Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Queensland, Australia
Locale: Queensland, Australia
Publications422 found, 100 shown here
- Muller D, Frentiu F, Rojas A, Moreira L, O Neill S, Young P. A portable approach for the surveillance of dengue virus-infected mosquitoes. J Virol Methods. 2012;183:90-3 pubmed publisher..The method described in this study allows rapid, real-time monitoring of dengue virus presence in mosquito populations and could be a useful addition to effective monitoring and vector control responses. ..
- Miller I, Cheal A, Emslie M, Logan M, Sweatman H. Ongoing effects of no-take marine reserves on commercially exploited coral trout populations on the Great Barrier Reef. Mar Environ Res. 2012;79:167-70 pubmed publisher..Coral trout populations were significantly higher in NTMRs. While coral trout populations declined on reefs open to fishing, stocks were maintained in NTMRs, highlighting the ongoing benefits of marine reserves...
- O Sullivan L, Cuffe J, Paravicini T, Campbell S, Dickinson H, Singh R, et al. Prenatal exposure to dexamethasone in the mouse alters cardiac growth patterns and increases pulse pressure in aged male offspring. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69149 pubmed publisher..However, the widened pulse pressure may be indicative of altered vascular compliance. ..
- Amoroso G, Adams M, Ventura T, Carter C, Cobcroft J. Skeletal anomaly assessment in diploid and triploid juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) and the effect of temperature in freshwater. J Fish Dis. 2016;39:449-66 pubmed publisher..05) lower number of vertebrae and higher prevalence of deformed individuals. These findings (second experiment) suggest ploidy was more influential than temperature in this study. ..
- Hughes T, Kerry J, Álvarez Noriega M, Álvarez Romero J, Anderson K, Baird A, et al. Global warming and recurrent mass bleaching of corals. Nature. 2017;543:373-377 pubmed publisher..Similarly, past exposure to bleaching in 1998 and 2002 did not lessen the severity of bleaching in 2016. Consequently, immediate global action to curb future warming is essential to secure a future for coral reefs. ..
- Turcotte M, Allard D, Mittal D, Bareche Y, Buisseret L, JosÃ© V, et al. CD73 Promotes Resistance to HER2/ErbB2 Antibody Therapy. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5652-5663 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings establish CD73 in mediating resistance to trastuzumab and provide new insights into how CD73 is regulated in breast cancer. Cancer Res; 77(20); 5652-63. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Neal M, Neal J, Fulkerson W. Optimal choice of dairy forages in eastern Australia. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:3044-59 pubmed..The result was robust to changes in seasonal milk pricing and a move from year-round to a more seasonal calving pattern. ..
- Glanfield A, McManus D, Anderson G, Jones M. Pumping iron: a potential target for novel therapeutics against schistosomes. Trends Parasitol. 2007;23:583-8 pubmed..Elucidation of these metabolic mechanisms could lead to the development of new interventions for the control of schistosomiasis and other helminth diseases. ..
- Rout T, Hauser C, Possingham H. Optimal adaptive management for the translocation of a threatened species. Ecol Appl. 2009;19:515-26 pubmed..Few studies outside the area of optimal harvesting have framed AAM within a decision theory context. This is the first application to threatened species translocation. ..
- Barendse W, Harrison B, Bunch R, Thomas M, Turner L. Genome wide signatures of positive selection: the comparison of independent samples and the identification of regions associated to traits. BMC Genomics. 2009;10:178 pubmed publisher..Finally, the FST difference between adjacent loci suggests that 150,000 evenly spaced SNP will be required to study selective signatures in all parts of the bovine genome. ..
- Clements A, Barnett A, Cheng Z, Snow R, Zhou H. Space-time variation of malaria incidence in Yunnan province, China. Malar J. 2009;8:180 pubmed publisher..Heterogeneities in county-level temporal trends suggest that reductions in the burden of malaria have been unevenly distributed throughout the province. ..
- Beckham S, Boyd S, Reynolds S, Willis C, Johnstone M, Mika A, et al. Characterization of a serine protease homologous to house dust mite group 3 allergens from the scabies mite Sarcoptes scabiei. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:34413-22 pubmed publisher..This is the first report elucidating the substrate specificity of Sar s 3 and its potential role in scabies mite biology. ..
