Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vent
Description: ventral expressed homeobox
Alias: vega2, vent1, wu:fe36b11, homeobox protein VENTX
- Kagermeier Schenk B, Wehner D, Ozhan Kizil G, Yamamoto H, Li J, Kirchner K, et al. Waif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1129-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Waif1 modulates pathway selection in Wnt-receiving cells. ..
- Ramel M, Buckles G, Baker K, Lekven A. WNT8 and BMP2B co-regulate non-axial mesoderm patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2005;287:237-48 pubmed..non-axial mesoderm into multiple D/V fate domains is known to involve zygotic Wnt8 and BMP signaling as well as the Vent/Vox/Ved family of transcriptional repressors, how levels of signaling activity are translated into differential ..
- Wu S, Shin J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits ?-catenin during zebrafish axis formation. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001403 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3?-independent control mechanism of ?-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation. ..
- Schuff M, Siegel D, Philipp M, Bundschu K, Heymann N, Donow C, et al. Characterization of Danio rerio Nanog and functional comparison to Xenopus Vents. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:1225-38 pubmed publisher..The closest homologs of Nanog in Xenopus are the Vent proteins. We, therefore, investigated whether the Xvent genes might substitute for Nanog function in Xenopus...
- Ye Z, Zhang C, Tu T, Sun M, Liu D, Lu D, et al. Wnt5a uses CD146 as a receptor to regulate cell motility and convergent extension. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2803 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a model in which CD146 acts as a functional Wnt5a receptor in regulating cell migration and convergent extension, turning off the canonical Wnt signalling branch. ..
- Pshennikova E, Tereshina M, Voronina A. Expression of vox and vent mRNAs and encoded proteins in zebrafish embryos. Stem Cell Investig. 2017;4:60 pubmed publisherIn Danio rerio (zebrafish), members of the vent gene-family (vox/vega1, vent/vega2) are considered as ventralizing factors...
- Sidi S, Goutel C, Peyrieras N, Rosa F. Maternal induction of ventral fate by zebrafish radar. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3315-20 pubmed..They might further indicate that maternal TGF-betaRdr and WntCa(2+) pathways complementarily specify ventral cell fates, with the former triggering bmps expression and the latter indirectly repressing genes encoding BMP antagonists. ..
- He Y, Xu X, Zhao S, Ma S, Sun L, Liu Z, et al. Maternal control of axial-paraxial mesoderm patterning via direct transcriptional repression in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;386:96-110 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that direct transcriptional repression of the decisive axial mesoderm gene by maternal ventralizing factor is a crucial regulatory mechanism of initiating axial-paraxial mesoderm patterning in vertebrates. ..
- Kozmikova I, Smolikova J, Vlcek C, Kozmik Z. Conservation and diversification of an ancestral chordate gene regulatory network for dorsoventral patterning. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14650 pubmed publisher..In the cephalochordate amphioxus, genes encoding Bmps and transcription factors downstream of Bmp signaling such as Vent are expressed in patterns reminiscent of those of their vertebrate orthologues...
- Zhou F, Xie F, Jin K, Zhang Z, Clerici M, Gao R, et al. USP4 inhibits SMAD4 monoubiquitination and promotes activin and BMP signaling. EMBO J. 2017;36:1623-1639 pubmed publisher..Moreover, zebrafish depleted of USP4 exhibited defective cell migration and slower coordinated cell movement known as epiboly, both of which could be rescued by SMAD4. Therefore, USP4 is a critical determinant of SMAD4 activity. ..
- Zhao H, Wang W, Luo Z, Cao H, Shi Y. Overexpression of p204 leads to abnormal embryos and osteogenesis in zebrafish. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2011;3:115-24 pubmed..Furthermore, the expressions of some genes (vent, runx2b, osn) involved in dorsoventral patterning and osteogenesis were significantly upregulated after p204 ..
- Mo S, Wang L, Li Q, Li J, Li Y, Thannickal V, et al. Caveolin-1 regulates dorsoventral patterning through direct interaction with beta-catenin in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;344:210-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, maternally expressed zebrafish Cav-1 regulates dorsoventral patterning by limiting nuclear translocation of active beta-catenin. ..
- Ragland J, Raible D. Signals derived from the underlying mesoderm are dispensable for zebrafish neural crest induction. Dev Biol. 2004;276:16-30 pubmed
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed..from the organizer, the paraxial domain is the result of axial-derived anti-Wnt signals, which relieve the repression that otherwise is set by the Wnt8/beta-catenin/vox,vent pathway on latent germ-ring Nodal/FGF-activated expression.
