Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tdgf1
Description: teratocarcinoma-derived growth factor 1
Alias: cb85, cripto, oep, wu:fe01d04, zgc:109829, cryptic protein, one-eyed pinhead
- Schafer M, Rembold M, Wittbrodt J, Schartl M, Winkler C. Medial floor plate formation in zebrafish consists of two phases and requires trunk-derived Midkine-a. Genes Dev. 2005;19:897-902 pubmed..Thus in zebrafish, trunk-derived signals are required for complete MFP formation from a common pool of organizer-derived midline precursor cells. ..
- Lo C, Flinn L, Bandmann O. Heterozygous mutations in the FGF8, SHH and nodal/transforming growth factor beta pathways do not confer increased dopaminergic neuron vulnerability--a zebrafish study. Neurosci Lett. 2013;532:55-8 pubmed publisher..The aim of our study was to investigate whether heterozygote mutations in fgf8, shh or oep lead to a reduced number of ascending dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish (Danio rerio) or confer increased ..
- Faucourt M, Houliston E, Besnardeau L, Kimelman D, Lepage T. The pitx2 homeobox protein is required early for endoderm formation and nodal signaling. . Dev Biol. 2001;229:287-306 pubmed..Our results provide direct evidence that pitx2 function is required for normal specification of the endodermal and mesodermal germ layers. ..
- Schier A, Neuhauss S, Harvey M, Malicki J, Solnica Krezel L, Stainier D, et al. Mutations affecting the development of the embryonic zebrafish brain. Development. 1996;123:165-78 pubmed..The identified loci establish the genetic foundation for a further analysis of the development of the zebrafish embryonic brain. ..
- Li J, Yue Y, Dong X, Jia W, Li K, Liang D, et al. Zebrafish foxc1a plays a crucial role in early somitogenesis by restricting the expression of aldh1a2 directly. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:10216-28 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that foxc1a plays an essential role in early somitogenesis by controlling Fgf and Notch signaling through restricting the expression of aldh1a2 in paraxial mesoderm directly. ..
- Minchiotti G, Parisi S, Liguori G, D Andrea D, Persico M. Role of the EGF-CFC gene cripto in cell differentiation and embryo development. Gene. 2002;287:33-7 pubmed..b>Cripto is the founder member of the EGF-CFC family initially related to the epidermal growth factor (EGF); its expression ..
- Rohr K, Barth K, Varga Z, Wilson S. The nodal pathway acts upstream of hedgehog signaling to specify ventral telencephalic identity. Neuron. 2001;29:341-51 pubmed..Thus, the Nodal pathway regulates ventral forebrain patterning through both Hedgehog signaling-dependent and -independent mechanisms. ..
- Reichman Fried M, Minina S, Raz E. Autonomous modes of behavior in primordial germ cell migration. Dev Cell. 2004;6:589-96 pubmed..Together, these behavioral modes allow the cells to arrive at specific destinations with high fidelity and remain at their target site. ..
- Hogan B, Hunter M, Oates A, Crowhurst M, Hall N, Heath J, et al. Zebrafish gcm2 is required for gill filament budding from pharyngeal ectoderm. Dev Biol. 2004;276:508-22 pubmed..This study identifies yet another role for a GCM gene in embryonic development and indicates a role for gcm2 during the evolution of divergent pharyngeal morphologies. ..
- Mathieu J, Barth A, Rosa F, Wilson S, Peyrieras N. Distinct and cooperative roles for Nodal and Hedgehog signals during hypothalamic development. Development. 2002;129:3055-65 pubmed..Finally we show that it is the prechordal plate and not the head endoderm that provides the early signals essential for establishment of the hypothalamus. ..
- Pauli A, Montague T, Lennox K, Behlke M, Schier A. Antisense Oligonucleotide-Mediated Transcript Knockdown in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0139504 pubmed publisher..ASO-mediated transcript knockdown reproduced the published loss-of-function phenotypes for oep, chordin, dnd, ctnnb2, bmp7a, alk8, smad2 and smad5 in a dosage-sensitive manner...