- Carty M, Wixey J, Kesby J, Reinebrant H, Colditz P, Gobe G, et al. Long-term losses of amygdala corticotropin-releasing factor neurons are associated with behavioural outcomes following neonatal hypoxia-ischemia. Behav Brain Res. 2010;208:609-18 pubmed publisher..Thus after P3 HI persistent losses of CRF- and NPY-positive neurons occur and the loss of CeA CRF neurons may provide a central anatomical mechanism underlying neurobehavioural deficits observed 6 weeks after P3 HI. ..
- Lee E, Rothwell J. Histological changes to the skin of Merino sheep following deep dermal and subcutaneous injections of sodium lauryl sulfate. Aust Vet J. 2010;88:146-50 pubmed publisher..Injection of SLS caused almost immediate local necrosis followed by eschar formation, sloughing and scarring of treated skin. Deep dermal and subcutaneous SLS is potentially useful as a chemical alternative to mulesing. ..
- Ghai R, Mobli M, Norwood S, Bugarcic A, Teasdale R, King G, et al. Phox homology band 4.1/ezrin/radixin/moesin-like proteins function as molecular scaffolds that interact with cargo receptors and Ras GTPases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7763-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, this work defines a novel family of proteins that participate in a network of interactions that will impact on both endosomal protein trafficking and compartment specific Ras signaling cascades. ..
- McDonald Madden E, Chadès I, McCarthy M, Linkie M, Possingham H. Allocating conservation resources between areas where persistence of a species is uncertain. Ecol Appl. 2011;21:844-58 pubmed..The results highlight the importance of including partial observability in future models of optimal species management when the species of concern is cryptic in nature. ..
- Matthews P, White C. Regulation of gas exchange and haemolymph pH in the cockroach Nauphoeta cinerea. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:3062-73 pubmed publisher..This pattern continues to maintain gas exchange, but with less precision...
- Duell B, Carey A, Tan C, Cui X, Webb R, Totsika M, et al. Innate transcriptional networks activated in bladder in response to uropathogenic Escherichia coli drive diverse biological pathways and rapid synthesis of IL-10 for defense against bacterial urinary tract infection. J Immunol. 2012;188:781-92 pubmed publisher..Identification of protective roles for other elements in the transcriptome will provide critical new insight into the complex cascade of events that underpin UTI...
- Sanchez Vega M, Chong S, Burne T. Early gestational exposure to moderate concentrations of ethanol alters adult behaviour in C57BL/6J mice. Behav Brain Res. 2013;252:326-33 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that even moderate dose ethanol exposure in early gestation has long term consequences on brain function and behaviour in mice. ..
- Ertl N, O Connor W, Brooks P, Keats M, Elizur A. Combined exposure to pyrene and fluoranthene and their molecular effects on the Sydney rock oyster, Saccostrea glomerata. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:136-45 pubmed publisher..g. protection from infection). ..
- Lee K, Chand K, Hammond L, Lavidis N, Noakes P. Functional decline at the aging neuromuscular junction is associated with altered laminin-α4 expression. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:880-899 pubmed publisher..These findings significantly support the role of laminin-α4 in maintenance of the NMJ during aging. ..
- Kaarbø M, Crane D, Murrell W. RhoA is highly up-regulated in the process of early heart development of the chick and important for normal embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:35-47 pubmed..Disruption of RhoA expression by siRNA treatment resulted in lack of heart tube fusion and abnormal head development. These data indicate that RhoA is important for normal embryogenesis. ..
- Blackall P, Bojesen A, Christensen H, Bisgaard M. Reclassification of [Pasteurella] trehalosi as Bibersteinia trehalosi gen. nov., comb. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2007;57:666-74 pubmed
- McCombe P. Recombinant EPF/chaperonin 10 promotes the survival of O4-positive pro-oligodendrocytes prepared from neonatal rat brain. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2008;13:467-74 pubmed publisher..We also studied the effects of bFGF, PDGF, IGF-1 and insulin as controls. With cpn 10 present, there was enhanced survival of O4(+) cells. ..
- Ovenden J, Kashiwagi T, Broderick D, Giles J, Salini J. The extent of population genetic subdivision differs among four co-distributed shark species in the Indo-Australian archipelago. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:40 pubmed publisher..Biological and ecological similarity between species may not be a predictor of population genetic structure, so species-specific studies are recommended to provide new data to assist with sustainable fisheries management. ..
