Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tfap2a
Description: transcription factor AP-2 alpha
Alias: ap2, ap2a, cb93, fb83f04, fc31a07, wu:fb83f04, wu:fc31a07, transcription factor AP-2-alpha, lockjaw, low, mob, mont blanc
- Lucas M, Muller F, Rüdiger R, Henion P, Rohrer H. The bHLH transcription factor hand2 is essential for noradrenergic differentiation of sympathetic neurons. Development. 2006;133:4015-24 pubmed..of the noradrenergic marker genes th and dbh is strongly reduced, as well as the transcription factors gata2 and tfap2a (Ap-2alpha)...
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Knight R, Nair S, Nelson S, Afshar A, Javidan Y, Geisler R, et al. lockjaw encodes a zebrafish tfap2a required for early neural crest development. Development. 2003;130:5755-68 pubmed..Zebrafish homozygous for the lockjaw (low) mutation show defects in all of these derivatives and we show that low (allelic with montblanc) encodes a ..
- Bhat N, Kwon H, Riley B. A gene network that coordinates preplacodal competence and neural crest specification in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;373:107-17 pubmed publisher..Low Bmp activates expression of transcription factors Tfap2a and Tfap2c in the lateral neural plate, thereby specifying neural crest fate...
- Arduini B, Bosse K, Henion P. Genetic ablation of neural crest cell diversification. Development. 2009;136:1987-94 pubmed publisher..Previous studies using mutant zebrafish indicated that foxd3 and tfap2a function early and differentially in the development of neural crest sublineages...
- Kwon H, Bhat N, Sweet E, Cornell R, Riley B. Identification of early requirements for preplacodal ectoderm and sensory organ development. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001133 pubmed publisher..Initially, Bmp is required before gastrulation to co-induce four transcription factors, Tfap2a, Tfap2c, Foxi1, and Gata3, which establish preplacodal competence throughout the nonneural ectoderm...
- Wang W, Melville D, Montero Balaguer M, Hatzopoulos A, Knapik E. Tfap2a and Foxd3 regulate early steps in the development of the neural crest progenitor population. Dev Biol. 2011;360:173-85 pubmed publisher..Double mutant tfap2a (mont blanc, mob) and foxd3 (mother superior, mos) mob;mos zebrafish embryos completely lack all neural crest-derived ..
- Ignatius M, Moose H, El Hodiri H, Henion P. colgate/hdac1 Repression of foxd3 expression is required to permit mitfa-dependent melanogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:568-83 pubmed
- Hoffman T, Javier A, Campeau S, Knight R, Schilling T. Tfap2 transcription factors in zebrafish neural crest development and ectodermal evolution. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2007;308:679-91 pubmed..a zebrafish tfap2c is expressed in the nonneural ectoderm during early development and functions redundantly with tfap2a in NC specification. In zebrafish embryos depleted of both tfap2a and tfap2c, NC cells are virtually eliminated...
- Eroglu B, Wang G, Tu N, Sun X, Mivechi N. Critical role of Brg1 member of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex during neurogenesis and neural crest induction in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2722-35 pubmed..This is exhibited by the aberrant brain patterning, a reduction in the sensory neurons, and craniofacial defects. These results further elucidate the critical role for Brg1 in neurogenesis, neural crest induction, and differentiation. ..
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed
- Li Y, Zdanowicz M, Young L, Kumiski D, Leatherbury L, Kirby M. Cardiac neural crest in zebrafish embryos contributes to myocardial cell lineage and early heart function. Dev Dyn. 2003;226:540-50 pubmed..to four-somite stage resulted in loss of the neural crest cells migrating to the heart as shown by the absence of AP2- and HNK1-expressing cells and failure of the heart tube to undergo looping...
- Kucenas S, Cox J, Soto F, Lamora A, Voigt M. Ectodermal P2X receptor function plays a pivotal role in craniofacial development of the zebrafish. Purinergic Signal. 2009;5:395-407 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that p2rx3.1 function in ectodermal cells is involved in purinergic signaling essential for proper craniofacial development and sensory circuit formation in the embryonic and larval zebrafish. ..
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..We propose that a population of sema3D-dependent neural crest cells follow a novel migratory pathway, perhaps toward nrp1A-expressing LPM, and serve as an important early source of cardiomyocytes in the primary heart field. ..
