Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tbx16
Description: T-box 16
Alias: cb103, id:ibd2185, spt, spt-1, wu:fa17g07, zgc:109817, T-box-containing protein TBX6L, T-box gene 16, spadetail
- Parkin C, Allen C, Ingham P. Hedgehog signalling is required for cloacal development in the zebrafish embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 2009;53:45-57 pubmed publisher..These studies establish the zebrafish as a model for ARMs, and for the elucidation of other pathways involved in hindgut developmental processes. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Pelegri F, Mullins M, Kane D, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Mutations affecting morphogenesis during gastrulation and tail formation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:143-51 pubmed..embryos, extension movements on the dorsal side of the embryo are affected, whereas in the formerly described spadetail mutants, for which two new alleles have been isolated, convergent movements of ventrolateral cells to the dorsal ..
- Row R, Maître J, Martin B, Stockinger P, Heisenberg C, Kimelman D. Completion of the epithelial to mesenchymal transition in zebrafish mesoderm requires Spadetail. Dev Biol. 2011;354:102-10 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that the zebrafish spadetail mutation creates a reversible block in the maturation program, stalling cells in the transition state...
- Yabe T, Takada S. Mesogenin causes embryonic mesoderm progenitors to differentiate during development of zebrafish tail somites. Dev Biol. 2012;370:213-22 pubmed publisher..For instance, spadetail/tbx16 (spt) mutant embryos lack trunk somites but not tail ones...
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..These data indicate that the cdx genes mediate Wnt signaling and play essential roles in the morphogenesis of the posterior body in zebrafish. ..
- Hug B, Walter V, Grunwald D. tbx6, a Brachyury-related gene expressed by ventral mesendodermal precursors in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 1997;183:61-73 pubmed..However, no tail appears to contribute to the maintenance of normal levels of tbx6 transcription and may be required for tbx6 transcription in the developing tail. ..
- Chen J, van Eeden F, Warren K, Chin A, Nusslein Volhard C, Haffter P, et al. Left-right pattern of cardiac BMP4 may drive asymmetry of the heart in zebrafish. Development. 1997;124:4373-82 pubmed..Thus, the pattern of cardiac BMP4 appears to be in the pathway by which the heart interprets lateralizing signals from the midline. ..
- Ju B, Chong S, He J, Wang X, Xu Y, Wan H, et al. Recapitulation of fast skeletal muscle development in zebrafish by transgenic expression of GFP under the mylz2 promoter. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:14-26 pubmed..The mylz2-gfp transgene was also transferred into two zebrafish mutants, spadetail and chordino, and several novel phenotypes in muscle development in these mutants were discovered.
- Yamamoto A, Amacher S, Kim S, Geissert D, Kimmel C, De Robertis E. Zebrafish paraxial protocadherin is a downstream target of spadetail involved in morphogenesis of gastrula mesoderm. Development. 1998;125:3389-97 pubmed..Genetic studies show that papc is a close downstream target of spadetail, gene encoding a transcription factor required for mesodermal morphogenetic movements...
- Martin B, Kimelman D. Canonical Wnt signaling dynamically controls multiple stem cell fate decisions during vertebrate body formation. Dev Cell. 2012;22:223-32 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that dynamic local Wnt signaling cues specify germ layer contribution and mesodermal tissue type specification of multipotent stem cells throughout the formation of the early vertebrate embryonic body...
- Sieger D, Tautz D, Gajewski M. The role of Suppressor of Hairless in Notch mediated signalling during zebrafish somitogenesis. Mech Dev. 2003;120:1083-94 pubmed..This fact that the first five to seven somites are only weakly affected by Su(H) knockdown indicates that additional genetic pathways may be active in the specification of the most anterior somites. ..
- Cerda G, Hargrave M, Lewis K. RNA profiling of FAC-sorted neurons from the developing zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:150-61 pubmed publisher..This protocol for dissociating, sorting and RNA-profiling neurons from organogenesis-stage zebrafish embryos should also be applicable to other developing organs and tissues and potentially other model organisms. ..
- Gourronc F, Ahmad N, Nedza N, Eggleston T, Rebagliati M. Nodal activity around Kupffer's vesicle depends on the T-box transcription factors Notail and Spadetail and on Notch signaling. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2131-46 pubmed..Here we investigate whether loss of Brachyury/Notail or Tbx16/Spadetail disrupts the balance of Nodal ligands (Southpaw) and antagonists (Charon) around Kupffers Vesicle...