- Brownlie J, Cass B, Riegler M, Witsenburg J, Iturbe Ormaetxe I, McGraw E, et al. Evidence for metabolic provisioning by a common invertebrate endosymbiont, Wolbachia pipientis, during periods of nutritional stress. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000368 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Wolbachia may play a previously unrecognized role as nutritional mutualists in insects. ..
- Dawson P, Choyce A, Chuang C, Whitelock J, Markovich D, Leggatt G. Enhanced tumor growth in the NaS1 sulfate transporter null mouse. Cancer Sci. 2010;101:369-73 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of blood sulfate levels as a possible modulator of tumor growth, and could lead to future cancer studies in humans with altered sulfate homeostasis. ..
- Johnstone K, Karoli T, Liu L, Dredge K, Copeman E, Li C, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of polysulfated oligosaccharide glycosides as inhibitors of angiogenesis and tumor growth. J Med Chem. 2010;53:1686-99 pubmed publisher..The data support the further investigation of this class of compounds as potential antiangiogenic, anticancer therapeutics. ..
- Prow T, Chen X, Prow N, Fernando G, Tan C, Raphael A, et al. Nanopatch-targeted skin vaccination against West Nile Virus and Chikungunya virus in mice. Small. 2010;6:1776-84 pubmed publisher..The NP thus offers a needle-free, versatile, highly effective vaccine delivery system that is potentially inexpensive and simple to use. ..
- Kuballa A, Holton T, Paterson B, Elizur A. Moult cycle specific differential gene expression profiling of the crab Portunus pelagicus. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:147 pubmed publisher..pelagicus can provide a greater understanding of gene function, interaction, and regulation of both known and new genes with respect to the moulting process. ..
- Wetzig A, Mackay Sim A, Murrell W. Characterization of olfactory stem cells. Cell Transplant. 2011;20:1673-91 pubmed publisher..Significantly, of importance to any tissue regeneration endeavor, stem cell numbers were shown to be enriched by our culture methods. This was confirmed whether measured by sphere-forming capacity or differentiation response rate. ..
- Fry B, Scheib H, de L M Junqueira de Azevedo I, Silva D, Casewell N. Novel transcripts in the maxillary venom glands of advanced snakes. Toxicon. 2012;59:696-708 pubmed publisher..The additional complexity of snake venoms has important implications not only for understanding their molecular evolution, but also reinforces the tremendous importance of venoms as a diverse bio-resource...
- Stewart I, Eaglesham G, McGregor G, Chong R, Seawright A, Wickramasinghe W, et al. First report of a toxic Nodularia spumigena (Nostocales/ Cyanobacteria) bloom in sub-tropical Australia. II. Bioaccumulation of nodularin in isolated populations of mullet (Mugilidae). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012;9:2412-43 pubmed publisher..This report incorporates a systematic review of the literature on nodularin measured in edible fish, shellfish and crustaceans...
- Li D, Wei T, Abbott C, Harrich D. The unexpected roles of eukaryotic translation elongation factors in RNA virus replication and pathogenesis. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2013;77:253-66 pubmed publisher..Here we review the mechanisms used by viral pathogens to usurp these abundant cellular proteins for their replication. ..
- Feutry P, Pillans R, Kyne P, Chen X. Complete mitogenome of the Graceful Shark Carcharhinus amblyrhynchoides (Carcharhiniformes: Carcharhinidae). Mitochondrial DNA A DNA Mapp Seq Anal. 2016;27:314-5 pubmed publisher..The overall base composition is 31.4% A, 25.1% C, 13.2% G and 30.3% T. The shortest tRNA-Ser2 cannot fold into a clover-leaf secondary structure due to the lack of the dihydrouridine arm. ..
- Guo B, Zhang W, Tume R, Hudson N, Huang F, Yin Y, et al. Disorder of endoplasmic reticulum calcium channel components is associated with the increased apoptotic potential in pale, soft, exudative pork. Meat Sci. 2016;115:34-40 pubmed publisher..05) suggests the important role of mitochondria during apoptosis appearance in PSE meat. Taken together, our data inferred that the calcium channel disorder present in PSE meat was associated with the increased apoptotic potential. ..
