Nutritional antecedents of chronic diseases and disorders in low-income populatio
Principal Investigator: Kathryn G Dewey
Abstract: DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): UC Davis Program in International and Community Nutrition Proposal Chronic and Non-communicable Diseases Across the Lifespan Training Award: "Nutritional antecedents of chronic diseases and disorders in low-income populations" The objective of the proposed training program is to strengthen and sustain the capability of three developing countries (Ghana, Malawi and Bangladesh) to conduct research on maternal and child health and nutrition issues and their relation to non-communicable diseases across the lifespan, and to apply this knowledge to improve health and other functional outcomes in low-income populations. This will be accomplished through 1) pre-doctoral training leading to a PhD in Nutritional Biology or Epidemiology for 6 students from the three partner countries, 2) medium-term (6 month) training at UC Davis for selected candidates from the three partner countries, 3) short courses within each of the three partner courses, and 4) collaborative research projects, including one-time research support for new PhDs at the time of reentry into their home countries. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The proposed training grant will increase the number of well-trained investigators with the knowledge and skills to initiate and conduct rigorous research on the nutritional antecedents of chronic diseases and disorders in low-income populations. This program will help to fill a critical need for qualified scientists who are able to investigate the relationships between nutrition in early life and non-communicable diseases across the lifespan, and to apply this knowledge to improve long-term health and other functional outcomes in low-income populations.
Funding Period: 2012-07-30 - 2016-02-28
more information: NIH RePORT
- Center for Novel Therapeutics for HIV-Associated Cognitive DisordersJustin C McArthur; Fiscal Year: 2013..5. To identify and validate surrogate biomarkers based on proteomics and lipomics. ..
- Harvard Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer CenterFrank B Hu; Fiscal Year: 2013..By leveraging multiple areas of expertise and different resources within and across TREC centers, we can help further build a unique national resource of energetics and cancer knowledge. ..
- UCLA OLDER AMERICANS INDEPENDENCE CENTERDavid B Reuben; Fiscal Year: 2013..By focusin efforts and resources through the OAIC, the timeline for research to develop, test, and disseminate promising innovations to maintain independence can be accelerated. ..
- Promoting Independence Through Pain and Symptom ManagementAlbert L Siu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed Center will bridge geriatrics and palliative care and serve as a model for a new focused area of research within geriatrics. ..
- STUDIES OF JOINT AGING AND OSTEOARTHRITISMartin K Lotz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sah) will analyze biomechanical mechanisms of early and advanced cartilage degeneration and determine consequences for chondrocyte function and survival. ..
- Rush Center for Urban Health EquityLynda H Powell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Funding is now sought to bring these resources together to establish a unique center of excellence in health disparities interventions. ..
- COBRE Center for Central Nervous System FunctionJerome N Sanes; Fiscal Year: 2013..The COBRE Center will leverage the administrative resources available through the Brown Institute for Brain Science to ensure efficient operation and coordinate with other brain science research activities at Brown. ..
- UAB Public Health / Biomedical Research Training ProgramPAULINE EVADNE JOLLY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The program will help to provide a solid cadre of research personnel that will contribute to alleviating the disparities in health experienced by people in developing countries and underrepresented minorities in the U.S. ..
- Jules Stein Eye Institute Core Grant for Vision ResearchWayne L Hubbell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Support in the form of the Core grant is requested to maintain these Modules through instrument service contracts, and to provide necessary personnel support to assist and train users and provide routine maintenance. ..
- Penn TREC Survivor CenterKathryn H Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Lifespan/Tufts/Brown Center for AIDS Research (CFAR)CHARLES CJ CARPENTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- University of California Global Health Institute Program for Fellows and ScholarsSteffanie A Strathdee; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., UCGHI, CTSAs, CFARs and Research eXchange consortia);and an innovative mentoring initiative. ..
- Vanderbilt-Emory-Cornell-Duke Consortium for Global Health Fellows (VECDor)Sten H Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON CENTER FOR AIDS RESEARCHKing K Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2013..The CFAR will support and provide added value for future local, national and international HIV/AIDS research priorities. ..
- UCLA CENTER FOR AIDS RESEARCH (CFAR)Jerome A Zack; Fiscal Year: 2013..Inclusion of this resource will be highly beneficial to clinical, behavioral and basic science studies. ..
- MICHIGAN CENTER ON THE DEMOGRAPHY OF AGINGJohn Bound; Fiscal Year: 2013..Under Core F, we propose to continue in our role as Coordinating Center for the P30 demography centers program. ..