Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vent
Description: ventral expressed homeobox
Alias: vega2, vent1, wu:fe36b11
- Repression of the vertebrate organizer by Wnt8 is mediated by Vent and VoxMarie Christine Ramel
Department of Biology, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3258, USA
Development 131:3991-4000. 2004..suggest that Wnt8 achieves this restriction by regulating the early expression of the transcriptional repressors Vent and Vox. Our data show that vent and vox are direct transcriptional targets of Wnt8/beta-catenin...
- WNT8 and BMP2B co-regulate non-axial mesoderm patterning during zebrafish gastrulationMarie Christine Ramel
Department of Biology, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3258, USA
Dev Biol 287:237-48. 2005..non-axial mesoderm into multiple D/V fate domains is known to involve zygotic Wnt8 and BMP signaling as well as the Vent/Vox/Ved family of transcriptional repressors, how levels of signaling activity are translated into differential ..
- A novel repressor-type homeobox gene, ved, is involved in dharma/bozozok-mediated dorsal organizer formation in zebrafishTakashi Shimizu
Department of Molecular Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Mech Dev 118:125-38. 2002..ved's sequence and expression profile were similar to those of vox/vega1 and vent/vega2. Like Vox/Vega1 and Vent/Vega2, Ved acted as a transcriptional repressor...
- Caveolin-1 regulates dorsoventral patterning through direct interaction with beta-catenin in zebrafishSaijun Mo
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Conservation of Aquatic Organism, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, Hubei 430072, PR China
Dev Biol 344:210-23. 2010..Thus, maternally expressed zebrafish Cav-1 regulates dorsoventral patterning by limiting nuclear translocation of active beta-catenin...
- Patterning the early zebrafish by the opposing actions of bozozok and vox/ventA E Melby
Department of Biochemistry and Center for Developmental Biology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7350, USA
Dev Biol 224:275-85. 2000..Both of the zebrafish genes, which we have named vox and vent, are potent ventralizing factors in both zebrafish and Xenopus embryos...
- Osteogenic transcription factor Runx2 is a maternal determinant of dorsoventral patterning in zebrafishMaria Vega C Flores
Department of Molecular Medicine and Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Nat Cell Biol 10:346-52. 2008..Among key zygotic ventralizing factors are the bone morphogenetic proteins (Bmps) and the Vent homeodomain family; the latter act as repressors of dorsal organizer gene transcription...
- Functional interaction of vega2 and goosecoid homeobox genes in zebrafishA Kawahara
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genesis 28:58-67. 2000..Here, we describe a novel Vega family homeobox gene, vega2. Expression of vega2 is initiated at the ventral blastoderm margin during blastula stages, and by gastrulation ..
- The homeobox genes vox and vent are redundant repressors of dorsal fates in zebrafishY Imai
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Development 128:2407-20. 2001..While the zebrafish genes vox (vega1) and vent (vega2) both have ventralizing activity in overexpression assays, loss-of-function studies are needed to determine ..
- G Protein-coupled receptor kinases phosphorylate LRP6 in the Wnt pathwayMinyong Chen
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 284:35040-8. 2009..knock-down, as assessed by decreased abundance of beta-catenin and lowered expression of the Wnt target genes cdx4, vent, and axin2. Expression of GRK5 rescues the diminished beta-catenin and axin2 response caused by GRK5 depletion...
- Zili inhibits transforming growth factor-beta signaling by interacting with Smad4Huaqin Sun
Department of Medical Genetics and Division of Morbid Genomics, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
J Biol Chem 285:4243-50. 2010..This work shows that zili plays a role in early embryogenesis beyond germ line as a novel negative regulator of TGF-beta signaling, extending the function of Piwi proteins in vertebrates...
- Organizer restriction through modulation of Bozozok stability by the E3 ubiquitin ligase Lnx-likeHyunju Ro
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 2425, USA
Nat Cell Biol 11:1121-7. 2009..These studies introduce a ubiquitin ligase, Lnx-l, as a balancing modulator of axial patterning in the zebrafish embryo...
- SHIP2, a factor associated with diet-induced obesity and insulin sensitivity, attenuates FGF signaling in vivoMichael J Jurynec
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Dis Model Mech 3:733-42. 2010..We suggest that modulation of FGF signaling may be a principal function of SHIP2 in mammals...
- A direct role for Wnt8 in ventrolateral mesoderm patterningKevin D Baker
Department of Biology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 3258, USA
Dev Dyn 239:2828-36. 2010..Thus, Wnt8 and BMP signaling have independent roles during vertebrate ventrolateral mesoderm development that can be identified through loss-of-function analysis...