- Kaufman C, Mosimann C, Fan Z, Yang S, Thomas A, Ablain J, et al. A zebrafish melanoma model reveals emergence of neural crest identity during melanoma initiation. Science. 2016;351:aad2197 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights NCP state reemergence as a key event in melanoma initiation. ..
- An M, Henion P. The zebrafish sf3b1b460 mutant reveals differential requirements for the sf3b1 pre-mRNA processing gene during neural crest development. Int J Dev Biol. 2012;56:223-37 pubmed publisher..Further, the developmental defects caused by the sf3b1(b460) mutation provide insights into genetic interactions among members of the gene regulatory network controlling neural crest development...
- Tu C, Yang T, Huang H, Tsai H. Zebrafish arl6ip1 is required for neural crest development during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32899 pubmed publisher..Although the embryonic expression pattern of ADP ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein 1 (Arl6ip1) has been reported, its function in neural crest development is unclear...
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Dworkin S, Simkin J, Darido C, Partridge D, Georgy S, Caddy J, et al. Grainyhead-like 3 regulation of endothelin-1 in the pharyngeal endoderm is critical for growth and development of the craniofacial skeleton. Mech Dev. 2014;133:77-90 pubmed publisher..This study sheds new light on the role of endodermal endothelin-1 in vertebrate jaw development, and highlights potential new genetic defects that could underpin human CFD. ..
- Zhu S, Lee J, Guo F, Shin J, Perez Atayde A, Kutok J, et al. Activated ALK collaborates with MYCN in neuroblastoma pathogenesis. Cancer Cell. 2012;21:362-73 pubmed publisher..Coexpression of activated ALK with MYCN provides prosurvival signals that block this apoptotic response and allow continued expansion and oncogenic transformation of hyperplastic neuroblasts, thus promoting progression to neuroblastoma...
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- Wendl T, Adzic D, Schoenebeck J, Scholpp S, Brand M, Yelon D, et al. Early developmental specification of the thyroid gland depends on han-expressing surrounding tissue and on FGF signals. Development. 2007;134:2871-9 pubmed..FGF-soaked beads can restore thyroid development in han mutants, showing that FGFs act downstream of or in parallel to han. These data suggest that loss of FGF-expressing tissue in han mutants is responsible for the thyroid defects. ..
- Eroglu B, Min J, Zhang Y, Szurek E, Moskophidis D, Eroglu A, et al. An essential role for heat shock transcription factor binding protein 1 (HSBP1) during early embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2014;386:448-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HSBP1 plays an essential role during early mouse and zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Van Otterloo E, Li W, Bonde G, Day K, Hsu M, Cornell R. Differentiation of zebrafish melanophores depends on transcription factors AP2 alpha and AP2 epsilon. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001122 pubmed publisher..In this model, Transcription Factor Activator Protein 2 alpha (TFAP2A) contributes to melanocyte development by activating expression of the gene encoding the receptor tyrosine kinase ..
- Manohar M, Mei H, Franklin A, Sweet E, Shigaki T, Riley B, et al. Zebrafish (Danio rerio) endomembrane antiporter similar to a yeast cation/H(+) transporter is required for neural crest development. Biochemistry. 2010;49:6557-66 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide insights into Vnx1 function and support an unexpected role of CAX transporters in animal growth and development. ..
- Rossi C, Kaji T, Artinger K. Transcriptional control of Rohon-Beard sensory neuron development at the neural plate border. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:931-43 pubmed publisher..mRNA for neurogenin1 or dlx3b/dlx4b can rescue the lack of RBs in prdm1a mutants. Based on these data, we suggest a preliminary gene regulatory network for RB development. ..
- Chen J, Galloway J. The development of zebrafish tendon and ligament progenitors. Development. 2014;141:2035-45 pubmed publisher..Within this context, the zebrafish model can be used to provide new avenues for studying tendon biology in a vertebrate genetic system. ..
- Weiner A, Allende M, Becker T, Calcaterra N. CNBP mediates neural crest cell expansion by controlling cell proliferation and cell survival during rostral head development. J Cell Biochem. 2007;102:1553-70 pubmed
- Cretekos C, Grunwald D. alyron, an insertional mutation affecting early neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;210:322-38 pubmed
- Damm E, Clements W. Pdgf signalling guides neural crest contribution to the haematopoietic stem cell specification niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:457-467 pubmed publisher..Preventing association of the NC with the DA leads to loss of HSCs. Our results define NC as key cellular components of the HSC specification niche that can be profiled to identify unknown HSC specification signals. ..