- Bisgrove B, Morelli S, Yost H. Genetics of human laterality disorders: insights from vertebrate model systems. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2003;4:1-32 pubmed..This approach helps suggest candidate genes and genetic pathways that might be perturbed in human laterality disorders and improves diagnostic criteria. ..
- Griffin K, Kimelman D. One-Eyed Pinhead and Spadetail are essential for heart and somite formation. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:821-5 pubmed..roles for the T-box transcription factor Spadetail (Spt) and the Nodal-receptor cofactor One-Eyed Pinhead (Oep) in the formation of mesoderm and endoderm...
- Xu P, Zhu K, Jin Y, Chen Y, Sun X, Deng M, et al. Setdb2 restricts dorsal organizer territory and regulates left-right asymmetry through suppressing fgf8 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:2521-6 pubmed publisher..These results provide unique evidence that a SET domain-containing protein potentially involved in the epigenetic control negatively regulates dorsal organizer formation during early embryonic development. ..
- Beis D, Stainier D. In vivo cell biology: following the zebrafish trend. Trends Cell Biol. 2006;16:105-12 pubmed..Although this model system has been predominantly appreciated for its amenability to forward genetics, current advances in imaging technology and an increasing number of transgenic lines are bringing it closer to its full potential. ..
- Saloman D, Bianco C, Ebert A, Khan N, De Santis M, Normanno N, et al. The EGF-CFC family: novel epidermal growth factor-related proteins in development and cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2000;7:199-226 pubmed..This multigene family consists of Xenopus FRL-1, zebrafish one-eyed-pinhead (oep), mouse cripto (Cr-1) and cryptic, and human cripto (CR-1) and criptin...
- Gamse J, Shen Y, Thisse C, Thisse B, Raymond P, Halpern M, et al. Otx5 regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complex. Nat Genet. 2002;30:117-21 pubmed..Our results indicate that Otx5 rather than Crx regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complex. ..
- Dubrulle J, Jordan B, Akhmetova L, Farrell J, Kim S, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Response to Nodal morphogen gradient is determined by the kinetics of target gene induction. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, the timing and magnitude of target gene expression can be used to modulate the range of expression and diversify the response to morphogen gradients. ..
- Burdine R, Grimes D. Antagonistic interactions in the zebrafish midline prior to the emergence of asymmetric gene expression are important for left-right patterning. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371: pubmed..Here we report an unexpected role for the zebrafish EGF-CFC gene one-eyed pinhead (oep) in the midline to promote pitx2 expression in the LPM...
- Cheng P, Lin C, Wu C, Lu Y, Lin C, Chung C, et al. Zebrafish cdx1b regulates expression of downstream factors of Nodal signaling during early endoderm formation. Development. 2008;135:941-52 pubmed publisher..This study underscores a novel role of zebrafish cdx1b in the development of different digestive organs compared with its mammalian homologs. ..
- Albert S, Muller F, Fischer N, Biellmann D, Neumann C, Blader P, et al. Cyclops-independent floor plate differentiation in zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2003;226:59-66 pubmed..This finding suggests that the correct temporal development of the MFP is required for the distinction of LFP and MFP cells in wild-type embryos. ..
- Imai Y, Feldman B, Schier A, Talbot W. Analysis of chromosomal rearrangements induced by postmeiotic mutagenesis with ethylnitrosourea in zebrafish. Genetics. 2000;155:261-72 pubmed..One mutation, snh(st1), is a translocation involving linkage group (LG) 11 and LG 14. The other four mutations, oep(st2), kny(st3), Df(LG 13)(st4), and cyc(st5), are deletions, ranging in size from less than 3 cM to greater than 20 ..
- Essner J, Branford W, Zhang J, Yost H. Mesendoderm and left-right brain, heart and gut development are differentially regulated by pitx2 isoforms. Development. 2000;127:1081-93 pubmed..Our results indicate that distinct genetic pathways regulate pitx2a and pitx2c isoform expression, and each isoform regulates different downstream pathways during mesendoderm and asymmetric organ development. ..
