Argentine Doctoral Training in Implementation Research across the Lifespan
Principal Investigator: Pierre Buekens
Abstract: DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The main objective of this program is to provide doctoral training in implementation research in Argentina, thereby building a sustainable, in-country doctoral program allowing Argentine researchers to become successful independent investigators. Implementation research evaluates approaches to implement evidence-based interventions, and hence to improve the quality and effectiveness of health care. Implementation research includes the use of randomized controlled trials and rigorous operational research to evaluate the effectiveness of interventions designed to promote the uptake of research findings into routine healthcare. It also includes a multi-disciplinary approach to understand the determinants of non-communicable diseases and the cultural, socio-economic, and behavioral barriers to implementation of effective interventions. Our approach starts in the pre-conceptional period and includes the entire lifespan. This will be accomplished via a "sandwich PhD program," which will offer doctoral training to qualified candidates who have graduated from the master's program at the Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy (IECS) in Buenos Aires, Argentina or from equivalent programs. During Years 1-3 of the program, candidates will enroll in the PhD program at the University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine and will complete their first year of coursework at the Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. During Years 4 and 5 of the program, trainees will only spend one semester at Tulane and will then take new courses to be developed at IECS during the following semester. This will be a step toward the progressive transfer of the entire program to Argentina. The training in implementation research will be focused on two areas of strength at IECS and at Tulane University: maternal and child health and cardiovascular health, linking them in a lifespan approach. After completing the program, trainees will be offered positions and opportunities to collaborate with IECS in ongoing research activities, especially those related to NIH-funded projects. They will also have opportunities to teach PhD students in Argentina.
Funding Period: 2012-08-15 - 2016-02-28
more information: NIH RePORT
- Referral Center-Animal models of human genetic diseaseMark E Haskins; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Comprehensive Approach for Hypertension Prevention and Control in ArgentinaJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Notch-Mediated Expansion of Cord Blood Progenitors for Stem Cell TransplantColleen Delaney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our goal is to now determine the clinical efficacy of this approach in a phase II clinical trial. ..
- Boston Puerto Rican Health Study - CVD Risk FactorsKatherine L Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Rush Center for Urban Health EquityLynda H Powell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Funding is now sought to bring these resources together to establish a unique center of excellence in health disparities interventions. ..
- Case GI SPORESanford D Markowitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..The strength of these investigators and the resources at their disposal will ensure this program leads to important advances. ..
- Eliminating Health Disparities Through Multi-Trans-Disciplinary ApproachesMARINELLE PAYTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Most significantly, the Center will enhance the quality and quantity of research on minority health and health disparities, provide high quality research career development training, and strengthen community ties. ..
- Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention, and EducationJeffrey L Levin; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Center's impact will be expanded by a Feasibilty program that augments the proposed scope of work and is responsive to emerging issues. ..
- Harvard Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer CenterFrank B Hu; Fiscal Year: 2013..By leveraging multiple areas of expertise and different resources within and across TREC centers, we can help further build a unique national resource of energetics and cancer knowledge. ..
- Center of Excellence for Health Disparties in the Nation's CapitalPHYLLIS R MAGRAB; Fiscal Year: 2013..The important cross-cutting objectives of Cultural Competence intersect with each of these areas. ..
- Superfund Metal Mixtures, Biomarkers and NeurodevelopmentDavid C Bellinger; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 4- To promote rapid dissemination of significant research findings;and Aim 5- Compliance- To ensure compliance with NIH requirements for data and resource-sharing and the human and animal institutional review board requirements ..
- Health Disparities Research at SIRC: Cultural Processes in Risk and ResiliencyFlavio Francisco Marsiglia; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Claude D. Pepper OAICMiriam C Morey; Fiscal Year: 2013..A Leadership and Administrative Core will direct and coordinate OAIC activities to ensure continued integration of center activities. ..
- Center for Research to Evaluate &Eliminate Dental DisparitiesRaul I Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- COBRE Center for Central Nervous System FunctionJerome N Sanes; Fiscal Year: 2013..The COBRE Center will leverage the administrative resources available through the Brown Institute for Brain Science to ensure efficient operation and coordinate with other brain science research activities at Brown. ..
- Hopkins Center for Eliminate Cardiovascular Health DisparitiesLisa A Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..