- Dayao D, Gibson J, Blackall P, Turni C. Antimicrobial resistance genes in Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae, Haemophilus parasuis and Pasteurella multocida isolated from Australian pigs. Aust Vet J. 2016;94:227-31 pubmed publisher..However, the macrolide resistance observed by phenotypic testing remains genetically unexplained and further studies are required. ..
- Coulthard L, Hawksworth O, Li R, Balachandran A, Lee J, Sepehrband F, et al. Complement C5aR1 Signaling Promotes Polarization and Proliferation of Embryonic Neural Progenitor Cells through PKCζ. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5395-5407 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates mechanisms through which dysregulation of complement causes developmental disease and highlights the potential risk of complement inhibition for therapeutic purposes in pregnancy. ..
- Burton G, Mason K. Do postvaccinal sarcomas occur in Australian cats?. Aust Vet J. 1997;75:102-6 pubmed..Six other vaccine site fibrosarcomas, potentially vaccine associated using the above criteria, are summarised...
- Xu H, Wipasa J, Yan H, Zeng M, Makobongo M, Finkelman F, et al. The mechanism and significance of deletion of parasite-specific CD4(+) T cells in malaria infection. J Exp Med. 2002;195:881-92 pubmed..This study provides further insight into the nature of immunity to malaria and may have a significant impact on approaches taken to develop a malaria vaccine. ..
- Jones M, Gobert G, Zhang L, Sunderland P, McManus D. The cytoskeleton and motor proteins of human schistosomes and their roles in surface maintenance and host-parasite interactions. Bioessays. 2004;26:752-65 pubmed..Unresolved questions in relation to the structure and function of the tegument relate to dynamic organization of the syncytial layer...
- Gu W, Li M, Zhao W, Fang N, Bu S, Frazer I, et al. tRNASer(CGA) differentially regulates expression of wild-type and codon-modified papillomavirus L1 genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4448-61 pubmed..These findings demonstrate for the first time in eukaryotic cells that translation of the target genes can be differentially influenced by the provision of a single tRNA expression construct. ..
- MacDonald K, Rowe V, Bofinger H, Thomas R, Sasmono T, Hume D, et al. The colony-stimulating factor 1 receptor is expressed on dendritic cells during differentiation and regulates their expansion. J Immunol. 2005;175:1399-405 pubmed..These data provide additional evidence that the majority of tissue DC is of myeloid origin during steady state and supports a close relationship between DC and macrophage biology in vivo. ..
- Price E, Huygens F, Giffard P. Fingerprinting of Campylobacter jejuni by using resolution-optimized binary gene targets derived from comparative genome hybridization studies. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:7793-803 pubmed..We have developed and refined a rapid, highly discriminatory genotyping method for C. jejuni and C. coli that uses generic technology and is amenable to high-throughput analyses. ..
- De Barro P, Khan S. Adult Bemisia tabaci biotype B can induce silverleafing in squash. Bull Entomol Res. 2007;97:433-6 pubmed..Further, the response was density-dependent with 120 adults inducing the first signs of silverleafing in 11 days, 90 adults in 13 days and 60 adults in 15 days. ..
- Ratnayake R, Fremlin L, Lacey E, Gill J, Capon R. Acremolides A-D, lipodepsipeptides from an Australian marine-derived fungus, Acremonium sp. J Nat Prod. 2008;71:403-8 pubmed publisher..Structures were assigned to 4- 7 on the basis of detailed spectroscopic analysis and chemical derivatization and by application of a new C 3 Marfey's method for amino acid analysis. ..
- Kulawickrama S, O Leary M, Hodgson W, Brown S, Jacoby T, Davern K, et al. Development of a sensitive enzyme immunoassay for measuring taipan venom in serum. Toxicon. 2010;55:1510-8 pubmed publisher..The use of biotinylation and the antivenom difference method in venom EIA produces a highly sensitive assay that will be useful for determining antivenom dose, forensic and clinical diagnosis...
- Kefford B, Marchant R, SchÃ¤fer R, Metzeling L, Dunlop J, Choy S, et al. The definition of species richness used by species sensitivity distributions approximates observed effects of salinity on stream macroinvertebrates. Environ Pollut. 2011;159:302-310 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in our system both definitions are commensurable. ..