- Van Boxtel A, Chesebro J, Heliot C, Ramel M, Stone R, Hill C. A Temporal Window for Signal Activation Dictates the Dimensions of a Nodal Signaling Domain. Dev Cell. 2015;35:175-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, temporal information is transformed into spatial information to define the dimensions of the Nodal signaling domain and, consequently, to specify mesendoderm. ..
- Fan X, Hagos E, Xu B, Sias C, Kawakami K, Burdine R, et al. Nodal signals mediate interactions between the extra-embryonic and embryonic tissues in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:363-78 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a high degree of functional conservation between the extra-embryonic tissues of mouse and zebrafish. ..
- Inbal A, Kim S, Shin J, Solnica Krezel L. Six3 represses nodal activity to establish early brain asymmetry in zebrafish. Neuron. 2007;55:407-15 pubmed..Our data reveal a Six3-dependent mechanism for establishment of correct brain laterality and provide an entry point to understanding the genetic regulation of Nodal signaling in the brain. ..
- Huang C, Wilson V, Pennings S, Macrae C, Mullins J. Sequential effects of spadetail, one-eyed pinhead and no tail on midline convergence of nephric primordia during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;384:290-300 pubmed publisher..Using mutants in the Nodal receptor cofactor one-eyed pinhead (oep) and the T-box transcription factors spadetail (spt) and no tail (ntl), we were able to define distinctive ..
- Loucks E, Schwend T, Ahlgren S. Molecular changes associated with teratogen-induced cyclopia. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007;79:642-51 pubmed..These data suggest that each teratogen exposure leads to a unique set of molecular changes that underlie the single phenotype of cyclopia. ..
- Moriarty M, Ryan R, Lalor P, Dockery P, Byrnes L, Grealy M. Loss of plakophilin 2 disrupts heart development in zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2012;56:711-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that plakophilin 2 has both structural and signalling roles in zebrafish heart development. ..
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Dvr1 is responsible for enabling the transfer of a left-right signal from KV to the LPM...
- Fukuda K, Kikuchi Y. Endoderm development in vertebrates: fate mapping, induction and regional specification. Dev Growth Differ. 2005;47:343-55 pubmed..We discuss the classical fate mapping of the endoderm and the more recent progress in characterizing its induction, segregation and regional specification. ..
- Gamse J, Kuan Y, Macurak M, Brösamle C, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Directional asymmetry of the zebrafish epithalamus guides dorsoventral innervation of the midbrain target. Development. 2005;132:4869-81 pubmed..The results demonstrate that laterality of the dorsal forebrain influences the formation of midbrain connections and their molecular properties. ..
- Aizawa H, Bianco I, Hamaoka T, Miyashita T, Uemura O, Concha M, et al. Laterotopic representation of left-right information onto the dorso-ventral axis of a zebrafish midbrain target nucleus. Curr Biol. 2005;15:238-43 pubmed
- Gamse J, Thisse C, Thisse B, Halpern M. The parapineal mediates left-right asymmetry in the zebrafish diencephalon. Development. 2003;130:1059-68 pubmed..The left-sided parapineal therefore influences the left-right identity of adjacent brain nuclei, indicating that laterality of the dorsal diencephalon arises in a step-wise fashion. ..
- Kwon H, Riley B. Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1582-94 pubmed publisher..Developmental Dynamics 238:1582-1594, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Vopalensky P, Pralow S, Vastenhouw N. Reduced expression of the Nodal co-receptor Oep causes loss of mesendodermal competence in zebrafish. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..signals, and show that this coincides with a decrease in the levels of the Nodal co-receptor One-eyed pinhead (Oep)...
- Hammerschmidt M, Pelegri F, Mullins M, Kane D, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Mutations affecting morphogenesis during gastrulation and tail formation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:143-51 pubmed..Two genes are required in the anterior region of the body axis: one eyed pinhead (oep) and dirty nose (dns)...
- Hagos E, Fan X, Dougan S. The role of maternal Activin-like signals in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;309:245-58 pubmed..This contrasts with the early role for these signals during Xenopus development. ..