- Barriga E, Maxwell P, Reyes A, Mayor R. The hypoxia factor Hif-1? controls neural crest chemotaxis and epithelial to mesenchymal transition. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:759-76 pubmed publisher..Our results point to Hif-1? as a novel and key regulator that integrates EMT and chemotaxis during migration of neural crest cells...
- Belting H, Wendik B, Lunde K, Leichsenring M, Mössner R, Driever W, et al. Pou5f1 contributes to dorsoventral patterning by positive regulation of vox and modulation of fgf8a expression. Dev Biol. 2011;356:323-36 pubmed publisher..b>Low-level overexpression of a Pou5f1-VP16 activator fusion protein can rescue dorsalization in MZspg mutants, ..
- Sabel J, d Alençon C, O Brien E, Van Otterloo E, Lutz K, Cuykendall T, et al. Maternal Interferon Regulatory Factor 6 is required for the differentiation of primary superficial epithelia in Danio and Xenopus embryos. Dev Biol. 2009;325:249-62 pubmed publisher..These experiments reveal a conserved role for maternally-encoded Irf6 in differentiation of a simple epithelium in X. laevis and D. rerio. This epithelium constitutes a novel model tissue in which to explore the Irf6 regulatory pathway. ..
- Kastenhuber E, Kern U, Bonkowsky J, Chien C, Driever W, Schweitzer J. Netrin-DCC, Robo-Slit, and heparan sulfate proteoglycans coordinate lateral positioning of longitudinal dopaminergic diencephalospinal axons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:8914-26 pubmed publisher..Simultaneous integrations of repulsive and attractive long-range cues from the midline act in a concerted manner to define lateral positions of DA longitudinal axon tracts. ..
- Rentzsch F, Zhang J, Kramer C, Sebald W, Hammerschmidt M. Crossveinless 2 is an essential positive feedback regulator of Bmp signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2006;133:801-11 pubmed..Differential proteolytic processing as a mode of regulation might account for anti-Bmp effects in other contexts. ..
- Kantarci H, Edlund R, Groves A, Riley B. Tfap2a promotes specification and maturation of neurons in the inner ear through modulation of Bmp, Fgf and notch signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005037 pubmed publisher..Here we show that transcription factor Tfap2a coordinates multiple signaling pathways to promote neurogenesis in the zebrafish inner ear...
- Kucenas S, Wang W, Knapik E, Appel B. A selective glial barrier at motor axon exit points prevents oligodendrocyte migration from the spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15187-94 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal that distinct mechanisms regulate the movement of axons, neurons, and glial cells across the CNS-PNS interface. ..
- Seberg H, Van Otterloo E, Loftus S, Liu H, Bonde G, Sompallae R, et al. TFAP2 paralogs regulate melanocyte differentiation in parallel with MITF. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006636 pubmed publisherMutations in the gene encoding transcription factor TFAP2A result in pigmentation anomalies in model organisms and premature hair graying in humans...
- Gill J, Lowe L, Nguyen J, Liu P, Blake T, Venkatesh B, et al. Enforced expression of Simian virus 40 large T-antigen leads to testicular germ cell tumors in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2010;7:333-41 pubmed publisher..In addition, enforced expression of the zebrafish stem cell leukemia (scl) gene in the zebrafish testes also generated TGCTs in transgenic fish. These results demonstrate the feasibility of studying TGCTs in a model organism. ..
- Zarelli V, Dawid I. Inhibition of neural crest formation by Kctd15 involves regulation of transcription factor AP-2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:2870-5 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Kctd15 acts in the embryo at least in part by specifically binding to the activation domain of AP-2?, thereby blocking the function of this critical factor in the neural crest induction hierarchy. ..
- Zhang Y, Bonilla S, Chong L, Leung Y. Irx7, a Smarca4-regulated gene for retinal differentiation, regulates other genes controlled by Smarca4 in zebrafish retinas. Gene Expr Patterns. 2013;13:177-82 pubmed publisher..on 13 genes including aanat2, barhl2, bhlhe22, cdh11, ckmt1, gnat1, irx4a, ndrg1a, nme2l, pbx1a, rcv1, robo2 and tfap2a. These genes were originally used in a study that characterized the cellular expression pattern of Smarca4-..
- Armas P, Margarit E, Mouguelar V, Allende M, Calcaterra N. Beyond the binding site: in vivo identification of tbx2, smarca5 and wnt5b as molecular targets of CNBP during embryonic development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63234 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it represents a novel approach toward understanding the biological function and regulatory networks involving CNBP in the biology of vertebrates. ..
- Powell D, Hernandez Lagunas L, Lamonica K, Artinger K. Prdm1a directly activates foxd3 and tfap2a during zebrafish neural crest specification. Development. 2013;140:3445-55 pubmed publisher..transcription factor Prdm1a is co-expressed with two essential neural crest specifiers, foxd3 and tfap2a, at the neural plate border...
- Das A, Crump J. Bmps and id2a act upstream of Twist1 to restrict ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002710 pubmed publisher..Together our model shows how the integration of Bmp inhibition at its origin and Fgf activation along its migratory route would confer temporal and spatial specificity to the generation of ectomesenchyme from the neural crest...
- Luo T, Xu Y, Hoffman T, Zhang T, Schilling T, Sargent T. Inca: a novel p21-activated kinase-associated protein required for cranial neural crest development. Development. 2007;134:1279-89 pubmed..in a microarray screen for genes that are upregulated in Xenopus embryos by the transcriptional activator protein Tfap2a. It has no significant similarity to any known protein, but is conserved among vertebrates...
- Li E, Truong D, Hallett S, Mukherjee K, Schutte B, Liao E. Rapid functional analysis of computationally complex rare human IRF6 gene variants using a novel zebrafish model. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007009 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it unlocked the possibility for characterizing yet undiscovered human IRF6 missense gene variants from orofacial cleft patients, and illustrated a generalizable functional genomics paradigm in personalized medicine. ..
- Sarmah B, Wente S. Inositol hexakisphosphate kinase-2 acts as an effector of the vertebrate Hedgehog pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19921-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that IP6K2 activity is required at the level or downstream of Smoothened but upstream of the transcription activator Gli1. ..
- Nelson A, Cutty S, Niini M, Stemple D, Flicek P, Houart C, et al. Global identification of Smad2 and Eomesodermin targets in zebrafish identifies a conserved transcriptional network in mesendoderm and a novel role for Eomesodermin in repression of ectodermal gene expression. BMC Biol. 2014;12:81 pubmed publisher..Eomesa therefore regulates the formation of all three germ layers in the early zebrafish embryo. ..
- Mullally M, Albrecht C, Horton M, Laboissonniere L, Goetz J, Chowdhury R, et al. Expression Profiling of Developing Zebrafish Retinal Cells. Zebrafish. 2016;13:272-80 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of these profiles will reveal genes that can be mutated using genome editing techniques. Together these studies increase our knowledge of the genes driving development of different cell types in the zebrafish retina. ..
- Rauwerda H, Pagano J, de Leeuw W, Ensink W, Nehrdich U, de Jong M, et al. Transcriptome dynamics in early zebrafish embryogenesis determined by high-resolution time course analysis of 180 successive, individual zebrafish embryos. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:287 pubmed publisher..In the late blastula to mid-gastrula stage, we found 6,734 genes being expressed with low variability and rather gradual changes...
- Coutinho P, Pavlou S, Bhatia S, Chalmers K, Kleinjan D, van Heyningen V. Discovery and assessment of conserved Pax6 target genes and enhancers. Genome Res. 2011;21:1349-59 pubmed publisher..We have identified several novel direct targets, including some putative disease genes, among them Foxp2; these will allow further dissection of Pax6 function in development and disease. ..
- Grimes A, Erwin K, Stadt H, Hunter G, Gefroh H, Tsai H, et al. PCB126 exposure disrupts zebrafish ventricular and branchial but not early neural crest development. Toxicol Sci. 2008;106:193-205 pubmed publisher..HLHS is a severe congenital cardiovascular malformation that has previously been linked to industrial releases of dioxins and PCBs. ..
- Cox S, Kim H, Garnett A, Medeiros D, An W, Crump J. An essential role of variant histone H3.3 for ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002938 pubmed publisher..3 in the broad potential of the ectoderm-derived CNC, including the ability to make the mesoderm-like ectomesenchymal precursors of the head skeleton...