Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: wnt8b
Description: wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 8b
Alias: wnt-8b, protein Wnt-8b
- Carl M, Bianco I, Bajoghli B, Aghaallaei N, Czerny T, Wilson S. Wnt/Axin1/beta-catenin signaling regulates asymmetric nodal activation, elaboration, and concordance of CNS asymmetries. Neuron. 2007;55:393-405 pubmed..We identify a second role for the Wnt pathway in the left/right regulation of LPM Nodal pathway gene expression, and finally, we show that at later stages Axin1 is required for the elaboration of concordant neuroanatomical asymmetries. ..
- Peng G, Westerfield M. Lhx5 promotes forebrain development and activates transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. Development. 2006;133:3191-200 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Lhx5 is a required factor that promotes forebrain development and inhibits Wnt signaling by activating the transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. ..
- Scholpp S, Delogu A, Gilthorpe J, Peukert D, Schindler S, Lumsden A. Her6 regulates the neurogenetic gradient and neuronal identity in the thalamus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:19895-900 pubmed publisher..Thus, the presence or absence of a single upstream regulator of proneural gene expression, Her6, leads to the establishment of discrete neuronal domains in the thalamus. ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Scholpp S, Foucher I, Staudt N, Peukert D, Lumsden A, Houart C. Otx1l, Otx2 and Irx1b establish and position the ZLI in the diencephalon. Development. 2007;134:3167-76 pubmed..We therefore propose that the ZLI is induced within the competence area established by Otx1l/2, and is posteriorly restricted by Irx1b. ..
- Riley B, Chiang M, Storch E, Heck R, Buckles G, Lekven A. Rhombomere boundaries are Wnt signaling centers that regulate metameric patterning in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:278-91 pubmed..Several wnt genes (wnt1, wnt3a, wnt8b, and wnt10b) show elevated expression at rhombomere boundaries, whereas several delta genes (dlA, dlB, and dlD) ..
- Houart C, Caneparo L, Heisenberg C, Barth K, Take uchi M, Wilson S. Establishment of the telencephalon during gastrulation by local antagonism of Wnt signaling. Neuron. 2002;35:255-65 pubmed..Moreover, abrogation of Tlc function compromises telencephalic development. We also identify Wnt8b as a locally acting modulator of regional fate in the anterior neural plate and a likely target for antagonism by ..
- Kim S, Shin J, Park H, Yeo S, Hong S, Han S, et al. Specification of an anterior neuroectoderm patterning by Frizzled8a-mediated Wnt8b signalling during late gastrulation in zebrafish. Development. 2002;129:4443-55 pubmed..We have investigated the role of Fz8a-mediated Wnt8b signalling in anterior brain patterning in zebrafish...
- Danesin C, Peres J, Johansson M, Snowden V, Cording A, Papalopulu N, et al. Integration of telencephalic Wnt and hedgehog signaling center activities by Foxg1. Dev Cell. 2009;16:576-87 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings identify a key direct target of Foxg1, and uncover a simple molecular mechanism by which Foxg1 integrates two opposing signaling centers. ..
- Russek Blum N, Gutnick A, Nabel Rosen H, Blechman J, Staudt N, Dorsky R, et al. Dopaminergic neuronal cluster size is determined during early forebrain patterning. Development. 2008;135:3401-13 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrated that Wnt8b is a modulator of DA cell number that acts through the Fz8a (Fzd8a) receptor and its downstream effector Lef1, and ..
- Shima T, Znosko W, Tsang M. The characterization of a zebrafish mid-hindbrain mutant, mid-hindbrain gone (mgo). Dev Dyn. 2009;238:899-907 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that the mgo mutation genetically interacts with pax2a required for the initiation of MHB formation. ..
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..We show that rhombomere 5 wnt8b expression is absent in both RA-signaling-depleted embryos and in fgf3;tcf2 double mutants, and inactivation of ..
- Kim H, Shin J, Kim S, Chun H, Kim J, Kim Y, et al. Eye field requires the function of Sfrp1 as a Wnt antagonist. Neurosci Lett. 2007;414:26-9 pubmed..Its overexpression restored the eye defects in the Wnt8b-overexpressing embryos, but not in the LiCl-treated embryos...