- Concha M, Burdine R, Russell C, Schier A, Wilson S. A nodal signaling pathway regulates the laterality of neuroanatomical asymmetries in the zebrafish forebrain. Neuron. 2000;28:399-409 pubmed..This indicates that Nodal signaling is not required for asymmetric development per se but is essential to determine the laterality of the asymmetry. ..
- Nishiyama T, Kaneda R, Ono T, Tohyama S, Hashimoto H, Endo J, et al. miR-142-3p is essential for hematopoiesis and affects cardiac cell fate in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;425:755-61 pubmed publisher..The findings of the present study indicate that miR-142-3p plays a critical role in hematopoiesis, cardiogenesis, and somitegenesis in the early stage of mesoderm formation via regulation of Rock2a. ..
- Chai C, Liu Y, Chan W. Ff1b is required for the development of steroidogenic component of the zebrafish interrenal organ. Dev Biol. 2003;260:226-44 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that ff1b is required for the development of the steroidogenic tissue of the interrenal organ...
- Terashima A, Mudumana S, Drummond I. Odd skipped related 1 is a negative feedback regulator of nodal-induced endoderm development. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1571-80 pubmed publisher..As such, we propose that osr1 represents a novel network motif controlling the output of Nodal signaling to regulate mesendoderm patterning. ..
- Vetter M, Brown N. The role of basic helix-loop-helix genes in vertebrate retinogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2001;12:491-8 pubmed
- Griffin K, Kimelman D. Interplay between FGF, one-eyed pinhead, and T-box transcription factors during zebrafish posterior development. Dev Biol. 2003;264:456-66 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide strong in vivo support for the regulation of FGF signaling by T-box transcription factors, and the cooperative activity of Oep and FGF signaling during the formation of posterior structures.
- Khuansuwan S, Gamse J. Identification of differentially expressed genes during development of the zebrafish pineal complex using RNA sequencing. Dev Biol. 2014;395:144-53 pubmed publisher..This protocol brings modern transcriptome analysis to the study of small cell populations in zebrafish. ..
- Shinya M, Furutani Seiki M, Kuroiwa A, Takeda H. Mosaic analysis with oep mutant reveals a repressive interaction between floor-plate and non-floor-plate mutant cells in the zebrafish neural tube. Dev Growth Differ. 1999;41:135-42 pubmed..Floor-plate development is severely impaired in zebrafish one-eyed pinhead (oep) mutants...
- Ma P, Swartz M, Kindt L, Kangas A, Liang J. Temperature Sensitivity of Neural Tube Defects in Zoep Mutants. Zebrafish. 2015;12:448-56 pubmed publisher..Squint (Sqt/Ndr1), a Nodal ligand, and One-eyed pinhead (Oep), a component of the Nodal receptor, are required for anterior neural tube closure in zebrafish...
- Take uchi M, Clarke J, Wilson S. Hedgehog signalling maintains the optic stalk-retinal interface through the regulation of Vax gene activity. Development. 2003;130:955-68 pubmed..Taking all these results together, we present a model of the partitioning of the optic vesicle along its proximo-distal axis. ..
- Esguerra C, Nelles L, Vermeire L, Ibrahimi A, Crawford A, Derua R, et al. Ttrap is an essential modulator of Smad3-dependent Nodal signaling during zebrafish gastrulation and left-right axis determination. Development. 2007;134:4381-93 pubmed
- Carvalho L, Stühmer J, Bois J, Kalaidzidis Y, Lecaudey V, Heisenberg C. Control of convergent yolk syncytial layer nuclear movement in zebrafish. Development. 2009;136:1305-15 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data reveal a crucial function for cortical flow in the coordination of syncytial nuclear movements with surrounding cells and tissues during zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- Chang W, Horng J, Yan J, Hsiao C, Hwang P. The transcription factor, glial cell missing 2, is involved in differentiation and functional regulation of H+-ATPase-rich cells in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1192-201 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, functional regulation of HR cells is probably achieved by enhancing cell differentiation via zGCM2 activation. ..