- Mara A, Schroeder J, Chalouni C, Holley S. Priming, initiation and synchronization of the segmentation clock by deltaD and deltaC. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:523-30 pubmed..Oscillations of adjacent cells are synchronized and amplified by deltaC in the posterior presomitic mesoderm as cell movement subsides and cells maintain stable neighbour relationships. ..
- Tamme R, Wells S, Conran J, Lardelli M. The identity and distribution of neural cells expressing the mesodermal determinant spadetail. BMC Dev Biol. 2002;2:9 pubmedThe spadetail (spt) gene of zebrafish is expressed in presomitic mesoderm and in neural cells previously suggested to be Rohon-Beard neurons...
- Manning A, Kimelman D. Tbx16 and Msgn1 are required to establish directional cell migration of zebrafish mesodermal progenitors. Dev Biol. 2015;406:172-85 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish embryos lacking the transcription factors Tbx16/Spadetail and Mesogenin1 (Msgn1) are a valuable system for investigating the EMT...
- Pauli A, Norris M, Valen E, Chew G, Gagnon J, Zimmerman S, et al. Toddler: an embryonic signal that promotes cell movement via Apelin receptors. Science. 2014;343:1248636 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Toddler is an activator of APJ/Apelin receptor signaling, promotes gastrulation movements, and might be the first in a series of uncharacterized developmental signals...
- Nornes S, Tucker B, Lardelli M. Zebrafish aplnra functions in epiboly. BMC Res Notes. 2009;2:231 pubmed publisher..The defects in epiboly caused by loss of aplnra activity appear, at least partially, to be due to a requirement for aplnra activity in the yolk syncytial layer. ..
- Kawamura A, Ovara H, Ooka Y, Kinoshita H, Hoshikawa M, Nakajo K, et al. Posterior-anterior gradient of zebrafish hes6 expression in the presomitic mesoderm is established by the combinatorial functions of the downstream enhancer and 3'UTR. Dev Biol. 2016;409:543-54 pubmed publisher..Indeed, the T-box transcription factor (Tbx16) and Ets transcription factor (Pea3) bound specifically to the putative binding sites and regulated the enhancer ..
- Dubrulle J, Jordan B, Akhmetova L, Farrell J, Kim S, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Response to Nodal morphogen gradient is determined by the kinetics of target gene induction. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, the timing and magnitude of target gene expression can be used to modulate the range of expression and diversify the response to morphogen gradients. ..
- Nojima H, Shimizu T, Kim C, Yabe T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, et al. Genetic evidence for involvement of maternally derived Wnt canonical signaling in dorsal determination in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2004;121:371-86 pubmed..The tkk locus was mapped to chromosome 16. These data provide genetic evidence that the maternally derived canonical Wnt pathway upstream of beta-catenin is involved in dorsal axis formation in zebrafish. ..
- Deniziak M, Thisse C, Rederstorff M, Hindelang C, Thisse B, Lescure A. Loss of selenoprotein N function causes disruption of muscle architecture in the zebrafish embryo. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:156-67 pubmed..Moreover, alteration of myofibrils architecture and tendon-like structure in embryo deficient for SelN function provide new insights into the pathological mechanism of SelN-related myopathy. ..
- Kawamura A, Koshida S, Hijikata H, Sakaguchi T, Kondoh H, Takada S. Zebrafish hairy/enhancer of split protein links FGF signaling to cyclic gene expression in the periodic segmentation of somites. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1156-61 pubmed..Furthermore, Her13.2 augments autorepression of her1 in association with Her1 protein. Therefore, FGF signaling appears to maintain the oscillation machinery by supplying a binding partner, Her13.2, for Her1. ..
- Beis D, Stainier D. In vivo cell biology: following the zebrafish trend. Trends Cell Biol. 2006;16:105-12 pubmed..Although this model system has been predominantly appreciated for its amenability to forward genetics, current advances in imaging technology and an increasing number of transgenic lines are bringing it closer to its full potential. ..
- Plavicki J, Hofsteen P, Yue M, Lanham K, Peterson R, Heideman W. Multiple modes of proepicardial cell migration require heartbeat. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:18 pubmed publisher..Epicardium formation can occur in culture without normal hydrodynamic and hemodynamic forces, but not without contraction. ..
- Nornes S, Newman M, Wells S, Verdile G, Martins R, Lardelli M. Independent and cooperative action of Psen2 with Psen1 in zebrafish embryos. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:2791-801 pubmed publisher..The effects of changes in Psen2 activity on DoLA interneurons and other cells in zebrafish embryos provide bioassays for more detailed dissection of Psen2 function. ..
