Multilevel &Lifecourse Approaches to NCD Prevention in Latin America
Principal Investigator: Eduardo Villamor
Abstract: DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The overall aim of this proposal is to strengthen the capacity of Latin American countries to address the non- communicable diseases (NCD) epidemic through a comprehensive training program that integrates multilevel and life course approaches and emphasizes the importance of reducing social inequalities in NCD. Although the training will be relevant to NCD generally, the program will especially emphasize cardiovascular disease and associated risk factors which are of relevance to many other NCDs. This approach is responsive to an analysis of the gaps in NCD research-related skills in the region which include 1) lack of formal training opportunities, 2) heterogeneity in NCD research experience, 3) a dearth of mentors at the local level, 4) high potential for developing a cadre of highly trained leaders in prevention of NCD through the lifespan. We propose to establish partnerships with two research sites in Latin America, the Institute of Nutrition for Central America and Panama (INCAP) in Guatemala, and the National University of Lanus, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Our strategies for achieving the proposed goal focus on developing a multidisciplinary program that provides training opportunities for junior investigators from the region in the short, medium, and long terms, both at the sites and at the University of Michigan. We will combine in-person activities with distant learning state-of-the-art technologies to produce learning material that will be shared and disseminated. The program opportunities at the sites include a workshops series on NCD research through the lifespan, locally-organized webinars, journal clubs, and post-training mentored research. At the University of Michigan, the program entails provision of full support for master's and doctoral training, short-term summer internships, and medium- term post-doctoral fellowships. All research derived from this program will be conducted at the sites. This integrated program will enhance research and training collaborations between the local sites with the ultimate goals of developing a network of synergistic NCD training and research centers in Latin America, and to strengthen local institutional capacity to conduct local training programs and lead research efforts.
Funding Period: 2012-07-16 - 2017-02-28
more information: NIH RePORT
- NCMHD Health Disparities Research Center of Excellence at MeharryPaul D Juarez; Fiscal Year: 2013..5: To develop an administrative infrastructure that supports inter-institutional community participation in health disparities research across the three institutions. ..
- Capacity Building for Lifespan Focused Substance Use Disorder Research in UkraineROBERT ALPERT ZUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Chicago D-CFARAlan L Landay; Fiscal Year: 2013..Judith Levy and Robert Bailey). We will actively promote research in: HIV and Women (Ms. Kathleen Weber);HIV and Aging (Dr. Pauline Maki) and Drug Abuse and HIV (Dr. Celeste Napier). ..
- Southeast Regional Centers of Excellence for Biodefense &Emerging Infectious DiPhilip Frederick Sparling; Fiscal Year: 2013..SERCEB brings new investigators to the biodefense effort through a combination of educational programs, support of innovative new projects, and the synergistic interactions among its world-class investigators. ..
- Research to control and eliminate malaria in SE Asia and SW PacificJAMES WALTER KAZURA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Synergy among the ICEMR projects and cores and incorporation ICEMR findings into national programs will help answer unresolved key issues related to malaria control and elimination locally and in the SE Asia region. ..
- Novel Methods to Assess the Effects of Chemicals on Child DevelopmentSusan L Schantz; Fiscal Year: 2013..This Center's research will fill an important gap in our knowledge by investigating the effects of these chemicals, both alone and combination with a high fat diet on reproductive and neural development. ..
- Southern California Children's Enviromental Health Center (SC-CEHC)Rob S McConnell; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Harvard Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer CenterFrank B Hu; Fiscal Year: 2013..By leveraging multiple areas of expertise and different resources within and across TREC centers, we can help further build a unique national resource of energetics and cancer knowledge. ..
- University of Rochester Center for AIDS ResearchStephen Dewhurst; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, Aim 5 will stimulate communication and engagement with the full range of communities that the UR CFAR serves. ..
- Center for Enviromental Health in Northern ManahattanRegina M Santella; Fiscal Year: 2013..An Executive Committee helps the Director administer the program while two Advisory Committees provide additional guidance. ..
- Center for Environmental GeneticsShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, these aims are achieved through financial awards, mentorship, access to core resources and other career development activities. ..
- Intense Validation of a Mathematical Model of Herpes Simplex Virus-2 PathogenesisJOSHUA TISDELL SCHIFFER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of our current funding application is to validate the model's initial prediction and parameter estimates with intensive clinical sampling of study subjects, and individualized laboratory verification of model parameters. ..
- DIABETES AND ENDOCRINOLOGY RESEARCH CENTERDomenico Accili; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- JHU-UMD Diabetes Research CenterFredric E Wondisford; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Enrichment Program will facilitate the interaction within and between Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland. ..
- Northeast Biodefense CenterW Ian Lipkin; Fiscal Year: 2013..As a Center based in a School of Public Health and a State Department of Health, the NBC has a firm commitment to and practical understanding of Emergency Preparedness. ..
- Semi-volatile PCBs: Sources, Exposures, ToxicitiesLarry W Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..These data and dietary studies in the last Aim will provide a scientific basis for risk assessment and advice for stakeholders with the ultimate goal to protect highly-exposed individuals and populations. ..
- University of Pennsylvania Diabetes Research CenterMitchell A Lazar; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- VCU NIMHD Comprehensive Center of ExcellenceJerome F Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- VIRAL INFECTION INFLUENCE ON TRANSPLANTATION TOLERANCEDALE LESLIE GREINER; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work will identify how infection during transplantation may affect the host immune system and ultimate fate of the graft. ..
- UCLA CENTER FOR AIDS RESEARCH (CFAR)Jerome A Zack; Fiscal Year: 2013..Inclusion of this resource will be highly beneficial to clinical, behavioral and basic science studies. ..