- Bamford R, Roessler E, Burdine R, Saplakoğlu U, dela Cruz J, Splitt M, et al. Loss-of-function mutations in the EGF-CFC gene CFC1 are associated with human left-right laterality defects. Nat Genet. 2000;26:365-9 pubmed..6) and ACVR2B (encoding activin receptor IIB; ref. 7). The EGF-CFC genes, mouse Cfc1 (encoding the Cryptic protein; ref...
- Heisenberg C, Tada M. Zebrafish gastrulation movements: bridging cell and developmental biology. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2002;13:471-9 pubmed..The identification of the genes mutated in these lines together with the analysis of the mutant phenotypes has provided new insights into the molecular and cellular mechanisms that underlie vertebrate gastrulation movements. ..
- Cheng S, Olale F, Bennett J, Brivanlou A, Schier A. EGF-CFC proteins are essential coreceptors for the TGF-beta signals Vg1 and GDF1. Genes Dev. 2003;17:31-6 pubmed..These results establish that multiple TGF-beta signals converge on Activin receptor/EGF-CFC complexes and suggest a more widespread requirement for coreceptors in TGF-beta signaling than anticipated previously. ..
- Schötz E, Lanio M, Talbot J, Manning M. Glassy dynamics in three-dimensional embryonic tissues. J R Soc Interface. 2013;10:20130726 pubmed publisher..These results provide a robust framework for quantifying and modelling mechanically driven pattern formation in tissues. ..
- Solnica Krezel L. Vertebrate development: taming the nodal waves. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R7-9 pubmed
- Hsu H, Lin G, Chung B. Parallel early development of zebrafish interrenal glands and pronephros: differential control by wt1 and ff1b. Development. 2003;130:2107-16 pubmed..Our results show that the zebrafish interrenal and pronephros are situated close together and go through parallel developmental processes but are governed by different signaling events...
- Chen Y, Harris M, Levesque M, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sonawane M. Heterogeneity across the dorso-ventral axis in zebrafish EVL is regulated by a novel module consisting of sox, snail1a and max genes. Mech Dev. 2012;129:13-23 pubmed publisher..For the first time, this transgenic line unravels the heterogeneity in the EVL and will serve as an important tool in understanding the molecular basis of the DV patterning of the EVL. ..
- Odenthal J, van Eeden F, Haffter P, Ingham P, Nusslein Volhard C. Two distinct cell populations in the floor plate of the zebrafish are induced by different pathways. Dev Biol. 2000;219:350-63 pubmed..The number of primary motor neurons is strongly reduced in cyc;syu double mutants, while almost normal in single mutants, suggesting that the two different pathways have overlapping functions in the induction of primary motor neurons. ..
- Stemple D, Solnica Krezel L, Zwartkruis F, Neuhauss S, Schier A, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting development of the notochord in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:117-28 pubmed
- Ma Y, Liu X, Liu Z, Wei S, Shang H, Xue Y, et al. The Chromatin Remodeling Protein Bptf Promotes Posterior Neuroectodermal Fate by Enhancing Smad2-Activated wnt8a Expression. J Neurosci. 2015;35:8493-506 pubmed publisher..We propose that Bptf and TGF-Î²/Smad2 mediate nucleosome remodeling to regulate wnt8a expression and hence neural posteriorization. ..
- Pezeron G, Lambert G, Dickmeis T, Strahle U, Rosa F, Mourrain P. Rasl11b knock down in zebrafish suppresses one-eyed-pinhead mutant phenotype. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1434 pubmed publisherThe EGF-CFC factor Oep/Cripto1/Frl1 has been implicated in embryogenesis and several human cancers...
- Kim J, Chun H, Kim S, Kim H, Kim Y, Kim M, et al. Normal forebrain development may require continual Wnt antagonism until mid-somitogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:717-21 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish zygotic oep (Zoep) mutants, forebrain structure is severely disrupted with reduced expression of the Wnt antagonists secreted ..