Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: star
Description: steroidogenic acute regulatory protein
Alias: steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, mitochondrial, START domain-containing protein 1, stARD1
- Heiden T, Struble C, Rise M, Hessner M, Hutz R, Carvan M. Molecular targets of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) within the zebrafish ovary: insights into TCDD-induced endocrine disruption and reproductive toxicity. Reprod Toxicol. 2008;25:47-57 pubmed..Data presented here provide further insight into the mechanisms by which TCDD disrupts follicular development and reproduction in fish, and can be used to formulate new hypotheses regarding previously documented ovarian toxicity. ..
- Zhang X, Zhong Y, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Impairment of the cortisol stress response mediated by the hypothalamus-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to monocrotophos pesticide. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;176-177:10-6 pubmed publisher..Considered together, the reduced ability to elevate cortisol levels in response to an acute stress may be an endocrine dysfunction occurring in zebrafish subchronically exposed to MCP pesticide. ..
- Tan T, Yu R, Wu R, Kong R. Overexpression and Knockdown of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 Disrupt the Expression of Steroidogenic Enzyme Genes and Early Embryonic Development in Zebrafish. Gene Regul Syst Bio. 2017;11:1177625017713193 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of zHIF-1? and hypoxia exposure resulted in downregulated StAR expression but upregulated CYP11a and 3?-HSD expression in zebrafish embryos...
- Morthorst J, Lister A, Bjerregaard P, Van der Kraak G. Ibuprofen reduces zebrafish PGE(2) levels but steroid hormone levels and reproductive parameters are not affected. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;157:251-7 pubmed publisher..This study shows that ibuprofen reduces PGE(2) levels in male and female zebrafish but has no consistent effects on other investigated reproductive parameters. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Dhanasiri A, Fernandes J, Kiron V. Acclimation of zebrafish to transport stress. Zebrafish. 2013;10:87-98 pubmed publisher..In addition, the relevant genes in hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis (crf in brain, mc2r, star, cyp11c1, and hsd11b2 in kidney), including that of mineralocorticoid receptor (mr in kidney), were studied...
- Romanowski M, Soccio R, Breslow J, Burley S. Crystal structure of the Mus musculus cholesterol-regulated START protein 4 (StarD4) containing a StAR-related lipid transfer domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:6949-54 pubmed..Additional mechanistic and evolutionary studies should be facilitated by the availability of a second START domain structure from a distant relative of MLN64. ..
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The disrupted expression of genes, such as ER?, ER?, FSHR, LHR, StAR, and 17?HSD, indicated the possible interference of PFNA on the HPGL axis function and sex hormone synthesis...
- Zhao Y, Yang Z, Phelan J, Wheeler D, Lin S, McCabe E. Zebrafish dax1 is required for development of the interrenal organ, the adrenal cortex equivalent. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:2630-40 pubmed..of dax1 function by morpholino oligonucleotides (MO) down-regulated expression of steroidogenic genes, cyp11a and star, and led to severe phenotypes similar to ff1b (SF1) MO-injected embryos...
- Tokarz J, Norton W, Moller G, Hrabe de Angelis M, Adamski J. Zebrafish 20?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 is important for glucocorticoid catabolism in stress response. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54851 pubmed publisher..Our experiments show that 20?-HSD type 2, together with 11?-HSD type 2, represents a short pathway in zebrafish to rapidly inactivate and excrete cortisol. Therefore, 20?-HSD type 2 is an important enzyme in stress response. ..
- Syu J, Baba T, Huang J, Ogawa H, Hsieh C, Hu J, et al. Lysosomal activity maintains glycolysis and cyclin E1 expression by mediating Ad4BP/SF-1 stability for proper steroidogenic cell growth. Sci Rep. 2017;7:240 pubmed publisher..In addition, treatment of zebrafish embryo with lysosomal inhibitor reduced the levels of the interrenal (adrenal) gland markers. Thus lysosomal activity maintains steroidogenic cell growth via stabilizing Ad4BP/SF-1 protein. ..
