Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sst2
Description: somatostatin 2
Alias: PPSS2, SSII, smst, som, sst, somatostatin 2, SS4
- Wang Y, Rovira M, Yusuff S, Parsons M. Genetic inducible fate mapping in larval zebrafish reveals origins of adult insulin-producing ?-cells. Development. 2011;138:609-17 pubmed publisher..As pancreas organogenesis continues, the ventral bud derived PNCs align along the duct, remain multipotent and later in development differentiate to form secondary islets, ducts and CACs. ..
- Flasse L, Pirson J, Stern D, Von Berg V, Manfroid I, Peers B, et al. Ascl1b and Neurod1, instead of Neurog3, control pancreatic endocrine cell fate in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2013;11:78 pubmed publisher..It is repressed by Notch signaling that prevents pancreatic cell differentiation by maintaining precursors in an undifferentiated state...
- Binot A, Manfroid I, Flasse L, Winandy M, Motte P, Martial J, et al. Nkx6.1 and nkx6.2 regulate alpha- and beta-cell formation in zebrafish by acting on pancreatic endocrine progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2010;340:397-407 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our data, we propose a model in which nkx6.1 and nkx6.2, by allowing the establishment of the endocrine progenitor pool, control alpha- and beta-cell differentiation. ..
- Pisharath H, Rhee J, Swanson M, Leach S, Parsons M. Targeted ablation of beta cells in the embryonic zebrafish pancreas using E. coli nitroreductase. Mech Dev. 2007;124:218-29 pubmed
- Kim H, Sumanas S, Palencia Desai S, Dong Y, Chen J, Lin S. Genetic analysis of early endocrine pancreas formation in zebrafish. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:194-203 pubmed..Further study on these mutants will reveal important information on novel genes involved in pancreatic islet cell specification and morphogenesis. ..
- Wyett G, Gibert Y, Ellis M, Castillo H, Jan Kaslin -, Aston Mourney K. Metformin, beta-cell development, and novel processes following beta-cell ablation in zebrafish. Endocrine. 2018;59:419-425 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this study provides a greater understanding of the beta-cell development/regenerative processes and the effect of metformin, bringing us closer to identifying how to increase beta-cells in humans. ..
- Boltaña S, Rey S, Roher N, Vargas R, Huerta M, Huntingford F, et al. Behavioural fever is a synergic signal amplifying the innate immune response. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20131381 pubmed publisher..Given the effects of behavioural fever on survival and the fact that it exists across considerable phylogenetic space, such immunity-environment interactions are likely to be under strong positive selection. ..
- Mesquita S, van Drooge B, Dall Osto M, Grimalt J, Barata C, Vieira N, et al. Toxic potential of organic constituents of submicron particulate matter (PM1) in an urban road site (Barcelona). Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:15406-15415 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the toxic potential of PM1 organic chemical constituents strongly depends on the emission sources and on the process of ageing from primary to secondary organic aerosols. ..
- Kinkel M, Eames S, Alonzo M, Prince V. Cdx4 is required in the endoderm to localize the pancreas and limit beta-cell number. Development. 2008;135:919-29 pubmed publisher..In support of this, we demonstrate that in cdx4-deficient embryos treated with RA, ectopic beta-cells are located well posterior to the normal pancreatic domain. ..
- Ghaye A, Bergemann D, TarifeÃ±o Saldivia E, Flasse L, Von Berg V, Peers B, et al. Progenitor potential of nkx6.1-expressing cells throughout zebrafish life and during beta cell regeneration. BMC Biol. 2015;13:70 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the hypothesis that nkx6.1+ pancreatic progenitors contribute to beta cell regeneration. Further characterization of these cells will open up new perspectives for anti-diabetic therapies. ..
- Mesquita S, van Drooge B, Oliveira E, Grimalt J, Barata C, Vieira N, et al. Differential embryotoxicity of the organic pollutants in rural and urban air particles. Environ Pollut. 2015;206:535-42 pubmed publisher..The observed effects can be directly related to air pollution-related human disorders, suggesting different potential adverse outcomes for human populations exposed to air pollution from specific sources. ..
