Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vangl2
Description: VANGL planar cell polarity protein 2
Alias: stbm, tri, vang, vang-like protein 2, protein strabismus, protein trilobite, strabismus, trilobite, van Gogh-like protein 2, vang-like 2 (van gogh, Drosophila)
- Cui S, Capecci L, Matthews R. Disruption of planar cell polarity activity leads to developmental biliary defects. Dev Biol. 2011;351:229-41 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that PCP plays an important role in vertebrate biliary development, interacting with other factors known to be involved in biliary morphogenesis. ..
- Ulrich F, Krieg M, Schötz E, Link V, Castanon I, Schnabel V, et al. Wnt11 functions in gastrulation by controlling cell cohesion through Rab5c and E-cadherin. Dev Cell. 2005;9:555-64 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that Wnt11 controls tissue morphogenesis by modulating E-cadherin-mediated cell cohesion through Rab5c, a novel mechanism of Wnt signaling in gastrulation. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Concha M, Takeuchi M, Ueno N, Wilson S, Tada M. Prickle 1 regulates cell movements during gastrulation and neuronal migration in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4037-46 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that pk1 interacts genetically with trilobite (tri)/strabismus to mediate the caudally directed migration of cranial motor neurons and convergent extension...
- Wada H, Iwasaki M, Sato T, Masai I, Nishiwaki Y, Tanaka H, et al. Dual roles of zygotic and maternal Scribble1 in neural migration and convergent extension movements in zebrafish embryos. Development. 2005;132:2273-85 pubmed..Furthermore, we show a genetic interaction between scrb1 and trilobite(tri)/strabismus(stbm) in CE...
- Walsh G, Grant P, Morgan J, Moens C. Planar polarity pathway and Nance-Horan syndrome-like 1b have essential cell-autonomous functions in neuronal migration. Development. 2011;138:3033-42 pubmed publisher..that the first mode of migration requires the cell-autonomous functions of Nhsl1b and the PCP components Scrib and Vangl2 in addition to the non-autonomous functions of Scrib and Vangl2, which serve to polarize the epithelial cells in ..
- Park M, Moon R. The planar cell-polarity gene stbm regulates cell behaviour and cell fate in vertebrate embryos. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:20-5 pubmedThe gene strabismus (stbm)/Van Gogh (Vang) functions in the planar cell-polarity pathway in Drosophila...
- Bingham S, Higashijima S, Okamoto H, Chandrasekhar A. The Zebrafish trilobite gene is essential for tangential migration of branchiomotor neurons. Dev Biol. 2002;242:149-60 pubmed..We show here that mutations in zebrafish trilobite (tri) that affect gastrulation-associated cell movements also eliminate tangential migration of motor neurons in ..
- Heisenberg C, Tada M. Zebrafish gastrulation movements: bridging cell and developmental biology. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2002;13:471-9 pubmed..For instance, several mutants, including silberblick, knypek and trilobite, exhibit defects in morphogenesis during gastrulation...
- May Simera H, Kai M, Hernandez V, Osborn D, Tada M, Beales P. Bbs8, together with the planar cell polarity protein Vangl2, is required to establish left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;345:215-25 pubmed publisher..that Bbs8, a ciliary/basal body protein important for intraciliary/flagellar transport and the core PCP protein Vangl2 interact and are required for establishment and maintenance of left-right asymmetry during early embryogenesis in ..
- Ciruna B, Jenny A, Lee D, Mlodzik M, Schier A. Planar cell polarity signalling couples cell division and morphogenesis during neurulation. Nature. 2006;439:220-4 pubmed..Mouse and frog models for these birth defects have indicated that Van Gogh-like 2 (Vangl2, also known as Strabismus) and other components of planar cell polarity (PCP) signalling might control neurulation by promoting the ..
- Ross A, May Simera H, Eichers E, Kai M, Hill J, Jagger D, et al. Disruption of Bardet-Biedl syndrome ciliary proteins perturbs planar cell polarity in vertebrates. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1135-40 pubmed..Furthermore, we identify genetic interactions between BBS genes and a PCP gene in both mouse (Ltap, also called Vangl2) and zebrafish (vangl2)...
- Jessen J, Topczewski J, Bingham S, Sepich D, Marlow F, Chandrasekhar A, et al. Zebrafish trilobite identifies new roles for Strabismus in gastrulation and neuronal movements. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:610-5 pubmed..Here, we have used positional cloning to demonstrate that trilobite mutations disrupt the transmembrane protein Strabismus (Stbm)/Van Gogh (Vang), previously associated with planar cell polarity (PCP) in Drosophila melanogaster, ..
- Lopez Schier H, Hudspeth A. A two-step mechanism underlies the planar polarization of regenerating sensory hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18615-20 pubmed..By analyzing mutants lacking the planar-polarity determinant Vangl2, we ascertained that the uniaxial production of hair cells and the subsequent orientation of their hair bundles ..
- Sepich D, Myers D, Short R, Topczewski J, Marlow F, Solnica Krezel L. Role of the zebrafish trilobite locus in gastrulation movements of convergence and extension. Genesis. 2000;27:159-73 pubmed..Convergence and extension movements of lateral cells in trilobite mutants are normal during the gastrula period but reduced by early segmentation...
- Zhang Y, Wang L, Zhou W, Wang H, Zhang J, Deng S, et al. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2: a novel gene involved in zebrafish central nervous system development. Dev Biol. 2013;381:38-49 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Morpholino knockdown of ztfpi-2 resulted in upregulation of neuronal markers while downregulation of glial markers, providing evidence that the Notch pathway is probably involved in ztfpi-2-mediated CNS development. ..
- Reynolds A, McDearmid J, Lachance S, De Marco P, Merello E, Capra V, et al. VANGL1 rare variants associated with neural tube defects affect convergent extension in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2010;127:385-92 pubmed publisher..Knocking down the expression of tri, the ortholog of Vangl2, using an antisense morpholino (MO), as shown previously, led to a defective convergent extension (CE) manifested ..
- Williams B, Cantrell V, Mundell N, Bennett A, Quick R, Jessen J. VANGL2 regulates membrane trafficking of MMP14 to control cell polarity and migration. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2141-7 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that zebrafish trilobite/vangl2 mutant embryos exhibit increased Mmp14 activity and decreased ECM...
- Thorpe C, Moon R. nemo-like kinase is an essential co-activator of Wnt signaling during early zebrafish development. Development. 2004;131:2899-909 pubmed..Additionally, nlk strongly enhances convergent/extension phenotypes associated with wnt11/silberblick, suggesting a role in modulating cell movements as well as cell fate. ..
- Mirkovic I, Pylawka S, Hudspeth A. Rearrangements between differentiating hair cells coordinate planar polarity and the establishment of mirror symmetry in lateral-line neuromasts. Biol Open. 2012;1:498-505 pubmed publisher..Time-lapse imaging of trilobite mutants, which lack the core PCP constituent Vang-like protein 2 (Vangl2), shows that their misoriented hair ..
- Panizzi J, Jessen J, Drummond I, Solnica Krezel L. New functions for a vertebrate Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor in ciliated epithelia. Development. 2007;134:921-31 pubmed..Our studies in zebrafish embryos have identified new, essential roles for this RhoGEF in ciliated epithelia during vertebrate development...
- Tawk M, Araya C, Lyons D, Reugels A, Girdler G, Bayley P, et al. A mirror-symmetric cell division that orchestrates neuroepithelial morphogenesis. Nature. 2007;446:797-800 pubmed
- Patil P, Kibiryeva N, Uechi T, Marshall J, O Brien J, Artman M, et al. scaRNAs regulate splicing and vertebrate heart development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1852:1619-29 pubmed publisher..Our findings represent a new paradigm for determining the mechanisms underlying congenital cardiac malformations. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Kajita M, Kajita M, Morel V, Wada H, Okamoto H, et al. Flamingo regulates epiboly and convergence/extension movements through cell cohesive and signalling functions during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2009;136:383-92 pubmed publisher..Fmi/Celsr therefore has a dual role in mediating two separate morphogenetic movements through its roles in mediating cell cohesion and Wnt/PCP signalling during zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- Cheng X, Shao M, Li J, Wang Y, Qi J, Xu Z, et al. Leucine repeat adaptor protein 1 interacts with Dishevelled to regulate gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1353 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that Lurap1 functions to regulate cellular polarisation and motile behaviours during gastrulation movements. ..
- Stemple D, Solnica Krezel L, Zwartkruis F, Neuhauss S, Schier A, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting development of the notochord in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:117-28 pubmed
- Young T, Poobalan Y, Tan E, Tao S, Ong S, Wehner P, et al. The PDZ domain protein Mcc is a novel effector of non-canonical Wnt signaling during convergence and extension in zebrafish. Development. 2014;141:3505-16 pubmed publisher..Wnt signaling pathway, including Wnt5b and the transmembrane planar cell polarity (PCP) protein Vangl2. However, the intracellular events downstream of Wnt/PCP signals are not fully understood...
- Fong S, Emelyanov A, Teh C, Korzh V. Wnt signalling mediated by Tbx2b regulates cell migration during formation of the neural plate. Development. 2005;132:3587-96 pubmed..The exclusion of cells lacking T-box proteins in chimeras during development was demonstrated with other T-box genes and may indicate a general functional mechanism for T-box proteins. ..
- Coyle R, Latimer A, Jessen J. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates cell migration during zebrafish gastrulation: evidence for an interaction with non-canonical Wnt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2150-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the notion that pathways regulating pericellular proteolysis and cell polarity converge to promote efficient cell migration. ..
- Davey C, Mathewson A, Moens C. PCP Signaling between Migrating Neurons and their Planar-Polarized Neuroepithelial Environment Controls Filopodial Dynamics and Directional Migration. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005934 pubmed publisher..Correspondingly, we demonstrate planar polarized localization of PCP core components Vangl2 and Fzd3a in the hindbrain neuroepithelium, and transient localization of Vangl2 at the tips of retracting FBMN ..
- Snelson C, Santhakumar K, Halpern M, Gamse J. Tbx2b is required for the development of the parapineal organ. Development. 2008;135:1693-702 pubmed publisher..We conclude that tbx2b functions to specify the correct number of parapineal cells and to regulate their asymmetric migration. ..
- Vervenne H, Crombez K, Lambaerts K, Carvalho L, Köppen M, Heisenberg C, et al. Lpp is involved in Wnt/PCP signaling and acts together with Scrib to mediate convergence and extension movements during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2008;320:267-77 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that Lpp interacts with the PCP protein Scrib in zebrafish, and that Lpp and Scrib cooperate for the mediation of C&E. ..
- Sittaramane V, Pan X, Glasco D, Huang P, Gurung S, Bock A, et al. The PCP protein Vangl2 regulates migration of hindbrain motor neurons by acting in floor plate cells, and independently of cilia function. Dev Biol. 2013;382:400-12 pubmed publisherb>Vangl2, a core component of the Planar Cell Polarity pathway, is necessary for the caudal migration of Facial Branchiomotor (FBM) neurons in the vertebrate hindbrain...
- Beis D, Stainier D. In vivo cell biology: following the zebrafish trend. Trends Cell Biol. 2006;16:105-12 pubmed..Although this model system has been predominantly appreciated for its amenability to forward genetics, current advances in imaging technology and an increasing number of transgenic lines are bringing it closer to its full potential. ..
- Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, Mountcastle Shah E, Rangini Z, Neuhauss S, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting cell fates and cellular rearrangements during gastrulation in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:67-80 pubmed..These mutations provide an approach to understanding the genetic control of gastrulation in vertebrates. ..