- Baker B, Yee J, Meyer D, Yang D, Baker T. Histological and Transcriptomic Changes in Male Zebrafish Testes Due to Early Life Exposure to Low Level 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-Dioxin. Zebrafish. 2016;13:413-23 pubmed publisher..These data will inform future investigations to elucidate the mechanism of adult-onset and transgenerational infertility due to TCDD exposure in zebrafish. ..
- Baudiffier D, Hinfray N, Ravaud C, Creusot N, Chadili E, Porcher J, et al. Effect of in vivo chronic exposure to clotrimazole on zebrafish testis function. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2013;20:2747-60 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that clotrimazole is able to affect testicular physiology and raised further concern about the impact of clotrimazole on reproduction. ..
- Morais R, Crespo D, Nóbrega R, Lemos M, van de Kant H, De Franca L, et al. Antagonistic regulation of spermatogonial differentiation in zebrafish (Danio rerio) by Igf3 and Amh. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017;454:112-124 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that an important aspect of Fsh bioactivity in stimulating spermatogenesis is implemented by restricting the different inhibitory effects of Amh and by counterbalancing them with stimulatory signals, such as Igf3. ..
- Gutierrez Triana J, Herget U, Castillo Ramírez L, Lutz M, Yeh C, De Marco R, et al. Manipulation of Interrenal Cell Function in Developing Zebrafish Using Genetically Targeted Ablation and an Optogenetic Tool. Endocrinology. 2015;156:3394-401 pubmed publisher..Thus, our approach allows specific manipulations of steroidogenic interrenal cell activity for studying the effects of both hypo- and hypercortisolemia in zebrafish. ..
- Ji K, Hong S, Kho Y, Choi K. Effects of bisphenol s exposure on endocrine functions and reproduction of zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:8793-800 pubmed publisher..Our observations showed that exposure to low level BPS could affect the feedback regulatory circuits of HPG axis and impair the development of offspring. ..
- Chu L, Li J, Liu Y, Cheng C. Gonadotropin Signaling in Zebrafish Ovary and Testis Development: Insights From Gene Knockout Study. Mol Endocrinol. 2015;29:1743-58 pubmed publisher..In the absence of FSH, LH could play a compensatory role by cross-reacting with FSHR in both male and female. ..
- Zhao F, Wei P, Wang J, Yu M, Zhang X, Tian H, et al. Estrogenic effects associated with bisphenol a exposure in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) is associated with changes of endogenous 17?-estradiol and gene specific DNA methylation levels. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;252:27-35 pubmed publisher..These observations provide evidence for the non-ERs mediated mechanisms underlying the estrogenic action of BPA on male zebrafish. ..
- Dang Y, Wang J, Giesy J, Liu C. Responses of the zebrafish hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal-liver axis PCR array to prochloraz are dependent on timing of sampling. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:154-9 pubmed publisher..Correlations among parameters in samples collected at the two times indicated the effects might be due to different concentrations of E2 in plasma due to exposure to PCZ. ..
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Clelland E, Kelly S. Exogenous GDF9 but not Activin A, BMP15 or TGF? alters tight junction protein transcript abundance in zebrafish ovarian follicles. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;171:211-7 pubmed publisher..GDF9 was also seen to increase the abundance of StAR mRNA in all but primary stage follicles...
- Nobrega R, Greebe C, van de Kant H, Bogerd J, de França L, Schulz R. Spermatogonial stem cell niche and spermatogonial stem cell transplantation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..This might be attributed to the testicular microenvironment created after busulfan depletion in the recipients, which may have caused an imbalance between factors regulating self-renewal or differentiation of the transplanted SSCs. ..
- Skaar K, Nóbrega R, Magaraki A, Olsen L, Schulz R, Male R. Proteolytically activated, recombinant anti-mullerian hormone inhibits androgen secretion, proliferation, and differentiation of spermatogonia in adult zebrafish testis organ cultures. Endocrinology. 2011;152:3527-40 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, zebrafish Amh is processed to become bioactive and has independent functions in inhibiting both steroidogenesis and spermatogenesis...
- Yu R, Chu D, Tan T, Li V, Chan A, Giesy J, et al. Leptin-mediated modulation of steroidogenic gene expression in hypoxic zebrafish embryos: implications for the disruption of sex steroids. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9112-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study indicates that hypoxia, possibly via HIF-1-induced leptin expression, modulates sex steroid synthesis by acting directly on steroidogenic gene expression. ..