- BURNS C, Galloway J, Smith A, Keefe M, Cashman T, Paik E, et al. A genetic screen in zebrafish defines a hierarchical network of pathways required for hematopoietic stem cell emergence. Blood. 2009;113:5776-82 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of vegf and notch is sufficient to induce HSCs in the tbx16 mutant, despite a lack of axial vascular organization...
- Stapel L, Zechner C, Vastenhouw N. Uniform gene expression in embryos is achieved by temporal averaging of transcription noise. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1635-1640 pubmed publisher..Temporal averaging might provide a general context in which to understand how embryos deal with stochastic transcription. ..
- Jahangiri L, Nelson A, Wardle F. A cis-regulatory module upstream of deltaC regulated by Ntla and Tbx16 drives expression in the tailbud, presomitic mesoderm and somites. Dev Biol. 2012;371:110-20 pubmed publisher..as deltaC (dlc) have been shown to play a role in this process, while the T-box transcription factors Ntla and Tbx16 regulate somite formation upstream of this by controlling supply and movement of cells into the PSM during ..
- Londin E, Mentzer L, Sirotkin H. Churchill regulates cell movement and mesoderm specification by repressing Nodal signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:120 pubmed..These findings reveal a dynamic role for chch in regulating cell movement and fate during early development. ..
- Howley C, Ho R. mRNA localization patterns in zebrafish oocytes. Mech Dev. 2000;92:305-9 pubmed..Unique patterns of localization are seen in mature eggs as well. Some mRNAs maintain their oocyte localization patterns, while others localize upon egg activation (fertilization). ..
- Pilorge M, Fassier C, Le Corronc H, Potey A, Bai J, De Gois S, et al. Genetic and functional analyses demonstrate a role for abnormal glycinergic signaling in autism. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:936-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results implicate GLRA2 in non-syndromic ASD, unveil a novel role for GLRA2 in synaptic plasticity and learning and memory, and link altered glycinergic signaling to social and cognitive impairments. ..
- Oates A, Bruce A, Ho R. Too much interference: injection of double-stranded RNA has nonspecific effects in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2000;224:20-8 pubmed..Injection of dsRNA corresponding to the T-box gene tbx16/spadetail (spt) into early wild-type embryos caused a rapid and dramatic loss of tbx16/spt mRNA in the blastula...
- Zhang M, Zhang J, Lin S, Meng A. ?-Catenin 1 and ?-catenin 2 play similar and distinct roles in left-right asymmetric development of zebrafish embryos. Development. 2012;139:2009-19 pubmed publisher..poor KV cell proliferation, abnormal cilia formation and disordered KV fluid flow with downregulation of ntl and tbx16 expression...
- He Y, Xu X, Zhao S, Ma S, Sun L, Liu Z, et al. Maternal control of axial-paraxial mesoderm patterning via direct transcriptional repression in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;386:96-110 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, spt cell-autonomously regulates paraxial mesoderm specification and flh represses spt expression to promote axial ..
- Blanco M, Barrallo Gimeno A, Acloque H, Reyes A, Tada M, Allende M, et al. Snail1a and Snail1b cooperate in the anterior migration of the axial mesendoderm in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2007;134:4073-81 pubmed
- Shaw G, Cope J, Li L, Corson K, Hersey C, Ackermann G, et al. Mitoferrin is essential for erythroid iron assimilation. Nature. 2006;440:96-100 pubmed..Our data show that mfrn functions as the principal mitochondrial iron importer essential for haem biosynthesis in vertebrate erythroblasts...
- Berman J, Kanki J, Look A. Zebrafish as a model for myelopoiesis during embryogenesis. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:997-1006 pubmed
- Komoike Y, Kawamura A, Shindo N, Sato C, Satoh J, Shiurba R, et al. Zebrafish Polycomb group gene ph2alpha is required for epiboly and tailbud formation acting downstream of FGF signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;328:858-66 pubmed..In addition, cells expressing mRNAs for no tail, spadetail, myoD, and papc, which are involved in FGF-related development of posterior mesoderm, were distributed ..
- Nishiyama T, Kaneda R, Ono T, Tohyama S, Hashimoto H, Endo J, et al. miR-142-3p is essential for hematopoiesis and affects cardiac cell fate in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;425:755-61 pubmed publisher..The findings of the present study indicate that miR-142-3p plays a critical role in hematopoiesis, cardiogenesis, and somitegenesis in the early stage of mesoderm formation via regulation of Rock2a. ..
- Hu S, Yu H, Zhang Y, Wu Z, Yan Y, Li Y, et al. Splice blocking of zygotic sox31 leads to developmental arrest shortly after Mid-Blastula Transition and induces apoptosis in zebrafish. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:222-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an apoptotic response occurs in Sb morphants at about 6hpf. SoxB1 family genes including sox31 thus play an essential role for early embryos traversing the transitional stage...