- Hong S, Dawid I. The transcriptional mediator component Med12 is required for hindbrain boundary formation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19076 pubmed publisher..The kto/med12 mutation results in specific defects of boundary cell formation in the zebrafish hindbrain. ..
- Holly V, Widen S, Famulski J, Waskiewicz A. Sfrp1a and Sfrp5 function as positive regulators of Wnt and BMP signaling during early retinal development. Dev Biol. 2014;388:192-204 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of a low dose of sfrp5 mRNA causes an increase in dorsal retina marker gene expression. We propose a model in which Sfrp proteins function as facilitators of both BMP and Wnt signaling within the dorsal retina. ..
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..Furthermore, we find that this process is dependent on Wnt8b, a ligand of the canonical pathway expressed in the posterior hypothalamus, and that both Wnt8b and Lef1 act to ..
- Dixon Fox M, Bruce A. Short- and long-range functions of Goosecoid in zebrafish axis formation are independent of Chordin, Noggin 1 and Follistatin-like 1b. Development. 2009;136:1675-85 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Gsc has dose dependent effects on axis induction and provide new insights into molecularly distinct short- and long-range signaling activities of the organizer. ..
- Eroglu B, Wang G, Tu N, Sun X, Mivechi N. Critical role of Brg1 member of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex during neurogenesis and neural crest induction in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2722-35 pubmed..This is exhibited by the aberrant brain patterning, a reduction in the sensory neurons, and craniofacial defects. These results further elucidate the critical role for Brg1 in neurogenesis, neural crest induction, and differentiation. ..
- Kapsimali M, Caneparo L, Houart C, Wilson S. Inhibition of Wnt/Axin/beta-catenin pathway activity promotes ventral CNS midline tissue to adopt hypothalamic rather than floorplate identity. Development. 2004;131:5923-33 pubmed
- Nambiar R, Henion P. Sequential antagonism of early and late Wnt-signaling by zebrafish colgate promotes dorsal and anterior fates. Dev Biol. 2004;267:165-80 pubmed..neuroectoderm posterioriorization phenotype is selectively rescued by morpholino-mediated inactivation of Wnt8b. These results suggest that col-mediated antagonism of early and late Wnt-signaling activity during gastrulation ..
- Zhao X, Kuja Panula J, Rouhiainen A, Chen Y, Panula P, Rauvala H. High mobility group box-1 (HMGB1; amphoterin) is required for zebrafish brain development. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:23200-13 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that HMGB1 is a critical factor for brain development, enabling survival and proliferation of neural progenitors that will form the forebrain structures. ..
- Patil P, Kibiryeva N, Uechi T, Marshall J, O Brien J, Artman M, et al. scaRNAs regulate splicing and vertebrate heart development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1852:1619-29 pubmed publisher..Our findings represent a new paradigm for determining the mechanisms underlying congenital cardiac malformations. ..
- Matsui T, Raya A, Kawakami Y, Callol Massot C, Capdevila J, Rodriguez Esteban C, et al. Noncanonical Wnt signaling regulates midline convergence of organ primordia during zebrafish development. Genes Dev. 2005;19:164-75 pubmed..Overall, our results uncover a late, previously unexpected role of noncanonical Wnt signaling in the control of midline assembly of organ precursors during vertebrate embryo development. ..
- Lu F, Sun Y, Wei C, Thisse C, Thisse B. Tissue-specific derepression of TCF/LEF controls the activity of the Wnt/?-catenin pathway. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5368 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel level of regulation of the canonical Wnt/?-catenin signalling pathway occurring in the nucleus and involving tissue-specific derepression of TCF by Lbx2. ..
- Correa R, Matsui T, Tergaonkar V, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J, Verma I. Zebrafish IkappaB kinase 1 negatively regulates NF-kappaB activity. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1291-5 pubmed..Here, we report that Ikk1 negatively regulates NF-kappaB by sequestering NEMO from active IKK complexes, indicating that IKK1 can function as a repressor of NF-kappaB. ..
- Schubert M, Holland L, Panopoulou G, Lehrach H, Holland N. Characterization of amphioxus AmphiWnt8: insights into the evolution of patterning of the embryonic dorsoventral axis. Evol Dev. 2000;2:85-92 pubmed..Wnt8 subfamily gene in an ancestral chordate duplicated early in vertebrate evolution into a Wnt8 clade and a Wnt8b clade...