- Arukwe A, Nordtug T, Kortner T, Mortensen A, Brakstad O. Modulation of steroidogenesis and xenobiotic biotransformation responses in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to water-soluble fraction of crude oil. Environ Res. 2008;107:362-70 pubmed publisher..WSF exposure produced apparent concentration-specific decrease of ER* and ERbeta, steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein, cytochrome P450 side-chain cleavage (P450scc), P450aromA and P450aromB mRNA expression...
- Urbatzka R, Rocha E, Reis B, Cruzeiro C, Monteiro R, Rocha M. Effects of ethinylestradiol and of an environmentally relevant mixture of xenoestrogens on steroidogenic gene expression and specific transcription factors in zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2012;164:28-35 pubmed publisher..Potential candidates for estrogenic disturbance of steroidogenesis were identified (StAR, 17?-HSD1, cyp19a1), but Mix only affected cyp19a1 in females...
- Zucchi S, Blüthgen N, Ieronimo A, Fent K. The UV-absorber benzophenone-4 alters transcripts of genes involved in hormonal pathways in zebrafish (Danio rerio) eleuthero-embryos and adult males. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;250:137-46 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that BP-4 interferes with the sex hormone system of fish, which is important for the risk assessment of this UV-absorber. ..
- Qi X, Salem M, Zhou W, Sato Shimizu M, Ye G, Smitz J, et al. Neurokinin B Exerts Direct Effects on the Ovary to Stimulate Estradiol Production. Endocrinology. 2016;157:3355-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings establish a direct action of NKB to induce ovarian estrogen production and raise the possibility that defective signaling of this pathway may contribute to the development of PCOS. ..
- Yelin Bekerman L, Elbaz I, Diber A, Dahary D, Gibbs Bar L, Alon S, et al. Hypocretin neuron-specific transcriptome profiling identifies the sleep modulator Kcnh4a. elife. 2015;4:e08638 pubmed publisher..The mutant kcnh4a (kcnh4a(-/-)) larvae showed reduced sleep time and consolidation, specifically during the night, suggesting that Kcnh4a regulates sleep. ..
- Santos da Rosa J, Alcântara Barcellos H, Fagundes M, Variani C, Rossini M, Kalichak F, et al. Muscarinic receptors mediate the endocrine-disrupting effects of an organophosphorus insecticide in zebrafish. Environ Toxicol. 2017;32:1964-1972 pubmed publisher..stress response by altering the expression of key genes of the neural steroidogenesis, causing downregulation of star, hsp70, and pomc genes...
- Gill J, Lowe L, Nguyen J, Liu P, Blake T, Venkatesh B, et al. Enforced expression of Simian virus 40 large T-antigen leads to testicular germ cell tumors in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2010;7:333-41 pubmed publisher..In addition, enforced expression of the zebrafish stem cell leukemia (scl) gene in the zebrafish testes also generated TGCTs in transgenic fish. These results demonstrate the feasibility of studying TGCTs in a model organism. ..
- Ings J, van der Kraak G. Characterization of the mRNA expression of StAR and steroidogenic enzymes in zebrafish ovarian follicles. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:943-54 pubmed..to investigate the levels of expression of steroid biosynthetic enzymes and steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR) at different stages of ovarian follicular development in zebrafish (Danio rerio), and to investigate the sites ..
- Ma Y, Cao C, Wang Q, Gui W, Zhu G. Effects of azocyclotin on gene transcription and steroid metabolome of hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and their consequences on reproduction in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;179:55-64 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results indicate that exposure to azocyclotin can impair reproduction in fish, and induce toxicity related abnormalities in non-exposed offspring. ..
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang X, Zhou L, Gui J. Distinct and Cooperative Roles of amh and dmrt1 in Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Male Germ Cells in Zebrafish. Genetics. 2017;207:1007-1022 pubmed publisher..Significantly, this study unravels novel functions of amh gene in fish. ..
- Liu C, Yu H, Zhang X. Zebrafish embryos/larvae for rapid determination of effects on hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) and hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis: mRNA expression. Chemosphere. 2013;93:2327-32 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we studied the effects of PTU or MET on the cross-talk between HPT and HPI axis. The results demonstrated that PTU and MET could affect cross-talk responses in zebrafish embryos/larvae. ..