- Leichsenring M, Maes J, Mössner R, Driever W, Onichtchouk D. Pou5f1 transcription factor controls zygotic gene activation in vertebrates. Science. 2013;341:1005-9 pubmed publisher..Our data position Pou5f1 and SOX-POU sites at the center of the zygotic gene activation network of vertebrates and provide a link between zygotic gene activation and pluripotency control. ..
- Esterberg R, Delalande J, Fritz A. Tailbud-derived Bmp4 drives proliferation and inhibits maturation of zebrafish chordamesoderm. Development. 2008;135:3891-901 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate a role for Bmp4 in the proliferation and timely differentiation of axial tissue after DV axis specification. ..
- Bajard L, Morelli L, Ares S, PÃ©crÃ©aux J, JÃ¼licher F, Oates A. Wnt-regulated dynamics of positional information in zebrafish somitogenesis. Development. 2014;141:1381-91 pubmed publisher..The observed Wnt signaling gradient dynamics and timing of downstream events support a model for wavefront regulation in which cell flow plays a dominant role in transporting positional information. ..
- Webb A, Lengyel I, JÃ¶rg D, Valentin G, JÃ¼licher F, Morelli L, et al. Persistence, period and precision of autonomous cellular oscillators from the zebrafish segmentation clock. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our work reveals a population of cells from the zebrafish segmentation clock that behave as self-sustained, autonomous oscillators with distinctive noisy dynamics. ..
- Dheen T, Sleptsova Friedrich I, Xu Y, Clark M, Lehrach H, Gong Z, et al. Zebrafish tbx-c functions during formation of midline structures. Development. 1999;126:2703-13 pubmed..These data and analysis of midline (ntl-/- and flh-/-) and lateral mesoderm (spt-/-) mutants suggest that tbx-c may function during formation of the notochord.
- Shankaran S, Sieger D, Schroter C, Czepe C, Pauly M, Laplante M, et al. Completing the set of h/E(spl) cyclic genes in zebrafish: her12 and her15 reveal novel modes of expression and contribute to the segmentation clock. Dev Biol. 2007;304:615-32 pubmed..We propose that this creates a segmentation oscillator that varies in biochemical composition depending on position in the PSM. ..
- Goto H, Kimmey S, Row R, Matus D, Martin B. FGF and canonical Wnt signaling cooperate to induce paraxial mesoderm from tailbud neuromesodermal progenitors through regulation of a two-step epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Development. 2017;144:1412-1424 pubmed publisher..FGF signaling represses the NMP markers brachyury (ntla) and sox2 through regulation of tbx16 and msgn1, thereby committing cells to a PM fate...
- Kimelman D. A novel cold-sensitive mutant of ntla reveals temporal roles of brachyury in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2016;245:874-80 pubmed publisher..It is used here to show the changing roles of Ntla during early development and the dynamics of the neuromesodermal progenitors. Developmental Dynamics 245:874-880, 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Kok F, Oster E, Mentzer L, Hsieh J, Henry C, Sirotkin H. The role of the SPT6 chromatin remodeling factor in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;307:214-26 pubmed..However, additional Spt6 mutant phenotypes are likely caused by vital functions of Spt6 in other pathways. ..
- Bouldin C, Snelson C, Farr G, Kimelman D. Restricted expression of cdc25a in the tailbud is essential for formation of the zebrafish posterior body. Genes Dev. 2014;28:384-95 pubmed publisher..Upon misexpression of cdc25a, several essential T-box transcription factors are abnormally expressed, including Spadetail/Tbx16, which specifically prevents the normal onset of myoD transcription, leading to aberrant muscle formation...
- Griffin K, Kimelman D. Interplay between FGF, one-eyed pinhead, and T-box transcription factors during zebrafish posterior development. Dev Biol. 2003;264:456-66 pubmedThe zebrafish T-box transcription factors spadetail (spt) and the brachyury ortholog no tail (ntl) are together essential for posterior mesoderm formation...
- Ozbudak E, Tassy O, Pourquie O. Spatiotemporal compartmentalization of key physiological processes during muscle precursor differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:4224-9 pubmed publisher..These results should expand more investigations into the developmental control of metabolism. ..
- Payumo A, Walker W, McQuade L, Yamazoe S, Chen J. Optochemical dissection of T-box gene-dependent medial floor plate development. ACS Chem Biol. 2015;10:1466-75 pubmed publisher..cell-autonomous roles in mesoderm development, the zebrafish T-box transcription factors no tail a (ntla) and spadetail (spt/tbx16) are required for medial floor plate (MFP) formation...