- Zebrafish eve1 regulates the lateral and ventral fates of mesodermal progenitor cells at the onset of gastrulationJamie L Seebald
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, 915 W State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2054, USA
Dev Biol 349:78-89. 2011..of eve1 in MPCs requires the redundant and cooperative functions of Bmp-activated downstream homeobox genes, ved, vent and vox. Inhibition of eve1, ved, vent and vox in double and triple combinations results in dorsalized phenotypes...
- Conservation and diversification of an ancestral chordate gene regulatory network for dorsoventral patterningIryna Kozmikova
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Prague, Czech Republic
PLoS ONE 6:e14650. 2011..In the cephalochordate amphioxus, genes encoding Bmps and transcription factors downstream of Bmp signaling such as Vent are expressed in patterns reminiscent of those of their vertebrate orthologues...
- Pou5f1 contributes to dorsoventral patterning by positive regulation of vox and modulation of fgf8a expressionHeinz Georg Belting
Developmental Biology, Faculty of Biology, University of Freiburg, Hauptstrasse 1, Freiburg, Germany
Dev Biol 356:323-36. 2011..Our data reveals a set of direct and indirect interactions of Pou5f1 with the BMP dorsoventral patterning network that serve to fine-tune dorsoventral patterning mechanisms and coordinate patterning with developmental timing...
- Alpha2 macroglobulin-like is essential for liver development in zebrafishSung Kook Hong
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3736. 2008....
- Cystic kidney gene seahorse regulates cilia-mediated processes and Wnt pathwaysNorihito Kishimoto
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, NSB 393, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Dev Cell 14:954-61. 2008..Finally, we show that seahorse constrains the canonical Wnt pathway and promotes the noncanonical Wnt pathway during gastrulation. Together, these data suggest that Seahorse may provide a link between ciliary signals and Wnt pathways...
- Maternal induction of ventral fate by zebrafish radarSamuel Sidi
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U368, Ecole Normale Superieure, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3315-20. 2003..They might further indicate that maternal TGF-betaRdr and WntCa(2+) pathways complementarily specify ventral cell fates, with the former triggering bmps expression and the latter indirectly repressing genes encoding BMP antagonists...
- A role for MKP3 in axial patterning of the zebrafish embryoMichael Tsang
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 131:2769-79. 2004..Thus, mkp3 encodes a feedback attenuator of the FGF pathway, the expression of which is initiated at an early stage so as to ensure correct FGF signaling levels at the time of axial patterning...
- Functional and hierarchical interactions among zebrafish vox/vent homeobox genesClaudio N Gilardelli
Department of Biology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Dev Dyn 230:494-508. 2004..In Danio rerio (zebrafish), members of the vox/vent gene family (vox/vega1, vent/vega2, and ved) are thought to share expression patterns and functional properties...
- Signals derived from the underlying mesoderm are dispensable for zebrafish neural crest inductionJared W Ragland
Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7420, USA
Dev Biol 276:16-30. 2004....
- Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm developmentUjwal J Pyati
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7350, USA
Development 132:2333-43. 2005..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds...
- Depletion of Med10 enhances Wnt and suppresses Nodal signaling during zebrafish embryogenesisXueying Lin
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Dev Biol 303:536-48. 2007..Thus, Med10 appears to be a unique MED subunit that differentially transduces information from distinct signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis...
- Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3bStefan Hans
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
BMC Dev Biol 7:5. 2007..We previously suggested that Foxi1 and Dlx3b may provide competence to form the ear because loss of both foxi1 and dlx3b results in ablation of all otic tissue even in the presence of a fully functional Fgf signaling pathway...
- Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryoMáté Varga
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mech Dev 124:775-91. 2007..from the organizer, the paraxial domain is the result of axial-derived anti-Wnt signals, which relieve the repression that otherwise is set by the Wnt8/beta-catenin/vox,vent pathway on latent germ-ring Nodal/FGF-activated expression.
- smad2 and smad3 are required for mesendoderm induction by transforming growth factor-beta/nodal signals in zebrafishShunji Jia
Protein Science Laboratory of the Ministry of Education, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Biol Chem 283:2418-26. 2008..Thus, our data reveal that Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction depend on Smad2/3 and suggest that transforming growth factor-beta signals other than Nodal also contribute to Smad2/3 signaling and embryonic patterning...
- Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesisXun Wei Xie
Key Laboratory of Aquatic Biodiversity and Conservation, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e24469. 2011..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis...