marine aquaculture: a review. Biofouling. 2012;28:649-69 pubmed publisher..These must meet environmental, societal, and economic benchmarks while effectively preventing the settlement and growth of resilient multi-species consortia of biofouling organisms...
- Southon A, Burke R, Norgate M, Batterham P, Camakaris J. Copper homoeostasis in Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells. Biochem J. 2004;383:303-9 pubmed..This work is consistent with previous studies in mammalian cells, validating S2 cells as a model system for studying Cu transport and identifying novel Cu regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Bellingham S, Ciccotosto G, Needham B, Fodero L, White A, Masters C, et al. Gene knockout of amyloid precursor protein and amyloid precursor-like protein-2 increases cellular copper levels in primary mouse cortical neurons and embryonic fibroblasts. J Neurochem. 2004;91:423-8 pubmed
- Burke R, Commons E, Camakaris J. Expression and localisation of the essential copper transporter DmATP7 in Drosophila neuronal and intestinal tissues. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:1850-60 pubmed publisher..This fusion protein localises at or proximal to the basolateral membrane of DmATP7 expressing midgut cells supporting a role for DmATP7 in export of copper from midgut cells. ..
- Southon A, Farlow A, Norgate M, Burke R, Camakaris J. Malvolio is a copper transporter in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:709-16 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate Mvl is a functional Cu transporter and that despite partial functional redundancy with the Ctr1 proteins, Cu uptake through this pathway is necessary for optimal viability at the cellular and organismal levels. ..
- Michalczyk A, Rieger J, Allen K, Mercer J, Ackland M. Defective localization of the Wilson disease protein (ATP7B) in the mammary gland of the toxic milk mouse and the effects of copper supplementation. Biochem J. 2000;352 Pt 2:565-71 pubmed..We conclude that the impaired copper transport from the mammary gland into milk in lactating tx mice is related to the mislocalization of ATP7B. ..
- McArdle H, Guthrie J, Ackland M, Danks D. Albumin has no role in the uptake of copper by human fibroblasts. J Inorg Biochem. 1987;31:123-31 pubmed..Since, in vivo there is essentially no free copper in serum, it is concluded that albumin is most unlikely to play a role in the uptake of copper by fibroblasts. ..
- Lim C, Cater M, Mercer J, La Fontaine S. Copper-dependent interaction of dynactin subunit p62 with the N terminus of ATP7B but not ATP7A. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14006-14 pubmed..We propose that the ATP7B interaction with p62 is a key component of the copper-induced trafficking pathway that delivers ATP7B to subapical vesicles of hepatocytes for the removal of excess copper into bile. ..
- Monty J, Llanos R, Mercer J, Kramer D. Copper exposure induces trafficking of the menkes protein in intestinal epithelium of ATP7A transgenic mice. J Nutr. 2005;135:2762-6 pubmed
- Crouch P, Barnham K. Therapeutic redistribution of metal ions to treat Alzheimer's disease. Acc Chem Res. 2012;45:1604-11 pubmed..PBT2 improved cognition in a phase II clinical trial with AD patients, and further clinical testing is currently underway...
- Hardman B, Michalczyk A, Greenough M, Camakaris J, Mercer J, Ackland M. Hormonal regulation of the Menkes and Wilson copper-transporting ATPases in human placental Jeg-3 cells. Biochem J. 2007;402:241-50 pubmed..These data show for the first time that MNK and WND are differentially regulated by the hormones insulin and oestrogen in human placental cells. ..
- Barnham K, Ciccotosto G, Tickler A, Ali F, Smith D, Williamson N, et al. Neurotoxic, redox-competent Alzheimer's beta-amyloid is released from lipid membrane by methionine oxidation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42959-65 pubmed..We hypothesize that Met(O)Abeta production contributes to the elevation of soluble Abeta seen in the brain in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Strausak D, Mercer J, Dieter H, Stremmel W, Multhaup G. Copper in disorders with neurological symptoms: Alzheimer's, Menkes, and Wilson diseases. Brain Res Bull. 2001;55:175-85 pubmed..This could provide a rationale for a link between severely dysregulated metal-ion homeostasis and the selective neuronal pathology. ..