- Stetsyuk V, Peers B, Mavropoulos A, Verbruggen V, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Calsenilin is required for endocrine pancreas development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1517-25 pubmed..Taken together, our results show that zebrafish calsenilin is involved in endocrine cell differentiation and morphogenesis within the pancreas. ..
- Kinkel M, Sefton E, Kikuchi Y, Mizoguchi T, Ward A, Prince V. Cyp26 enzymes function in endoderm to regulate pancreatic field size. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7864-9 pubmed publisher..Such feedback can maintain consistent levels of RA signaling, despite environmental fluctuations in RA concentration, thus ensuring a consistent size and location of the pancreatic field. ..
- Doll C, Burkart J, Hope K, Halpern M, Gamse J. Subnuclear development of the zebrafish habenular nuclei requires ER translocon function. Dev Biol. 2011;360:44-57 pubmed publisher..Our results show that in the absence of sec61al1, an excess of precursor cells for the LsDh exit the ventricular region and differentiate, resulting in formation of bilaterally symmetric habenular nuclei. ..
- Kloosterman W, Lagendijk A, Ketting R, Moulton J, Plasterk R. Targeted inhibition of miRNA maturation with morpholinos reveals a role for miR-375 in pancreatic islet development. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e203 pubmed..The miRNA knockdown strategy presented here will be widely used to unravel miRNA function in zebrafish. ..
- Djiotsa J, Verbruggen V, Giacomotto J, Ishibashi M, Manning E, Rinkwitz S, et al. Pax4 is not essential for beta-cell differentiation in zebrafish embryos but modulates alpha-cell generation by repressing arx gene expression. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:37 pubmed publisher..These data suggests that the main original function of Pax4 during vertebrate evolution was to modulate the number of pancreatic ?-cells and its role in ?-cells differentiation appeared later in vertebrate evolution. ..
- Li Z, Korzh V, Gong Z. Localized rbp4 expression in the yolk syncytial layer plays a role in yolk cell extension and early liver development. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:117 pubmed..YSL-expressed Rbp4 plays a role in formation of both yolk extension and liver bud, the latter may also require migration of liver progenitor cells. ..
- Mesquita S, Dachs J, van Drooge B, Castro JimÃ©nez J, Navarro MartÃn L, Barata C, et al. Toxicity assessment of atmospheric particulate matter in the Mediterranean and Black Seas open waters. Sci Total Environ. 2016;545-546:163-70 pubmed publisher..The present study emphasizes the need for more in-depth studies into the toxic burden of atmospheric PM on aquatic ecosystems, in order to improve future regulatory guidelines. ..
- Delaspre F, Beer R, Rovira M, Huang W, Wang G, Gee S, et al. Centroacinar Cells Are Progenitors That Contribute to Endocrine Pancreas Regeneration. Diabetes. 2015;64:3499-509 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that in cftr loss-of-function mutants, there is a deficiency of larval CACs, providing a possible explanation for pancreatic complications associated with cystic fibrosis. ..
- WANG Y, Park J, Parsons M, Leach S. Fate mapping of ptf1a-expressing cells during pancreatic organogenesis and regeneration in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:724-35 pubmed publisher..As in mammals, loss of ptf1a results in conversion of nascent pancreatic progenitor cells to non-pancreatic cell fates, underscoring the central role of ptf1a in foregut tissue specification. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Facchin L, Argenton F, Bisazza A. Lines of Danio rerio selected for opposite behavioural lateralization show differences in anatomical left-right asymmetries. Behav Brain Res. 2009;197:157-65 pubmed publisher..The association between the direction of behavioural selection and pancreas position was less clear-cut, although the concordance between visceral and brain asymmetries exceeded 90% in both strains. ..
- Wilfinger A, Arkhipova V, Meyer D. Cell type and tissue specific function of islet genes in zebrafish pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2013;378:25-37 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal a novel interaction of isl1 and isl2 genes in exocrine pancreas expansion and cell type specific requirements during endocrine cell maturation...
- Liu Y, Lu D, Zhang Y, Li S, Liu X, Lin H. The evolution of somatostatin in vertebrates. Gene. 2010;463:21-8 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we identified six SS genes in zebrafish and named them SS1, SS2, SS3, SS4, SS5 and SS6...
