Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on vaccinia virus in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Locale: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Topic: vaccinia virus
- Day S, Ramshaw I, Ramsay A, Ranasinghe C. Differential effects of the type I interferons alpha4, beta, and epsilon on antiviral activity and vaccine efficacy. J Immunol. 2008;180:7158-66 pubmed..Our data also indicate that while IFN-epsilon exhibits certain biological traits similar to other type I IFNs, it may also have a specific role in mucosal immune regulation that is quite distinct...
- Dobson B, Procter D, Hollett N, Flesch I, Newsome T, Tscharke D. Vaccinia virus F5 is required for normal plaque morphology in multiple cell lines but not replication in culture or virulence in mice. Virology. 2014;456-457:145-56 pubmed publisher..Further they show the necessity of testing plaque phenotypes in more than one cell type and provide an example of a VACV gene required for normal plaque morphology but not replication and spread. ..
- Dobson B, Tscharke D. Truncation of gene F5L partially masks rescue of vaccinia virus strain MVA growth on mammalian cells by restricting plaque size. J Gen Virol. 2014;95:466-71 pubmed publisher..These defective genes in MVA confound the interpretation of marker rescue experiments designed to map mutations responsible for the attenuation of this important VACV strain. ..
- Lin L, Flesch I, Tscharke D. Immunodomination during peripheral vaccinia virus infection. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003329 pubmed publisher..These results shed light on a possible mechanism of immunodomination and highlight the need to consider multiple epitopes across the spectrum of immunogenicities in studies aimed at understanding CD8(+) T cell immunity to viruses. ..
- Wong Y, Lin L, Melo Silva C, Smith S, Tscharke D. Engineering recombinant poxviruses using a compact GFP-blasticidin resistance fusion gene for selection. J Virol Methods. 2011;171:295-8 pubmed publisher..These sequences allow a single plasmid to be used to insert a transgene into multiple strains of the virus. ..
- Yuen T, Flesch I, Hollett N, Dobson B, Russell T, Fahrer A, et al. Analysis of A47, an immunoprevalent protein of vaccinia virus, leads to a reevaluation of the total antiviral CD8+ T cell response. J Virol. 2010;84:10220-9 pubmed publisher..We speculate that more CD8(+) T cell epitopes remain to be mapped for VACV and that underestimation of responses is unlikely to be unique to VACV, so there would be merit in revisiting this issue for other viruses...
- Flesch I, Woo W, Wang Y, Panchanathan V, Wong Y, La Gruta N, et al. Altered CD8(+) T cell immunodominance after vaccinia virus infection and the naive repertoire in inbred and F(1) mice. J Immunol. 2010;184:45-55 pubmed publisher..These data have implications for our understanding of the extent to which MHC diversity alters the range of epitopes that are immunogenic in outbred populations. ..
- Hamilton N, Mahalingam S, Banyer J, Ramshaw I, Thomson S. A recombinant vaccinia virus encoding the interferon-inducible T-cell alpha chemoattractant is attenuated in vivo. Scand J Immunol. 2004;59:246-54 pubmed..The data presented here show that I-TAC can have an important role during virus infections and that vaccinia has evolved ways to avoid inducing I-TAC expression. ..
- Lobigs M, Mullbacher A, Blanden R, Hammerling G, Momburg F. Antigen presentation in syrian hamster cells: substrate selectivity of TAP controlled by polymorphic residues in TAP1 and differential requirements for loading of H2 class I molecules. Immunogenetics. 1999;49:931-41 pubmed..Thus, polymorphic residues in TAP1 can influence the substrate selectivity of the Syrian hamster peptide transporter...
- Rolph M, Ramshaw I, Rockett K, Ruby J, Cowden W. Nitric oxide production is increased during murine vaccinia virus infection, but may not be essential for virus clearance. Virology. 1996;217:470-7 pubmed..Treatment of VV-infected mice with the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor N(G)-methyl-L-arginine did not alter the course of infection, suggesting that NO may not be essential for the clearance of this virus...