Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vox
Description: ventral homeobox
Alias: vega1, zgc:136532, ventral homeobox
- Kumari P, Gilligan P, Lim S, Tran L, Winkler S, Philp R, et al. An essential role for maternal control of Nodal signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00683 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ybx1 prevents ectopic Nodal activity, revealing a new paradigm in the regulation of Nodal signaling, which is likely to be conserved. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00683.001. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed..from the organizer, the paraxial domain is the result of axial-derived anti-Wnt signals, which relieve the repression that otherwise is set by the Wnt8/beta-catenin/vox,vent pathway on latent germ-ring Nodal/FGF-activated expression.
- Shimizu T, Yamanaka Y, Nojima H, Yabe T, Hibi M, Hirano T. A novel repressor-type homeobox gene, ved, is involved in dharma/bozozok-mediated dorsal organizer formation in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:125-38 pubmed..and the expression of organizer genes but led to the dorsal expansion of expression of the homeobox gene vox/vega1, indicating that Dha/Boz functions as a transcriptional repressor for dorsal axis formation...
- Imai Y, Gates M, Melby A, Kimelman D, Schier A, Talbot W. The homeobox genes vox and vent are redundant repressors of dorsal fates in zebrafish. Development. 2001;128:2407-20 pubmed..While the zebrafish genes vox (vega1) and vent (vega2) both have ventralizing activity in overexpression assays, loss-of-function studies are needed to ..
- Moreno Ayala R, Schnabel D, Salas Vidal E, LomelÃ H. PIAS-like protein Zimp7 is required for the restriction of the zebrafish organizer and mesoderm development. Dev Biol. 2015;403:89-100 pubmed publisher..as bozozok, goosecoid and floating head at the onset of gastrulation and by down-regulation of the ventral markers vox, vent and eve1 indicating loss of the ventrolateral mesoderm...
- Guo L, Yamashita H, Kou I, Takimoto A, Meguro Horike M, Horike S, et al. Functional Investigation of a Non-coding Variant Associated with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis in Zebrafish: Elevated Expression of the Ladybird Homeobox Gene Causes Body Axis Deformation. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005802 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study presents a novel pathological feature of LBX1 and its zebrafish homologs in body axis deformation at various stages of embryonic and subsequent growth in zebrafish. ..
- Pshennikova E, Voronina A. The proteins of Vent-family and their mRNAs are located in different areas of the tails of Zebrafish and Xenopus embryos. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016;79:388-392 pubmed publisher..Although the Xvent-2 mRNA of Xenopus and Vox mRNA of Zebrafish embryos were detected in the tips of the tails, the Xvent-2 and Vox proteins were revealed in ..
- Mishima Y, Tomari Y. Pervasive yet nonuniform contributions of Dcp2 and Cnot7 to maternal mRNA clearance in zebrafish. Genes Cells. 2017;22:670-678 pubmed publisher..Our results show pervasive yet nonuniform contributions of the decapping enzyme Dcp2 and the deadenylase Cnot7 to maternal mRNA clearance. ..
- Shi W, Chen X, Wang F, Gao M, Yang Y, Du Z, et al. ZDHHC16 modulates FGF/ERK dependent proliferation of neural stem/progenitor cells in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:1014-28 pubmed publisher..2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 76: 1014-1028, 2016. ..
- Cao J, Li S, Zhang H, Shi D. High mobility group B proteins regulate mesoderm formation and dorsoventral patterning during zebrafish and Xenopus early development. Mech Dev. 2012;129:263-74 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest that hmgb genes may function to fine-tune the specification and/or dorsoventral patterning of mesoderm during zebrafish and Xenopus development. ..
- Xie X, Liu J, Hu B, Xiao W. Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24469 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis. ..
- Li D, Sun H, Deng W, Tao D, Liu Y, Ma Y. Zili antagonizes Bmp signaling to regulate dorsal-ventral patterning during zebrafish early embryogenesis. Zoolog Sci. 2011;28:397-402 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, overexpression of zili produced opposite effects. In conclusion, our results indicate that zili regulates dorsal-ventral patterning by antagonizing Bmp signaling during early embryogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- Gilardelli C, Pozzoli O, Sordino P, Matassi G, Cotelli F. Functional and hierarchical interactions among zebrafish vox/vent homeobox genes. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:494-508 pubmed..In Danio rerio (zebrafish), members of the vox/vent gene family (vox/vega1, vent/vega2, and ved) are thought to share expression patterns and functional properties...