- Santangeli S, Maradonna F, Gioacchini G, Cobellis G, Piccinetti C, Dalla Valle L, et al. BPA-Induced Deregulation Of Epigenetic Patterns: Effects On Female Zebrafish Reproduction. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21982 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the negative effects of BPA on the female reproductive system may be due to its upstream ability to deregulate epigenetic mechanism. ..
- Garcia Reyero N, Escalon B, Prats E, Stanley J, Thienpont B, Melby N, et al. Effects of BDE-209 contaminated sediments on zebrafish development and potential implications to human health. Environ Int. 2014;63:216-23 pubmed publisher..Once accumulated, our data also show that BDE-209 has the potential to cause impacts on both human and environmental health. ..
- Nesan D, Vijayan M. The transcriptomics of glucocorticoid receptor signaling in developing zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80726 pubmed publisher..Together, this study underscores a critical role for glucocorticoid signaling in programming molecular events essential for zebrafish development. ..
- Yu M, Zhang X, Guo L, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Anti-estrogenic effect of semicarbazide in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its potential mechanisms. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;170:262-270 pubmed publisher..These effects were observed at environmentally relevant concentrations and highlight the importance of controlling SMC contamination. ..
- Morais R, Nóbrega R, Gómez González N, Schmidt R, Bogerd J, França L, et al. Thyroid hormone stimulates the proliferation of Sertoli cells and single type A spermatogonia in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) testis. Endocrinology. 2013;154:4365-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies suggest that T3 expands the population of SCs and A(und) involving Igf signaling and potentiates gonadotropin-stimulated testicular androgen production as well as androgen sensitivity. ..
- da Rosa J, Koakoski G, Piato A, Bogo M, Bonan C, Barcellos L. Impaired brain StAR and HSP70 gene expression in zebrafish exposed to Methyl-Parathion based insecticide. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2016;79:1-7 pubmed publisher..affected gene expression patterns of brain glucocorticoid receptor (GR), steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR), and heat shock protein 70 (hsp70) in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to this chemical for 96 h...
- Bauer M, Bridgham J, Langenau D, Johnson A, Goetz F. Conservation of steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein structure and expression in vertebrates. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2000;168:119-25 pubmedComplementary DNAs for the open reading frames of the chicken, Xenopus and zebrafish StAR homologs were cloned along with a partial cDNA of the zebrafish homolog to MLN64, a StAR-related protein...
- Collard H, Ji K, Lee S, Liu X, Kang S, Kho Y, et al. Toxicity and endocrine disruption in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and two freshwater invertebrates (Daphnia magna and Moina macrocopa) after chronic exposure to mefenamic acid. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2013;94:80-6 pubmed publisher..However, the effective concentrations are orders of magnitude greater than those occurring in the ambient aquatic environment. ..
- Li X, Guo J, Li X, Zhou H, Zhang S, Liu X, et al. Behavioural effect of low-dose BPA on male zebrafish: Tuning of male mating competition and female mating preference during courtship process. Chemosphere. 2017;169:40-52 pubmed publisher..In sum, our results shed light on the potential behavioural and physiological effect of low-dose BPA exposure on courtship behaviours of zebrafish, which could exert profound consequences on natural zebrafish populations. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. The effects of progesterone on transcriptional expression profiles of genes associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes during the early development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2015;128:199-206 pubmed publisher..The overall results from the present study indicate that P4 at environmentally relevant concentrations could cause the potential effects on zebrafish reproductive and adrenal endocrine systems by interfering with the HPG and HPA axes. ..
- De Marco R, Thiemann T, Groneberg A, Herget U, Ryu S. Optogenetically enhanced pituitary corticotroph cell activity post-stress onset causes rapid organizing effects on behaviour. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12620 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the findings uncover the significance of endocrine pituitary cells for rapidly optimizing behaviour in local antagonistic environments. ..
