Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: zic1
Description: zic family member 1 (odd-paired homolog, Drosophila)
Alias: opl, wu:fj51c06, zgc:136736, zinc finger protein ZIC 1, zinc finger protein of the cerebellum 1
- Keller M, Chitnis A. Insights into the evolutionary history of the vertebrate zic3 locus from a teleost-specific zic6 gene in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:541-7 pubmedThe Zic gene family of zinc-finger transcription factors includes five orthologues, zic1-5, that are common to the Euteleostian vertebrates (fish, frogs, birds, and mammals)...
- Ding Y, Xi Y, Chen T, Wang J, Tao D, Wu Z, et al. Caprin-2 enhances canonical Wnt signaling through regulating LRP5/6 phosphorylation. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:865-72 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Caprin-2 promotes activation of the canonical Wnt signaling pathway by regulating LRP5/6 phosphorylation. ..
- Chaplin N, Tendeng C, Wingate R. Absence of an external germinal layer in zebrafish and shark reveals a distinct, anamniote ground plan of cerebellum development. J Neurosci. 2010;30:3048-57 pubmed publisher..We show that these anamniotes share a common ground plan of granule cell production that does not include an external germinal layer. ..
- SAGERSTROM C, Gammill L, Veale R, Sive H. Specification of the enveloping layer and lack of autoneuralization in zebrafish embryonic explants. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:85-97 pubmed..Zebrafish early gastrula ectodermal explants are specified to express the neural markers opl (zic1) and otx2, and this expression is prevented by BMP4...
- Kim H, Lee M, Jeong Y, Ro H, Kim D, Shin Y, et al. Ottogi Inhibits Wnt/?-catenin Signaling by Regulating Cell Membrane Trafficking of Frizzled8. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13278 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that OTG functions as a novel negative regulator of Wnt signaling during development by the modulation of cell surface expression of Fz receptor. ..
- Kim J, Chun H, Kim S, Kim H, Kim Y, Kim M, et al. Normal forebrain development may require continual Wnt antagonism until mid-somitogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:717-21 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that normal forebrain development requires continual Wnt antagonism from the early gastrula to the mid-somitogenesis stage. ..
- Sassa T, Aizawa H, Okamoto H. Visualization of two distinct classes of neurons by gad2 and zic1 promoter/enhancer elements in the dorsal hindbrain of developing zebrafish reveals neuronal connectivity related to the auditory and lateral line systems. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:706-18 pubmed..sequences) system in combination with the promoter/enhancer regions of gad2 for the Gad1/2(+) neurons and zic1 for the zn-5(+)Lhx2/9(+) neurons...
- Varga Z, Wegner J, Westerfield M. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development. 1999;126:5533-46 pubmed..Our results indicate that movement of a median subpopulation of diencephalic precursors separates retinal precursors into left and right eyes. Wild-type cyclops gene function is required for these morphogenetic movements. ..
- Coyle R, Latimer A, Jessen J. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates cell migration during zebrafish gastrulation: evidence for an interaction with non-canonical Wnt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2150-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the notion that pathways regulating pericellular proteolysis and cell polarity converge to promote efficient cell migration. ..
- Pei W, Noushmehr H, Costa J, Ouspenskaia M, Elkahloun A, Feldman B. An early requirement for maternal FoxH1 during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:10-22 pubmed..Our studies thus point to an essential role for maternal FoxH1 and downstream keratins during gastrulation that is epistatic to Nodal signaling. ..
- Hu C, Tseng C, Chien C, Huang H, Ku W, Lee S, et al. Quantitative proteomics reveals diverse roles of miR-148a from gastric cancer progression to neurological development. J Proteome Res. 2013;12:3993-4004 pubmed publisher..These results provided important insight into the regulation of neurological development elicited by miR-148a. ..
- Ohtsuka M, Kikuchi N, Ozato K, Inoko H, Kimura M. Comparative analysis of a 229-kb medaka genomic region, containing the zic1 and zic4 genes, with Fugu, human, and mouse. Genomics. 2004;83:1063-71 pubmed..Sequence comparisons of developmental genes zic1 and zic4, identified within this region, revealed that zic1, but not zic4, is highly conserved among vertebrates...