- Ye L, Robertson M, Hesselson D, Stainier D, Anderson R. Glucagon is essential for alpha cell transdifferentiation and beta cell neogenesis. Development. 2015;142:1407-17 pubmed publisher..It further reveals that glucagon plays an important role in maintaining endocrine cell homeostasis through feedback mechanisms that govern cell fate stability. ..
- Tostivint H, Joly L, Lihrmann I, Ekker M, Vaudry H. Chromosomal localization of three somatostatin genes in zebrafish. Evidence that the [Pro2]-somatostatin-14 isoform and cortistatin are encoded by orthologous genes. J Mol Endocrinol. 2004;33:R1-8 pubmed..The occurrence of three somatostatin genes, termed SS1, SS2 and SSII, has been previously demonstrated in the zebrafish...
- Lu J, Liu K, Schulz N, Karampelias C, Charbord J, Hilding A, et al. IGFBP1 increases ?-cell regeneration by promoting ?- to ?-cell transdifferentiation. EMBO J. 2016;35:2026-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify IGFBP1 as an endogenous promoter of ?-cell regeneration and highlight its clinical importance in diabetes. ..
- McGonnell I, Fowkes R. Fishing for gene function--endocrine modelling in the zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:425-39 pubmed..We anticipate that the use of these techniques will make the zebrafish a prominent model in endocrine research in the coming years. ..
- Timme Laragy A, Sant K, Rousseau M, diIorio P. Deviant development of pancreatic beta cells from embryonic exposure to PCB-126 in zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;178:25-32 pubmed publisher..This study shows that embryonic exposure to PCB-126 can result in deviant development of the pancreatic islet and suggests that Nrf2a plays a role in regulating glucose homeostasis during development. ..
- Dalgin G, Prince V. Differential levels of Neurod establish zebrafish endocrine pancreas cell fates. Dev Biol. 2015;402:81-97 pubmed publisher..In summary, differential levels of Neurod are required to generate endocrine pancreas subtypes from precursors during both embryonic and larval stages, and Neurod function is in turn critical to endocrine function. ..
- Zhang C, Forlano P, Cone R. AgRP and POMC neurons are hypophysiotropic and coordinately regulate multiple endocrine axes in a larval teleost. Cell Metab. 2012;15:256-64 pubmed publisher..This identifies the mechanism by which the central melanocortin system coordinately regulates growth and reproduction in teleosts and suggests it is an important anatomical substrate for evolutionary adaptation. ..
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Li Z, Wen C, Peng J, Korzh V, Gong Z. Generation of living color transgenic zebrafish to trace somatostatin-expressing cells and endocrine pancreas organization. Differentiation. 2009;77:128-34 pubmed publisherIn the present study, both gfp and rfp transgenic zebrafish lines using a 2.5-kb zebrafish somatostatin2 (sst2) promoter were generated...
- Li Z, Korzh V, Gong Z. DTA-mediated targeted ablation revealed differential interdependence of endocrine cell lineages in early development of zebrafish pancreas. Differentiation. 2009;78:241-52 pubmed publisher..toxin gene A chain (DTA) under two cell type-specific promoters derived from the insulin (ins) and somatostatin2 (sst2) genes was used to ablate the two types of endocrine cells: insulin-producing beta-cells and somatostatin-producing ..
- Hong E, Santhakumar K, Akitake C, Ahn S, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Cholinergic left-right asymmetry in the habenulo-interpeduncular pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:21171-6 pubmed publisher..Our studies of the newly identified cholinergic gene locus resolve the neurotransmitter identity of the zebrafish habenular nuclei and reveal functional asymmetry in a major cholinergic neuromodulatory pathway of the vertebrate brain. ..
- Flasse L, Stern D, Pirson J, Manfroid I, Peers B, Voz M. The bHLH transcription factor Ascl1a is essential for the specification of the intestinal secretory cells and mediates Notch signaling in the zebrafish intestine. Dev Biol. 2013;376:187-97 pubmed publisher..This highlights the diversity in the ARP/ASCL family members acting as cell fate determinants downstream from Notch signaling. ..