- Sohn J, Kim S, Koschorreck J, Kho Y, Choi K. Alteration of sex hormone levels and steroidogenic pathway by several low molecular weight phthalates and their metabolites in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) and/or human adrenal cell (H295R) line. J Hazard Mater. 2016;320:45-54 pubmed publisher..All test compounds significantly up-regulated cyp19a gene expression, and down-regulated star and 3Î² hsd genes in the male fish...
- Davis D, Bryda E, Gillespie C, Ericsson A. Microbial modulation of behavior and stress responses in zebrafish larvae. Behav Brain Res. 2016;311:219-227 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the importance of the microbiota in communicating to the CNS via the microbiome-gut-brain axis and set a foundation for using zebrafish larvae for neuroimmune research. ..
- Jeffrey J, Gilmour K. Programming of the hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal axis by maternal social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Exp Biol. 2016;219:1734-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest programming of stress axis function in zebrafish offspring by maternal social status, emphasizing the importance of maternal environment and experience on offspring stress axis activity...
- Liu W, Chen C, Chen L, Wang L, Li J, Chen Y, et al. Sex-dependent effects of microcystin-LR on hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis and gametogenesis of adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22819 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study first investigated the sex-dependent effects of microcystins on fish reproduction and revealed some important molecular biomarkers related to gametogenesis in zebrafish suffered from MC-LR. ..
- Facchinello N, Skobo T, Meneghetti G, Colletti E, Dinarello A, Tiso N, et al. nr3c1 null mutant zebrafish are viable and reveal DNA-binding-independent activities of the glucocorticoid receptor. Sci Rep. 2017;7:4371 pubmed publisher..Hence, the zebrafish gr mutant line appears as a useful tool to investigate Gr functions in an integrated in vivo model. ..
- Nesan D, Vijayan M. Maternal Cortisol Mediates Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Interrenal Axis Development in Zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22582 pubmed publisher..response corresponded with altered expression of key HPI axis genes, including crf, 11B hydroxylase, pomca, and star, which were upregulated in response to reduced cortisol availability and downregulated when embryos had excess ..
- To T, Hahner S, Nica G, Rohr K, Hammerschmidt M, Winkler C, et al. Pituitary-interrenal interaction in zebrafish interrenal organ development. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:472-85 pubmed..fertilization (2 dpf) interrenal development assessed by transcripts of key steroidogenic genes (cyp11a1, mc2r, star) is independent of proopiomelanocortin (Pomc) as demonstrated in aal/eya1and lia/fgf3 mutants...
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. A time-course transcriptional kinetics of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes in zebrafish eleutheroembryos after exposure to norgestrel. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015;34:112-9 pubmed publisher..The transcriptional expression levels of Esr1, Ar, Star, Hsd17b3, Fshb, and Pomc were also mediated by 5â€‰ngâ€‰L(-1) norgestrel or higher during different ..
- Fuzzen M, Bernier N, Van der Kraak G. Differential effects of 17?-estradiol and 11-ketotestosterone on the endocrine stress response in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;170:365-73 pubmed publisher..Therefore, while we found no evidence that zebrafish exhibit a sexually dimorphic cortisol stress response, both E2 and 11KT can modulate the activity of the HPI axis in this species and do so via different mechanisms. ..
- Ji K, Liu X, Lee S, Kang S, Kho Y, Giesy J, et al. Effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on hormones and genes of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and reproduction of zebrafish. J Hazard Mater. 2013;254-255:242-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that ibuprofen could modulate hormone production and related gene transcription of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Chen W, Liu L, Ge W. Expression analysis of growth differentiation factor 9 (Gdf9/gdf9), anti-müllerian hormone (Amh/amh) and aromatase (Cyp19a1a/cyp19a1a) during gonadal differentiation of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Biol Reprod. 2017;96:401-413 pubmed publisher..Our data suggested that Gdf9 is likely involved in promoting oocyte/ovary differentiation in the zebrafish and it may act by suppressing amh expression, at least partly, in the somatic cells. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang L, Zhou W, Wang H, Zhang J, Deng S, et al. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2: a novel gene involved in zebrafish central nervous system development. Dev Biol. 2013;381:38-49 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Morpholino knockdown of ztfpi-2 resulted in upregulation of neuronal markers while downregulation of glial markers, providing evidence that the Notch pathway is probably involved in ztfpi-2-mediated CNS development. ..