- Jurynec M, Grunwald D. SHIP2, a factor associated with diet-induced obesity and insulin sensitivity, attenuates FGF signaling in vivo. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:733-42 pubmed publisher..We suggest that modulation of FGF signaling may be a principal function of SHIP2 in mammals. ..
- Pyati U, Cooper M, Davidson A, Nechiporuk A, Kimelman D. Sustained Bmp signaling is essential for cloaca development in zebrafish. Development. 2006;133:2275-84 pubmed..Furthermore, our data suggest that alterations in Bmp signaling are one possible cause of anorectal malformations during human embryogenesis...
- Joseph S, PÃ¡lfy M, Hilbert L, Kumar M, Karschau J, Zaburdaev V, et al. Competition between histone and transcription factor binding regulates the onset of transcription in zebrafish embryos. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the relative levels of histones and transcription factors regulate the onset of transcription in the embryo. ..
- Bree R, McLoughlin S, Jin S, McMeel O, Stainier D, Grealy M, et al. nanor, a novel zygotic gene, is expressed initially at the midblastula transition in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;333:722-8 pubmed..It is initially expressed after the MBT at the sphere stage and during epiboly it is expressed in the forerunner cells. At 24 h post-fertilization, expression is solely anterior. ..
- Lin X, Rinaldo L, Fazly A, Xu X. Depletion of Med10 enhances Wnt and suppresses Nodal signaling during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;303:536-48 pubmed..Thus, Med10 appears to be a unique MED subunit that differentially transduces information from distinct signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Veil M, Schaechtle M, Gao M, Kirner V, Buryanova L, Grethen R, et al. Maternal Nanog is required for zebrafish embryo architecture and for cell viability during gastrulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..Nanog is necessary for correct spatial expression of the ventral-specifying genes bmp2b, vox and vent, and the neural transcription factor her3 It is also required for the correctly timed ..
- Kenyon E, Campos I, Bull J, Williams P, Stemple D, Clark M. Zebrafish Rab5 proteins and a role for Rab5ab in nodal signalling. Dev Biol. 2015;397:212-24 pubmed publisher..We conclude that rab5ab is essential for nodal signalling and organizer specification in the developing zebrafish embryo. ..
- Feng L, Jiang H, Wu P, Marlow F. Negative feedback regulation of Wnt signaling via N-linked fucosylation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;395:268-86 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Wnt limits its own signaling activity in part via up-regulation of a transporter, slc35c1 that promotes terminal fucosylation and thereby limits Wnt activity. ..
- Kapp L, Abrams E, Marlow F, Mullins M. The integrator complex subunit 6 (Ints6) confines the dorsal organizer in vertebrate embryogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003822 pubmed publisher..organizer genes, embryos from mutant mothers fail to maintain expression of BMP ligands, fail to fully express vox and ved, two mediators of Wnt8a, display delayed cell movements during gastrulation, and severe dorsalization...
- Leichsenring M, Maes J, Mössner R, Driever W, Onichtchouk D. Pou5f1 transcription factor controls zygotic gene activation in vertebrates. Science. 2013;341:1005-9 pubmed publisher..Our data position Pou5f1 and SOX-POU sites at the center of the zygotic gene activation network of vertebrates and provide a link between zygotic gene activation and pluripotency control. ..
- Seebald J, Szeto D. Zebrafish eve1 regulates the lateral and ventral fates of mesodermal progenitor cells at the onset of gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2011;349:78-89 pubmed publisher..in MPCs requires the redundant and cooperative functions of Bmp-activated downstream homeobox genes, ved, vent and vox. Inhibition of eve1, ved, vent and vox in double and triple combinations results in dorsalized phenotypes...
- Voronina A, Pshennikova E. The Vox mRNA and protein expression in zebrafish Pou5f3 MZspg mutant embryos. Stem Cell Investig. 2016;3:79 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor of pluripotency Pou5f3 is considered to enhance the Vox expression. This conclusion was based on the study of mRNA expression, but the expression of the Vent-family proteins was not analyzed...
- Mishima Y, Tomari Y. Codon Usage and 3' UTR Length Determine Maternal mRNA Stability in Zebrafish. Mol Cell. 2016;61:874-85 pubmed publisher..Our study thus highlights the codon-mediated mRNA decay as a conserved regulatory mechanism in eukaryotes. ..
- Zhao J, Lambert G, Meijer A, Rosa F. The transcription factor Vox represses endoderm development by interacting with Casanova and Pou2. Development. 2013;140:1090-9 pubmed publisher..Casanova regulators in zebrafish, we identified two of its binding partners as the transcription factors Pou2 and Vox, a member of the Vent group of proteins also involved in the patterning of the gastrula...