- Song P, Dudinsky L, Fogerty J, Gaivin R, Perkins B. Arl13b Interacts With Vangl2 to Regulate Cilia and Photoreceptor Outer Segment Length in Zebrafish. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:4517-26 pubmed publisher..for retinal degeneration and for epistatic relationships with the planar cell polarity protein (PCP) component vangl2. Photoreceptor and cilia structure was examined by light and electron microscopy...
- Dohn M, Mundell N, Sawyer L, Dunlap J, Jessen J. Planar cell polarity proteins differentially regulate extracellular matrix organization and assembly during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2013;383:39-51 pubmed publisher..showed that zebrafish embryos carrying a null mutation in the four-pass transmembrane PCP protein vang-like 2 (vangl2) exhibit increased matrix metalloproteinase activity and decreased immunolabeling of fibronectin...
- Li S, Esterberg R, Lachance V, Ren D, Radde Gallwitz K, Chi F, et al. Rack1 is required for Vangl2 membrane localization and planar cell polarity signaling while attenuating canonical Wnt activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2264-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the identification of Rack1 as an interacting protein of a vertebrate Vang protein, Vangl2. We demonstrate that Rack1 is required in zebrafish for PCP-regulated processes, including oriented cell division, ..
- Zhao C, Malicki J. Nephrocystins and MKS proteins interact with IFT particle and facilitate transport of selected ciliary cargos. EMBO J. 2011;30:2532-44 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a molecular mechanism that mediates the transport of selected ciliary cargos and is of fundamental importance for the differentiation and survival of sensory cells. ..
- Yin C, Kiskowski M, Pouille P, Farge E, Solnica Krezel L. Cooperation of polarized cell intercalations drives convergence and extension of presomitic mesoderm during zebrafish gastrulation. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:221-32 pubmed publisher..Radial intercalations preferentially separate anterior and posterior neighbors to promote extension. In knypek;trilobite noncanonical Wnt mutants, the frequencies of cell intercalations are altered and the anteroposterior bias of ..
- Matthews H, Marchant L, Carmona Fontaine C, Kuriyama S, Larraín J, Holt M, et al. Directional migration of neural crest cells in vivo is regulated by Syndecan-4/Rac1 and non-canonical Wnt signaling/RhoA. Development. 2008;135:1771-80 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that RhoA inhibits Rac in NC cells. We present a model in which Syn4 and PCP control directional NC migration by, at least in part, regulating membrane protrusions through the regulation of small GTPase activities. ..
- Yin C, Solnica Krezel L. Convergence and extension movements affect dynamic notochord-somite interactions essential for zebrafish slow muscle morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2742-56 pubmed..In zebrafish knypek;trilobite non-canonical Wnt mutants, defective C&E movements cause misshapen somites and reduction of slow muscle ..
- Takamiya M, Campos Ortega J. Hedgehog signalling controls zebrafish neural keel morphogenesis via its level-dependent effects on neurogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:978-97 pubmed..phenotypes and compared this with the deficient phenotype of a planar cell polarity (PCP) molecule, Trilobite/Strabismus. We found that Hh signalling controls cell elongation polarity of the neuroepithelium at least in part by means ..
- Miyagi C, Yamashita S, Ohba Y, Yoshizaki H, Matsuda M, Hirano T. STAT3 noncell-autonomously controls planar cell polarity during zebrafish convergence and extension. J Cell Biol. 2004;166:975-81 pubmed..resulting in severe cell polarization defects in convergence and extension movements identical to Strabismus-depleted embryos...
- Bubenshchikova E, Ichimura K, Fukuyo Y, Powell R, Hsu C, Morrical S, et al. Wtip and Vangl2 are required for mitotic spindle orientation and cloaca morphogenesis. Biol Open. 2012;1:588-96 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that loss of Wtip function phenocopies Vangl2 loss of function, a core planar cell polarity (PCP) protein located in the basal body protein...
