EASTERN COOPERATIVE ONCOLOGY GROUP
Principal Investigator: Joseph Sparano
Affiliation: Montefiore Medical Center
Abstract: This application is submitted by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) in order to request funding via the U10 mechanism to continue as a main institutional member of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG). AECOM faculty plays key roles scientific and administrative leadership roles in ECOG, including both clinical and translational research. The AECOM Cancer Center (AECC) is an NCI-designated Cancer Center that has been continuously funded since 1971. During the last 3-year grant cycle, AECC members accrued approximately 150 patients to ECOG therapeutic trials, authored or co-authored 17 manuscripts and 17 abstracts related to ECOG studies, chaired or co-chaired 7 ECOG studies that were completed or developed, and played key roles as study chair or co-chair in two pivotal breast cancer trials that were orally presented at the 2005 American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting (E2197) and 2005 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (E1199). AECOM faculty provided scientific leadership in the breast (J. Sparano), gastrointestinal (L. Rajdev), leukemia (R. Gallagher, A. Melnick, A. Verma), lymphoma (J. Sparano), head/neck (M. Haigentz), developmental therapeutics (S. Mani), and thoracic committees (S. Keller, R. Perez-Soler). Moreover, AECOM faculty have played key roles in supporting ECOG's translational research, as evidenced by Dr. Robert Gallagher's role as a promeylocytic leukemia core laboratory director (NIH 5RO1-CA65771), and the recent recruitment of Dr. Ari Melnick to serve as chair of the Leukemia Laboratory Committee. During the next funding period, AECOM investigators will play key roles as study chairs or co-chairs for studies in breast (TAILORx, E1104) and gastrointestinal (E3205, E3206) cancers, and leukemia (E1905). The principal investigator of this application (J. Sparano) also plays a key administrative role in ECOG as an ECOG Executive Committee member, ECOG Associate Chair for Disease and Modality Research, and founder and program director for the annual ECOG Young Investigator Symposium. Approximately 70% of patients enrolled on ECOG studies are minorities, evidence of an effective program for recruitment of minority subjects. Finally, the recent creation of the Montefiore-Einstein Cancer Center Network (MECCN) is projected to result in up to a 50% increase in accrual during the next funding period by facilitating the participation of AECOM-affiliated community physicians.
Funding Period: 1978-06-01 - 2010-04-30
more information: NIH RePORT
- A phase II trial of trastuzumab plus weekly ixabepilone and carboplatin in patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group TrialStacy Moulder
Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1155 Pressler Street, Unit 1354, P O Box 301438, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:663-71. 2010..Weekly ixabepilone and carboplatin plus trastuzumab have an acceptable toxicity profile, but are not likely to be associated with an RR of 75% in HER2+ MBC. Efficacy appears comparable to paclitaxel, carboplatin, and trastuzumab...
- Adult patients with acute myeloid leukemia who achieve complete remission after 1 or 2 cycles of induction have a similar prognosis: a report on 1980 patients registered to 6 studies conducted by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupJacob M Rowe
Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Rambam Medical Center and Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Cancer 116:5012-21. 2010....
- Relationship between quantitative GRB7 RNA expression and recurrence after adjuvant anthracycline chemotherapy in triple-negative breast cancerJoseph A Sparano
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:7194-203. 2011..To conduct an exploratory analysis of the relationship between gene expression and recurrence in patients with operable triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) treated with adjuvant doxorubicin-containing chemotherapy...
- Prognostic implications of additional chromosome abnormalities among patients with de novo acute promyelocytic leukemia with t(15;17)Peter H Wiernik
Continuum Cancer Centers of New York at St Lukes, Roosevelt and Beth Israel Medical Centers, Roosevelt Hospital Center, Ste 11C 02, 1000 10th Ave, New York, NY 10019, USA
Med Oncol 29:2095-101. 2012This retrospective study performed by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group and the Southwest Oncology Group enrolled 140 acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) patients with t(15;17) to determine the influence of additional karyotypic ..
- Phase II study of interleukin-4 in indolent B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma and B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E5Y92)Peter H Wiernik
New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
J Immunother 33:1006-9. 2010..8 months. Toxicity was generally mild with no grade 4 nonhematologic toxicity observed. Recombinant IL-4 treatment was well tolerated in this study but had minimal antitumor activity...