- Paik E, Zon L. Hematopoietic development in the zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1127-37 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize hematopoiesis in the zebrafish and discuss how genetic approaches using the zebrafish system have helped to build our current knowledge in the field of hematopoiesis. ..
- Bouldin C, Manning A, Peng Y, Farr G, Hung K, Dong A, et al. Wnt signaling and tbx16 form a bistable switch to commit bipotential progenitors to mesoderm. Development. 2015;142:2499-507 pubmed publisher..Using a novel assay, we show that zebrafish Tbx16 (Spadetail) is capable of advancing mesodermal differentiation cell-autonomously...
- Honjo Y, Eisen J. Slow muscle regulates the pattern of trunk neural crest migration in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:4461-70 pubmed..The pattern of trunk neural crest migration is aberrant in spadetail mutants that have very reduced somitic mesoderm, in no tail mutants injected with spadetail morpholino antisense ..
- Kim H, Lee M, Jeong Y, Ro H, Kim D, Shin Y, et al. Ottogi Inhibits Wnt/?-catenin Signaling by Regulating Cell Membrane Trafficking of Frizzled8. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13278 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that OTG functions as a novel negative regulator of Wnt signaling during development by the modulation of cell surface expression of Fz receptor. ..
- Heisenberg C, Tada M. Zebrafish gastrulation movements: bridging cell and developmental biology. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2002;13:471-9 pubmed..The identification of the genes mutated in these lines together with the analysis of the mutant phenotypes has provided new insights into the molecular and cellular mechanisms that underlie vertebrate gastrulation movements. ..
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..Using mutants and morpholinos, we show that two T-box transcription factors-No tail (Ntl)/Brachyury and Tbx16/Spadetail-cooperatively regulate an early step of DFC mesenchyme to epithelial transition (MET) and KV cell specification...
- Cooper T, Spitsbergen J. Valvular and Mural Endocardiosis in Aging Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Vet Pathol. 2016;53:504-9 pubmed publisher..Valvular endocardiosis is a significant age- and husbandry-related background finding in zebrafish and should be considered in the design and interpretation of research studies. ..
- Wells S, Conran J, Tamme R, Gaudin A, Webb J, Lardelli M. Cryptic organisation within an apparently irregular rostrocaudal distribution of interneurons in the embryonic zebrafish spinal cord. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:3292-303 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate the need to investigate factors and mechanisms that determine "irregular" patterns of cell distribution, particularly in the central nervous system but also in other tissues of developing embryos...
- de Jong J, Davidson A, Wang Y, Palis J, Opara P, Pugach E, et al. Interaction of retinoic acid and scl controls primitive blood development. Blood. 2010;116:201-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies establish a new connection between RA and scl during development that may participate in stem cell self-renewal and hematopoietic differentiation. ..
- Slagle C, Aoki T, Burdine R. Nodal-dependent mesendoderm specification requires the combinatorial activities of FoxH1 and Eomesodermin. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002072 pubmed publisher..Our findings also offer novel insights into the co-evolution of the Nodal signaling pathway, the notochord specification program, and the chordate branch of the deuterostome family of animals. ..
- Wells S, Nornes S, Lardelli M. Transgenic zebrafish recapitulating tbx16 gene early developmental expression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21559 pubmed publisherWe describe the creation of a transgenic zebrafish expressing GFP driven by a 7.5 kb promoter region of the tbx16 gene...
- Hogan B, Pase L, Hall N, Lieschke G. Characterisation of duplicate zinc finger like 2 erythroid precursor genes in zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 2006;216:523-9 pubmed..expression in the hematopoietic intermediate mesoderm and derived erythrocytes required early genes cloche and spadetail, but not gata1...
- Arrington C, Peterson A, Yost H. Sdc2 and Tbx16 regulate Fgf2-dependent epithelial cell morphogenesis in the ciliated organ of asymmetry. Development. 2013;140:4102-9 pubmed publisher..ligand Fgf2 is exclusively expressed in KV cell lineages, and is dependent on Sdc2 and the transcription factor Tbx16. Strikingly, Fgf2 controls KV morphogenesis but not KV cilia length, and KV morphogenesis in sdc2 morphants can be ..
- Nair S, Schilling T. Chemokine signaling controls endodermal migration during zebrafish gastrulation. Science. 2008;322:89-92 pubmed publisher..This process may have relevance to human gastrointestinal bifurcations and other organ defects. ..