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Kishimoto N, Cao Y, Park A, Sun Z. Cystic kidney gene seahorse regulates cilia-mediated processes and Wnt pathways. Dev Cell. 2008;14:954-61 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that seahorse constrains the canonical Wnt pathway and promotes the noncanonical Wnt pathway during gastrulation. Together, these data suggest that Seahorse may provide a link between ciliary signals and Wnt pathways. ..
- Young T, Poobalan Y, Tan E, Tao S, Ong S, Wehner P, et al. The PDZ domain protein Mcc is a novel effector of non-canonical Wnt signaling during convergence and extension in zebrafish. Development. 2014;141:3505-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results identify Mcc as a novel intracellular effector of non-canonical Wnt5b/Vangl2/Ror2 signaling during vertebrate gastrulation. ..
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Veil M, Schaechtle M, Gao M, Kirner V, Buryanova L, Grethen R, et al. Maternal Nanog is required for zebrafish embryo architecture and for cell viability during gastrulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..Nanog is necessary for correct spatial expression of the ventral-specifying genes bmp2b, vox and vent, and the neural transcription factor her3 It is also required for the correctly timed activation of ..
- Xu J, Zhang Q, Li X, Zhan S, Wang L, Chen D. The effects of copper oxide nanoparticles on dorsoventral patterning, convergent extension, and neural and cardiac development of zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;188:130-137 pubmed publisher..These findings indicated the CuO-NPs exert developmental toxicity. The present study evaluates the ecological and developmental toxicity, providing warnings about the application of CuO-NPs. ..
- Feng L, Jiang H, Wu P, Marlow F. Negative feedback regulation of Wnt signaling via N-linked fucosylation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;395:268-86 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Wnt limits its own signaling activity in part via up-regulation of a transporter, slc35c1 that promotes terminal fucosylation and thereby limits Wnt activity. ..
- Jia S, Dai F, Wu D, Lin X, Xing C, Xue Y, et al. Protein phosphatase 4 cooperates with Smads to promote BMP signaling in dorsoventral patterning of zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1065-78 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ppp4c is a critical positive regulator of BMP/Smad signaling during embryonic dorsoventral pattern formation in zebrafish. ..
- Zhao J, Lambert G, Meijer A, Rosa F. The transcription factor Vox represses endoderm development by interacting with Casanova and Pou2. Development. 2013;140:1090-9 pubmed publisher..in zebrafish, we identified two of its binding partners as the transcription factors Pou2 and Vox, a member of the Vent group of proteins also involved in the patterning of the gastrula...
- Rong X, Zhou Y, Liu Y, Zhao B, Wang B, Wang C, et al. Glutathione peroxidase 4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and regulates dorsal organizer formation in zebrafish embryos. Development. 2017;144:1687-1697 pubmed publisher..Our findings unravel GPX4 as a suppressor of Wnt/?-catenin signals, suggesting a possible relationship between the Wnt/?-catenin pathway and selenium via the association of Tcf/Lef family proteins with GPX4. ..
- Voronina A, Pshennikova E. The Vox mRNA and protein expression in zebrafish Pou5f3 MZspg mutant embryos. Stem Cell Investig. 2016;3:79 pubmed publisher..This conclusion was based on the study of mRNA expression, but the expression of the Vent-family proteins was not analyzed...
- Jurynec M, Grunwald D. SHIP2, a factor associated with diet-induced obesity and insulin sensitivity, attenuates FGF signaling in vivo. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:733-42 pubmed publisher..We suggest that modulation of FGF signaling may be a principal function of SHIP2 in mammals. ..
- Lin X, Rinaldo L, Fazly A, Xu X. Depletion of Med10 enhances Wnt and suppresses Nodal signaling during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;303:536-48 pubmed..Thus, Med10 appears to be a unique MED subunit that differentially transduces information from distinct signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Gilardelli C, Pozzoli O, Sordino P, Matassi G, Cotelli F. Functional and hierarchical interactions among zebrafish vox/vent homeobox genes. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:494-508 pubmed..In Danio rerio (zebrafish), members of the vox/vent gene family (vox/vega1, vent/vega2, and ved) are thought to share expression patterns and functional properties...