- Cavanagh B, Walker T, Norazit A, Meedeniya A. Thymidine analogues for tracking DNA synthesis. Molecules. 2011;16:7980-93 pubmed publisher..The full potential of EdU and related molecules in biomedical research remains to be explored. ..
- Keates H, Whittem T. Effect of intravenous dose escalation with alfaxalone and propofol on occurrence of apnoea in the dog. Res Vet Sci. 2012;93:904-6 pubmed publisher..The median dose which induced apnoea was higher for alfaxalone (5×) than for propofol (2×) (p=0.05). We concluded that induction of anaesthesia with propofol is more likely to induce apnoea than with alfaxalone. ..
- Narayan E, Parnell T, Clark G, Martin Vegue P, Mucci A, Hero J. Faecal cortisol metabolites in Bengal (Panthera tigris tigris) and Sumatran tigers (Panthera tigris sumatrae). Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2013;194:318-25 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the FCM EIA described in this study provides a reliable non-invasive method for evaluating the stress status of tigers in Zoos. ..
- Welfare P, Little M, Pereira P, Seymour J. An in-vitro examination of the effect of vinegar on discharged nematocysts of Chironex fleckeri. Diving Hyperb Med. 2014;44:30-4 pubmed..To determine the effect acetic acid (vinegar) has on discharged nematocysts in a simulated sting from Chironex fleckeri...
- Gillett A, Flint M, Hulse L, Hanger J, Mills P. Haematological and biochemical reference intervals for three species of hydrophiine sea snakes (Hydrophis curtus, H.Â elegans and H.Â peronii) in Australia. Vet J. 2015;204:275-81 pubmed publisher..Lymph contamination was considered and accounted for. Although only three species of sea snakes are represented in this study, the RIs generated may be useful in the clinical assessment of other sea snake species. ..
- Deuis J, Dekan Z, Inserra M, Lee T, Aguilar M, Craik D, et al. Development of a ?O-Conotoxin Analogue with Improved Lipid Membrane Interactions and Potency for the Analgesic Sodium Channel NaV1.8. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:11829-42 pubmed publisher..This analogue had increased potency at NaV1.8 and was analgesic in the mouse formalin assay. ..
- Naz S, Desclozeaux M, Mounsey K, Chaudhry F, Walton S. Characterization of Sarcoptes scabiei Tropomyosin and Paramyosin: Immunoreactive Allergens in Scabies. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:851-860 pubmed publisher..The developed enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay helps direct future development of a specific diagnostic tool for scabies. ..
- Walker P, Byrne K, Cybinski D, Doolan D, Wang Y. Proteins of bovine ephemeral fever virus. J Gen Virol. 1991;72 ( Pt 1):67-74 pubmed..Five viral proteins were also detected in cells infected with the closely related Berrimah virus; the Berrimah virus G protein was also present in two forms...
- Banks G, Chau T, Bartlett S, Noakes P. Promotion of motoneuron survival and branching in rapsyn-deficient mice. J Comp Neurol. 2001;429:156-65 pubmed..Moreover, these results support the idea that skeletal muscle activity through effective synaptic transmission and intramuscular axonal branching are major mechanisms that regulate motoneuron survival during development. ..
- Flanagan J, Healey S, Young J, Whitehall V, Trott D, Newbold R, et al. Mapping of a candidate colorectal cancer tumor-suppressor gene to a 900-kilobase region on the short arm of chromosome 8. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2004;40:247-60 pubmed..Despite the rarity of somatic mutations, the expression data suggest that KIAA1456 is still a candidate for the putative 8p colorectal cancer tumor-suppressor gene. ..
- Langova V, Mutsaers A, Phillips B, Straw R. Treatment of eight dogs with nasal tumours with alternating doses of doxorubicin and carboplatin in conjunction with oral piroxicam. Aust Vet J. 2004;82:676-80 pubmed..There was resolution of clinical signs after one to two doses of chemotherapy in all dogs. This chemotherapy protocol was efficacious and well tolerated in this series of eight cases of canine nasal tumours. ..
- Tiralongo J, Ashikov A, Routier F, Eckhardt M, Bakker H, Gerardy Schahn R, et al. Functional expression of the CMP-sialic acid transporter in Escherichia coli and its identification as a simple mobile carrier. Glycobiology. 2006;16:73-81 pubmed..Kinetic studies carried out with CMP-Neu5Ac and established CMP-Neu5Ac antagonist's evaluated natural conformation of the reconstituted protein and clearly demonstrate that the transporter acts as a simple mobile carrier. ..
- Chinivasagam H, Corney B, Wright L, Diallo I, Blackall P. Detection of Arcobacter spp. in piggery effluent and effluent-irrigated soils in southeast Queensland. J Appl Microbiol. 2007;103:418-26 pubmed..To investigate the occurrence and levels of Arcobacter spp. in pig effluent ponds and effluent-treated soil...
- van den Hurk A, Ritchie S, Mackenzie J. Ecology and geographical expansion of Japanese encephalitis virus. Annu Rev Entomol. 2009;54:17-35 pubmed publisher..This review outlines the ecology of JEV and examines the recent expansion of its geographical range, before assessing its ability to emerge in new regions, using the hypothetical establishment in the United States as a case study. ..
- Tung J, Fraser J, Wood P, Fung Y. Respiratory burst function of ovine neutrophils. BMC Immunol. 2009;10:25 pubmed publisher..This improved understanding of ovine neutrophils will facilitate the validitation of ovine biomedical models of human pathologies in which neutrophils have been implicated. ..
- Glazov E, Horwood P, Assavalapsakul W, Kongsuwan K, Mitchell R, Mitter N, et al. Characterization of microRNAs encoded by the bovine herpesvirus 1 genome. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:32-41 pubmed publisher..The possible roles for BoHV-1 miRNAs in the regulation of known BoHV-1 transcription units and the genetics of the BoHV-1 genotypes are also discussed. ..
- Hope M, Jiang X, Gough J, Cadogan L, Josh P, Jonsson N, et al. Experimental vaccination of sheep and cattle against tick infestation using recombinant 5'-nucleotidase. Parasite Immunol. 2010;32:135-42 pubmed publisher..One possible reason for the difference between host species, namely antibody titre, was examined and shown to be an unlikely explanation. This demonstrates a limitation of using a model host like sheep in vaccine studies...
- Frances S, MacKenzie D, Rowcliffe K, Corcoran S. Comparative field evaluation of repellent formulations containing deet and IR3535 against mosquitoes in Queensland, Australia. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2009;25:511-3 pubmed..The study showed that ADF deet provided significantly better protection against mosquitoes than Avon Bug Guard (IR3535). ..
- Byrne K, Vuocolo T, Gondro C, White J, Cockett N, Hadfield T, et al. A gene network switch enhances the oxidative capacity of ovine skeletal muscle during late fetal development. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:378 pubmed publisher..These changes probably underpin the adaption of muscle to new physiological demands in the postnatal environment. ..
- Platell J, Johnson J, Cobbold R, Trott D. Multidrug-resistant extraintestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli of sequence type ST131 in animals and foods. Vet Microbiol. 2011;153:99-108 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, given the profound public health importance of the emergent ST131 clonal group, even the limited available evidence indicates a pressing need for further careful study of this significant question. ..
- Fanning J, Cox S, Scalia G. Percutaneous closure of an aortic prosthetic paravalvar leak: an Australian first. Heart Lung Circ. 2012;21:174-7 pubmed publisher..Consequently, current literature on its application to aortic PVLs is limited. This article describes what we believe to be the first percutaneous closure of an aortic prosthetic PVL in Australia. ..
- Pettett L, McKinnon A, Wilson G, Carrick F, Sly L, Bird P. The development of an oral health charting system for koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus). J Vet Dent. 2012;29:232-41 pubmed..This unique form of oral health monitoring would be adaptable to other mammals. ..
- Takasato M, Er P, Becroft M, Vanslambrouck J, Stanley E, Elefanty A, et al. Directing human embryonic stem cell differentiation towards a renal lineage generates a self-organizing kidney. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:118-26 pubmed publisher..Such hESC-derived components show broad renal potential ex vivo, illustrating the potential for pluripotent-stem-cell-based renal regeneration. ..
- Beaman J, White C, Seebacher F. Evolution of Plasticity: Mechanistic Link between Development and Reversible Acclimation. Trends Ecol Evol. 2016;31:237-249 pubmed publisher..Developmental plasticity is therefore also beneficial when environmental conditions change within generations. Hence, the evolution of reversible acclimation can no longer be viewed as independent from developmental processes. ..
- Taylor A, Liu X, Zaid A, Goh L, Hobson Peters J, Hall R, et al. Mutation of the N-Terminal Region of Chikungunya Virus Capsid Protein: Implications for Vaccine Design. MBio. 2017;8: pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the pathobiology of CHIKV disease will aid the development of effective therapeutic strategies. ..
- Arbe Montoya A, Rand J, Greer R, Alberthsen C, Vankan D. Relationship between sources of pet acquisition and euthanasia of cats and dogs in an animal shelter: a pilot study. Aust Vet J. 2017;95:194-200 pubmed publisher..These findings should be confirmed by prospective studies, which should also investigate the interaction between acquisition source and other factors, using larger data sets from a variety of shelters. ..
- Pope L, Estoup A, Moritz C. Phylogeography and population structure of an ecotonal marsupial, Bettongia tropica, determined using mtDNA and microsatellites. Mol Ecol. 2000;9:2041-53 pubmed..Despite relatively limited gene flow, evidence for asymmetric dispersal suggests more complicated population dynamics than a simple linear stepping-stone model. ..
- Randall L, Amante F, Zhou Y, Stanley A, Haque A, Rivera F, et al. Cutting edge: selective blockade of LIGHT-lymphotoxin beta receptor signaling protects mice from experimental cerebral malaria caused by Plasmodium berghei ANKA. J Immunol. 2008;181:7458-62 pubmed..In summary, we have discovered a novel pathogenic role for LIGHT and LTbetaR in ECM, identifying this TNF family receptor-ligand interaction as an important immune regulator during experimental malaria. ..
- Piper M, Plachez C, Zalucki O, Fothergill T, Goudreau G, Erzurumlu R, et al. Neuropilin 1-Sema signaling regulates crossing of cingulate pioneering axons during development of the corpus callosum. Cereb Cortex. 2009;19 Suppl 1:i11-21 pubmed publisher..These data highlight a central role for Npn1 in the development of projections from the cingulate cortex and further illustrate the importance of these pioneer axons in the formation of the CC. ..
- Wan Norhana M, Poole S, Deeth H, Dykes G. Effects of nisin, EDTA and salts of organic acids on Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella and native microflora on fresh vacuum packaged shrimps stored at 4 °C. Food Microbiol. 2012;31:43-50 pubmed publisher..99 log CFU g?¹ respectively, as compared to the control. Dipping in organic acids solutions followed by vacuum packaging and chilled storage can help reduce L. monocytogenes and native microflora, but not Salmonella, on fresh shrimps...
- Massaro F, Brooks P, Wallace H, Nsengiyumva V, Narokai L, Russell F. Effect of Australian propolis from stingless bees (Tetragonula carbonaria) on pre-contracted human and porcine isolated arteries. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e81297 pubmed publisher..This effect is partially and slowly reversible upon washout. Further studies are required to determine the therapeutic potential of Australian stingless bee propolis for conditions in which vascular supply is compromised. ..
- Nowlan B, Futrega K, Brunck M, Walkinshaw G, Flippin L, Doran M, et al. HIF-1Î±-stabilizing agent FG-4497 rescues human CD34+ cell mobilization inÂ response to G-CSF in immunodeficient mice. Exp Hematol. 2017;52:50-55.e6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the PHD inhibitor FG-4497 also increases human HSPC mobilization in a xenograft mouse model, suggesting the possibility of testing PHD inhibitors to boost HSPC mobilization in response to G-CSF in humans. ..
- Liang J, Tan C, Taylor S, Baumert J, Lopata A, Lee N. Quantitative analysis of species specificity of two anti-parvalbumin antibodies for detecting southern hemisphere fish species demonstrating strong phylogenetic association. Food Chem. 2017;237:588-596 pubmed publisher..This approach showed for the first time a statistical correlation between the PAV content and the immunoreactivity and allowed to rank the relative species/order specificity of the two antibodies for the southern hemisphere fish PAV. ..
- Smith I, Halpin K, Warrilow D, Smith G. Development of a fluorogenic RT-PCR assay (TaqMan) for the detection of Hendra virus. J Virol Methods. 2001;98:33-40 pubmed..This assay will provide a rapid diagnosis of future outbreaks of Hendra virus. ..