- Heisenberg C, Tada M. Wnt signalling: a moving picture emerges from van gogh. Curr Biol. 2002;12:R126-8 pubmedRecent studies on vertebrate homologues of the van gogh/strabismus (vang/stbm) gene, a key player in planar cell polarity signalling in Drosophila, show that vang/stbm is involved in patterning and morphogenesis during vertebrate ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Pelegri F, Mullins M, Kane D, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Mutations affecting morphogenesis during gastrulation and tail formation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:143-51 pubmed..Two genes are required for convergence and extension movements. In mutant trilobite embryos, extension movements on the dorsal side of the embryo are affected, whereas in the formerly described ..
- Roszko I, S Sepich D, Jessen J, Chandrasekhar A, Solnica Krezel L. A dynamic intracellular distribution of Vangl2 accompanies cell polarization during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2015;142:2508-20 pubmed publisher..and extension movements in wild-type zebrafish embryos and mutants for the Wnt/PCP core component Vangl2 (Trilobite)...
- Guyot M, Bosoi C, Kharfallah F, Reynolds A, Drapeau P, Justice M, et al. A novel hypomorphic Looptail allele at the planar cell polarity Vangl2 gene. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:839-49 pubmed publisherb>Vangl2 forms part of the planar cell polarity signalling pathway and is the gene defective in the Looptail (Lp) mouse mutant...
- Sun S, Purdy A, Walsh G. Planar cell polarity genes Frizzled3a, Vangl2, and Scribble are required for spinal commissural axon guidance. BMC Neurosci. 2016;17:83 pubmed..Using mutant analysis, we show that the functions of Fzd3a and Vangl2 in the anterior turning of commissural axons are evolutionarily conserved in teleosts...
- Harrington M, Hong E, Fasanmi O, Brewster R. Cadherin-mediated adhesion regulates posterior body formation. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:130 pubmed..In addition, we show that N-cadherin interacts synergistically with vang-like 2, a member of the non-canonical Wnt signaling/planar cell polarity pathway, to mediate tail morphogenesis...
- Heisenberg C, Nusslein Volhard C. The function of silberblick in the positioning of the eye anlage in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 1997;184:85-94 pubmed..These findings may therefore provide a starting point in elucidating the role of neural plate morphogenesis in positioning of the eyes. ..
- Pan X, Sittaramane V, Gurung S, Chandrasekhar A. Structural and temporal requirements of Wnt/PCP protein Vangl2 function for convergence and extension movements and facial branchiomotor neuron migration in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2014;131:1-14 pubmed publisherVan gogh-like 2 (Vangl2), a core component of the Wnt/planar cell polarity (PCP) signaling pathway, is a four-pass transmembrane protein with N-terminal and C-terminal domains located in the cytosol, and is structurally conserved from ..
- Li X, Roszko I, Sepich D, Ni M, Hamm H, Marlow F, et al. Gpr125 modulates Dishevelled distribution and planar cell polarity signaling. Development. 2013;140:3028-39 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a role for Gpr125 in PCP-mediated processes and provides mechanistic insight into Wnt/PCP signaling. ..
- Panàkovà D, Werdich A, Macrae C. Wnt11 patterns a myocardial electrical gradient through regulation of the L-type Ca(2+) channel. Nature. 2010;466:874-8 pubmed publisher..The regulation of cellular coupling through such mechanisms may be a general property of non-canonical Wnt signals. ..
- Bingham S, Sittaramane V, Mapp O, Patil S, Prince V, Chandrasekhar A. Multiple mechanisms mediate motor neuron migration in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:87-99 pubmed publisher..whether migration of motor neurons out of r2 following ectopic hoxb1b expression was affected in vangl2(-) (trilobite) mutants...
- Sisson B, Dale R, Mui S, Topczewska J, Topczewski J. A role of glypican4 and wnt5b in chondrocyte stacking underlying craniofacial cartilage morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2015;138 Pt 3:279-90 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that while vang-like 2 (vangl2), wnt11 and scribbled (scrib) mutants have severe craniofacial morphogenesis defects they do not display the ..