- Chen M, Philipp M, Wang J, Premont R, Garrison T, Caron M, et al. G Protein-coupled receptor kinases phosphorylate LRP6 in the Wnt pathway. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:35040-8 pubmed publisher..knock-down, as assessed by decreased abundance of beta-catenin and lowered expression of the Wnt target genes cdx4, vent, and axin2. Expression of GRK5 rescues the diminished beta-catenin and axin2 response caused by GRK5 depletion...
- Seebald J, Szeto D. Zebrafish eve1 regulates the lateral and ventral fates of mesodermal progenitor cells at the onset of gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2011;349:78-89 pubmed publisher..of eve1 in MPCs requires the redundant and cooperative functions of Bmp-activated downstream homeobox genes, ved, vent and vox. Inhibition of eve1, ved, vent and vox in double and triple combinations results in dorsalized phenotypes...
- Cao J, Li S, Zhang H, Shi D. High mobility group B proteins regulate mesoderm formation and dorsoventral patterning during zebrafish and Xenopus early development. Mech Dev. 2012;129:263-74 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest that hmgb genes may function to fine-tune the specification and/or dorsoventral patterning of mesoderm during zebrafish and Xenopus development. ..
- Shi W, Chen X, Wang F, Gao M, Yang Y, Du Z, et al. ZDHHC16 modulates FGF/ERK dependent proliferation of neural stem/progenitor cells in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:1014-28 pubmed publisher..2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 76: 1014-1028, 2016. ..
- Belting H, Wendik B, Lunde K, Leichsenring M, Mössner R, Driever W, et al. Pou5f1 contributes to dorsoventral patterning by positive regulation of vox and modulation of fgf8a expression. Dev Biol. 2011;356:323-36 pubmed publisher..Our data reveals a set of direct and indirect interactions of Pou5f1 with the BMP dorsoventral patterning network that serve to fine-tune dorsoventral patterning mechanisms and coordinate patterning with developmental timing. ..
- Li D, Sun H, Deng W, Tao D, Liu Y, Ma Y. Zili antagonizes Bmp signaling to regulate dorsal-ventral patterning during zebrafish early embryogenesis. Zoolog Sci. 2011;28:397-402 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, overexpression of zili produced opposite effects. In conclusion, our results indicate that zili regulates dorsal-ventral patterning by antagonizing Bmp signaling during early embryogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- Sun H, Li D, Chen S, Liu Y, Liao X, Deng W, et al. Zili inhibits transforming growth factor-beta signaling by interacting with Smad4. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4243-50 pubmed publisher..This work shows that zili plays a role in early embryogenesis beyond germ line as a novel negative regulator of TGF-beta signaling, extending the function of Piwi proteins in vertebrates. ..
- Moreno Ayala R, Schnabel D, Salas Vidal E, LomelÃ H. PIAS-like protein Zimp7 is required for the restriction of the zebrafish organizer and mesoderm development. Dev Biol. 2015;403:89-100 pubmed publisher..goosecoid and floating head at the onset of gastrulation and by down-regulation of the ventral markers vox, vent and eve1 indicating loss of the ventrolateral mesoderm...
- Rong X, Chen C, Zhou P, Zhou Y, Li Y, Lu L, et al. R-spondin 3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99514 pubmed publisher..Human RSPO3 has similar action when tested in zebrafish embryos. These results suggest that Rspo3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by negatively regulating the zygotic Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Xie X, Liu J, Hu B, Xiao W. Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24469 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. Alpha2 macroglobulin-like is essential for liver development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3736 pubmed publisher..This report on A2ML function in zebrafish development provides the first evidence for a specific role of an A2M family gene in liver formation during early embryogenesis in a vertebrate. ..
- Lim S, Kumari P, Gilligan P, Quach H, Mathavan S, Sampath K. Dorsal activity of maternal squint is mediated by a non-coding function of the RNA. Development. 2012;139:2903-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify new non-coding functions for the Nodal genes and support a model wherein sqt RNA acts as a scaffold to bind and deliver/sequester maternal factors to future embryonic dorsal. ..
- Jia S, Ren Z, Li X, Zheng Y, Meng A. smad2 and smad3 are required for mesendoderm induction by transforming growth factor-beta/nodal signals in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2418-26 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal that Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction depend on Smad2/3 and suggest that transforming growth factor-beta signals other than Nodal also contribute to Smad2/3 signaling and embryonic patterning. ..