- Ye Z, Zhang C, Tu T, Sun M, Liu D, Lu D, et al. Wnt5a uses CD146 as a receptor to regulate cell motility and convergent extension. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2803 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a model in which CD146 acts as a functional Wnt5a receptor in regulating cell migration and convergent extension, turning off the canonical Wnt signalling branch. ..
- Wu S, Shin J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits ?-catenin during zebrafish axis formation. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001403 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3?-independent control mechanism of ?-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation. ..
- Schuff M, Siegel D, Philipp M, Bundschu K, Heymann N, Donow C, et al. Characterization of Danio rerio Nanog and functional comparison to Xenopus Vents. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:1225-38 pubmed publisher..Depletion of Nanog in zebrafish cannot be rescued by ectopic expression of Xvent, and Xvent depletion in Xenopus cannot be overcome by ectopic expression of zebrafish Nanog...
- Sidi S, Goutel C, Peyrieras N, Rosa F. Maternal induction of ventral fate by zebrafish radar. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3315-20 pubmed..They might further indicate that maternal TGF-betaRdr and WntCa(2+) pathways complementarily specify ventral cell fates, with the former triggering bmps expression and the latter indirectly repressing genes encoding BMP antagonists. ..
- Khan A, Nakamoto A, Okamoto S, Tai M, Nakayama Y, Kobayashi K, et al. Pou2, a class V POU-type transcription factor in zebrafish, regulates dorsoventral patterning and convergent extension movement at different blastula stages. Mech Dev. 2012;129:219-35 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrated that pou2 regulates DV patterning and CE movement in zebrafish embryos at the midblastula and late blastula stages, respectively...
- Gan X, Wang J, Xi Y, Wu Z, Li Y, Li L. Nuclear Dvl, c-Jun, beta-catenin, and TCF form a complex leading to stabilization of beta-catenin-TCF interaction. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:1087-100 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a mechanism by which nuclear Dvl cooperates with c-Jun to regulate gene transcription stimulated by the canonical Wnt signaling pathway. ..
- Ragland J, Raible D. Signals derived from the underlying mesoderm are dispensable for zebrafish neural crest induction. Dev Biol. 2004;276:16-30 pubmed
- Zhou F, Xie F, Jin K, Zhang Z, Clerici M, Gao R, et al. USP4 inhibits SMAD4 monoubiquitination and promotes activin and BMP signaling. EMBO J. 2017;36:1623-1639 pubmed publisher..Moreover, zebrafish depleted of USP4 exhibited defective cell migration and slower coordinated cell movement known as epiboly, both of which could be rescued by SMAD4. Therefore, USP4 is a critical determinant of SMAD4 activity. ..
- He Y, Xu X, Zhao S, Ma S, Sun L, Liu Z, et al. Maternal control of axial-paraxial mesoderm patterning via direct transcriptional repression in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;386:96-110 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that direct transcriptional repression of the decisive axial mesoderm gene by maternal ventralizing factor is a crucial regulatory mechanism of initiating axial-paraxial mesoderm patterning in vertebrates. ..
- Hurem S, Martín L, Brede D, Skjerve E, Nourizadeh Lillabadi R, Lind O, et al. Dose-dependent effects of gamma radiation on the early zebrafish development and gene expression. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179259 pubmed publisher..The present findings show that continuous gamma irradiation (? 0.54 mGy/h) during early gastrula causes gene expression changes that are linked to developmental defects in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Pshennikova E, Tereshina M, Voronina A. Expression of vox and vent mRNAs and encoded proteins in zebrafish embryos. Stem Cell Investig. 2017;4:60 pubmed publisherIn Danio rerio (zebrafish), members of the vent gene-family (vox/vega1, vent/vega2) are considered as ventralizing factors...
- Londin E, Niemiec J, Sirotkin H. Chordin, FGF signaling, and mesodermal factors cooperate in zebrafish neural induction. Dev Biol. 2005;279:1-19 pubmed..Our results support a model in which specification of anterior neural tissue requires early FGF-mediated repression of BMP transcript levels and later activities of Chordin and mesodermal factors. ..
- Fabian P, Pantzartzi C, Kozmikova I, Kozmik Z. vox homeobox gene: a novel regulator of midbrain-hindbrain boundary development in medaka fish?. Dev Genes Evol. 2016;226:99-107 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we show for the first time that vox, a member of the vent gene family, is expressed in the developing neural tube similarly to CNS markers...