- Ramel M, Buckles G, Lekven A. Conservation of structure and functional divergence of duplicated Wnt8s in pufferfish. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:441-8 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that zebrafish (and possibly teleost in general) Wnt8 receptors are able to discriminate between highly related ligands...
- Meng F, Braasch I, Phillips J, Lin X, Titus T, Zhang C, et al. Evolution of the eye transcriptome under constant darkness in Sinocyclocheilus cavefish. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:1527-43 pubmed publisher..These results show that the independent evolution of retinal degeneration in cavefish can occur by different developmental genetic mechanisms. ..
- Stanton S, McReynolds L, Evans T, Schreiber Agus N. Yaf2 inhibits caspase 8-mediated apoptosis and regulates cell survival during zebrafish embryogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:28782-93 pubmed..Our findings implicate Yaf2 as a survival factor during early zebrafish development and organogenesis. This may suggest that Yaf2 and Rybp can encode opposing functions in the regulation of apoptosis. ..
- Xie X, Liu J, Hu B, Xiao W. Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24469 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis. ..
- Jessen J, Topczewski J, Bingham S, Sepich D, Marlow F, Chandrasekhar A, et al. Zebrafish trilobite identifies new roles for Strabismus in gastrulation and neuronal movements. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:610-5 pubmed..We propose Trilobite/Stbm mediates cellular interactions that confer directionality on distinct movements during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Hu Z, Zhang J, Zhang Q. Expression pattern and functions of autophagy-related gene atg5 in zebrafish organogenesis. Autophagy. 2011;7:1514-27 pubmed..2, pink1, ?-synuclein, xb51 and zic1. We further demonstrated that ATG5 protein is involved in autophagy by LC3-II/LC3I ratio and rapamycin-induction ..
- Formstone C, Mason I. Combinatorial activity of Flamingo proteins directs convergence and extension within the early zebrafish embryo via the planar cell polarity pathway. Dev Biol. 2005;282:320-35 pubmed..However, while we show that control over axial extension is autonomous, we find that Fmi1a is not required within lateral cells undergoing dorsal convergence. ..
- Thorpe C, Moon R. nemo-like kinase is an essential co-activator of Wnt signaling during early zebrafish development. Development. 2004;131:2899-909 pubmed..Additionally, nlk strongly enhances convergent/extension phenotypes associated with wnt11/silberblick, suggesting a role in modulating cell movements as well as cell fate. ..
- Toyama R, Gomez D, Mana M, Dawid I. Sequence relationships and expression patterns of zebrafish zic2 and zic5 genes. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:345-50 pubmed..A zic2.2 ortholog has not been identified in other vertebrate species, suggesting that the zic2.1/zic2.2 pair resulted from a genome duplication event during the evolution of the zebrafish lineage. ..
- Rohrschneider M, Elsen G, Prince V. Zebrafish Hoxb1a regulates multiple downstream genes including prickle1b. Dev Biol. 2007;309:358-72 pubmed..Using morpholino knock-down and cell transplantation, we demonstrate that the Hoxb1a target Prickle1b functions cell-autonomously to control facial neuron migration, a single aspect of r4 identity. ..
- Londin E, Niemiec J, Sirotkin H. Chordin, FGF signaling, and mesodermal factors cooperate in zebrafish neural induction. Dev Biol. 2005;279:1-19 pubmed..Our results support a model in which specification of anterior neural tissue requires early FGF-mediated repression of BMP transcript levels and later activities of Chordin and mesodermal factors. ..
- Kawakami A, Nojima Y, Toyoda A, Takahoko M, Satoh M, Tanaka H, et al. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol. 2005;15:480-8 pubmed..We further show that Bmp activity can be attenuated by the coexpression of Scube2. Our data support the idea that Scube2 can modulate the long-range action of Bmp-dependent signaling in the neural tube and somites. ..
- Li Z, Nie F, Wang S, Li L. Histone H4 Lys 20 monomethylation by histone methylase SET8 mediates Wnt target gene activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:3116-23 pubmed publisher..Our findings also indicate that H4K20me-1 is a marker for gene transcription activation, at least in canonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Hauptmann G, Söll I, Gerster T. The early embryonic zebrafish forebrain is subdivided into molecularly distinct transverse and longitudinal domains. Brain Res Bull. 2002;57:371-5 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a series of eight transverse diencephalic domains which may indicate a prosomeric organization of the rostral zebrafish brain. ..