- Zosuquidar, a novel modulator of P-glycoprotein, does not improve the outcome of older patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group 3999Larry D Cripe
Indiana University Simon Cancer Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Blood 116:4077-85. 2010..high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome enrolled in a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind trial (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group 3999)...
- Phase II trial of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin plus docetaxel with and without trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial E3198Antonio C Wolff
The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231 1000, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 121:111-20. 2010..In conclusion, concurrent administration of trastuzumab with PLD-docetaxel was not associated with higher risk of cardiac toxicity compared with PLD-docetaxel alone, but led to excessive hand-foot syndrome...
- Failure of three novel regimens to improve outcome for patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia: a report from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupMark R Litzow
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Br J Haematol 148:217-25. 2010..We conclude that none of these three regimens were effective enough in the treatment of high-risk relapsed or refractory AML to warrant further study. This trial was registered at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00005962...
- Phase II study of erlotinib in patients with locally advanced or metastatic papillary histology renal cell cancer: SWOG S0317Michael S Gordon
Premiere Oncology of Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ 85260, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:5788-93. 2009..In this trial, we evaluated the efficacy of erlotinib, an oral epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitor in patients with advanced pRCC, a tumor type associated with wild-type von Hippel Lindau gene...
- Radiation therapy compared with chemotherapy for consolidation of chemotherapy-induced remission of advanced Hodgkin lymphoma: a study by the Eastern Co-operative Oncology Group (E1476) with >20 years follow-upPeter H Wiernik
Montefiore Medical Center North Division, Cancer Center, New York Medical College, Bronx, NY 10466, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 50:1632-41. 2009..002). Treatment toxicity was acceptable. After MOPP-Bleo induction for advanced Hodgkin lymphoma, ABVD provides better consolidation than local RT...
- Concurrent doxorubicin plus docetaxel is not more effective than concurrent doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide in operable breast cancer with 0 to 3 positive axillary nodes: North American Breast Cancer Intergroup Trial E 2197Lori J Goldstein
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4092-9. 2008..The purpose of this trial was to determine whether adjuvant AT improved disease-free survival compared with AC in operable breast cancer...
- Weekly paclitaxel in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancerJoseph A Sparano
Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 358:1663-71. 2008..We compared the efficacy of two different taxanes, docetaxel and paclitaxel, given either weekly or every 3 weeks, in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancer...
- Induction of adaptive Anti-HER2/neu immune responses in a Phase 1B/2 trial of 2B1 bispecific murine monoclonal antibody in metastatic breast cancer (E3194): a trial coordinated by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupHossein Borghaei
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Immunother 30:455-67. 2007..Here, we report the results of E3194, a phase 1B/2 trial conducted by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group that employed 2B1 therapy in 20 women with metastatic breast cancer. The median age was 51 years...
- A phase II trial of arsenic trioxide for relapsed and refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemiaMark R Litzow
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Haematologica 91:1105-8. 2006..One patient died of an infection. There were no responses. Ten patients have died. The median survival was 3.2 months (range 1.2-4.1). We conclude that AT is not active in the treatment of ALL...
- Phase II study of mitomycin-C, adriamycin, cisplatin (MAP) and Bleomycin-CCNU in patients with advanced cancer of the anal canal: An eastern cooperative oncology group study E7282Minaxi Jhawer
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, Weiler Hospital, Room 2S 49, 1825 Eastchester Road, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Invest New Drugs 24:447-54. 2006..This regimen and sequence is worthy of further study especially in combination with colony stimulating factors, however, its tolerability may be most applicable for patients who have had minimal prior therapy...
- Mitoxantrone, vinblastine and CCNU: long-term follow-up of patients treated for advanced and poor-prognosis Hodgkin's diseaseDoru T Alexandrescu
Comprehensive Cancer Center, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, New York Medical College, NY 10446, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 47:641-56. 2006..Although significant, the toxicities associated with this regimen were manageable...
- Plasma matrix metalloproteinases 7 and 9 in patients with metastatic breast cancer treated with marimastat or placebo: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial E2196Stanley Zucker
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, NY State University Hospital of New York, Stony Brook, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 6:525-9. 2006....
- Phase II study of all-trans retinoic acid in the accelerated phase or early blastic phase of chronic myeloid leukemia: a study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E1993)Janice P Dutcher
Albert Einstein College NY, Bronx, NY, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 46:377-85. 2005..Combination therapy with other differentiating agents may be useful in this disease...