- Staudt N, Houart C. The prethalamus is established during gastrulation and influences diencephalic regionalization. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e69 pubmed..This cell-non-autonomous property led us to propose that these committed prethalamic precursors may play an instructive role in the regionalization of the developing diencephalon. ..
- Cavodeassi F, Carreira Barbosa F, Young R, Concha M, Allende M, Houart C, et al. Early stages of zebrafish eye formation require the coordinated activity of Wnt11, Fz5, and the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. Neuron. 2005;47:43-56 pubmed..Wnt/beta-catenin signaling antagonizes eye specification through the activity of Wnt8b and Fz8a...
- Dirian L, Galant S, Coolen M, Chen W, Bedu S, Houart C, et al. Spatial regionalization and heterochrony in the formation of adult pallial neural stem cells. Dev Cell. 2014;30:123-36 pubmed publisher..This dual origin of the pallial germinal zone allows the temporally organized building of pallial territories as a patchwork of juxtaposed compartments. ..
- Kagermeier Schenk B, Wehner D, Ozhan Kizil G, Yamamoto H, Li J, Kirchner K, et al. Waif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1129-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Waif1 modulates pathway selection in Wnt-receiving cells. ..
- Duncan R, Panahi S, Piotrowski T, Dorsky R. Identification of Wnt Genes Expressed in Neural Progenitor Zones during Zebrafish Brain Development. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0145810 pubmed publisher..Our data identify 12 specific ligands that can now be tested using loss-of-function approaches. ..
- Thorpe C, Moon R. nemo-like kinase is an essential co-activator of Wnt signaling during early zebrafish development. Development. 2004;131:2899-909 pubmed..mesoderm formation in conjunction with wnt8, and in patterning of the midbrain, possibly functioning with wnt8b. In both instances, nlk appears to function as a positive regulator of Wnt signaling...
- Mattes B, Weber S, Peres J, Chen Q, Davidson G, Houart C, et al. Wnt3 and Wnt3a are required for induction of the mid-diencephalic organizer in the caudal forebrain. Neural Dev. 2012;7:12 pubmed publisher..We propose that Wnt ligands are necessary to maintain the primordial tissue of the organizer during somitogenesis by suppressing Tp53-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Carlin D, Sepich D, Grover V, Cooper M, Solnica Krezel L, Inbal A. Six3 cooperates with Hedgehog signaling to specify ventral telencephalon by promoting early expression of Foxg1a and repressing Wnt signaling. Development. 2012;139:2614-24 pubmed publisher..We further find that Six3 promotes ventral telencephalic fates through transient regulation of foxg1a expression and repression of the Wnt/?-catenin pathway. ..
- Yee N, Zhou W, Liang I. Transient receptor potential ion channel Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic epithelial proliferation by Mg2+-sensitive Socs3a signaling in development and cancer. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:240-54 pubmed publisher..Results of this study indicate that Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic development via the Mg(2+)-sensitive Socs3a pathway, and suggest that aberrant TRPM7-mediated signaling contributes to pancreatic carcinogenesis. ..
- Hashimoto H, Itoh M, Yamanaka Y, Yamashita S, Shimizu T, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Zebrafish Dkk1 functions in forebrain specification and axial mesendoderm formation. Dev Biol. 2000;217:138-52 pubmed..These data indicate that Dkk1, expressed in dorsal mesendoderm, functions in the formation of both the anterior nervous system and the axial mesendoderm in zebrafish. ..
- Paridaen J, Danesin C, Elas A, van de Water S, Houart C, Zivkovic D. Apc1 is required for maintenance of local brain organizers and dorsal midbrain survival. Dev Biol. 2009;331:101-12 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Apc1-mediated restriction of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling is required for maintenance of local organizers and tectal integrity. ..
- Hofmeister W, Key B. Frizzled-3a and Wnt-8b genetically interact during forebrain commissural formation in embryonic zebrafish. Brain Res. 2013;1506:25-34 pubmed publisher..We now show that Wnt8b is also necessary for anterior commissural formation as well as for patterning of slit2 expression at the midline...