- Li S, Liu W, Li Z, Li W, Wang Y, Zhou L, et al. greb1 regulates convergent extension movement and pituitary development in zebrafish. Gene. 2017;627:176-187 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our present study indicates that greb1 is a novel regulator for CE movement and pituitary development in zebrafish. ..
- Grinblat Y, Gamse J, Patel M, Sive H. Determination of the zebrafish forebrain: induction and patterning. Development. 1998;125:4403-16 pubmed..In order to study these events, we isolated zebrafish homologs of two neural markers, odd-paired-like (opl), which encodes a zinc finger protein, and fkh5, which encodes a forkhead domain protein...
- Grinblat Y, Sive H. zic Gene expression marks anteroposterior pattern in the presumptive neurectoderm of the zebrafish gastrula. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:688-93 pubmed..These data show an early subdivision of the A/P axis in the presumptive neurectoderm. ..
- Clements W, Kimelman D. LZIC regulates neuronal survival during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2005;283:322-34 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, despite this high similarity, LZIC does not interact with beta-catenin in vitro or in vivo. Our results reveal that LZIC, a protein conserved in vertebrates, is required for neuronal survival in zebrafish...
- Lu F, Sun Y, Wei C, Thisse C, Thisse B. Tissue-specific derepression of TCF/LEF controls the activity of the Wnt/Î²-catenin pathway. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5368 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel level of regulation of the canonical Wnt/Î²-catenin signalling pathway occurring in the nucleus and involving tissue-specific derepression of TCF by Lbx2. ..
- Liu J, Zhang D, Xie X, Ouyang G, Liu X, Sun Y, et al. Eaf1 and Eaf2 negatively regulate canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling. Development. 2013;140:1067-78 pubmed publisher..In summary, our evidence points to a novel role for Eaf1 and Eaf2 in inhibiting canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling, which might form the mechanistic basis for Eaf1 and Eaf2 tumor suppressor activity. ..
- Williams B, Cantrell V, Mundell N, Bennett A, Quick R, Jessen J. VANGL2 regulates membrane trafficking of MMP14 to control cell polarity and migration. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2141-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings implicate matrix metalloproteinases as downstream effectors of PCP and suggest a broadly applicable mechanism whereby VANGL2 affects diverse morphogenetic processes. ..
- Drummond D, Cheng C, Selland L, Hocking J, Prichard L, Waskiewicz A. The role of Zic transcription factors in regulating hindbrain retinoic acid signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2013;13:31 pubmed publisher..Zic transcription factors function in patterning hindbrain motor neurons through their regulation of embryonic retinoic acid signaling. ..
- Ghiselli G, Farber S. D-glucuronyl C5-epimerase acts in dorso-ventral axis formation in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2005;5:19 pubmed..In particular Glce acts during gastrulation by affecting Bmp-mediated cell specification. The results obtained further corroborate the concept that HS encodes information that affect morphogenesis during early vertebrate development. ..
- McCollum C, Amin S, Pauerstein P, Lane M. A zebrafish LMO4 ortholog limits the size of the forebrain and eyes through negative regulation of six3b and rx3. Dev Biol. 2007;309:373-85 pubmed..We propose that lmo4b has an essential role in forebrain development as a modulator of six3 and rx3 expression, and thus indirectly influences neural cell fate commitment, cell proliferation and tissue growth in the anterior CNS. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Aspöck G, Burdine R, Schier A, Westerfield M, et al. pitx3 defines an equivalence domain for lens and anterior pituitary placode. Development. 2005;132:1579-90 pubmed..During mid-somitogenesis, Hedgehog then acts on the established median placode as a necessary and sufficient signal to specify pituitary cell types. ..
- Paulus J, Halloran M. Zebrafish bashful/laminin-alpha 1 mutants exhibit multiple axon guidance defects. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:213-24 pubmed..In contrast to CNS axons, most peripheral axons appear normal in bal mutants. Our results, thus, reveal important and diverse functions for laminin-alpha1 in guiding developing axons in vivo. ..